PDA

View Full Version : A different Free Agency feel this year

Oviedo
03-15-2022, 12:32 PM
I love what the team is doing. Maybe because we have the money they have been aggressive starting Day 1 and going after positions we need. Loved Trubisky. Love Cole and Daniel for the OL.

Got to wonder what is next. Get Edmunds back? Get JuJu?

I think we are a better team after 36 hours of free agency

Buzz
03-15-2022, 12:34 PM
Amazing what you can do in FA if you have a little money. We're usually up so tight against the cap, we can't play much in the FA market.

brothervad
03-15-2022, 12:45 PM
What I like about it is that they are doing the same thing they always do except at a higher tier and that is build talent and depth. It's just they aren't going for the secondary market and are looking at the primary market without breaking the bank on one star name.

It's amazing what they have done so quickly...I have been a big proponent of John Clayton's law of 150 with the O-line:

"If a team lets its starting offensive line exceed the total age of 150 years for five starters, the clock is ticking on its remaining success." A cumulative age of 150 means an average age of 30 for five starters, an intuitive if arbitrary benchmark for signaling transition.

In 2020 this was the starting line:
LT Alejandro Villanueva 32
LG Matt Feiler 28
C Maurkice Pouncey* 31
RG David DeCastro* 30
RT Chukwuma Okorafor 23
Score 144

After Today 2022 (potentially):
Dan Moore 23
Kevin Dotson 25
Mason Cole 25
James Daniels 24
Chuks Okorafor 24
Score 121

That is a quick turnaround of retooling an aging line (moving from 6 years from that line to 29 years).

brothervad

Chucktownsteeler
03-15-2022, 12:51 PM
What I like about it is that they are doing the same thing they always do except at a higher tier and that is build talent and depth. It's just they aren't going for the secondary market and are looking at the primary market without breaking the bank on one star name.

It's amazing what they have done so quickly...I have been a big proponent of John Clayton's law of 150 with the O-line:

"If a team lets its starting offensive line exceed the total age of 150 years for five starters, the clock is ticking on its remaining success." A cumulative age of 150 means an average age of 30 for five starters, an intuitive if arbitrary benchmark for signaling transition.

LG Matt Feiler 28
C Maurkice Pouncey* 31
RG David DeCastro* 30
RT Chukwuma Okorafor 23
Score 144

Dan Moore 23
Kevin Dotson 25
Mason Cole 25
James Daniels 24
Chuks Okorafor 24
Score 121

That is a quick turnaround of retooling an aging line (moving from 6 years from that line to 29 years).

brothervad

And set with depth: Green, LeGlue, and JC Hasseaurer.

Well done KC! Well done.

Oviedo
03-15-2022, 01:05 PM

LG Matt Feiler 28
C Maurkice Pouncey* 31
RG David DeCastro* 30
RT Chukwuma Okorafor 23
Score 144

Dan Moore 23
Kevin Dotson 25
Mason Cole 25
James Daniels 24
Chuks Okorafor 24
Score 121

brothervad

Excellent take. Shopping earlier when the best produce is still on the shelves.

whisper
03-15-2022, 01:14 PM
https://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/33181/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-free-agent-signings-2022-miles-killebrew-returns

So far....

It seems obvious they are going for the cheap signings, which isn't a bad thing as long as the players can play. In the past, they have perhaps gone to the DVD bargain bin too much, and ended up with movie DVDs such as "Glitter" and "Striptease." Hopefully, these signings can be more like "Shawshank Redemption." Time will tell.