PDA

View Full Version : Target Free Agents

flippy
03-09-2022, 10:33 AM
Here's some free agents that might come from the bargain bin for our team. Everyone is super pricey, but here's a couple guys I think could be relatively cheaper than the rest and might be some good value targets for us.

Sidney Jones - CB - Seattle - 25 - $3-4m/yr??? He was highly touted coming out and then had an achiles injury which pushed him to be a 2nd round pick. Then he's bounced around due to injuries, but I think he could be ready to turn a corner from here. Something about him seems like the Pittsburgh salvage project and where can you find CB potential like his at such a low cost?

Mark Glowinski - OG - Indy - 29 - $5-$6m/yr??? Seems like a solid run blocker. Could get some solid/quick interior Olinemen which could be a strength with Dotson, Green, and Glowinski assuming our guys come back strong. Then you could plug in Moore and Haeg on the outside and I think you'd have this unit serviceable albeit not perfect going into the draft.

Jayron Kearse - S - Dallas - 28 - $2-3m/yr??? Dallas had him on a 1 year, 1m contract and he can play in the box, makes tackles, makes plays in coverage. He's not the athletic freak like Edmunds but could be a much cheaper version who can potentially produce just as well at a fraction of the price.

Anthony Walker - ILB - Cleveland - 26 - $3-4m/yr??? Young guy you could plug in to replace Joe S for less than half the cost. Simply frees up money. Not sure if he's better?

I do worry some of these guys could be hot commodities with every team trying to save some money. And I'm not 100% sure any of them are better than what we've got. Jones intrigues me the most and with Tomlin's love of DBs and 1st round talent, he really feels like the guy we would target 1st.

Northern_Blitz
03-09-2022, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the names Flippy.

I think that we'll sign a bunch of guys at these kind of price points.

I think we have too many needs to go really big on many UFAs.

We'll see what the guys in charge think though.

WindyCitySteel
03-09-2022, 11:39 AM
Yay!!!! More Jon Bostic/Mark Barron types we'll have to cut in a year or two.

Hard pass. Sign one or two stars to long term deals and totally eliminate need at those positions.

Northern_Blitz
03-09-2022, 11:59 AM
Yay!!!! More Jon Bostic/Mark Barron types we'll have to cut in a year or two.

Hard pass. Sign one or two stars to long term deals and totally eliminate need at those positions.

What are you going to do at the other ~8 open positions after you sign your bigger name guys?

We will do both i think.

1 or 2 bugger guys.

Cheap guys to fill other holes.

WindyCitySteel
03-09-2022, 12:54 PM
What are you going to do at the other ~8 open positions after you sign your bigger name guys?

We will do both i think.

1 or 2 bugger guys.

Cheap guys to fill other holes.

Take your time and rebuild properly, don't just paper over holes that you'll have to paper over in a year. Legit fill holes and for the others, see if your young guys grow into the position. Coach/scheme around holes that remain.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-09-2022, 01:03 PM
Sidney Jones - CB - Seattle - 25 - $3-4m/yr??? He was highly touted coming out and then had an achiles injury which pushed him to be a 2nd round pick. Then he's bounced around due to injuries, but I think he could be ready to turn a corner from here. Something about him seems like the Pittsburgh salvage project and where can you find CB potential like his at such a low cost?

I mentioned Jones in another thread as the type of FA the teams likes. Good draft pedigree, prior injury that he has hopefully recovered from, and if he does overcome he would be a great value. The key is that the guaranteed investment has to be low so if he is not injury free he is easy to separate from.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-09-2022, 02:11 PM
Austin Corbett, OG, Rams... I think he ends up being the "splash" o-linemen that the team grabs during the offseason

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-09-2022, 03:05 PM
Austin Corbett, OG, Rams... I think he ends up being the "splash" o-linemen that the team grabs during the offseason

I like this idea for several reasons:

1) Even though he plays RG for the Rams, he worked out as a LG with the Browns which would allow Dotson to return to his natural RG position
2) Also has worked as a C, in case the Kendrick Green experiment continues to fall flat
3) Given the need at guard vs. need at tackle, tackle more expensive in FA
4) Allows the team to draft a tackle in the first if say Penning is there vs. deciding between Penning and maybe Green or Zion
5) also opens up other positions in the first if they decide to address DL, LB, CB and then a guy like Petit-Frere or Faalele in the second or third.

Northern_Blitz
03-09-2022, 04:39 PM
Take your time and rebuild properly, don't just paper over holes that you'll have to paper over in a year. Legit fill holes and for the others, see if your young guys grow into the position. Coach/scheme around holes that remain.

