PDA

View Full Version : Let Ju Ju walk.

Joel Buchsbaum
03-06-2022, 01:41 PM
He's not worth what he's asking. 10m, pass. Give me the cap space and shop elsewhere. Can we get a comp pick of we lose him in free agency, or is that only for second contracts?

Northern_Blitz
03-06-2022, 02:15 PM
He's not worth what he's asking. 10m, pass. Give me the cap space and shop elsewhere. Can we get a comp pick of we lose him in free agency, or is that only for second contracts?

You get comp picks for any guy that leaves when his contract expires (vs being cut).

The question i see people asking was does this still count for voided contracts.

My understanding is yes. Voided contracts are not cuts and fits still go through the normal UFA process.

I think this came from a conversation between Dave at the Depot and Joel Corry (NFL agent... Maybe former agent?)

whisper
03-06-2022, 04:18 PM

Ju Ju hasn't had a season like his breakout season in 3 years, why should we expect him to now? He's clearly not a #1. But Colbert seems all excited about resigning him for some reason. Mistake.

Chucktownsteeler
03-06-2022, 04:28 PM
I’d like to see him stay. Brings some leadership and continuity.

BURGH86STEEL
03-06-2022, 04:41 PM
Again and again and again it isn't about the money per year for NFL contracts. NFL players contracts are structured based on different factors.

I hope the Steelers can work out a deal with Juju if he wants to return. He is a high quality player that can deliver high quality production. The Steelers know his character and he knows the Steelers as an organization.

Northern_Blitz
03-07-2022, 04:15 PM
Again and again and again it isn't about the money per year for NFL contracts. NFL players contracts are structured based on different factors.

I hope the Steelers can work out a deal with Juju if he wants to return. He is a high quality player that can deliver high quality production. The Steelers know his character and he knows the Steelers as an organization.

I don't think it makes sense for us to push cap money into the future at this point. I'd rather be eating that hit now (when we're going to be less competitive) and hopefully save up some room for the next few years (when we'll hopefully have a shot again).

And Juju probably won't have a long deal unless (i) someone really overpays or (ii) he is fine not being paid that much.

It doesn't make sense to teams to take a long term risk on him.

And I assume he believes that he's a lot better than what he's been able to show in the last three seasons.

And it's harder to move cap hits around for shorter contracts...especially since I don't think we'll be rushing out to sign more dummy contracts.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-08-2022, 05:40 PM
Chargers just signed Mike Williams to 3 years/$60M with $40M guaranteed. That certainly makes a statement about the WR market. Williams is good but is he top 5? Top 10? Definitely makes it smarter and easier to acquire a receiver in the draft vs. shelling out this kind of money.

feltdizz
03-08-2022, 05:48 PM
I don’t see anyone giving JuJu big money in FA.

I would take him back for $10M per but man, I don’t know. He hasn’t been impressive since AB left.

Northern_Blitz
03-08-2022, 05:49 PM
Chargers just signed Mike Williams to 3 years/$60M with $40M guaranteed. That certainly makes a statement about the WR market. Williams is good but is he top 5? Top 10? Definitely makes it smarter and easier to acquire a receiver in the draft vs. shelling out this kind of money.

I don't get why the WR market is so high.

Seems like there's always a lot of good WRs coming in from college.

But maybe having a marquee QB has spoiled me because Ben made lots of WRs look very good.

Eich
03-08-2022, 06:58 PM
I don’t see anyone giving JuJu big money in FA.

I would take him back for $10M per but man, I don’t know. He hasn’t been impressive since AB left.

I don't know that I'd say any Steeler WR has been overly impressive since AB left. Is that all because AB left, or because Ben went even farther downhill?

I certainly wouldn't break the bank for Juju but I think he brings leadership and toughness. He's Hines Ward II. Hopefully the shoulder injury is a thing of the past.

BURGH86STEEL
03-08-2022, 07:56 PM
I don't think it makes sense for us to push cap money into the future at this point. I'd rather be eating that hit now (when we're going to be less competitive) and hopefully save up some room for the next few years (when we'll hopefully have a shot again).

