PDA

View Full Version : For those in the Honey Badger crowd...

Sager
03-31-2022, 02:56 AM
After looking very closely at the numbers (spotrac.com is awesome), I'm happy to report that it does seem possible to offer the honey badger a 3yr/$42 mil contract ($14m aav). We're going to have to restructure/void years Diontae, Fitz, and Tuitt in 2024, and also restructure TJ in 2023, but it is actually a realistic contract to take on.

It's obvious the team is interested with Coach T already putting out feelers to Mathieu, but it's been shot down in the media due to figuring that we can't pay the SS and FS positions big money at the same time. That is simply not true.

Getting Mathieu definitely will limit our options in the future- i.e. resigning Mitch in 2024, if he turns out to be good, will hurt a lot thru other cap casualties (should draft a QB early in 2022 to try to keep position cheap as long as possible). And we can also pretty much forget any free agents except for our own extensions in '23 and '24 (not as big of a problem cause we shouldn't need any anyway.)

The big question is does he want to play here that badly? Tyrann should probably be able to get 4yr/$64 mil ($16m aav) from a NO, IND, or maybe LV. But everyone says, to play for a Tomlin/Flores tandem... And for the people who wondered what a Polamalu/Reed secondary would look like.... Mathieu/Fitzpatrick may well be as close as we get anytime soon.

hawaiiansteel
03-31-2022, 03:24 AM
I think it's a long shot.

is it wise to tie up that much $$$ in the safety position?

flippy
03-31-2022, 07:38 AM
Why not go for it?

Until you have the CB to pay, why not give the money to Tyrann and make the D as good as we can for the next 2-3 years?

This could be our best D in ages that could carry us to a championship. Having another S that can cover and make plays on balls would be a huge upgrade for our D overall.

Just imagine if Tuiit, Alualu, and Bush are back to form? Highsmith ups his game. TJ levels up. Sutton turns it up. Whitherspoon gets a full season in. Jack and Wallace could be gems. Cam keeps beating father time and becomes a legit DMVP candidate on the pace he's been playing. And Minkah returns to being a turnover machine.

A lot has to go right, but with a little luck and good fortune, I can see this D being epic if you could plug in Tyrann.

And just imagine where we can go from here if we get a top DL or CB or LB in the draft.

And we're getting some help for the D on the O side with some focus on developing the line, having a mobile QB, and a developing young RB that can control the clock.

Sugar
03-31-2022, 12:16 PM
And we're getting some help for the D on the O side with some focus on developing the line, having a mobile QB, and a developing young RB that can control the clock.

This is a big thing to me. It's really important for the O to sustain drives. The D can be special, but with the powerful O's in the AFC no D can hold them off for a whole game if they lose the time of possession battle.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-31-2022, 12:52 PM

especially with someone that old....

whisper
03-31-2022, 01:23 PM
This is a big thing to me. It's really important for the O to sustain drives. The D can be special, but with the powerful O's in the AFC no D can hold them off for a whole game if they lose the time of possession battle.

I don't see this season as the O has arrived in any way, shape or manner. Could it be better than last season? Maybe, but that's a super low bar. The OL is still filled with all inferior players. Any potential pro bowlers residing there? No, not at all. How about above average players? Naw, not really. The OL is still a reclamation project. We may draft a player, but that player is not going to alter the status of a weak OL that much, as a rookie. So we are stuck with a subpar OL in 2022.

How about QB? Is Mitch or Mason much an improvement over a 38-year-old Ben? Mitch posted 64 - 38 TD-int. ratio over his career. That's not great, and not likely to change much. Whether they go with Mason or Mitch, we are headed into 2022 with a backup quality QB. Not great in a conference that includes the likes of Mchomes, Wilson, Herbert, Burrow, Allen, Watson, Carr or even Jackson.

At WR, we aren't setting the world on fire either. We were already thin there and lost 3 FAs, leaving us "Capt. Dropsie DJ" and "I can't catch the ball in any traffic Claypool." After that? Guys who literally have ever played WR in the NFL. Anthony Miller is listed as the #3, he has 6 rec for 25 yards....that's our #3 WR. After that, we have Cody White, who has 5 grabs for 33 yards and "Gunner" Olszewski who has a career stat sheet of 9 rec for 127 yards. That's our WR unit. Can you find a weaker one in the NFL? Again, we will draft one, but what's one rookie gonna do to fix that mess?

