PDA

View Full Version : Carson Strong

WindyCitySteel
03-22-2022, 09:49 AM
Steelers sent QB coach Sullivan to watch Carson Strong work out. I agree with Alex, this means something, hopefully that they won't trade up for a QB in round one.

I'm intrigued by Strong - hopefully he gains functional pocket mobility as his knee heals, could be a steal in round 2. Best arm talent in the draft.

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/03/steelers-interest-in-qb-carson-strong-doesnt-mean-everything-but-it-means-something/

Oviedo
03-22-2022, 10:07 AM
Steelers sent QB coach Sullivan to watch Carson Strong work out. I agree with Alex, this means something, hopefully that they won't trade up for a QB in round one.

I'm intrigued by Strong - hopefully he gains functional pocket mobility as his knee heals, could be a steal in round 2. Best arm talent in the draft.

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/03/steelers-interest-in-qb-carson-strong-doesnt-mean-everything-but-it-means-something/

If we take a QB this year, Strong would be my pick.

I still think that the QB class next year is better and deeper and as someone who chooses to see the positive versus a negative everywhere, I strongly believe Trubisky will hit his stride with us

papillon
03-22-2022, 10:27 AM
I don't know if the Steelers really what to put a target with a bullseye at quarterback which is what it sounds like with Strong. We just went through a season of that and it was painful to watch Ben be unable to escape pressure. On the other hand, the old school part of me likes what Strong brings to the table.

Pappy

NorthCoast
03-22-2022, 10:27 AM
I think some are reading too much into this visit. I mean, Tomlin and KC were both at Pitt. Can't be at two places at once. And did they really need to have Sullivan there too? Sullivan drew the short straw and had to get on a plane out west. I see it as nothing more than due diligence.

Correction; Tomlin, KC and Canada went to Pickett's pro day

NorthCoast
03-22-2022, 10:37 AM
This is what Sullivan saw during the visit;

https://bonusbettor.com/index.php/2022/03/22/carson-strong-continues-to-struggle-jets-show-interest-in-trevor-penning/

NFL Pro Day News and Rumors: Nevada’s Carson Strong struggles with accuracy
There was a decent crowd on hand for the Nevada Pro Day, including tight end coaches for the Arizona Cardinals and Cincinnati Bengals. It was a display of offensive firepower.

Tight end Cole Turner stood on his NFL Combine 40-yard dash but timed 6.97 in the three-cone and 4.21 in the short shuttle. He looked good in position drills and caught everything thrown to him. Obviously, the Bengals and Cardinals were in attendance for Turner.

I received a variety of opinions on Carson Strong, but the overriding theme was what I expected. He threw great deep passes but was inaccurate on the shorter throws and still needs to learn touch. One scout on hand told me outright he thought Strong struggled. This is a continuation of Strong’s performance from our daily reports at Senior Bowl practice.

Receiver Romeo Doubs, who only did the vertical jump at the Combine, did not run today. I’m told Doubs tweaked a knee prior to Indianapolis and hopes to work out for teams either the first or second week of April.

Chucktownsteeler
03-22-2022, 10:38 AM

I still think that the QB class next year is better and deeper and as someone who chooses to see the positive versus a negative everywhere, I strongly believe Trubisky will hit his stride with us

If we pick a QB this year I have also been a fan of Strong. He has the best arm, smarts, and NFL readiness of any QB in this draft. Good size as well. It's important to note his knee wasn't injured but it is a genetic issue. The docs have given him a clean bill of health for at least the next 6 or 7 years. He'd be my pick if he's there in the 2nd. I am not sure I'd take him in the 1st.

feltdizz
03-22-2022, 11:12 AM
I think some are reading too much into this visit. I mean, Tomlin and KC were both at Pitt. Can't be at two places at once. And did they really need to have Sullivan there too? Sullivan drew the short straw and had to get on a plane out west. I see it as nothing more than due diligence.

umm, isn’t there Pro day at the same facilities as the Steelers?

Easy commute.. lol.

I think this means they believe Pickett may be available at 20.

feltdizz
03-22-2022, 11:15 AM

https://bonusbettor.com/index.php/2022/03/22/carson-strong-continues-to-struggle-jets-show-interest-in-trevor-penning/

NFL Pro Day News and Rumors: Nevada’s Carson Strong struggles with accuracy
There was a decent crowd on hand for the Nevada Pro Day, including tight end coaches for the Arizona Cardinals and Cincinnati Bengals. It was a display of offensive firepower.