And Juju probably won't have a long deal unless (i) someone really overpays or (ii) he is fine not being paid that much.

It doesn't make sense to teams to take a long term risk on him.

And I assume he believes that he's a lot better than what he's been able to show in the last three seasons.

And it's harder to move cap hits around for shorter contracts...especially since I don't think we'll be rushing out to sign more dummy contracts.
Teams always push cap money forward. It's a loop hole in the NFL cap system. Just like adding dummy years are loop holes.

The Steelers shouldn't go into the season with the thought that they will be less competitive. They should attempt to sign the best players possible with the idea of competing to win games. Juju is a quality player that can help the organization continue to win games. He is only 25 years old. He probably has several high quality years left to produce at a high level.

The Steelers know Juju and Juju knows the Steelers. Business is business. So we shall see what happens.

whisper
03-08-2022, 08:08 PM
Teams always push cap money forward. It's a loop hole in the NFL cap system. Just like adding dummy years are loop holes.

The Steelers shouldn't go into the season with the thought that they will be less competitive. They should attempt to sign the best players possible with the idea of competing to win games. Juju is a quality player that can help the organization continue to win games. He is only 25 years old. He probably has several high quality years left to produce at a high level.

The Steelers know Juju and Juju knows the Steelers. Business is business. So we shall see what happens.

People are blinded how they remember their favorite players in their prime; his breakout season was 4 years ago. What's the guy done his last 3 years; that's the more realistic expectation, especially with a turd at QB.

2021 - 15 rec., 129 yards, 0 TDs
2020 - 97 rec., 831 yards, 9 TDs
2019 - 42 rec., 552 yards, 3 TDs

You want to spend $10-12 mill for 50 rec. and 4 TDs? No thanks.

feltdizz
03-09-2022, 07:58 AM
People are blinded how they remember their favorite players in their prime; his breakout season was 4 years ago. What's the guy done his last 3 years; that's the more realistic expectation, especially with a turd at QB.

Why would you include 2021 when he missed the majority of the season?

While I don’t think he is worth it, his average is more like 70 rec, 675 yards and 6 Td’s

hawaiiansteel
03-13-2022, 07:19 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220313/a998e0afccdbfeaaba381a95d8567078.jpg

Captain Lemming
03-13-2022, 09:21 PM

Juju for 10 million? I'd do that before DJ for 18 per.

If he does 40 over 4 years it will look like peanuts over time. I'd give him a pen and contract right now.

BURGH86STEEL
03-13-2022, 09:29 PM

Bro I am not blinded by anything. I understand that Juju is a young and experienced player that has several quality years left. Juju is a proven player at the NFL level. I think fans take consistently productive NFL caliber players for granted. I am not suggesting that Juju is a HOF caliber player. Juju has a place in the league. It can't be disputed. The keys will be what Juju and the market offers Juju.

I certainly hope that Juju returns the Steelers under a fair deal for both parties.

steeler_george
03-13-2022, 10:40 PM
just read steelers are close to resigning juju

Steel Maniac
03-14-2022, 12:19 AM
I hope not

hawaiiansteel
03-14-2022, 12:25 AM

can't find anywhere that says that, got a link?

Captain Lemming
03-14-2022, 12:31 AM

Not surprised if it happens.

Colberts comments about appreciating Jujus risking for the team in the playoff told me we will try to reward him for it.

“JuJu did a great comeback from the shoulder injury that he suffered and much to our surprise, he was available to us in the season in the playoff game,” Colbert said. We commend him for doing that, for putting his free agency thoughts aside and just trying to help us win a playoff game. We really take that into account and give him credit for having done that.”

I like it at the amount people are throwing out. I am concerned we might over pay to lock him early.

steeler_george
03-14-2022, 05:25 AM
can't find anywhere that says that, got a link?

I wish I would have saved it .... it was from some twitter read from Steeler Nation something, but I think it was the same tweeter that reported about Coward being signed to the steelers being over heard on that gaming site.

So ...

My take, he might be worth it we need as many vets on O as possible, eliminates a need, but we do need to get faster though at WR. Doesn't hurt our comp pick formula, and if brought back, I am sure the new contract might would include some of his dead money owed ( 5.6 M), and easy on this years cap, back loaded with bonus.

