PDA

View Full Version : Browns back to being clowns

whisper
03-16-2022, 12:54 PM
They had me fooled, for a minute.

Two years ago, when they looked like it was all coming together for Cleveland: Defense, OL, running backs, WRs and even their QB looked like he was the real deal. They destroyed us at Heinz in the playoffs. It looked like we were going to have another rare stretch of the Browns being hands down better than us, like the late 80's.

But that appears to be over, already. We beat them both times we played them last season (albeit, we weren't that good of a team either) and now they appear to be hemorrhaging. Their "franchise" QB is spiraling out-of-control. With the team making a play for Deshaun Watson, Baker is butt hurt and tweeted a farewell to the city of Cleveland. Their OL is suddenly not looking so solid, cutting some core players, as is their WR unit, having cut OBJ last year (who went on to be productive and win a SB in LA) and their only dependable WR, Landry, looking to be on his way out.

And it's looking like Watson has no desire to become a Brown, not even wanting to take a meeting with them. In short, they are a mess, once again. Most Browns fans I know are predicting a 6-win season. Just a few years ago, they looked to be a real, up-in-coming contender to win it all. Now? Horsie no lookie so good.

As long as we are better than the Browns, things aren't too bad.

feltdizz
03-16-2022, 01:05 PM
They also released a TE today.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-16-2022, 01:13 PM
If they get Watson, I'd worry...

whisper
03-16-2022, 01:28 PM
They also released a TE today.

Not just a "TE" but one of their jewel signings of two years ago, Hooper, who was the best TE in FA that year.

https://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2022/3/16/22980941/austin-hooper-released-cleveland-browns

SteelBucks
03-16-2022, 01:30 PM

Watson has to know that Cleveland is where QBs go to die.

whisper
03-16-2022, 01:30 PM

Under normal circumstances, yes, but signs of this team just imploding are too extreme. No doubt Jimmy, their owner, is back meddling.

feltdizz
03-16-2022, 01:35 PM
Not just a "TE" but one of their jewel signings of two years ago, Hooper, who was the best TE in FA that year.

https://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2022/3/16/22980941/austin-hooper-released-cleveland-browns

Thanks, I was on the go and couldn’t remember his name.

It appears they are clearing space for Watson but its weird to get rid of Landry and Hooper whole trying to convince Watson they are the best fit for him.

NorthCoast
03-16-2022, 01:39 PM
I suppose I would be a little butt hurt myself if my team I played QB for last season offered 2 first round picks, Mayfield, Ward, and Hunt plus a 5th rounder to Houston. Kinda tells you how they feel about him.

Fans are not sold on Stefanski being the answer either.

I expect Cleveland to go hard after a QB in the upcoming draft. Maybe a trade with the Jets to move up and grab Willis.

whisper
03-16-2022, 02:01 PM
I suppose I would be a little butt hurt myself if my team I played QB for last season offered 2 first round picks, Mayfield, Ward, and Hunt plus a 5th rounder to Houston. Kinda tells you how they feel about him.

I expect Cleveland to go hard after a QB in the upcoming draft. Maybe a trade with the Jets to move up and grab Willis.

Yea, if they miss on Watson, I'd fully expect them to keep trying to land a legit QB until they find one. But then, some say Cleveland kills any and all QBs' careers. It didn't kill Bernie's. It didn't appear to kill Baker's, at first. But then...something happened. Maybe Baker wasn't the QB that so many of us thought he was.

Chucktownsteeler
03-16-2022, 02:08 PM
They are going all in for Jimmy GQ.

whisper
03-16-2022, 05:11 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ex-browns-player-appears-to-mock-baker-mayfield-with-revenge-tweet-after-qb-sends-out-heartfelt-message/

And then there is this. Unlike Tom Brady, who's former teammates haven't a bad word about him, Baker doesn't seem to have his players unanimously supporting him. Here Duke Johnson takes a shot at him, tweeting an image of a train wreck with fire...following Baker's seemingly farewell tweet. I guess Duke feels the situation is a train wreck.

hackjam
03-16-2022, 05:34 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ex-browns-player-appears-to-mock-baker-mayfield-with-revenge-tweet-after-qb-sends-out-heartfelt-message/

And then there is this. Unlike Tom Brady, who's former teammates haven't a bad word about him, Baker doesn't seem to have his players unanimously supporting him. Here Duke Johnson takes a shot at him, tweeting an image of a train wreck with fire...following Baker's seemingly farewell tweet. I guess Duke feels the situation is a train wreck.

