PDA

View Full Version : Free agents on the radar

Iron City Inc.
03-05-2022, 07:02 PM
So we're heading to free agent shopping season. For a change we have some $ to spend. So who should we go after? Well lets talk offense first.

I would look at this first from the angle of where on offense are we the weakest. Qb , center , tackle and guard are all area's where new starters would be welcomed. Since I'm not sure yet which qb's are being signed or traded lets look OL.
The one guy I want is Bozeman the center from Baltimore. He played really well moving back to center in 21. He has NFL size 6 5 317. He is a day one starter here and creates a nice kick in the ars for the Ravens. He is athletic enough to pull (rare for a center but he did it in 21) and he doesn't just steer like Green. He has the ability to drive block as well as get to the second level. His overall game is above average. Superstar ???? NO. Big upgrade??? Yes. Cap hit will be significant but not huge and the dude is only 27.
For RT Orlando Brown if he does not get the franchise tag from the Chiefs would be a solid upgrade over Chucks. Brown is a mauler who is young n talented with good size. I do not believe he breaks the bank. If we liked Harris in 21 we'll love Harris with these 2 guys in front of him. .

Lets look at the other side of the ball. The angle is obvious. Corner is the need and that's because I believe Joe Haden who I respect and admire walks. Happy for him hope he wins a Super Bowl. But for us we know we can't draft one so lets take a shot at Jackson. Young corner who is sticky and gets his hands on a bunch of balls but doesn't draw a tone of hankies. He'll be expensive but high end corners in their prime are worth it. Has decent hands so should help us with some turnovers. A player who takes a weakness n makes it a strength.
2nd choice is a solid # 2 corner in Darious Williams. Ram 2nd corner is only 5'9 but is fast n quick change of direction guy who turns 28 later this month. A upgrade for us that won't be that cheap , a guess at 9 mil per, but he could start day 1. It's rare I like anyone who is not big n physical but again our history of drafting here makes me take a shot at filling a hole with the f/a.
In house I would like to see JJSS stay. Not sure how I could convince him to play for us if KC is making a decent offer but I just like him because he can play inside n out and blocks well n I believe Harris would benefit with him on board along with the 2 f/a's mentioned above. He's only 25 as well so his best days are imho the next 5 years or so so lets hope he wears the B & G.
Now there are many f/a's out there so it could play out many ways. I'm not so sure we wouldn't be better off with a qb from the 23 draft as there are a few really high end qb's in that draft. I doubt we wait on a qb but if we did I would be okay with it.

Buzz
03-05-2022, 07:19 PM
I like the move to get Bozeman. Instant help. I think Brown gets the franchise tag, and we go after someone else at T.

Can't see us ponying up what Jackson will demand at CB, even with the cap space we have this year. Wouldn't mind Williams as a #2.

Have my doubts that we'll try that hard to keep JJSS. I'd love to see him stay, but I think he'll be looking for bigger $$$$ than we'll want to pay him.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-05-2022, 09:25 PM
As much as we all are screaming for a C, I don't think the team gives up on Green. Remember, this is a team that doesn't give up on players/coaches easily. He never should have been forced to start last season and the only reason he was a starter was because of the organization's failure. They drafted Green as a project and IMO they go to camp with it being his job to lose.

I also believe that this is the draft to go after a tackle. There are several outstanding prospects, one of whom can fall. If there is a rush on QBs as often happens, and if some of these other combine studs sneak up, perhaps a Penning is available at 20. Plug and play day one opposite Moore.

That could leave the D and WR to FA. JC Jackson would be outstanding. Not the organization's typical type of move but having so much space is also not typical. I also see them retaining (or giving it their best shot) Spoon and Edmunds on pretty reasonable deals. I see them going after him but being outbid by someone who goes big. Next tier down would be guys like Charvarius Ward, Darious Williams, Levi Wallace, Vernon Hargreaves, Sidney Jones - all under 30, mostly under $10M/yr, and some with early round pedigree who did not live up to draft status (Steelers love those guys).

I think the next move is a younger or cheaper (or both) backup edge rusher. I know Melvin Ingram is a FA, and knows the system, but maybe we pass there ;).

The team will also have to land a receiver in FA. The only NFL receivers under contract are Claypool and DJ. Even if you draft a receiver high you will still need to dip into FA. Will that be for JJSS and Ray Ray? I don't know but a lot of talent out there this year. My guess is that they go after one middle type of WR and a second day in the draft. I could see the FA being someone like JuJu, Valdes-Scantling, Gallup, Zay Jones. 28 or under and probably no more than $10M/yr or huge guarantee.

I think the other type of player they target is a versatile interior lineman. Someone brought in to play guard, but who can also play center. I know I mentioned Green being the presumptive starter, but here is someone to step in if he doesn't grab hold of the job without him being brought in to specifically take the job. Guys like Billy Price and James Daniels.

Note one thing on all FA signees, I don't think I've mentioned one guy over 28. I would stick by my guns of no commitments long term to anyone who I don't think is still contributing by 2024.

flippy
03-05-2022, 10:19 PM
With so many FAs, I think the team sits back patiently outside of a QB they might want to consider.

See how the rest shakes out and what quality guys are left at relatively good prices. We just need so many pieces.

SteelerMaine83
03-06-2022, 09:33 PM
Bozeman as C and Morgan Moses as RT. Charvarious Ward as CB to pair with re-signed Witherspoon and Edmunds in the secondary.

Sets us up well for the draft and probably doable with our cap space.

