PDA

View Full Version : My pick for the Steelers first round.

Shawn
03-19-2022, 10:40 PM
Some may say Shawn you are reaching. But, no. Devonte Wyatt is absolutely nasty. He is 304 pounds at 6 foot 2 and ran a 4.77 which matches what I was watching. Explosive, powerful, disruptive, played for Ga from the 0 through the 5. He is versatile playing anywhere on the DL yes including the nose for those opining for the need for a NT. We have an aging DL, he instantly plays in the rotation, tremendous in the run stop, disruptive in the pocket. Please Steelers for the love of all that's good grab this guy and not one of these sad prospects at QB.

Steel Maniac
03-19-2022, 11:42 PM
Some may say Shawn you are reaching. But, no. Devonte Wyatt is absolutely nasty. He is 304 pounds at 6 foot 2 and ran a 4.77 which matches what I was watching. Explosive, powerful, disruptive, played for Ga from the 0 through the 5. He is versatile playing anywhere on the DL yes including the nose for those opining for the need for a NT. We have an aging DL, he instantly plays in the rotation, tremendous in the run stop, disruptive in the pocket. Please Steelers for the love of all that's good grab this guy and not one of these sad prospects at QB.

The need at ILB is just as red alert as well because of all the question marks. But I like Wyatt as well. When do we start our official two round draft prediction thread?

passhappy
03-20-2022, 07:47 AM
I had him in one of my many mocks .... he is a load

Iron City Inc.
03-20-2022, 08:15 AM
Wyatt quickness to me is what sets him apart. He is first one moving when ball is snapped. That is a special trait.
However I believe you have the right team but imho knowing Tomlin a different teammate is more likely to be our #1. Davis ? No he'll be gone. Walker ? No gone too.
Lewis Cine SS exactly what MT likes phisical box safety who can cover. Chess piece with position flexibility. Tested over the moon and play recognition is very good. Also fills one of our needs. Three down player who can contribute on special teams and likely start early. A rookie who could step in and help our run D which was way to soft in 21. Safety in the 1st not popular but if it's the right player and I believe this guy is I'm good with it.

Oviedo
03-20-2022, 09:03 AM
Wyatt quickness to me is what sets him apart. He is first one moving when ball is snapped. That is a special trait.
However I believe you have the right team but imho knowing Tomlin a different teammate is more likely to be our #1. Davis ? No he'll be gone. Walker ? No gone too.
Lewis Cine SS exactly what MT likes phisical box safety who can cover. Chess piece with position flexibility. Tested over the moon and play recognition is very good. Also fills one of our needs. Three down player who can contribute on special teams and likely start early. A rookie who could step in and help our run D which was way to soft in 21. Safety in the 1st not popular but if it's the right player and I believe this guy is I'm good with it.

Don't know anything about Cline, but if we drafted him in Round 1 there would no doubt be 4 years of b!tching and moaning because he is not a "name" mentioned by media

Personally, as much as I've advocated for def Line, I wouldn't be shocked with a WR

Flasteel
03-20-2022, 09:28 AM
I'm still holding out hope for his teammate Jordan Davis, even though it appears as more and more of a pipe dream. I like Wyatt though, if Davis is gone. If both of those guys are off the board, then hopefully Penning is still there at OT. I see the potential for them to go WR but I want to see the trenches addressed early.

Shawn
03-20-2022, 02:37 PM

I really like Cine. But, I have graded him as a mid second. He does many things well. I drool over his physicality. Anyone who knows me knows I love me some physical secondary. It's not a bad pick that's for sure but watch him a bit closer. Watch his hips and his transitions into routes. Watch his ability to mirror. If he landed to us in the second I would be running to my TV and losing my mind. But, in my humble opinion he isn't a first round talent. When I think of first round, I think of a guy who explodes off the ball. A DLman on an aging DL who has that kind of quick twitch is rare. His ability to push the pocket and make QBs feel uncomfortable less rare but it's spectacular. Him being able to play all positions on the DL? That's a Steeler pick. He is the guy who is overshadowed by sexier teammates. But, I think Wyatt has the best NFL career.

Shawn
03-20-2022, 02:46 PM
I'm still holding out hope for his teammate Jordan Davis, even though it appears as more and more of a pipe dream. I like Wyatt though, if Davis is gone. If both of those guys are off the board, then hopefully Penning is still there at OT. I see the potential for them to go WR but I want to see the trenches addressed early. But why? I mean I kind of get it. He's a physical specimen. But, is he a 3 down DLman? If not move on. He wasn't for GA why would he be for us? I have him as a late second and I wouldn't touch him. Why? Because, in modern day NFL you need guys you can stay on the field. You need guys who can play up and down the line. Don't get me wrong I understand why you love him. Davis is a freak. But he also can't play a full series. The day of Casey Hampton are done and we need to adapt to the times.

Chucktownsteeler
03-20-2022, 03:31 PM
Currently he is #1 in my mock.

SidSmythe
03-20-2022, 04:22 PM
Heyward, Alualu and Tuitt won't be around forever (if at all TA & ST speaking) .... as much as the Steelers rotate DL I'd say DL is not out of the question.

hackjam
03-20-2022, 04:45 PM
Makes sense. Tuitt's contract voids after this year too. It almost has to be DL this year the more I think about it.

Oviedo
03-20-2022, 04:47 PM
I really like Cine. But, I have graded him as a mid second. He does many things well. I drool over his physicality. Anyone who knows me knows I love me some physical secondary. It's not a bad pick that's for sure but watch him a bit closer. Watch his hips and his transitions into routes. Watch his ability to mirror. If he landed to us in the second I would be running to my TV and losing my mind. But, in my humble opinion he isn't a first round talent. When I think of first round, I think of a guy who explodes off the ball. A DLman on an aging DL who has that kind of quick twitch is rare. His ability to push the pocket and make QBs feel uncomfortable less rare but it's spectacular. Him being able to play all positions on the DL? That's a Steeler pick. He is the guy who is overshadowed by sexier teammates. But, I think Wyatt has the best NFL career.

