PDA

View Full Version : LMAO! This is a Good One

Jooser
03-23-2022, 08:21 AM
https://triblive.com/sports/first-call-report-says-steelers-would-pounce-on-baker-mayfield-on-open-market-mike-tomlin-meets-with-malik-willis/

Man, I read this article this morning and had to chuckle....

Steelers to ‘pounce’ on Baker Mayfield

With former Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson heading to the Browns, everyone is wondering what is next for Cleveland’s incumbent starter, Baker Mayfield.

The former No.1 pick has already penned his goodbye letter to the city. Now it appears it’s just a matter of if the Browns will trade Mayfield or cut him. Should the latter occur, Cleveland.com Browns beat writer Mary Kay Cabot said that the Steelers would “pounce” at the chance to sign him.

“As of Thursday, the phone was not ringing off the hook for Baker Mayfield, and this might get a little bit challenging. But I had somebody tell me that the Steelers will pounce on Baker Mayfield if he becomes available. If (the Browns) cut him and he is just out there as a street free agent. They would take him in a minute,” Cabot said in a video chat. “I’m sure a lot of people would. If you could get him for nothing, and the Browns have to eat that money? Then, certainly, somebody would go grab him in that scenario.”

Some have tried to connect the Carolina Panthers to Mayfield. Cabot said she is hearing nothing in that regard but is keeping an eye on the Seattle Seahawks as a possible trade destination.

As far as the Steelers go, I can’t see it. I’ve never gotten the impression that the Steelers as an organization — and coach Mike Tomlin specifically — are all that high on Mayfield. Every time Mayfield’s name comes up during a Tomlin press conference in advance of a Browns game, he is quick to shift the conversation away from Mayfield’s quarterback play and back to Cleveland’s running game and offensive line.

Although Tomlin, at least on occasion, has been complimentary of Mayfield’s prowess in the play action, rollout and bootleg aspect of quarterback play. Those things are allegedly areas of coordinator Matt Canada’s offense that have yet to be unfurled thanks to Ben Roethlisberger’s lack of mobility in recent years.

I still don’t buy it, though. The quarterback room is cluttered enough with Mitch Trubisky, Mason Rudolph and Dwayne Haskins. Why add Mayfield to the mix when the team still might be tempted to draft a QB this year or in 2023?

That being said, nothing would give me greater pleasure than seeing every Steelers fan and team-friendly media member, who has bad-mouthed Mayfield for his shortcomings for four years, suddenly twist themselves into pretzels to justify and praise the signing.

Trust me. I’ll be scouring Twitter to grab receipts.

Can you imagine after Trubisky’s first interception next year, the chants of “Ba-Ker, Ba-Ker” cascading down from the stands at Heinz Field?

It will be glorious. These are the end times, people. And you may live to see them with your own eyes.

kindlecatsb'ng
03-23-2022, 08:33 AM
Mary Kay Cabot from Cleveland, who covers Browns, will be on 93.7 at 0830 this AM.

Eich
03-23-2022, 08:38 AM
I'd be pretty shocked if the Steelers made a move like that. It's not like he'd come cheap, right?

kindlecatsb'ng
03-23-2022, 08:41 AM
I'd be pretty shocked if the Steelers made a move like that. It's not like he'd come cheap, right?

No. His salary is the issue--over $18M per Cabot. She believes Browns wants mid-range pick as well.

Personally, I say NO. I couldn't stand him watching him on Cleveland media and commercials.

Cabot says some interest with Seattle but not many jobs out there for him.

Djfan
03-23-2022, 08:54 AM
Clickbait. Not a chance in any hot region that this happens.

WindyCitySteel
03-23-2022, 08:58 AM
If he's released? I'd take him over Trubisky in a heartbeat. Funny how everyone attributes Trubisky's failures to a bad organization. What was Cleveland when Baker arrived? They were 1-31 the previous two years, he was coached by Hue Jackson and Freddie Kitchens his first two years and was worlds better than Mitch.

Terrapin
03-23-2022, 09:10 AM
I'm all for it. Trubisky, Mayfield, Haskins, Rudolph (1st rd 'grade'). Like I said before, let's bring in Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell, and Johnny Manziel while we're at it. Keep throwing **** against the wall and hope something sticks. The Steelers way!

Northern_Blitz
03-23-2022, 09:11 AM
I don't want it to happen. But it would be pretty hilarious.

I think the Browns would probably rather eat some of his salary and trade him then cut him outright. Might as well get something back. And I think he's on the 5th year option now...which I believe is fully guaranteed. So they get no benefit from cutting him.

