PDA

View Full Version : KIPER on WILLIS

JIMBO
03-22-2022, 08:01 PM
Watched him this afternoon and he seemed to indicate that the Steelers would mortgage the farm to get this guy. Early on this was supposed to be a very mediocre QB class. Now the talking heads are making these guys sound like the second coming of Ben or Bradshaw. Willis sounds as if he has the tools, but needs a year or so to get his act together. If they give a lot of picks to get him it will set us back several years and then Willis will move on and we start all over. By the same token I would grab Jameson Williams (ACL) if available even if he sits most of the year. Year two he will be your # 1 WR ( DJ will be long gone ) and you won't have to spend a gazillion on a vet. If you are even giving Mitch a chance you have to give him offensive and defensive support other wise you are rebuilding and NOT competing like they always say they are.

Northern_Blitz
03-22-2022, 08:10 PM
Watched him this afternoon and he seemed to indicate that the Steelers would mortgage the farm to get this guy. Early on this was supposed to be a very mediocre QB class. Now the talking heads are making these guys sound like the second coming of Ben or Bradshaw. Willis sounds as if he has the tools, but needs a year or so to get his act together. If they give a lot of picks to get him it will set us back several years and then Willis will move on and we start all over. By the same token I would grab Jameson Williams (ACL) if available even if he sits most of the year. Year two he will be your # 1 WR ( DJ will be long gone ) and you won't have to spend a gazillion on a vet. If you are even giving Mitch a chance you have to give him offensive and defensive support other wise you are rebuilding and NOT competing like they always say they are.

I think we like Willis, but I also think we've been rumored to be in love with many QBs this off season.

There are lots of Steelers fans and we probably drive traffic.

Also not sure we have a big enough farm to mortgage. I think he'll go early because he's seen to have the most upside. And there's a lot of hubris among NFL GMs and HCs. And there doesn't seem to be a clear franchise guy, so teams will reach.

hawaiiansteel
03-22-2022, 08:18 PM

Kiper has us standing pat and drafting Willis at #20 in his latest updated mock.

Dwinsgames
03-22-2022, 08:44 PM
if Kiper loves him that is all the reason anyone should need to distance themselves and quickly ............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUPCpqbJO9Q&ab_channel=Mikerophone

SteelBucks
03-22-2022, 09:33 PM
I like Willis. I wouldn’t mortgage the future to get him but if he’s still around at 15 I wouldn’t mind jumping ahead of the Saints. It will cost a little but I believe it’s worth it. Draft day will be fun.

NorthCoast
03-22-2022, 10:35 PM
If Kiper is pimping him to the Steelers... run away! Fast!

WindyCitySteel
03-23-2022, 07:26 AM
I like Willis. I wouldn’t mortgage the future to get him but if he’s still around at 15 I wouldn’t mind jumping ahead of the Saints. It will cost a little but I believe it’s worth it. Draft day will be fun.

If he's still around at 15 it's because somebody leaked a picture of a gas mask bong. He's going top ten, hopefully 2nd overall.

whisper
03-23-2022, 11:54 AM
I think we like Willis, but I also think we've been rumored to be in love with many QBs this off season.

There are lots of Steelers fans and we probably drive traffic.

Also not sure we have a big enough farm to mortgage. I think he'll go early because he's seen to have the most upside. And there's a lot of hubris among NFL GMs and HCs. And there doesn't seem to be a clear franchise guy, so teams will reach.

Who is a "clear franchise guy?" For everyone who is predicted to be one, and who becomes one, I'll show you 3 who end up bums. For every Manning and Elway, I'' give you a Leaf, Russell, Akili Smith, Coach, Shuler, etc.

The point is, even QBs who seem like sure thing locks, are often not.

Sugar
03-23-2022, 12:44 PM
Who is a "clear franchise guy?" For everyone who is predicted to be one, and who becomes one, I'll show you 3 who end up bums. For every Manning and Elway, I'' give you a Leaf, Russell, Akili Smith, Coach, Shuler, etc.

The point is, even QBs who seem like sure thing locks, are often not.

It's funny you say that. I was just thinking about when Jamarcus Russell was drafted and one of the draft experts exclaimed, "The Raiders just got their John Elway!"

WindyCitySteel
03-23-2022, 01:01 PM
Terrible Podcast just quoted Willis' coach from an interview. This guy is much more raw than I thought. They supposedly only had 8-10 passing plays for him to run, he needs work on getting his drop depth, etc.

