PDA

View Full Version : Throwback Thursday: Barry "Bananas" Foster

Jooser
03-31-2022, 09:49 AM
1,690 yrds. still the leading rusher in Steelers history after 30+ years....

Hope yinz enjoy...

https://youtu.be/Bw5YXPXBOnY

joos, out

T.Ferguson
03-31-2022, 10:24 AM
He was so fun to watch, definitely one of my favorite Steeler RB's ever even though his career was cut short due to injuries, I wonder if the astroturf had something to do with that.

flippy
03-31-2022, 10:26 AM
Foster is the definition of running til the wheels come off. He had 1 epic season and then fell apart after that.

I forgot about the KO that he treated like it was punt that would be downed and gave up an easy TD. That's gotta be one of the all time most embarrassing plays in Steelers history.

Hi career reminds us how hard it is to have a long career as a RB.

Jooser
03-31-2022, 10:40 AM
One of my favorite plays was against the Bills when he took the screen to the house. I also loved watching highlights on Sports Center when Berman would call him Barry "Bananas" Foster.....classic....

SteelerOfDeVille
03-31-2022, 11:24 AM
Best pure runner the franchise has ever seen, IMO

feltdizz
03-31-2022, 11:32 AM
Noll’s player?? :p

Retired at 26? Damn.. I know he had a short career with us but never realized his career was that short.

whisper
03-31-2022, 11:32 AM
One if the most underrated players in team history, period.

WindyCitySteel
03-31-2022, 11:42 AM
Best pure runner the franchise has ever seen, IMO

Yikes, really? He basically followed his lead blocker and bowled over tacklers. I'd rate Bell much better.

feltdizz
03-31-2022, 11:48 AM
Yikes, really? He basically followed his lead blocker and bowled over tacklers. I'd rate Bell much better.

yeah.. I mean, it was a great season and Foster’s production was unexpected but Bettis and Bell were better “pure” runners.

Not even sure what a pure runner is tho..lol.

feltdizz
03-31-2022, 11:52 AM
Foster is the definition of running til the wheels come off. He had 1 epic season and then fell apart after that.

I forgot about the KO that he treated like it was punt that would be downed and gave up an easy TD. That's gotta be one of the all time most embarrassing plays in Steelers history.

Hi career reminds us how hard it is to have a long career as a RB.

Its hard for anyone to have a long career in the NFL. The average is still 3 years and change. I think its just wild to go from 1700 yards to retired so quickly.

But science and recovery has changed dramatically in the last 30 years. Some of the injuries that used to kill careers can be fixed in 6 months these days.

whisper
03-31-2022, 12:16 PM
Noll’s player?? :p

Retired at 26? Damn.. I know he had a short career with us but never realized his career was that short.

He had two camps since he left Pgh, one in Cinci and one in SF, IIRC. He said he just couldn't "tough it out" anymore and it was just too hard to do. This coming from the player Noll called "The toughest player I have ever seen." Think about that.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-31-2022, 01:04 PM
Not even sure what a pure runner is tho..lol.
His vision, speed, power combination. I'm excluding hands, ability to pick up blitz, etc... simply including his RUNNING skills.

Some were faster (Parker). Some may have been more powerful (Bettis). Foster actually had speed to take it to the house, which Bettis did not have. Bell's the best all-around (especially considering his input to the pass game) but as a RB, he wasn't as good as Foster. Najee so far has impressed from an all-around perspective.

But, Foster's skillset paired with his ability to make use of it... Sure, he followed his blocks and went through holes - all backs don't even do that correctly. He saw the hole, he hit the hole. His ability to read a block and cut off it is better than any other back we've had, IMO. And he was a big back with wiggle, which is a rare find - most big backs only have "run you over" in their bag of tricks.

If he's healthy, I take him over Bettis and i love the Bus. Now I'd take Bell, but this is mostly because of the versatility he had as a receiver.

feltdizz
03-31-2022, 01:16 PM
He had two camps since he left Pgh, one in Cinci and one in SF, IIRC. He said he just couldn't "tough it out" anymore and it was just too hard to do. This coming from the player Noll called "The toughest player I have ever seen." Think about that.