Baker said something like "you're either on the train or not" when Duke requested a trade a few years ago so that's part of it too.

Chucktownsteeler
03-16-2022, 05:41 PM
They are going all in for Jimmy GQ.

I was half-joking when I wrote this and just read they might be going in for Jimmy GQ.

NorthCoast
03-16-2022, 08:12 PM
I was half-joking when I wrote this and just read they might be going in for Jimmy GQ.In the AFCN Jimmy G won't last half a season before hitting the injury list. Frankly, glad the Steelers didn't look his way.

Chucktownsteeler
03-16-2022, 08:27 PM
In the AFCN Jimmy G won't last half a season before hitting the injury list. Frankly, glad the Steelers didn't look his way.

Me as well!

Shawn
03-17-2022, 07:32 AM

Here is the thing with Willis. I like him. But, at this stage in his career I've graded him much lower than Jackson. I was drooling over Lamar's skill set. Willis isn't as athletic, he doesn't have Jackson's whip release, and he takes way too many chances. Lets not mention the subpar competition. Willis is a crap shoot and if I'm moving up in the draft for a QB he needs to be as close to a sure thing as they get. Willis is not a sure thing by any stretch. He is a project. He will need time. So if the Browns want to release Mayfield and get Willis, I fully support it lol.

Shawn
03-17-2022, 07:48 AM
Yea, if they miss on Watson, I'd fully expect them to keep trying to land a legit QB until they find one. But then, some say Cleveland kills any and all QBs' careers. It didn't kill Bernie's. It didn't appear to kill Baker's, at first. But then...something happened. Maybe Baker wasn't the QB that so many of us thought he was. I never liked Mayfield. Several of us didn't. I had him graded as a late second high third round talent. I think he overachieved in my opinion. He's short in the QB world, I questioned his arm and decision making. Now we know he also struggles with maturity. He isn't a true leader. That chip on his shoulder will never allow him to be a backup and will turn off many teams. I think Mayfield's meltdown will likely cost him his career if released. Not immediately but down the road. He needs a mature mentor in his corner putting him on a leash. He's just not that good. He reminds me a bit of Manziel but Manziel was hands down more talented. Unfortunately for Manziel his propensity to party, get drunk and high killed what should have been an amazing career. Mayfield needs to take note. While Mayfield might not have the chemical issues he sure has the insecure egomaniac issues.

NorthCoast
03-17-2022, 07:52 AM
Here is the thing with Willis. I like him. But, at this stage in his career I've graded him much lower than Jackson. I was drooling over Lamar's skill set. Willis isn't as athletic, he doesn't have Jackson's whip release, and he takes way too many chances. Lets not mention the subpar competition. Willis is a crap shoot and if I'm moving up in the draft for a QB he needs to be as close to a sure thing as they get. Willis is not a sure thing by any stretch. He is a project. He will need time. So if the Browns want to release Mayfield and get Willis, I fully support it lol.Good points Shawn. Moving up for any of the QBs in this class seems a desperation move rather than a shrewd one.

Shawn
03-17-2022, 08:12 AM
Good points Shawn. Moving up for any of the QBs in this class seems a desperation move rather than a shrewd one. I pray we don't draft a QB. Not this year. Build the trenches and secondary. Lets wait until at least next year and build our foundation. Then maybe we can move up in the draft to grab a quality QB. Who knows, Mitch might bloom, Haskins might grow as well. We might already have our future franchise QB on the roster. I want to see what we got at home before selling the farm for an unknown.

WindyCitySteel
03-17-2022, 08:26 AM
Here is the thing with Willis. I like him. But, at this stage in his career I've graded him much lower than Jackson. I was drooling over Lamar's skill set. Willis isn't as athletic, he doesn't have Jackson's whip release, and he takes way too many chances. Lets not mention the subpar competition. Willis is a crap shoot and if I'm moving up in the draft for a QB he needs to be as close to a sure thing as they get. Willis is not a sure thing by any stretch. He is a project. He will need time. So if the Browns want to release Mayfield and get Willis, I fully support it lol.