Agree about special DL talent...don't pass on it

Iron City Inc.
03-20-2022, 05:47 PM
Cine played so much off ball I don't recall him being walked down much. He looked real fluit at Indi and flipped his hips well from what I saw. Lots to work with there including the fact he is a excellent tackler.

Buzz
03-20-2022, 06:51 PM
Cine played so much off ball I don't recall him being walked down much. He looked real fluit at Indi and flipped his hips well from what I saw. Lots to work with there including the fact he is a excellent tackler.

We'll need excellent tacklers in the backfield if Bush stays in at ILB

Steel Maniac
03-20-2022, 07:54 PM
Makes sense. Tuitt's contract voids after this year too. It almost has to be DL this year the more I think about it.

Thanks hack; I forgot about Tuitt’s contract voiding.

hawaiiansteel
03-20-2022, 07:57 PM
We'll need excellent tacklers in the backfield if Bush stays in at ILB

it sure would be nice if Bush were to return to his pre-injury form.

papillon
03-20-2022, 09:14 PM
But why? I mean I kind of get it. He's a physical specimen. But, is he a 3 down DLman? If not move on. He wasn't for GA why would he be for us? I have him as a late second and I wouldn't touch him. Why? Because, in modern day NFL you need guys you can stay on the field. You need guys who can play up and down the line. Don't get me wrong I understand why you love him. Davis is a freak. But he also can't play a full series. The day of Casey Hampton are done and we need to adapt to the times.

Why does he have to play 3 downs? If he's on the field for 1st and 2nd down and the Steelers put the other team in a 3rd and long and he comes off the field for a pass rusher aren't the Steelers better?

Pappy

Shawn
03-20-2022, 09:59 PM
Currently he is #1 in my mock. Well that's because Chuck you are a wise and smart man.

Shawn
03-20-2022, 10:17 PM
Cine played so much off ball I don't recall him being walked down much. He looked real fluit at Indi and flipped his hips well from what I saw. Lots to work with there including the fact he is a excellent tackler. No doubt he is an excellent tackler. I want him. But, I want him in the second. He lacks sufficient fluidity to be a first rounder. I stand by that. If I'm drafting a safety in the first he needs to be able to be versatile. I think versatility is the key. This is some intimacy. I fell in love with Jeremy Cash out of Duke. I had him graded as a third round pick and he goes undrafted. Dude played like a linebacker with his physicality. Cine reminds me of him. He is stiff in transitions and I see him more of a box safety. He is a hybrid and I don't hate that trust me. But he isn't a first rounder. He is a box safety with better cover skills than Cash. He is a good locker room guy, a leader and a competitor. I believe he loves the game. He will be a solid to a very good pro in the NFL. Elite? First round? I think its a stretch. Thats just my humble opinion with an imperfect science. I've been wrong before will be wrong again.

passhappy
03-20-2022, 10:48 PM
how do you feel about Smoke Monday

NJ-STEELER
03-20-2022, 10:57 PM
I like the player, but I don't see us taking a DL in the 1st round.

the way things are shaping up, our first pick is looking more and more like a WR.
as obvious as Najee was last year, unless a QB they like falls to 20

Shawn
03-20-2022, 10:57 PM
Why does he have to play 3 downs? If he's on the field for 1st and 2nd down and the Steelers put the other team in a 3rd and long and he comes off the field for a pass rusher aren't the Steelers better?

Pappy Pappy do you not remember how Hampton was exposed? Teams learned to go no huddle on our 3-4. I loved Hampton but guys like him left with the FB.

Shawn
03-20-2022, 11:11 PM
how do you feel about Smoke Monday Again, I like his physicality. He isn't fast enough or quick enough to be a good pro on the NFL level. He is a good box safety. His coverage skills are average at best. If he were 230 I would recommend a transition to ILBr. But, he isn't big enough, isn't fast enough, and doesn't cover well enough. I have no idea what scouts grade him as but I would place a 6th round grade on him. I see him as a pro back up at best.

Shawn
03-20-2022, 11:25 PM

the way things are shaping up, our first pick is looking more and more like a WR.
as obvious as Najee was last year, unless a QB they like falls to 20 I don't see that at all. I mean Chris Olave might be there. I like his teammate Wilson better. Always did and my dad and I argued about it alot lol. Olave is subtle great with amazing route running. His hands speed and elite route running no doubt makes him a solid 1b. I do not see Olave as a prime time. Sorry to my fellow Bucks fans. Wilson on the other hand isn't as good of a route runner as Olave. But he does everything better and has more upside. I think both will make good pros. Would I spend a first on either. Umm no. And I am a Buckeye fan. Pass on WR in the first. Second or third? Yep. Now if Njiba out of OSU was coming out this year? I would move up in the draft to grab him, He will be a hall of fame NFL WR barring injury. I haven't seen a guy like that in I don't know how long. Even Wilson and Olave said that he is the best of the group. I mean how good are you to get your first round teammates to admit you are better?

Shawn
03-20-2022, 11:36 PM
Cine played so much off ball I don't recall him being walked down much. He looked real fluit at Indi and flipped his hips well from what I saw. Lots to work with there including the fact he is a excellent tackler. It's not about how he was used. It's about his skill set. If I want him in the second, then I think he will make a great pro. At the college level he could get away with some of his deficits. I do see problems in coverage. In a pass first NFL, with 3 legit NFL franchise QBs in the AFC North? I want guys who can cover at an elite level and I'm just not seeing that, I love his violence. I love his physicality. He will make a good pro. But, he is not worth our first round pick.

