PDA

View Full Version : WHAT IF... trade for Watson

steeler_george
02-18-2021, 01:28 PM
Here me out, I saw this question brought up...

What if we sell the farm and trade for Watson, is our roster good enough now to compete for the superbowl?

Would we still be competive in the future just using FA and low draft picks to bring in players?

SteelBucks
02-18-2021, 01:39 PM
No offensive line, no running game, no chance.

The Man of Steel
02-18-2021, 01:48 PM
A 12-4 team trading the farm for a QB who went 4-12 makes total sense.

steeler_george
02-18-2021, 01:57 PM
interesting... keep on with your thoughts.

steeler_george
02-18-2021, 02:08 PM
I used a trade, but same thing if we force Ben to retire and trade for Watson...
made some cuts, restructors, and even signed Jammal Williams

CAP TOTALS

Total Available Cap:$189,950,555 (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/pittsburgh-steelers/)
Total Team Cap $:$183,016,414 (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/pittsburgh-steelers/)
Cap Space:$6,934,141 (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/pittsburgh-steelers/)
Total Savings:$16,032,688 (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/pittsburgh-steelers/)

TRANSACTIONS LOG (HIDE) (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/pittsburgh-steelers/#)

Traded Ben Roethlisberger (PIT) for Deshaun Watson (HOU)
(Saved: $8,460,000)
Restructured Stephon Tuitt
(Saved: $3,962,500)
Restructured Cameron Heyward
(Saved: $2,568,750)
Released Vince Williams
(Saved: $4,000,000)
Restructured Chris Boswell
(Saved: $1,047,500)
Restructured Deshaun Watson
(Saved: $2,240,000)
Released Jaylen Samuels
(Saved: $920,000)
Released Benny Snell Jr.
(Saved: $674,483)
Released Justin Layne
(Saved: $619,455)
Jamaal Williams signed as a free agent
(Cap: $2,000,000)

hawaiiansteel
02-18-2021, 02:13 PM
No offensive line, no running game, no chance.

and we would no doubt have to include a couple of #1 picks so we would have a harder time building those units back up.

steeler_george
02-18-2021, 02:13 PM
before I get ripped this is all hypothical...

What would it take to trade for Watson two #1, two #2?

hawaiiansteel
02-18-2021, 02:15 PM

they are reportedly asking for three #1s right now.

feltdizz
02-18-2021, 02:20 PM
I love Watson’s game but without a team around him. he went 4-12. Dude played out of his mind too.

We probably go 7-9 with him if we traded the farm.

pittpete
02-18-2021, 02:22 PM
http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50745-Deshawn-Watson-wants-out-of-Houston/page7

https://i.gyazo.com/fc27b081dc9627175fa2cabd9c4d58c9.png

steeler_george
02-18-2021, 02:26 PM
I love Watson’s game but without a team around him. he went 4-12. Dude played out of his mind too.

We probably go 7-9 with him if we traded the farm.

We have the WRs and a D, and a coach!
Something that Houston didn't have last year!

SteelBucks
02-18-2021, 04:30 PM

I think that would get it done. I would throw up after making the deal though.

feltdizz
02-22-2021, 09:44 AM
We have the WRs and a D, and a coach!
Something that Houston didn't have last year!

not sure our WR group is much better than what Houston has at WR.

Now, our D is better but it comes down to depth. Our D is great in September and October.. but by December it has been bum sauce due to injuries the last 2 years.

Joel Buchsbaum
02-22-2021, 10:35 AM
not sure our WR group is much better than what Houston has at WR.

Now, our D is better but it comes down to depth. Our D is great in September and October.. but by December it has been bum sauce due to injuries the last 2 years.

Help me out with the Watson allure. We played Houston this season, he threw for 231 passing yards and ran for 5 years . 2TD, 1 INT. 5 for 12 on 3rd down. A meh performance.

No one was calling Watson great that day. While he did throw for a lot of yards this year, he was also behind often and did so later in games when defenses allow yards in exchange for time off the clock.

Does his OL suck? No more than ours. Watson holds the ball too long.

Guy is 1-3 in the playoffs ( When he had good teams ) and has had two grade 3 ACL injuries. Given his cap number, teams have not traded for him yet, meanwhile other older QB's have been traded.

Shawn
02-22-2021, 02:08 PM
Are members here suggesting Watson would do worse than BB? I mean BB didn't have an OL or a running game.

Chucktownsteeler
02-22-2021, 04:44 PM
Not.going.to.happen.

NJ-STEELER
02-22-2021, 04:46 PM
Don’t we usually have enough diva wide receivers.

Why would we want a diva QB

feltdizz
02-22-2021, 04:59 PM
Help me out with the Watson allure. We played Houston this season, he threw for 231 passing yards and ran for 5 years . 2TD, 1 INT. 5 for 12 on 3rd down. A meh performance.

