PDA

View Full Version : Willis Pro Day

SteelBucks
03-22-2022, 01:36 PM
I understand it’s easy to throw without pads but Willis has a cannon for an arm. Steelers brought everyone to Liberty.

https://twitter.com/steelersdepot/status/1506320354628702208?s=21

SteelBucks
03-22-2022, 01:40 PM
https://twitter.com/nfl/status/1506324130437554178?s=21

Iron City Inc.
03-22-2022, 01:45 PM
Spun it well. Likely doesn't get out of the top 10. To many qb needy teams.

SteelBucks
03-22-2022, 01:48 PM
https://twitter.com/nflnetwork/status/1506323460791803910?s=21

Another view of the second throw.

SteelBucks
03-22-2022, 02:05 PM
https://twitter.com/steelersdepot/status/1506325621097476101?s=21

Buzz
03-22-2022, 02:09 PM
talent off the charts

still a question as to whether he will be able to read defenses
never really had to at Liberty

he can have the best talent in the NFL, but if he can't progress beyond being a one-read QB, he will struggle at the next level

SteelBucks
03-22-2022, 02:13 PM
I’d take him at 20 but that’s the problem. He’ll be long gone.

feltdizz
03-22-2022, 02:45 PM
talent off the charts

he can have the best talent in the NFL, but if he can't progress beyond being a one-read QB, he will struggle at the next level

Is this actually something people are concerned with or is this just because he played at Liberty?

Always sounds funny when a QB is projected to go high and the question is “can he read defenses?” or “they called the plays on the sideline on pictures”

its something most QB’s in college do these days. I doubt Willis would be in this position if that was a real issue.

Dwinsgames
03-22-2022, 02:51 PM
March 28 you will see the Steelers next franchise QB in action

SteelerOfDeVille
03-22-2022, 03:06 PM
Is this actually something people are concerned with or is this just because he played at Liberty?

Always sounds funny when a QB is projected to go high and the question is “can he read defenses?” or “they called the plays on the sideline on pictures”

its something most QB’s in college do these days. I doubt Willis would be in this position if that was a real issue.
it killed Tim Couch... they threw so many crossing/rub routes in college, he never learned to read a defense.

whisper
03-22-2022, 03:16 PM
talent off the charts

And if he can only hit wide open receivers and not throw with accuracy, no go.

whisper
03-22-2022, 03:18 PM
talent off the charts

And that's mostly what he did at Liberty: one read.

SteelBucks
03-22-2022, 03:32 PM
March 28 you will see the Steelers next franchise QB in action

They’ll get an early look at a 2023 prospect tomorrow. Stroud will throw to Olave and Wilson at the Ohio State Pro Day.

feltdizz
03-22-2022, 03:45 PM
They’ll get an early look at a 2023 prospect tomorrow. Stroud will throw to Olave and Wilson at the Ohio State Pro Day.

You wish.. he will be gone by the time we pick in 2023

feltdizz
03-22-2022, 03:49 PM
it killed Tim Couch... they threw so many crossing/rub routes in college, he never learned to read a defense.

Didn’t he lead the Browns to the playoffs?

I thought injury to his throwing shoulder was the problem.. and it was Cleveland.

NorthCoast
03-22-2022, 03:49 PM
You wish.. he will be gone by the time we pick in 2023If a few fans get their wish maybe not. The Steelers will bottomdwellers and have a top 3 pick. At least that's what I am reading.

Dwinsgames
03-22-2022, 03:50 PM

the 28th is Howells pro day

WindyCitySteel
03-22-2022, 03:51 PM
the 28th is Howells pro day

Hopefully we don't draft one-read, poor man's Baker Mayfield.

Dwinsgames
03-22-2022, 03:56 PM

thankfully YOU do not do the scouting because you honestly have no idea if that is your take .... you clearly do not know the difference in 1 read and accurate pre snap reads .. if read 1 is determined by presnap looks and the QB diagnosis it properly he has his open man on first look and there is no reason to look elsewhere at that point ... when the presnap is wrong there is clear cut tape on Howell going through progressions

NorthCoast
03-22-2022, 03:59 PM
Tomlin enjoying the show.... Colbert?... texting. He's moved on to retirement already;

https://i.redd.it/m5r11irvczo81.jpg
https://preview.redd.it/m5r11irvczo81.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&3f887f49

SteelBucks
03-22-2022, 04:00 PM
You wish.. he will be gone by the time we pick in 2023

Unless we crash and burn. ;)

Steeler Mafia
03-22-2022, 04:00 PM

It did the same for Geno Smith out of WVU. At the beginning of play, no matter what situation, he would stare over to the sidelines at Holgorsen to see what to run. He was expected to be a 1st Rd choice, but fell to the early 2nd Rd and didn't pan out for the Jets. He didn't live up to the hype that was stoked up before and during the draft. (Strong arm, very athletic)

feltdizz
03-22-2022, 04:11 PM
It did the same for Geno Smith out of WVU. At the beginning of play, no matter what situation, he would stare over to the sidelines at Holgorsen to see what to run. He was expected to be a 1st Rd choice, but fell to the early 2nd Rd and didn't pan out for the Jets. He didn't live up to the hype that was stoked up before and during the draft. (Strong arm, very athletic)

most college QB’s look to the sideline for the play in these new offenses.

