PDA

View Full Version : 3 Steeler coaches who can't afford to lose

steeler_george
01-09-2021, 06:29 AM
https://stillcurtain.com/2021/01/08/3-steelers-coaches-team-cant-afford-lose-2021/2/

1) Austin
2) Ike
3) Dunbar

This is one of the worst Steeler sites I read daily, but I am a Steeler junkie, who can't get enough Steeler info.
And is a pretty good read.

With that said, as I was reading this Austin guy caught my eye, he flipped the DB grouping to one of the best in the league. He even did wonders for our draft picks and free agents.
Can't give him enough credit.

thoughts?

NorthCoast
01-09-2021, 09:08 AM
Austin hasn't done much with Layne. Dude got owned last week.

Captain Lemming
01-09-2021, 11:34 AM
https://stillcurtain.com/2021/01/08/3-steelers-coaches-team-cant-afford-lose-2021/2/

1) Austin
2) Ike
3) Dunbar

This is one of the worst Steeler sites I read daily, but I am a Steeler junkie, who can't get enough Steeler info.
And is a pretty good read.

With that said, as I was reading this Austin guy caught my eye, he flipped the DB grouping to one of the best in the league. He even did wonders for our draft picks and free agents.
Can't give him enough credit.

thoughts?

Yet again an example of how talent makes coaches look good.

The article fails to realize our pass defense was top 5 in 2017. It went from horrible to top 5 with the addition of Haden.

That top 5 pass defense in 2017 feature Artie Burns at corner and Sean Davis and Mike Mitchell at safety. It was not coached by Austin.

NOBODY BUT HADEN would start on our secondary today.

Austin 2019?
After a 0-3 start we added OUR BEST SECONDARY PLAYER SINCE TROY, and guess what? Our pass defense is top 5 for two straight years. Is that coaching? How much coaching did it take for Minkah to look like an all pro safety? Day one with zero offseason to be coached he was a beast.

Am I deathly afraid of losing Austin? No. Why?

The last number one Steeler pass defense was coached by Carnell Lake. Yes the guy who everybody wanted gone. Funny how Lake was fine until Troy and Ike got old. Number one pass defense in the league.

Fun fact. Lake coached more number one pass defenses than the entire Cowher era.

But he got real "dumb" and got all the blame when Willie Gay was his best corner. :)

My prediction?

As long as we keep our talent, our next secondary coach will likely be just as "smart" as Austin. If we lose our talent the next secondary coach will be an idiot. :).

Northern_Blitz
01-09-2021, 01:20 PM

And as always we're left wondering how much is on the coach and how much about the player.

Northern_Blitz
01-09-2021, 01:25 PM
Yet again an example of how talent makes coaches look good.

The article fails to realize our pass defense was top 5 in 2017. It went from horrible to top 5 with the addition of Haden.

That top 5 pass defense in 2017 feature Artie Burns at corner and Sean Davis and Mike Mitchell at safety. It was not coached by Austin.

NOBODY BUT HADEN would start on our secondary today.

Austin 2019?
After a 0-3 start we added OUR BEST SECONDARY PLAYER SINCE TROY, and guess what? Our pass defense is top 5 for two straight years. Is that coaching? How much coaching did it take for Minkah to look like an all pro safety? Day one with zero offseason to be coached he was a beast.

Am I deathly afraid of losing Austin? No. Why?

The last number one Steeler pass defense was coached by Carnell Lake. Yes the guy who everybody wanted gone. Funny how Lake was fine until Troy and Ike got old. Number one pass defense in the league.

Fun fact. Lake coached more number one pass defenses than the entire Cowher era.

But he got real "dumb" and got all the blame when Willie Gay was his best corner. :)

My prediction?

As long as we keep our talent, our next secondary coach will likely be just as "smart" as Austin. If we lose our talent the next secondary coach will be an idiot. :).

I generally think you're right (players are more important than coaches).

But I guess the counter arguments are the (1) Hilton went from being a cast off to a very good slot corner and (2) Sutton seems to have gotten better too (maybe just natural maturation, maybe the coaching style fit his play better...?)

In most cases I think it's the players that make the biggest difference and coaching nibbles around the edges.

pittpete
01-09-2021, 02:08 PM
IIRC it was one play

NJ-STEELER
01-09-2021, 03:06 PM
the two defensive coaches have plenty to work with in their position group.

lets see them coach up a late round pick

Captain Lemming
01-09-2021, 04:24 PM
I generally think you're right (players are more important than coaches).

But I guess the counter arguments are the (1) Hilton went from being a cast off to a very good slot corner and (2) Sutton seems to have gotten better too (maybe just natural maturation, maybe the coaching style fit his play better...?)

Hilton excelled for us in the weird pass rush corner roll we created for him from day one. Before Austin he was making splash plays. He has grown but as you said with Sutton, there is natural maturation.

Sutton has proven to be a capable backup? That is supposed to mean something?
We have yet to see him as a full time starter. That's nice and all but...

Sing it girl:

"So Austin's coaching has turned Sutton into solid BACKUP?"

http://www.picslyrics.net/images/744933-shania-twain-that-don-t-impress-me-much.jpg

Northern_Blitz
01-09-2021, 05:30 PM
Hilton excelled for us in the weird pass rush corner roll we created for him from day one. Before Austin he was making splash plays. He has grown but as you said with Sutton, there is natural maturation.

Sutton has proven to be a capable backup? That is supposed to mean something?
We have yet to see him as a full time starter. That's nice and all but...

Sing it girl:

"So Austin's coaching has turned Sutton into solid BACKUP?"

http://www.picslyrics.net/images/744933-shania-twain-that-don-t-impress-me-much.jpg

Trying to convince me with Canadian singers.

I like it as long as it isn't Justin Bieber.

I also like how the guys in our secondary now sometimes catch the ball.

I think it's mostly players, but I also think there's something to the idea that Butler is awesome at designing what's going on with the front 7 and less good at the coverage behind it.

And I think our coaches usually work well in collaboration because we don't generally hire new hottness kind of guys.

Captain Lemming
01-09-2021, 08:37 PM
Trying to convince me with Canadian singers.

I like it as long as it isn't Justin Bieber.

NB...you know I gotta go there now. All I can say is "sorry".

"You gotta go and get angry at all of my honesty
You know I try but I don't do too well with apologies
This is a football forum, could someone call a referee?"

https://youtu.be/BerNfXSuvJ0