PDA

View Full Version : Steelers expected to sign LB Genard Avery

Steeler Mafia
03-28-2022, 04:39 PM
https://steelersdepot.com/2022/03/report-steelers-expected-to-sign-lb-genard-avery-to-one-year-contract/

I don't know much on this guy other than he is only been in the league 1 year. Initially drafted by the Browns.

Steeler Mafia
03-28-2022, 04:48 PM
Crap. I can't fix the typo on the thread title.

Buzz
03-28-2022, 04:55 PM
https://steelersdepot.com/2022/03/report-steelers-expected-to-sign-lb-genard-avery-to-one-year-contract/

I don't know much on this guy other than he is only been in the league 1 year. Initially drafted by the Browns.

I think he's played about 4 years. Probably rotational depth at OLB, taking the spot that Taco held last season.

Oviedo
03-28-2022, 04:57 PM
I think he's played about 4 years. Probably rotational depth at OLB, taking the spot that Taco held last season.

Nice to see him replace Spillane

Steeler Mafia
03-28-2022, 04:59 PM
Yep. In the league 4 years ( Drafted 2018 ). Only expected to sign a 1 year contract.

Man, I screwed this post all up.

Buzz
03-28-2022, 07:34 PM
Nice to see him replace Spillane

No, he's more a DE/OLB type.

Barring the signing of a Vince Williams sort of ILB, I actually think you may see Spillane playing more in the coming season than he did in the last one.

feltdizz
03-28-2022, 07:37 PM
Crap. I can't fix the typo on the thread title.

Its Rkay..

10 rr’s

Chucktownsteeler
03-28-2022, 08:06 PM
I like what Spillane brings to the team. Gritty, overachiever, good on special teams. I’d take him over the prima donnas.

Who can forget get the hit on Henry?

WindyCitySteel
03-28-2022, 08:10 PM
Who can forget get the hit on Henry?

Problem is, there's little else to remember. He got a 7-yard running head start and ran into Henry, knocking himself out of the game. The Titans scored two plays later.

WindyCitySteel
03-28-2022, 08:12 PM
I liked Avery his rookie year in Cleveland. Haven't paid attention to his career. I assume he'll play inside.

NJ-STEELER
03-28-2022, 08:47 PM
Problem is, there's little else to remember. He got a 7-yard running head start and ran into Henry, knocking himself out of the game. The Titans scored two plays later.

thanks to a penalty. he made the stop on 3rd and goal. what else can you ask for?

has bush made a stop like this in his career?

WindyCitySteel
03-28-2022, 09:00 PM
thanks to a penalty. he made the stop on 3rd and goal. what else can you ask for?

has bush made a stop like this in his career?

Another one? Dude literally lives in Yinzer lore forever off of that one play.

NJ-STEELER
03-28-2022, 09:02 PM
Another one? Dude literally lives in Yinzer lore forever off of that one play.

what about the pick 6 vs. lamaar ??

I like undrafted FAs making plays for this defense. do you want another high draft pick in his place ?

WindyCitySteel
03-28-2022, 09:48 PM
what about the pick 6 vs. lamaar ??

I like undrafted FAs making plays for this defense. do you want another high draft pick in his place ?

My bad. Two good plays out of 1000. He doesn't have a place. Avery bumps him.

Buzz
03-28-2022, 11:35 PM
I liked Avery his rookie year in Cleveland. Haven't paid attention to his career. I assume he'll play inside.

I wouldn't assume that. I think he may be a replacement for the Taco man, mostly for OLB depth.

We still need to get a Buck linebacker, IMO, or else we'll have to roll with Spillane or Buddy Johnson. Myles Jack struggled when he had to take on the Buck role in Jax.

WindyCitySteel
03-29-2022, 07:30 AM
I wouldn't assume that. I think he may be a replacement for the Taco man, mostly for OLB depth.

We still need to get a Buck linebacker, IMO, or else we'll have to roll with Spillane or Buddy Johnson. Myles Jack struggled when he had to take on the Buck role in Jax.

6'0", 250 - sounds like a Buck. How many snaps did he play outside in Philly?

Buzz
03-29-2022, 09:56 AM
6'0", 250 - sounds like a Buck. How many snaps did he play outside in Philly?

according to this article, over his 4 year career, he lined up on the defensive line about 88% of the time

for the Eagles last year (357 snaps) it says 87% of the time he was lined up on the front, mostly as an edge rusher, with only 15 snaps as an ILB (they actually used him in slot coverage more, 31 snaps).