Chucktownsteeler
03-06-2022, 10:14 PM
Looks like Trubinsky may command $15 million a season. Not sure I’d go there at that price.

hawaiiansteel
03-12-2022, 02:07 AM
I would definitely love to sign Goldman, he lived in our backfield when we played the Bears.

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

After trade attempts, the #Bears are releasing starting NT Eddie Goldman, source said. He is only 28 years old and will have a nice market.

https://twitter.com/jpafootball/status/1502471887678586883?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcam p%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

SS Laser
03-12-2022, 02:35 AM
I would definitely love to sign Goldman, he lived in our backfield when we played the Bears.

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

After trade attempts, the #Bears are releasing starting NT Eddie Goldman, source said. He is only 28 years old and will have a nice market.

https://twitter.com/jpafootball/status/1502471887678586883?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcam p%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

There should be more then normal I think of cap cuts etc this off season. Any chance to start a thread of them together instead of in a bunch of other threads?

WindyCitySteel
03-12-2022, 09:27 AM
With so many FAs, I think the team sits back patiently outside of a QB they might want to consider.

See how the rest shakes out and what quality guys are left at relatively good prices. We just need so many pieces.

I hope they're breaking their mold of mediocrity this year and making a couple splashes. We don't need to a bunch of average 1-year rentals, we need star talent.

Unfortunately, the longer they go without clearing cap space with easy restructures and extensions, the more it points to you being right. We'll be putting a lot of average, backup caliber players into starting roles and declaring holes "filled".

NorthCoast
03-13-2022, 08:51 AM
They looked into Cox during the season after Alualu went down. I think he would cost too much even though he's still playing at a fairly high level;

REPORT – Steelers Attempting Trade For Fletcher Cox
Philadelphia Inquirer
by Justin McGonigle, OwnerMarch 12, 2022

The Pittsburgh Steelers need defensive linemen. The Philadelphia Eagles have some good ones, including former Steeler Javon Hargrave. But they also have 6 time Pro Bowler Fletcher Cox. Reports at the trade deadline last season were that Cox was available, but no one wanted to give up a third round pick in exchange.

Now it appears the Eagles are fielding calls for the veteran again, and the Steelers are again involved.

#Eagles receiving lots of interest for 6x Pro Bowl DT Fletcher Cox. League sources say #Bills, #Steelers and #Chargers all interested (#Cardinals aren’t due to lack of money).

Trading Cox would mean a $40M dead cap charge for Philly, so the return would have to be substantial.

— Jordan Schultz (@Schultz_Report) March 12, 2022

Cox wound up starting 16 games last season and finished the year with 35 tackles, 3.5 sacks, two forced fumbles, and a fumble recovery. He added three tackles in the Eagles’ playoff loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Recently the Steelers brass said that Stephon Tuitt had shown interest in returning to football, but there’s been no indication of when they will happen. It still might not happen.

Landing a player of Cox’s caliber might be more costly at this point of the year than it was at the trade deadline. It’s reported that Cox would cost the Eagles $40 million in dead cap space if they unload him now.

The Steelers don’t have a lot of draft picks available to trade this season, but they could deal one of their future picks in 2023.

Terrapin
03-13-2022, 09:21 AM
We'll sign a few bargain bin depth guys, but nobody of any relevance. #thesteelerway

Iron City Inc.
03-13-2022, 10:28 AM
We'll sign a few bargain bin depth guys, but nobody of any relevance. #thesteelerway

I don't blame anyone for being skeptical about this aspect. However I can't ever recall us having this type of $$$ available to us. I've read its apx 28.5 million. We're in the top 10 regarding this. We still need to spend wisely but we need to nail down a few real good starters.
Cleveland just made a good trade to get better. Baltimore n Cinn are already playoff quality teams. And for those who don't think we need an upgrade at center can u imagine if baltimore or cleveland draft Jordan Davis!!! OUCH.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-13-2022, 12:59 PM
As much as we all are screaming for a C, I don't think the team gives up on Green. Remember, this is a team that doesn't give up on players/coaches easily. He never should have been forced to start last season and the only reason he was a starter was because of the organization's failure. They drafted Green as a project and IMO they go to camp with it being his job to lose.

My expectation is that they hedge their bets and find another versatile o-lineman who has played C in the past... Zion Johnson played some C during Senior Bowl week - if they don't get their QB, THIS will be the logical pick in the 1st round.

I also believe that this is the draft to go after a tackle. There are several outstanding prospects, one of whom can fall. If there is a rush on QBs as often happens, and if some of these other combine studs sneak up, perhaps a Penning is available at 20. Plug and play day one opposite Moore.
I think you could get a good RT in the second

whisper
03-13-2022, 02:16 PM
I like the move to get Bozeman. Instant help. I think Brown gets the franchise tag, and we go after someone else at T.

Can't see us ponying up what Jackson will demand at CB, even with the cap space we have this year. Wouldn't mind Williams as a #2.

Have my doubts that we'll try that hard to keep JJSS. I'd love to see him stay, but I think he'll be looking for bigger $$$$ than we'll want to pay him.

Why is everyone so high on Ju Ju? what's he done the last 3 years? And he's not like some incredible leader. If anything, he is so so on the leadership front.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-13-2022, 03:40 PM
My expectation is that they hedge their bets and find another versatile o-lineman who has played C in the past... Zion Johnson played some C during Senior Bowl week - if they don't get their QB, THIS will be the logical pick in the 1st round.

I started another thread where I target 4 players in FA with just this versatility. All 4 are under 28 as well - James Daniels, Austin Corbett, Billy Price, Bradley Bozeman.