Starting to think if they draft this guy they really are rebuilding, he won't make an impact for 3-4 years.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-23-2022, 01:03 PM
i actually agree with most of this - even Jameson Williams. He woulda been top 10, not for the ACL tear and they say it's a clean tear (i.e., will heal better, quicker).

whisper
03-23-2022, 01:31 PM
It's funny you say that. I was just thinking about when Jamarcus Russell was drafted and one of the draft experts exclaimed, "The Raiders just got their John Elway!"

Too bad they didn't know about Russell's affinity for "purple drank."

https://www.findlaw.com/legalblogs/criminal-defense/jamarcus-russell-arrested-for-purple-drank-drug/

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-23-2022, 02:07 PM
It seems like every year they grade the QB position on a curve. It is not about how good the player is, it is about who is the best of the group. In a weak QB class, the guys at the top still get a ton of hype, and it grows louder as the draft nears and the competition for #1 QB heats up.

It wasn't as intense last year as everyone already knew Lawrence was #1.
It wasn't as intense the previous year as everyone knew Burrow was #1.

So I guess the lesson is beware the years when there is no consensus.

Steel Maniac
03-23-2022, 02:20 PM
It seems like every year they grade the QB position on a curve. It is not about how good the player is, it is about who is the best of the group. In a weak QB class, the guys at the top still get a ton of hype, and it grows louder as the draft nears and the competition for #1 QB heats up.

I agree. Stay away from taking a QB in this year's draft.

hawaiiansteel
03-23-2022, 02:30 PM
Terrible Podcast just quoted Willis' coach from an interview. This guy is much more raw than I thought. They supposedly only had 8-10 passing plays for him to run, he needs work on getting his drop depth, etc.

Starting to think if they draft this guy they really are rebuilding, he won't make an impact for 3-4 years.

I watched Willis play in two games versus defenses nowhere even remotely close to what he will be facing in the NFL.

he's as raw as they come, at the end of watching him play I said to myself no way is this guy anywhere close to being able to play at the next level.

WindyCitySteel
03-23-2022, 02:30 PM
How did Mike Vick get drafted first overall? Great combine? His college stats are pedestrian, and God knows they weren't measuring hand size then or his 8'5" nubs would have held him back.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/michael-vick-1.html

feltdizz
03-23-2022, 02:38 PM
I agree. Stay away from taking a QB in this year's draft.

Why? Because there is no consensus on the best QB?

Trevor Lawrence doesn’t make Wilson or Lance any better or worse.

Burrow being #1 doesn’t make Tua and Herbert legit.

There is no consensus this year but that doesn’t mean 3 of these QB’s can’t be franchise guys.

No way would I stay away from a QB simply because there isn’t a Burrow at #1.

whisper
03-23-2022, 02:43 PM
How did Mike Vick get drafted first overall? Great combine? His college stats are pedestrian, and God knows they weren't measuring hand size then or his 8'5" nubs would have held him back.

Vick didn't prove "unworthy" of his draft status. Other than Drew Brees, what other QB was worth two spits?

feltdizz
03-23-2022, 02:48 PM

use your googles dude..

He led VTech to the National Championship game as a freshman.

He has highlights on Youtube too..

SteelerOfDeVille
03-23-2022, 03:07 PM

i think they still grade them accurately, BUT... teams take their shots earlier on QB realizing that some QB with 2nd or 3rd round grades have become franchise QBs (heeyyy Russell Wilson and Drew Brees)

WindyCitySteel
03-23-2022, 03:08 PM
use your googles dude..

He threw 161 passes and 8 TD that year.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-23-2022, 03:10 PM
use your googles dude..

THAT year, i was annoyed. Brees was the better prospect in my eyes - and I thought the Steelers would take him (although I'm not terribly upset about taking Hampton instead... at least it wasn't Troy Edwards)

WindyCitySteel
03-23-2022, 03:11 PM
Vick didn't prove "unworthy" of his draft status. Other than Drew Brees, what other QB was worth two spits?

He didn't? Before he got suspended for killing dogs he was 38-28-1 as a starter, 71 TD, 52 INT, 75.7 rating, 21 rush TD.

Basically a better Kordell.

People here make fun of Lamar, but he's worlds better than Vick ever was.

hawaiiansteel
03-23-2022, 03:11 PM
i think they still grade them accurately, BUT... teams take their shots earlier on QB realizing that some QB with 2nd or 3rd round grades have become franchise QBs (heeyyy Russell Wilson and Drew Brees)

and Dak Prescott.

feltdizz
03-23-2022, 03:17 PM

I said his freshman year.

He pretty much locked in his draft status the moment he took VTech to the championship as a freshman.

