PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers Pre-Free Agency Rumor Roundup

hawaiiansteel
03-02-2021, 06:06 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers Rumor Roundup: Pre-Free Agency Edition

Checking in on the gossip surrounding the Pittsburgh Steelers

By Michael_Beck@MichaelBeck56 Mar 2, 2021

With the start date of the 2021 NFL league year just around the corner, a number of Steelers rumors are beginning to pop up. While outside unrestricted free agents are still not allowed to be tampered with, the Steelers have a lot on their plate to accomplish in house. With help from ESPN insider Jeremy Fowler dropping an arsenal worth of news bombs, we can see the skeleton of the Steelers offseason begin to take shape.

Without further adieu, I present you with the leading rumors surrounding the Pittsburgh Steelers:

How close were the Steelers to signing J.J. Watt?
The Pittsburgh Steelers indeed place a call into J.J. Watt’s representatives. They may even have been one of the final five teams which J.J. was considering. However, because of dollar amount the Steelers could never come close too, a competitive offer was never submitted.

Add on the Steelers philosophical beliefs about signing defenders in their thirties to big money deals, and it was suspected the Steelers would not have been in the conversation in a normal league year.

When can we expect a Ben Roethlisberger extension?
As early as this week. Both Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers want to get a deal done. However, Fowler believed he would be unwilling to make a pure pay-cut. Instead the ESPN analyst suggested they may agree to a deal with dummy ‘void’ years attached to it. A deal of that structure would be the first of its kind for the Steelers.

What will the Steelers do at quarterback beyond 2021?
Fowler believes everything is still on the table. From drafting someone within the next two years, or signing a free agent anything could happen. However, he did go on to say Mason Rudolph is still highly looked upon by those in the organization and he could very well receive an extension come next offseason.

Will the Steelers re-sign Bud Dupree or JuJu Smith-Schuster?
Reports suggest Bud Dupree is ahead of his ACL rehab schedule. Fowler scoffed at the idea he would return to Pittsburgh on a one year deal. Dupree is going to command a big ticket offer and one the Steelers will have no chance of sniffing. They may still make an offer out of courtesy but Dupree is not expected back in the Steel City. Fowler also pointed at a future T.J. Watt extension surpassing $28 million per year as a reason the Steelers may be unwilling to offer a big time offer.

JuJu Smith-Schsuter on the other hand could still return to Pittsburgh after the club lets him explore the free agent market. If a deal isn't available for the 24 year old receiver the Steelers could swoop back in and retain the former pro bowler.

What’s going on with the corners?
Fowler expects both Joe Haden and Steven Nelson to be back in black and gold in 2021. Both could also sign extensions to lower their cap hit. In Haden’s case, he is so highly respected within the locker room that Fowler would be ‘mildly surprised’ if the Steelers decided to part ways with him.

As for Mike Hilton, Fowler thinks the nickel corner priced himself out of the Steelers’ range and will receive more money elsewhere. Cameron Sutton is the wildcard who the Steelers could bring back on a smaller hybrid player type deal.

How high will the Steelers draft a running back?
Fowler doesn't see the Steelers bucking the trend of searching for running backs in the middle rounds. Noting the teams ability to dig up Le’Veon Bell and James Conner in these slots in the past. However, if the Steelers really fell in love with a player they might go running back in the first round.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2021/3/2/22308772/steelers-rumor-roundup-pre-free-agency-pittsburgh-ben-roethlisberger-watt-haden-juju-hilton-dupree

Chucktownsteeler
03-02-2021, 06:37 PM
Good post, thanks for sharing.

NorthCoast
03-03-2021, 01:41 PM
Was just thinking; the new league year starts Mar. 17th and teams need to be cap compliant at that point. But, the league has yet to release the final cap number. So do teams start releasing guys to hit the $180 floor, or wait until the last minute for the final number?

Northern_Blitz
03-03-2021, 01:46 PM
Was just thinking; the new league year starts Mar. 17th and teams need to be cap compliant at that point. But, the league has yet to release the final cap number. So do teams start releasing guys to hit the $180 floor, or wait until the last minute for the final number?

I feel like they'll have to release the number sometime in the next week.

Even though I'm sure all teams have plans A - Z, they'll have to execute those plans eventually.

I also wonder how much more information teams have than the general public.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-03-2021, 02:13 PM

you would think that the league would have to give the teams at least a couple of weeks with the number. If it does not come out this week I would not be surprised if they don't push back the start of the year to give them a bit more time to make their moves. I would not be at all surprised if there is some negotiating going on right now either betweens the teams or between the teams and the PA in order to squeeze a few extra bucks on top of the cap. How about something like increasing the cap by another $10M in 2021, but lower it by $1M each of the next ten years once the market rights itself. Or maybe some kind of exemption that allows a veteran on a long term deal to put the team over this year, but that money will have to be deducted in future years. That will save many veterans from the bloodletting that may be coming.