Northern_Blitz
03-14-2022, 05:51 AM

If he does 40 over 4 years it will look like peanuts over time. I'd give him a pen and contract right now.

If he does $10m, I think it will be short.

He's got to feel like he's been screwed by usage and injuries.

But I agree that 4 x $10m would be good for the Steelers

NorthCoast
03-14-2022, 07:21 AM

If he does 40 over 4 years it will look like peanuts over time. I'd give him a pen and contract right now.Agreed. Didn't Baltimore offer $9M + incentives? So that's his market I would say. And given the number of very good WRs in the draft I wouldn't pay him any more.

WindyCitySteel
03-14-2022, 07:24 AM
Agreed. Didn't Baltimore offer $9M + incentives? So that's his market I would say. And given the number of very good WRs in the draft I wouldn't pay him any more.

That was with a lower cap - I think he'll get a bigger offer today and bolt.

NorthCoast
03-15-2022, 04:35 PM
Guess the market isn't very strong for a logo-dancing WR;

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51941189670_d3c6e4aa27.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2n8Sb5W)Capture (https://flic.kr/p/2n8Sb5W) by R W (https://www.flickr.com/photos/191750946@N04/), on Flickr

feltdizz
03-15-2022, 04:46 PM

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51941189670_d3c6e4aa27.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2n8Sb5W)Capture (https://flic.kr/p/2n8Sb5W) by R W (https://www.flickr.com/photos/191750946@N04/), on Flickr

That’s messed up. He came back on a 1 year deal and that injury killed his chances of any type of real money.

Oviedo
03-15-2022, 04:48 PM
JuJu is more important than people give him credit for..."JuJu come home"

NorthCoast
03-15-2022, 05:03 PM
JuJu is more important than people give him credit for..."JuJu come home"Not when you can get a rookie on a much cheaper deal. Reality for Juju was the market was tepid for him, even last season. I like Juju but his numbers can be replaced cheaper.

Gotta think like a GM.

Chucktownsteeler
03-15-2022, 05:06 PM
Please sign JuJu. He is a good to great player and a better human. I'd sign him in a minute.

Ernie
03-15-2022, 05:43 PM
Would like to see us give Trubisky some proven weapons. Juju is a priority signing imo

Northern_Blitz
03-15-2022, 05:55 PM

And he hasn't had a good season in a while...

Hopefully we can get him cheaper than last year and not worry about WR for a bit.

But if I'm him and I can't get big money, I'm taking a short term deal on a team with a dynamic offense. I'm probably sick of being used to run RB routes.

Ernie
03-15-2022, 05:59 PM
And he hasn't had a good season in a while...

Hopefully we can get him cheaper than last year and not worry about WR for a bit.

But if I'm him and I can't get big money, I'm taking a short term deal on a team with a dynamic offense. I'm probably sick of being used to run RB routes.

You just said it in the last paragraph. I'd love to see what he can do with a new QB and scheme

T.Ferguson
03-15-2022, 06:19 PM
Would love to have him come back.

WindyCitySteel
03-15-2022, 06:21 PM
Sign Juju, draft Olave. Suddenly the offense is loaded with weapons.

SteelBucks
03-15-2022, 06:23 PM

I’m a Buckeye grad and would obviously love to get Olave. A burner with hands and good route running.

Ernie
03-15-2022, 06:26 PM

And an improved O-line (see Daniel's, Cole)

WindyCitySteel
03-15-2022, 06:35 PM
I’m a Buckeye grad and would obviously love to get Olave. A burner with hands and good route running.

Same.

If Canada and Mitch can't succeed with that cast, they never will.

Of course, this likely kills my Ridder dream, but maybe he'll slip to the 2nd.

whisper
03-16-2022, 10:54 AM
Same.

Ju Ju hasn't been a weapon since 2018. Why pay him as if he has? Pay him on how he has produced for the last 3 years: 4 TDs, 50 grabs.

Chucktownsteeler
03-16-2022, 10:57 AM

I've never fulling forgiven Olave for costing us the Clemson game. Dude broke off the route for no apparent reason and Fields thru the INT. where Olave should have been.

steeler_george
03-16-2022, 12:35 PM
Same.