SteelBucks
03-22-2022, 04:14 PM

Saw a Cleveland article today that said the Steelers would pounce on Baker if the Browns released him. I got a chuckle out of that one.

feltdizz
03-22-2022, 04:50 PM
Saw a Cleveland article today that said the Steelers would pounce on Baker if the Browns released him. I got a chuckle out of that one.

Are they shopping him or holding him hostage?

I don’t want him but I wonder if teams are waiting for him to be released. Seattle seems like the only place he may get a shot to start.

Steeler Mafia
03-22-2022, 05:04 PM
most college QB’s look to the sideline for the play in these new offenses.

Thanks. I am familiar with the college game. I watch a lot of WVU football.. The QB before him (Pat White) and the one after (Ford Childress) never looked at the sidelines as much. ( and the Childress squad went 4 - 8 ) Geno would look at the sidelines more than them all. He wouldn't adjust his chinstrap with out the sideline appoval.

Northern_Blitz
03-22-2022, 05:21 PM

I don't want this to happen.

But it would be so poetic if it did and he ended up owning them like Ben did.

SteelBucks
03-22-2022, 05:26 PM
Are they shopping him or holding him hostage?

I don’t want him but I wonder if teams are waiting for him to be released. Seattle seems like the only place he may get a shot to start.

They’re shopping him but nobody wants him. Browns may have no choice but to release him.

flippy
03-22-2022, 05:40 PM
I don't want this to happen.

But it would be so poetic if it did and he ended up owning them like Ben did.

If there was ever a QB that got misused, it was Baker.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him be successful as soon as he leaves Cleveland.

It’s weird, I like him sometimes and really don’t other times. Maybe it’s that it’s hard to not stare at a train wreck, but there have honestly been games I’ve watched of his and thought he was pretty good.

hawaiiansteel
03-22-2022, 05:47 PM
Liberty is located in Virginia, so of course Tomlin is interested in Malik Willis. :p

SteelBucks
03-22-2022, 06:03 PM
Liberty is located in Virginia, so of course Tomlin is interested in Malik Willis. :p

lol. Good catch!

flippy
03-22-2022, 06:30 PM
Not that I’m sold on Willis, but if you like Willis, would you trade your whole draft to go up and get him a la Ricky Williams?

I could see a decent argument for it given the importance of the position.

WindyCitySteel
03-22-2022, 06:37 PM
Not that I’m sold on Willis, but if you like Willis, would you trade your whole draft to go up and get him a la Ricky Williams?

No way, too much volatility.

Seems like a great kid, but kind of reminds me of Juju...happy go lucky, fun-loving, effusive, etc. Not sure I want that in my QB. I want a guy with fire in his belly that can lead men on blades of grass in stadiums.

NorthCoast
03-22-2022, 10:39 PM

I could see a decent argument for it given the importance of the position.Considering how awful the NFL and all it's GM's, scouts, and execs are at identifying franchise QBs this would be a moronic decision.
Every draft there will be QBs hyped as the next Elway, Manning, etc. Got to learn to tune it out.

Flasteel
03-22-2022, 11:28 PM

No flippin' way!!

The Man of Steel
03-23-2022, 06:12 AM
I don’t want to see the Steelers draft Corky Jr.. We’ve already seen how this all plays out like 25 years ago.

Oviedo
03-23-2022, 06:58 AM

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him be successful as soon as he leaves Cleveland.

It’s weird, I like him sometimes and really don’t other times. Maybe it’s that it’s hard to not stare at a train wreck, but there have honestly been games I’ve watched of his and thought he was pretty good.

I agree with this. Multiple head coaches, multiple OCs, etc.

Oviedo
03-23-2022, 07:00 AM

I like Willis, but absolutely not. What Ditka did was one the stupidest decisions made in NFL history.

Shawn
03-23-2022, 07:19 AM
talent off the charts

I mean we have two QBs with first round arms. QB is the hardest to predict. I like Willis but some of his decision making is either due to overconfidence or not understanding what he is seeing. Maybe both. He's a project and I just don't want to spend a first on a guy we need to develop when we have so many positions to fill.

WindyCitySteel
03-23-2022, 07:23 AM
I like Willis, but absolutely not. What Ditka did was one the stupidest decisions made in NFL history.

Because it was for a running back. Had he done it the year before for Peyton Manning...