How do you fill like 9 open starting positions "properly" in one off season? Especially when one of them is QB (which I think we should basically just give up on this year).

C?
G
T
WR3
DE?
ILB (at least one)
CB (outside)
FS
QB

DT isn't a starter, but I think we need a heavy rotation with Alualu.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-09-2022, 04:42 PM
I like this idea for several reasons:

1) Even though he plays RG for the Rams, he worked out as a LG with the Browns which would allow Dotson to return to his natural RG position
2) Also has worked as a C, in case the Kendrick Green experiment continues to fall flat
3) Given the need at guard vs. need at tackle, tackle more expensive in FA
4) Allows the team to draft a tackle in the first if say Penning is there vs. deciding between Penning and maybe Green or Zion
5) also opens up other positions in the first if they decide to address DL, LB, CB and then a guy like Petit-Frere or Faalele in the second or third.
I saw some of this, but you pointed out a couple that I missed... He's been my guy all offseason, but damn if they didn't win the SB and likely up his value a little

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-09-2022, 05:11 PM
How do you fill like 9 open starting positions "properly" in one off season? Especially when one of them is QB (which I think we should basically just give up on this year).

C?
G
T
WR3
DE?
ILB (at least one)
CB (outside)
FS
QB

Funny enough, you do it the way that many have complained about - by bringing in lower salaried free agents. If you instead decide to spread it out over two years, you can address several positions this year between the draft and free agency, then again next year with a full complement of draft picks picks and even more cap space as more dead money disappears.

I love the myth of cap space, as if the number is what tells the whole story. $28M in space but which positions are the most expensive? QB, edge, WR, OT, CB. The Steelers have huge holes at 4 of those 5 positions.

Northern_Blitz
03-09-2022, 05:30 PM
Funny enough, you do it the way that many have complained about - by bringing in lower salaried free agents. If you instead decide to spread it out over two years, you can address several positions this year between the draft and free agency, then again next year with a full complement of draft picks picks and even more cap space as more dead money disappears.

I love the myth of cap space, as if the number is what tells the whole story. $28M in space but which positions are the most expensive? QB, edge, WR, OT, CB. The Steelers have huge holes at 4 of those 5 positions.

Yep.

I think we've been spoiled for a long time with Ben.

But rebuilding comes to all teams eventually.

Hopefully we can embrace the idea of a rebuild so that we can do it fairly quickly.

Iron City Inc.
03-09-2022, 07:06 PM

C?
G
T
WR3
DE?
ILB (at least one)
CB (outside)
FS
QB

You don't. I believe most of us realize this will take at least 2 drafts to turn this around. I'm okay with that. I would like to see us pick up f/a's that are younger cause it will take some time. I'm okay taking it down ,moving a few players and or trading back a bit n gaining an extra pick or two. Chess moves that will give us a chance to win in 24 or 25.

WindyCitySteel
03-09-2022, 09:23 PM
You don't. I believe most of us realize this will take at least 2 drafts to turn this around. I'm okay with that. I would like to see us pick up f/a's that are younger cause it will take some time. I'm okay taking it down ,moving a few players and or trading back a bit n gaining an extra pick or two. Chess moves that will give us a chance to win in 24 or 25.

Exactly. Make a splash Minkah or Bettis type move or two this year, get young guys who will be here for the next run, not just a bunch of ham and eggers to tick off boxes.

Let's say you're a Mormon and have to fill four wife slots. Do you go for four 5's, or two 10's and a couple 2's?

I'm going with the latter, you can hide the 2's in a variety of ways and the 10's will provide that All Pro performance you need. If you go with the former, every day is "meh".

Northern_Blitz
03-10-2022, 06:26 AM

I would also prefer young guys to old guys we'll just have to replace in a year or two.

Hope we'll have those options available

NorthCoast
03-10-2022, 07:35 AM
You don't. I believe most of us realize this will take at least 2 drafts to turn this around. I'm okay with that. I would like to see us pick up f/a's that are younger cause it will take some time. I'm okay taking it down ,moving a few players and or trading back a bit n gaining an extra pick or two. Chess moves that will give us a chance to win in 24 or 25.That gives you a two year window with Najee at RB before having to consider re-upping. That also puts Watt at the 30 yr threshold and likely Cam is done.