For some reason I am on the Ridder dream too.
I really wonder if we can do a Ravens-Lamar Jackson draft... trade back get our man ( NOW I WANT OLAVE) and more draft picks, and then use those extra picks to trade up for Ridder.

Shawn
03-16-2022, 12:38 PM
Ju Ju hasn't had a season like his breakout season in 3 years, why should we expect him to now? He's clearly not a #1. But Colbert seems all excited about resigning him for some reason. Mistake. I've been saying JuJu is not a number one since day one. He's at best a 1b and realistically a strong 2. Is that worth 10 million a season? Clearly not. You can find plug and play WRs in the third round on the cheap.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-16-2022, 12:49 PM
I've been saying JuJu is not a number one since day one. He's at best a 1b and realistically a strong 2. Is that worth 10 million a season? Clearly not. You can find plug and play WRs in the third round on the cheap.
I disagree - if you're saying 1b or a STRONG 2 that makes for a really strong passing game. I'd say it's worth maybe a little more than $10M

whisper
03-16-2022, 01:01 PM
I disagree - if you're saying 1b or a STRONG 2 that makes for a really strong passing game. I'd say it's worth maybe a little more than $10M

His last three years stats tell the tale: avg 51 rec, 504 yrds, 4 TDs. Are those #s worth more than $10 mill? I'd say a 3rd round rookie could be expected to put those #s up, at a lot less than costing $10 mill a season. This isn't 2018 any more.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-16-2022, 01:18 PM
His last three years stats tell the tale: avg 51 rec, 504 yrds, 4 TDs. Are those #s worth more than $10 mill? I'd say a 3rd round rookie could be expected to put those #s up, at a lot less than costing $10 mill a season. This isn't 2018 any more.
in an offense that dinks and dunks up the field and SPECIFICALLY used him for short passes and crossing routes in short yardage. At his age, he hasn't lost a step (yet)... he just lost opportunities.

I think we'd seriously regret it if he landed with someone else.

feltdizz
03-16-2022, 01:26 PM
are you really counting his 5 games as a whole season?

I think a more honest approach is using 2019 and 2020. Even then JuJu was dealing with Mason and Duck in 2019.

70 catches, 691 yards, 6 TD’s

I think that is #2 WR stats and imagine if our offense was normal and not that 3 yard rub crap.

JuJu went from averaging 13 yards a reception in 2019 to 8 yards a reception in 2020.

Joel Buchsbaum
03-16-2022, 01:48 PM
in an offense that dinks and dunks up the field and SPECIFICALLY used him for short passes and crossing routes in short yardage. At his age, he hasn't lost a step (yet)... he just lost opportunities.

I think we'd seriously regret it if he landed with someone else.

All receivers will benefit from a QB with an arm and accuracy. Plus mobility to buy a second chance. Right now he's #3 option at WR and lacks big play ability, behind Claypool and Johnson We also have the emergence of Muth. Let him walk! He's not with 8-10 million a year. Nope nope.

feltdizz
03-16-2022, 02:05 PM
All receivers will benefit from a QB with an arm and accuracy. Plus mobility to buy a second chance. Right now he's #3 option at WR and lacks big play ability, behind Claypool and Johnson We also have the emergence of Muth. Let him walk! He's not with 8-10 million a year. Nope nope.

I’m on the fence. While I don’t think JuJu is a #1 he cam block, is tough as nails and is pretty dependable.

Is he really the third option in a Trubisky offense? Will DJ be the first option moving forward?

whisper
03-16-2022, 02:12 PM
are you really counting his 5 games as a whole season?

I think a more honest approach is using 2019 and 2020. Even then JuJu was dealing with Mason and Duck in 2019.

70 catches, 691 yards, 6 TD’s

I think that is #2 WR stats and imagine if our offense was normal and not that 3 yard rub crap.

JuJu went from averaging 13 yards a reception in 2019 to 8 yards a reception in 2020.

And some of the drop in average was due to him not being the same player he was in 2017-2018, not all of it was from a change in the type of passes he was thrown. For instance, how many short passes did he end up turning into long TDs post 2018? None. But he did so before. So it's not just the passes, it was also due to his diminished skills.

And as far as injuries costing him production...exactly. What's to say he won't continue getting injured as he has 2 out of 3 of the last 3 seasons?

Captain Lemming
03-16-2022, 02:22 PM
I’m on the fence. While I don’t think JuJu is a #1 he cam block, is tough as nails and is pretty dependable.

Is he really the third option in a Trubisky offense? Will DJ be the first option moving forward?

I agree. At the right price.
I really doubt DJ is with us beyond next season, if he is already making demands. Been there done that.

I think we want Juju to understand his real value and sign him which won't leave.the cupbard bare when DJ is gone.

I like Juju in a run centric offense.

Captain Lemming
03-16-2022, 02:25 PM
And some of the drop in average was due to him not being the same player he was in 2017-2018, not all of it was from a change in the type of passes he was thrown. For instance, how many short passes did he end up turning into long TDs post 2018? None. But he did so before. So it's not just the passes, it was also due to his diminished skills.

Well those TDs were when being hit in stride in a just right scenario.

You never saw a similar catch and.say, "if he were only faster that is a TD".

That Ben was dead in the past two seasons.

whisper
03-16-2022, 02:30 PM
Well those TDs were when being hit in stride in a just right scenario.

You never saw a similar catch and.say, "if he were only faster that is a TD".

That Ben was dead in the past two seasons.

To an extent, yes. But not 100% can be attributed to Ben not being the same QB. Some has to be on Ju Ju himself, and being injured all the time, which is part of the problem. We are not dealing with a 2017 or 2018 Ju Ju, and he should not be paid as such.

flippy
03-16-2022, 02:31 PM
I like Juju and think we regress without him. He's our only tough/physical WR. I'm not sold on DJ or CC long term yet.

Juju's a hybrid WR/TE and can work with Pat down the middle to open up the running game.

The kid has enthusiasm you cannot teach.

Go get a legit #1 and pair him up with Juju.

I'm not going to break the bank on Juju, but there's a reasonable number to keep him and he can add value and help the O move the chains and keep the D fresh.

whisper
03-16-2022, 02:34 PM
I like Juju and think we regress without him. He's our only tough/physical WR. I'm not sold on DJ or CC long term yet.

Juju's a hybrid WR/TE and can work with Pat down the middle to open up the running game.

I'm not going to break the bank on Juju, but there's a reasonable number to keep him and he can add value and help the O move the chains and keep the D fresh.

Keep him at what price?

Captain Lemming
03-16-2022, 02:34 PM
To an extent, yes. But not 100% can be attributed to Ben not being the same QB. Some has to be on Ju Ju himself, and being injured all the time, which is part of the problem. We are not dealing with a 2017 or 2018 Ju Ju, and he should not be paid as such.

There are 2 points. Whether we should sign him and whether he gets paid like a pro bowler.

I'm not concerned about the second scenario being a real issue.

Oviedo
03-16-2022, 02:37 PM

Totally agree...our offense suffered without JuJu last year. I want to keep him and would even overpay a little.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-16-2022, 03:35 PM
The two questions are:

1) Would you put JuJu on this roster?
2) Would you break the bank for him?

I'd say 1) yes 2) no

feltdizz
03-16-2022, 03:43 PM

And as far as injuries costing him production...exactly. What's to say he won't continue getting injured as he has 2 out of 3 of the last 3 seasons?

JuJu had a 76 yard TD in 2019. The problem is Mason couldn’t get him the ball.

2020 and 2021 who else turned a short pass into a TD? Its rare and hard to do because our offense basically made it
impossible.

feltdizz
03-16-2022, 03:46 PM
The two questions are:

I'd say 1) yes 2) no

There is no reason to break the bank on him. No one else is going to…

I would give him $8 to 10 mill per

flippy
03-16-2022, 03:49 PM
Keep him at what price?

Good question. I'd guess he's gotta end up in the $8-$10m/yr range.

That's not a bad deal for a #2 WR given his versatility in the passing game and the physical game and intangibles.