We have one decent starter at RB but desperately need a #2 who can do more than fall into the LOS for 2 yards. Or, 2 yards from falling down from each intended cut like the RB from MD offers.

There is no D good enough to win with this O that we will be fielding, not in today's game. Even the 2000 Ravens or 2002 Bucs wouldn't be able to overcome this anemic O.

feltdizz
03-31-2022, 01:32 PM
I don't see this season as the O has arrived in any way, shape or manner. Could it be better than last season? Maybe, but that's a super low bar. The OL is still filled with all inferior players. Any potential pro bowlers residing there? No, not at all. How about above average players? Naw, not really. The OL is still a reclamation project. We may draft a player, but that player is not going to alter the status of a weak OL that much, as a rookie. So we are stuck with a subpar OL in 2022.

How about QB? Is Mitch or Mason much an improvement over a 38-year-old Ben? Mitch posted 64 - 38 TD-int. ratio over his career. That's not great, and not likely to change much. Whether they go with Mason or Mitch, we are headed into 2022 with a backup quality QB. Not great in a conference that includes the likes of Mchomes, Wilson, Herbert, Burrow, Allen, Watson, Carr or even Jackson.

At WR, we aren't setting the world on fire either. We were already thin there and lost 3 FAs, leaving us "Capt. Dropsie DJ" and "I can't catch the ball in any traffic Claypool." After that? Guys who literally have ever played WR in the NFL. Anthony Miller is listed as the #3, he has 6 rec for 25 yards....that's our #3 WR. After that, we have Cody White, who has 5 grabs for 33 yards and "Gunner" Olszewski who has a career stat sheet of 9 rec for 127 yards. That's our WR unit. Can you find a weaker one in the NFL? Again, we will draft one, but what's one rookie gonna do to fix that mess?

We have one decent starter at RB but desperately need a #2 who can do more than fall into the LOS for 2 yards. Or, 2 yards from falling down from each intended cut like the RB from MD offers.

There is no D good enough to win with this O that we will be fielding, not in today's game. Even the 2000 Ravens or 2002 Bucs wouldn't be able to overcome this anemic O.

A pro bowler on the OL would be nice but I think a solid unit would be even nicer. No superstars just a unit that plays as one and opens some holes for Najee.

WR unit is doo doo.. we definitely need help.

Not too concerned about the RB dept or TE’s.

QB is the wild card. I think if we can get better play in the first 3 quarters and avoid those dreaded 1 minute 3 and out possessions we can have a decent year.

Still hoping we get a WR/QB combo in the draft with our first 2 picks.

Northern_Blitz
03-31-2022, 01:34 PM
We'll see.

My guess is that if someone wanted him that badly, he would have a contract already. I think that's around top 5 money for a S, but this link is pretty old.

https://sport-net.org/who-is-the-highest-paid-safety-in-nfl/

I'd rather not spend so much on a guy that's going to be 30 before the season starts.

I think he'll sign for a much lower AAV. Or maybe a contract that looks big, but is structured so he doesn't see the end of it (and we don't tend to do these kind of contracts).

I also thought that he was more of a FS vs. SS. And Minkah's been pretty clear about not wanting to be down in the box.

I still think Edmunds is the more likely option.

Sager
03-31-2022, 03:44 PM
I think what you have to ask yourself is: Is there is any other player/position that would help the team more with what's available in free agency?

I would have like to thrown some $ at Juju, even despite the tiktoks, but now that ship is sailed.

I think the only other player who could have as much of an impact that honey badger could is Jadeveon Clowney. Our OLB depth after TJ and Highsmith is the weakest on defense right now. Edge players are getting paid this FA, so a Clowney contract would definitely be just as much as honey badger's would. We could also solve the OLB depth with another thrifty Melvin Ingram experiment, a la McKinnley or a Houston or maybe Flowers.

