PDA

View Full Version : Stafford for Goff and more...

papillon
01-30-2021, 11:56 PM
Seems to me this is a one sided trade but I guess Stafford could take the Rams to the Super Bowl...

The Rams get Stafford
The Lions get Goff, First in 2022, First in 2023 and a 3rd in 2021, you should be able to build a team with that bounty of picks pus your own.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30808788/detroit-lions-dealing-matthew-stafford-los-angeles-rams-jared-goff-picks-sources-say

Pappy

Steel Maniac
01-31-2021, 12:03 AM
The Lions taking on Geoff’s contract was a lot thou but like you said, they can parlay those two first rounders into a lot of picks by trading down.

SteelBucks
01-31-2021, 12:11 AM
My first reaction is the Lions won this one. They get Goff and a ton of high picks for Stafford?! I’m liking this if I’m a Lions fan because it opens up a lot of interesting possibilities.

SteelBucks
01-31-2021, 12:21 AM
My first reaction is the Lions won this one. They get Goff and a ton of high picks for Stafford?! I’m liking this if I’m a Lions fan because it opens up a lot of interesting possibilities.

And to add, the NFL Network was just thinking out loud about the possibilities. One mentioned the Steelers could move up to the Lions pick to select a QB. This isn’t happening but the Planet here would meltdown with that trade. Some would love it, some would hate it. LOL

whisper
01-31-2021, 02:18 AM

This could be one of those deals that works out for both. Rams are pushing their chips in. I like it.

Iron City Inc.
01-31-2021, 08:17 AM
This could be one of those deals that works out for both. Rams are pushing their chips in. I like it.

Looks that way to me too. Rams are contenders now so the window is next few years. Upgrade and gamble a few future picks to win it all. Why not.
Lions with a tear down rebuild move for the future. Also why not. Plenty of ammo to begin the rebuild with their new coach. Takes stones to make a move like that you have to give them credit. MS asking out helped it but good for them.

steeler_george
01-31-2021, 08:57 AM
I don't get this trade...
That is a hell a lot of draft capital to give up for a QB who is injury pron.

The Rams are worst shape than us with their cap, I wonder if they are better off now under the cap without Goeff.

Maybe the Rams are banking on a strong D, good running game, and a steady QB is the recipe to win the SB ( sounds like the Bucs, or us)
I am I wrong to compare the Rams to us again, or this the right path with Ben leading us.

I wonder how this changes the draft, does Detroit still look to draft a QB now? WR and OL sound like their best bets.

Oviedo
01-31-2021, 09:15 AM
Losers in this are the Texans. They are going to hold on to Watson who clearly doesn't want to be there and end up having to trade him for half his value. The texans could have been on the winning end of a Goff trade. Houston may be the worst run team in the NFL surpassing the WFT

steeler_george
01-31-2021, 09:19 AM
Losers in this are the Texans. They are going to hold on to Watson who clearly doesn't want to be there and end up having to trade him for half his value. The texans could have been on the winning end of a Goff trade. Houston may be the worst run team in the NFL surpassing the WFT

Are you sure about that, sounds like INDY might be the biggest losers.

Stafford would of looked good there, Goeff might of even fit in there.

Clear path for Wentz to Indy now?

Oviedo
01-31-2021, 09:24 AM

But Houston still is in a box with a problem and no plan. Sure, they can force Watson to stay and play but how happy will he be and the players will likely get ticked at management if they play hard ball.

feltdizz
01-31-2021, 09:40 AM

Houston should shake down the Jags for the first pick this year... Trevor Lawrence.

I think the Rams got the best out of this deal as long as Stafford stays upright. Goff wasn’t anything special. This gives the Rams a window to compete for a SB.

You can give Detroit all the picks. in the first round and they will struggle to make something happen. That team is cursed.

BURGH86STEEL
01-31-2021, 09:51 AM
It seems the Rams gave up to much.

Northern_Blitz
01-31-2021, 11:25 AM
The Lions taking on Geoff’s contract was a lot thou but like you said, they can parlay those two first rounders into a lot of picks by trading down.

Do you think it was worth it for the Rams to give up so many assets attaining Goff and then give up more assets getting rid of him?

I feel like you've been a big proponent of following the Rams model and I wonder if this changes your mind?

steeler_george
01-31-2021, 11:45 AM
Do you think it was worth it for the Rams to give up so many assets attaining Goff and then give up more assets getting rid of him?

I feel like you've been a big proponent of following the Rams model and I wonder if this changes your mind?

The thing is we have that or comparable QB now, Rams didn't.
We ae not that far back... get our line to hold longer than 3 seconds, just gain freaking 1 yard when need be, get an RB who has burst, explosion, and isn't slow through the hole, and keep that D solid and stronger.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-31-2021, 02:02 PM
This deal was not about trading one QB for another and then equalizing with draft picks. This deal - for the Rams - was about getting out from under a contract with still plenty of guaranteed money for Goff. I believe that he is still owed over $40M in guarantees from whoever is his last employer of record. Probably one of those first rounders was given to offset that commitment.

Think of it as Stafford for a third in 2021 and first in 2022.
Then, Rams say "please take Goff and his contract off our hands. We'll give you a first rounder in 2023 if you do".

