PDA

View Full Version : Could We Reach for a QB in Round 1?

flippy
03-08-2022, 09:00 AM
I know some who think any QB in this class could be a reach in round 1, but I'm thinking, if there's a run on QBs, would we panic and take someone.

Looking at the 19 picks ahead of ours, I've counted 9 teams that could consider a QB. Some more than others of course, but if someone picks someone early, it could cause a panic and QBs could start coming off the board.

Let's say a team like the Lions, Texans, Jets in picks 2-4 really fall for a QB. There's no clear and away top QBs in this draft, but the position has value so one of these teams just decides they think they need to take the chance on Willis for example at the #2-4 pick. Other teams might end up losing patience and think there's now an urgency to get their guy.

Could there be a chance that Willis, Pickett, Corral, Howell, and Ridder come off the board before we pick?

Would the Steelers have their sights so set on a QB that they panic and draft Carson Strong and tell us they had him graded as a 1st round talent and tell us his injuries are the only reason we got so lucky to land him?

That couldn't happen could it?

Or maybe there's 4 guys off the board and we're picking the 5th QB in round 1? That seems a little more likely.

Steel Maniac
03-08-2022, 09:30 AM
I don’t think we have to worry about reaching. By this point , I think Colbert pretty much knows how he’s going to attack this draft.

feltdizz
03-08-2022, 09:43 AM
I know some who think any QB in this class could be a reach in round 1, but I'm thinking, if there's a run on QBs, would we panic and take someone.

Looking at the 19 picks ahead of ours, I've counted 9 teams that could consider a QB. Some more than others of course, but if someone picks someone early, it could cause a panic and QBs could start coming off the board.

Let's say a team like the Lions, Texans, Jets in picks 2-4 really fall for a QB. There's no clear and away top QBs in this draft, but the position has value so one of these teams just decides they think they need to take the chance on Willis for example at the #2-4 pick. Other teams might end up losing patience and think there's now an urgency to get their guy.

Could there be a chance that Willis, Pickett, Corral, Howell, and Ridder come off the board before we pick?

Would the Steelers have their sights so set on a QB that they panic and draft Carson Strong and tell us they had him graded as a 1st round talent and tell us his injuries are the only reason we got so lucky to land him?

Or maybe there's 4 guys off the board and we're picking the 5th QB in round 1? That seems a little more likely.

I wouldn’t be mad if we gambled on Strong in the second rd.

I think we draft Corall if he is available in the first.

For some reason I feel like Colbert is going to try and get one last franchise QB before he retires. Even if he misses, I think the goal is to take a shot on one of these QB’s as an option or insurance.

flippy
03-08-2022, 09:58 AM
I wouldn’t be mad if we gambled on Strong in the second rd.

I think we draft Corall if he is available in the first.

For some reason I feel like Colbert is going to try and get one last franchise QB before he retires. Even if he misses, I think the goal is to take a shot on one of these QB’s as an option or insurance.

Thats the rub and why we could reach. Colbert has to get a guy before he leaves for the sake of his legacy.

He might not care, but I think 90% of GMs would. And that’s why I think it’s a little odd for him to have a draft before he heads out.

That also makes me think that maybe it’s a signal that Tomlin is running the show and he’s just there to help Mike.

Heck, I could see a scenario where Tomlin ends up being the GM and Flores ends up being our coach. Not likely, but why not?

papillon
03-08-2022, 10:27 AM
Thats the rub and why we could reach. Colbert has to get a guy before he leaves for the sake of his legacy.

He might not care, but I think 90% of GMs would. And that’s why I think it’s a little odd for him to have a draft before he heads out.

That also makes me think that maybe it’s a signal that Tomlin is running the show and he’s just there to help Mike.

Heck, I could see a scenario where Tomlin ends up being the GM and Flores ends up being our coach. Not likely, but why not?

This may not be the worst idea that I've heard. We get one of the best younger coaches and steadying influence in the front office and a new perspective on coaching the team which many on this board seem to want. This wouldn't be the worst idea that I've heard.

Pappy

Chucktownsteeler
03-08-2022, 10:30 AM

I think I mentioned this on the Flores thread a few weeks ago. In the S.D. today it does seem to mention Tomlin likes the activities surrounding G.M. I would be all for this move.

Also, as posted above Strong in the 2nd round wouldn't be all that bad. He may have the best arm and smarts of all te Q.B.s this year, it is his knee that is suspect.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-08-2022, 12:42 PM
I think I mentioned this on the Flores thread a few weeks ago. In the S.D. today it does seem to mention Tomlin likes the activities surrounding G.M. I would be all for this move.

Also, as posted above Strong in the 2nd round wouldn't be all that bad. He may have the best arm and smarts of all te Q.B.s this year, it is his knee that is suspect.

You were discussing Flores in the Flores thread? Nobody does that. :D

WindyCitySteel
03-08-2022, 12:49 PM
If they acquire a reclamation project (Trubisky, Mariota, Winston) they'd better not reach for a QB in round 1.

Personally, I don't think all of those QBs are going that early. Jordan Davis round 1, Ridder round 2 would put me over the moon.

Northern_Blitz
03-08-2022, 01:23 PM

I think Tomlin wouldn't be a good GM (if he was GM alone).

I think he's a coach at heart. Look at the Senior Bowl when he's out on the field working with kids...when it's the Jets team that's serving as coaches.

I have a feeling that being a coach under GM Tomlin would be terrible because I don't think he would be able to help himself and let the coach do the coaching.

feltdizz
03-08-2022, 01:35 PM

I don’t see the issue with Colbert doing one last draft before moving into a new role.

He has a timeline and it allows us to patiently find the next GM instead of rushing and having him draft immediately.

Iron City Inc.
03-08-2022, 02:35 PM
It may be for the first time in a long time with Ben gone the win right now idea may take a back seat. That could help us not reach to fill a hole ( not that we ever did that) and perhaps do a slight trade back to acquire an extra pick or 2 that is really needed this year.

Joel Buchsbaum
03-08-2022, 05:30 PM

Yes it could and the guy most likely to be on the board is Howell the draft best deep passer and player who made the most tacklers miss in Power 5 conference play since 2015.

I like Howell a lot 2 years ago, he disappointed some this year but lost a lot of talent in the draft the year before.

Northern_Blitz
03-08-2022, 05:39 PM
Yes it could and the guy most likely to be on the board is Howell the draft best deep passer and player who made the most tacklers miss in Power 5 conference play since 2015.

I like Howell a lot 2 years ago, he disappointed some this year but lost a lot of talent in the draft the year before.

Joel, do you think it's kind of a concern when a guy loses good players and his play drops?

On one hand, I think it's normal / what you'd expect.

But on the other, it seems like if they guy's a franchise QB it should be the QB that makes the WRs, not the WRs that make the QB.

feltdizz
03-08-2022, 05:55 PM
Joel, do you think it's kind of a concern when a guy loses good players and his play drops?

On one hand, I think it's normal / what you'd expect.

But on the other, it seems like if they guy's a franchise QB it should be the QB that makes the WRs, not the WRs that make the QB.

The reason Howell was a Heisman candidate was because everyone believed he would have to carry the team and he had the arm to do it.

He didn’t do it.. lol.

Doesn’t mean he can’t win in the NFL but its a concern to see a guy come up short when all eyes were on him.

Sword
03-08-2022, 06:05 PM
Yes we could reach but, no we shouldn’t.. our lines should be number one focus….