So that's what you have to ask yourself, is our team better with a signings of Mathieu and a McKinnley/Houston?
Or is it better with a signing of Clowney and a SS of an Edmunds or maybe a Collins?

Being a fan of Highsmith, I know which one I want.

Dwinsgames
03-31-2022, 03:56 PM

some may say if you can push all the plays to the sidelines its an advantage to the corner who doesn't have to defend as much ground and allows them to drive on the play more ...

I guess similar to some guys wanting to built the 0-line inside out while others start at the Tackle spots

NorthCoast
03-31-2022, 04:05 PM
I think what you have to ask yourself is: Is there is any other player/position that would help the team more with what's available in free agency?

I would have like to thrown some $ at Juju, even despite the tiktoks, but now that ship is sailed.

I think the only other player who could have as much of an impact that honey badger could is Jadeveon Clowney. Our OLB depth after TJ and Highsmith is the weakest on defense right now. Edge players are getting paid this FA, so a Clowney contract would definitely be just as much as honey badger's would. We could also solve the OLB depth with another thrifty Melvin Ingram experiment, a la McKinnley or a Houston or maybe Flowers.

So that's what you have to ask yourself, is our team better with a signings of Mathieu and a McKinnley/Houston?
Or is it better with a signing of Clowney and a SS of an Edmunds or maybe a Collins?

Being a fan of Highsmith, I know which one I want.Edge is supposedly the deepest position of this draft. I prefer going young with potential rather than old with $. This team is just not ready for a championship.

Sager
03-31-2022, 04:40 PM

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Daniels. Dude is still young, and he's already pretty good. I'm certainly not against an OT at 1.20 either, if one of the top ones fall. But it's a fairly safe bet to say this OL will be average at worst.

I think our WR depth isn't going to be as big of a concern as it would've been in year's past. We've been a bit spoiled in WR depth recently. I think/hope Canada's offense will use a lot more heavy 12 or 21 formations on 1st and 2nd down. Ben loved shotgun at the end of his years; I think we ran it like 80% of the time last year. I can see one more FA signing, maybe Colonel Sanders making a swan song signing, or Sammy Watkins.

But a unit of Johnson, Claypool, FA, Miller, Gunner. Not that much different from a Ward, Randle El, Wilson corps.

hawaiiansteel
03-31-2022, 04:46 PM
I think our WR depth isn't going to be as big of a concern as it would've been in year's past. We've been a bit spoiled in WR depth recently. I think/hope Canada's offense will use a lot more heavy 12 or 21 formations on 1st and 2nd down. Ben loved shotgun at the end of his years; I think we ran it like 80% of the time last year. I can see one more FA signing, maybe Colonel Sanders making a swan song signing, or Sammy Watkins.

But a unit of Johnson, Claypool, FA, Miller, Gunner. Not that much different from a Ward, Randle El, Wilson corps.

I'm pretty sure we will draft a WR on Day 1 or 2 also, this is a great year for them.

WindyCitySteel
03-31-2022, 05:20 PM
Steelers re-sign Karl Joseph. Hope they're not done at safety, can't be cheaping out in the secondary.

https://twitter.com/Steelersdepot/status/1509638960959537155?s=20&t=QbH4bOiW_eXcUCP5K2xuOA

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-01-2022, 11:38 AM
I don't see this season as the O has arrived in any way, shape or manner. Could it be better than last season? Maybe, but that's a super low bar.

I think that this is the greatest reason for hope. If the line improves to average - not a huge jump, and entirely reasonable, then this offense and team can make huge improvements. Finally some time for a QB to drop back and look for receivers who have time to get into a route. Finally a few holes for a first round RB to run through. Finally an expectation that 3rd and 2 will become a first down. Finally the offense can extend drives and give the D a bit of a breather.

Mr.wizard
04-01-2022, 12:12 PM
Not sure why everyone is so ready to count the Steelers out? We are better than last year already and we havent even reached the draft, this is a good team.

whisper
04-01-2022, 01:01 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Daniels. Dude is still young, and he's already pretty good. I'm certainly not against an OT at 1.20 either, if one of the top ones fall. But it's a fairly safe bet to say this OL will be average at worst.

