PDA

View Full Version : Getting to know 2021 Steelers draft prospect Nick Bolton with SKL

steelerkeylargo
02-28-2021, 09:38 PM
Hey gang. As many of you know this is the time of year I go from observing to posting. I usually will take a behind the scenes look at a bunch of guys that should be on the Steelers radar (although admittedly not as many as I used to when I was hitting up the Senior Bowl and Combine every year). This thread will look at Mizzou-LB-Nick Bolton

Pros

* will get ball carrier down by any means necessary
* despite average size for position is a physical specimen
* elite instincts, sees the play and goes
* rarely make a poor decision in coverage
* shows ability to sift through trash to avoid blocks
* Is a true 3 down linebacker. Capable in all 3 phases of pass rush, run D. and pass coverage
* sideline to sideline motor
* played his best vs Alabama
* shows good ball skills

Cons

* tackling is not textbook
* speed is average
* does not possess elite hands to shed defenders

NFL player Comp- Bobby Wagner
Draft Day Range- picks 18-40
Teams competing to draft him- CLE/Balt/NO/GB/Buf/NE/NYJ

hawaiiansteel
03-01-2021, 04:20 PM
https://steelersdepot.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/nick-bolton-pff-2021-nfl-draft.jpg

Joel Buchsbaum
03-02-2021, 09:08 AM
So he's short, with average speed, needs to refine his tackling and has issues shading blockers? Sounds a bit like Bush, who at least has really good speed. With Bolton having a late 1st to 2nd round grade, we have much bigger needs. Hard pass.

NorthCoast
03-02-2021, 10:14 AM
One site has the Steelers picking EDGE Carlos Basham @ 24; 6'5"- 285lbs with "surprising speed".... strong against the run.

hawaiiansteel
03-22-2021, 05:38 PM
Missouri ILB Nick Bolton Works out for Steelers Coach Jerry Olsavsky at Pro Day, Gets Advice from Mike Tomlin

March 22, 2021
By Griffin Floyd

Nick Bolton, who was one of the top tacklers in the SEC in 2019 and 2020, met and worked out with Steelers inside linebackers coach Jerry Olsavsky at Missouri’s pro day.

Bolton said Olsavsky gave him advice on “what he felt like was a positive for me, what I need to work on. He helped me get a little better today.”

Mike Tomlin, Kevin Colbert and Olsavsky spent the better part of an hour on zoom last week, discussing the Steelers scheme and their analysis of him as a player. Bolton is a fiery player, and they

“The biggest advice from [Tomlin] was stop being so hard on myself,” Bolton said. “I’m my biggest critic, and it kind of shows.”

Bolton is 5-foot-11, 237 pounds and ran his 40-yard dash in 4.59 seconds, the rare combination of physical play and athleticism that’s crucial to playing the inside linebacker position in today’s NFL.

“I ran faster than I think people anticipated me, so I feel like that’s a positive,” Bolton said.

Projected as a first or second round pick, Bolton has received a lot of interest from NFL teams.

“I talked to numerous teams, nearly all of them,” Bolton said.

The Steelers are one of those teams, and inside linebacker is a need for them since Vince Williams became a cap casualty. The Steelers linebacker tandems in recent years have shown a mix of sideline to sideline speed and aggressive, run stopping physicality, as evidenced by Williams’ consistent play next to rangy players like Ryan Shazier and Devin Bush.

Bolton can lay the wood, and would be a good yin to Bush’s yang in black and gold.

“The best thing I love about football is the physicality,” Bolton said. “I like to hit, I like to run, I like to be physical.”

His speedy 40 time, however, shows that he can be more than just a run stopping grinder.

Bolton said he’s used to playing zone coverage because of the Tigers defensive scheme. However, he can play man to man if needed, which is crucial in the modern NFL with mismatches from speedy tight ends and receivers out of the backfield a huge part of the game.