Steel Maniac
01-31-2021, 02:10 PM
This deal was not about trading one QB for another and then equalizing with draft picks. This deal - for the Rams - was about getting out from under a contract with still plenty of guaranteed money for Goff. I believe that he is still owed over $40M in guarantees from whoever is his last employer of record. Probably one of those first rounders was given to offset that commitment.

Then, Rams say "please take Goff and his contract off our hands. We'll give you a first rounder in 2023 if you do".

Exactly how I looked at it. Rams don’t have a first round pick till 2024. So that means they will be looking to move down to add picks often the next few drafts. Meaning no big first round signing bonuses and better chance at cap control over more modest contracts. If there GM can hit on those additional picks after thr trade downs, they don’t miss a beat. They must feel he can. Showing great confidence in their GM to hit later in thr draft on some prospects

hawaiiansteel
01-31-2021, 02:17 PM
Exactly how I looked at it. Rams don’t have a first round pick till 2024. So that means they will be looking to move down to add picks often the next few drafts. Meaning no big first round signing bonuses and better chance at cap control over more modest contracts. If there GM can hit on those additional picks after thr trade downs, they don’t miss a beat. They must feel he can. Showing great confidence in their GM to hit later in thr draft on some prospects

you have stated how you wish we had McVay as our coach instead of Tomlin.

so how many Super Bowls has your boy McVay won so far?

Northern_Blitz
01-31-2021, 02:17 PM

Yep, they gave up a lot to get him.

And now they're giving up a lot to get rid of him.

I think teams are starting to realize that only elite QBs can be OK with these huge contracts.

Maybe QB salaries for these average to above average guys will get driven down sometime soon with multiple teams looking to bail on huge deals.

feltdizz
01-31-2021, 03:07 PM
Yep, they gave up a lot to get him.

And now they're giving up a lot to get rid of him.

I think teams are starting to realize that only elite QBs can be OK with these huge contracts.

Maybe QB salaries for these average to above average guys will get driven down sometime soon with multiple teams looking to bail on huge deals.

a reduced cap makes for some serious cost saving and a lot of these teams gave QB’s stupid money.

Also means teams will probably chill on these next round of QB contracts.

Especially when you can only have - fee thousand fans in your stadium right now.

hawaiiansteel
01-31-2021, 03:11 PM

you mean the same Rams GM that gave ridiculous contracts to Jared Goff and Todd Gurley?

SteelerMaine83
01-31-2021, 03:14 PM
Gives you a little glimpse of what it may cost to acquire Watson, if that was your goal. Certainly younger and arguably better QB than Stafford. You would get him, pay him, and then have no high picks to surround him with for a couple years.
Hopefully this puts some perspective into what it takes to make moves like this, and what you need to give up. Any way you slice it our current cap issues and unprecedented number of meaningful FAs that we will lose would set Watson up for a Texans like welcome for the next few years.

Steel Maniac
01-31-2021, 03:49 PM

I think FR can fix Wentz if they land him. But Matt Ryan might be on the move as well and Ryan could get Indy to the AFC championship at least.

Steel Maniac
01-31-2021, 03:54 PM
Gives you a little glimpse of what it may cost to acquire Watson, if that was your goal. Certainly younger and arguably better QB than Stafford. You would get him, pay him, and then have no high picks to surround him with for a couple years.
Hopefully this puts some perspective into what it takes to make moves like this, and what you need to give up. Any way you slice it our current cap issues and unprecedented number of meaningful FAs that we will lose would set Watson up for a Texans like welcome for the next few years.

Texans look foolish in their stance. Clearly Watson isn’t going to play for them. I get it that they want to try and keep his trade value as high as possible by saying he isn’t available but they are not fooling anyone. They better not let this get to close to the next season because offers for him could dwindle.

Northern_Blitz
01-31-2021, 07:30 PM

Any thoughts on this SM?

Not trying to attack.

Just think this would be an interesting discussion if you were willing to have it.

whatever
01-31-2021, 07:39 PM
Sounds like both teams lost. Lions get rid of the only decent player on team that fans can relate too and rams gave away slot of picks.
As far as the lions getting those picks, they dill screw up the draft anyways.

Northern_Blitz
01-31-2021, 07:45 PM
Sounds like both teams lost. Lions get rid of the only decent player on team that fans can relate too and rams gave away slot of picks.
As far as the lions getting those picks, they dill screw up the draft anyways.

Let's pause and be grateful we're Steelers fans here.

I know things kind of stuck right now.

But imagine being a lions fan with no real hope that they will use those assets to put a good team on the field.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-31-2021, 08:06 PM
Disagree WRT the Lions. Prior to the last couple of years, they never seem to be the team drafting in the top 10. They are a consistent middle of the road team that is never bad enough to get top picks, and never good enough to compete. Stafford, a good QB, but at 32 doubtful that he is around long enough for them to compete. They take a swing at Goff, and eat some cap space that they have. They will build with two extra day 1 picks and a day two pick. Within a couple of years they'll know if Goff is ready to lead a rebuilt young team, or they dump his contract and use the cap space to improve.

Not great, but at least they are trying something new when the same old thing doesn't even get them to the playoffs.

Iron City Inc.
01-31-2021, 08:11 PM
Texans look foolish in their stance. Clearly Watson isn’t going to play for them. I get it that they want to try and keep his trade value as high as possible by saying he isn’t available but they are not fooling anyone. They better not let this get to close to the next season because offers for him could dwindle.

