PDA

View Full Version : PFF gave just Najee and the Steelers their Pin-It-On-The-Wall motivation for 2022 :)(

Bawb the Revelator
03-30-2022, 07:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5joDLzKekXg Face it - these NFL Lifers "know" about 5% more than any of us with actual real lives. I DON'T count myself among the best of us as an easily destructible 83 year old Bozo on the Bus. But even I "GET" that the Steeler FO already strengthened the OL and plugged obvious holes BEFORE the 2022 NFL Draft happens. So I'm clueless as to who the FO drafts first or signs afterward. I'm actually proud to have a very active Real Life. Cheers an' 'at :)

Bawb the Revelator
03-30-2022, 10:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5joDLzKekXg Face it - these NFL Lifers "know" about 5% more than any of us with actual real lives. I DON'T count myself among the best of us as an easily destructible 83 year old Bozo on the Bus. But even I "GET" that the Steeler FO already strengthened the OL and plugged obvious holes BEFORE the 2022 NFL Draft happens. So I'm clueless as to who the FO drafts first or signs afterward. I'm actually proud to have a very active Real Life. Cheers an' 'at :)

PEE ESS PLEASE NOTE "an easily destructible 83-y.o. Bozo" should be "an easily DISTRACTED 83-y.o. Bozo."
I solemnly promise Planet Steelers to post much, much better in the coming years :)

Captain Lemming
03-30-2022, 11:33 PM
Who cares what they say.

PFF just likes to pretend they are smarter than everyone

Quoted for relevance

Oviedo
04-01-2022, 10:51 AM
Who cares what they say.

Quoted for relevance

This........

WindyCitySteel
04-01-2022, 11:08 AM
If you read the Twitter threads on the subject people are flaming PFF by proving them correct:

"Well, if they had a better QB and better OL, he would have been a great pick!"

Yeah, right, genius. That's why it was a bad pick.

Dopes.

whisper
04-01-2022, 11:44 AM

Bawb, it's too early to say who had the worst 1st round pick of 2021, but my guess is it wasn't Pgh, that's for sure. Now, if only the boys can add a decent #2 RB, preferably a speed back, so we don't have to "run the wheels off" Harris, but who am I kidding? Tomlin actually brags about doing that. (He tends to brag about somethings that are not actually that smart.)

Northern_Blitz
04-01-2022, 11:48 AM
He's 100% correct that Harris isn't the only RB taken in the 1st.

And since the other RB taken in the 1st didn't play in his 1st year, it's hard to take the argument that "Najee is the worst pick in the 1st because he's a RB" seriously.

Because even if you buy that logic, he'd only be the 2nd worst pick in the 1st.

I wasn't thrilled about a RB in the first but (1) I think that Najee is a good player and seems to be a good person too; and (2) the nice thing about a 1st round RB is that you can use the 5th year option before tagging twice so you get 7 years without having to make an expensive long term commitment.

I think it's not unreasonable to think that Najee was the BPA on our board when we picked. But I was hoping that one of the tackles would fall.

This is similar to our 2nd round pick (which I wasn't a big fan of). I wanted the C when we took the TE. But PF looks like a good player, so it's not like the pick was some colossal failure (even though like many I thought CH was a better pick in real time).

SteelerOfDeVille
04-01-2022, 12:00 PM
I wasn't thrilled about a RB in the first but (1) I think that Najee is a good player and seems to be a good person too; and (2) the nice thing about a 1st round RB is that you can use the 5th year option before tagging twice so you get 7 years without having to make an expensive long term commitment.

I think it's not unreasonable to think that Najee was the BPA on our board when we picked. But I was hoping that one of the tackles would fall.
I agree 100% with this part.

I'd have been curious to have seen what would have happened if Darrisaw (one pick before) was still on the board. I would have had a harder time accepting Najee as the selection at that point.

flippy
04-01-2022, 12:23 PM
He's 100% correct that Harris isn't the only RB taken in the 1st.

And since the other RB taken in the 1st didn't play in his 1st year, it's hard to take the argument that "Najee is the worst pick in the 1st because he's a RB" seriously.

Because even if you buy that logic, he'd only be the 2nd worst pick in the 1st.

This is similar to our 2nd round pick (which I wasn't a big fan of). I wanted the C when we took the TE. But PF looks like a good player, so it's not like the pick was some colossal failure (even though like many I thought CH was a better pick in real time).

In retrospect, these picks will look better in time. NH and PF were some of the best on the board at that time. And if we keep getting the best on the board, we’ll eventually have a better team.

It’s not like the other picks some may have wanted would have gotten us to the SuperBowl either.

I get the instant reaction, but then in time things always seem to level out.

Steel Maniac
04-01-2022, 12:34 PM
In retrospect, these picks will look better in time. NH and PF were some of the best on the board at that time. And if we keep getting the best on the board, we’ll eventually have a better team.

It’s not like the other picks some may have wanted would have gotten us to the SuperBowl either.