NJ-STEELER
03-21-2022, 12:34 PM
I don't see that at all. I mean Chris Olave might be there. I like his teammate Wilson better. Always did and my dad and I argued about it alot lol. Olave is subtle great with amazing route running. His hands speed and elite route running no doubt makes him a solid 1b. I do not see Olave as a prime time. Sorry to my fellow Bucks fans. Wilson on the other hand isn't as good of a route runner as Olave. But he does everything better and has more upside. I think both will make good pros. Would I spend a first on either. Umm no. And I am a Buckeye fan. Pass on WR in the first. Second or third? Yep. Now if Njiba out of OSU was coming out this year? I would move up in the draft to grab him, He will be a hall of fame NFL WR barring injury. I haven't seen a guy like that in I don't know how long. Even Wilson and Olave said that he is the best of the group. I mean how good are you to get your first round teammates to admit you are better?

I agree that's what the steeler's brass normally does but the days of having your HOF QB make receivers look better are over.
they may have to break tradition

WindyCitySteel
03-21-2022, 12:55 PM

Pappy

Teams won't religiously run on 1st and 2nd down, especially against stout fronts.

Chucktownsteeler
03-21-2022, 01:05 PM
I don't see that at all. I mean Chris Olave might be there. I like his teammate Wilson better. Always did and my dad and I argued about it alot lol. Olave is subtle great with amazing route running. His hands speed and elite route running no doubt makes him a solid 1b. I do not see Olave as a prime time. Sorry to my fellow Bucks fans. Wilson on the other hand isn't as good of a route runner as Olave. But he does everything better and has more upside. I think both will make good pros. Would I spend a first on either. Umm no. And I am a Buckeye fan. Pass on WR in the first. Second or third? Yep. Now if Njiba out of OSU was coming out this year? I would move up in the draft to grab him, He will be a hall of fame NFL WR barring injury. I haven't seen a guy like that in I don't know how long. Even Wilson and Olave said that he is the best of the group. I mean how good are you to get your first round teammates to admit you are better?

Smith-Njiba is smooth and strong. Do you have any concerns about ball security with him?

Shawn
03-21-2022, 01:26 PM
Smith-Njiba is smooth and strong. Do you have any concerns about ball security with him? Not at all to be honest. Njiba is a freak of nature. He is a primetime #1 and will be an elite HOF WR on the next level. When you start overshadowing two teammates who are first round talents...now that's the kind of WR I would pick in the first round. I mean he had 347 yards and 3 TDs against Utah. He had 240 yards against Nebraska. Did you see that game against Utah? Unstoppable. He will be a top 5 pick.

Chucktownsteeler
03-21-2022, 01:30 PM
Not at all to be honest. Njiba is a freak of nature. He is a primetime #1 and will be an elite HOF WR on the next level. When you start overshadowing two teammates who are first round talents...now that's the kind of WR I would pick in the first round. I mean he had 347 yards and 3 TDs against Utah. He had 240 yards against Nebraska. Did you see that game against Utah? Unstoppable. He will be a top 5 pick.

I did and he was. We need to watch him next season whem Olave and Wilson are gone. I might be thinking of someoneelse but I thought he put therock on the ground a few times.

feltdizz
03-21-2022, 02:43 PM
Pappy do you not remember how Hampton was exposed? Teams learned to go no huddle on our 3-4. I loved Hampton but guys like him left with the FB.

No.. actually I don’t.

Casey played 12 years. I would expect a dip in production in the latter part of his career.

How was he “exposed?”

In 2011 we had the #1 rushing defense.

In 2012 we dipped to 6th.

But we all know that D was old and tired in 2012.

feltdizz
03-21-2022, 02:46 PM
Not at all to be honest. Njiba is a freak of nature. He is a primetime #1 and will be an elite HOF WR on the next level. When you start overshadowing two teammates who are first round talents...now that's the kind of WR I would pick in the first round. I mean he had 347 yards and 3 TDs against Utah. He had 240 yards against Nebraska. Did you see that game against Utah? Unstoppable. He will be a top 5 pick.

I’ll take your word for it but who was he facing? The best CB on the 3rd best CB?

I’m curious

Shawn
03-21-2022, 03:42 PM
I’ll take your word for it but who was he facing? The best CB on the 3rd best CB?

I’m curious Since Wilson and Olave were out that game I must assume the first.

Shawn
03-21-2022, 03:46 PM
No.. actually I don’t.

Casey played 12 years. I would expect a dip in production in the latter part of his career.

How was he “exposed?”

But we all know that D was old and tired in 2012.

It was a long time ago and I assume you have some senility setting in lol. Playing, but it happened and it was discussed here and in the media. The days of the two down OLman are done. I'm sure some teams still use them just like they use a fullback. But, a classic 340 pound NT who can only play two downs and can't move up and down the DL is antiquated.

Shawn
03-21-2022, 03:51 PM
I did and he was. We need to watch him next season whem Olave and Wilson are gone. I might be thinking of someoneelse but I thought he put therock on the ground a few times. I don't remember that but everyone puts the rock on the ground from time to time. I don't remember ball security being an issue. In the Utah game, Olave and Wilson were out. That was the biggest game of his career and I don't see it being any different next year. I see him possibly breaking 2000 yards next season. He has 1606 as the third option last season lol. The dude is a stud.

Northern_Blitz
03-21-2022, 06:11 PM
No.. actually I don’t.

How was he “exposed?”

But we all know that D was old and tired in 2012..

Reads this post.

Sets timer for how long it takes Cap to tell us about that year when Hampton was injured, Hoke plays, and we were better at run D.

Wonders if it's already happened because I didn't read ahead.

Flasteel
03-21-2022, 06:41 PM
But why? I mean I kind of get it. He's a physical specimen. But, is he a 3 down DLman? If not move on. He wasn't for GA why would he be for us? I have him as a late second and I wouldn't touch him. Why? Because, in modern day NFL you need guys you can stay on the field. You need guys who can play up and down the line. Don't get me wrong I understand why you love him. Davis is a freak. But he also can't play a full series. The day of Casey Hampton are done and we need to adapt to the times.

I think it is a valid question but not one which overrides his potential. It also may be entirely inaccurate and he is fully capable of being a 3-down player. He may have just come off the field at Georgia to keep him fresh and rotate him in with the rest of the studs on that defense. From a coaching perspective, if this guy is shutting down the opponent's run game on 1st and 2nd down, then you don't need him in the game on 3rd and long - particularly when you have a stable full of dudes who specialize in getting after the QB. Maybe that's exactly what the Georgia staff was also thinking? He seems like he would be able to significantly push the pocket from the inside, if he was in there on passing downs. Hell...based on his athleticism, he could probably line up as a DE over the tackle!

Wyatt seems like he would be a great pick. But I've never seen a player like Jordan Davis. His combination of size, athleticism, and high-level production is probably unique in draft history. You simply can't say that about Wyatt...or anyone else. In my opinion, Davis is transformational for this defense.

Shawn
03-21-2022, 06:53 PM

Reads this post.

Sets timer for how long it takes Cap to tell us about that year when Hampton was injured, Hoke plays, and we were better at run D.

Wonders if it's already happened because I didn't read ahead.

LMAO...my exact thoughts. I mean this was discussed ad nauseam on this board for like literally two seasons but old man Felt and his dementia doesn't remember it. Just playin Felt you know I love ya.

Shawn
03-21-2022, 06:59 PM
I think it is a valid question but not one which overrides his potential. It also may be entirely inaccurate and he is fully capable of being a 3-down player. He may have just come off the field at Georgia to keep him fresh and rotate him in with the rest of the studs on that defense. From a coaching perspective, if this guy is shutting down the opponent's run game on 1st and 2nd down, then you don't need him in the game on 3rd and long - particularly when you have a stable full of dudes who specialize in getting after the QB. Maybe that's exactly what the Georgia staff was also thinking? He seems like he would be able to significantly push the pocket from the inside, if he was in there on passing downs. Hell...based on his athleticism, he could probably line up as a DE over the tackle!

Wyatt seems like he would be a great pick. But I've never seen a player like Jordan Davis. His combination of size, athleticism, and high-level production is probably unique in draft history. You simply can't say that about Wyatt...or anyone else. In my opinion, Davis is transformational for this defense.

Listen I hear you and you make some great points. Maybe just maybe this beast of a human being can play most of the game 3 downs. I guess that is for the Steelers to figure out. But can he truly play up and down the line like Wyatt? When did we see that. Because when you make a call from a 3-4 over to a nickle does he have to come off the field? Those are questions for greater minds than mine. Because I don't see anything that leads me to believe that. Next, if he is that dominant and can do those things why on this green earth would Ga take him off the field in those situations. Lastly, I do not want just a guy good at stopping the run in the first round. Hey maybe that's just me but I stick to my belief that Wyatt is the target. He's the right pick.

Iron City Inc.
03-21-2022, 07:15 PM
It's not about how he was used. It's about his skill set. If I want him in the second, then I think he will make a great pro. At the college level he could get away with some of his deficits. I do see problems in coverage. In a pass first NFL, with 3 legit NFL franchise QBs in the AFC North? I want guys who can cover at an elite level and I'm just not seeing that, I love his violence. I love his physicality. He will make a good pro. But, he is not worth our first round pick.

It's good talking draft with you again. I remember some of those" Lewan and Joey Boza " posts we did a while back. You definitely need to keep these posts coming. It's good we don't always see things exactly the same. Makes it more interesting. You'll always be our OSU expert so if you got any info on their O linemen that are coming out please share. I know the Ruckert kid. Know the family. He's a good kid with a good family. Told his mom he'll be catching passes from Brady cause BA loved Friermuth and missed out on a "Y" te. Jeremy is similar I believe and should become a solid pro.

feltdizz
03-21-2022, 07:18 PM
It was a long time ago and I assume you have some senility setting in lol. Playing, but it happened and it was discussed here and in the media. The days of the two down OLman are done. I'm sure some teams still use them just like they use a fullback. But, a classic 340 pound NT who can only play two downs and can't move up and down the DL is antiquated.

I remember everyone saying it AFTER Hampton retired and we stopped looking for a traditional NT.

But I also remember the warning of it being a mistake and our run D would suffer without a Casey to anchor our 3-4.

and from what I remember our D was never been great at run stuffing and last year we were 32nd.

and my mistake. We were #1 overall D in 2011 not rushing. But we were #2 in rushing D in 2012. Last year, 32nd.

NJ-STEELER
03-21-2022, 07:39 PM

$$

and yes, it did happen. they used to experiment putting the OLBs at DE with DE lining up at DT to try and counter that

Shawn
03-22-2022, 01:03 AM
I remember everyone saying it AFTER Hampton retired and we stopped looking for a traditional NT.

But I also remember the warning of it being a mistake and our run D would suffer without a Casey to anchor our 3-4.

and from what I remember our D was never been great at run stuffing and last year we were 32nd.

and my mistake. We were #1 overall D in 2011 not rushing. But we were #2 in rushing D in 2012. Last year, 32nd.
You are a dinosaur Felt. Get with the times. Its a passing league. You need mobility and versatility. Maybe we just didnt have the right talent at the right age. I mean stats don't prove the need for a NT.

Shawn
03-22-2022, 01:05 AM
$$

and yes, it did happen. they used to experiment putting the OLBs at DE with DE lining up at DT to try and counter that Thank you. Felt is gaslighting me lol. I know we had these conversations even the media was commenting on it.

Shawn
03-22-2022, 01:27 AM
It's good talking draft with you again. I remember some of those" Lewan and Joey Boza " posts we did a while back. You definitely need to keep these posts coming. It's good we don't always see things exactly the same. Makes it more interesting. You'll always be our OSU expert so if you got any info on their O linemen that are coming out please share. I know the Ruckert kid. Know the family. He's a good kid with a good family. Told his mom he'll be catching passes from Brady cause BA loved Friermuth and missed out on a "Y" te. Jeremy is similar I believe and should become a solid pro.

Always Iron,,,you are one my favorites if not my favorite to bump heads with over picks. Listen at the end of the day I've been doing my thing here for over 13 years and much to my chagrin the Steelers haven't reached out to me for a contract. So, take my evaluations with a grain of salt. I know much about Ruckert. First, as a Y he is ideal. Close to the OL, isn't uber athletic at the NFL level but blocks like a beast and can catch balls. He isn't a TE you can move and scare offenses and make them adjust. But how many NFL teams want a Y in early rounds? Ruckert, I am a fan of on the college level. I hear he is a solid locker room guy and loves the game. I want that guy on my team. But, would I spend more than a 5th on him? No. I wouldn't. So, send this to my fellow Buckeye brother and use it as fodder to light that flame. I want him to prove me wrong.

Shawn
03-22-2022, 01:47 AM
$$

and yes, it did happen. they used to experiment putting the OLBs at DE with DE lining up at DT to try and counter that Thank you I'm not crazy. Felt is making me question my reality. Felt, why are you gaslighting me? :) Listen, I'm playing this was a real issue with Hampton. It wasn't just Hampton growing older, it was teams could expose him. He was limited and Belichick exposed him. After that it was a free for all.

papillon
03-22-2022, 09:17 AM
Pappy do you not remember how Hampton was exposed? Teams learned to go no huddle on our 3-4. I loved Hampton but guys like him left with the FB.

I don't know that I would call the defense "exposed" because of Hampton. They had some really good years late in his career and he played 12 years, that's nuts for a guy that big. Even still, the top 2 big bodies in this year's draft playing over the center are better athletes and better conditioned than Casey was back in the day. If they have to stay on the field for an extra down they may not get sacks but each has the potential to collapse a pocket in front of the quarterback and we all know that is the one place that quarterbacks hate seeing the pocket collapse. I'd take Davis if he's there in the 1st or the kid from Connecticut in the 2nd if he was there. The immediate upgrade in rush defense makes the Steelers defense a top defense imo.

Pappy

papillon
03-22-2022, 09:26 AM
Teams won't religiously run on 1st and 2nd down, especially against stout fronts.

That's fine, if the defense can make the offense one dimensional, that's a win. this past season, if not for big plays at big times in games the Steelers would have lost a couple more games. The Steelers need to be able to stymie one aspect of the other teams offense (probably all teams need to do this or try to) and the easiest to stymie is the running game. I just don't see how adding an athlete with the size and strength of Davis or Jones isn't a great help to this defense. He will also help keep guards from getting into our ILBs which we know had trouble getting off blocks last year.

Plus, the offense is so far from being good to great that it may be best to build the good to great defense and work towards an upgrade to above average on the offensive side of the ball and see how many games they win. The defense is going to carry the team again. In the KC playoff game had the offense been able to move the ball at all the game may have been closer. The first quarter and a half the defense was great but you can't maintain that level for 60 minutes, you need the offense to give you a chance and that didn't happen.

Pappy

feltdizz
03-22-2022, 10:48 AM
Thank you I'm not crazy. Felt is making me question my reality. Felt, why are you gaslighting me? :) Listen, I'm playing this was a real issue with Hampton. It wasn't just Hampton growing older, it was teams could expose him. He was limited and Belichick exposed him. After that it was a free for all.

NE exposed him?

I think NE exposed our cushion and LB on white WR/RB in the flat.

Putting all that on Casey is a bit weird.

feltdizz
03-22-2022, 10:56 AM
Thank you. Felt is gaslighting me lol. I know we had these conversations even the media was commenting on it.

gaslighting? c’mon.. I guess I am a dinosaur because I have no idea why people are so caught up on using that goofy term.. lol.

No, I’m just saying our run D has suffered and I don’t see the negative in forcing a team to pass instead of run because an NT is on the field. That’s the whole point. Make the other team one dimensional.

Also, so what if he only plays on 2 snaps or doesn’t get to the QB. A guy like Davis will make it hard for a QB to step up in the pocket on passing downs.

We are getting sacks with this futuristic defense but we are also giving up HUGE running lanes because everyone is trying to get upfield and the delayed handoffs and draws are killing us.

and it has to be soul crushing for all the people screaming “passing league”
and then crying about our run defense. This is what we wanted right? Right? lol..

SteelerOfDeVille
03-22-2022, 01:07 PM
I've been feeling like he's on the short list... And while i don't think QB is the choice in the 1st (i think Willis and Pickett would be gone and i just don't see a trade up happening) - i do see WR as a potential position, given the loss of 3 of them. My concern through all the WR losses is Claypool and Johnson just don't seem to be the right leaders. I'm hoping a hard-working veteran is acquired in free agency

Iron City Inc.
03-22-2022, 01:09 PM
Always Iron,,,you are one my favorites if not my favorite to bump heads with over picks. Listen at the end of the day I've been doing my thing here for over 13 years and much to my chagrin the Steelers haven't reached out to me for a contract. So, take my evaluations with a grain of salt. I know much about Ruckert. First, as a Y he is ideal. Close to the OL, isn't uber athletic at the NFL level but blocks like a beast and can catch balls. He isn't a TE you can move and scare offenses and make them adjust. But how many NFL teams want a Y in early rounds? Ruckert, I am a fan of on the college level. I hear he is a solid locker room guy and loves the game. I want that guy on my team. But, would I spend more than a 5th on him? No. I wouldn't. So, send this to my fellow Buckeye brother and use it as fodder to light that flame. I want him to prove me wrong.

