PDA

View Full Version : Would you pay DJ $18M a year?

WindyCitySteel
03-11-2022, 10:02 AM
SteelersDepot guys saying he'd laugh at anything less after Mike Williams' deal.

Personally, no way I do. He's a nice receiver but you can find guys like that every year in the draft. There's absolutely nothing special about him.

If the Steelers agree, have to think he might hold out this summer.

Northern_Blitz
03-11-2022, 10:12 AM
It's hard because you need good players. And I think you want good receivers when you have a rookie QB.

But contracts for WRs are crazy.

And it also seems like the crop of WRs coming out of college is good every year.

So I think I'd be reluctant to give him whatever his market value is. I'd push for a big discount so he can buy some security (because he's still under contract this year).

But if I didn't get it, I would probably let him play out this year and maybe tag him if I felt like he was a top WR.

Ultimately, the market is what it is. And WRs get paid (too much IMO).

feltdizz
03-11-2022, 10:34 AM
Helllllllll noooooooo

Buzz
03-11-2022, 10:39 AM
I wouldn't pay him $18 million per year

Hopefully, he'll sign in the $13 million range, but I'm probably dreaming

For $18 million, we can replace him and maybe add another depth player. There are a lot of good WRs out there.

WindyCitySteel
03-11-2022, 10:43 AM
WR is a more important position than RB in today's game, but it's just as fungible. You could turn over that room every few years.

flippy
03-11-2022, 11:11 AM
If he had hands and was a little more physics, then maybe.

But his hands.

NorthCoast
03-11-2022, 11:23 AM
The equivalent of DJ can be had in this year's draft in the 3rd or 4th round. Every season a ton of good WRs are available. I see the market starting to turn on the vets.

Steeler Mafia
03-11-2022, 11:32 AM
Short answer .... F@#K NO!

Sword
03-11-2022, 11:35 AM
To many drops to get that so, hell noooooo

Northern_Blitz
03-11-2022, 11:40 AM
The equivalent of DJ can be had in this year's draft in the 3rd or 4th round. Every season a ton of good WRs are available. I see the market starting to turn on the vets.

I think you probably only want to sign a WR to a big market-rate 2nd contract if he's easily in the top 10 or so.

And even then, maybe not if you have to pay a QB too.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-11-2022, 11:48 AM
This question reminds me of watching Shark Tank.

"We project this company to grow year-by-year and we see the value becoming $18M."

"Yes, but you can't expect me to give you money based on what you believe you will be worth in the future. I can only give you the value that you are worth today."

I think DJ can put it all together and get to that value, but you can't pay him today as if he is already there.

Eich
03-11-2022, 11:57 AM
Just when we thought he fixed the dropsies, he went and proved that wrong, late in the season. Definitely wouldn't break the bank for him.

Steel Maniac
03-11-2022, 12:01 PM

I know he's not worth 18m a season. A team like the Cardinals would probably be doable. Maybe he can bring us a couple of additional picks.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-11-2022, 12:06 PM
If he had hands and was a little more physics, then maybe.

But his hands.
His hands are the problem. Too many drops in key situations - I'd probably pay him around $15M... Same for JuJu, actually

whisper
03-11-2022, 01:25 PM
SteelersDepot guys saying he'd laugh at anything less after Mike Williams' deal.

Personally, no way I do. He's a nice receiver but you can find guys like that every year in the draft. There's absolutely nothing special about him.

Not only "no," but "hell no." He's "OK" but nothing top drawer. He still can have dropsies from time to time; improved on them some, but still has periods where he inexplicably just drops the rock, right in his hands. And for that $18 mill? No thanks.

The Man of Steel
03-11-2022, 01:52 PM
DJ’s 107 receptions last season looked impressive on the stat sheet but not so much on the field.

SteelerMaine83
03-11-2022, 02:21 PM
DJ’s 107 receptions last season looked impressive on the stat sheet but not so much on the field.

