PDA

View Full Version : OT: John Clayton has passed

SteelBucks
03-18-2022, 09:50 PM
I don’t have a link but I see a lot of Steelers writers paying their respects to Pittsburgh’s own. Mad props to Clayton’s work through the years. I’m shocked!

Prayers to his family. RIP.

Starlifter
03-18-2022, 09:52 PM
liked his reporting. His sportscenter ad was a top 10 submission......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvXRaSvxmqg

Chucktownsteeler
03-18-2022, 09:56 PM
Sad to hear. Loved his spoof clip when he was a heavy metal rock-n-roller.

RIP, John. Class act.

T.Ferguson
03-18-2022, 10:18 PM
Whaaaa?? That's crazy. Him and Salisbury arguing on ESPN was the best.

SteelBucks
03-18-2022, 10:20 PM
https://twitter.com/steelers/status/1505005763747631104?s=21

Terrapin
03-18-2022, 10:25 PM
Sucks. He was always entertaining

feltdizz
03-18-2022, 11:02 PM
One of my favorites..

Iron City Inc.
03-19-2022, 05:46 AM
Definitely a favorite. RIP.

flippy
03-19-2022, 06:38 AM
I don’t have a link but I see a lot of Steelers writers paying their respects to Pittsburgh’s own. Mad props to Clayton’s work through the years. I’m shocked!

Prayers to his family. RIP.

Sad to hear and he was relatively young in his 60s.

I remember he wasn’t so well liked in Pittsburgh years ago. He cost us a 3rd round draft pick for alerting the league that our team was practicing in pads when they weren’t supposed to during the offseason.

Clayton was a spy and universally hated in Pittsburgh. Not sure what he did to eventually get back in the city’s good graces.

I also remember that pick we lost was right before where Joe Montana got selected. Imagine if we could have selected Montana as Bradshaw’s successor????

Thats who some think John Clayton cost us.

Any way I was little then and I remember Clayton as more entertaining over the years. RIP

Chucktownsteeler
03-19-2022, 08:32 PM

I remember he wasn’t so well liked in Pittsburgh years ago. He cost us a 3rd round draft pick for alerting the league that our team was practicing in pads when they weren’t supposed to during the offseason.

Clayton was a spy and universally hated in Pittsburgh. Not sure what he did to eventually get back in the city’s good graces.

I also remember that pick we lost was right before where Joe Montana got selected. Imagine if we could have selected Montana as Bradshaw’s successor????

Any way I was little then and I remember Clayton as more entertaining over the years. RIP

If the Steelers were cheating and got caught that’s on them. They paid a hefty price if this rumor is true.

SteelBucks
03-19-2022, 08:36 PM

Saying Clayton was a spy is off base. He worked for the Pittsburgh Post. It was responsible journalism.

Flasteel
03-19-2022, 10:41 PM
Clayton is also one of you yinzers. A guy I used to coach with went to high school with him somewhere in the Pittsburgh area. He said his name back then was "Chick" because he looked like a chicken. Also said he was a good guy.

I met Clayton at a Super Bowl party in 2001 and he was just the most down to Earth guy. I was a peon local radio host and he was on top of the football world at the time - yet he hung out with me talking Steeler football and the NFL for probably close to an hour. Came on my show several times after that too.

Sorry to hear you are gone brother but it was good to raise one up with you!

flippy
03-20-2022, 06:28 AM
Saying Clayton was a spy is off base. He worked for the Pittsburgh Post. It was responsible journalism.

I think it was Chuck Noll that called him a spy.

Could you imagine if one of the local beat writers today put out a story that cost us a 3rd round pick in the upcoming draft? In todays world, no one would ever let that go.

SteelBucks
03-20-2022, 01:43 PM
I think it was Chuck Noll that called him a spy.

Could you imagine if one of the local beat writers today put out a story that cost us a 3rd round pick in the upcoming draft? In todays world, no one would ever let that go.

Break the rules, live with the consequences.

Terrapin
03-20-2022, 01:48 PM

You mean he wasn't a yes-man lackey like most of our media are now? Ed Bouchete was on the Fan the other day babbling about how great the Steelers have been the past few years and we shouldn't judge their success based on playoff wins and super bowls. I about puked