“I didn’t play that much man on man on tight ends or running backs this season,” Bolton said. “I like to play man to man coverage, but we played primarily zone this year.”

https://steelersnow.com/missouri-ilb-nick-bolton-gets-advice-from-steelers-coaches-mike-tomlin-jerry-olsavsky-at-pro-day/

SteelerOfDeVille
03-23-2021, 12:31 PM
This is my pick in the first. The perfect thumper to compliment Bush's backside pursuit. With him, Bush and TJ, we'd be locked in at 3 of 4 LB spots for years to come.

And because this is a deep o-line class (specifically, OT), you could easily get a starter in the 2nd round.

steeler_george
04-05-2021, 06:58 AM
Is it me or is his stock dropping, he is getting lost in the shuffle of the prodays, getting leap frogged by Collins, Davis, Werner, and Browning.

This dude might even drop to the end of the 2nd or early 3rd round with everyone making a run at CB, OT, C, WR, RB in the 2nd.

Joel Buchsbaum
04-05-2021, 07:15 AM
Is it me or is his stock dropping, he is getting lost in the shuffle of the prodays, getting leap frogged by Collins, Davis, Werner, and Browning.

This dude might even drop to the end of the 2nd or early 3rd round with everyone making a run at CB, OT, C, WR, RB in the 2nd.

1 ) We don't need ILB as much as LT, RT, C, RB and soon to be QB.

2 ) The reason his stock is dropping is teams don't want a shorter thumper ( he's 6 feet tall ) with good but not great speed, who didn't exactly produce enough splash plays in coverage.

Yeah, he'd upgrade us, but we have so many more needs.

NorthCoast
04-05-2021, 08:08 AM
Unless the player is the second coming of Shazier not interested in an ILB in Rd 1. Is there even a Shazier2.0 in this draft?

Oviedo
04-05-2021, 08:15 AM
Unless the player is the second coming of Shazier not interested in an ILB in Rd 1. Is there even a Shazier2.0 in this draft?

That would be Zaven Collins

steelerkeylargo
04-05-2021, 11:28 AM

Collins has always been slightly ahead. Definitely not getting leap frogged by the other 3.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-05-2021, 12:42 PM

I don't take the "stock dropping" on any player at this time of year too seriously. All reports these days come from analysts whose job it is to create views for their websites. We have no access to what is going on in 32 war rooms. Unless there is some injury or a completely disastrous workout, we can only take all of this with a grain of salt.

NorthCoast
04-05-2021, 01:02 PM
I don't take the "stock dropping" on any player at this time of year too seriously. All reports these days come from analysts whose job it is to create views for their websites. We have no access to what is going on in 32 war rooms. Unless there is some injury or a completely disastrous workout, we can only take all of this with a grain of salt.The other thing you have to watch out for was mentioned by Peter King. Some teams intentionally put out anonymous "concerns" about a player in the hopes that that player drops to them in the draft.
It's smoke screen season guys!
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/YAcSgtvt_V0/maxresdefault.jpg

NorthCoast
04-05-2021, 02:59 PM
That would be Zaven CollinsCollins looks solid but I honestly don't see Shazier speed in him. Maybe it's deceiving because Collins is so much bigger.

Steel Maniac
04-05-2021, 03:40 PM
The other thing you have to watch out for was mentioned by Peter King. Some teams intentionally put out anonymous "concerns" about a player in the hopes that that player drops to them in the draft.
It's smoke screen season guys!
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/YAcSgtvt_V0/maxresdefault.jpg

You mean "lying" season. LOL

hawaiiansteel
04-05-2021, 03:43 PM
Collins looks solid but I honestly don't see Shazier speed in him. Maybe it's deceiving because Collins is so much bigger.

Collins ran a 4.67 while Shazier ran in the 4.40s.

NorthCoast
04-05-2021, 04:28 PM
Collins ran a 4.67 while Shazier ran in the 4.40s.Thanks hawaiian...then my eyes were not deceiving me...