I agree Texans are just looking so bad they really are a dumpster fire.
I do think Watson is so talented though that if they didn't try to move him till after the draft they would still find trade partners. Only takes one dance partner and Watson being in his prime would be on the wish list of any qb needy team who struck out getting a qb in the draft.

whatever
01-31-2021, 08:31 PM
Disagree WRT the Lions. Prior to the last couple of years, they never seem to be the team drafting in the top 10. They are a consistent middle of the road team that is never bad enough to get top picks, and never good enough to compete. Stafford, a good QB, but at 32 doubtful that he is around long enough for them to compete. They take a swing at Goff, and eat some cap space that they have. They will build with two extra day 1 picks and a day two pick. Within a couple of years they'll know if Goff is ready to lead a rebuilt young team, or they dump his contract and use the cap space to improve.

Not great, but at least they are trying something new when the same old thing doesn't even get them to the playoffs.

That’s sorta my point.
They have averaged drafting 15th since getting Stafford.
They are one of the worst teams the last 50 years.
During that time they have tried numerous things and obviously using their picks wisely isn’t one of them.
Now if I was a fan, I were oils be excited for a change but deep down I would know the lions will always be the lions and basically suck.

D Rock
01-31-2021, 10:31 PM
The Rams have been playing with Monopoly money for years trying to win a Super Bowl asap and it is catching up to them. Lots of big trades and stupid contracts over there.

Has there ever been a time in the NFL with so many big name QBs on the move or unhappy?

Stafford
Goff
Watson
Wentz

Maybe:

Roethlisberger
Rodgers
Darnold
Trubisky

I'm sure I'm missing some

hawaiiansteel
01-31-2021, 11:01 PM
The Rams have been playing with Monopoly money for years trying to win a Super Bowl asap and it is catching up to them. Lots of big trades and stupid contracts over there.

yet this is the franchise that Steel Maniac envies. :roll:

Starlifter
01-31-2021, 11:11 PM
time will tell, but the rams and the lions have been two of the most poorly run franchises in decades. the truth is, they hit the lottery with a long shot named Warner - otherwise the rams would have never sniffed .800.

I think this trade is emblematic and typical of two franchises that don't know what they're doing.

Steel Maniac
02-01-2021, 02:26 AM
time will tell, but the rams and the lions have been two of the most poorly run franchises in decades. the truth is, they hit the lottery with a long shot named Warner - otherwise the rams would have never sniffed .800.

I think this trade is emblematic and typical of two franchises that don't know what they're doing. Rams management as of the last 4 years has been better then the majority of its existence . And for their fans, they seem to have a direction weather you agree with it or not. Clearly McVay felt that Geoff was holding the team back and now they’ve got a legit franchise QB.

The Lions on the other hand remains to be seen if they now have a coach who can change the culture and give them a definitive direction. But they’ve got the ammunition now to build a team with a great defense and running game to support a game manager QB in Geoff. If their smart , that should be the type of team they want to create.

Northern_Blitz
02-01-2021, 05:56 AM
That’s sorta my point.
They have averaged drafting 15th since getting Stafford.
They are one of the worst teams the last 50 years.
During that time they have tried numerous things and obviously using their picks wisely isn’t one of them.
Now if I was a fan, I were oils be excited for a change but deep down I would know the lions will always be the lions and basically suck.

This is what people around here hated about the Bills between Kelly and the current team.

It's also why I want us to be bad this upcoming season. Rebuild is way better than constant mediocrity

feltdizz
02-01-2021, 09:08 AM

Has there ever been a time in the NFL with so many big name QBs on the move or unhappy?

Stafford
Goff
Watson
Wentz

Maybe:

Roethlisberger
Rodgers
Darnold
Trubisky

yeah.. but if they get another run at a SB its worth it. I’m sure some fans who enjoy the draft may be a bit frustrated but after years of mediocrity I’m sure they appreciate their team making a run.

Its the Washington Football Team blueprint but with much better results.

Now, if all you care about is winning a SB it has been failure after failure.. lol.

feltdizz
02-01-2021, 09:09 AM
yet this is the franchise that Steel Maniac envies. :roll:

weird how one can envy and appreciate a franchise who hasn’t won a SB yet.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-01-2021, 02:54 PM

Stafford
Goff
Watson
Wentz

Maybe:

Roethlisberger
Rodgers
Darnold
Trubisky

I think that this list more interesting by some of the names on it.

Goff - Rams spent a ton of draft capital to move up to get him - two firsts, two seconds, two thirds - in 2016. He went to one SB with the Rams, and is now discarded. Depite the SB appearance, he never came close to fulfilling even first round status.

Wentz - almost same story as Goff, picked second in the same draft. Wentz has a ring, but watched Nick Foles QB the team to that championship.

Darnold - Third overall, second QB picked in 2018. Not the first QB from the first round that is probably moving on. #10 overall Josh Rosen is with his fourth organization. Quick, without looking, where is he now? I didn't know the answer, it is San Fran.

Trubisky - Second overall in 2017. Another trade up - the Bears gave up two thirds and a fourth to move up one spot. Never done a thing.

