PDA

View Full Version : Highsmith And Dotson Make PFF All-Rookie Team

hawaiiansteel
01-04-2021, 06:01 PM
Highsmith And Dotson Make PFF All-Rookie Team

By Alex Kozora
Posted on January 4, 2021

Despite not having a first round pick this season, two members of the Pittsburgh Steelers’ rookie class made Pro Football Focus’ All-Rookie team. Those two were OLB Alex Highsmith and OG Kevin Dotson.

All year, PFF has praised Dotson for his pass protection. Coming out of college, Dotson was known for his run-blocking and nicknamed the “People Mover.” But his pass protection has been stellar all season and one reason, why we wrote this morning, the Steelers did such a historic job protecting their quarterback.

Here’s part of what they wrote:

“Dotson dominated in one area of his job — pass protection. Dotson only drew four starts on the season and played just 358 offensive snaps total, but in that time on the field, he was one of the better pass-blocking interior offensive linemen in the league.

Dotson allowed just one pressure — a hurry — the entire season in 206 pass-blocking snaps. That 0.5% pressure rate allowed is the lowest by any rookie offensive lineman with at least 150 pass-blocking snaps in the past 10 seasons. Ben Roethlisberger getting the ball out as quickly as he did played a role there, but Dotson deserves his credit, as well.”

In fact, they criticized him for a below average run-blocking grade, though that’s a statement you can make about virtually any of the Steelers’ offensive linemen. According to our sack breakdown, we charged Dotson for just a half-sack the entire season. He wasn’t functioning as a 16-game starter but his performance in pass pro was impressive, especially facing the tough competition he saw when he did play. He’s almost guaranteed to be the team’s starting left guard for 2021.

Highsmith also made the list as one of PFF’s top edge rushers. They wrote:

“His 16.5% pass-rush win rate led all rookie defenders with at least 100 pass-rushing snaps, and he joined Young as one of two rookie edge defenders with more than 10 run stops — tackles that are considered “wins” for the defense based on down and distance. Highsmith had 18 such tackles.”

Highsmith has improved week after week and played well in Sunday’s finale against the Browns. He finished the game with nine tackles, three pressures, and one sack. Twice, he beat left tackle Jedrick Wills twice with an inside spin move.

Though it’ll surprise some, Chase Claypool didn’t make the list. That’s less of a slight against him and more a realization of how strong this rookie WR class is. There, Justin Jefferson, Tee Higgins, and Brandon Aiyuk all made the cut ahead of Claypool. Jefferson had a record-breaking season but there was a case to be made to place Claypool above Higgins (Claypool had five more touchdowns) and Aiyuk (Claypool had more receptions, yards, and touchdowns).

All three players will have key roles on the Steelers next season. Dotson, Highsmith, and Claypool will enter the year as starters after beginning their careers as backups. Elsewhere in the Steelers’ rookie class, RB Anthony McFarland should have a clearer path to playing time, Antoine Brooks’ role should grow, and Carlos Davis will return to fight for rotational snaps along the defensive line.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/highsmith-and-dotson-make-pff-all-rookie-team/

skyhawk
01-04-2021, 06:05 PM
Sure they look at stats for dotson and Highsmith but ignore the leading stats for Claypool over Higgins and Auyuk. Come on now. Why the claypool hate iut there?

SteelerMaine83
01-04-2021, 08:14 PM
High smith and Dotson (and Claypool, too) have been awesome. Guys like that give us a good shot at success next year, too, even with all our FAs and cap-hell.

hawaiiansteel
01-04-2021, 10:32 PM
High smith and Dotson (and Claypool, too) have been awesome. Guys like that give us a good shot at success next year, too, even with all our FAs and cap-hell.

Tomlin drafted well this year ;)

flippy
01-05-2021, 12:14 AM
Congrats to both of these guys. I never thought of Dotson as a pass blocker really??? Glad to see Highsmith get some credit. I like the type of players we're finding recently at OLB and taking chances on. Not every long shot is going to hit, but Highsmith has that same huge upside that TJ had coming in with little experience, but tons of raw talent and athleticism.

steeler_george
01-05-2021, 12:34 AM
well done, but pff sucks in rankings

Northern_Blitz
01-05-2021, 06:13 AM

It looks like a great draft.

Hope we can have another one next year.

I think you're right that these guys dramatically increase our chances of success next year.

It's also nice that we don't have OLB and G on the desperate need list going into next draft.