I don't disagree with how impressive those 107 receptions look, nor would i give him a contract worth $18m on average at this time. I also think the contract value of WRs after the top tier will start to go down based on the year after year talent that seems to come into the league from college. I think a lot of good veteran FA WRs will be settling for low pay contracts after this year's draft.

With that said, i need to give DJ some love. Yes, the drops are annoying, but both K. Allen and J. Chase had more drops this year. When DJ drops the ball may be more important, here, and he did a great job most of the year (after showing lots of work on it, to his credit) but those last few games were tough.

But consider how down we've been on the O the past two years. How good would DJ be with Burrow, Mahomes, Wilson? After seeing a number of Stillers games in replay on NFL Network, you realize how good his game is. He breaks ankles with cuts, runs good routes. A better OC and better QB play the past two seasons, we wouldn't be talking about his drops. How many of those drops came when he had other color jerseys around him, the catch point was 3 yards short of the sticks on a third and 9? Most guys are looking around when your 3 yards shy and trying to convert. That was a problem with our offense.

While I can argue either way, he's a lot better receiver than a lot of posters give him credit for. I would consider a $13-15m a year extension, not $18 a year.

Captain Lemming
03-11-2022, 02:41 PM

Depends on the size of the party. Is it televised PPV and he will bring in eyes like a championship boxer? Maybe.

Oh wait THAT DJ?

Nope.

feltdizz
03-11-2022, 02:46 PM
I don't disagree with how impressive those 107 receptions look, nor would i give him a contract worth $18m on average at this time. I also think the contract value of WRs after the top tier will start to go down based on the year after year talent that seems to come into the league from college. I think a lot of good veteran FA WRs will be settling for low pay contracts after this year's draft.

With that said, i need to give DJ some love. Yes, the drops are annoying, but both K. Allen and J. Chase had more drops this year. When DJ drops the ball may be more important, here, and he did a great job most of the year (after showing lots of work on it, to his credit) but those last few games were tough.

But consider how down we've been on the O the past two years. How good would DJ be with Burrow, Mahomes, Wilson? After seeing a number of Stillers games in replay on NFL Network, you realize how good his game is. He breaks ankles with cuts, runs good routes. A better OC and better QB play the past two seasons, we wouldn't be talking about his drops. How many of those drops came when he had other color jerseys around him, the catch point was 3 yards short of the sticks on a third and 9? Most guys are looking around when your 3 yards shy and trying to convert. That was a problem with our offense.

While I can argue either way, he's a lot better receiver than a lot of posters give him credit for. I would consider a $13-15m a year extension, not $18 a year.

my problem is he isn’t a game changer. He is more of a safety valve. A Wes Welker.

Dude is slippery underneath and gets open but not much of a weapon after the catch.

and he rarely turns those 5 yard receptions into 30 yards. He isn’t slippery once he catches the ball.

WindyCitySteel
03-11-2022, 02:48 PM
My God, are we all....in agreement here?

Pop the corks!

SteelerMaine83
03-11-2022, 03:04 PM
my problem is he isn’t a game changer. He is more of a safety valve. A Wes Welker.

Dude is slippery underneath and gets open but not much of a weapon after the catch.

and he rarely turns those 5 yard receptions into 30 yards. He isn’t slippery once he catches the ball.

Again, I'll play the devil's advocate here a little.

I think you have to look at our offense. He makes some plays and shows that slippery-ness at times, but when you catch the ball on a 5 yarder and 10 of 11 guys on D are all within 10 yards of you, that's a big ask, especially on those darn bubble screens that squeeze you between a hash and the sidelines.

Watch him more closely and ask yourself what he might do in a different offense.

I'm not sure Jamar Chase looks so good in our O of the past two years.

Just sayin'

BURGH86STEEL
03-11-2022, 03:19 PM
Teams have to pay money to keep quality players. DJ is a quality player, has production, and is still young. How much more would DJ produce with a better QB and Oline?

SteelerMaine83
03-11-2022, 03:25 PM
Teams have to pay money to keep quality players. DJ is a quality player, has production, and is still young. How much more would DJ produce with a better QB and Oline?