I really don't want Willis, especially with our inexperienced and potentially incompetent offensive coaching staff. I'll give Canada a year without Ben before rendering a judgement, but there's already word he's carping about wanting Jacoby Brisset instead of Trubisky.

Want Ridder, would settle for Strong in round 2 if we get a stud in the first (Olave, J. Davis, Zion Johnson, etc.).

Chucktownsteeler
03-17-2022, 09:31 AM
I almost felt bad for Mayfield. Almost. I have never gotten over his attempt to plant the OU flag in the 'Shoe.

Most likely he ends up in Indy. Maybe Seattle but I doubt it. He can take that OU flag with him.

Northern_Blitz
03-17-2022, 10:53 AM
I really don't want Willis, especially with our inexperienced and potentially incompetent offensive coaching staff. I'll give Canada a year without Ben before rendering a judgement, but there's already word he's carping about wanting Jacoby Brisset instead of Trubisky.

Want Ridder, would settle for Strong in round 2 if we get a stud in the first (Olave, J. Davis, Zion Johnson, etc.).

Any link for that? This sounds like something that could be speculation based on the fact that we have so many of the coaches that had Brisset in college.

feltdizz
03-17-2022, 11:01 AM
I still think Cleveland is making a mistake. While Baker isn’t a star he has given them the most hope since Kozar.

Not sure why this org thinks they can magically find a franchise QB in the draft of FA if Watson doesn’t bite.

feltdizz
03-17-2022, 11:07 AM
Any link for that? This sounds like something that could be speculation based on the fact that we have so many of the coaches that had Brisset in college.

You hit the nail on the head. Brissett was at NC State when Canada was on staff so it makes for a good rumor.

I’m sure coaches “want” a lot of former players but I doubt there is any evidence Canada is carping about wanting Brissett over Trubisky.

WindyCitySteel
03-17-2022, 11:26 AM
No link as of yet, it was during a radio interview on The Fan.

WindyCitySteel
03-17-2022, 11:30 AM
I still think Cleveland is making a mistake. While Baker isn’t a star he has given them the most hope since Kozar.

Not sure why this org thinks they can magically find a franchise QB in the draft of FA if Watson doesn’t bite.

https://twitter.com/gifdsports/status/1504181715694145549?s=20&t=ywKsN79WFHK58q61ItwQ7A

Northern_Blitz
03-17-2022, 11:30 AM
You hit the nail on the head. Brissett was at NC State when Canada was on staff so it makes for a good rumor.

I’m sure coaches “want” a lot of former players but I doubt there is any evidence Canada is carping about wanting Brissett over Trubisky.

I can't really see someone saying "man am really pissed that we got Trubisky instead of Brissett".

I don't think either of them are all that good, but MT has a lot more upside IMO (even though it's a long shot).

SteelBucks
03-17-2022, 11:44 AM
So a Browns official announced they’re out of the Deshaun Watson race.

Good going Browns. Now you have a pissed off QB on your hands. IMO they will trade Baker and then trade for Jimmy G.

Chucktownsteeler
03-17-2022, 12:07 PM

Good going Browns. Now you have a pissed off QB on your hands. IMO they will trade Baker and then trade for Jimmy G.

They deal Mayfield to Indy or Seattle, go for Jimmy GQ as a bridge and draft either Willis or Ridder.

The browns is the browns.

Am I giving them too much credit?

SteelBucks
03-17-2022, 12:17 PM
They deal Mayfield to Indy or Seattle, go for Jimmy GQ as a bridge and draft either Willis or Ridder.

The browns is the browns.

Am I giving them too much credit?

Browns said Baker is still their guy. lol.

He gone…..

Chucktownsteeler
03-17-2022, 12:37 PM
http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af314/anpmtg/browns165.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Northern_Blitz
03-17-2022, 12:49 PM
http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af314/anpmtg/browns165.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.

