PDA

View Full Version : Dionte johnson $$$

JIMBO
03-18-2022, 12:01 AM
Outrageous money for wideouts! I wouldn't be surprised if DJ goes for the moon in 2023. Does this change our early round strategy for this draft. DL first round or maybe not??

NJ-STEELER
03-18-2022, 02:55 AM
Outrageous money for wideouts! I wouldn't be surprised if DJ goes for the moon in 2023. Does this change our early round strategy for this draft. DL first round or maybe not??

mid juju isn’t resigned there is a serious need at WR.
man’s DJ is looking for a big payday
I get that we’ll be a run oriented team, but they’ll need someone to throw the ball to.

I don’t want to see Najee running against 8, 8+man fronts constantly.
that's a recipe for failure

Ernie
03-18-2022, 04:59 AM
Need to resign Juju and draft a WR in the 3rd, 4th... and roll with those two and CC and Washington. We will be fine.

JTP53609
03-18-2022, 07:38 AM
We have been so spoiled with wide receivers over the years that I just don’t see it with Johnson, I know his stats reflect him being a top 10 nfl receiver but I’m just not wowed by him. They need to work their Steeler receiver magic and draft a gem. 20 million for him is outrageous and that’s what he will get.

steeler_george
03-18-2022, 07:51 AM
I really wonder, would this be a smart move...
trade DJ now for a 2nd or 3rd, would the Packers be interested in him, draft 2 WR and sign a cheap FA WR/KR/PR.

I want to keep him, but it might be best long term interest for future cap.

Ernie
03-18-2022, 08:34 AM
trade DJ now for a 2nd or 3rd, would the Packers be interested in him, draft 2 WR and sign a cheap FA WR/KR/PR.

I'd absolutely trade him for an early pick

Northern_Blitz
03-18-2022, 09:10 AM

I would have been more on board with this idea a week ago.

But I'm starting to think that if the line is much better, the D stays mostly healthy, and the QB play is average we might be able to win a playoff game with this group.

It will be tough sledding in the division though. And the AFCW will be competing for wild card spots too.

Flasteel
03-18-2022, 09:21 AM
My only concern with DJ are the drops. They came back down the stretch, after he led the league the previous year. However, he did show significant improvement and kept doing his little tennis ball drill all year, so hopefully it is a problem he's got a grip on.

I say pay him. He's one of the best route-runners in the league and is like 7-11 - always open.

Chucktownsteeler
03-18-2022, 09:23 AM
I don't see DJ worth that kind of money. Good receiver? Yes. Game changer? No.

They'll be plenty of WRs in this draft to choose from.

feltdizz
03-18-2022, 09:27 AM
DJ’s production doesn’t warrant a huge contract from us. Let someone else overpay for him.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-18-2022, 09:47 AM
Need to resign Juju and draft a WR in the 3rd, 4th... and roll with those two and CC and Washington. We will be fine.
Yup... There are a LOT of midround smallish WR who are decent return guys, so replacing RayRay should be easy.

and JuJu's price keeps coming down the longer he's on the market.

This is all playing out pretty good for us

SteelerOfDeVille
03-18-2022, 11:20 AM
I think DJ's worth $15mil per... That's less that the money Mike Wallace turned down a decade ago, but still drops him in the top 20 paid WR...

4 years, $60mil... that's fair

Steel Maniac
03-18-2022, 01:02 PM
I think DJ's worth $15mil per... That's less that the money Mike Wallace turned down a decade ago, but still drops him in the top 20 paid WR...

You might be right but the way he was dropping passes again at the end of the year really has me sour on him.

Ghost
03-18-2022, 01:36 PM
Ray-Ray is gone. Took a 2 year deal with the 49ers and could reach up to $10.4 M. Glad they didn't match it.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-18-2022, 01:37 PM
You might be right but the way he was dropping passes again at the end of the year really has me sour on him.
What I'd like to see is him to be paid as a lower half of the #1s and the team continue to search for a #1. If you sign on as low-end 1 today, you'll have Diontae making GOOD #2 money in a season or two... I think that's about right considering his occasional drops.

Northern_Blitz
03-18-2022, 02:06 PM
What I'd like to see is him to be paid as a lower half of the #1s and the team continue to search for a #1. If you sign on as low-end 1 today, you'll have Diontae making GOOD #2 money in a season or two... I think that's about right considering his occasional drops.

I wonder what "lower end of #1 / higher end #2" contracts look like if you take away all the guys on rookie deals and account for cap inflation.

I think that's where the $18M / year number kind of came from.

BURGH86STEEL
03-18-2022, 02:36 PM
I don't know DJ 's value as a player.

What I do know is that he is a baller that ranks highly because of his production and his overall skill set. He's still a young player in the NFL. That suggests he has room to improve as a player. Asa a reasuk:mad:, g

Northern_Blitz
03-18-2022, 03:23 PM
I don't know DJ 's value as a player.