Thanks for the kind words. If JR does go in the 5th that will be good value for whoever gets him. I would like that for us without a doubt. He may go a bit earlier I believe but who knows for sure. Keep the posts coming. Draft is only a month away.

Shawn
03-22-2022, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the kind words. If JR does go in the 5th that will be good value for whoever gets him. I would like that for us without a doubt. He may go a bit earlier I believe but who knows for sure. Keep the posts coming. Draft is only a month away.
You are welcome. You know talent and football. And no doubt I would take JR in the 5th and not look back. I do believe that would be good value. But he is a TE2-TE3 depending on the team. If he goes earlier than the 5th I would be shocked. I think some scouts have him as a 4th. Like I said imperfect science and anything can happen. And that isn't because he isn't a good player. He's solid but not spectacular.

Shawn
03-22-2022, 06:56 PM
I've been feeling like he's on the short list... And while i don't think QB is the choice in the 1st (i think Willis and Pickett would be gone and i just don't see a trade up happening) - i do see WR as a potential position, given the loss of 3 of them. My concern through all the WR losses is Claypool and Johnson just don't seem to be the right leaders. I'm hoping a hard-working veteran is acquired in free agency I do not see WR being the pick. When was the last time? Burress? We will grab a WR but it will be in the 3rd or later IMHO. I see DL and then either secondary or OL. But, the Steelers have shocked me before and will shock me again.

WindyCitySteel
03-22-2022, 07:01 PM
I do not see WR being the pick. When was the last time? Burress? We will grab a WR but it will be in the 3rd or later IMHO. I see DL and then either secondary or OL. But, the Steelers have shocked me before and will shock me again.

Holmes was the last. We've never been this thin at the position. A 3rd round project isn't going to cut it.

Shawn
03-22-2022, 07:04 PM
NE exposed him?

I think NE exposed our cushion and LB on white WR/RB in the flat.

Putting all that on Casey is a bit weird.

Putting words in my mouth. I didn't blame it all on Hampton but the Pats went 4-5 wide and no huddle. They gassed Hampton, spread out the blitz and dissected us. If I'm an opposing coach and I see a mammoth who is disruptive and is a problem I counter by spreading the field out, going no huddle and forcing your NT to play every down.

Shawn
03-22-2022, 07:05 PM
Holmes was the last. We've never been this thin at the position. A 3rd round project isn't going to cut it. Ah yes, Holmes how could I forget that since I predicted that pick.

Shawn
03-22-2022, 07:06 PM
gaslighting? c’mon.. I guess I am a dinosaur because I have no idea why people are so caught up on using that goofy term.. lol.

No, I’m just saying our run D has suffered and I don’t see the negative in forcing a team to pass instead of run because an NT is on the field. That’s the whole point. Make the other team one dimensional.

Also, so what if he only plays on 2 snaps or doesn’t get to the QB. A guy like Davis will make it hard for a QB to step up in the pocket on passing downs.

We are getting sacks with this futuristic defense but we are also giving up HUGE running lanes because everyone is trying to get upfield and the delayed handoffs and draws are killing us.

and it has to be soul crushing for all the people screaming “passing league”
and then crying about our run defense. This is what we wanted right? Right? lol..

I'm being playful. You know I love giving you a hard time.

feltdizz
03-22-2022, 07:15 PM
Putting words in my mouth. I didn't blame it all on Hampton but the Pats went 4-5 wide and no huddle. They gassed Hampton, spread out the blitz and dissected us. If I'm an opposing coach and I see a mammoth who is disruptive and is a problem I counter by spreading the field out, going no huddle and forcing your NT to play every down.

You said Billicheat exposed him and after that it was a free for all.

That wasn’t the case at all.

Teams spread us out and made our blitz ineffective. That wasn’t due to having a NT on the field. It was forcing our LB’s to cover instead of blitz.

NJ-STEELER
03-22-2022, 08:14 PM
teams with elite QBs don't care if you make them 1 dimensional with the pass this day and age.

some of these guys go up and down the field passing at will, even more so since they put in the new rules to protect receiver more then before.
you're not taking them out of their element by forcing them to pass. then they'll go multiple receiver sets earlier on, like shawn said.
is the #20 overall pick worth that?

the game has changed, and will keep changing with more and more passing

Flasteel
03-23-2022, 06:50 AM

Teams spread us out and made our blitz ineffective. That wasn’t due to having a NT on the field. It was forcing our LB’s to cover instead of blitz.

It was also the dreaded 10-yard cushion and quick passing game that chewed that once-great Steeler defense up. For whatever reason, the staff refused to get CBs who could press and disrupt routes off the line.

steeler_george
03-23-2022, 09:16 AM
Can he play center?

steeler_george
03-23-2022, 09:38 AM
I do believe sitting there at 20, the board will be open for all positions!

And Wyatt could make a great pick, especially if Davis, Willis, and Penning off the board.

WR and CB also make a strong case, but Wyatt could have the biggest impact.