It always makes me happy when I'm reminded that this exists.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-17-2022, 01:07 PM

Is it possible that the Browns entered the Deshaun derby to send a message to Baker instead of initiating it? Now they feel they can move on from him because he has already said goodbye. Maybe they know him well enough to know he would take it public.

whisper
03-17-2022, 01:34 PM
Is it possible that the Browns entered the Deshaun derby to send a message to Baker instead of initiating it? Now they feel they can move on from him because he has already said goodbye. Maybe they know him well enough to know he would take it public.

More drama today, it has resorted to comical, as I thought it could. Word from Cleveland is they wanted "an adult" in the QB room, and Skip Bayless thinks that came directly from the owner, Jimmy Haslam. I guess Duke Johnson's posting the image of a train wreck on fire, on Twitter, was apropos for this situation.

Watson has declined the Browns offer, so now it's just a sh-t show in Cleveland. Can they return to Baker after basically calling him a child?

Northern_Blitz
03-17-2022, 02:50 PM
More drama today, it has resorted to comical, as I thought it could. Word from Cleveland is they wanted "an adult" in the QB room, and Skip Bayless thinks that came directly from the owner, Jimmy Haslam. I guess Duke Johnson's posting the image of a train wreck on fire, on Twitter, was apropos for this situation.

Watson has declined the Browns offer, so now it's just a sh-t show in Cleveland. Can they return to Baker after basically calling him a child?

He is an adult. Has his own house and everything...
https://imgs.search.brave.com/K6w28E_RE6QNy7YIaGRih_gZK3vLLFL2XRU9J1X2Qr4/rs:fit:1200:720:1/g:ce/aHR0cHM6Ly9hYmFu/Y29tbWVyY2lhbHMu/Y29tL3VwbG9hZENv/bWVyY2lhbC8xMTkx/MzYuanBn

kindlecatsb'ng
03-17-2022, 03:08 PM
https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2022/03/browns-should-be-relieved-not-getting-watson-now-front-office-put-to-test-terry-pluto.html

feltdizz
03-17-2022, 03:09 PM

The mistake by the lake.

hawaiiansteel
03-17-2022, 03:36 PM
He is an adult. Has his own house and everything...
https://imgs.search.brave.com/K6w28E_RE6QNy7YIaGRih_gZK3vLLFL2XRU9J1X2Qr4/rs:fit:1200:720:1/g:ce/aHR0cHM6Ly9hYmFu/Y29tbWVyY2lhbHMu/Y29tL3VwbG9hZENv/bWVyY2lhbC8xMTkx/MzYuanBn

Baker is going to have to start thinking about moving his book club meetings elsewhere.

SteelBucks
03-17-2022, 03:39 PM
Looks like Baker has requested a trade per a Browns writer. Browns said they are not going to accommodate his request.

Get your popcorn ready!

Northern_Blitz
03-17-2022, 03:54 PM
Looks like Baker has requested a trade per a Browns writer. Browns said they are not going to accommodate his request.

Get your popcorn ready!

And somehow they picked one stupid game not to be the Browns....or maybe it's more like we picked one stupid game out-Browns the Browns since it's a game we clearly threw away.

crushedspirit
03-17-2022, 03:57 PM

Get your popcorn ready!

I'm starting to really believe Baker should play with a DK certified pacifier.

http://www.deardoctor.com/images/blog/metcalf-mouthguard-300.jpg

SteelBucks
03-17-2022, 04:00 PM
I'm starting to really believe Baker should play with a DK certified pacifier.

http://www.deardoctor.com/images/blog/metcalf-mouthguard-300.jpg

It’s ironic because the rumor is the Seahawks are interested in trading for Baker.

NorthCoast
03-17-2022, 04:01 PM
https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.RNXusrJdTcWMWJeT_7vJ7gHaE8&pid=Api&P=0&w=266&h=177

feltdizz
03-17-2022, 04:10 PM

Get your popcorn ready!

This is hilarious.

Does Baker really want a trade or is this a Bugs Bunny episode where he demands a trade knowing the FO will do the exact opposite of what he wants.

Baker: No
Browns: Yes
Baker: Yes
Browns: No
Baker: Okay.. see you at camp!
Browns: Damn right you will.. oh wait a minute???