And having Claypool (with DJ and Washington) means that we're not screwed if we end up having to let Juju walk.

hawaiiansteel
01-15-2021, 02:32 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210115/75c246bfa83e93e71d91e3dd85676b66.jpg

Disco1981
01-15-2021, 02:39 PM
And...Tomlin benched Dotson for the underperforming Feiler in the biggest game of the year! Typical Dumb Ass!

papillon
01-15-2021, 02:39 PM
Nice draft w/o a first round pick (although, Minkah is a red-shirt 1st round pick :D ), 3 players that contributed is always good.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
05-26-2021, 12:13 PM
looks like Highsmith has been spending a lot of time in the weight room this offseason:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E2SVxTeXoAUfQ-u?format=jpg&name=small

feltdizz
05-26-2021, 01:23 PM
damn.. he looks like Woodley in his prime with those arms.

Captain Lemming
05-26-2021, 01:49 PM
damn.. he looks like Woodley in his prime with those arms.

Well...late season Woodley. Usually showed up for camp with a gut and looked more shredded as the season went on just in time to be a playoff BEAST. :)

hawaiiansteel
05-31-2021, 12:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGQJMv5Xq_g

Mifflin
05-31-2021, 06:26 AM
Highsmith looks like he took the off season serious and wants to be a NFL star

NorthCoast
06-22-2021, 07:47 AM
Funny how you get different opinions from different people watching the same tape on a player. I've heard Highsmith may be lacking against the run. This guy suggests improvements on pass defense (but still has an excellent collection of pass rush skills as a young LB).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bgs0-QsNeo

Shawn
06-22-2021, 09:23 AM
looks like Highsmith has been spending a lot of time in the weight room this offseason:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E2SVxTeXoAUfQ-u?format=jpg&name=small Geez, I think someone needs to pee into a cup lol.

Captain Lemming
06-22-2021, 10:32 AM
Geez, I think someone needs to pee into a cup lol.

Let's hope he trains with James Harrison. As many times as he was tested...I'd put my money on "beat the system" over that growth was all natural.

I'm like a Pats fan on this topic. I don't care how you do it, just don't get caught :)

Captain Lemming
06-22-2021, 10:41 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGQJMv5Xq_g

I have to say, this criticism of Tomlin for sitting Dotson for Fieler, is 100 percent legit. Dude was our best lineman BY FAR.

Heck, I'd take him over DD last season. Our run game was best when Dotson played RIGHT guard during DDs injury as that was Dotsons comfort zone.

Truth is the only time right guard "looked" like typical Decastro was when Dotson subbed for him.

Steel Maniac
06-22-2021, 10:50 AM
I have to say, this criticism of Tomlin for sitting Dotson for Fieler, is 100 percent legit. Dude was our best lineman BY FAR.

Heck, I'd take him over DD last season. Our run game was best when Dotson played RIGHT guard during DDs injury as that was Dotsons comfort zone.

Truth is the only time right guard "looked" like typical Decastro was when Dotson subbed for him.

But Cap…
One particular poster is always saying we posters don’t know anything and management always knows best.

Your not suppose to believe what your eyes tell you.. your suppose to always go with management. At least according to some. :cool: :cool: :cool:

**for the record , I agree with you on your point.

hawaiiansteel
06-22-2021, 03:32 PM
Let's hope he trains with James Harrison. As many times as he was tested...I'd put my money on "beat the system" over that growth was all natural.

I'm like a Pats fan on this topic. I don't care how you do it, just don't get caught :)

I have to disagree with you on this one.

it's always wrong to cheat and give yourself an unfair competitive edge over others.

feltdizz
06-22-2021, 04:44 PM
But Cap…
One particular poster is always saying we posters don’t know anything and management always knows best.

Your not suppose to believe what your eyes tell you.. your suppose to always go with management. At least according to some. :cool: :cool: :cool:

We? Oui?

Oh, you are french now?

You sure they weren’t talking about you? j/k

I will admit my knowledge of OL performance is minimal so
when people were having that discussion I left it alone.

I like Dotson tho and think our OL will be better with him full time this year. I winder it that is part of the reason they fired the OL coach. Maybe he played favorites or didn’t trust the youngster over the vet?

Captain Lemming
06-22-2021, 09:00 PM
But CapÂ…
One particular poster is always saying we posters donÂ’t know anything and management always knows best.

I knew you would agree. I was criticizing Tomlin, it is predictable.

As far as the person says management knows nothing, and fans know nothing,
I assume you are talking about Oviedo?

I bet he’d be equally critical of the decision.
He is not the blind homer you think.

Truth is people who are blindly critical of the Rooneys or Tomlin bring out his inner homer.

Reasoned criticism is easy to agree with.

Oviedo has eyes just as you say. He saw how much worse we were with Fieler than Dotson.
If he sees this it would not surprise me at all if he agrees with my criticism as he would not see it as “agenda” driven.