Exactly. This O, the QB play, and the OL are all big factors here. Imagine if our QB didn't have to lead the league in least time until throw? If Ben could have hung on to it half a second more?

Better OL=Better QB Play=Better WR Play.

Those things are better, DJ puts up 125 rec, 1500 yds and 10+ TDs this past year. Is that a quality player? Is that big money?

Think about it.

NorthCoast
03-11-2022, 05:40 PM
Teams have to pay money to keep quality players. DJ is a quality player, has production, and is still young. How much more would DJ produce with a better QB and Oline?Plenty of quality WRs available for far less money.

BURGH86STEEL
03-11-2022, 07:08 PM
Plenty of quality WRs available for far less money.
Well AGAIN, players in the NFL are not paid X amount of dollars per year. The entire premise the OP is false.

DJ caught 107 balls and 8 TD's in a "limited" QB driven offense with a shuffled OLINE. Please attempt to see the entire picture.

My perspecitve is that, DJ is a young WR that has several years of high quality production. He was the ONLY WR that the Steelers could least afford to lose because of his production and overall skill set IMO.

In my limited analysis, DJ the type of WR/play maker that can defeat defenders/defenses at multiple levels. Am I wrong? Doesn't matter. I believe there is an agent and team that sees DJ as I do.

At the end of the day, top quality NFL players are not simply plug and play contrary to fan's beliefs. Business is business. Money is money. Follow me?

I'd love for the Steelers to reach an agreement with DJ and Juju. He and Juju are ballers. But money, team building, opinions, other team's offers, ect. over ride my opinion and yours.

Iron City Inc.
03-11-2022, 07:27 PM
18 mil per = trade talks if I was the GM. A team with a young up and coming Qb with wr needs and extra picks is in my crosshairs. I'd be on the phone day n night with the jets to work something out be it this draft or the 23 draft or a combo. And I like DJ I just don't believe he's great. He's good ..very good for sure.
Jets have 2 1's , 2 2nds , 2 4's n 2 5's so they have ammo galore to make any type of trade or trades they would like.
Our history of drafting well at wr makes me lean on this angle. Like it or not we're in some type of rebuild. I'm okay with a slight tear down now to work on a turn around a year or so from now.

BURGH86STEEL
03-11-2022, 07:34 PM
Exactly. This O, the QB play, and the OL are all big factors here. Imagine if our QB didn't have to lead the league in least time until throw? If Ben could have hung on to it half a second more?

Better OL=Better QB Play=Better WR Play.

Those things are better, DJ puts up 125 rec, 1500 yds and 10+ TDs this past year. Is that a quality player? Is that big money?

Think about it.
Young quality/great player = one piece of the team building puzzle. IE TJ Watt. I am not suggesting that DJ is a Watt level caliber of player. DJ deserves to be paid X contract/dollars based on his production, skill set, and youth.

The Steelers future at QB is another factor/discussion.

Terrapin
03-11-2022, 08:38 PM
If a stone hands like DJ gets $18 mil a year I'm dusting my cleats off and sneaking into camp

Ernie
03-12-2022, 05:19 AM
No way... I'd rather keep Juju, Chase, Washington, and add depth through FA, draft

WindyCitySteel
03-12-2022, 09:20 AM
Again, I'll play the devil's advocate here a little.

I think you have to look at our offense. He makes some plays and shows that slippery-ness at times, but when you catch the ball on a 5 yarder and 10 of 11 guys on D are all within 10 yards of you, that's a big ask, especially on those darn bubble screens that squeeze you between a hash and the sidelines.

Watch him more closely and ask yourself what he might do in a different offense.

I'm not sure Jamar Chase looks so good in our O of the past two years.

Just sayin'

Chase would have backed safeties out of the box at the very least, and broken more long catch and runs.

DJ is a nice, complementary player, he's not a WR1 IMO. No way I'm paying him like Mike Williams, he's very replaceable.

