PDA

View Full Version : new offense- position fit

steeler_george
04-20-2021, 06:16 AM
I keep reading articles that suggest this player X fits in with what the Steelers like to do on offense.

They like run 2 TE sets.
They like bruising backs.
They like having a bell cow at RB.
They love running behind Decastro.
They like etc and etc...

But with Canada on board, do the still like the above.

Are they going to run more spread offense with 3-4 receivers? ( less need of TE)
Are they moving to more RBC, would taking a 1st round RB be a waste? Take 2 RB in later rounds ( Sermon, Evans, Hill, Mitchell)
Are they going to run more on the outside? ( Puts higher priority in solidifying our OT... Jenkins in the 1st?)

Just some thoughts on trying to predict the draft.

flippy
04-20-2021, 06:38 AM
I keep reading articles that suggest this player X fits in with what the Steelers like to do on offense.

They like run 2 TE sets.
They like etc and etc...

Are they going to run more spread offense with 3-4 receivers? ( less need of TE)
Are they moving to more RBC, would taking a 1st round RB be a waste? Take 2 RB in later rounds ( Sermon, Evans, Hill, Mitchell)
Are they going to run more on the outside? ( Puts higher priority in solidifying our OT... Jenkins in the 1st?)

I suspect Canada has minimal say/impact in all of this.

It’s not like the Steelers are going to all of a sudden defer all decisions about the team to a new OC that hasn’t proven his coaching chops or system at the NFL level.

What if we got all the guys that Canada wants abs then he fails miserably and we’re left with a bunch of guys that we’re drafted because they fit into this failed system.

I suspect the Steelers stick to their historic trends. If there’s 2 comparable players at the pick, they’ll likely ask Canada for his input (best case for him) and we’ll end up drafting D anyway.

flippy
04-20-2021, 06:41 AM
Good thought though. I consider how players will fit into this new Canada system which I’m mostly just guessing what it will be at this point.

Then I revert back to great coaching adapts to maximize the talent on the team. I hope Canada is the kind of coach that doesn’t force a system, but creates the system to the strengths of the guys he has.

steeler_george
04-20-2021, 06:56 AM
Yeah I understand what you mean, but if players don't fit in the sytem, what is the point of running that system? And what was the point of the biggest move they made in the offseason, moving on from ( sheesh I can't even think of his name, have that nightmare deeply hidden in my mind.) and move to Canada who wants to move us to a modern football system.

Chadman
04-20-2021, 11:31 AM
I’ve wondered this myself. The difference between a historical Steelers pick and a Matt Canada Offense pick don’t have to be light years apart, setting the franchise back 10 years if it doesn’t work out. For example, historically the Steelers would probably favour Najeh Harris over Ettienne. But in Canada’s more open system, Ettienne might be the better fit. If Canada goes, is Ettienne useless to all incoming co-ordinations? Doubtful. The needs of the team remain the same, OT, OC, RB, CB etc. But, I would imagine that the system that the new co-ordinator wants to use may require shifting the balance on selections slightly. OT over OC. Or faster RB over powerful RB.

NJ-STEELER
04-20-2021, 07:10 PM
i'm thinking more of a Canadian :) spread offense with the defense in constant Nickle or dime might bode well for a 230 lbs harris lining up in the backfield

Steel Maniac
04-20-2021, 07:58 PM

They like run 2 TE sets.
They like etc and etc...

It's to be determined.

hawaiiansteel
04-20-2021, 08:13 PM
YAnd what was the point of the biggest move they made in the offseason, moving on from ( sheesh I can't even think of his name, have that nightmare deeply hidden in my mind.)

it's okay, no need to ever have his name mentioned again.

raycafan
04-21-2021, 09:54 AM
There is a big cloud in all this, Ben, and how much he can deliver if he has to move or heaven forbid take a direct snap then move.

BURGH86STEEL
04-21-2021, 09:59 AM
There is a big cloud in all this, Ben, and how much he can deliver if he has to move or heaven forbid take a direct snap then move.
Ben is already molded. He probably wouldn't perform his best with to much change.

Steel Maniac
04-21-2021, 10:21 AM

Is Ben going to play more under center this season?

whatever
04-21-2021, 01:14 PM
Are there really players in this draft that are dramatically different from one to the other?
Other than an immobile pocket passer compared to a fast option only qb, I don’t think so.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-21-2021, 05:36 PM
Is Ben going to play more under center this season?

If he does I hope that it is not strictly run play when he is.

hawaiiansteel
04-21-2021, 05:44 PM
If he does I hope that it is not strictly run play when he is.

Matt Canada prefers the "pistol offense" where the QB lines up 4 yards behind the line of scrimmage with a RB behind him. Canada claims any run done from under center can be done out of this pistol formation.

when Mike Munchak was here he was a big proponent of it.