If you got him lined up with a #1 WR in the draft, you'd have a good combo that's fairly cost effective for the next number of years.

The fear I have is the WR market which could blow up. But I'm not sure Juju gets the crazy money and he's already shown a willingness to take a discount to stay in Pittsburgh.

Chucktownsteeler
03-16-2022, 04:19 PM
I would agree to keep JuJu and add a WR early in the draft (rounds 1 - 3). I don't think we have long term asperations with Claypool or DJ. They just don't seem to fit that Steeler WR mold.

Northern_Blitz
03-16-2022, 05:38 PM
The two questions are:

I'd say 1) yes 2) no

This.

I've read that there is less interest in him than there was last year. That's believable because he had another disappointing season.

If I could get him around that $9M - $10M we paid last year (including dummy part of the contract) for a few years, I'd do it.

It's a gamble because he hasn't been too productive in a long time.

But I think there are legit reasons (i) Mason/Duck, (ii) obsession with throwing short and Juju being our most reliable option, (iii) injuries.

I think it's a reasonable shot to take that he bounces back to around 1k yards and some tough TDs in the red zone.

Chucktownsteeler
03-16-2022, 05:43 PM
This.

I've read that there is less interest in him than there was last year. That's believable because he had another disappointing season.

If I could get him around that $9M - $10M we paid last year (including dummy part of the contract) for a few years, I'd do it.

But I think there are legit reasons (i) Mason/Duck, (ii) obsession with throwing short and Juju being our most reliable option, (iii) injuries.

I think it's a reasonable shot to take that he bounces back to around 1k yards and some tough TDs in the red zone.

Well for what it is worth and no matter who the players are I hope we don't rely on passes 4 yards behind the LOS on 3rd and 9s.

Shawn
03-16-2022, 07:10 PM
I disagree - if you're saying 1b or a STRONG 2 that makes for a really strong passing game. I'd say it's worth maybe a little more than $10M He isn't consistently a 1b. That's the issue. No one is game planning around JuJu like they did Brown.

Shawn
03-16-2022, 07:12 PM
This.

It's just too easy to replace his production with what we have and less money. We need D, lets put the money there. JuJu seems like a nice guy and all but he is inconsistent when it comes to production. If he wants to stay for 6-7 million ok. If not let him walk.

Northern_Blitz
03-16-2022, 07:19 PM
It's just too easy to replace his production with what we have and less money. We need D, lets put the money there. JuJu seems like a nice guy and all but he is inconsistent when it comes to production. If he wants to stay for 6-7 million ok. If not let him walk.

I wouldn't be upset if that's the way we go either.

Shawn
03-16-2022, 07:27 PM
I wouldn't be upset if that's the way we go either. There is a reason the NFL isn't biting at the bit to get him, He isn't the kind of explosive he was during his rookie season. He is having injury issues. He isn't a number one but wants number one money. I like him, I would like to keep him but only at the right price.

WindyCitySteel
03-17-2022, 09:58 AM
Read on Twitter that Juju has no market in part because he still has to periodically have his knee drained. Maybe he did come back too soon.

feltdizz
03-17-2022, 10:18 AM
There is a reason the NFL isn't biting at the bit to get him, He isn't the kind of explosive he was during his rookie season. He is having injury issues. He isn't a number one but wants number one money. I like him, I would like to keep him but only at the right price.

I’m sure he wants to get paid but have we heard he wants/expects #1 money?

I think coming off of a 5 game season he has to know his value is down.

NorthCoast
03-25-2022, 06:58 PM
So apparently the Steelers did offer a contract to juju, just not what he was looking for. Mom's a liar.

SteelBucks
03-25-2022, 09:36 PM
So apparently the Steelers did offer a contract to juju, just not what he was looking for. Mom's a liar.

Sounds like he didn’t want a multi year deal. A one year “prove it” deal could turn out well if he has a great season.

I’ve moved on. Time to upgrade the WR room.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-26-2022, 12:26 PM
I’ve moved on. Time to upgrade the WR room.

Exactly, the JJSS years in Pittsburgh are done. I wish him well except when it matters to the Steelers fortunes. Time to move on and find a WR or two.