hawaiiansteel
03-03-2021, 03:40 PM
Dianna Russini
@diannaESPN

Just texted with an NFL head coach about the upcoming cuts and what he expects…

“It’s going to be a massacre next week all around the league”

https://twitter.com/diannaESPN?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetemb ed%7Ctwterm%5E1367152449631485957%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwco n%5Es1_&ref_url=

Northern_Blitz
03-03-2021, 03:49 PM
Dianna Russini
@diannaESPN

https://twitter.com/diannaESPN?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetemb ed%7Ctwterm%5E1367152449631485957%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwco n%5Es1_&ref_url=

Seems like it would be a good year to have a bunch of cap space :(

NorthCoast
03-03-2021, 04:58 PM
Seems like it would be a good year to have a bunch of cap space :(Could be a year where a one hit wonder wins the SB.....

https://www.rollingstone.com/wp-content/uploads/1999/05/5ihh1soz.jpg?resize=1800,1200&w=450

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-03-2021, 05:02 PM
Dianna Russini
@diannaESPN

Which is why I have thought (hoped) that there would be some sort of agreement. The massacre would mostly effect those older, higher ticket players who you would think have a bit of influence.

Joel Buchsbaum
03-03-2021, 05:19 PM
With limited cap space and 21 free agents, I'm expecting teams for go Friday the 13th on us. It will take two very good overall drafts for the Steelers to replace who they are about to lose.

I say, best to take your lumps now and get the max amount of comp picks to re-load in 2022. Colbert and Khan need to put on their best poker faces and drive the price up for those we are likely to lose so they get paid and we get the high comp pick.

NorthCoast
03-03-2021, 05:24 PM
Could be a year where a one hit wonder wins the SB.....

https://www.rollingstone.com/wp-content/uploads/1999/05/5ihh1soz.jpg?resize=1800,1200&w=450

The Jacksonville Jaguars, New York Jets and New England Patriots are the only teams that project to have at least $50 million in space to acquire players this offseason.

Or else Belichik yet again fleecing the NFL :mad::

Steel Maniac
03-04-2021, 01:09 AM
And Bellichek gets players back who opted out because of Covid.

hawaiiansteel
03-04-2021, 01:12 AM
And Bellichek gets players back who opted out because of Covid.

you're such a Belichick ball washer, maybe you should become a Cheatriots* fan once again.

just because they didn't win a Super Bowl last season doesn't mean you should jump off their bandwagon. :roll:

Northern_Blitz
03-04-2021, 07:11 AM
you're such a Belichick ball washer, maybe you should become a Cheatriots* fan once again.

just because they didn't win a Super Bowl last season doesn't mean you should jump off their bandwagon. :roll:

Many of us have been saying that the Pats are going to be in a strong position this off season.

I think it will be interesting to see if BB can keep his hard ass culture without a great QB who buys into it 100% (assuming that happens).

Just like it will be interesting to see Tomlin without Ben.

NorthCoast
03-04-2021, 08:54 AM
Some team with money is going to get very, very lucky this off-season. Looking over this list is like reading the game program for an all-star game:

https://sports.yahoo.com/2021-nfl-free-agent-tracker-220638369.html

(btw, I see Artie Burns is available in case we lose out on Sutton....:D)

NorthCoast
03-04-2021, 09:37 AM
With limited cap space and 21 free agents, I'm expecting teams for go Friday the 13th on us. It will take two very good overall drafts for the Steelers to replace who they are about to lose.

I say, best to take your lumps now and get the max amount of comp picks to re-load in 2022. Colbert and Khan need to put on their best poker faces and drive the price up for those we are likely to lose so they get paid and we get the high comp pick.

Steel Maniac
03-04-2021, 11:04 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-the-economic-realities-of-a-lower-2021-salary-cap-why-well-see-more-surprising-cap-casualties/

hawaiiansteel
03-04-2021, 12:31 PM
Some team with money is going to get very, very lucky this off-season. Looking over this list is like reading the game program for an all-star game:

wow, that really is a heckuva list.

can you imagine what this list is going to look like in less than two weeks?

Northern_Blitz
03-04-2021, 01:07 PM

I get that you're joking, but I won't be surprised if "the other AB" comes back on a minimum deal. We will need help at CB and he'll be cheap. And while he wasn't worth a big contract, he'd probably out play a minimum deal.

hawaiiansteel
03-05-2021, 05:37 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EvuMpxsVgAQxeyl?format=png&name=small

NorthCoast
03-05-2021, 06:45 PM
I get that you're joking, but I won't be surprised if "the other AB" comes back on a minimum deal. We will need help at CB and he'll be cheap. And while he wasn't worth a big contract, he'd probably out play a minimum deal.I just threw up in my mouth a little bit....

Steel Maniac
03-06-2021, 11:06 AM
Tomlin’s hand picked choice ( AB) :rolleyes:

The constant reminder how the Bengals snipped us that year by taking Willie Jackson before our pick.

hawaiiansteel
03-06-2021, 12:19 PM
Tomlin’s hand picked choice ( AB) :rolleyes:

so Colbert didn't have anything to do with the selection of Artie Burns?

does Colbert only pick the good ones while Tomlin is responsible for all of the bad ones? :roll: