PDA

View Full Version : I like where we are

Oviedo
03-19-2022, 09:44 AM
While we have the typical negativity we see towards anything the team does, I think we had an incredibly strong week.

Offense:
QB--Better than a fading Ben and likely better suited to fully implement Canada's offense. Trubisky gets hate because of where he was drafted and unfulfilled expectations that were unrealistic given where he went. Trubisky didn't force the Bears to be stupid and draft him #2. Keep in mind, he made a Pro Bowl and took them to the playoffs twice (not great teams)...what have the Bears done since he left? I think that Trubisky will be a top 10 QB in Pittsburgh and in Canada's offense.....perhaps bring meaning to the term "Mitchburgh"

Offensive Live--Any doubt we are SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER? Add two experienced NFL starters. Need to say anymore. Najee probably thought he went to heaven when he heard who we got

Wide Receiver--Area of concern with loss of JuJu. Need a depth signing in free agency, but likely a big pick in the draft

TE--set for years and given what Trubisky does best, I expect Freiermuth to challenge for a Pro Bowl spot

RB--got a stud who with a better OL will be tremendous.

Oviedo
03-19-2022, 09:57 AM
Defense:
Defensive Line--Still think we need to get better but if Tuitt and Alualu come back that is a big plus. However they were solid in pass rush, but need to stiffen in run defense Still would consider this as our Round 1 pick if available...I think two years of below their standards rush defense will force their hand

ILB--Miles Jack will be a plus. Johnson has a year experience and Bush will have a full year recovery from knee surgery. He's heard the hate. I expect he will be motivated to geth that next contract

OLB--got best defensive player in the league and rising talent on the other side. Need depth but still excellent

Cornerback--We are BETTER after this week. Wallace is a very good player. If Witherspoon continues his growth he is a strong player opposite Wallace. Sutton is super versatile playing inside and out. Got some promising young guys like James Pierre but need depth

Safety--Minkah is one of the best. I'm on record saying we need Edmunds back because he is a good partner for Minkah. If we don't get Edmunds, we need to sign "Honey Badger" or go Safety early in this draft

WindyCitySteel
03-19-2022, 09:57 AM
Yeah, we've built a decent team, if the year is 1977. In today's passing league we're missing just about everything needed to be a champion. Still time to add a couple pieces in the draft, and we've got a great pass rush.

RB and TE are fine as you said, CB are *I think* ok, big hole currently at SS, ILB have pedigree but two of the worst graded in 2021, WR needs help, OT average at best though there's hope Moore will improve, interior OL went from disaster to decent, and QB is a disaster.

Thinking we should trade down and accumulate draft capital, even if it's 2023 draft capital. We might be in shouting distance next year to trade up for a top QB.

Oviedo
03-19-2022, 10:00 AM
Now about the bad guys:

Bumgals--I expect take a step back. Good QB and WRs but their OL needs help. Lost their best TE. Defense is Good but not world beaters. Guarantee a post Super Bowl fade

Ravens--what have they done to get better?

Browns--go ahead and get crazy about Watson. What did he do for the Texans. His contract all but guarantees after this year they will have to shed talent. Already lost pieces on the offensive line and at TE.

Eich
03-19-2022, 10:11 AM
I like where we are too. I think we went about this offseason in a very smart way. If Trubisky doesn't work out, we're not in cap hell and can keep our eyes on the upcoming drafts for the next franchise QB.

While I agree with your comments on the bad guys, the AFCN is a very tough division. But we found ways to win with bad/crippled Ben, a crap OL and the loss of Juju... 2021 was the worse offense I can recall in a decade. We'll find ways to win again. We'll go into this season better than we were. There's hope and that's what you want as a fan.

WindyCitySteel
03-19-2022, 10:12 AM
Now about the bad guys:

Bumgals--I expect take a step back. Good QB and WRs but their OL needs help. Lost their best TE. Defense is Good but not world beaters. Guarantee a post Super Bowl fade

Browns--go ahead and get crazy about Watson. What did he do for the Texans. His contract all but guarantees after this year they will have to shed talent. Already lost pieces on the offensive line and at TE.

Bengals have already added two interior OL as good or better than the guys the Steelers added. The Ravens added to their loaded secondary and have the best in the league now, and get back basically half their roster that was on IR last year.

This is the the blindest homer take I've seen in some while here.

Northern_Blitz
03-19-2022, 10:15 AM
I also like the week we've had.

I think we're working to be in a position where we're at least close to being a QB away.

I think Mitch will be OK. And if he thrives great. If not, I think we go all out for a rookie next year.

And if the division is as strong as people fear, we might get a pretty high pick anyway.

So I think it's been pretty good too.

Steel Maniac
03-19-2022, 10:16 AM
I think it’s too early to make AFC north determinations.

Steel Maniac
03-19-2022, 10:20 AM
I also like the week we've had.

I think we're working to be in a position where we're at least close to being a QB away.

I think Mitch will be OK. And if he thrives great. If not, I think we go all out for a rookie next year.

And if the division is as strong as people fear, we might get a pretty high pick anyway.

So I think it's been pretty good too.

I think we’ve added guys who upgrade our depth overall. We’re headed in the right direction. If we could trade down a few spots , pick up a second round pick in the process , I’d be super happy with what we could possibly do with our first 3 picks!!!

NorthCoast
03-19-2022, 10:23 AM
Bengals have already added two interior OL as good or better than the guys the Steelers added. The Ravens added to their loaded secondary and have the best in the league now, and get back basically half their roster that was on IR last year.

This is the the blindest homer take I've seen in some while here.CIN played the second weakest schedule in the NFL last season and their QB was absolutely demolished with 70 sacks. They had better hope their upgrade is stellar. Ravens still have LJ who can't seem to pass outside the hashes. They will have their RBs back so maybe he only needs to throw 10 times a game.

WindyCitySteel
03-19-2022, 10:31 AM
CIN played the second weakest schedule in the NFL last season and their QB was absolutely demolished with 70 sacks. They had better hope their upgrade is stellar. Ravens still have LJ who can't seem to pass outside the hashes. They will have their RBs back so maybe he only needs to throw 10 times a game.

70 sacks and a couple bad calls away from winning the Super Bowl. They've already improved their line greatly and can add more in FA and the draft.

I'd like to wish them away but I can't.

Flasteel
03-19-2022, 10:36 AM

That's what I thought too. C'mon Ovi!

I like the mindset of conceding nothing in this division and there will be 17 games that determine the final pecking order. However, the harsh reality is that we will be entering the season all alone in the AFC North basement. On paper, every other team in our division has improved as much or more so far in this offseason and we are the only team without a franchise QB (say what you will about Jackson).

Let's see how it all plays out though. I still like the moves this team is making and our chances to be a playoff team.

Buzz
03-19-2022, 10:40 AM
Daniels was a big upgrade on the OL. Cole would have to suck pretty bad to not be an improvement over Green at C. Jack has some red flags, hope he can turn out to help solidify our LB corps, but I think it's unknown at this point. Good to have Spoon back, but not really an upgrade. Will Levi Wallace be as good as Haden? He's cheaper and younger, but don't know that we can call that an upgrade yet.

Until we sign someone, we still have a hole at SS ... unknown at this point if that will be an upgrade or not. Lost a starting WR, and two depth receivers; may have gained a slight upgrade at returner/STs player in Olezewski, but he's not a receiver. Besides a safety, we still need depth at RB and ILB help, IMO.

I expect Trubisky to be an upgrade over Rudolph, but I have to temper my expectations because I haven't seen him run a play in Canada's offense yet.

I like some of the moves we've made, but I think we have a ways to go yet in FA and the draft.

Steel Maniac
03-19-2022, 10:43 AM
70 sacks and a couple bad calls away from winning the Super Bowl. They've already improved their line greatly and can add more in FA and the draft.

I'd like to wish them away but I can't.

No secret what the bengals are going to do with their first couple of picks so they’ll be improved weather we like it or not.

We don’t have a franchise QB so we are a non-factor in winning the AFC. And that is the inconvenient truth.

But we are in the process of solidifying all positions around the QB so when we finally go after and get a franchise QB, he’ll have what he needs to succeed.

It’s a process right now. Let’s try to enjoy the journey.

Shawn
03-19-2022, 10:44 AM
I like where we are too. I think we went about this offseason in a very smart way. If Trubisky doesn't work out, we're not in cap hell and can keep our eyes on the upcoming drafts for the next franchise QB.

While I agree with your comments on the bad guys, the AFCN is a very tough division. But we found ways to win with bad/crippled Ben, a crap OL and the loss of Juju... 2021 was the worse offense I can recall in a decade. We'll find ways to win again. We'll go into this season better than we were. There's hope and that's what you want as a fan.

Agreed...I think the Steelers had the smartest offseason in the AFC North.

Steel Maniac
03-19-2022, 10:50 AM
Agreed...I think the Steelers had the smartest offseason in the AFC North.

We are laying the foundation in this coming draft for 2023 and beyond. It’s painful to some but you gotta look at the big picture. I take comfort in the big picture.

Terrapin
03-19-2022, 11:12 AM
Now about the bad guys:

Wait, so we'll be better because we may get Tuitt and Alualu back, but the Ravens won't be better despite getting half of their starters back who were injured last year? Interesting.

Cincy improved just as much or more than us, and are probably better than us at every position on the field (except Watt and Cam).

The Browns were in the SB discussion last preseason until they imploded, largely because of horrid QB play. They're rectified that in a BIG way. They also improved at WR, and have the best running game and defense in the division (maybe in the entire league).

We're also well behind every team in the AFC West, Buffalo, NE, Tennesse, and possibly Indy and Miami. We can talk about the 'future' all we want, but the fact is most of those teams have franchise QBs, and will have them for a while. Not that this is necessarily our fault, aside from maybe not planning better for Ben's departure. But like I said in another thread, we're going to be in for a long 3-5 years. It is what it is.

Northern_Blitz
03-19-2022, 11:15 AM
No secret what the bengals are going to do with their first couple of picks so they’ll be improved weather we like it or not.

We don’t have a franchise QB so we are a non-factor in winning the AFC. And that is the inconvenient truth.

But we are in the process of solidifying all positions around the QB so when we finally go after and get a franchise QB, he’ll have what he needs to succeed.

It’s a process right now. Let’s try to enjoy the journey.

I guess the counter point is the Titans.

That's how we're trying to build the team currently.

They've been pretty competitive with that model (which is really the model we had when we were all in the Central).

I'd rather have a stud QB. But several teams that have appeared in SBs recently have had average-ish QB play if the QB was cheap. Wentz/Foles won the SB. Kaep made it. Goff made it.

You don't have to have a stud QB if your guy is cheap and your team is good on both sides of the ball. Of course you'd rather be good on both sides of the ball and have a cheap, young QB. But you can only do that by hitting the jackpot in the draft.

Northern_Blitz
03-19-2022, 11:18 AM
We are laying the foundation in this coming draft for 2023 and beyond. It’s painful to some but you gotta look at the big picture. I take comfort in the big picture.

This is how I see it too.

With a small probability that Mitch really was screwed by a combination of starting too early and Chicago being a terrible organization. Not impossible, but not likely either. Again...it's the same model as the Titans are using.

WindyCitySteel
03-19-2022, 11:23 AM
I don't see them building for the future as much - a lot of the guys we signed are cuttable after one year, none signed longer than 3, right?

And Daniels is the only one I'm really excited about because of his youth and ability. A lot of lateral moves in our signings. A couple reclamation projects in there, too.

NorthCoast
03-19-2022, 12:02 PM
They say that every season the team is different. Some guys leave, some guys stay. And while this may very well be true, for many teams it's a matter of tweeking and filling out depth rather than wholesale change. Not so for the Steelers this year. This team will be VERY different from what we have seen for the last decade. No one can say how good or bad they might end up. I think based on QB alone most media types (and some fans) will immediately slot the Steelers in the basement. Sure, that's a low risk bet. But if I had to guess right now I would say they end up better than what most will predict.

But one thing that no one on this earth can predict is injury. Five of the top nine least injured teams made the playoffs last season. Staying healthy and having quality depth are musts in such a long season. The Steelers made headway in building that depth. They will add to that in the upcoming draft with deep talent at some positions of need.

I'm excited about the upcoming season because it won't be more of the same on offense, and the defense has an important new face that could actually be big upgrade from what the Steelers had previously.

Let's Go!

Jooser
03-19-2022, 12:40 PM
There's no doubt we're going to be totally different in comparison to what we have been over the past nearly two decades with Big Ben. Mitch might surprise us. I think the run game gets better with the signings of Daniels and Cole. That alone will help this offense I hope. We're going to need to get better in the trenches, and I think on the O side we've done that. There are so many question marks on the DL though. I'd rate my expectation as luke-warm to cautiously optimistic. We'll see....

T.Ferguson
03-19-2022, 12:49 PM
I like the OL and CB moves.

I like the returner move.

Trubisky is meh.

I hope Edmunds isn't back, not a fan.

Jack seems a lateral move to me most likely or even possibly a step back move.

flippy
03-19-2022, 12:52 PM
I generally like where we’re going. Anxious to see what we do with S, WR, DL, and CB ahead of the draft.

Once we shore everything up, I suspect we could be looking seriously at CB, DL, WR, and QB in the draft.

I might even consider trading up to get one of the top CBs which could be a surprise play.

I think WR is in play early too as we need that #1 and everyone has seen what guys like Chase and Jefferson can do for an entire offense recently.

I am still surprised we didn’t try to keep Juju given the focus we may have on running the ball. We could end up running more than anybody and we let a beast of a blocker go for relatively little if his contract really was all incentives.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-19-2022, 12:59 PM
You don't have to have a stud QB if your guy is cheap and your team is good on both sides of the ball. Of course you'd rather be good on both sides of the ball and have a cheap, young QB. But you can only do that by hitting the jackpot in the draft.

THIS! We act like Brady isn’t winning because he gives discounts allowing the team to build around him.

He is the GOAT because he’s NOT the highest paid QB - and shoulda been for the last 15 years…

SteelerOfDeVille
03-19-2022, 01:01 PM
I generally like where we’re going. Anxious to see what we do with S, WR, DL, and CB ahead of the draft.

Once we shore everything up, I suspect we could be looking seriously at CB, DL, WR, and QB in the draft.

I might even consider trading up to get one of the top CBs which could be a surprise play.

I think WR is in play early too as we need that #1 and everyone has seen what guys like Chase and Jefferson can do for an entire offense recently.

I am still surprised we didn’t try to keep Juju given the focus we may have on running the ball. We could end up running more than anybody and we let a beast of a blocker go for relatively little if his contract really was all incentives.
same on JuJu… but i suspect the team will be looking for guys who have good RAC abilities with all the short passing

SteelBucks
03-19-2022, 01:04 PM
Now about the bad guys:

Bengals OL improved in FA and they’re working on a few others. Burrow should be well protected.

Ernie
03-19-2022, 03:12 PM

I think Ovi could have stopped with "The good" and been fine. I agree with most of what he said there...

Oviedo
03-19-2022, 03:13 PM

Same. Still work to do but moving in the right direction. Best off season in a decade.

Do need to sort out Def Line, WR and Safety before the draft.

Hoping Edmunds doesn't go like JuJu.

Oviedo
03-19-2022, 03:14 PM
THIS! We act like Brady isn’t winning because he gives discounts allowing the team to build around him.

He is the GOAT because he’s NOT the highest paid QB - and shoulda been for the last 15 years…

You can do that when your wife is richer than you are. Not an option for all players so it was never noble on the part of Brady

papillon
03-19-2022, 03:35 PM
I guess the counter point is the Titans.

That's how we're trying to build the team currently.

They've been pretty competitive with that model (which is really the model we had when we were all in the Central).

I'd rather have a stud QB. But several teams that have appeared in SBs recently have had average-ish QB play if the QB was cheap. Wentz/Foles won the SB. Kaep made it. Goff made it.

And, losing a lot of games to get the prime top 10 pick, the Steelers don't build a team to lose games. They try to win as many games as they can each year. My money is on 10 wins or better for the Steelers this upcoming year. The Steelers made the playoffs with a quarterback that could only play at an NFL level for about 1/3 of the game and with a defense that was getting gouged in the running game but made plays when needed. The Steelers are better in both of those areas as of right now. I'm sticking with 10 or more wins, playoffs, maybe, maybe not.

Pappy

NorthCoast
03-19-2022, 03:48 PM
I like the OL and CB moves.

I like the returner move.

Trubisky is meh.

I hope Edmunds isn't back, not a fan.

Jack seems a lateral move to me most likely or even possibly a step back move.Trubisky may be 'meh' but is he better than the 28th ranked QB from last season? That is what determines whether he is an upgrade.

Oviedo
03-19-2022, 04:12 PM
Trubisky may be 'meh' but is he better than the 28th ranked QB from last season? That is what determines whether he is an upgrade.

Exactly. Better than what Ben was will be an improvement. Doesn't have to be in the Pro Bowl although he has been before.

T.Ferguson
03-19-2022, 04:36 PM
Trubisky may be 'meh' but is he better than the 28th ranked QB from last season? That is what determines whether he is an upgrade.

Well for one thing I sure wouldn't say Ben was the 28th ranked QB last season. He had like six 4th quarter comeback wins. Would've won another one against the Chargers but the D allowed a TD drive at the end.

Northern_Blitz
03-19-2022, 04:52 PM
They say that every season the team is different. Some guys leave, some guys stay. And while this may very well be true, for many teams it's a matter of tweeking and filling out depth rather than wholesale change. Not so for the Steelers this year. This team will be VERY different from what we have seen for the last decade. No one can say how good or bad they might end up. I think based on QB alone most media types (and some fans) will immediately slot the Steelers in the basement. Sure, that's a low risk bet. But if I had to guess right now I would say they end up better than what most will predict.

But one thing that no one on this earth can predict is injury. Five of the top nine least injured teams made the playoffs last season. Staying healthy and having quality depth are musts in such a long season. The Steelers made headway in building that depth. They will add to that in the upcoming draft with deep talent at some positions of need.

I'm excited about the upcoming season because it won't be more of the same on offense, and the defense has an important new face that could actually be big upgrade from what the Steelers had previously.

Let's Go!

I wonder if injury is correlated with age.

Will having a younger team lead to fewer expected injuries?

And while I like our starting DL, they're older.

NJ-STEELER
03-19-2022, 04:55 PM
On paper, I think it’s fair to say
we have the best LB and DL (with tuiit back) in the division.

now for the bad news.
we probably have the worst starting QB, OL, and WR corps in the division as well

Northern_Blitz
03-19-2022, 05:21 PM
And, losing a lot of games to get the prime top 10 pick, the Steelers don't build a team to lose games. They try to win as many games as they can each year. My money is on 10 wins or better for the Steelers this upcoming year. The Steelers made the playoffs with a quarterback that could only play at an NFL level for about 1/3 of the game and with a defense that was getting gouged in the running game but made plays when needed. The Steelers are better in both of those areas as of right now. I'm sticking with 10 or more wins, playoffs, maybe, maybe not.

Pappy

I hope so.

10 games is good and probably gets us into the playoffs now that 7 get in.

8 or 9 and just missing would be the worst outcome.

I think the team will be better this year.

But I also think the division is better, so I doubt we go 4-2 in the North.

We'll see though. If the offense can be around average and the defense can be good. That's a recipe for some success. Especially if you can get hot at the right time.

Ernie
03-19-2022, 05:37 PM
Well for one thing I sure wouldn't say Ben was the 28th ranked QB last season. He had like six 4th quarter comeback wins. Would've won another one against the Chargers but the D allowed a TD drive at the end.

Slow starts contributed to the high # of 4th qtr comeback wins.. Ben earned his 28 ranking, despite the pedigree

Chucktownsteeler
03-19-2022, 05:58 PM

I would agree, Ben had 7 4th quarter comebacks, winning 6 of them. The defense couldn’t hold the lead in 1. He was on the cusp of another against the Vikes but Claypool’s antics and a great defensive play in the end zone thwarted that one. The Steelers won in spite of Canada, not because of him.

Canada was too stubborn to change his offense to suit his player’s skill set. He has his RPO mobile QB now, he has no excuses.

crushedspirit
03-19-2022, 06:53 PM
Steelers have improved at CB and OL, and a better returner, but when compared to the rest of the AFC, what dent will that make? I see that some other AFC teams have improved leaps and bounds, and the teams that already were better, still appear to be better. They will need a much better QB, so let's hope that comes sooner rather than later.

Improvements within yourself doesn't mean much when one is competing against others. An Olympic athlete can go to the games and clock their best time ever running the 100 yd dash, yet still finish dead last.

***I'm not expecting much this season anyways***

WindyCitySteel
03-19-2022, 06:59 PM
Exactly. Better than what Ben was will be an improvement. Doesn't have to be in the Pro Bowl although he has been before.

The Steelers won a lot of games with clutch play late from Ben. Trubisky is not that guy.

Jooser
03-19-2022, 07:39 PM

Pappy

Absolutely. Nice summation Pappy.

-joos

Mr.wizard
03-19-2022, 07:44 PM
The Steelers won a lot of games with clutch play late from Ben. Trubisky is not that guy.

Ya but we were also in a lot of those situations because of Ben and his poor play for the first 3 quarters.

NorthCoast
03-19-2022, 08:25 PM
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32071373/nfl-quarterback-rankings-2021-how-all-32-teams-qbs-stack-weekly-big-takeaways.

Looking at this list it is possible Trubisky could up in the late teens early 20s in ranking. Depends on whether the OL gels, Canada doesn't blow it, and they find a #1 WR.

NorthCoast
03-19-2022, 08:29 PM

Steelers won a lot of clutch games because they failed to score a TD in the first half for something like five straight weeks. If the Steelers manage to do it right this season the plan would be to score early, get a lead and let Najee and the defense play out the rest of the game.

T.Ferguson
03-19-2022, 09:55 PM
Steelers won a lot of clutch games because they failed to score a TD in the first half for something like five straight weeks. If the Steelers manage to do it right this season the plan would be to score early, get a lead and let Najee and the defense play out the rest of the game.

You better hope that's the plan lol. Didn't you post Trubisky's 4th quarter rating before the Steelers signed him?

Starlifter
03-19-2022, 10:05 PM
Look, I know the game is ever evolving and it's a copycat league. I know the flavor of the month is a young mobile QB who can throw 'no-look' sidearm passes and put up gaudy numbers.

But it appears to me the Steelers are NOT embracing that trend and are quietly going back to the formula where even Ben won Superbowls. top ranked defense, solid running game and a QB that didn't throw 50 times a game.

If you're old school and not interested in fads, it's hard not to look at the moves the Steelers have made in the last week or so and see that they have made a dramatic improvement towards a style of football that has won them 6 Lombardi's. I don't know if we need to get in an arms race for QB's with the other teams in the division. There's something to be said for smothering defense and a ball control, time consuming offense.

