PDA

View Full Version : Steelers targeting Bucs free agent corner Carlton Davis

hawaiiansteel
03-10-2022, 07:27 PM
Andrew Fillipponi
@ThePoniExpress

Source: The Steelers are targeting Bucs free agent corner Carlton Davis. #1 corner. Physical. Can play the run too. Stay tuned.

Mar 10, 2022

https://twitter.com/ThePoniExpress/status/1502003268389646341?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1502003268389646341%7Ctwgr% 5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.behindt hesteelcurtain.com%2F2022%2F3%2F10%2F22971562%2Fpi ttsburgh-steelers-free-agent-rumors-starting-carlton-davis-bobby-wagner-jordan-whitehead-nfl-news

SteelBucks
03-10-2022, 07:32 PM
Tackling machine.

Chucktownsteeler
03-10-2022, 09:16 PM
Fingers crossed

Buzz
03-10-2022, 10:31 PM
If we don't upgrade at ILB, we'll need to have a tackling machine in the backfield

Iron City Inc.
03-11-2022, 06:54 AM
Fills a hole we seem to be unable to fill through the draft. If Witherspoon is also signed we would be in good shape. Sutton as the slot 3rd is real good. Like it a lot as long as the $$$ is not over the top.

NorthCoast
03-11-2022, 07:41 AM
Fills a hole we seem to be unable to fill through the draft. If Witherspoon is also signed we would be in good shape. Sutton as the slot 3rd is real good. Like it a lot as long as the $$$ is not over the top.
Spotrac has his market value at a hair under $20M/yr. That ain't cheap.

WindyCitySteel
03-11-2022, 08:17 AM
Good, we don't seem to be able to draft/develop CBs. Question is, can he cover? Run support is a bonus, but he doesn't seem to be a highly rated cover guy.

Steel Maniac
03-11-2022, 12:06 PM

But for that position, and factoring in we can't find it through the draft, I suppose I'd pay it. Note: I watched him get torched in 2020 (their super bowl year) by Calvin Ridley thou.

hawaiiansteel
03-11-2022, 03:42 PM

doesn't sound like the type of player and salary we would sign.

I would rather have two $10 million/year guys at OL, CB, or ILB instead.

SS Laser
03-12-2022, 01:44 AM
In a couple threads on here I seen a percentage used instead of a cash figure. So what has Haden’s cap percentage been? Then how close would Davis cap percentage be to Haden’s with this market type contract?
The money sounds huge. But the position is huge to the defense. I like Spoon also, but his journey so far has me very concerned to pay him starter money.

hawaiiansteel
03-12-2022, 08:04 PM
Steelers Depot
@Steelersdepot

Most passes defenses since 2019, per @pfref

Davis and Jackson both free agents so they ought to get a lot of attention. Davis valued around $17M per. Jackson more than that.

Carlton Davis - 48
James Bradberry - 47
JC Jackson - 47
Marshon Lattimore - 44
Xavien Howard - 40

Mar 12, 2022

https://twitter.com/Steelersdepot/status/1502752761082904576?cxt=HHwWgICs2ZPr7NopAAAA

whisper
03-12-2022, 08:27 PM
Good, we don't seem to be able to draft/develop CBs. Question is, can he cover? Run support is a bonus, but he doesn't seem to be a highly rated cover guy.

We need our CBs to cover; this ain't 2004 in a Dick Lebeau system. You need CBs to cover, not just hit.

Captain Lemming
03-13-2022, 02:19 AM
We need our CBs to cover; this ain't 2004 in a Dick Lebeau system. You need CBs to cover, not just hit.

Dick Lebeau had more number one PASS defenses than Chuck Noll.

WindyCitySteel
03-13-2022, 07:03 AM
Terrible podcast with some sobering facts on Steelers and free agents. Haden and Nelson have been the highest paid in terms of AAV in the Colbert era, both under $10M. Now we're talking about signing guys for double that.

I think I got my hopes up with the cap space this year, likely we're going to bottom feed again.

steeler_george
03-13-2022, 11:59 AM

That would ideal, but I am startig to connect the dots.

If this true about Davis III, then Withersoon is gone, although he is a playmaker, he doesn't support the run.

Resigning Maulet means they liked him as the slot CB, with Tre and that would keep Sutton outside. ( maybe they resign or draft a slot CB they are cheaper.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-13-2022, 12:25 PM
Love this move... that's pretty much the end for Haden (which we knew anyway)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-13-2022, 12:31 PM

I even wonder if Haden is on the radar. I would think that if they are re-signing a FA it is Witherspoon on a mid level deal. I'd think that the only way we see Haden come back is if he is still unsigned after the draft and the Steelers still haven't addressed anything. I could then see him return on a 1-2 year deal pretty cheap with minimal cap penalty for releasing him after the first season.