WindyCitySteel
03-12-2022, 09:23 AM
I'd love for the Steelers to reach an agreement with DJ and Juju. He and Juju are ballers. But money, team building, opinions, other team's offers, ect. over ride my opinion and yours.

You talk about team building and want to tie up $30M in a couple of #2 receivers. Fortunately, the Steelers don't have a long history of paying WRs big money.

NorthCoast
03-12-2022, 09:34 AM
No amount of argument will convince me that DJ should be the 4th highest paid WR in the league.
Ahead of Mike Williams, Stephon Diggs, and Cooper Kupp?? C'mon man. And even if a few more top guys get new contracts I wouldn't pay him as a #1 WR, because he isn't.

Captain Lemming
03-12-2022, 10:23 AM
Young quality/great player = one piece of the team building puzzle. IE TJ Watt. I am not suggesting that DJ is a Watt level caliber of player. DJ deserves to be paid X contract/dollars based on his production, skill set, and youth.

The Steelers future at QB is another factor/discussion.

There is a RIDICULOUS abundance of "quality" receivers and backs in this league.

Paying big money for those positions is foolishness.

Steel Maniac
03-12-2022, 11:28 AM
There is a RIDICULOUS abundance of "quality" receivers and backs in this league.

Exactly …….

A top notch cornerback is who you pay big money to. Not WR.

T.Ferguson
03-12-2022, 11:34 AM
As good as Watson is I honestly don't want him now, 22 accusers? What the hell. I'd be concerned with him getting into trouble again, big red flag at this point. Serial creeper.

Joel Buchsbaum
03-12-2022, 11:46 AM
18 million a year? Hell no, let him walk and I'll take the 3rd round comp pick.

BURGH86STEEL
03-12-2022, 04:49 PM

So why do teams invest millions of dollars in skill position players if it's simply foolishness?

BURGH86STEEL
03-12-2022, 04:50 PM
You talk about team building and want to tie up $30M in a couple of #2 receivers. Fortunately, the Steelers don't have a long history of paying WRs big money.
I don't know what those players will cost and neither does anyone else on this forum.

Captain Lemming
03-12-2022, 04:54 PM
So why do teams invest millions of dollars in skill position players if it's simply foolishness?

I will take care to explain this at great length.

THEY ARE FOOLISH.

BURGH86STEEL
03-12-2022, 05:06 PM
I will take care to explain this at great length.

THEY ARE FOOLISH.Don't waste your time. Teams have a difficult time winning games without skill position players and their contributions/production. As such, skill position players will be paid. Skill position players will continue to be drafted in the 1st round. It's that simple.

whisper
03-12-2022, 08:20 PM
No amount of argument will convince me that DJ should be the 4th highest paid WR in the league.
Ahead of Mike Williams, Stephon Diggs, and Cooper Kupp?? C'mon man. And even if a few more top guys get new contracts I wouldn't pay him as a #1 WR, because he isn't.

And Bingo was his name-O

whisper
03-12-2022, 08:22 PM
Don't waste your time. Teams have a difficult time winning games without skill position players and their contributions/production. As such, skill position players will be paid. Skill position players will continue to be drafted in the 1st round. It's that simple.

"Skill position" players will be paid, but not as #1s if they are #2 or #3s. Nuff said.

whisper
03-12-2022, 08:24 PM
Exactly …….

A top notch cornerback is who you pay big money to. Not WR.

Exactly. Some WRs are worth top $, these two are not.

Captain Lemming
03-13-2022, 01:19 AM
I don't know what those players will cost and neither does anyone else on this forum.

The premise of this thread is whether DJ is worth 18 million a year. THAT is the debate.

If he is offered less, it is a different discussion.

Captain Lemming
03-13-2022, 01:25 AM
Don't waste your time. Teams have a difficult time winning games without skill position players and their contributions/production. As such, skill position players will be paid. Skill position players will continue to be drafted in the 1st round. It's that simple.

Yes teams need skill players. They DONT NEED to pay big bucks for skill players.

Captain Lemming
03-13-2022, 02:33 AM
Exactly. Some WRs are worth top $, these two are not.

