PDA

View Full Version : Franchise QB

Chucktownsteeler
03-27-2022, 12:39 PM
So what constitutes a franchise QB? It can’t be Super Bowls, as both Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson have one but Dan Marino doesn’t. Can’t be the round they were drafted, Ryan Leaf was in the first round, Tom Brady the sixth.

Is it yards, TDS, what????

WindyCitySteel
03-27-2022, 12:42 PM
Guy who gives you a chance to win a Super Bowl every year. Different than a guy you might win one with some day if you build a great team around him.

Too many teams hanging onto guys like that (Cousins, Carr, Tannehill, etc.)

feltdizz
03-27-2022, 12:51 PM
To me a franchise QB is someone who cam give you 8 to 10 years of quality play and you never have to worry about drafting his replacement during that time.

Cousins is a franchise QB although I don’t think he will ever sniff a SB regardless of the team around him. But he still keeps a team from having to draft a QB early while he is on the team.

Chucktownsteeler
03-27-2022, 12:55 PM
What or who determines this? They say Willis is but Strong isn’t.

What is the determining factor? Rudolph or Trisbky isn’t? Don’t team play and coaching play a part?

WindyCitySteel
03-27-2022, 01:01 PM

They're just opinions. The players will tell us over the course of their careers.

crushedspirit
03-27-2022, 01:27 PM
To me a franchise QB is someone who cam give you 8 to 10 years of quality play and you never have to worry about drafting his replacement during that time.

Cousins is a franchise QB although I don’t think he will ever sniff a SB regardless of the team around him. But he still keeps a team from having to draft a QB early while he is on the team.

Cousins is a prime example of someone who will keep a franchise afloat, but won't be the difference maker needed when the stakes are at the highest.

crushedspirit
03-27-2022, 01:33 PM
For me, it starts with elevating the play of those around him, and making the plays when needed most. He must play at the level needed to be successful come playoff time, for a regular season hero is not enough. Add about 10 years at that level of play, and you got yourself a franchise QB to hang your hat on.

Flasteel
03-27-2022, 02:34 PM
Back when I used to pick this stuff apart, I always liked to start with the impact the QB had on his college program. Then the numbers. Then tangibles, such as height, weight, speed. Then the intangibles, such as character, leadership, pocket presence, acumen, etc... If you can check off all of those boxes, you likely have yourself a franchise QB. If you can check off most, then you still might - particularly if he is elite in other categories. A lot of it is quantifiable but a lot of it is just opinion.

At the end of the day, it's obviously an inexact science that has burned a whole bunch of great coaches and GMs. I guess you just better be careful in what you are willing to overlook for the sake of the other qualities.

Oviedo
03-27-2022, 03:08 PM
Guy who gives you a chance to win a Super Bowl every year. Different than a guy you might win one with some day if you build a great team around him.

Too many teams hanging onto guys like that (Cousins, Carr, Tannehill, etc.)

They hang on to them because "franchise QBs" are few and far between. It's not like playing fantasy football. You can win without one as pointed out (add Flacco and Eli to the list of non franchise guys) and I'd also say the most recent QB to win the Super Bowl was a borderline at best "franchise QB"...Stafford.

That is why you have to build a complete team with the supporting cast like a strong defense that can prevent the need to get into shoot outs.

whisper
03-27-2022, 03:15 PM

I think a franchise QB is one who rarely doesn't give you a winning season and gives you a shot at a ring for at least half the years he's on the team.

Oviedo
03-27-2022, 03:21 PM
I think a franchise QB is one who rarely doesn't give you a winning season and gives you a shot at a ring for at least half the years he's on the team.

So we could call Tomlin a "franchise QB?"

Or...if a QB does it he is a "Franchise" guy but if a coach does it, he isn't doing enough?

flippy
03-27-2022, 08:22 PM
A Franchise QB is a QB that can win you 2+ SuperBowls.

feltdizz
03-27-2022, 08:56 PM

What do you consider a shot? Making the playoffs? Making a championship game? Making a SB?

People keep bringing up SB’s and I think if you win 2 you enter HOFer territory.

I think if you are the QB for 7 to 8 years you are a franchise QB regardless of success. Matt Stafford had like 1 playoff but was an obvious franchise QB in Detroit.

feltdizz
03-27-2022, 08:56 PM
A Franchise QB is a QB that can win you 2+ SuperBowls.

That is rare company… lol.

Matt Ryan and Phillip Rivers weren’t franchise QB’s?

Marino?

Northern_Blitz
03-27-2022, 09:40 PM
I think it's something like: a guy where you take
QB off the board for at least 5 years or so.

A guy you think is going to be around long enough that you can build the franchise around him.

So maybe it's more about expectations than results?

I think Marino and Rivers were both franchise QBs.

flippy
03-28-2022, 05:06 AM
That is rare company… lol.

Matt Ryan and Phillip Rivers weren’t franchise QB’s?

Marino?

I was being half silly with my response.

To the original question, I do think the term franchise QB is overused and seems arbitrary/meaningless.

It's different things to different people. Winning, potential to win, quality, and/or longevity seem to be the most common traits.

And the reason I called out 2+ SuperBowls is people will keep clamoring for us to find the next Franchise QB and 2-4 SuperBowls is the standard for franchise QBs in Pittsburgh. No other QBs besides Ben and Terry were considered franchise were they?

feltdizz
03-28-2022, 07:17 AM
I was being half silly with my response.

To the original question, I do think the term franchise QB is overused and seems arbitrary/meaningless.

It's different things to different people. Winning, potential to win, quality, and/or longevity seem to be the most common traits.

And the reason I called out 2+ SuperBowls is people will keep clamoring for us to find the next Franchise QB and 2-4 SuperBowls is the standard for franchise QBs in Pittsburgh. No other QBs besides Ben and Terry were considered franchise were they?

Totally missed it.. lol. I agree 100%

NorthCoast
03-28-2022, 07:55 AM
The easy answer; a QB that can get a team to the postseason the majority of his career. And once in the postseason, they perform at a winning level.

This narrows the field a lot.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-28-2022, 11:50 AM

What is the determining factor? Rudolph or Trisbky isn’t? Don’t team play and coaching play a part?
"They" can also be wrong. "They" said Tom Brady wasn't.

It's determined by play in the NFL. Someone who can put you in a position to win, doesn't make dumb mistakes and most importantly, you trust him to run a 2-minute drive.

If you look at Troy Aikman's stats, they were not really impressive because of Emmett Smith - however, he was smart and if they needed a 2-minute drive, he was capable of executing that drive.

Think of how confident you felt when Ben got the ball back with 2 minutes left at the end of the game...

Chucktownsteeler
03-28-2022, 01:51 PM
So there doesn't appear to be a consensus agreement. I think the term is over used.