NorthCoast
03-10-2022, 08:15 AM
Listening to SNR about Colbert's modus operandi. His plan every year is to have a 'complete team of starters' signed in FA before the start of the draft. So to understand which positions will be targeted look at where we have no starters signed; RG, S, CB, WR#1. A QB is not a need with Rudolph on board but only a 'like to have'. Schobert is still signed as a starting ILB but you could argue at the least they need to restructure him (maybe the team doesn't even consider him a starter at this point?).

WindyCitySteel
03-10-2022, 08:19 AM
That gives you a two year window with Najee at RB before having to consider re-upping. That also puts Watt at the 30 yr threshold and likely Cam is done.

I think they can compete in '23 if they draft the right QB and hit on a couple picks and FAs in the next two Springs. Unfortunately, Najee will probably not be a big part of the next era of Steeler football.

WindyCitySteel
03-10-2022, 08:21 AM
Listening to SNR about Colbert's modus operandi. His plan every year is to have a 'complete team of starters' signed in FA before the start of the draft. So to understand which positions will be targeted look at where we have no starters signed; RG, S, CB, WR#1. A QB is not a need with Rudolph on board but only a 'like to have'. Schobert is still signed as a starting ILB but you could argue at the least they need to restructure him (maybe the team doesn't even consider him a starter at this point?).

Yup, a bunch of cheap, average to bad starters + rookies. I'm looking forward to the next GM, hoping he brings a fresh perspective.

NorthCoast
03-10-2022, 08:42 AM
Here's some free agents that might come from the bargain bin for our team. Everyone is super pricey, but here's a couple guys I think could be relatively cheaper than the rest and might be some good value targets for us.

Mark Glowinski - OG - Indy - 29 - $5-$6m/yr??? Seems like a solid run blocker. Could get some solid/quick interior Olinemen which could be a strength with Dotson, Green, and Glowinski assuming our guys come back strong. Then you could plug in Moore and Haeg on the outside and I think you'd have this unit serviceable albeit not perfect going into the draft.

Jayron Kearse - S - Dallas - 28 - $2-3m/yr??? Dallas had him on a 1 year, 1m contract and he can play in the box, makes tackles, makes plays in coverage. He's not the athletic freak like Edmunds but could be a much cheaper version who can potentially produce just as well at a fraction of the price.

Anthony Walker - ILB - Cleveland - 26 - $3-4m/yr??? Young guy you could plug in to replace Joe S for less than half the cost. Simply frees up money. Not sure if he's better?

I do worry some of these guys could be hot commodities with every team trying to save some money. And I'm not 100% sure any of them are better than what we've got. Jones intrigues me the most and with Tomlin's love of DBs and 1st round talent, he really feels like the guy we would target 1st.Maybe the Steelers have a look at Anthony Averett at CB? 3 INTs in 14 games last season and just now in his prime. And the best part.. you take one from Harbaugh.

feltdizz
03-10-2022, 09:25 AM
I think they can compete in '23 if they draft the right QB and hit on a couple picks and FAs in the next two Springs. Unfortunately, Najee will probably not be a big part of the next era of Steeler football.

lmao.. Najee is going to be around for a while unless he has a major injury that ends his career.

Its like fans want the Steelers to be something they aren’t. We usually keep our drafted players unless we have another player at the same position who is younger and a superstar.

Najee isn’t going anywhere. He just got here. smh

Northern_Blitz
03-10-2022, 09:30 AM

I think we should assume that we don't have a tackle (or an ILB like you mentioned here). I can't see them keeping Banner or Schobert at their current cap hits.

Maybe you're right and they restructure. But it's not like they were strengths on the team last year.

Northern_Blitz
03-10-2022, 09:33 AM
Yup, a bunch of cheap, average to bad starters + rookies. I'm looking forward to the next GM, hoping he brings a fresh perspective.

Huge signings of guys that played in other systems, but their team gave up on them because they weren't worth the next contact?

Those guys are awesome because they kill your cap AND they don't deliver on the field! :p

Kidding aside. I think it would be interesting to see what the hit rate of high priced UFAs is. My guess is that it's not great. Especially if you look at production across the whole length of the UFA contract they sign.

I don't think we'll have a dramatic shift in how we do business with a new GM. Just like Colbert doesn't run the team all that much differently than Tom D did.

WindyCitySteel
03-10-2022, 10:10 AM
lmao.. Najee is going to be around for a while unless he has a major injury that ends his career.

Its like fans want the Steelers to be something they aren’t. We usually keep our drafted players unless we have another player at the same position who is younger and a superstar.