I guess maybe a team says that they wouldn't take him at any price and then the Browns have to choose between carrying him for the season or cutting him. But I don't think it gets to that.

I think he gets dealt after the draft at the latest.

Chucktownsteeler
03-23-2022, 10:23 AM
When a certain place freezes over.

Steeler Mafia
03-23-2022, 10:46 AM
So we can start seeing those commercials of him now living in Heinz Field? Hell No. Sorry, No Vacancy.

Northern_Blitz
03-23-2022, 10:58 AM
So we can start seeing those commercials of him now living in Heinz Field? Hell No. Sorry, No Vacancy.

But has to live in the bathroom Ben was sitting outside of the other game.

Brought to you by a company that repairs credit or something?

NorthCoast
03-23-2022, 11:54 AM
If he's released? I'd take him over Trubisky in a heartbeat. Funny how everyone attributes Trubisky's failures to a bad organization. What was Cleveland when Baker arrived? They were 1-31 the previous two years, he was coached by Hue Jackson and Freddie Kitchens his first two years and was worlds better than Mitch.Cleveland had a stacked offense and run game the last two seasons and Baker failed. It's why they are trading him. And why do you suppose there is only one team interested? They know he is the opposite of a franchise leader. I mean, what QB comes out and says 'hey Cleveland, I want traded to Indy'? His tweeting is what has gotten him in trouble with the local media.

feltdizz
03-23-2022, 12:13 PM
If he's released? I'd take him over Trubisky in a heartbeat. Funny how everyone attributes Trubisky's failures to a bad organization. What was Cleveland when Baker arrived? They were 1-31 the previous two years, he was coached by Hue Jackson and Freddie Kitchens his first two years and was worlds better than Mitch.

did Trubisky actually fail? They made the playoffs a few times with him. It didn’t work out but I think part of it was because they gave up picks to get him and had unrealistic expectations.

I think the same thing happened with Baker. I’ve seen more of Baker so I don’t want him but this idea he was supposed to get Cleveland to a SB was ridiculous.

The audacity of an org to expect that simply because a few pundits floated the idea. I think Baker was fine for a Cleveland QB.

whisper
03-23-2022, 12:16 PM

They'd only do it if he did come cheap, THAT much I know.

feltdizz
03-23-2022, 12:17 PM
Cleveland had a stacked offense and run game the last two seasons and Baker failed. It's why they are trading him. And why do you suppose there is only one team interested? They know he is the opposite of a franchise leader. I mean, what QB comes out and says 'hey Cleveland, I want traded to Indy'? His tweeting is what has gotten him in trouble with the local media.

his decision making and accuracy was a bit suspect at times but I blame coaching for calling pass plays with that ground game. It reminded me of Dallas with Dak a few years back. They were dead set on passing inside the 10 and had a ton of stalled drives. Like they were trying to prove Dak could win it when they had RB’s who could also make things happen.

whisper
03-23-2022, 12:28 PM
his decision making and accuracy was a bit suspect at times but I blame coaching for calling pass plays with that ground game. It reminded me of Dallas with Dak a few years back. They were dead set on passing inside the 10 and had a ton of stalled drives. Like they were trying to prove Dak could win it when they had RB’s who could also make things happen.

Dallas OL and RB have fizzled badly the last few years. They went from a 5.1 - 4.7 avg, 100 yards a game with Zeke to 4.2, 58 ypg last year. Not the same rushing game at all.

feltdizz
03-23-2022, 01:12 PM
Dallas OL and RB have fizzled badly the last few years. They went from a 5.1 - 4.7 avg, 100 yards a game with Zeke to 4.2, 58 ypg last year. Not the same rushing game at all.

I said a few years back. It was before Dak was rewarded with a new contract. There were games where the RB’s were getting huge chunks of yards and as soon as they got inside 10 they would throw 3 straight times and settle for a FG.

It was weird to watch in real time. It was like last year when the commentators kept asking why Baker was throwing when our run D was suspect.

WindyCitySteel
03-23-2022, 01:18 PM
Cleveland had a stacked offense and run game the last two seasons and Baker failed. It's why they are trading him. And why do you suppose there is only one team interested? They know he is the opposite of a franchise leader. I mean, what QB comes out and says 'hey Cleveland, I want traded to Indy'? His tweeting is what has gotten him in trouble with the local media.

Baker didn't fail in 2020, and he played hurt since week 3 in 2021.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-23-2022, 01:18 PM
if released? kick the tires and see... then, you can negotiate your own salary and not be stuck paying what THEY signed him for...