Oviedo
06-23-2021, 08:03 AM
We? Oui?

Oh, you are french now?

You sure they weren’t talking about you? j/k

I will admit my knowledge of OL performance is minimal so
when people were having that discussion I left it alone.

I like Dotson tho and think our OL will be better with him full time this year. I winder it that is part of the reason they fired the OL coach. Maybe he played favorites or didn’t trust the youngster over the vet?

Regarding "trust what your eyes tell you" The fallacy is eyes are simply receptors of the outside world. The problem is the eyes are connected to a brain and the brain of a fan does not contain the same level of knowledge and expertise as a person whohas done football professionally and has access to tremedous amounts of information not available on social meeting or watching a game from your La Z Boy. To think otherwise is pure ego. There are about three posters on this site who have unique access to what could be called "insider info" and the one who complains and plays artyr isn't one of them.

Steel Maniac
06-23-2021, 10:50 AM
I knew you would agree. I was criticizing Tomlin, it is predictable.

As far as the person says management knows nothing, and fans know nothing,
I assume you are talking about Oviedo?

I bet he’d be equally critical of the decision.
He is not the blind homer you think.

Truth is people who are blindly critical of the Rooneys or Tomlin bring out his inner homer.

Reasoned criticism is easy to agree with.

Oviedo has eyes just as you say. He saw how much worse we were with Fieler than Dotson.
If he sees this it would not surprise me at all if he agrees with my criticism as he would not see it as “agenda” driven.

Has nothing to do with " it was criticizing Tomlin". :rolleyes: You need to get over that. It's just about believing what your eyes see. I'ts that simple.

I told you, Tomlin is a nice guy I"m sure. But a decade of his own players has shown that he can't win in the playoffs with his own players and coaches. That's it..that's all. Nothing more. I'm sure that Tomlin is a good guy thou. He does a more than decent job in the regular season. I've never questioned his regular season prowess.

hawaiiansteel
06-23-2021, 12:02 PM
But a decade of his own players has shown that he can't win in the playoffs with his own players and coaches.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/4cde1190bfdbe320b32fdcd2f9e1782d/tenor.gif?itemid=3799565

NorthCoast
06-23-2021, 03:45 PM

This was brought up during the season. Someone posted the reason (fairly legit) why Dotson was on the bench. Something about guys with experience at certain positions. In hindsight inexperienced guys couldn't have played much worse.

Steel Maniac
06-23-2021, 05:18 PM
This was brought up during the season. Someone posted the reason (fairly legit) why Dotson was on the bench. Something about guys with experience at certain positions. In hindsight inexperienced guys couldn't have played much worse.

Your right. It's not hard to be dead last in the league in rushing.

Captain Lemming
06-23-2021, 05:47 PM
Has nothing to do with " it was criticizing Tomlin". :rolleyes:

”I” said it was predictable. Only I can say why I know that is how you would respond. Share with the audience ONE SOLITARY TIME when has someone criticized Tomlins coaching in your 12,000 plus posts and you said, “I disagree with that criticism?”

Thus my point. You are absolutely predictable based on your history.

Of course I believe the eye test verifies my point. It is after all my point. It is just that some people’s opinions, (let’s say “whisper” so it is less personal) on Tomlin are meaningless because their track record is so ridiculously one sided. Do you for one second think whisper will show up and disagree with any Tomlin criticism?

Is his take on this not 100 percent predictable? Same with you.

You need to get over that.

You always tell me that about your sig. You say stuff that communicates things then complain that people are wrong about you. That is your fault. YOU need to accept and take responsibility for what you say and what it communicates. It says you hate that Tomlin is our coach and therefore any contribution to any discussion about Tomlin starts with that premise.

I told you, Tomlin is a nice guy I"m sure. But a decade of his own players has shown that he can't win in the playoffs with his own players and coaches. That's it..that's all. Nothing more. I'm sure that Tomlin is a good guy thou. He does a more than decent job in the regular season. I've never questioned his regular season prowess.

Nobody says you have a wish death on the man or dont think he is a nice guy. Judged by likability, Bill Belichick ain’t nobodies first choice, but he is the consensus GOAT.

As long as you have your signature, as long as you consistently post negative stuff about the coach, and the only exceptions are when goaded into conceding he is “decent” in the regular season in scenarios like this one, you communicate that you hate that he is our coach.

And that is perfectly fine. It is your opinion. But dont think that it doesn’t affect how your criticism is viewed. It is viewed through the lense of a person who’s number one focus is that the coach has got to go. Your contributions to any Tomlin discussion are to that end. Therefore, you are predictable and views on Tomlin will always be slanted to that end.