Time will tell if these are the right moves - but if what's happening around the league with these astronomical contracts for one player proves itself to be a fad after all, the Steelers will be sitting pretty with a roster built for smashmouth traditional football that could yield great results.

or not........

SteelerOfDeVille
03-19-2022, 11:20 PM
You can do that when your wife is richer than you are. Not an option for all players so it was never noble on the part of Brady
Not true. If ya took $30 mil per year instead of $50, i think you’ll be alright…

Captain Lemming
03-19-2022, 11:36 PM
Not true. If ya took $30 mil per year instead of $50, i think you’ll be alright…

Through last season the most money in total of any player in history.

Might be homeless soon and be forced to live in his vehicle.

https://robbreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Lead-Ext-Front.jpg?resize=800,450

steeler_george
03-20-2022, 05:42 AM
I REALLY LIKE WERE WE ARE !

So far, all the FA pieces look like a great match for what the team needs now and in the future.

Just looking at the current roster, this team is much better.
Our offense should be more dynamic under Canada, more play action and heavy dose of running. The weakness of the O, the IOL, looks to be fixed.
Our D looks amazing, the front 7 should destroy every OL they face, and that run D should be fixed. The DBs look solid and deeper.

Cincy is going to be the top dog, got to love Burrows... but they will also have a harder schedule.
Ravens, they are always going to be in it. They are built just like us.
Cleveland, with Watson aboard they are going to be tough, but he is expected to suspended for a few games ( Ben was suspended for what 6 games?) are they going to be able to contention after 6 games? And next year they will be hurting cap wise and lack of draft picks.

So yeah I like were we stand.

Ernie
03-20-2022, 05:56 AM
I'm with you Steeler George... this year will tell the tale.. hopefully Trubisky is our guy moving forward. If he pans out he is young enough... he can be our guy for the next 7-8 years. I'm hopeful this year really sets us up for a run in 2023

Steelerphile
03-20-2022, 06:33 AM
When I first looked at Trubisky as a young player I was not that impressed either, but one thing I think is important to do, is keep your mind open to the aspect of player evolution. I don't think most people do this. They think the player you see as a rookie is the player you always will see. Whereas I don' think Trubisky can stand in the pocket and outduel the top passing QBs on a consistent basis. He might occasionally do that and I think he has gotten better. Yet, I have not watched his games all that much.

But one thing I feel good about is his running ability and I think other than Jackson, he might have the best feet in AFC at QB. So they must use that. I would say to Mitch, get at least 300 yards rushing this year on your own and that will open up the running for Najee and whoever else. It will also make the defense more open to passing. Do the sprint outs and RPOS. As I tend to be an optimist and think this is possible rather than hold my head and say Oh No.

The Steelers can be a more run oriented team and be successful also.

NorthCoast
03-20-2022, 08:30 AM
Look, I know the game is ever evolving and it's a copycat league. I know the flavor of the month is a young mobile QB who can throw 'no-look' sidearm passes and put up gaudy numbers.

But it appears to me the Steelers are NOT embracing that trend and are quietly going back to the formula where even Ben won Superbowls. top ranked defense, solid running game and a QB that didn't throw 50 times a game.

If you're old school and not interested in fads, it's hard not to look at the moves the Steelers have made in the last week or so and see that they have made a dramatic improvement towards a style of football that has won them 6 Lombardi's. I don't know if we need to get in an arms race for QB's with the other teams in the division. There's something to be said for smothering defense and a ball control, time consuming offense.

Time will tell if these are the right moves - but if what's happening around the league with these astronomical contracts for one player proves itself to be a fad after all, the Steelers will be sitting pretty with a roster built for smashmouth traditional football that could yield great results.

or not........

Only problem with this theory is it doesn't really sync with what Canada is known for on offense.
But who knows, maybe he'll tailor his offense to the players he's got.

NorthCoast
03-20-2022, 08:50 AM
You better hope that's the plan lol. Didn't you post Trubisky's 4th quarter rating before the Steelers signed him?Yea. Don't look to him for 4th qtr magic.....or take the positive outlook, he's got a lot of room for improvement:)

Qtr 4&5 efficiency, regular season;

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51949638776_0bc81f8b88_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2n9BtHb)Capture (https://flic.kr/p/2n9BtHb) by R W (https://www.flickr.com/photos/191750946@N04/), on Flickr

Terrapin
03-20-2022, 09:22 AM
Ok, so for the folks that like where we are, and think we can contend in the division, if we go 5-12, will you finally lay some blame at Tomlin's feet?