I wonder what his injuries were that made it too hard to tough it out.

Also could be one of those players who didn’t love the game as much as they thought.

A quick search shows that he made a ton of mistakes early on but Noll told the coaches to back off when they were going in on him. Once we put the power run game together it all clicked.. but just for one season.

That failed 4th down pass play vs the Chargers was his last NFL play.

He failed a physical with Carolina then tried to come back with the Bungals but said he felt like a 60 year old RB.

feltdizz
03-31-2022, 01:18 PM
His vision, speed, power combination. I'm excluding hands, ability to pick up blitz, etc... simply including his RUNNING skills.

Some were faster (Parker). Some may have been more powerful (Bettis). Foster actually had speed to take it to the house, which Bettis did not have. Bell's the best all-around (especially considering his input to the pass game) but as a RB, he wasn't as good as Foster. Najee so far has impressed from an all-around perspective.

But, Foster's skillset paired with his ability to make use of it... Sure, he followed his blocks and went through holes - all backs don't even do that correctly. He saw the hole, he hit the hole. His ability to read a block and cut off it is better than any other back we've had, IMO. And he was a big back with wiggle, which is a rare find - most big backs only have "run you over" in their bag of tricks.

If he's healthy, I take him over Bettis and i love the Bus. Now I'd take Bell, but this is mostly because of the versatility he had as a receiver.

hmm.. I would have to take Bettis simply for the ability to do both.

Maybe if Barry had a few more seasons under his belt but he flashed and then poof, he was gone.

flippy
03-31-2022, 01:32 PM

I'd take Najee over all of them. He's had the toughest road with a really inept offense and we haven't gotten to see what he can really do.

And don't forget about Big Willie Parker. He had as good a career YPC as anyone at 4.3 YPA. I think Bell, Conner, Foster, and Parker were the ones to hit that mark while in Pittsburgh. But Parker might deserve a bit of a nod cause of his SuperBowl TD run that could have been the difference in that game. Not sure any other Steeler back takes that 70 yarder to the house :)

SteelerOfDeVille
03-31-2022, 01:42 PM
hmm.. I would have to take Bettis simply for the ability to do both.

Maybe if Barry had a few more seasons under his belt but he flashed and then poof, he was gone.
THAT was the problem... he was the man, then he was gone...

SteelerOfDeVille
03-31-2022, 01:44 PM
I'd take Najee over all of them. He's had the toughest road with a really inept offense and we haven't gotten to see what he can really do.

And don't forget about Big Willie Parker. He had as good a career YPC as anyone at 4.3 YPA. I think Bell, Conner, Foster, and Parker were the ones to hit that mark while in Pittsburgh. But Parker might deserve a bit of a nod cause of his SuperBowl TD run that could have been the difference in that game. Not sure any other Steeler back takes that 70 yarder to the house :)
Love Najee and would love to say the same... However, gimme Lev Bell over all of 'em - though I'd love to see Naj behind a good like to prove me wrong. In one year with a crap line, he certainly impressed.

Northern_Blitz
03-31-2022, 02:56 PM
Love Najee and would love to say the same... However, gimme Lev Bell over all of 'em - though I'd love to see Naj behind a good like to prove me wrong. In one year with a crap line, he certainly impressed.

I'm in this camp too.

Bell until Najee proves he's better. Which I hope he does.

Hopefully we get lots of playoff games with Najee. If he can be anywhere near where Bell was (in playoff games he was healthy for), that would be awesome.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-31-2022, 03:01 PM
I'm in this camp too.

Bell until Najee proves he's better. Which I hope he does.

Hopefully we get lots of playoff games with Najee. If he can be anywhere near where Bell was (in playoff games he was healthy for), that would be awesome.
here's to hoping for lots of playoff games post Ben...

Chucktownsteeler
03-31-2022, 04:56 PM
Foster was a great player, thanks for posting. I think I read somewhere he became a policeman after retiring from the NFL.

WindyCitySteel
03-31-2022, 05:26 PM

You must be thinking of someone else. Bell's vision was unmatched, along with his ability to start/stop. Wicked straight arm, too.

I don't see anything special here, which matches my memory of Foster. I'd rank him below Franco, Bettis, and Bell. Najee needs to show more, but he's got more talent, too.