How do you counter great QB play? (Burrows, Watson)
By having a great pressure from the front 7...
Heyward, Tuitt, Allulu and Wyatt make a great start with Watt and Highsmith, Jack and Bush ( add in rookie ILB)

* if we sign Edmunds/SS and 1 WR
1.20 Wyatt DL
2.52 Muma ILB
3.84 Bryant CB cincy

Shawn
03-24-2022, 01:10 PM

Better said Belichick exposed the weakness of the Steelers 3-4 D and one of those weaknesses is having a NT instead of a guy who can play all three downs up and down the DL.

feltdizz
03-24-2022, 02:34 PM
Better said Belichick exposed the weakness of the Steelers 3-4 D and one of those weaknesses is having a NT instead of a guy who can play all three downs up and down the DL.

True.. but I don’t think this was done to expose the NT. It was done to expose our LB’s and CB cushions.

What good is a zone blitz if you are forced to cover or dont have enough time to get
to the QB?

and didn’t NE have Vince Wilfork until 2014 when they ran a 3-4?

feltdizz
03-24-2022, 02:35 PM
It was also the dreaded 10-yard cushion and quick passing game that chewed that once-great Steeler defense up. For whatever reason, the staff refused to get CBs who could press and disrupt routes off the line.

and the one game where Lebeau said screw it and threw out the cushion and went press and NE couldn’t solve it.

It was amazing seeing how removing the cushion solved that problem.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-24-2022, 03:28 PM
and the one game where Lebeau said screw it and threw out the cushion and went press and NE couldn’t solve it.

It was amazing seeing how removing the cushion solved that problem.
it was weirder to see NE and the Raiders do it in what seemed like consecutive weeks - and LeBeau be shocked that it happened.

whisper
03-24-2022, 06:24 PM
it was weirder to see NE and the Raiders do it in what seemed like consecutive weeks - and LeBeau be shocked that it happened.

I remember those games...painful way to start a season.:mad:

Chucktownsteeler
03-24-2022, 09:09 PM
A strong front 7 immediately helps your secondary.

Oviedo
03-25-2022, 08:26 AM
You are a dinosaur Felt. Get with the times. Its a passing league. You need mobility and versatility. Maybe we just didnt have the right talent at the right age. I mean stats don't prove the need for a NT.

We suffered because we didn't have Tuitt or Alualu. Any defense in the league that loses two players of that talent level for an entire season is going to suffer

feltdizz
03-25-2022, 08:54 AM
We suffered because we didn't have Tuitt or Alualu. Any defense in the league that loses two players of that talent level for an entire season is going to suffer

This is true..

however, its hilarious to see people say its a passing league while we are last agaimst the run.

Regardless of how much passing is going on in the league if you can’t stop the run you will struggle to win games.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-25-2022, 04:48 PM
This is true..

however, its hilarious to see people say its a passing league while we are last agaimst the run.

Regardless of how much passing is going on in the league if you can’t stop the run you will struggle to win games.

Just goes to show it is a "we are going to figure out what your team can't do and exploit it for 60 minutes" league.

whisper
03-25-2022, 04:56 PM
This is true..

There is no doubt, and there is nothing more demoralizing than your team being helpless to stop the run.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-25-2022, 05:55 PM
There is no doubt, and there is nothing more demoralizing than your team being helpless to stop the run.

Agreed, especially considering that the fat guys up front love nothing more than run blocking, so nothing more fun than dominating at it.

NJ-STEELER
03-25-2022, 10:12 PM
if the coaches can't scheme a defense to stop the run with the talent they've amassed on that side of the ball, we have bigger issues then inserting a 1st round DL to fix it

Bawb the Revelator
03-25-2022, 11:46 PM

My NFL frame of reference includes the 1960s and 1970s and George Allen's LA Rams and Washington Redskins. George INSTANTLY won in both places with slightly above average QBs, win-ugly ground games and great defenses. I'm a retired Shrink and George was a legitimate psycho who finally wore out his welcome in both cities. OTOH there's no need for the Steelers to keep drafting for the next Franchise QB. Trubisky is more than enough. Stay with BPA and wait for another team to do something unusually Steady State Stupid because this always happens :)

WindyCitySteel
03-26-2022, 08:59 AM
if the coaches can't scheme a defense to stop the run with the talent they've amassed on that side of the ball, we have bigger issues then inserting a 1st round DL to fix it

Hard to stack the line when the secondary is also suspect and the other team's QB can throw longer than 2 yards.

steeler_george
03-27-2022, 05:21 AM
I just found out Wyatt is 24, take him off your boards ladies and gents.

For a week now, Shawn had me fall in love with him to only be heart broken by the news.

Ernie
03-27-2022, 06:33 AM
I'm hoping we take a stud DL or OL in round 1.
I wont be heart broken if we take Safety or WR..

BURGH86STEEL
03-27-2022, 07:09 AM
https://steelersdepot.com/2021/10/mike-tomlin-on-steelers-defense-nothing-mystical-to-stopping-the-run-better/

Tomlin spoke about stopping the run during the season. Sometimes coaches tell the truth. Tomlin is typically a straight shooter. Probably more so behind closed doors if you believe what players state.

I think the Steelers would love to take a QB if one they liked fell to them. Who makes the call?

WindyCitySteel
03-27-2022, 09:03 AM

For a week now, Shawn had me fall in love with him to only be heart broken by the news.

Same with Pickett and maybe Ridder. They spend first rounders on underclassmen.

Shawn
03-28-2022, 08:39 AM
True.. but I don’t think this was done to expose the NT. It was done to expose our LB’s and CB cushions.

What good is a zone blitz if you are forced to cover or dont have enough time to get
to the QB?

and didn’t NE have Vince Wilfork until 2014 when they ran a 3-4?

