PDA

View Full Version : Dulac: Steelers considering Jacoby Brissett as free agent QB option

hawaiiansteel
03-11-2022, 04:43 PM
Gerry Dulac: Steelers considering Jacoby Brissett as free agent QB option

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
MAR 11, 2022

The Steelers are discussing the possibility of adding a quarterback when free agency begins next week, and among the considerations is a player who has not been mentioned among the myriad of names being tossed around.

Miami Dolphins backup quarterback Jacoby Brissett, who has started 37 games in the NFL, could be an option because of his past relationship with four current Steelers assistant coaches, including offensive coordinator Matt Canada, according to sources.

Brissett, 29, is an unrestricted free agent who started 30 games during his four seasons with the Indianapolis Colts from 2017 to 2020. He spent last season serving as a backup to Tua Tagovailoa with the Dolphins, but ended up starting five games when Tagovailoa was injured.

The Steelers’ possible interest in Brissett can be traced to his college days at North Carolina State when Canada was his offensive coordinator and two other Steelers assistants – running backs coach Eddie Faulkner and wide receiver coach Frisman Jackson – were on the Wolfpack staff.

Also, new senior defensive assistant/linebackers coach Brian Flores was the Dolphins head coach last season and was with the New England Patriots when they drafted Brissett on the third round in 2016.

Brissett (6-foot-4, 235 pounds) is a strong-armed quarterback who fits the mold of a mobile quarterback the Steelers appear to desire. He ran 119 times for 488 yards and eight touchdowns in the 30 games he started for the Colts and 19 times for 70 yards with the Dolphins. When he was backing up Andrew Luck, he was often brought into the game in short-yardage situations and occasionally to throw Hail Mary desperation attempts.

If the Steelers pursued Brissett, it is likely he would be brought in to challenge Mason Rudolph and even Dwayne Haskins to be the starter. He wouldn’t cost the Steelers a lot of money, either. The Dolphins gave him a one-year, $5 million contract last season.

The Colts initially traded for Brissett in 2017 after he started two games as a rookie for the Patriots when Tom Brady was serving a four-game suspension for his role in Deflategate. He ended up starting 15 games while Luck was struggling to return from shoulder surgery.

When Luck abruptly retired before the start of the 2019 regular season, the Colts gave Brissett a two-year extension and made him the starter again. But it was not a successful stint with the Colts. He was 11-19 in two years as a starter, but threw 31 touchdowns against 13 interceptions.

Brissett became a backup again in 2020 when the Colts signed Philip Rivers, but left after the season and signed with the Dolphins. He lost his first three starts during a seven-game losing streak when Tagovailoa was injured, but won his next two that started Miami on its seven-game winning streak.

One way or another, the Steelers are expected to add a quarterback in free agency. It just a matter of which one and for what role. Brissett could be among the options.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2022/03/11/nfl-free-agency-news-rumors-reports-jacoby-brissett-juju-smith-schuster/stories/202203110037?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Northern_Blitz
03-11-2022, 04:54 PM
No surprise here.

He'll be cheap and he has ties to most of the offensive coaching staff.

I think the QB we bring in will be a guy like this - about the same price as Mason.

SteelBucks
03-11-2022, 04:59 PM
I’d rather have Cliff Stoudt or Mark Malone.

Talk about aiming low….

feltdizz
03-11-2022, 05:46 PM

Talk about aiming low….

yeah.. what is the point of bringing in a guy like Brissett? Talk about wasting a roster spot.

Northern_Blitz
03-11-2022, 05:59 PM
yeah.. what is the point of bringing in a guy like Brissett? Talk about wasting a roster spot.

I think the point is to get some level of competition for Mason without spending more cap room than we have to.

Brissett is the right kind of player to bring in if your plan is to start Mason. Cheap. But with some level of experience.

Bawb the Revelator
03-11-2022, 09:55 PM
I think the point is to get some level of competition for Mason without spending more cap room than we have to.

Brissett is the right kind of player to bring in if your plan is to start Mason. Cheap. But with some level of experience.

Brissett makes sense IF they've decided to give Mason or Haskins a sink or swim year while they build the O-Line and secondary. Wagner at ILB would
train up Bush if that's possible and keep the Steelers "playoff competitive." The 2023 QB draft class is better than 2022 so why not wait instead of reaching?

feltdizz
03-11-2022, 10:05 PM
Brissett makes sense IF they've decided to give Mason or Haskins a sink or swim year while they build the O-Line and secondary. Wagner at ILB would
train up Bush if that's possible and keep the Steelers "playoff competitive." The 2023 QB draft class is better than 2022 so why not wait instead of reaching?

Who are all these good QB’s in 2023?

Stroud and Young and who else?

Who are all these other QB’s that are so much better?

SteelBucks
03-11-2022, 10:20 PM

Is Young even available? Wasn’t he a true FR last season? I thought he wasn’t draft eligible until 2024 but I may be wrong.

hawaiiansteel
03-11-2022, 10:46 PM

Anthony Richardson from Florida is the only other expected first round QB next year besides Stroud and Young.

NorthCoast
03-11-2022, 10:53 PM

Who are all these other QB’s that are so much better?I want to see what Jurkovec does this coming season. He has Roethlisberger size and moxie.

feltdizz
03-11-2022, 11:57 PM
I want to see what Jurkovec does this coming season. He has Roethlisberger size and moxie.

I only watched one game of Jurkovec, good first half, terrible second half.

He’s big but I didn’t see much moxy from him.

feltdizz
03-12-2022, 12:00 AM
Is Young even available? Wasn’t he a true FR last season? I thought he wasn’t draft eligible until 2024 but I may be wrong.

Bryce will be a junior next year.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-12-2022, 02:04 AM

Who knows at this point? In March the year before their draft years, Joe Burrow was a prospective sixth rounder and Sam Howell was a potential first overall pick

Starlifter
03-12-2022, 09:05 AM
I simply don’t understand the logic of bringing in a journeyman just to give Mason some competition during camp to see what he’s got. If the Steelers don’t know by now, then he likely doesn’t have it. Go big like Denver if you want a shot now, or roll the dice this season with Mason and DH and hope for the best.

But don’t waste roster spots on QB’s that can get you to .500. We already have that.

WindyCitySteel
03-12-2022, 09:16 AM

Talk about aiming low….

Yeah, just don't get the move. That would be like using a Wifflebat in the home run derby.

Pool that money into JC Jackson's contract.