Northern_Blitz
03-23-2022, 07:47 AM

And it's the think I thought about when the Browns traded for Watson.

But Watson is a QB, so maybe it makes more sense in that case.

flippy
03-23-2022, 08:36 AM
Because it was for a running back. Had he done it the year before for Peyton Manning...

Again, I'm not even sure I'm sold on Willis, but if the team thinks he's a future star a la Peyton or even Russel Wilson, it's not a bad trade in that context.

Denver just gave up 2 1st, 2 2nds, 1 5th, a player drafted in the 1st, 2nd, and 7th rounds. And they're paying Wilson a ton of money on top of it.

Quick math and all our picks this year are worth 1400-1500 on the draft value chart. Enough to get us to the #8 pick. Technically we could get to 8 and keep our 4th-7th round picks.

In the Denver trade, adding up all the past, current, and future picks on the draft chart would be 4100 pts if Denver wins the SuperBowl this year and ends up with the last pick in rounds 1 and 2. Not likely, so that 4100 pts to get Russel Wilson is likely worth a lot more.

It's like Denver had given up the equivalent of 3 full drafts at the #20 slot to get Russell Wilson.

In that context, would it really be that bad trading everything for Willis if you believe he's potentially every bit as good as Wilson? I know it's an unknown, but you'd be getting him at a 3rd of the price and on a rookie contract.

Everyone's been making the case we need to go get our guy at QB in order to compete. This could be the cheapest option to go all in and try. If you truly believe in a guy.

I don't believe in the guy, but the Steelers sure seem to. They're signaling he's their guy more than they signaled how much the like Najee last year. He also seems like an uber high character guy which I also believe would be really appealing to the Steelers.

Northern_Blitz
03-23-2022, 08:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egf6QE4ZdJE

I thought Ramon Foster had some interesting things to say about us being all there at WIllis' pro day. Some interesting insights into what he thinks of Tomlin on this one too.

I listen to the podcast, but posted the youtube link.

The problem with podcasts related to DK is that you can't subscribe to individual ones...you get all their stuff if you have it in your feed. And they put out sooo much stuff that it clogs up stuff in my podcast app. So I just manually look for ones I like. Usually just the Ramon Foster show...which is daily now (not sure for how long that is).

feltdizz
03-23-2022, 08:59 AM
If we believe in Willis then we need to go get him if he is still around at 15.

Of course some will think he is Kordell or Lamar or some other Black QB from the past but the reality is we have no idea what he will be once he is in the NFL.

but I’m all for drafting a QB this year, but I don’t want to give up too much to get our guy.

Dwinsgames
03-23-2022, 09:08 AM
sell out your teams future for a BUST ...............

as Hawaii said elsewhere , he looks real good with no defense to figure out and nobody coming after him ....

Plug in the tape this guy doesn't make those sort of throws in games .... there is a reason for that

SteelBucks
03-23-2022, 11:05 AM
sell out your teams future for a BUST ...............

as Hawaii said elsewhere , he looks real good with no defense to figure out and nobody coming after him ....

Plug in the tape this guy doesn't make those sort of throws in games .... there is a reason for that

You can’t call someone a bust who hasn’t taken one snap in the NFL.

feltdizz
03-23-2022, 11:09 AM
You can’t call someone a bust who hasn’t taken one snap in the NFL.

you can..

but it doesn’t make it true.

if Willis isn’t a bust do you really think those who called him one will own up to it?

These predictions are time based too!!! :p

SteelBucks
03-23-2022, 11:19 AM
you can..

but it doesn’t make it true.

if Willis isn’t a bust do you really think those who called him one will own up to it?

These predictions are time based too!!! :p

Statements of personal fact gets under my skin. Opinions are fine but damn we have a lot of self appointed experts on here.

NorthCoast
03-23-2022, 11:44 AM
Again, I'm not even sure I'm sold on Willis, but if the team thinks he's a future star a la Peyton or even Russel Wilson, it's not a bad trade in that context.

Denver just gave up 2 1st, 2 2nds, 1 5th, a player drafted in the 1st, 2nd, and 7th rounds. And they're paying Wilson a ton of money on top of it.

Quick math and all our picks this year are worth 1400-1500 on the draft value chart. Enough to get us to the #8 pick. Technically we could get to 8 and keep our 4th-7th round picks.

In the Denver trade, adding up all the past, current, and future picks on the draft chart would be 4100 pts if Denver wins the SuperBowl this year and ends up with the last pick in rounds 1 and 2. Not likely, so that 4100 pts to get Russel Wilson is likely worth a lot more.

It's like Denver had given up the equivalent of 3 full drafts at the #20 slot to get Russell Wilson.

In that context, would it really be that bad trading everything for Willis if you believe he's potentially every bit as good as Wilson? I know it's an unknown, but you'd be getting him at a 3rd of the price and on a rookie contract.