You missed Maniacs point. He never suggested paying top dollar to any receiver.

He said you pay top CORNERBACKS not receivers. He had just agreed to my similar thought.

For example the thread where you think the Browns scored getting Cooper?

Dumb move at 20 million per season. I love it

Captain Lemming
03-13-2022, 02:41 AM

Example below:

Browns trade for Cowboy's WR Cooper

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2022/03/12/amari-cooper-trade-cleveland-browns-dallas-cowboys/7017015001/

They gave up almost nothing to fill a huge need. Cooper is a 4 time pro bowl WR, former high 1st round pick. He may have lost a step, but not much. Still can add a lot of a passing game.

Except they also have to pick up that contract which isn’t great. $20M cap hit for the next three years. They’re over the cap so expect some cuts soon.

Idiot Cowboys KEEP paying top dollar for backs and receivers.

They FINALLY figured he ain't worth the cap hit and the MORE idiotic Browns wreaked their cap signing him.

Iron City Inc.
03-13-2022, 06:53 AM
Dallas may make a good trade partner now on April 28th.

BURGH86STEEL
03-13-2022, 05:17 PM
The premise of this thread is whether DJ is worth 18 million a year. THAT is the debate.

If he is offered less, it is a different discussion.

Players in the NFL are not paid X amount of dollars per year. Players are paid based on the structure of their contracts. So the premise is false. I am sure you know this.

BURGH86STEEL
03-13-2022, 05:22 PM
Yes teams need skill players. They DONT NEED to pay big bucks for skill players.
Why do teams draft skill position players in the first round? Some people laughed at the Bengals for drafting Chase in the first round (5th overall) BPA?.

Was Chase worth his draft status? IMO yes based on his production and the eventual effect he had on the way defenses need to approach the Bengals offense.

Look there is a long list of skill position players that justified their pay days. There is a long list of players that didn't justify their pay days.

DJ is worth X amount of dollars in my opinion because if his skill set and production. Based on his experience, age, and potential he still has a lot of potential. The Steelers will need to have a QB to help maximize DJ's potential at some point.

Maybe the Steelers should simply pay for the Ray Ray skill positions of the NFL and see how the fair? Is this your belief?

WindyCitySteel
03-13-2022, 05:27 PM
Players in the NFL are not paid X amount of dollars per year. Players are paid based on the structure of their contracts. So the premise is false. I am sure you know this.

But contracts are always discussed/compared based on their AAV.

I am sure you know this.

WindyCitySteel
03-13-2022, 05:29 PM
Why do teams draft skill position players in the first round? Some people laughed at the Bengals for drafting Chase in the first round (5th overall) BPA?.

Because you get the best there and they're on rookie contracts?

WR is a very important position, it also happens to be very fungible. Get 4-5 years out of a guy and get a new one.

And a guy like DJ? Dime a dozen.

BURGH86STEEL
03-13-2022, 05:37 PM
But contracts are always discussed/compared based on their AAV.

I am sure you know this. NLF player contracts should be discussed based on YEARLY CAPP HITS. Anything else is just media talk blah blah blah.

BURGH86STEEL
03-13-2022, 05:39 PM
Because you get the best there and they're on rookie contracts?

WR is a very important position, it also happens to be very fungible. Get 4-5 years out of a guy and get a new one.

And a guy like DJ? Dime a dozen.
Well you are wrong about the rookie contract thingy. You are also wrong about simply replacing players. There are many factors involved.

In an ideal free agency world the Steelers would be able to replace players seamlessly. But.... anyway. I guess people simply don't pay attention enough?

DJ isn't a dime a dozen guy IMO. His production increased every year in the league 107 catches, 1100+ yards, 8 TDs. Even with a limited Ben. DJ is a high quality starter in the NFL. His value will eventually be determined.

WindyCitySteel
03-13-2022, 05:56 PM
Well you are wrong about the rookie contract thingy. You are also wrong about simply replacing players. There are many factors involved.