Tight end Cole Turner stood on his NFL Combine 40-yard dash but timed 6.97 in the three-cone and 4.21 in the short shuttle. He looked good in position drills and caught everything thrown to him. Obviously, the Bengals and Cardinals were in attendance for Turner.

I received a variety of opinions on Carson Strong, but the overriding theme was what I expected. He threw great deep passes but was inaccurate on the shorter throws and still needs to learn touch. One scout on hand told me outright he thought Strong struggled. This is a continuation of Strong’s performance from our daily reports at Senior Bowl practice.

Receiver Romeo Doubs, who only did the vertical jump at the Combine, did not run today. I’m told Doubs tweaked a knee prior to Indianapolis and hopes to work out for teams either the first or second week of April.

This doesn’t sound good at all.

I can see struggling at Senior Bowl. ht at your own pro day? Yeesh..

I’m sure there are more reports in this bjt if true, not a good showing and I wouldn’t touch him until the 3rd.

Dwinsgames
03-22-2022, 11:26 AM
if you want a statue as your QB he's your guy .............

Tomlin and Colbert both said mobility is a big factor .... so why waste the resources on a statue other than perhaps a smoke screen

SteelerOfDeVille
03-22-2022, 11:40 AM
I don't know if the Steelers really what to put a target with a bullseye at quarterback which is what it sounds like with Strong. We just went through a season of that and it was painful to watch Ben be unable to escape pressure. On the other hand, the old school part of me likes what Strong brings to the table.

Pappy
i was thinking the same - he doesn't seem very mobile. I've said he's the closest thing to a Manning in this draft.. Good arm, good IQ, good leader, but not very mobile.

I'm Ok with getting the best passer, but we have to be aware that what we're about to see with Tribusky (rollouts and such) won't happen in the future...

SteelerOfDeVille
03-22-2022, 11:42 AM
if you want a statue as your QB he's your guy .............

Tomlin and Colbert both said mobility is a big factor .... so why waste the resources on a statue other than perhaps a smoke screen
perhaps they were WR shopping?

Chucktownsteeler
03-22-2022, 11:51 AM
I am not so sure he is a statue. He's had a knee but has been given a clean bill of health. He has good size. I am more concerned with the health of mobile QBs after taking NFL grade punishment year-over-year. QBs get injured enough, let alone trying t mke them QB slash RB. We saw Jakson (pretty good size) out multiple games last year.

Time will tell if this is the latest NFL fad or if it sticks. I hate to have an investment (like Cleveland has) in a mobile QB (guaranteed money) and have extra risk involved. To me it doesn't make good business sense.

WindyCitySteel
03-22-2022, 11:58 AM

[video]

Nothing like going in with a bias. His draft/combine profile on nfl.com says he has an "elite combination of velocity and touch" and "can make precision throws between coverage levels".

Only one of the five profiles I found said he could improve his touch, all the others cite it as a strength. Throwing receivers open is another common strength.

WindyCitySteel
03-22-2022, 12:02 PM

Why send anyone, let alone the QB coach? Steelers rarely send people west of the Mississippi.

More impressive they sent the QB coach that far than it was that Tomlin/Colbert/Canada walked across the street.

whisper
03-22-2022, 12:15 PM

And what does Trubs "hitting his stride" look like? That is the question. Is it Mahomes-like? Herbert? Burrow? Let's not kid ourselves; we know better than that. No, not Rogers, Stafford or Brady. But he could reach a Tannehill level if things fall right.

whisper
03-22-2022, 12:18 PM
Why send anyone, let alone the QB coach? Steelers rarely send people west of the Mississippi.

Is that really true? They don't scout half of the entire country do to not feeling like it?

T.Ferguson
03-22-2022, 12:40 PM
Strong would be my pick for a QB this year. Hopefully more scouts/teams think he's inaccurate and drops into the 2nd when the Steelers are picking. I think the team should take a QB this year and see how that player pans out.

feltdizz
03-22-2022, 12:45 PM
And what does Trubs "hitting his stride" look like? That is the question. Is it Mahomes-like? Herbert? Burrow? Let's not kid ourselves; we know better than that. No, not Rogers, Stafford or Brady. But he could reach a Tannehill level if things fall right.

