PDA

View Full Version : Jordan Davis

Flasteel
03-17-2022, 09:30 AM
I've liked the big guy all along but following the Steelers' free agency bonanza, I'm thinking Davis now becomes the Steelers top target. However, I see a lot of mocks pegging him to the Chargers at 17. Would anyone here be willing to trade up a few spots to get him?

Chucktownsteeler
03-17-2022, 09:33 AM
Well it is beginning to look like DL may be the pick, one reason the age of Cam, Alualu, and Tuiit (if he returns). This draft is heavy on defense, I'm not sure if I'd move up or not. I seem "flippy" on this.

WindyCitySteel
03-17-2022, 09:47 AM
Bush and Jack will both need to be kept spotless to succeed, so I think this is a real possibility. Hope we don't have to trade up, if we do he'd better be a 3-down player.

SteelBucks
03-17-2022, 10:04 AM
They won’t move up to grab him. They got other needs that they can fill at #20 if he’s gone. If anything, I’d consider trading down to get more picks. It’s a deep draft on defense and WR.

feltdizz
03-17-2022, 10:12 AM
They won’t move up to grab him. They got other needs that they can fill at #20 if he’s gone. If anything, I’d consider trading down to get more picks. It’s a deep draft on defense and WR.

I seriously doubt we trade down in the 1st but anything is possible.

SteelBucks
03-17-2022, 10:21 AM

They never trade down in the first round. I can’t recall if they’ve ever done it.

Northern_Blitz
03-17-2022, 10:44 AM
I hope we don't trade up for anyone.

Oviedo
03-17-2022, 10:45 AM
My first choice from Day 1 but I think his combine performance put him in the Top 10 out of our reach.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-17-2022, 11:09 AM
My first choice from Day 1 but I think his combine performance put him in the Top 10 out of our reach.
Same... I've been wanting another Hampton since... Hampton. LOL

SteelerOfDeVille
03-17-2022, 11:16 AM
I hope we don't trade up for anyone.
agreed... and i just don't see it happening - well, with one exception -- i think they like Willis enough that he fell beyond 15 or so, they might start looking for partners

DrCalculus
03-17-2022, 11:21 AM
They never trade down in the first round. I can’t recall if they’ve ever done it.

Under Colbert, the only trade down was from 16 to 19 (Jets) to take NT Casey Hampton. They picked up a 4th and a 6th, IIRC.

Northern_Blitz
03-17-2022, 11:28 AM
I think our biggest remaining needs are:

SS <- no starter...but haven't heard any news about Edmunds so hope that means he doesn't have a huge market.
CB <- two Ok starters, would be nice to have a really good cost controlled guy. Will be a need next year with Sutton voiding after this season

But if we can bring Edmunds (or something similar) in from UFA, then I think we're kind of free to let the board come to us. Which is always what Colbert wants to do in theory (even though they do end up reaching sometimes).

SteelBucks
03-17-2022, 11:49 AM
Under Colbert, the only trade down was from 16 to 19 (Jets) to take NT Casey Hampton. They picked up a 4th and a 6th, IIRC.

Thanks. I was thinking maybe the Hampton draft but wasn’t sure.

Flasteel
03-17-2022, 11:52 AM
Bush and Jack will both need to be kept spotless to succeed, so I think this is a real possibility. Hope we don't have to trade up, if we do he'd better be a 3-down player.

This is my thought exactly. We need to keep our inside backers as clean as possible. Provided there's no attrition along the DL like last year, and the Steelers could go from worst against the run to one of the best. Outside of a franchise QB, I see no other position...or player that could have a more transformational impact at this point.

Monalo
03-17-2022, 12:44 PM
I've liked the big guy all along but following the Steelers' free agency bonanza, I'm thinking Davis now becomes the Steelers top target. However, I see a lot of mocks pegging him to the Chargers at 17. Would anyone here be willing to trade up a few spots to get him?

The Chargers signed Sebastian Joseph-Day and looking at other teams needs, he may just fall to us at 20 (not likely but possible).
If he does, that would definitely be my pick.

Steel Maniac
03-17-2022, 12:48 PM
Same... I've been wanting another Hampton since... Hampton. LOL

hahahahaha. Me too. I like Davis but I think he'll be gone so I think we go linebacker.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-17-2022, 04:43 PM
hahahahaha. Me too. I like Davis but I think he'll be gone so I think we go linebacker.
Given Jack's deal is only 2 years AND Bush is technically on his last year, I would say that's way up in the list of needs. Behind D-line (who all are either old, absent or have 1-2 years left). I've also seen a couple of mocks that have CB up there

Northern_Blitz
03-17-2022, 05:26 PM

We rarely trade down (Hampton?). And never out of the first. Per Alex K, hasn't happen in the Noll / Cowher / Tomlin eras.