In an ideal free agency world the Steelers would be able to replace players seamlessly. But.... anyway. I guess people simply don't pay attention enough?

DJ isn't a dime a dozen guy IMO. His production increased every year in the league 107 catches, 1100+ yards, 8 TDs. Even with a limited Ben. DJ is a high quality starter in the NFL. His value will eventually be determined.

DJ is a good receiver. I'd draft his replacement 10/10 times before giving him a new contract at "market" value.

It's not a difficult decision. He's so replaceable.

Ernie
03-13-2022, 06:00 PM
DJ is a good receiver. I'd draft his replacement 10/10 times before giving him a new contract at "market" value.

It's not a difficult decision. He's so replaceable.

Most teams have one like him (or better)... hopefully we dont "Pay the man"

whisper
03-13-2022, 06:19 PM

LMAO. Yea, the "King of Drops" is irreplaceable, for sure. :rolleyes:

BURGH86STEEL
03-13-2022, 06:45 PM
Most teams have one like him (or better)... hopefully we dont "Pay the man"
So most teams had a player that caught 107 balls and 8 TD's with a past prime QB and insufficient Oline. Got it.

Don't pay DJ then who are you going to pay? Ray Ray? Sorry but production = pay day. Pay for less this is what you are going to get. This is the reality of professional sports.

BURGH86STEEL
03-13-2022, 06:48 PM
LMAO. Yea, the "King of Drops" is irreplaceable, for sure. :rolleyes:
I never made the claim that DJ was irreplaceable. His production and skill set is difficult to replace. He can beat man to man NFL coverage. He is only 25 and growing as a player. Maybe he won't reach is peak in understanding the way NFL defense approach him and offenses until year 5 plus or until he has a better QB? Maybe we seen the best DJ has to offer? I don''t know? I think he has a lot of quality years left as a highly productive player. My opinion doesn't matter. My opinion is based on watching him perform. Teams have the ultimate say.

No player is irreplaceable in professional sports. Simply because there is always the next man up.

BURGH86STEEL
03-13-2022, 06:54 PM
I am frustrated with some Steelers fans. Steelers fans watched the "offensive" deficiencies since DJ arrived and he produced regardless of the offensive deficiencies. At the end of the day the Steelers are going to have to pay for a WR of DJ's skill set and production. I don't know what DJ will command. Watching him I know he is worth a hefty pay raise. Ultimately, the Steelers or NFL market will decide.

I don't control either. I KNOW THAT DJ WILL GET PAID because he is young, talented, and productive. This is where the discussion basically ends for me.

Draft another WR and it will generally mean years of development and growth.

Ernie
03-13-2022, 07:03 PM
So most teams had a player that caught 107 balls and 8 TD's with a past prime QB and insufficient Oline. Got it.

Don't pay DJ then who are you going to pay? Ray Ray? Sorry but production = pay day. Pay for less this is what you are going to get. This is the reality of professional sports.

How many times was he targeted? I'm not saying hes not a good receiver. Hes not 18 million good though. We paid AB 19 mill in his prime.. and hes not a fraction of ABs talent.

BURGH86STEEL
03-13-2022, 07:50 PM
How many times was he targeted? I'm not saying hes not a good receiver. Hes not 18 million good though. We paid AB 19 mill in his prime.. and hes not a fraction of ABs talent.
AGAIN Ernie, NFL players are not paid X amount of dollars per year. Contract structures and capp hits are generally the key to NFL contracts.

Ernie
03-13-2022, 07:59 PM
AGAIN Ernie, NFL players are not paid X amount of dollars per year. Contract structures and capp hits are generally the key to NFL contracts.

Mere semantics... I dont care how you word it.. I hope we DONT pay him elite WR money..
Too many other holes to fill..

Ernie
03-13-2022, 08:05 PM

Getting back to the OPs question though... no, I would not pay DJ 18 mill per year.