1st of all, it's easy to under-rate Ward because he wasn't any one thing: not big, not fast, but boy was he a player. I'd be slow to compare his group with what we have left of our current group; DJ still drops balls, Claypool can't make any contested grabs and after those two it's pure junk. I'd take the WR unit of Ward, Randel El, Morgan and Wilson over the crap we have at the WR unit right now. At least the Ward group had some heart.

whisper
04-01-2022, 01:04 PM
Not sure why everyone is so ready to count the Steelers out? We are better than last year already and we havent even reached the draft, this is a good team.

How the hell do you figure the WR unit is good? It's amongst the weakest in the entire NFL. DJ is our best, and he's known to drop balls inexplicably. Chase is our 2nd-best and he can't make any catches with a defender anywhere NEAR him. And the rest of the unit is pathetic.

Captain Lemming
04-01-2022, 02:09 PM

We have the worst player at the most valuable position for one thing.

The Bengals went to the SB with a QB on his rookie deal despite a terrible oline, which will be much improved.

One look at the AFC West and you know wildcard ain't coming from the central.

When a KOOL-AID drinking Lemming thinks we have no shot...you know it ain't happening.

We are RIGHTLY building for the future people. I look at 9-8 and a resulting narrow playoff miss as our ceiling.

feltdizz
04-01-2022, 02:17 PM

The Bengals went to the SB with a QB on his rookie deal despite a terrible oline, which will be much improved.

When a KOOL-AID drinking Lemming thinks we have no shot...you know it ain't happening.

We are RIGHTLY building for the future people. I look at 9-8 and a resulting narrow playoff miss as our ceiling.

Anything is possible. I think the AFC West is going to beat each other up. I think 2 teams come out of that conference and 2 miss the playoffs altogether.

Some of these teams aren’t going to live up to the hype.

Dwinsgames
04-02-2022, 12:09 PM
I mean the west might be the toughest division in football on paper but lets face it they all have to play one another twice ....

if they all go 1-1 vs one another that is 4 losses per team in their own division and they still have the rest of the schedule to play out .... you just know one of them if going to wind up with a 9 win season maybe 2 of them ....

as for how the Steelers end up who knows , it will have a lot to do with Mich and how well the defense is able to stop the run .... if AluAlu is healthy and didnt lose much with another year under his belt with father time lurking we could be ok ... but who knows

Sager
04-02-2022, 06:50 PM
1st of all, it's easy to under-rate Ward because he wasn't any one thing: not big, not fast, but boy was he a player. I'd be slow to compare his group with what we have left of our current group; DJ still drops balls, Claypool can't make any contested grabs and after those two it's pure junk. I'd take the WR unit of Ward, Randel El, Morgan and Wilson over the crap we have at the WR unit right now. At least the Ward group had some heart.

Plenty of respect for Ward here, one of my favorites. My point is this unit is just as talented as that one was. Claypool could grow up a bit, and Johnson could stand to read a page or two from Ward's book, sure. But make no mistake Johnson is a Top 15/ Tier 2 WR in this league. Claypool still has a lot to prove, but he has just as many contested receptions as he does contested incompletions. It's just selective memory for the times he didn't go full Megatron. Just like it's selective memory that Johnson actually only had five drops last year, but you and me both remember his TD drop in the BAL game.

We have the best defense in the AFC, very well probably in the NFL, when healthy. I still believe the adage that defense wins championships. Obviously you need a bit of offense to go the distance, but when it comes down to dollar bills in this league, which is really the key, give me $50 million/year of TJ Watt and Cameron Heyward vs. $50 million/year of Aaron Rodgers.

Ernie
04-05-2022, 05:33 AM
I'm hearing we've got a deal on the table for Edmund's. Hopefully we can get it done soon

NorthCoast
04-05-2022, 03:25 PM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10031532-tyrann-mathieu-rumors-teams-concerned-vet-may-have-lost-a-step-steelers-scouted

Count me out, especially at the cost;

Tyrann Mathieu Rumors: Teams Concerned Vet May Have 'Lost a Step'; Steelers Scouted
JOSEPH ZUCKER
APRIL 3, 2022

Tyrann Mathieu is a three-time All-Pro, but some interested suitors might have reservations about the veteran safety, according to ESPN's Jeremy Fowler.
Fowler reported on SportsCenter that "the concern from some teams I talk to is that maybe Mathieu has lost a step because he's played nine years, a lot of mileage."