Ernie
03-20-2022, 09:24 AM
Ok, so for the folks that like where we are, and think we can contend in the division, if we go 5-12, will you finally lay some blame at Tomlin's feet?

If we go 5-12.. given the overall talent on the roster.. absolutely.

Ernie
03-20-2022, 09:27 AM
I'm calling it now.. if we get Tuitt back (and Tyson A to throw in the mix) and draft a stud DL early... our defense will be good enough to give us a shot every week.. I think we have the potential of being top 5-8 in run defense.

Captain Lemming
03-20-2022, 10:08 AM

For those of us (you and I) who see the REALITY that we have one of the worst QBs in the league will you give us time to rebuild because you KNOW the expectation that we will be contend next year is ridiculous.

The immediate desire to blame Tomlin for any struggles with a team YOU ADMIT YOU KNOW is rebuilding and not ready to compete just because some here with rose colored glasses don't see reality says alot about your opposition to Tomlin.

Steelerphile
03-20-2022, 10:22 AM
Only problem with this theory is it doesn't really sync with what Canada is known for on offense.
But who knows, maybe he'll tailor his offense to the players he's got.

I don't think we know what Canada will do, because I think we have seen basically Ben's offense and not Canada's offense. It's been one season but I have
the feeling he likes misdirection, player movement including the QB. but this season will be more revealing about what Canada's offense really is than last season.

Steelerphile
03-20-2022, 10:27 AM

They've never gone 5-12 in 16 seasons and I know you have been dying for that to happen. I think this roster will be competitive and they haven't had the draft yet. If I thought anyone would pay up, I would bet right now they will have a winning season. But yes if they go 5-12, I will blame Tomlin so the Tomlin haters can be happy and continue their quest to have him fired.

feltdizz
03-20-2022, 10:28 AM

lmao. Tomlin has received blame after 12 win seasons so of course he will receive blame after a 5 win season.

However, it sounds hilarious to demand blame if we FINALLY have a losing season.

We just lost our HOFer and you are chomping at the bit in March.

feltdizz
03-20-2022, 10:29 AM
They've never gone 5-12 in 16 seasons and I know you have been dying for that to happen. I think this roster will be competitive and they haven't had the draft yet. If I thought anyone would pay up, I would bet right now they will have a winning season. But yes if they go 5-12, I will blame Tomlin so the Tomlin haters can be happy and continue their quest to have him fired.

its weird how bad some people want this losing season.

They really think its going to be the end of Tomlin if we finally had a down year.

Terrapin
03-20-2022, 10:36 AM

They really think its going to be the end of Tomlin if we finally had a down year.

Nope. Nothing will ever be the end of Tomlin. Regardless of how many humiliating meltdowns his teams suffer on an annual basis, Teflon Tomlin will have his balls washed by all of you

For years I"ve read on here how Ben was the reason we haven't won in the playoffs. Either due to his poor play, or his big contract. Well now Ben's gone, as is his contract. Tomlin and Canada have their man. There are no more excuses for Mikey

NorthCoast
03-20-2022, 10:36 AM

Tomlin's signed thru 2024 so it really doesn't matter.
That's also the year when a bunch of FA contracts expire. Interesting.

Terrapin
03-20-2022, 10:37 AM

And yes, I'd much rather have a 4-13 season and get a top 5 pick than toil in mediocrity for the next decade (like the last decade)

Shawn
03-20-2022, 03:08 PM
We are laying the foundation in this coming draft for 2023 and beyond. It’s painful to some but you gotta look at the big picture. I take comfort in the big picture. I do as well. In a tough AFC North I think we are still a 10 win team as is. The big question mark is Trubisky.

Oviedo
03-20-2022, 03:16 PM
I do as well. In a tough AFC North I think we are still a 10 win team as is. The big question mark is Trubisky.

Agree...Trubisky will be solid

NorthCoast
03-20-2022, 04:20 PM
I do as well. In a tough AFC North I think we are still a 10 win team as is. The big question mark is Trubisky.It's unclear how much damage has been done to Trubisky's psyche after his stint in CHI. Confidence can be a fragile thing when you're just starting out in the pros. And I can't say I have a whole lot more confidence in Canada at this point (and that's coming from a guy that liked his signing).

Northern_Blitz
03-20-2022, 04:48 PM

I like where we are but don't think we'll contend for the division.

I think the goal this year should be to get as close as we can to a team that's only a QB away.

And it seems like we're doing that.

Maybe MT turns it around and ends up being average to above average. Then maybe we can do something this year. But I dont think that should be the goal.

I want us to be ready and able to land a good QB (hopefully a draft pick) next season.

What is it that you think we should be tying to do this year?

When we get to the offseason, maybe I'll remember to post an expectations thread. I think that would be interesting because this is such a different year for us.