Just goes to show how fleeting success can be for a promising NFL QB. Buyer beware. The reason why I supported the team trying to find a guy in the bargain bin who has all the tools rather than shopping the premium aisles (trade up in the first or second contract trade or FA). I think the possibility of failure is the same either way, why not try someone low risk until you have to? If the Steelers are not a desperate team a QB away from a SB, live with Ben or Rudolph or Haskins until you find your guy.

hawaiiansteel
02-01-2021, 03:22 PM
weird how one can envy and appreciate a franchise who hasn’t won a SB yet.

Steel Maniac fell in love with McVay the year he went to the Super Bowl.

just how he now wants Todd Bowles to be our head coach because he's in the Super Bowl also.

can't use logic on him, he's a bandwagon jumper.

Northern_Blitz
02-01-2021, 04:10 PM
Steel Maniac fell in love with McVay the year he went to the Super Bowl.

just how he now wants Todd Bowles to be our head coach because he's in the Super Bowl also.

can't use logic on him, he's a bandwagon jumper.

This seems to be the case.

Needed an example in the "who would you take over Tomlin" debate. Guys that come into the league and have success early (with QBs on rookie contracts) look very good.

Many on here (raises own hand) pointed out that success would probably falter once the QB was getting a market level deal.

Many also predicted that the same thing would happen to Pete Carroll (another common response to "who would you rather have over Tomlin") after his QB received a market level deal.

There is a pattern to success in the NFL. There is a huge market inefficiency for teams that get lucky drafting QBs. I think it's difficult to find good ones, but if you do you should do everything you can to get a great defense when you have even an average QB on a rookie deal.

That seems to be the best / most repeatable path to success IMO.

Unfortunately, step 1 is "get lucky in the draft".

Joel Buchsbaum
02-01-2021, 05:06 PM
This seems to be the case.

Needed an example in the "who would you take over Tomlin" debate. Guys that come into the league and have success early (with QBs on rookie contracts) look very good.

Many on here (raises own hand) pointed out that success would probably falter once the QB was getting a market level deal.

Many also predicted that the same thing would happen to Pete Carroll (another common response to "who would you rather have over Tomlin") after his QB received a market level deal.

There is a pattern to success in the NFL. There is a huge market inefficiency for teams that get lucky drafting QBs. I think it's difficult to find good ones, but if you do you should do everything you can to get a great defense when you have even an average QB on a rookie deal.

That seems to be the best / most repeatable path to success IMO.

Unfortunately, step 1 is "get lucky in the draft".

I think the formula is more QB, head coach and defense to win a championship. The trick is doing it on the Qb's #1st contract and paying him the correct market value on his 2nd contract and 3rd contract.

McVay is a very good head coach. The young offensive minded type that are taking over. I'd take him. His record with Goff a bottom 3rd starting QB. 46–24 (.657)

Impressive. With Stafford at QB, who's a clear step up over Goff I expect a deeper dive from the Rams into the playoffs in 2021.

Northern_Blitz
02-01-2021, 07:27 PM
I think the formula is more QB, head coach and defense to win a championship. The trick is doing it on the Qb's #1st contract and paying him the correct market value on his 2nd contract and 3rd contract.

McVay is a very good head coach. The young offensive minded type that are taking over. I'd take him. His record with Goff a bottom 3rd starting QB. 46–24 (.657)

Impressive. With Stafford at QB, who's a clear step up over Goff I expect a deeper dive from the Rams into the playoffs in 2021.

I agree that you want to get as much as you can out of the 1st contract.

I don't think it's likely (almost impossible) to get good value on a 2nd contract QB. But you almost need to resign them. Then hope you win while you're sporadically competitive.

I agree Mcvay has had good results. I'd argue that it's as much because of the D as the O (even though the press clipping are about how he's great at Xs and Os on offense).

Let's see what his record looks like in a few years after he's had a market level QB for a longer period of time. I bet he's sporadically competitive, like our own HC who never got to play with a super cheap QB (because I think Ben was drafted before they massively devalued rookie contracts).

In fact, my guess is that he end up being worse than Tomlin (and Ben and Colbert) with a market level QB. Because (1) almost everyone is and (2) their FO doesn't seem to be very good IMO.

When their D gets older, I don't think they'll be much good. And losing out on so many 1st round picks seems likely to bite them in the ads IMO.

Joel Buchsbaum
02-02-2021, 09:06 AM
I agree that you want to get as much as you can out of the 1st contract.

I don't think it's likely (almost impossible) to get good value on a 2nd contract QB. But you almost need to resign them. Then hope you win while you're sporadically competitive.

I agree Mcvay has had good results. I'd argue that it's as much because of the D as the O (even though the press clipping are about how he's great at Xs and Os on offense).

Let's see what his record looks like in a few years after he's had a market level QB for a longer period of time. I bet he's sporadically competitive, like our own HC who never got to play with a super cheap QB (because I think Ben was drafted before they massively devalued rookie contracts).

In fact, my guess is that he end up being worse than Tomlin (and Ben and Colbert) with a market level QB. Because (1) almost everyone is and (2) their FO doesn't seem to be very good IMO.

When their D gets older, I don't think they'll be much good. And losing out on so many 1st round picks seems likely to bite them in the ads IMO.

I think Stafford is a little underrated. How many people really watch a Detroit game unless the Steelers are playing them ( Once every four year ) or its Thanksgiving? He's a very good QB that plays for a terrible team. Next year his production will be better. They got a top 8-14 QB.