I get the instant reaction, but then in time things always seem to level out.

totally agree flippy. When that O-line is upgraded, watch out!!

hawaiiansteel
04-01-2022, 01:40 PM

I'd have been curious to have seen what would have happened if Darrisaw (one pick before) was still on the board. I would have had a harder time accepting Najee as the selection at that point.

once Darrisaw went off the board, there were no other 1st round worthy OTs left so Najee made sense.

glad we didn't reach for one...

feltdizz
04-01-2022, 02:20 PM
We aren’t drafting for 1 year of service. Once we get the QB and OL figured out I think we will see why PF and Najee were great picks.

Northern_Blitz
04-01-2022, 02:38 PM
We aren’t drafting for 1 year of service. Once we get the QB and OL figured out I think we will see why PF and Najee were great picks.

This is the potential downside of a RB in the 1st.

While it isn't as low as 1 year of service. It probably isn't much more than 5 (vs. a QB or OL who generally play for much longer if they are also good).

It's more of a "last piece" kind of position to draft.

Although maybe drafting a RB is a "1st" and "last" piece you draft?

Draft the RB first so you have a good running game when you bring in the next QB to make their life easier.
If that QB is a franchise guy, by the time the RB is up for a new contract, you can let him go and bring in a new rookie RB.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-02-2022, 01:32 PM

Yes to Northern's point and big yes to this point.

Northern_Blitz
04-02-2022, 03:39 PM
Yes to Northern's point and big yes to this point.

At least we did something about the OL this off season

whisper
04-02-2022, 03:58 PM

Did we? We will see come Sept.

WindyCitySteel
04-03-2022, 09:04 AM
Did we? We will see come Sept.

The Steelers likely improved, albeit marginally. The Bengals really went for broke and got much better.

Steeler additions and PFF grades from last year, along with the guy they replace:

Daniels: 71.0 (Turner 69.4)
Cole: 69.7 (Green 52.4)

Now the Bengals:

Karras: 72.8 (Hopkins 51.4)
Cappa: 74.2 (Adenji 48.4)
Collins: 82.0 (Reiff: 67.3)

Also, the 3 the Steelers are apparently keeping are Moore (57.4), Dotson (64.5), and Okie (63.8). Meh.

The Bengals left side of the line are Jonah Williams (77.9) and Quinton Spain (72.3).

We probably still have the worst OL in the division.

Northern_Blitz
04-03-2022, 09:07 AM
The Steelers likely improved, albeit marginally. The Bengals really went for broke and got much better.

Steeler additions and PFF grades from last year, along with the guy they replace:

Daniels: 71.0 (Turner 69.4)
Cole: 69.7 (Green 52.4)

Now the Bengals:

Karras: 72.8 (Hopkins 51.4)
Cappa: 74.2 (Adenji 48.4)
Collins: 82.0 (Reiff: 67.3)

Also, the 3 the Steelers are apparently keeping are Moore (57.4), Dotson (64.5), and Okie (63.8). Meh.

The Bengals left side of the line are Jonah Williams (77.9) and Quinton Spain (72.3).

We probably still have the worst OL in the division.

It's almost like those two teams are in different stages of development.

WindyCitySteel
04-03-2022, 11:20 AM
It's almost like those two teams are in different stages of development.

We had the money to sign the guys they signed, but didn't. I thought the goal every year was to win a championship?

hawaiiansteel
04-03-2022, 02:54 PM
When that O-line is upgraded, watch out!!

if only we had drafted Adrian Ealy like you wanted.

he transformed the entire LA Rams team and singlehandedly led them to their Super Bowl win!

feltdizz
04-04-2022, 10:15 AM
We had the money to sign the guys they signed, but didn't. I thought the goal every year was to win a championship?

why are you like this? lol..

Captain Lemming
04-04-2022, 11:10 AM

But you know the truth. Colbert emphasized they are going after youth. Every single move supports that.

It is obvious they are looking to build for the future.

NorthCoast
04-04-2022, 11:13 AM
This is the potential downside of a RB in the 1st.

While it isn't as low as 1 year of service. It probably isn't much more than 5 (vs. a QB or OL who generally play for much longer if they are also good).

It's more of a "last piece" kind of position to draft.

Although maybe drafting a RB is a "1st" and "last" piece you draft?

Draft the RB first so you have a good running game when you bring in the next QB to make their life easier.
If that QB is a franchise guy, by the time the RB is up for a new contract, you can let him go and bring in a new rookie RB.

Even Roethlisberger had the #2 rushing offense in his rookie season. And the Steelers ended with the #28 passing offense (yds), but still went 15-1 because they had a top 5 defense. Tomlin and Colbert may be trying to duplicate the team Roethlisberger had immediate success with. That's why I like QB in 2023 with all the other pieces in place.

WindyCitySteel
04-04-2022, 11:16 AM
But you know the truth. Colbert emphasized they are going after youth. Every single move supports that.

It is obvious they are looking to build for the future.

Better now vs. average future. It's arrogant to think you can make 4 year average vets better in your system. Even your own. They seem to value Chuks' age over his ability.

I guess when the Bengals are running roughshod over us the next couple of years we can take solace in the fact that their guys are a couple years older, or something.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-04-2022, 02:28 PM

Finally, we'll just have to see if they were the right moves.