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2022/3/29/23000499/figuring-out-the-fit-for-genard-avery-and-the-pittsburgh-steelers-linebacker-hybrid-coverage-edge

I don't think they're bringing him here primarily to play the buck ILB position, but I guess we'll see

Northern_Blitz
03-29-2022, 10:53 AM
according to this article, over his 4 year career, he lined up on the defensive line about 88% of the time

for the Eagles last year (357 snaps) it says 87% of the time he was lined up on the front, mostly as an edge rusher, with only 15 snaps as an ILB (they actually used him in slot coverage more, 31 snaps).

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2022/3/29/23000499/figuring-out-the-fit-for-genard-avery-and-the-pittsburgh-steelers-linebacker-hybrid-coverage-edge

I don't think they're bringing him here primarily to play the buck ILB position, but I guess we'll see

Thanks Buzz.

I agree that this makes it sound like he'll be the 3rd edge.

Northern_Blitz
03-29-2022, 01:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR3pbuxhSkI

Northern_Blitz
03-29-2022, 01:18 PM
Film breakdown from the Depot

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/03/film-room-steelers-add-athletic-versatile-lb-in-genard-avery/

whisper
03-29-2022, 01:22 PM
No, he's more a DE/OLB type.

Barring the signing of a Vince Williams sort of ILB, I actually think you may see Spillane playing more in the coming season than he did in the last one.

It doesn't matter: Spillane likes taking kill shots but he's not big enough to hold up to giving them, he will be out from injury if he plays much.

whisper
03-29-2022, 01:24 PM

To the point I just made: He likes taking kill shots, but his body can't hold up to them.

papillon
03-29-2022, 01:34 PM
Avery has some film out there in which he's making plays so that's good. Here's my question for you football guys that know the ins and outs better than me. How hard is it to take an OLB and move him inside in the Steelers' base defense? He looks like a really good athlete with quickness and strength, can he convert? Or, do you think he's competition to keep Highsmith sharp?

Pappy

SteelerOfDeVille
03-29-2022, 03:51 PM
Avery has some film out there in which he's making plays so that's good. Here's my question for you football guys that know the ins and outs better than me. How hard is it to take an OLB and move him inside in the Steelers' base defense? He looks like a really good athlete with quickness and strength, can he convert? Or, do you think he's competition to keep Highsmith sharp?

Pappy
Love the question, Pappy...

In your standard 4-3 defense, the two OLB are more like the Steelers 2 INSIDE LB than any other postion, IMO.

You have Strong side OLB is much like the Buck in a 34 defense. Traditionally, he's a little slower but is known to be a beast against the run. (Think: Vince Williams)
The weak-side OLB is quicker, and great at pursuit from the backside, much like the Mack ILB in a 34. (Think: Shazier)

From what I've read, Avery was a Strong side OLB - so, he'll be a good fit as a Buck in this defense, which is needed.

I'd be more concerned about taking their OLB and turning them into a Steelers OLB... you've probably seen them defining a position in the combine these days as "edge"? It's because our OLB is VERY similar to a DE in a 43 defense... if you're a great pass rusher, we'll pretty much take anything else from that guy..

Buzz
03-29-2022, 04:07 PM
Love the question, Pappy...

In your standard 4-3 defense, the two OLB are more like the Steelers 2 INSIDE LB than any other postion, IMO.

You have Strong side OLB is much like the Buck in a 34 defense. Traditionally, he's a little slower but is known to be a beast against the run. (Think: Vince Williams)
The weak-side OLB is quicker, and great at pursuit from the backside, much like the Mack ILB in a 34. (Think: Shazier)

From what I've read, Avery was a Strong side OLB - so, he'll be a good fit as a Buck in this defense, which is needed.

I'd be more concerned about taking their OLB and turning them into a Steelers OLB... you've probably seen them defining a position in the combine these days as "edge"? It's because our OLB is VERY similar to a DE in a 43 defense... if you're a great pass rusher, we'll pretty much take anything else from that guy..

The way he's been used so far, as I understand it, Genard has lined up mostly on the edge on the D-line

but Wex thinks the Steelers should play him at the Buck ILB:

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Steelers-sign-former-Browns-Eagles-linebacker-Genard-Avery-to-one-year-contract-185390252/

We'll see

Chucktownsteeler
03-29-2022, 05:32 PM
Every player looks great on their highlight reel. Duh.

papillon
03-29-2022, 11:47 PM
Every player looks great on their highlight reel. Duh.

Of course, but the fact that he had enough plays to make a highlight reel is my point. You would be hard pressed to make a highlight reel for Bush, Schobert and Spillane combined over the past 2 years. So, the fact that he has enough tape out there to put together a highlight reel is a good thing, imo.

Pappy

Ernie
03-30-2022, 03:32 AM
I have read in a few articles that his big upside is the ability to play in space. Hopefully Flores has a plan for him to play to his strengths.. could end up being an outstanding signing..