As for the Rams, they unloaded 65.2 million in dead cap money of they had to cut Goff, which they would if they found better. That's huge. I expect Goff to be even worse in Detroit, and replaced as soon as possible.

The Rams now have a QB, one of the better ones, and a Defense that features Donald and Ramsey in their primes, along with a very good head coach They got a legit 3- 4 year window to do something. Great trade for them. The worst thing in in NFL is over paying and giving a bad QB a long term contract.

Bottom line the Rams are better off. Saving that much on cap is worth more than 2 first round picks. You have to have good to great QB these days. Now they have one. If you have not focused on Stafford, he had little around him. The guy has a cannon for an arm and has been durable. Pretty accurate tool. Put a better coach and players around him and you've got something.

The " When their D gets older can be applied to any team. "

Northern_Blitz
02-02-2021, 09:40 AM
I think Stafford is a little underrated. How many people really watch a Detroit game unless the Steelers are playing them ( Once every four year ) or its Thanksgiving? He's a very good QB that plays for a terrible team. Next year his production will be better. They got a top 8-14 QB.

As for the Rams, they unloaded 65.2 million in dead cap money of they had to cut Goff, which they would if they found better. That's huge. I expect Goff to be even worse in Detroit, and replaced as soon as possible.

The Rams now have a QB, one of the better ones, and a Defense that features Donald and Ramsey in their primes, along with a very good head coach They got a legit 3- 4 year window to do something. Great trade for them. The worst thing in in NFL is over paying and giving a bad QB a long term contract.

Bottom line the Rams are better off. Saving that much on cap is worth more than 2 first round picks. You have to have good to great QB these days. Now they have one. If you have not focused on Stafford, he had little around him. The guy has a cannon for an arm and has been durable. Pretty accurate tool. Put a better coach and players around him and you've got something.

We will see what happens. It's an interesting experiment.

I think the biggest benefit for the Rams is the lost cap hit you talk about. But they paid a lot for that.

My point for "when their D gets older" is that they gave up the best way to get young players.

Joel Buchsbaum
02-02-2021, 10:09 AM
We will see what happens. It's an interesting experiment.

I think the biggest benefit for the Rams is the lost cap hit you talk about. But they paid a lot for that.

My point for "when their D gets older" is that they gave up the best way to get young players.

Yeah, we'll see. I think the Rams GM is smart enough or has learned to know you can't over pay for tier 3 starters , especially ones who make over 30M a year on the cap. While losing the two first round picks can hurt a defense, the Rams can now spend properly in free agency. Plus they have lots of draft picks in the future.

According to this excellent chart, the Rams were #1 overall in defense last year.

https://www.lineups.com/nfl-team-rankings/defense

Looking over their team, it's' young overall. Probably one of the younger teams in the NFL. I don't see any old players on defense that matter. Just two men with over 10 years experience on the team and one is the long snapper, the other should retire soon on the OL. IMO, the Rams D is good for 4-5 years. It's Ramseys 5th year, and Donald's 7th year. No age issues with the key star players on defense.

https://www.therams.com/team/players-roster/

whatever
02-02-2021, 10:16 AM

This is spot on.
I’m stuck in lion land and have family that are huge fans. I see, hear and read about the lions more than I care to. Stafford is good.
He is pretty much their whole team. He does have inflated stats but that’s because they are always behind. He has also been dinged up but plays tough. He’s had some injuries that would justify him sitting out but he played thru it.
No reason for him to play the last game of the season but he did anyway. The guy is tough. Good family man and good for the community.
His stats may not go up because they probably won’t have to.

The only way I see this not working is because that division is brutal and they may not make the playoffs even tho they will be a quality team.

Northern_Blitz
02-02-2021, 10:50 AM
Yeah, we'll see. I think the Rams GM is smart enough or has learned to know you can't over pay for tier 3 starters , especially ones who make over 30M a year on the cap. While losing the two first round picks can hurt a defense, the Rams can now spend properly in free agency. Plus they have lots of draft picks in the future.

According to this excellent chart, the Rams were #1 overall in defense last year.

https://www.lineups.com/nfl-team-rankings/defense

Looking over their team, it's' young overall. Probably one of the younger teams in the NFL. I don't see any old players on defense that matter. Just two men with over 10 years experience on the team and one is the long snapper, the other should retire soon on the OL. IMO, the Rams D is good for 4-5 years. It's Ramseys 5th year, and Donald's 7th year. No age issues with the key star players on defense.

https://www.therams.com/team/players-roster/

I'm not sure I'd call their FO smart. But at least they've tried to correct their big mistakes.

The screwed up the Gurley contract.

Then they screwed up the Goff contract.

Now they're putting all their chips on Stafford (who has never won a playoff game and has only been to the playoffs 3 times).

And they probably only have 1 or 2 years before they (1) re-up Stafford to a market level deal or (2) start another rebuild because they got rid of their QB. Maybe they tag him after 2022?

The way they've run their team in their competitive window is a very interesting counterpoint to how the Steelers worked with Ben.

I think we'll look back at Ben's career and say something like: I thought we would win more SBs, but it was fun to feel like we were competitive most years for a decade and a half or so.

I think the Rams will look back at this window and say: That was over pretty quickly. We spent so much draft capital to be in win now mode for a short time.

