ILB - Bush???
CB - ???, ???, Sutton
FS - Minkah
SS - ???

K - Boz
P - Harvin
LS - Kuntz
KR/PR - ???

Out of these, how many are really locked in and rock solid? RB1, TE1-3, DE1, OLB1-2, FS, CB3, and K, P, LS.

If we just look at O and D, that's 7 starters out of 22 slots to fill.

15 of 22 starters are unknown, subpar, etc.

Hopefully some can step up and play well. I'd say of the second tier of players, the most likely to have a chance to up their game and contribute meaningfully are Moore, Dotson (I'd probably move him to RG), Bush, and I'll suggest either Alualu or Tuitt is back and contributing, and either Green or Haeg pan out. That still gets us to 10-11 of 22 players still need to be identified and developed.

We've got about $29m to spend to get to 10-11 more legit starters + add in some key backups. That's in the neighborhood of $2m/player at the end of the day. If we let go of some guys like Tuitt, Joe S, and/or Banner to replace them, that adds a little more back, and maybe it gets our average available to $3m/player.

$3m/player added in FA isn't a lot. Some will get more. Some will get less. But Derek Watt is at about $5m/yr in cap. He's currently our 2nd biggest cap hit on O after Banner who's over $6m. Of our top 10 players against the cap, the only 2 on O are Banner and Watt. Is it a wonder our O is inept?

Signing any of our own players at reasonable deals - Edmunds, Spoon, and Juju will lock up a couple positions, but will eat into that $3m/player we have available. Even if we get those guys on average at $5m/year which is a low number, that will leave less than $2m/yr for other FAs and we still need 7-8 more guys.

Then consider if we really did go add a guy like Trubisky. That would eat the rest of our available cap and we'd have to make due with some of the ???s at various positions and hope we can hit in the draft and with UDFAs.

Paying too much for a questionable QB could put us right back at mediocre and not making any real gains as a team despite not having a huge amount of money tied up in a franchise QB. Does that get us anywhere? Makes me think there's no way we go in the direction of a Trubisky. (So we probably will now that I figured out it makes no sense)

The only positive could be a big bump in cap next year. So we could try to salvage this season and make it as good as we can and kick some of the problem down the road to the future.

Or do we bite the bullet this season and start cleaning up the balance sheet for future years to enable ourselves to be more competitive in 2-3+ years down the road.

I see why bad teams stay bad and get stuck. I also see why they may tank now for the long term benefit, but that's a dicey path too.

And in the midst of all this mess, we have a GM on the way out that has to want to leave behind a legacy. Why would Colbert be conservative at all? I would think he'd be motivated to go for broke and go all in cause this is his final hand no matter what.

Who knows where we'll go. It really is anyone's guess and I could see a million different scenarios and they all look hard.

Northern_Blitz
03-09-2022, 07:10 AM
Nice post Flip.

One of the problems with the open positions is that we don't have guys on the roster we can promote: CB, SS, NT, OG, WR3, ILB (I assume we cut Schobert... But maybe we just reduce him?), OT (I don't think we keep Banner where his cap hit is either)

I guess those are the positions we'll attack first in UFA.

But i don't think we'll get that many really good UFAs. Some of these guys will be our typical signings.

WindyCitySteel
03-09-2022, 08:14 AM
Nice post Flip.

One of the problems with the open positions is that we don't have guys on the roster we can promote: CB, SS, NT, OG, WR3, ILB (I assume we cut Schobert... But maybe we just reduce him?), OT (I don't think we keep Banner where his cap hit is either)

I guess those are the positions we'll attack first in UFA.

But i don't think we'll get that many really good UFAs. Some of these guys will be our typical signings.

Hopefully we re-sign Witherspoon. Also, drafted Johnson, Loudermilk, and Norwood last year and was told that we "filled holes". Time for them to step up if that's the case.

flippy
03-09-2022, 08:54 AM
Hopefully we re-sign Witherspoon. Also, drafted Johnson, Loudermilk, and Norwood last year and was told that we "filled holes". Time for them to step up if that's the case.

Some of these guys are going to end up with major playing time. Are they ready?

I liked some plays from Loudermilk and Norwood and both did more than I expected.

But are they really ready to step into a full time role? The answer in both cases could be yes, but there's no way to know if they'll step up/progress going into season 2. At best I'd expect them to contribute in packages but not be every down players.

WindyCitySteel
03-09-2022, 10:07 AM
Some of these guys are going to end up with major playing time. Are they ready?

I liked some plays from Loudermilk and Norwood and both did more than I expected.

But are they really ready to step into a full time role? The answer in both cases could be yes, but there's no way to know if they'll step up/progress going into season 2. At best I'd expect them to contribute in packages but not be every down players.

Every year the Steelers tell us they "filled holes" with their draft picks. 4th rounder on Buddy and traded up for Loudermilk, they'd better be more than part-time players and special teamers. Throw them in the fire and find out.

Northern_Blitz
03-09-2022, 11:08 AM
Every year the Steelers tell us they "filled holes" with their draft picks. 4th rounder on Buddy and traded up for Loudermilk, they'd better be more than part-time players and special teamers. Throw them in the fire and find out.

They are clearly always trying to fill holes with every player acquisition.

But I think you're maybe going a bit extreme there. I get that we must have thought that Loudermilk was something because we traded up to get him. And he looked like he can at least be a rotational guy from last year's performance. Probably not ready to be a starter though. Hopefully Tuitt comes back and Loudermilk can continue to develop.

IIRC, Norwood was drafted in the 7th to hopefully be an option at slot CB. He played about 1/3 of the snaps on D. So did Maulet. I don't think either is an outside guy, which is what we'll need. Either by resigning one of the guys we're losing (hopefully Witherspoon if we do this IMO) or by some other means.

feltdizz
03-09-2022, 11:33 AM
Fullback???? lmao

why would we need 2 of those?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-09-2022, 12:51 PM
Fullback???? lmao

why would we need 2 of those?

Because 3 would be too many.

WindyCitySteel
03-09-2022, 02:07 PM
Because 3 would be too many.

They're totally drafting Heyward's little brother.

SS Laser
03-09-2022, 04:38 PM
Wow, very interesting post and terrible truths. There going for sure to make deals and push cap into future years still .The covid cap last season and 1 yr deals with dead years I get more now. All the fancy cap gymnastics at work. I Wonder what the cap money would have been no covid. Boy what are the saints and others going to do with a already really bad cap number. The cap gymnastics should be interesting to see this off seasons.

NorthCoast
03-09-2022, 04:48 PM
Steelers have interviewed a half dozen CBs.....:mad:

given their ability to draft them I'm sad if this is a high pick

NJ-STEELER
03-09-2022, 11:04 PM
They're totally drafting Heyward's little brother.

that's as easy to guess as it is to say ViginiaMaryland