BURGH86STEEL
03-13-2022, 08:23 PM
Getting back to the OPs question though... no, I would not pay DJ 18 mill per year.
Again, players in the NFL are not paid X amount of dollars per year. Why is this so difficult for fans to understand? For example, if the Steelers gave DJ and 60 mill extension with 20 mill up front and his contract hits were 5 mill the 1st two seasons after the extension but his salary jumped significantly in year 3 would you be ok with this?

The Steelers could always renegotiate with DJ at any point of his contract depending on the upfront money or capp situation. This is standard practice around the league. We are not talking NBA or MLB players who's contracts are mostly guaranteed.

Many top tier NFL players made strides in receiving a substantial portion of having their contracts guaranteed.

Mahomes signed a 500,000,000 contract. Only 141 mill was guaranteed. Anyway just look at how Mahomen's contract is structure. The Chiefs protected themselves just in case Mahomes becomes a less effective player.

You tell me when the Cheifs can opt out or will renegotiate

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/patrick-mahomes-21751/

BURGH86STEEL
03-13-2022, 08:29 PM
Mere semantics... I dont care how you word it.. I hope we DONT pay him elite WR money..
Too many other holes to fill..
It's not semantics. Ok the Steelers should simply fill the roll of DJ with Ray Ray type of WR's. Got it.

DJ produced as well as most WR's in the league. SMH. People watched this dude perform and don't see it. It's a head scratcher to me. I'd resign DJ at the right overall value and contract structure. That's just me.

Ernie
03-13-2022, 08:44 PM
It's not semantics. Ok the Steelers should simply fill the roll of DJ with Ray Ray type of WR's. Got it.

DJ produced as well as most WR's in the league. SMH. People watched this dude perform and don't see it. It's a head scratcher to me. I'd resign DJ at the right overall value and contract structure. That's just me.

I'm merely responding to the thread title.. I would not pay DJ 18 million a year. I'm not suggesting hes not a good receiver.. or that there arent ways to get a deal done (that work well for both parties).

NorthCoast
03-14-2022, 07:44 AM
Again, players in the NFL are not paid X amount of dollars per year. Why is this so difficult for fans to understand? For example, if the Steelers gave DJ and 60 mill extension with 20 mill up front and his contract hits were 5 mill the 1st two seasons after the extension but his salary jumped significantly in year 3 would you be ok with this?

The Steelers could always renegotiate with DJ at any point of his contract depending on the upfront money or capp situation. This is standard practice around the league. We are not talking NBA or MLB players who's contracts are mostly guaranteed.

Many top tier NFL players made strides in receiving a substantial portion of having their contracts guaranteed.

Mahomes signed a 500,000,000 contract. Only 141 mill was guaranteed. Anyway just look at how Mahomen's contract is structure. The Chiefs protected themselves just in case Mahomes becomes a less effective player.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/patrick-mahomes-21751/I think where your argument breaks down is that the Steelers generally honor player contracts. Or at least they don't intentionally sign a guy to big back end $ with the idea of dumping him before it pays out.

WindyCitySteel
03-14-2022, 07:50 AM
I think where your argument breaks down is that the Steelers generally honor player contracts. Or at least they don't intentionally sign a guy to big back end $ with the idea of dumping him before it pays out.

It also breaks down because he ignores the insinuated huge dead money hit that looms if you don't pay out the contract. Eventually you have to pay the piper.

Chris Olave is a much better version of DJ who may be there at 1.20, and who will be cheap for 4 years. That's a no-brainer move if your QB is gone.

Northern_Blitz
03-14-2022, 09:18 AM

https://imgs.search.brave.com/LLLizEmPSmaWVopsHbzl5jHL7e_PCc1JU_x2WUZQYsg/rs:fit:320:240:1/g:ce/aHR0cHM6Ly9pLm1h/a2VhZ2lmLmNvbS9t/ZWRpYS82LTAxLTIw/MTYvVVE3Q1RjLmdp/Zg.gif

Northern_Blitz
03-14-2022, 09:52 AM

IIRC, I think Mahomes contract is very weird. Something like when they pay him in year N, his salary in year N+1 becomes guaranteed? Or something like that. There's some kind of poison pill in there that makes a very painful cut down the road.

feltdizz
03-14-2022, 09:56 AM
I don’t see us paying DJ that type of money. I would be shocked if he received anything over $12 mill from us.