My guess is they'll know in a year or two whether or not it was successful / worth it. But I bet it will feel like a waste if they don't come away with a championship in the next 2 to three years.

Also, I agree that a good part of their current success is because of their D. Not their O who racked up almost a FG less per game than our Steelers this year.

Joel Buchsbaum
02-02-2021, 11:00 AM
This is spot on.
I’m stuck in lion land and have family that are huge fans. I see, hear and read about the lions more than I care to. Stafford is good.
He is pretty much their whole team. He does have inflated stats but that’s because they are always behind. He has also been dinged up but plays tough. He’s had some injuries that would justify him sitting out but he played thru it.
No reason for him to play the last game of the season but he did anyway. The guy is tough. Good family man and good for the community.

The only way I see this not working is because that division is brutal and they may not make the playoffs even tho they will be a quality team.

I think so too, and my condolences. There are some teams in pro sports that must endure generational suffering. I am from Long Island. There are plenty of Jet's fans.

If I may, here is a true story of a friend of mine.

Friend: Hey Dad, how come the Jet's can win win the Super Bowl?

His father: They won it once in 1969.

Friend: Dad that was before I was born.

His Father: I know son, they are just bad. You can watch the game with me ,but don't expect them to win often.

Fast forward 30 years, now my friend is a father himself and , and has his own son.

Son: Hey Dad, can I watch the Jets game with you?

Freind: Sit down next to me for a moment. You can always watch the games with me, but don't expect the Jets to win often.

That's generational suffering. At least grandpa saw one championship in his life time, even it it was over 50 years ago.

I think Detroit, Cleveland and Jacksonville are other only teams never to win a Super Bowl.

Northern_Blitz
02-02-2021, 11:10 AM
I think so too, and my condolences. There are some teams in pro sports that must endure generational suffering. I am from Long Island. There are plenty of Jet's fans.

His Father: I know son, they are just bad. You can watch the game with me ,but don't expect them to win often.

Fast forward 30 years, now my friend is a father himself and , and has his own son.

Freind: Sit down next to me for a moment. You can always watch the games with me, but don't expect the Jets to win often.

That's generational suffering. At least grandpa saw one championship in his life time, even it it was over 50 years ago.

I think Detroit, Cleveland and Jacksonville are other only teams never to win a Super Bowl.

Let's all hope that this isn't the future in store for the Steelers.

It's only a matter of time before we hit a genuine bad spell.

hawaiiansteel
02-02-2021, 05:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOkCeresOgw

whatever
02-02-2021, 05:20 PM

The nice part about that is knowing their favorite team sucks.
I’ve got family that think they are championship bound every year.
When they lose, they seriously believe that the nfl wants them to lose and tell the refs to make sure they do.
Every new coach and gm are the savior but suck after they get fired.
Every draft pick is awesome.
They are always just a player or two away.....etc etc etc.
I can’t understand why they just can’t be realistic about the team.
I’ve heard this crap so long, it’s probably why I have zero tolerance gif the rah rah guys on here.
I learned at age 6 not to be a lions fan. I was able to get my wife to love the steelers and raised our kids steeler fans. Now they don’t have the mindset I do on winning, they at least can go to work, school etc with their heads high. Family reunions are quite fun for us.

feltdizz
02-02-2021, 07:40 PM
This is spot on.

if they miss the playoffs with Stafford then this trade was a failure.

I think Stafford is better than Goff but still have no idea if he will be able to handle playoff pressure if they make it that far.

Rams were really aggressive in handing out big contracts for past performance. Almost felt like these were SB bonuses and not even considered in the future of the franchises cap space.

I don’t mind the win now bet they are placing, who knows if it works but there is more than one way to make a SB run.

feltdizz
02-02-2021, 07:51 PM
The nice part about that is knowing their favorite team sucks.
I’ve got family that think they are championship bound every year.
When they lose, they seriously believe that the nfl wants them to lose and tell the refs to make sure they do.
Every new coach and gm are the savior but suck after they get fired.
Every draft pick is awesome.
They are always just a player or two away.....etc etc etc.
I can’t understand why they just can’t be realistic about the team.
I’ve heard this crap so long, it’s probably why I have zero tolerance gif the rah rah guys on here.
I learned at age 6 not to be a lions fan. I was able to get my wife to love the steelers and raised our kids steeler fans. Now they don’t have the mindset I do on winning, they at least can go to work, school etc with their heads high. Family reunions are quite fun for us.

this post explains a lot.

It all makes sense now.

Thanks!

whatever
02-02-2021, 08:24 PM
this post explains a lot.

It all makes sense now.

Thanks!

Good, maybe this helps you will finally get it.

feltdizz
02-02-2021, 08:44 PM
Good, maybe this helps you will finally get it.

I definitely got it now.

You grew up rooting for a losing franchise and decided to abandon ship..

You hitched your wagon to ours but it still triggers you when you read post by die hard Steeler fans.

Makes perfect sense now. I’m not knocking you either, I just think people who are born and raised fans of their home team are loyal. We have no where else to go, this is our only team. Its all we know.

whatever
02-02-2021, 09:41 PM
I definitely got it now.

You grew up rooting for a losing franchise and decided to abandon ship..

You hitched your wagon to ours but it still triggers you when you read post by die hard Steeler fans.

Makes perfect sense now. I’m not knocking you either, I just think people who are born and raised fans of their home team are loyal. We have no where else to go, this is our only team. Its all we know.