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/03/flashback-friday-steelers-rb-barry-foster-carves-up-jets-in-1992/

Flasteel
03-31-2022, 08:58 PM
Bettis all day long. The big man had better feet then all of them and I'll never forget the day I saw him outrun Derrick Brooks on a long TD run...creating space between them I might add. He was not a slow human.

Captain Lemming
03-31-2022, 11:15 PM

That is when I knew Tomlin didn't know how to manage running backs.

Captain Lemming
03-31-2022, 11:25 PM

For those who ONLY look at playoffs Parker is best player is Steeler history. :)

Steelers have never lost a playoff start with Parker.
7-0.

The only playoff losses of his career? Before he won the job from Bettis (loss to Patriots) and loss to Jags Tomlins first season.

Captain Lemming
03-31-2022, 11:40 PM
My favorite memory of Foster is that I picked him as a first year starter on my fantasy team as a pure "homer" move when he had his huge season. I had no basis whatsoever to pick him.

He is why I won my league. He is my favorite back of all time as a result. :)

Homerism killed every other fantasy team I have had and I stopped playing YEARS ago because I could not separate fantasy from fandom.

Northern_Blitz
04-01-2022, 09:15 AM
That is when I knew Tomlin didn't know how to manage running backs.

https://imgs.search.brave.com/1SNh_pVq9LBeUFyMJb4IzsD1KijzOvqQwm5oXg7eb1o/rs:fit:245:326:1/g:ce/aHR0cDovL2ltZzIu/d2lraWEubm9jb29r/aWUubmV0L19fY2Iy/MDEzMDQyMjA0NDIw/Ni9nbGVlL2ltYWdl/cy9mL2YyL0xlby1U/b2FzdC5naWY.gif

Jooser
04-01-2022, 10:24 AM
Here ya go, Barry hangs 210 yrds on the Colts....circ. 1992

Lots of old names running around in this clip, many memories...

https://youtu.be/E_hi4bcz7Ag

Jooser
04-01-2022, 10:38 AM
Since we're ranking backs, what about this guy?

https://youtu.be/LNb9xj5BdUE

Captain Lemming
04-01-2022, 02:33 PM
https://imgs.search.brave.com/1SNh_pVq9LBeUFyMJb4IzsD1KijzOvqQwm5oXg7eb1o/rs:fit:245:326:1/g:ce/aHR0cDovL2ltZzIu/d2lraWEubm9jb29r/aWUubmV0L19fY2Iy/MDEzMDQyMjA0NDIw/Ni9nbGVlL2ltYWdl/cy9mL2YyL0xlby1U/b2FzdC5naWY.gif

NorthCoast, I am glad we agree on how poorly Tomlin manages his backs.

If only others could see with our clarity.

It doesn't stop there. There is only ONE Steeler back who is top 5 of any career category.

Jerome Bettis is top 5 all time in carries. Not just the number but brusing carries taking multiple shots.

Tomlin destroyed that man too by running him to death resulting his having an all too brief 13 year career. Like a shooting star, his light was so bright, so short.

If Tomlin only knew how to manage his backs like his predecessor, Bettis would surely be a HOF back.

Captain Lemming
04-01-2022, 02:50 PM
Doesn't stop there. There is only ONE Steeler back who is top 5 of any career category.

Jerome Bettis is top 5 all time in carries. Not just the number but brusing carries taking multiple shots.

Tomlin destroyed that man too by running him to death resulting his having an all too brief 12 year career.

If Tomlin only knew how to manage his backs like his predecessor, Bettis would surely be a HOF back.

You think I'm done? Not close my friends.

Further proof is the example WE ALL know as proof that Tomlin cannot manage backs. Let's all say his name together.

"WILLIE PARKER".

Yes, the player Tomlin NOTORIOUSLY said he'd run the wheels off.

Parker had a ridiculous CAREER HIGH 337 carries in 2006. For what? The team MISSED THE PLAYOFFS for the first time in Ben's career.

Willie Parker 2006 season!

AGAIN proof that TOMLIN, unlike his all wise HOF predecessor has NO IDEA how to manage runningback touches.