Oviedo
03-14-2022, 10:05 AM
I don’t see us paying DJ that type of money. I would be shocked if he received anything over $12 mill from us.

I agree...$12M is about the max

Captain Lemming
03-14-2022, 01:10 PM
DJ is worth X amount of dollars in my opinion because if his skill set and production. Based on his experience, age, and potential he still has a lot of potential. The Steelers will need to have a QB to help maximize DJ's potential at some point.

Let me demomstrate how ridiculous your argument is.

I agree with you 100 percent. We literally have zero to debate.

X means 10, so I define that as 10 million per year. I am PERFECTLY FINE with that.

As long as you don't define what "x" is any debate about whether signing him is smart is baseless.

Without a number EVEN YOU cannot be 100 percent for signing DJ. Would YOU make him the highest paid receiver in history? You are literally arguing we absolutely should extend him without any definition of his financial worth.

He can sign a 5 year 100 million dollar contract if I can structure it with a 20 million signing bonus, 1 mil for firs5 2 seasons, and the back end not guaranteed. Ridiculous? Yes. But that's the problem with undefined hypothetical.

Feel free to argue the merits of the debate. But to take EITHER SIDE and argue he is a good or bad signing makes no sense whatsoever without a number.

Captain Lemming
03-14-2022, 01:17 PM
Let me demomstrate how ridiculous your argument is.

I agree with you 100 percent. We literally have zero to debate.

X means 10, so I define that as 10 million per year. I am PERFECTLY FINE with that.

As long as you don't define what "x" is any debate about whether signing him is smart is baseless.

Without a number EVEN YOU cannot be 100 percent for signing DJ. Would YOU make him the highest paid receiver in history? You are literally arguing we absolutely should extend him without any definition of his financial worth.

He can sign a 5 year 100 million dollar contract if I can structure it with a 20 million signing bonus, 1 mil for firs5 2 seasons, and the back end not guaranteed. Ridiculous? Yes. But that's the problem with undefined hypothetical.

Feel free to argue the merits of the debate. But to take EITHER SIDE and argue he is a good or bad signing makes no sense whatsoever without a number.

The title of this thread is "Would you PAY DJ 18 million a year?"

That is NOT a contract. That is how much you actually PAY him. I don't care how it breaks down in bonuses or annually.

18 mil ×3 in the end goes into his bank over 3 years. It averages an 18 mil cap hit no matter how you slice it.

Simple.

Is he worth that?

feltdizz
03-14-2022, 04:41 PM
Jags just signed Arizona WR Christian Kirk to a 4/$84Mill deal.

Kid has never been over 1,00 yards.

Leftwich refused the Jags gig because they wouldn’t fire the GM. Now we see why. But hey, maybe they know more than I do and this kid is a star.

Chucktownsteeler
03-14-2022, 04:44 PM
I wouldn't pay DJ 18 million per year, but that is me. I think around 11 million would be the max. WR position has more supply than demand. College is doing a fine job turning out pro-ready WRs.

feltdizz
03-14-2022, 04:49 PM
The title of this thread is "Would you PAY DJ 18 million a year?"

That is NOT a contract. That is how much you actually PAY him. I don't care how it breaks down in bonuses or annually.

18 mil ×3 in the end goes into his bank over 3 years. It averages an 18 mil cap hit no matter how you slice it.

Simple.

Is he worth that?

replace $18Mil with X and carry the Y and then you get…

https://c.tenor.com/oFQ6mrYvaxQAAAAM/confused-math.gif

whisper
03-14-2022, 06:32 PM
I agree...$12M is about the max

That's still at least double of what it should be. "Mr. Dropsies."

Shawn
03-14-2022, 11:19 PM
Should the Steelers pay DJ 18 million a year? No...I hope that helps.