My dad didn’t watch sports so to say I was born and raised a lions fan and switched at age 6 is ignorant.
I was never a lions fan or a fan of any Nfl team. So you are once again making things up.
I guarantee you zero 6 year olds know anything about nfl teams(especially 40-50 years ago) especially enough to abandon ship.
Nobody is forced to have their home town team their favorite.
Do you think every steeler fan in this country/world was born and raised in Pittsburg?

feltdizz
02-03-2021, 12:40 AM
My dad didn’t watch sports so to say I was born and raised a lions fan and switched at age 6 is ignorant.
I was never a lions fan or a fan of any Nfl team. So you are once again making things up.
I guarantee you zero 6 year olds know anything about nfl teams(especially 40-50 years ago) especially enough to abandon ship.
Do you think every steeler fan in this country/world was born and raised in Pittsburg?

Steeler fans definitely aren’t born and raised in Pittsburg

whisper
02-03-2021, 01:08 AM
Steeler fans definitely aren’t born and raised in Pittsburg

Well, a lot of us are were. If you grew up in western PA, chances are you are a Steeler fan.

feltdizz
02-03-2021, 09:46 AM
Well, a lot of us are were. If you grew up in western PA, chances are you are a Steeler fan.

I’m from Western, PA.

I just think its telling when someone forgets to put the H at the end of Pittsburgh.

You don’t have to be born and raised to be a Steeler fan but I think there is a difference in fanaticism with fans who pick their team vs those who are raised to root for the home team.

feltdizz
02-03-2021, 09:51 AM

I didn’t say anything about your parents.

and yes, I don’t think anyone is making a hard decision at 6 to stop being a fan of the hime team. I think that decision happens later in life.

But as someone born and raised in the 70’s in the Burgh.. well, I’ll just leave this here.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8d/4d/d4/8d4dd43209faf991865e93b6f6ccfa72.jpg

D Rock
02-03-2021, 12:52 PM
I didn’t say anything about your parents.

and yes, I don’t think anyone is making a hard decision at 6 to stop being a fan of the hime team. I think that decision happens later in life.

But as someone born and raised in the 70’s in the Burgh.. well, I’ll just leave this here.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8d/4d/d4/8d4dd43209faf991865e93b6f6ccfa72.jpg

Yeah, when you're born in or around the Burgh, that's just the way it is.

I 'chose' to be a Jaguars fan when I was in elementary school and they were new and fun.

By highschool I was on the old Trib board talking Steelers every day.

feltdizz
02-03-2021, 01:42 PM
Yeah, when you're born in or around the Burgh, that's just the way it is.

I 'chose' to be a Jaguars fan when I was in elementary school and they were new and fun.

By highschool I was on the old Trib board talking Steelers every day.

Indeed. Small sample size but one thing I always seem to notice is a few Pittsburgh natives who despise the Steelers and hate their fans.

When I ask why.. they pretty much give the same reasons whatever listed. They got tired of hearing about how awesome the home team was or how fans kept living in the past (I grew up in the 80’s and was barely old enough to remember the last SB win in the 70’s).

I’m sure its like this in evert football town with die hard fans.

Joel Buchsbaum
02-03-2021, 02:12 PM

From my experience the fans outside of Pittsburgh are different.

Steeler fans born in Pittsburgh area don't seem to question the teams moves as much, and are a little more jolly and accepting. For example used to watch the games in a really good Steeler bar in he mid 1990's to early 2,000's called Spamky's and it was full of people from Western Pennsylvania. Outside of those who thought I worked for the FBI ( There was some pot deals going on ) they accepted me as one of their own with open arms, and the bartender saved me a seat at there version of the 50 yard line. I didn't look like them, talk like them or drive a car like them. Didn't matter. I was fully accepted as one of their own.

Steelers fans outside of Pittsburgh to me are more pragmatic and just as likely to cheer or boo, depending on how the game is working out. Don't ask me which group knew more about the Steelers and football in general.

D Rock
02-03-2021, 02:54 PM

Steeler fans born in Pittsburgh area don't seem to question the teams moves as much, and are a little more jolly and accepting. For example used to watch the games in a really good Steeler bar in he mid 1990's to early 2,000's called Spamky's and it was full of people from Western Pennsylvania. Outside of those who thought I worked for the FBI ( There was some pot deals going on ) they accepted me as one of their own with open arms, and the bartender saved me a seat at there version of the 50 yard line. I didn't look like them, talk like them or drive a car like them. Didn't matter. I was fully accepted as one of their own.

Steelers fans outside of Pittsburgh to me are more pragmatic and just as likely to cheer or boo, depending on how the game is working out. Don't ask me which group knew more about the Steelers and football in general.

I find that it's easier to accept the bad when you have a shared identity, such as a geographical tie, and you then don't question your loyalty or if you want to maybe find a new team. That's why Bills fans are so hardcore even before this year. Doesn't matter that they suck every year, that's your team. You ride with them whether they win or lose.

The Steelers aren't my 'favorite team'. They aren't 'the team I root for'.

The Steelers are MY team

feltdizz
02-03-2021, 03:05 PM

When I met my wife and took her home she was like “I cant wait to meet some of the women in your family so we can talk talk football”

Inside I laughed..

Then she realized it was the women in our family who were some of the most obnoxious and crazed Steeler fans of them all.