Per Fowler, the 29-year-old may not rush into a decision and "probably wants to go to a contender." The Pittsburgh Steelers have considered a pursuit but only have $13.5 million in salary-cap space.

Mathieu made his third Pro Bowl in 2021, finishing with 76 tackles, three interceptions and six pass deflections. However, his departure from the Kansas City Chiefs was a sign of how the perception of his value could be trending downward.

ESPN's Adam Teicher wrote how "the Chiefs throw their significant free-agent money at younger players theoretically on the rise and not older players who have already been at the top."

Over the past five seasons, Mathieu has missed just two games, so injuries haven't been a big concern of late.

However, the torn ACL he suffered and shoulder trouble he experienced with the Arizona Cardinals might be part of the calculus when teams attempt to determine a dollar figure for his next contract. That's in addition to the 129 games he has played since entering the NFL in 2013.

Given his age, this could be Mathieu's last chance to sign a big multiyear deal. If that's the case, then it could be holding up his next move.

How Mathieu will perform in 2022 isn't much of a question based on how well he played with the Chiefs. But that becomes less of a sure thing once he gets on the wrong side of 30.

Sager
04-05-2022, 04:51 PM
As far as the losing a step and injury concerns, I look at Troy's career. Troy and Mathieu play a fairly similar game, with Troy just having played it at a higher level. But as far as the wear on the body goes, Troy was his effective self until he was 32. His last year was when he was 33 in 2014, and that wasn't so pretty. But I think it's reasonable that honey badger will stay a tier 1-2 safety for the next three years at least.

As far as previous injuries are concerned, look at Troy again. Troy tore his PCL twice in his career. The first time in 2007 in needed surgery, the second time in 2009 he didn't and just healed it through rehab. For every year after both of those injuries, in 2008 and 2010, he came back at an all-pro/pro-bowl level. He even won the DPOY in 2010. The point being that Troy proved you can still play at a high level after these types of injuries.

Mathieu tore his ACL twice in his career in 2013 and 2015, and you need surgery every time you tear the ACL. But he is going to be 7 years removed from his knee tear, and has been able to play at a high level ever since without any type of re-injury to the knee. I think it's a safe bet that Mathieu is not an injury risk, any more than any player who plays NFL football. Even Terrell "Iron Man" Edmunds as he seems to be constantly seen as, missed some games at the end of 2020 and had surgery that offseason for it. If anything, I'd be more worried about Terrell than honey badger.

NorthCoast
04-05-2022, 08:43 PM
As far as the losing a step and injury concerns, I look at Troy's career. Troy and Mathieu play a fairly similar game, with Troy just having played it at a higher level. But as far as the wear on the body goes, Troy was his effective self until he was 32. His last year was when he was 33 in 2014, and that wasn't so pretty. But I think it's reasonable that honey badger will stay a tier 1-2 safety for the next three years at least.

As far as previous injuries are concerned, look at Troy again. Troy tore his PCL twice in his career. The first time in 2007 in needed surgery, the second time in 2009 he didn't and just healed it through rehab. For every year after both of those injuries, in 2008 and 2010, he came back at an all-pro/pro-bowl level. He even won the DPOY in 2010. The point being that Troy proved you can still play at a high level after these types of injuries.

Mathieu tore his ACL twice in his career in 2013 and 2015, and you need surgery every time you tear the ACL. But he is going to be 7 years removed from his knee tear, and has been able to play at a high level ever since without any type of re-injury to the knee. I think it's a safe bet that Mathieu is not an injury risk, any more than any player who plays NFL football. Even Terrell "Iron Man" Edmunds as he seems to be constantly seen as, missed some games at the end of 2020 and had surgery that offseason for it. If anything, I'd be more worried about Terrell than honey badger.Fortunately as Colbert himself said, the Steelers like to sign FAs at or as close to their 2nd contracts as possible. And you have to wonder why the Chiefs aren't biting on his contract. They should know him better than any outside team. It's another warning sign.