No one was calling Watson great that day. While he did throw for a lot of yards this year, he was also behind often and did so later in games when defenses allow yards in exchange for time off the clock.

Does his OL suck? No more than ours. Watson holds the ball too long.

Guy is 1-3 in the playoffs ( When he had good teams ) and has had two grade 3 ACL injuries. Given his cap number, teams have not traded for him yet, meanwhile other older QB's have been traded.

well, he is a duel threat who can extend plays with his feet and he is pretty efficient.

Look at the numbers in the Steelers game. He had 264 yards on 27 attempts. Ben had 237 yards on 36 attempts.

I’m not really concerned with his playoff record. O’Brien was a terrible GM and HC.

I think that’s why so everyone is high on Watson. The franchise and HC have been horrible and if you get him in a stable system I think he will have success.

hawaiiansteel
02-22-2021, 05:25 PM
Given his cap number, teams have not traded for him yet, meanwhile other older QB's have been traded.

the Texans have yet to field offers for Watson, standing firm that they plan to keep their franchise QB.

feltdizz
02-22-2021, 10:22 PM
the Texans have yet to field offers for Watson, standing firm that they plan to keep their franchise QB.
they keep saying they aren’t trading him and I heard Watson isn’t returning prone calls.

they better smooth things out soon or it could get ugly.

SteelBucks
02-22-2021, 11:16 PM
they keep saying they aren’t trading him and I heard Watson isn’t returning prone calls.

Wilson wants out. This could turn into another Carson Wentz situation. I’ll give up a 2nd and 3rd round pick. That move would bring along JJ. ;)

Northern_Blitz
02-23-2021, 05:47 AM

If they really want to keep him, he doesn't have much choice.

Sitting out for a year costs him an incredible amount of money. Now and if he moves on.

NorthCoast
02-23-2021, 08:35 AM

Sitting out for a year costs him an incredible amount of money. Now and if he moves on.Yea, Watson isn't a L Bell trying to 'reset the market'.

Joel Buchsbaum
02-23-2021, 08:59 AM
I do want Watson traded to a team that picks before us, as it would give the Steelers s better chance at picking their QB in round one.

The talk is Miami. They have 22.7 million in cap space + Tua Tagovailoa's cap # of 6.8 million. So if they threw another player and a 2nd round pick the trade can happen, and Miami would spend their first round pick on receiver. Houston would want more. Too bad.

Personally I think Watson is overpaid and one of these new GM Qb's who can and will become a distraction if his team doesn't go far. Watson will be traded. The dysfunctional Texans better move quickly. Two potential suitors for QB's are already off the market, and at least 4 other teams want to take a QB in round one. The other team is Chicago, but they have negative cap space.

A real long shot, but one I think would make a lot of news is Wilson for Watson! Why not?

Northern_Blitz
02-23-2021, 09:26 AM
Yea, Watson isn't a L Bell trying to 'reset the market'.

And Bell wasn't under contract.

This would be much worse IMO.

Maybe he'd still have a market because marquis QB is so important. But lots of organizations would get super turned off by that IMO.

SteelBucks
02-23-2021, 10:32 AM

Sitting out for a year costs him an incredible amount of money. Now and if he moves on.

It has happened before but rarely. I remember Mike Merriweather in the 80s wanted a new deal from the Steelers. The FO said too bad and he ended up sitting out the entire season to become a FA. He signed with the Vikings the following season.

Northern_Blitz
02-23-2021, 11:33 AM
It has happened before but rarely. I remember Mike Merriweather in the 80s wanted a new deal from the Steelers. The FO said too bad and he ended up sitting out the entire season to become a FA. He signed with the Vikings the following season.

It's not impossible. But is Watson really interested in losing ~ $15M (I assume that they go after his signing bonus in a case like this)? And that's just for this season.

How much of the signing bonus can they take back for "conduct detrimental to the team"? If he does this and they cut him, could they get all $20M of the $27M signing bonus back? I think they wouldn't do that because it's absolutely terrible asset management, but if it became a personal thing (and maybe it's already there) they can really screw him.

Washington weaseled out of their contract with Haskins that way, and that was a much smaller deal.

SteelBucks
02-23-2021, 12:33 PM
It's not impossible. But is Watson really interested in losing ~ $15M (I assume that they go after his signing bonus in a case like this)? And that's just for this season.

How much of the signing bonus can they take back for "conduct detrimental to the team"? If he does this and they cut him, could they get all $20M of the $27M signing bonus back? I think they wouldn't do that because it's absolutely terrible asset management, but if it became a personal thing (and maybe it's already there) they can really screw him.

Washington weaseled out of their contract with Haskins that way, and that was a much smaller deal.

The Texans could also fine him for every day missed. That would get expensive for Watson. I’m sure cooler head will prevail.

Sword
02-23-2021, 12:55 PM
This is a second thread...no no no