An actual duel threat who could flick it 60 yards or run 60 yards.. at damn near the same speed.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-23-2022, 03:17 PM
His slot was already determined the prior year, when although he didn't win the Heisman, he was the top QB candidate for the award. He was injured some during the following season (the one you're referring to), but again, his fate was determined. You had a QB with a cannon who runs in the 4.3's... it was pretty much wait until eligibility

SteelerOfDeVille
03-23-2022, 03:18 PM

He pretty much locked in his draft status the moment he took VTech to the championship as a freshman.

An actual duel threat who could flick it 60 yards or run 60 yards.. at damn near the same speed.
what you said... same as i said... it was already a done deal...

WindyCitySteel
03-23-2022, 03:20 PM

Ah right. 182 attempts, 13 TDs.

Amazing stuff.

feltdizz
03-23-2022, 03:23 PM
He didn't? Before he got suspended for killing dogs he was 38-28-1 as a starter, 71 TD, 52 INT, 75.7 rating, 21 rush TD.

Basically a better Kordell.

People here make fun of Lamar, but he's worlds better than Vick ever was.

Atlanta had a SB appearance in 1998 but outside of that.. they pretty much had nothing to show for the bulk of their existence.

Vick filled seats, made plays and have them hope. Also think they made a Conf Championship with him in 2004.

Plenty of #1 picks have done far worse..

plus its not like he threw for 4000 yards in a season in college and regressed. He was a problem. Still remember those crazy Steeler games vs Atlanta where he always found a way not too lose against us.

feltdizz
03-23-2022, 03:24 PM
Ah right. 182 attempts, 13 TDs.

Amazing stuff.

and 700 yards on the ground and 9 TD’s..

and an undefeated regular season

yep, so boring for a rookie to lead his team to a championship game.

Captain Lemming
03-23-2022, 03:28 PM
Atlanta had a SB appearance in 1998 but outside of that.. they pretty much had nothing to show for the bulk of their existence.

Vick filled seats, made plays and have them hope. Also think they made a Conf Championship with him in 2004.

Plenty of #1 picks have done far worse..

plus its not like he threw for 4000 yards in a season in college and regressed. He was a problem. Still remember those crazy Steeler games vs Atlanta where he always found a way not too lose against us.

I love me some Lebeau.... but NOBODY made running QBs look like Dan Marino like he did. :)

feltdizz
03-23-2022, 04:29 PM
what you said... same as i said... it was already a done deal...

yeah.. I guess Windy is too young to have seen it live.

Vick turned the college game upside down that year. We had seen running QB’s at Oklahoma and Nebraska for years but they only threw the ball 5 times a game.

Vick didn’t throw it a ton but when he did it was on a rope or a 50 yard bomb to 88.

it wasn’t his stats.. it was his film.

and FSU was the far superior team but Vick was the equalizer.

WindyCitySteel
03-23-2022, 04:57 PM
and 700 yards on the ground and 9 TD’s..

and an undefeated regular season

yep, so boring for a rookie to lead his team to a championship game.

Back when running QBs were at their peak popularity, Kordell no doubt helped spark that. Can't believe Vince Young went 3rd overall, too.

NJ-STEELER
03-23-2022, 10:10 PM

clearly NFL teams are led by racists

WindyCitySteel
03-23-2022, 10:36 PM
Tomlin having dinner with Desmond Ridder tonight, at Pro Day tomorrow.

QB1.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-24-2022, 12:11 AM
Tomlin having dinner with Desmond Ridder tonight, at Pro Day tomorrow.

QB1.

Only thing I've learned about Tomlin this draft period is dude likes to eat.

NorthCoast
03-24-2022, 07:05 AM
Only thing I've learned about Tomlin this draft period is dude likes to eat....chicken wings!

WindyCitySteel
03-24-2022, 07:20 AM
Another sign of Ridder's maturity - he actually dresses like a man, and not a little boy, in a nice restaurant. I bet he's wearing a watch with hands, and not a touchscreen, too.

https://twitter.com/TheRealJeffRuby/status/1506804173366603777?s=20&t=Ho_YrPgvFs6YUVdN0sSIqQ

feltdizz
03-24-2022, 01:59 PM
Another sign of Ridder's maturity - he actually dresses like a man, and not a little boy, in a nice restaurant. I bet he's wearing a watch with hands, and not a touchscreen, too.

https://twitter.com/TheRealJeffRuby/status/1506804173366603777?s=20&t=Ho_YrPgvFs6YUVdN0sSIqQ

I thought this was a joke. I was wondering which one was Ridder.

I guess that is dressing like a “man” but all I care about is the game. Can he play like a man on Sundays?