Everyone's been making the case we need to go get our guy at QB in order to compete. This could be the cheapest option to go all in and try. If you truly believe in a guy.

I don't believe in the guy, but the Steelers sure seem to. They're signaling he's their guy more than they signaled how much the like Najee last year. He also seems like an uber high character guy which I also believe would be really appealing to the Steelers.The big question for me then is why would the org think he is a future star? So he has an arm. Lot's of bad QBs have arms. So he is mobile. Look at Kyler Murray when he faced a competent defense. Nothing compelling about any of these QBs. It would almost be like 'hey, look a QB fell to us. guess we should take him since we might not get a chance in the future'. That's the worse reasoning of all.

feltdizz
03-23-2022, 06:20 PM
The big question for me then is why would the org think he is a future star? So he has an arm. Lot's of bad QBs have arms. So he is mobile. Look at Kyler Murray when he faced a competent defense. Nothing compelling about any of these QBs. It would almost be like 'hey, look a QB fell to us. guess we should take him since we might not get a chance in the future'. That's the worse reasoning of all.

I think its a bad idea to pass on a QB because Kyler Murray lost his first playoff game ;)

I know that isn’t your overall point but I keep hearing how Willis could be Kordell or how bad a QB looked vs the Rams as a warning.

This can be used for ANY position we pick at 20. Do we not draft ILB because of Bush and Shazier? Do we avoid CB because of Burns? Do we not draft a safety because of Edmunds?

We need a franchise QB and if the guy we want is there.. DRAFT HIM. If he works out great, if he doesn’t.. crap, then try again!!!

and here is the funniest of them all. How many playoff wins does Trubisky have? We are okay with playing a year or 2 with Trubisky but not taking a risk on a player who could end up being special?

We know the chances of it not working out are high.. but that goes for ANY QB you pick. There is always a risk.

and next year is supposedly a better QB draft. Do we really want to do the whole “look at the history of Ohio State and Bama QB’s” if we were in a position to draft either of them?

whisper
03-23-2022, 07:38 PM
I almost over-looked the obvious: Where is Liberty U. located? In VA. No wonder we sent everyone and the janitor to his pro day.

hawaiiansteel
03-23-2022, 07:56 PM
I almost over-looked the obvious: Where is Liberty U. located? In VA. No wonder we sent everyone and the janitor to his pro day.

Colbert and Tomlin both went to Ole Miss' pro day today to see Matt Corral.

they must have mistakenly thought Ole Miss was in Virginia or Maryland.

feltdizz
03-24-2022, 08:48 AM
Statements of personal fact gets under my skin. Opinions are fine but damn we have a lot of self appointed experts on here.

just say you don’t want a QB in the first.

Its weird how people bring up another player who didn’t pan out or lost a playoff game as the reason to pass on a player/position.

I wonder what position they want to draft, I’m sure I can find a player drafted in the first who was owned in a game or didn’t live up to expectations or was a complete bust.

feltdizz
03-24-2022, 08:55 AM

Someone probably told Tomlin the Mississippi River was actually the Chesapeake Bay to convince him to get off the plane.

Captain Lemming
03-24-2022, 01:32 PM

He feels like Bubby to me.

flippy
03-24-2022, 01:39 PM
He feels like Bubby to me.

I can see that. I always wanted to like Bubby too, but sometimes he was flat out awful.

I do think Baker has a lot more talent overall and still could make things work in the right situation.

But how good can he be if he couldn't succeed in Cleveland who had a great line and running game and weapons all around. I don't think he'd get the roster to work with comparable to Cleveland.

WindyCitySteel
03-30-2022, 07:51 AM
Ahem.

https://twitter.com/TheoAshNFL/status/1507419713034326018

NorthCoast
03-30-2022, 08:06 AM
I can see that. I always wanted to like Bubby too, but sometimes he was flat out awful.

I do think Baker has a lot more talent overall and still could make things work in the right situation.

But how good can he be if he couldn't succeed in Cleveland who had a great line and running game and weapons all around. I don't think he'd get the roster to work with comparable to Cleveland.

Are you referring to Bubby the QB or this Bubby?

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51969893192_d556c3e465.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2nbphDf)Capture (https://flic.kr/p/2nbphDf) by R W (https://www.flickr.com/photos/191750946@N04/), on Flickr

hawaiiansteel
04-29-2022, 09:36 PM
Malik Willis still available in Round 3...

feltdizz
04-29-2022, 09:38 PM
Malik Willis still available in Round 3...

He should have a chip on his shoulder

NorthCoast
04-29-2022, 09:43 PM
He should have a chip on his shoulderHe's seeing millions $$$ lost with every pick of the draft.

Bawb the Revelator
04-29-2022, 09:48 PM

Luckily, the other 31 NFL Brain Trusts have turned them into geniuses :)