Najee isn’t going anywhere. He just got here. smh

If he gets 400 touches the next two seasons he'll likely already be past his prime. He also got a ton of touches at Alabama.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-10-2022, 10:42 AM
I think we should assume that we don't have a tackle (or an ILB like you mentioned here). I can't see them keeping Banner or Schobert at their current cap hits.

Maybe you're right and they restructure. But it's not like they were strengths on the team last year.

Everybody loves Zack Banner. The guy came out of nowhere to win the starting RT spot in camp in 2020, Then he got injured and missed the season.

He was then supposed to return and start at RT in 2021. He got hurt again and was on the shelf the first 10 games of the season.

He then returned from injury, and this might be the most worrisome part. Despite how awful the line played last season, the supposed starter could not get back on the field. He played 15 offensive snaps in 7 games all year.

Maybe this is the year he returns, but no way you can take that chance at a $6.5M cap hit. I don't even think you bring him back regardless even if he is willing to take a cut. Wish him well and let him go for a fresh opportunity elsewhere.

Oviedo
03-10-2022, 10:51 AM
I would still try to restructure Schobert and eliminate a draft need

Same with siging Edmunds

Focus on OL/DL in this draft...maybe WR IF JuJu leaves

SteelBucks
03-10-2022, 10:54 AM

Same with siging Edmunds

Exactly this. This team would look completely different by improving in the trenches. You win upfront and we lost that battle more often than not last season.

Northern_Blitz
03-10-2022, 11:13 AM
Everybody loves Zack Banner. The guy came out of nowhere to win the starting RT spot in camp in 2020, Then he got injured and missed the season.

He was then supposed to return and start at RT in 2021. He got hurt again and was on the shelf the first 10 games of the season.

He then returned from injury, and this might be the most worrisome part. Despite how awful the line played last season, the supposed starter could not get back on the field. He played 15 offensive snaps in 7 games all year.

Maybe this is the year he returns, but no way you can take that chance at a $6.5M cap hit. I don't even think you bring him back regardless even if he is willing to take a cut. Wish him well and let him go for a fresh opportunity elsewhere.

This. I think he might be pretty close to done.

I assume that we'll give him the "you can play for the minimum or we'll cut you" treatment.

And even then, we probably need a tackle. Because I 100% agree that it's not a great look that he couldn't crack the line up after coming back last season.

Northern_Blitz
03-10-2022, 11:16 AM

Same with siging Edmunds

I agree on Edmunds.

But I'm not sure I want to run Schobert / Bush again next season. And we'll stick with Bush next season at least.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-10-2022, 11:53 AM

Same with siging Edmunds

I agree with Edmunds because we know that he fits into the Steelers' defensive system. The team can assess his value and offer him a contract for what they know he brings to the table based on 4 years of him being there.

With Schobert, here is a guy who you are asking to take a pay cut, who you haven't actually seen fit in. We can call it the fault of circumstances - playing behind a decimated DL and beside a guy who hasn't successfully returned from ACL surgery, but to me he is any guy who is a FA. I would not give him any more consideration than any other potential FA ILB. If he is still the guy who fits best then give him another shot, but would not jump at him before looking at all the options.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-10-2022, 11:55 AM

I do worry some of these guys could be hot commodities with every team trying to save some money. And I'm not 100% sure any of them are better than what we've got. Jones intrigues me the most and with Tomlin's love of DBs and 1st round talent, he really feels like the guy we would target 1st.
Can we throw in Avery Williamson at ILB instead of Walker?

SteelerOfDeVille
03-10-2022, 11:58 AM

I think banner stays as a reverse-cap casualty. If you cut him and save $5 mil, will you find anyone BETTER for $5 mil?

IMO, you keep him then draft a RT on one of the first 2 days... Often, you can find starter quality RT in the 2nd round.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-10-2022, 12:25 PM
I think banner stays as a reverse-cap casualty. If you cut him and save $5 mil, will you find anyone BETTER for $5 mil?

IMO, you keep him then draft a RT on one of the first 2 days... Often, you can find starter quality RT in the 2nd round.

Depends what you mean by better. For $5M I want someone who sees the field, Banner has not done that and I'm not willing to gamble $5M to find out if he does this year. I would re-sign Chuks for less than $5M, two or three year deal. You know that in a pinch he can start, but my ideal position for him would be backup swing tackle behind Moore and a draft pick. There seem to be several good tackle prospects who either played the right side or are athletic enough so that they should be able to play either side. You also have the possibility of trying again to let Moore adjust to the right, or keeping Chuks there if your draftee is that good on the left side.