What I do know is that he is a baller that ranks highly because of his production and his overall skill set. He's still a young player in the NFL. That suggests he has room to improve as a player. Asa a reasuk:mad:, g

I always like guys who's best skillset is "great route runner".

I hope we can keep him. But the WR contracts just keep getting crazier...and it seems like there's always great options in the draft.

Joel Buchsbaum
03-18-2022, 07:54 PM
I don't see DJ worth that kind of money. Good receiver? Yes. Game changer? No.

They'll be plenty of WRs in this draft to choose from.

Wr could be the pick now that we Ju-Ju and Washington are gone

NorthCoast
04-21-2022, 07:00 AM
DJ speaks....er, tweets, on rumors;

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52019893080_d61e66dfbd_w.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2nfPxSh)Capture (https://flic.kr/p/2nfPxSh) by R W (https://www.flickr.com/photos/191750946@N04/), on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52018335467_6cd74db178.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2nfFyQT)Capture1 (https://flic.kr/p/2nfFyQT) by R W (https://www.flickr.com/photos/191750946@N04/), on Flickr

WindyCitySteel
04-21-2022, 07:42 AM
I always like guys who's best skillset is "great route runner".

I hope we can keep him. But the WR contracts just keep getting crazier...and it seems like there's always great options in the draft.

Gonna be pissed if the Steelers pass on Olave at 1.20 because he's a better DJ, ceiling of Marv Harrison (same size, great route runner, great sideline awareness, hands, blazing speed).

Oviedo
04-21-2022, 07:50 AM

That would actually be a fir contract. Sweeten the pot with a little more guaranteed than normal

WindyCitySteel
04-21-2022, 07:52 AM

Sounds fair to us, but DJ and his agent would piss on that after the market reset. Prepare for a holdout.

Ernie
04-21-2022, 07:53 AM
Sounds fair to us, but DJ and his agent would piss on that after the market reset. Prepare for a holdout.

Another year.. another "Diva" holdout..

flippy
04-21-2022, 08:12 AM
Another year.. another "Diva" holdout..

In fairness, if I was DJ, I'd holdout and get my money now.

Who knows how good Mitch and this O will be? And even if it is good, what if Mitch and DJ don't click. Or what if the Steelers draft a #1 WR who blows up. Or what if CC breaks out with Mitch.

DJ got to watch Juju front and center go thru a changing offense and decling QB that tanked his prospects. Juju went from Pro Bowler to a dime a dozen WR that no one had any real interest in.

Legit, DJ could tank this season. It's a big unknown and a big risk to him.

Northern_Blitz
04-21-2022, 10:39 AM

Yep. Probably more like $18+ per.

Doesn't mean that can or should offer it. But his market value is probably in that range. At least for "new" years.*

5th in catches
10th in yards
16th in TDs

He'll get a big contract. Either as an extension with us, or as a new contract after if we let him walk.

* Aside:

Let's say he signs a 4 year extension with $18M per new year. Since he's still under contract for this year, the new deal is 5 years, but we aren't paying him more for next year.

So the total of the entire deal is ($3+4*$18 = $75M. It seems like most of the people that talk about contracts would say he signed a 4 year extension worth $72M ($18M AAV). But it's also kind of a $75M deal for 5 years ($15M AAV).

If it was a 3 year extension, adding the current year to the deal would make the AAV look even lower.

I wonder if this is why sometimes people are calling for numbers that are much lower than the apparent market value of a player. But it might just be that we all think that contracts in the NFL are crazy...particularly when there's a big jump in numbers like we've seen in WR contracts this season.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-21-2022, 11:12 AM
But it might just be that we all think that contracts in the NFL are crazy...particularly when there's a big jump in numbers like we've seen in WR contracts this season.

NFL contracts are funny when announced, and often it depends on which side announces the contract that determines how crazy it sounds. The agent will often include all incentives in the deal total such as 4 years deal worth up to $80M to make it sound like he got his client a bigger deal than it really is.

Another thing that I keep hearing is on a deal like the Chuks deal - 3 years, $30M as if the Steelers have locked up one tackle spot for the next three years so no need to draft a tackle. That deal can easily become a one year, $10M contract. He was not ridiculously paid (43rd OL based on avg contract) and there is wiggle room in case they upgrade. They are definitely not locked in.

D Rock
04-21-2022, 11:25 AM
I want to see what DJ does this year with a new QB before deciding if he should be paid or not. As others have mentioned, he is good, and always gets open, but he is not a game breaker. If he develops into one this year with a new QB, great. If he struggles with a new QB, then we know that answer as well.

I hope his market value wont change much between this year and next because the top has already been reset, and he doesn't belong up there.

If he increases his catch percentage from 63% up to about 70% where the elite guys are...and if he increases his yards/catch above 11 with a stronger armed QB....then pay the man.

