PDA

View Full Version : Post QB moves who do we want

Oviedo
03-10-2022, 02:54 AM
Rudolph--in system
Trubisky--not as bad as portrayed and may be great fit for Canada's offense
Minshew--has proven he can be successful starter. Probably decent fit for Cabnada's offense
Bridgewater--experience but can't stay healthy
Mariotta--see Bridgewater
Rookie--roll the dice in a very average QB class

WindyCitySteel
03-10-2022, 10:32 AM
Ridder until I change my mind again.

SteelBucks
03-10-2022, 10:34 AM
I’d prefer a rookie who can grow and develop in the system while finally answering questions about MR and Haskins. The only problem with a rookie is we pick 20th…I think Willis and Pickett are long gone by then. The other rookie QBs are just meh in my book.

Northern_Blitz
03-10-2022, 11:05 AM
"Want" is a strong term because I don't actually "want" any of these guys.

I don't think any of the options are that good.

So I think we should stick with Mason (who is also not that good). And try to spend as little as possible getting another QB back in.

Who's the cheapest journeyman that could be competition for Mason at a similar or lower salary? I wouldn't be surprised if it's Taylor or Brissett who didn't make the list here.

If it's cheap, I don't mind trying another high-pedigree scrap heap guy like Mitch T or Marcus M. But only if they're cheap. Rumors put MT's contract at $10M. I don't think we'll bring in any of these guys at 2x what Mason is making.

feltdizz
03-10-2022, 11:08 AM
I’m open to any of these 5 rookies in the draft.

I really think there are a few who could end up being franchise QB’s they just don’t play for the powerhouses that draft gurus prefer.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-10-2022, 11:24 AM

So I think we should stick with Mason (who is also not that good). And try to spend as little as possible getting another QB back in.

Who's the cheapest journeyman that could be competition for Mason at a similar or lower salary? I wouldn't be surprised if it's Taylor or Brissett who didn't make the list here.

If it's cheap, I don't mind trying another high-pedigree scrap heap guy like Mitch T or Marcus M. But only if they're cheap. Rumors put MT's contract at $10M. I don't think we'll bring in any of these guys at 2x what Mason is making.

Was going to say exactly the same thing. My answer is "none of the above" but will settle for Rudolph/Haskins while waiting patiently for who I do want.

T.Ferguson
03-10-2022, 12:00 PM
Starting a rookie QB on this offense would likely be an outright disaster, probably do more harm than good in terms of development.

SteelBucks
03-10-2022, 12:02 PM
Starting a rookie QB on this offense would likely be an outright disaster, probably do more harm than good in terms of development.

I don’t think anyone wants a rookie to start. I believe most want a rookie to develop. MR isn’t a great option but I’d roll with what we currently have for 2022 and fill other needs.

Northern_Blitz
03-10-2022, 12:04 PM
Was going to say exactly the same thing. My answer is "none of the above" but will settle for Rudolph/Haskins while waiting patiently for who I do want.

In celebration of our unified front here, I give you this. Maybe not pure Canadiana, but probably pretty close.

Not sure how Bubbles got his hands on a Gibson like that (I know I can't afford one...or at least I'd rather spend money on other things than my guitar habit). But he nails it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUsyR6aJoUY

SteelerOfDeVille
03-10-2022, 12:43 PM

Good point... my only WANT right now is DeShaun Watson... everyone else... meh

Having said that, I think the top end of the draft is slowly filling with teams needed a QB (Seattle just added to that list). I don't see a rookie happening because it will either a)require trade up or b) end up being Matt Corral in the 1st, which i don't want.

Joel Buchsbaum
03-10-2022, 05:29 PM
Rudolph--in system
Trubisky--not as bad as portrayed and may be great fit for Canada's offense
Minshew--has proven he can be successful starter. Probably decent fit for Cabnada's offense
Bridgewater--experience but can't stay healthy
Mariotta--see Bridgewater
Rookie--roll the dice in a very average QB class

I want a cheap starter. Trubisky in free agency, Pickett in round one or Sam Howell in round two. Build the lines. Non QB 1st round picks included LB Lloyd, C Liderbaum, or G Green.

The Man of Steel
03-10-2022, 05:41 PM
Ben was drafted by a crappy 6-10 Steelers team but he got his chance as a rookie and got them to 15-1. I wouldn’t expect that to happen again but I think a rookie could come in and get the job done.

Northern_Blitz
03-10-2022, 05:44 PM
I want a cheap starter. Trubisky in free agency, Pickett in round one or Sam Howell in round two. Build the lines. Non QB 1st round picks included LB Lloyd, C Liderbaum, or G Green.

What do you think about the idea that's floating around in the press that Mitch is going to get ~ $10 / year? I think that's a terrible deal if someone signs it.

I don't mind bringing him in if he's on a cheap prove it deal. I think that's what you should probably get after being a back up guy who threw 8 passes.

Northern_Blitz
03-10-2022, 05:45 PM
Ben was drafted by a crappy 6-10 Steelers team but he got his chance as a rookie and got them to 15-1. I wouldn’t expect that to happen again but I think a rookie could come in and get the job done.

I think Ben played well above expectations that year. But I also think the team around him was a lot better than the team we currently have...but maybe I'm just thinking that way in hindsight knowing what those guys turned out to be?

SteelBucks
03-10-2022, 06:05 PM
I think Ben played well above expectations that year. But I also think the team around him was a lot better than the team we currently have...but maybe I'm just thinking that way in hindsight knowing what those guys turned out to be?

Ben had a better team around him. Back then they only asked him to manage the game and avoid the big mistake. It worked…won the super bowl in year 2.

Bawb the Revelator
03-10-2022, 06:48 PM
I want a cheap starter. Trubisky in free agency, Pickett in round one or Sam Howell in round two. Build the lines. Non QB 1st round picks included LB Lloyd, C Liderbau960sm, or G Green.
"You can't always get what you want" as Mick Jagger told us in the 1960s :) I'm for giving MR or Haskins every chance to succeed or fail before the Steelers try to duplicate Belichik's Brady-in-Round-6-dumb-luck. Unless the Rooneys trade franchises with an NFL dumpster fire the Steelers will always draft at #20 or worse. Cowher won with Neil O'Donnell. 5 YEARS after the Steelers lost the SB to Green Bay Ben COULD HAVE BEEN TRADED for players plusbeaucoup draft picks!. That didn't happen. Build the O-Line, D-Backs and make Najee and RPOs and play to your strength! You might make the SB but at least you won't be Jacksonville! LOL..

SteelBucks
03-10-2022, 07:43 PM
The rookie well may dry up quickly. Now many mocks have Willis as the first QB chosen at 9 to Seattle. Doubt Pickett lasts to 20. I’m not really interested in the other QBs. I’m also not paying Trubisky $10M/year.

Fun times…..