WindyCitySteel
03-10-2022, 12:52 PM
Alex Kozora's wish list. I find the idea of Bridgewater depressing, even Alex admits that they're not a SB contender with him.

So why bother? That money could be used to land a star at another position.

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/03/steelers-2022-free-agent-wishlist-offense/

NorthCoast
03-10-2022, 01:49 PM
Huge signings of guys that played in other systems, but their team gave up on them because they weren't worth the next contact?

Those guys are awesome because they kill your cap AND they don't deliver on the field! :p

Kidding aside. I think it would be interesting to see what the hit rate of high priced UFAs is. My guess is that it's not great. Especially if you look at production across the whole length of the UFA contract they sign.

I don't think we'll have a dramatic shift in how we do business with a new GM. Just like Colbert doesn't run the team all that much differently than Tom D did.

DP talked about this the other day. Said 38% of FAs signed end up with equal or better stats than before their contracts. Not very good odds.

Northern_Blitz
03-10-2022, 01:54 PM
DP talked about this the other day. Said 38% of FAs signed end up with equal or better stats than before their contracts. Not very good odds.

Thanks Northcoast. You've often got real answers to the things I'm curious about

https://imgs.search.brave.com/vT6baK0drdpujt_NzpHpZ2iK7gW90s8G7va01R-Zypk/rs:fit:216:126:1/g:ce/aHR0cHM6Ly9tZWRp/YTEudGVub3IuY29t/L2ltYWdlcy9iZWRm/Y2Y2NDQ4MmRkMDJm/N2ZlMjcxY2I2ZWY1/ZGIzZi90ZW5vci5n/aWY_aXRlbWlkPTEx/MDQ2NDY0.gif

I think I probably would have picked a lower number just because so many big UFA contracts are older guys on the decline.

flippy
03-10-2022, 03:40 PM

Seems obvious FAs won’t work out.

Gotta learn a new system. Gotta integrate with new players. Not always clear if player was good or his team/system made him better.

Then there’s the fact your own team isn’t willing to pay for you and they know more about the player than anyone else. And the team that has enough money to afford you probably has that amount of money for a reason and it doesn’t speak to success.

Seems like most players that leave a Pittsburgh don’t work so well for other teams.

The fact that someone is available to another team tells me he wasn’t deemed good enough to resign early or tag.

The exception is probably guys that follow someone else (coach or player). Or a guy that goes for personal reasons like wants to be closer to family or something.

NorthCoast
03-10-2022, 05:08 PM
Depends what you mean by better. For $5M I want someone who sees the field, Banner has not done that and I'm not willing to gamble $5M to find out if he does this year. I would re-sign Chuks for less than $5M, two or three year deal. You know that in a pinch he can start, but my ideal position for him would be backup swing tackle behind Moore and a draft pick. There seem to be several good tackle prospects who either played the right side or are athletic enough so that they should be able to play either side. You also have the possibility of trying again to let Moore adjust to the right, or keeping Chuks there if your draftee is that good on the left side.Banner has exactly 307 offensive snaps in his 5 yr career. That's not even a half season. Time to say buh-bye.

Joel Buchsbaum
03-10-2022, 05:22 PM

All of those player will be going for more $ except for Golwinski.

Joel Buchsbaum
03-10-2022, 05:26 PM
The veteran free agents are all out there. None of them are what I consider good starters, but all are Better than Rudoplh. For the draft, watch the Saints who pick two spots before us.. Pickett could side right to us if the lints pass on him and not worth the Panthers high pick.

Steel Maniac
03-10-2022, 05:33 PM
The veteran free agents are all out there. None of them are what I consider good starters, but all are Better than Rudoplh. For the draft, watch the Saints who pick two spots before us.. Pickett could side right to us if the lints pass on him and not worth the Panthers high pick.

Don’t want Pickett.

steelerkeylargo
03-11-2022, 12:51 PM
Tim Settle-DT from Washington is a name we should be looking at. I know we liked him a bit coming out of Va Tech a few years back. He has played on a very stacked Wash DL and performed very well when given a chance. He is likely looking for a 1-2 year deal around 5M/YR where he can play a ton and get paid on his next contract. I would volunteer the Steelers to be his catalyst.

Steel Maniac
03-20-2022, 07:47 PM
Bengals picking up Collins is not good news.

hawaiiansteel
03-20-2022, 08:00 PM

wonder if we will still draft a QB high now that we have Rudolph, Haskins and Trubisky?

one of them would have to be cut.