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/03/ask-alex-steelers-mailbag-329/

Shawn
03-17-2022, 05:39 PM
Well it is beginning to look like DL may be the pick, one reason the age of Cam, Alualu, and Tuiit (if he returns). This draft is heavy on defense, I'm not sure if I'd move up or not. I seem "flippy" on this. I think the Steelers go DL and DB round 1 and 2. This draft is deep on both.

NJ-STEELER
03-17-2022, 07:41 PM
I read someone's analysis saying at georgia he seemed to try and go around/between the OL and not thru them.
perhaps that's why he came off the field on passing downs. With that size speed combo I think he will be long gone regardless

as far as our draft, I thing DL/front 7 is near the bottom of our needs. If there's a QB at 20 that they like, IMO they'll select him. the roster seems to be filled out nicely for a rookie QB contract to come in and lead us the the next few years.

if not, i think receiver gets a long look. we may not be a passing team any more, but we'll need to pass it to someone. chase regressing, DJ wanting top money and Juju a question mark at this point, its probably the weakest unit on the team

Steel Maniac
03-17-2022, 08:05 PM
Given Jack's deal is only 2 years AND Bush is technically on his last year, I would say that's way up in the list of needs. Behind D-line (who all are either old, absent or have 1-2 years left). I've also seen a couple of mocks that have CB up there

We might have taken the CB position down a peg in priority. But if a stud DB did fall to us, who could blame Colbert for not taking him? In the AFC, you're going to need all the good DB's you can get.

hawaiiansteel
03-17-2022, 08:33 PM
I think the Steelers go DL and DB round 1 and 2. This draft is deep on both.

I would think WR also, especially if we don't re-sign JuJu.

feltdizz
03-17-2022, 09:11 PM
Tomlin was quoted saying Davis is going to be hugging Goodell way before the Steelers pick

Buzz
03-17-2022, 09:24 PM
Tomlin was quoted saying Davis is going to be hugging Goodell way before the Steelers pick

You never know

He'd be an awesome selection at #20

Steel Maniac
03-17-2022, 09:30 PM
Wev'e got at least 3 excellent directions we can go in with our first round pick.

hawaiiansteel
03-17-2022, 11:21 PM
You never know

it would be interesting to see what happens if he were somehow still available when our turn came up.

feltdizz
03-18-2022, 09:51 AM
You never know

oh, if he is there I think we take him.

But that 40 time, his size and playing on a National Championship team that was known for their D will make it hard for him to last to 20.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-18-2022, 09:52 AM
We might have taken the CB position down a peg in priority. But if a stud DB did fall to us, who could blame Colbert for not taking him? In the AFC, you're going to need all the good DB's you can get.
I still think Haden is gone, so Witherspoon and Sutton are the only 2 i trust - and not a whole lotta trust there. So, while it's a lower priority, like you said if a stud fell........

If Booth is on the board at 20 (which seems to be the common projection these days) you have to consider him - there are solid d-linemen in the 2nd.

feltdizz
03-18-2022, 09:52 AM
it would be interesting to see what happens if he were somehow still available when our turn came up.

I think you would see us run to the podium like this

https://media1.giphy.com/media/9rRacglGbs68E/giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9524fbb1cd00e929730d11c1eaafef 9ff7c3e0c2ba0&rid=giphy.webp&ct=g

Northern_Blitz
03-18-2022, 11:20 AM
I think you would see us run to the podium like this

https://media1.giphy.com/media/9rRacglGbs68E/giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9524fbb1cd00e929730d11c1eaafef 9ff7c3e0c2ba0&rid=giphy.webp&ct=g

A draft pick is like a box of chocolates.

Oviedo
03-18-2022, 11:44 AM
Wev'e got at least 3 excellent directions we can go in with our first round pick.

I actually count 6:

1. Defensive Line...my preference
2. Wide Receiver
3. Inside LB or Edge
4. Cornerback
5. Safety
6. offensive Line

Of that list, I think Off Line is the least likely because of free agent signings

If JuJu doesn't come back, I think the odd for WR go up significantly

I think signing Wallace and Witherspoon lessen the chance we take a CB in Round 1 which given our luck is good

If Edmunds comes back, take Safety off the list

Steel Maniac
03-18-2022, 01:00 PM
I actually count 6:

2. Wide Receiver
3. Inside LB or Edge
4. Cornerback
5. Safety
6. offensive Line

Of that list, I think Off Line is the least likely because of free agent signings

I think signing Wallace and Witherspoon lessen the chance we take a CB in Round 1 which given our luck is good

I'd take safety off that list of first round options; Only because we have other red alert areas where our pick would be more maximized if used in those areas. But I can definitely see why you have WR on that list (if a guy who wasn't suppose to be there, fell to us at # 20)

SteelerOfDeVille
03-18-2022, 01:52 PM
I actually count 6:

2. Wide Receiver
3. Inside LB or Edge
4. Cornerback
5. Safety
6. offensive Line

I wouldn't take OT off the list, but G/C can be removed for sure.