I’ll take a Tannehill for $7 Mill a year until we find a franchise QB in the draft.

feltdizz
03-22-2022, 12:46 PM
Is that really true? They don't scout half of the entire country do to not feeling like it?

of course not.. lol.

WindyCitySteel
03-22-2022, 12:48 PM

That's what Kozora said in the article - rare for a non-scout, don't do many Pro Day visits with coaches/mgmt.

Northern_Blitz
03-22-2022, 12:50 PM

My understanding is that they tend to send their local scouts to places on the west coast and the bigger names only go to see bigger name players.

NorthCoast
03-22-2022, 01:22 PM
"There are no franchise QBs in this draft" - Sean Salisbury

NorthCoast
03-22-2022, 01:46 PM
Nothing like going in with a bias. His draft/combine profile on nfl.com says he has an "elite combination of velocity and touch" and "can make precision throws between coverage levels".

Only one of the five profiles I found said he could improve his touch, all the others cite it as a strength. Throwing receivers open is another common strength.

Strong ranks third in this class in on-target rate (79.4%) but playing at Nevada aided his production as he faced pressure on just 27.1% of his dropbacks (third-lowest) which covered his completion rate dropping 27.3% under pressure (only Kenny Pickett had a larger differential among passers we have covered so far). Finding examples of Strong facing solid Power-5 programs over his career is nearly non-existent.

The first thing that hurts Strong here is that he is the lone pure pocket passer we have covered so far. He is a complete zero in the run game in the ilk of Philip Rivers levels. Strong also has the lowest projected draft investment here, something that will be impacted by his medical issues. I'm in the wait-til-next-year camp for QB.

Dwinsgames
03-22-2022, 02:42 PM
I am not so sure he is a statue. He's had a knee but has been given a clean bill of health. He has good size. I am more concerned with the health of mobile QBs after taking NFL grade punishment year-over-year. QBs get injured enough, let alone trying t mke them QB slash RB. We saw Jakson (pretty good size) out multiple games last year.

Time will tell if this is the latest NFL fad or if it sticks. I hate to have an investment (like Cleveland has) in a mobile QB (guaranteed money) and have extra risk involved. To me it doesn't make good business sense.

he will ALWAYS have a knee issue and its been ongoing since high school ...
“Carson Strong missed his senior season of high school in 2017 after knee surgery when an MRI revealed an osteochondritis dissecans lesion and resulted in eight biodegradable nails being inserted to mend a crack in his lateral femoral condyle bone.”
[“In January, Strong had surgery on the same knee to clean up cartilage after he felt some uneasiness in the knee during his breakout 2020 season.”/QUOTE] he is an adult correct ? [QUOTE]Kids have a good prognosis. In adults, it very often leads to degenerative disc disease (osteoarthritis).
part of the prognosis depends on whether the growth plate was closed, which wasn’t discussed in this report. If it was closed, he went on that it would be the worst possible prognosis.

The “surgery he had was a relatively serious surgery that would suggest that his growth plate was closed.” It appears a main unanswered question, aside from the state of the growth plate, is how bad the lesions were prior to the original surgery. That was also absent from the report.

Even with the severity of the procedure and additional procedure following the 2020 breakout campaign, my source believes that Strong “should be fine short-term” assuming that the procedure went well. “Long-term, (he) would be concerned about the knee issues.” if you watched him play he is a statuesque QB without much mobility , strong arm but has accuracy issues and his SR bowl week was poor his pro day wasnt much better

hackjam
03-22-2022, 05:01 PM

Too busy in Virginia and Maryland.

T.Ferguson
03-22-2022, 09:48 PM
Sean Salisbury is still around? lol.

hawaiiansteel
03-23-2022, 01:20 AM
QB Coach Mike Sullivan was in Nevada working out Carson Strong.

WindyCitySteel
03-23-2022, 07:24 AM
QB Coach Mike Sullivan was in Nevada working out Carson Strong.

Someone should start a thread about that...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-23-2022, 01:17 PM
Sullivan drew the short straw and had to get on a plane out west.

If heading to Reno for the day is the short straw, I'll take the short straw. :D