But when she left the city she realized the Steelers aren’t just the our team.. its a part of us.

And with my extended family all of our trips to different cities are more fun because when we travel, we usually wear Steeler gear. Which means we meet a bunch of people from home every time we to out.

Steel Maniac
02-04-2021, 12:33 AM
I find that it's easier to accept the bad when you have a shared identity, such as a geographical tie, and you then don't question your loyalty or if you want to maybe find a new team. That's why Bills fans are so hardcore even before this year. Doesn't matter that they suck every year, that's your team. You ride with them whether they win or lose.

The Steelers aren't my 'favorite team'. They aren't 'the team I root for'.

The Steelers are MY team

Well, all the Steeler fans I know are just as dedicated as Steeler fans I know in Pennsylvania. They root for no other football team.

feltdizz
02-04-2021, 07:42 AM
lmao.. now that is funny.

Oviedo
02-04-2021, 08:53 AM
Indeed. Small sample size but one thing I always seem to notice is a few Pittsburgh natives who despise the Steelers and hate their fans.

We have an active cell of them on this board who claim to be fans but whose initial reaction is to hate everything the team does.

I guess similar to those who live in the US (and never have the courage to move) but find something to hate about the US

Not sure if that is a mental illness or what

Joel Buchsbaum
02-04-2021, 09:22 AM
When I met my wife and took her home she was like “I cant wait to meet some of the women in your family so we can talk talk football”

Inside I laughed..

Then she realized it was the women in our family who were some of the most obnoxious and crazed Steeler fans of them all.

But when she left the city she realized the Steelers aren’t just the our team.. its a part of us.

And with my extended family all of our trips to different cities are more fun because when we travel, we usually wear Steeler gear. Which means we meet a bunch of people from home every time we to out.

When I got married, my wife knew the deal. Sunday from 1:00-4:00PM is game time and that's where I will be. She knew my background and fully accepted it. To those getting married or thinking about doing it, get this stuff sorted out long before the ring comes.

Initially she tired to watch the games with me. That didn't work for more than a season, as the ref's hand signals and players dancing after a touchdown were her favorite part. Some of the comments were funny. Like how come their kicker kicks it deeper into the end zone, or why did Tomlin throw that flag, the TV replay shows he was clearly out. You just had to be there. Eventually she opted out, which is fine by me.

Northern_Blitz
02-04-2021, 10:39 AM
When I got married, my wife knew the deal. Sunday from 1:00-4:00PM is game time and that's where I will be. She knew my background and fully accepted it. To those getting married or thinking about doing it, get this stuff sorted out long before the ring comes.

Initially she tired to watch the games with me. That didn't work for more than a season, as the ref's hand signals and players dancing after a touchdown were her favorite part. Some of the comments were funny. Like how come their kicker kicks it deeper into the end zone, or why did Tomlin throw that flag, the TV replay shows he was clearly out. You just had to be there. Eventually she opted out, which is fine by me.

Honestly, I think it sucks that you and your wife can't share something cool. My wife wasn't a big football fan, but she really got into it when we were married. I think because she knew that I was really passionate about it. And because I didn't make fun of her for asking questions that seemed stupid to someone who had followed the game for a long time.

Also...I'd say you should try to enjoy your 1 - 4 PM window while you can. If you intend to have a family, you probably won't be able to (and honestly you may not want to) block that time out every week.

feltdizz
02-04-2021, 11:23 AM

once my wife went home it clicked with her.. and she will were the gear and bring positive vibes when I’m watching but she realized Steeler games aren’t the time to ask questions.

The Steeler/AZ superbowl is where she also finally understood why I scream and get angry when we are up 2 scores.. lol

Mostly tho, she just needs the team we are playing, who won and who had a good game so she can clap back when someone challenged her when she is wearing something with Pittsburgh on it.

feltdizz
02-04-2021, 11:27 AM
Honestly, I think it sucks that you and your wife can't share something cool. My wife wasn't a big football fan, but she really got into it when we were married. I think because she knew that I was really passionate about it. And because I didn't make fun of her for asking questions that seemed stupid to someone who had followed the game for a long time.

Also...I'd say you should try to enjoy your 1 - 4 PM window while you can. If you intend to have a family, you probably won't be able to (and honestly you may not want to) block that time out every week.

nah.. I disagree. My wife and I have so much other stuff we enjoy together, I appreciate that she gives me space to watch the games.

but these kids? 2 girls under 6 and if they want to go outside and play or go to the playground.. well, the game will have to wait.

Northern_Blitz
02-04-2021, 12:13 PM
nah.. I disagree. My wife and I have so much other stuff we enjoy together, I appreciate that she gives me space to watch the games.

but these kids? 2 girls under 6 and if they want to go outside and play or go to the playground.. well, the game will have to wait.

I've got 3 girls 3, 8, and 10. And they're still of ages where they want to do stuff with the old man.

Trying not to end up like the guy in "Cat's in the Cradle" :p.

Certainly batting less than 1.000 though.

feltdizz
02-04-2021, 03:15 PM
I've got 3 girls 3, 8, and 10. And they're still of ages where they want to do stuff with the old man.

Trying not to end up like the guy in "Cat's in the Cradle" :p.

Certainly batting less than 1.000 though.

at least we know we will be taken care of once we really get old