Sager
04-05-2022, 09:46 PM
Fortunately as Colbert himself said, the Steelers like to sign FAs at or as close to their 2nd contracts as possible. And you have to wonder why the Chiefs aren't biting on his contract. They should know him better than any outside team. It's another warning sign.

Chiefs have no money in 2023 and beyond. That's what happens when you have to pay your QB 20% of your salary cap. They opted to go cheaper with Justin Reid, who is still a pretty good S.

But hey, we can always still sign Edmunds. He's on his second contract. Then get to watch all of those whiffed tackles and blown zone reads. How fortunate.

flippy
04-06-2022, 06:49 AM
Fortunately as Colbert himself said, the Steelers like to sign FAs at or as close to their 2nd contracts as possible. And you have to wonder why the Chiefs aren't biting on his contract. They should know him better than any outside team. It's another warning sign.

It's probably a warning sign that Edmonds is at his 2nd contract and we haven't signed him. If he's the sweet spot of who Colbert and the Steelers like to sign, why haven't we pursued him harder?

NorthCoast
04-06-2022, 07:27 AM
It's probably a warning sign that Edmonds is at his 2nd contract and we haven't signed him. If he's the sweet spot of who Colbert and the Steelers like to sign, why haven't we pursued him harder?Fair statement flippy. I think safeties in general are overvaluing themselves. Although if the Steelers had the money, I wouldn't have mind them going after Bates. He's good, and he's young. Makes our secondary better and the opponent weaker.

Northern_Blitz
04-06-2022, 09:01 AM
It's probably a warning sign that Edmonds is at his 2nd contract and we haven't signed him. If he's the sweet spot of who Colbert and the Steelers like to sign, why haven't we pursued him harder?

My guess is that he has several options for a comparable number that isn't as high as he wants. Waiting around for a bit doesn't seem like a bad bet in a case like that. Maybe someone gets hurt or doesn't get a guy they were hoping to draft or something.

Seems like S and RB kind of get into this pattern if they aren't elite guys. Offers are low and there's not necessarily much of a penalty for waiting.

whisper
04-06-2022, 11:29 AM
We have the best defense in the AFC, very well probably in the NFL,

Sorry, statistically, almost in any way you look at it, we are no where close to the best D. Or even close to it. For one thing, we were dead last in rushing D. Not "near the bottom." Dead last. That means even the scrub teams were better than us at stopping the rush, the bottom feeders. Rushing and stopping the rush is a sign of a team's heart. Yes, we had injuries, but this team lacked heart on the D last year, starting with the ILB we traded up to get in the 1st round.

Does anyone remember the wide open, gaping rushing lanes that MN opened up on us last year? A total embarrassment. Team wide, including the coaches.

flippy
04-06-2022, 01:06 PM
My guess is that he has several options for a comparable number that isn't as high as he wants. Waiting around for a bit doesn't seem like a bad bet in a case like that. Maybe someone gets hurt or doesn't get a guy they were hoping to draft or something.

Seems like S and RB kind of get into this pattern if they aren't elite guys. Offers are low and there's not necessarily much of a penalty for waiting.

I would think if he waits, he risks the money being spent elsewhere???

I'd say S has to be an elite cover guy to get paid. I always thought Edmunds would be perceived a stud at ILB, but average at S.

Northern_Blitz
04-06-2022, 02:18 PM
I would think if he waits, he risks the money being spent elsewhere???

I'd say S has to be an elite cover guy to get paid. I always thought Edmunds would be perceived a stud at ILB, but average at S.

If it was a high-ish offer, I think this would be true.

But if it's like $3M - $4M AAY on a 2 year deal or so...my guess is that it's pretty easy for a team to get that freed up (especially since ~ $1M of the cap hit comes as displacement of a minimum level guy off a roster).

I think that's why it's a pretty good bet. If there are several teams in that lower tier of salary, maybe it doesn't hurt to wait until at least some of them start dropping off.

But I'm just guessing...