SS Laser
03-21-2022, 01:03 AM

I think the goal this year should be to get as close as we can to a team that's only a QB away.

Maybe MT turns it around and ends up being average to above average. Then maybe we can do something this year. But I dont think that should be the goal.

I want us to be ready and able to land a good QB (hopefully a draft pick) next season.

What is it that you think we should be tying to do this year?

When we get to the offseason, maybe I'll remember to post an expectations thread. I think that would be interesting because this is such a different year for us.

I have little faith in draft picks, why I think tanking is stupid. So one of this drafts QB’s could end up good to great. Or just mediocre average QB’s. I look at the Colts who thought they had there guy after Payton. How that workout? Ben almost derailed his career with motorcycle accident and running around after women.
We could see many years without that SB QB. Or find the guy in FA or draft.
There trying as I see it and trying to stay competitive like the other players deserve. Need to be competitive also to get FA guys unless you over pay everyone then the cap bites you at some point.
So many teams are looking for the next great QB. It’s a hard road to say the least. But I like the direction headed so far.

Steel Maniac
03-21-2022, 01:08 AM
It's unclear how much damage has been done to Trubisky's psyche after his stint in CHI. Confidence can be a fragile thing when you're just starting out in the pros. And I can't say I have a whole lot more confidence in Canada at this point (and that's coming from a guy that liked his signing).

And that's why I said we have to not be overly hyped about this coming season. It's too early for me to say if we are a ten win team or not. Gotta wait until after the draft and the second wave of free agency.

Steel Maniac
03-21-2022, 01:10 AM

This is where I'm at. Just plug all the major holes this year and be ready to get our QB of the future in next years draft.

hawaiiansteel
03-21-2022, 01:39 AM
It's too early for me to say if we are a ten win team or not. Gotta wait until after the draft and the second wave of free agency.

it's okay, we realize all your predictions are "time based."

lmao....

Northern_Blitz
03-21-2022, 05:58 AM
I have little faith in draft picks, why I think tanking is stupid. So one of this drafts QB’s could end up good to great. Or just mediocre average QB’s. I look at the Colts who thought they had there guy after Payton. How that workout? Ben almost derailed his career with motorcycle accident and running around after women.
We could see many years without that SB QB. Or find the guy in FA or draft.
There trying as I see it and trying to stay competitive like the other players deserve. Need to be competitive also to get FA guys unless you over pay everyone then the cap bites you at some point.
So many teams are looking for the next great QB. It’s a hard road to say the least. But I like the direction headed so far.

I agree that it's hard no matter what road you take to find a QB.

I just think the potential reward of an avg to above avg QB on a rookie deal is so big you have to try.

I hope Mitch works out and we don't have to roll the dice.

Jooser
03-21-2022, 08:37 AM

or not........

Preach it Brother! I agree, I think that it's a fad, and when many see how quickly these "mobile" QB's break down over time, the fad will change directions. These guys are a flash in the pan to some degree, they are young and mobile, but their bodies can't take the consistent beating that the NFL dishes out for too long.

feltdizz
03-21-2022, 11:05 AM
This is where I'm at. Just plug all the major holes this year and be ready to get our QB of the future in next years draft.

who would you get next year at QB?

This is the magic question that no one has an answer for when it comes to QB’s in 2023.

Unless you think the BC quarterback is the next Ben (I don’t) I want to know who is that QB that is so much better than what could be available at 20 this year.

This isn’t a trick question, just wondering who people are realistically targeting in 2023

hawaiiansteel
03-28-2022, 03:44 AM
2022 NFL Free Agent Team Grades

Pittsburgh Steelers: B

Acquired: QB Mitchell Trubisky, WR Gunner Olszewski, G James Daniels, C Mason Cole, LB Myles Jack, CB Levi Wallace.
Lost: QB Ben Roethlisberger, WR JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR James Washington, TE Eric Ebron, G Trai Turner, LB Joe Schobert, CB Joe Haden, S Terrell Edmunds.

The Steelers had one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL last year, so they had to find numerous upgrades this spring. The problem was that they also had to replace the retired Ben Roethlisberger at the same time. Thus, Pittsburgh was expected to be busy in free agency.

Roethlisberger's replacement for the short term will be Mitchell Trubisky, who has some upside. He's expected to be an insurance policy for whichever quarterback the Steelers obtain in the 2022 NFL Draft. Blocking for Trubisky will primarily be James Daniels, who was an outstanding signing. Mason Cole was also added, but he's far less exciting than Daniels.

I'd say the Steelers have enjoyed a solid offseason overall. I wish they had added one more blocker in free agency, but they did a good job for the most part.

https://walterfootball.com/freeagents2022gradesteams.php