Northern_Blitz
04-21-2022, 11:43 AM
NFL contracts are funny when announced, and often it depends on which side announces the contract that determines how crazy it sounds. The agent will often include all incentives in the deal total such as 4 years deal worth up to $80M to make it sound like he got his client a bigger deal than it really is.

Another thing that I keep hearing is on a deal like the Chuks deal - 3 years, $30M as if the Steelers have locked up one tackle spot for the next three years so no need to draft a tackle. That deal can easily become a one year, $10M contract. He was not ridiculously paid (43rd OL based on avg contract) and there is wiggle room in case they upgrade. They are definitely not locked in.

100% agree.

Structure is very important.

I can't remember where I heard this, but apparently so many of the announcements for the contracts are leaked by the agents to try to drum up business. So they shine the most positive light possible on the contract.

I agree that Chucks contract is a good example.

Joel Buchsbaum
04-21-2022, 01:31 PM

Doesn't mean that can or should offer it. But his market value is probably in that range. At least for "new" years.*

5th in catches
10th in yards
16th in TDs

He'll get a big contract. Either as an extension with us, or as a new contract after if we let him walk.

* Aside:

Let's say he signs a 4 year extension with $18M per new year. Since he's still under contract for this year, the new deal is 5 years, but we aren't paying him more for next year.

So the total of the entire deal is ($3+4*$18 = $75M. It seems like most of the people that talk about contracts would say he signed a 4 year extension worth $72M ($18M AAV). But it's also kind of a $75M deal for 5 years ($15M AAV).

If it was a 3 year extension, adding the current year to the deal would make the AAV look even lower.

I wonder if this is why sometimes people are calling for numbers that are much lower than the apparent market value of a player. But it might just be that we all think that contracts in the NFL are crazy...particularly when there's a big jump in numbers like we've seen in WR contracts this season.

Yes, but I think our offense last year led to DJ getting an abundance of short passes for Johnson, who took those short passes and did not get as many 1st downs as he should because he lacks the physicality / is easily tackled, and lacks the speed for mid-range to deep plays. That is not worth 80 million or whatever amount he's seeking.

He'd fit better on another team than the Steelers. I hope we can trade him for value. A first would be nice. Any trade, including a second, would be nice. We'd save 80 plus million on the cap just by sending him elsewhere. We always find receivers in the second or third round! By letting him walk we'd get a 3rd round comp pick at best.

NorthCoast
04-21-2022, 01:44 PM

5th in catches
10th in yards
16th in TDs

* Aside:

I wonder if this is why sometimes people are calling for numbers that are much lower than the apparent market value of a player. But it might just be that we all think that contracts in the NFL are crazy...particularly when there's a big jump in numbers like we've seen in WR contracts this season.I can't see him 2nd in targets again this season. I expect he will see the ball a lot less, especially if we draft a WR.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-21-2022, 01:45 PM

5th in catches
10th in yards
16th in TDs

* Aside:

Honestly, seeing the contracts that have been signed in the past month since this thread started, I'd give him $18 per and lock him in for 5 years. Again, before this deal is up, it would be #2 money..

Oviedo
04-21-2022, 02:47 PM
Honestly, seeing the contracts that have been signed in the past month since this thread started, I'd give him $18 per and lock him in for 5 years. Again, before this deal is up, it would be #2 money..

The longer you wait, the more you take a chance that the market will continue to be stupid. Work to sign him this year. If Claypool starts to surpass DJ then trade DJ. In a year or two his deal will be a bargain.

Northern_Blitz
04-21-2022, 03:10 PM
I can't see him 2nd in targets again this season. I expect he will see the ball a lot less, especially if we draft a WR.

I bet he'll have less targets, but the targets he gets will have more air yards.

He gets open, so I think he'll still lead the team in targets.

And I think teams will still crowd the box on us until we show we can pass intermediate or deep.

Northern_Blitz
04-21-2022, 03:11 PM

I agree.

18m might already be in the rear view

SteelerOfDeVille
04-21-2022, 04:10 PM
I honestly think the problem is this: People have what they believe to be a generational talent and they lock that guy up, long-term on a HUGE deal, but for what they think will be a bargain by the end - Patrick Mahomes is a great example. 12 years, $500 mil, averaging $45 mil per.

Other teams give in to the pressure and make bad decisions. Guys like Goff, Cousins and Wentz have salaries rise into the $30's. Guys like Josh Allen and Dak Prescott rise into the $40's.

Realistically, if Mahomes set the bar, the only other guys that are even in that league are Brady and Rodgers. That bar is both a function of talent AND results.

At each position, at some point, you get a true generational talent (Adrian Peterson) and the next person is just "really good" (Lesean McCoy) and the bottom falls out..

There's presently a race betwen QB and WR to see which position it happens to first. My money's on it happening to WR first