Northern_Blitz
04-06-2022, 02:19 PM
Sorry, statistically, almost in any way you look at it, we are no where close to the best D. Or even close to it. For one thing, we were dead last in rushing D. Not "near the bottom." Dead last. That means even the scrub teams were better than us at stopping the rush, the bottom feeders. Rushing and stopping the rush is a sign of a team's heart. Yes, we had injuries, but this team lacked heart on the D last year, starting with the ILB we traded up to get in the 1st round.

Does anyone remember the wide open, gaping rushing lanes that MN opened up on us last year? A total embarrassment. Team wide, including the coaches.

What does the rest of the sentence you quoted say after the comma?

This is so intellectually dishonest.

Sager
04-06-2022, 05:11 PM

What does the rest of the sentence you quoted say after the comma?

This is so intellectually dishonest.

We have the best defense in the AFC, very well probably in the NFL, when healthy. I still believe the adage that defense wins championships. Obviously you need a bit of offense to go the distance, but when it comes down to dollar bills in this league, which is really the key, give me $50 million/year of TJ Watt and Cameron Heyward vs. $50 million/year of Aaron Rodgers.

He left out the most important part, of course. Injuries. Yes, last year our run defense was putrid. That is how important losing a player of the caliber of Tuitt can be. Along with our #3 starter in Alualu. Along with all of the other variables to include poor ILB play & poor SS support.

But if you want to use Team Defense as your measurement tool, just look to the year before. We ARE the #3 overall D in the NFL, best in the AFC. We've got most of the starters (at least where it counts) returning from that 2020 defense. We've got a new LB coach in Brian freakin' Flores to help shore up the ILB spot. And hopefully we can still get a real difference maker at SS in honey badger. Let alone maybe using an early draft pick on defense still.

So is it really that disingenuous to say that we have the best defense in the AFC, and possibly in the NFL based on the growth potential of some of our players?

hawaiiansteel
04-11-2022, 12:05 AM
Steelers Depot
@Steelersdepot

Kaboly Believes Steelers ‘Waiting To See What Tyrann Mathieu Decides’ Before Turning Back To Edmunds

Apr 8, 2022

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/04/kaboly-believes-steelers-waiting-to-see-what-tyrann-mathieu-decides-before-turning-back-to-edmunds/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Ernie
04-11-2022, 05:06 AM
Steelers Depot
@Steelersdepot

Kaboly Believes Steelers ‘Waiting To See What Tyrann Mathieu Decides’ Before Turning Back To Edmunds

Apr 8, 2022

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/04/kaboly-believes-steelers-waiting-to-see-what-tyrann-mathieu-decides-before-turning-back-to-edmunds/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I personally hope we resign Edmunds.

hawaiiansteel
04-17-2022, 10:31 PM
Steelers fans are passionate!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FQg0yaaXwAYO5Zr?format=jpg&name=small

Sager
04-30-2022, 10:01 PM
Call me a crazy kook, but I'm still not giving up on this idea. We have the money this year and next to go after one more difference-maker at a $14-15mil aav/3yr contract. Whether it's at SS with Mathieu or maybe even ROLB with Jadeveon Clowney, whatever. I think we still need that one more addition to make our defense elite this year.

The front runners for Honey Badger have seem to been us, PHI, and NO. With PHI making the blockbuster trade for AJ Brown, I doubt they can still squeeze in Mathieu.

Buzz
04-30-2022, 11:00 PM
I think he ends up with NO. After signing Edmunds and now Kazee, I doubt we spring for the Honey Badger.

Sager
05-01-2022, 12:46 AM
Of course we sign somebody else ten minutes after I post it. Maybe not as much of a difference-maker as Mathieu, but at least Kazee is better competition for Edmunds. Don't care for the DUI.

We still have money for one more splash signing, about $15mil in space after a Fitzpatrick extension.
Clowney, Houston. Could even go for an offensive signing. Fisher at LT, let Moore and Chuks battle for RT. Or sign Tretter and let Cole and Dotson battle for the guard spot.

Northern_Blitz
05-01-2022, 05:22 AM
Of course we sign somebody else ten minutes after I post it. Maybe not as much of a difference-maker as Mathieu, but at least Kazee is better competition for Edmunds. Don't care for the DUI.