NJ-STEELER
03-13-2022, 08:17 PM
Terrible podcast with some sobering facts on Steelers and free agents. Haden and Nelson have been the highest paid in terms of AAV in the Colbert era, both under $10M. Now we're talking about signing guys for double that.

I think I got my hopes up with the cap space this year, likely we're going to bottom feed again.

big bad money grubbing ben is gone.

we can fill the roster with super talented free agents now. lol

feltdizz
03-14-2022, 10:11 AM
yep… without a franchise QB contract you have more money to spend on other positions.

I’m excited to see how we use that space once the books are clear.

Northern_Blitz
03-14-2022, 11:03 AM
big bad money grubbing ben is gone.

we can fill the roster with super talented free agents now. lol

We've got to clean out the team of dead money first. Get to a more or less clean cap situation. Then shoot for a rookie and pray that he's at least average (and hopefully better).

Then bring in as much talent as we can while he's still cheap.

We all wished it worked out better with Ben at market value. But now we have an opportunity to be elite for the 4-5 seasons after this one. It's nowhere near a sure thing, but the upside is very big IMO.

whisper
03-14-2022, 11:27 AM
Dick Lebeau had more number one PASS defenses than Chuck Noll.

Yea, and as already stated, Dick's system was predicated on giving receivers alligator arms; we've heard DBs state, multiple times, how hard hits were more valued than interceptions in Dick's system (Ryan Clark has stated this more than once). If true, after the concussion liability thing, you can no longer deliver the kind of hits to give receivers alligator arms, hence the entire systems needs and has been scrapped. Now, picks are obviously the more crucial part of the game, hits have been nearly eliminated. Goody bye Labeau's entire philosophy and heart of his D scheme. It's now antiquated.

feltdizz
03-14-2022, 11:27 AM

Is this a done deal?

SteelBucks
03-14-2022, 05:14 PM
Davis is expected to resign with Tampa.

Ernie
03-14-2022, 05:18 PM
Davis is expected to resign with Tampa.

I'd imagine Brady coming back had something to do with that

SteelBucks
03-14-2022, 05:20 PM
I'd imagine Brady coming back had something to do with that

The Brady effect is strong.

NJ-STEELER
03-14-2022, 05:21 PM
We've got to clean out the team of dead money first. Get to a more or less clean cap situation. Then shoot for a rookie and pray that he's at least average (and hopefully better).

Then bring in as much talent as we can while he's still cheap.

We all wished it worked out better with Ben at market value. But now we have an opportunity to be elite for the 4-5 seasons after this one. It's nowhere near a sure thing, but the upside is very big IMO.

there's no elite team without a capable QB. that's the crucial piece to the puzzle

WindyCitySteel
03-14-2022, 06:08 PM
The Brady effect is strong.

They need to clear a ton of space before Wednesday at 4:00.

pfelix73
03-14-2022, 06:58 PM
If we don't upgrade at ILB, we'll need to have a tackling machine in the backfield

We will upgrade at ILB... Sure of it.

Ernie
03-14-2022, 07:01 PM
We will upgrade at ILB... Sure of it.

I think getting Tuitt back will be our upgrade in ILB play

Captain Lemming
03-15-2022, 06:38 AM
Re-signed with the Bucs.
3 years 45 millions.

We could have beat that. EASY. Well worth the money. JC gone, now Davis?

I'm kinda mad now.

Better get Spoon done. We could have had both and be set.

steeler_george
03-15-2022, 07:12 AM
Re-signed with the Bucs.
3 years 45 millions.

We could have beat that. EASY. Well worth the money. JC gone, now Davis?

I'm kinda mad now.

Better get Spoon done. We could have had both and be set.

I agree, we need to sure up the backfield ASAP. To me this is a biggest question area behind OL.

He would of made a big time impact.

Now I think we will resign Witherspoon & Edmunds and settle with what we have.
Outside: Sutton, Witherspoon
slot: Maulet, Tre
S: Fitz, Edmunds
resv: Layne, Pierre, Kila

I still see that Donte Jackson is free...
Kind of inconsistant, but played has talent.
Could we pull the trigger...

WindyCitySteel
03-15-2022, 07:46 AM
Now I think we will resign Witherspoon & Edmunds and settle with what we have.
Outside: Sutton, Witherspoon
slot: Maulet, Tre
S: Fitz, Edmunds
resv: Layne, Pierre, Kila

In the QB rich AFC, this is how you tank like a champion.

Joel Buchsbaum
03-15-2022, 09:54 AM
Fingers crossed

I like your projected first round pick. We don't draft corners high, we sign them.

Chucktownsteeler
03-15-2022, 09:58 AM
I like your projected first round pick. We don't draft corners high, we sign them.

Thanks, I am starting to think the 1st round will be ILB or maybe if a top WR falls to #20.