It was done to expose the weakness of the 3-4 D which involves all those components. But, the anchor of the 3-4 is the NT. It's just my personal opinion but selecting a 2 down 0-1 NT in the first is not the best use of the pick no matter how dominant you may believe him to be especially if he has a teammate almost as dominant who is a more versatile 3 down DLman who can also play the 0-1.

hackjam
03-28-2022, 10:38 AM

Well, Jarvis Jones was almost 24 when he was drafted (turned 24 early on in the season) so not totally unprecedented but yeah that takes down the likelihood quite a bit.

hawaiiansteel
04-14-2022, 11:22 PM

Teams Dropping Devonte Wyatt From Boards Over Repeated Domestic Violence

Updated April 14, 2022

Back at the 2022 NFL Scouting Combine, WalterFootball.com reported there were serious character concerns that were hurting Georgia defensive tackle Devonte Wyatt with pro teams. Wyatt put together an excellent combine workout, many began projecting him to the first round of the 2022 NFL Draft. Multiple NFL teams told WalterFootball.com since that they have dropped Wyatt off their boards because of repeated incidents of domestic violence.

In February of 2020, Wyatt was arrested for a "family violence" incident. Team sources say that their private investigators found out about three additional domestic violence incidents. With that in his background, sources from multiple teams say Wyatt is off their draft board.

"He's off our board," said an AFC general manager whose team needs defensive tackle help. "If teams are okay with the character, I think he goes between No. 21-32. He has a lot of red flags."

An NFC director of player personnel from a team that needs defensive tackle help as well said Wyatt was off their board because of the domestic violence issues. Surprisingly, Wyatt was not suspended or kicked off the team at Georgia by head coach Kirby Smart despite the incidents. Many teams are digging into the issues, while Wyatt has taken pre-draft visits with the Vikings, Packers, Chiefs, Eagles, Jets and Raiders.

While Wyatt has been a rising prospect after the 2021 season and workouts, the domestic violence issue has some teams dropping Wyatt off their board. If he slides in the 2022 NFL Draft, the character problem will be the reason why.

https://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/Teams-Dropping-Wyatt-From-Boards-Over-Repeated-Domestic-Violence

Captain Lemming
04-14-2022, 11:26 PM

Updated April 14, 2022

Back at the 2022 NFL Scouting Combine, WalterFootball.com reported there were serious character concerns that were hurting Georgia defensive tackle Devonte Wyatt with pro teams. Wyatt put together an excellent combine workout, many began projecting him to the first round of the 2022 NFL Draft. Multiple NFL teams told WalterFootball.com since that they have dropped Wyatt off their boards because of repeated incidents of domestic violence.

In February of 2020, Wyatt was arrested for a "family violence" incident. Team sources say that their private investigators found out about three additional domestic violence incidents. With that in his background, sources from multiple teams say Wyatt is off their draft board.

"He's off our board," said an AFC general manager whose team needs defensive tackle help. "If teams are okay with the character, I think he goes between No. 21-32. He has a lot of red flags."

An NFC director of player personnel from a team that needs defensive tackle help as well said Wyatt was off their board because of the domestic violence issues. Surprisingly, Wyatt was not suspended or kicked off the team at Georgia by head coach Kirby Smart despite the incidents. Many teams are digging into the issues, while Wyatt has taken pre-draft visits with the Vikings, Packers, Chiefs, Eagles, Jets and Raiders.

While Wyatt has been a rising prospect after the 2021 season and workouts, the domestic violence issue has some teams dropping Wyatt off their board. If he slides in the 2022 NFL Draft, the character problem will be the reason why.

https://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/Teams-Dropping-Wyatt-From-Boards-Over-Repeated-Domestic-Violence

Well Shawn said he was "nasty". :)

Bawb the Revelator
04-14-2022, 11:38 PM
Well Shawn said he was "nasty". :)

Al Davis may be dead but his mentality is alive and well. :)

WindyCitySteel
04-15-2022, 07:16 AM
Teams will virtue signal to save themselves draft capital, but I mean Joe Mixon, Kareem Hunt, and Tyreek Hill are all stars in this league. Wyatt will be, too.

Northern_Blitz
04-15-2022, 09:02 AM

Updated April 14, 2022

Seems like we'd be out on him then (unless a baptism was involved...:rolleyes:)

Flasteel
04-15-2022, 09:26 AM

He kicked the door open of a girl he was living with and was charged with a misdemeanor. The report said it was a verbal argument and neither of them ever felt threatened. Not sure what those other vaguely reported issues were about but by itself, I wouldn't think this comes close to impacting his draft status.

Davis, Wyatt, or Jones. Hopefully, we get one of them.

feltdizz
04-15-2022, 10:07 AM

yeah.. maybe he drops to the second round? Teams will take a chance on him but they will also take advantage of this since he is a risk.

One time is a teachable moment but I read he has multiple incidents. If he is with the same woman then hell no because once that money comes she is going to really ramp up.

and if its multiple women then it means he has bigger issues and we really don’t need that type of guy in our locker room

whisper
04-15-2022, 04:05 PM
Well, Jarvis Jones was almost 24 when he was drafted (turned 24 early on in the season) so not totally unprecedented but yeah that takes down the likelihood quite a bit.

You're not making a good argument bringing up JJ as to someone who was drafted later in life. He was one of our all-time worst 1st round picks in modern history of the franchise. He plain sucked @ss.

NJ-STEELER
01-14-2023, 08:27 AM

as obvious as Najee was last year, unless a QB they like falls to 20

boom

QB in round 1
receiver in round 2

you gettin tired yet, captain ??? :)

NJ-STEELER
01-14-2023, 08:30 AM

like i was saying
no tuiit
no 1st round DL
alualu was indeed done
leal missing games during the year.
and the reigning DPOY missing significant time

run defense finished 9th in the league

Captain ?