We still have money for one more splash signing, about $15mil in space after a Fitzpatrick extension.
Clowney, Houston. Could even go for an offensive signing. Fisher at LT, let Moore and Chuks battle for RT. Or sign Tretter and let Cole and Dotson battle for the guard spot.

I think that space is all spoken for?

Rookie class
Have to get to 53 contacts
Practice squad
Usually go into the season with about $10m in case we have to replace injuries

Maybe you counted that and already?

Sager
05-01-2022, 02:23 PM
I think that space is all spoken for?

Rookie class
Have to get to 53 contacts
Practice squad
Usually go into the season with about $10m in case we have to replace injuries

Maybe you counted that and already?

Yep, that $15mil cap space figure accounts for the rookies and all other 53 contracts. Practice squad won't count against the cap. We have the space for one more difference-maker, maybe two.

I can see maybe $3-4mil in space to account for possible call-ups from the practice squad due to injuries, true. But that still leaves plenty of money, ≈$12mil this year.

hawaiiansteel
05-02-2022, 11:43 PM
Saints sign S Tyrann Mathieu (3 years, $33 million; $18 million guaranteed): D Grade

When I saw that Tyrann Mathieu signed with the Saints earlier today, I thought, "That's a good signing. They probably gave him $5 million for 2022." That's right - I thought Mathieu signed for one year and $5 million!

As you can imagine, my eyes popped out of my head when I saw the details of this signing. I triple checked, in fact, because I couldn't believe it. Why did the Saints give Mathieu so much money? Mathieu was a liability at times for the Chiefs last year. His coverage ability, while not bad, has declined in recent years. Mathieu also whiffs on lots of tackles. He still makes big plays because he's so instinctive, so he'll create some turnovers for the Saints, but he'll hurt them at times as well. That doesn't sound like someone who should get $11 million per year.

https://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php

Sager
05-03-2022, 01:39 AM
Saints sign S Tyrann Mathieu (3 years, $33 million; $18 million guaranteed): D Grade

When I saw that Tyrann Mathieu signed with the Saints earlier today, I thought, "That's a good signing. They probably gave him $5 million for 2022." That's right - I thought Mathieu signed for one year and $5 million!

As you can imagine, my eyes popped out of my head when I saw the details of this signing. I triple checked, in fact, because I couldn't believe it. Why did the Saints give Mathieu so much money? Mathieu was a liability at times for the Chiefs last year. His coverage ability, while not bad, has declined in recent years. Mathieu also whiffs on lots of tackles. He still makes big plays because he's so instinctive, so he'll create some turnovers for the Saints, but he'll hurt them at times as well. That doesn't sound like someone who should get $11 million per year.

https://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php

Walter's a moron. $11mil aav is very reasonable for one of the best safeties in the game. Mathieu missed tackle rate was 10.2% For comparison, Minkah's was 11.8%
For another comparison, PFF shows me that Mathieu's missed tackles rate is actually lower than Polamalu's was over their careers. Now you tell me if the thing you remember about Polamalu, is all of his missed tackles. We'd have been very well off using our cap space on honey badger, quote me.

Northern_Blitz
05-03-2022, 05:10 AM
Walter's a moron. $11mil aav is very reasonable for one of the best safeties in the game. Mathieu missed tackle rate was 10.2% For comparison, Minkah's was 11.8%
For another comparison, PFF shows me that Mathieu's missed tackles rate is actually lower than Polamalu's was over their careers. Now you tell me if the thing you remember about Polamalu, is all of his missed tackles. We'd have been very well off using our cap space on honey badger, quote me.

He's pretty old to be getting a big (for a S) contract for 3 years IMO.

I like Edmunds value better. Especially with how we got the league to pick up around half of his cap hit.

Wonder how many teams were competing for him after the draft?

NorthCoast
05-03-2022, 08:36 AM
He's pretty old to be getting a big (for a S) contract for 3 years IMO.

I like Edmunds value better. Especially with how we got the league to pick up around half of his cap hit.

Wonder how many teams were competing for him after the draft?Mathieu certainly isn't worth 5X what Edmunds got. Maybe back in his prime but not today.