PDA

View Full Version : David DeCastro. Hall of fame?

Joel Buchsbaum
03-08-2022, 05:26 PM
2× First-team All-Pro (2015, 2017)
Second-team All-Pro (2016)
6× Pro Bowl (2015–2020)
Unanimous All-American (2011)
2× First-team All-Pac-12 (2010, 2011)
Career NFL statistics as of 2020
Games played: 125
Games started: 124

Guard are under represented. I say no but he will be in the nomination process. 40/60.

Northern_Blitz
03-08-2022, 05:29 PM
Seems really hard for OL to get in. If he does, it will be a pretty long wait I think.

Not sure if they look at college accolades for HoF.

I think DD is behind Pouncey who has a better chance if what they look for are AP nods and probowls. And I be that's most of what they look for when they talk about OL.

Pouncey:
2x AP 1st team All Pro
3x AP 2nd team All Pro
9x probowl

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PounMa20.htm

feltdizz
03-08-2022, 05:56 PM
No.. I doubt it.

feltdizz
03-08-2022, 05:58 PM
Seems really hard for OL to get in. If he does, it will be a pretty long wait I think.

Not sure if they look at college accolades for HoF.

I think DD is behind Pouncey who has a better chance if what they look for are AP nods and probowls. And I be that's most of what they look for when they talk about OL.

Pouncey:
2x AP 1st team All Pro
3x AP 2nd team All Pro
9x probowl

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PounMa20.htm

uh oh.. You never want DD behind Pouncey!

https://9b16f79ca967fd0708d1-2713572fef44aa49ec323e813b06d2d9.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.c om/1140x_a10-7_cTC/20191222mfsteelerssports13-1578602264.jpg

whisper
03-08-2022, 06:07 PM
No.. I doubt it.

It's the Hall of Fame, not "Hall of pretty good." DD was pretty good, not great. Litmus test is supposed to be "you changed the game while you played and the game wouldn't be the same without you." DD doesn't qualify.

hawaiiansteel
03-08-2022, 06:12 PM
It's the Hall of Fame, not "Hall of pretty good." DD was pretty good, not great. Litmus test is supposed to be "you changed the game while you played and the game wouldn't be the same without you." DD doesn't qualify.

naturalnews.com

whisper
03-08-2022, 06:16 PM
how is someone allowed to say something this inappropriate and disgusting to another poster on a freaking Steelers message board?

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
Your mother is an idiot; the best part of you ran down her leg the night of your conception in the backseat of that car in the trailer park. Hahahahahaha

Any time you want to drop this waaaaambulance sig would be OK with literally everyone in here.

hawaiiansteel
03-08-2022, 06:22 PM
Any time you want to drop this waaaaambulance sig would be OK with literally everyone in here.

you have to be a mental patient to read your favorite website:

naturalnews.com

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-08-2022, 07:06 PM
Let's compare to our most recent HOF Guard, Alan Faneca

2× First-team All-Pro (2015, 2017) Faneca 6x First team All-Pro
Second-team All-Pro (2016) Faneca 2x Secondteam All-Pro
6× Pro Bowl (2015–2020) Faneca 9x Pro Bowl
Unanimous All-American (2011)
2× First-team All-Pac-12 (2010, 2011)
Career NFL statistics as of 2020
Games played: 125 Faneca 206
Games started: 124 Faneca 201

Faneca was passed over several times, I think being inducted on his fifth year of eligibility. Just looking at the numbers I don't think they are close. Going by perception, during Faneca's career he was often considered one of the top two guards in the game along with Hutchinson. Decastro was always very good but never thought of in the same way.

I'd have to say that Decastro is very unlikely to make it.

Northern_Blitz
03-08-2022, 07:25 PM

Faneca was passed over several times, I think being inducted on his fifth year of eligibility. Just looking at the numbers I don't think they are close. Going by perception, during Faneca's career he was often considered one of the top two guards in the game along with Hutchinson. Decastro was always very good but never thought of in the same way.

This is a great comparison IMO.

The bar is really high.

BURGH86STEEL
03-08-2022, 07:43 PM
I don't think Decastro was a consistently dominating player. Simply put no.

passhappy
03-08-2022, 11:32 PM
no way..... Alan puts him to shame

Steel Maniac
03-09-2022, 12:19 AM
No. I don't think so.

hawaiiansteel
03-09-2022, 12:27 AM

good analyses.

agreed that it's unlikely he makes it.

phillyesq
03-09-2022, 12:06 PM

That's a great comparison. Faneca also had a key block springing Willie Parker for his TD in the Super Bowl.

If DeCastro had been on championship teams, he might have an argument, albeit not a great one. But with no rings, he has no chance at the HOF.

papillon
03-09-2022, 12:56 PM

How does an offensive lineman change the game? If you go by that metric there should probably be less than 10 offensive linemen in the HOF.

Mike Webster
Dermontti Dawson
Jim Otto
Art Shell
Anthony Munoz
John Hannah
Mike Munchak
Larry Allen
Bruce Matthews

Pappy

papillon
03-09-2022, 01:03 PM

That's comparing Decastro to two of the best guards, if not the two best guards during their time in the NFL. If you compare him to say Russ Grimm, Larry Little and Joe DeLamielleure he's in the conversation. I'm not making a case for or against DeCastro or whether or not Grimm, Little and DeLamiellweur belong, I'm just saying that he has comparable accolades to those players who are in the HOF.

Pappy

phillyesq
03-09-2022, 02:17 PM
That's comparing Decastro to two of the best guards, if not the two best guards during their time in the NFL. If you compare him to say Russ Grimm, Larry Little and Joe DeLamielleure he's in the conversation. I'm not making a case for or against DeCastro or whether or not Grimm, Little and DeLamiellweur belong, I'm just saying that he has comparable accolades to those players who are in the HOF.

Pappy

The big difference is that those guys were all part of something big. Grimm was one of the Hogs and had 3 SB wins in 4 appearance. Little on the 1972 Dolphins. DeLamielleure blocked for OJ. DeCastro was very good, and the mobility between DeCastro and Pouncey allowed the Steelers to do some unique things, but I just don't see him as a HOF guard. And I know you aren't saying that he is a HOF guy. But I think that's the big difference measuring him against those guys - the lack of a hallmark team accomplishment.

Northern_Blitz
03-09-2022, 04:25 PM

Pappy

But AF had to wait a pretty long time.

If DD gets in, his wait will be longer. And he's in the same eligibility class as MP (although maybe DD didn't file the papers until the following league year?). MP would get in first (if he gets in after a long wait). So DD would have to wait longer.

Captain Lemming
03-10-2022, 02:45 AM

Pappy

Actually DeCastro had lesser accolades than any of those names.

Oviedo
03-10-2022, 03:55 AM
No chance....