Northern_Blitz
03-18-2022, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't take OT off the list, but G/C can be removed for sure.

I think this is more or less true.

But if a C or G is the best guy on the board, I think we could still make that play.

I think we're in a good position to just see who falls. Lots of options for needs. Especially if we get SS filled through UFA. I think it's the only place now where we don't have a starter in at least pencil...WR3 too I guess.

whisper
03-18-2022, 02:33 PM
I read someone's analysis saying at georgia he seemed to try and go around/between the OL and not thru them.
perhaps that's why he came off the field on passing downs. With that size speed combo I think he will be long gone regardless

as far as our draft, I thing DL/front 7 is near the bottom of our needs. If there's a QB at 20 that they like, IMO they'll select him. the roster seems to be filled out nicely for a rookie QB contract to come in and lead us the the next few years.

if not, i think receiver gets a long look. we may not be a passing team any more, but we'll need to pass it to someone. chase regressing, DJ wanting top money and Juju a question mark at this point, its probably the weakest unit on the team

There are a few things that bother me about Davis. One, the all his physical skills and size, why hasn't he produced more? I know NT isn't supposed to be a stat generator, as they usually clog things up for others to make the plays, but there is something fishy with his lack of plays. How hot does his motor run?

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jordan-davis/32004441-5648-7265-ac02-99b487d4f3e4

Weaknesses
Occasional leverage issues due to his height.
Can be a little straight-legged into lateral engagement.
Below-average first-step quickness.
Lacks knee bend to roll downhill with bull rush.
Change of direction is not a thing for him.
Can't disengage and tackle suddenly.
Redirected due to lack of bend in his rush.

SteelerMaine83
03-18-2022, 02:50 PM
There are a few things that bother me about Davis. One, the all his physical skills and size, why hasn't he produced more? I know NT isn't supposed to be a stat generator, as they usually clog things up for others to make the plays, but there is something fishy with his lack of plays. How hot does his motor run?

Yeah, I have the same concerns for a first round pick that will at best only see less than 50% of the snaps because of the position he plays. His tape and some reviews show some faults.

Many people forget about Travis Jones, the second best NT prospect. His combine numbers were outstanding--Davis numbers were just off the charts. If we get a new NT, I'd prefer picking Jones in Round 2. He'll be a stud for those 30-50% of snaps he plays and we'll get a guy that plays 80-90% of the snaps at some position as our 1st rounder.

whisper
03-18-2022, 02:56 PM
Yeah, I have the same concerns for a first round pick that will at best only see less than 50% of the snaps because of the position he plays. His tape and some reviews show some faults.

Many people forget about Travis Jones, the second best NT prospect. His combine numbers were outstanding--Davis numbers were just off the charts. If we get a new NT, I'd prefer picking Jones in Round 2. He'll be a stud for those 30-50% of snaps he plays and we'll get a guy that plays 80-90% of the snaps at some position as our 1st rounder.

I got to agree with this.

Northern_Blitz
03-18-2022, 03:15 PM

I wonder if we won't have the opportunity to take Davis anyway.

Seems like someone could easily fall in love with those combine scores.

Oviedo
03-18-2022, 03:27 PM
I think this is more or less true.

But if a C or G is the best guy on the board, I think we could still make that play.

I think we're in a good position to just see who falls. Lots of options for needs. Especially if we get SS filled through UFA. I think it's the only place now where we don't have a starter in at least pencil...WR3 too I guess.

Top 4 Safeties (accordioning to CB):
1. K. Hamilton, ND
2. D. Hill, Mich
3. J.Brisker, PSU
4. J. Pitre, Baylor

IMO only Hamilton is a solid ist Rounder...definitely Top 10. The others are at best late Round 1 but likely gone by our Round 2 pick

feltdizz
03-18-2022, 03:56 PM

wait.. you said you know NT’s aren’t stat generators then wonder why he doesn’t have stats?

Here is a stat for you. 3 TD’s.

No, he didn’t score 3 TD’s. That is the number of rushing TD’s the UGA defense gave up in 14 games. That is insane.

and its not because their pass D sucked. Teams couldn’t run on them and they damn sure couldn’t run between the tackles.

What he does will never show up on his stat sheet.

Dude is a freak.

https://youtu.be/2uK7UdpWwiI

Shawn
03-19-2022, 06:55 AM
I would think WR also, especially if we don't re-sign JuJu. That is looking more likely now.

Northern_Blitz
03-19-2022, 07:32 AM
Top 4 Safeties (accordioning to CB):
1. K. Hamilton, ND
2. D. Hill, Mich
3. J.Brisker, PSU
4. J. Pitre, Baylor

IMO only Hamilton is a solid ist Rounder...definitely Top 10. The others are at best late Round 1 but likely gone by our Round 2 pick

Thanks Oviedo!

I don't look to much at ncaa guys so I appreciate having some insight on what's actually available.