PDA

View Full Version : 1-4 in Last 5 Games

flippy
01-04-2021, 04:02 PM
Help me get excited about our SuperBowl chances.

Our OL and running game are a train wreck. Other than 2 quarter of the last 5 games, we haven’t been able to throw 10+ yards down field or outside the hashes.

Bud, Haden, Bush are missing from our D.

Our ST play has been suspect. Ray Ray isn’t the same returner. Without Boz, our KOs aren’t that great. Our coverage is so so.

We drop a lot of balls. Both LOSs get pushed backward most of the time. And our play calling is often meh.

We all kinda saw us trending toward falling apart. We’ve over performed to date.

Not trying to be a buzz kill. Just looking for the silver lining to pin our hopes. Either way I’m gonna believe in this team. I’m just trying to convince myself I’m not a complete homer.

hawaiiansteel
01-04-2021, 04:04 PM
all Tomlin's fault.

Oviedo
01-04-2021, 04:08 PM

Our OL and running game are a train wreck. Other than 2 quarter of the last 5 games, we haven’t been able to throw 10+ yards down field or outside the hashes.

Our ST play has been suspect. Ray Ray isn’t the same returner. Without Boz, our KOs aren’t that great. Our coverage is so so.

We drop a lot of balls. Both LOSs get pushed backward most of the time. And our play calling is often meh.

We all kinda saw us trending toward falling apart. We’ve over performed to date.

Not trying to be a buzz kill. Just looking for the silver lining to pin our hopes. Either way I’m gonna believe in this team. I’m just trying to convince myself I’m not a complete homer.

If you are so captured by your fears that you can't be excited to have our team in the playoffs, where anything is possible, just quit watching now.

flippy
01-04-2021, 04:10 PM
If you are so captured by your fears that you can't be excited to have our team in the playoffs, where anything is possible, just quit watching now.

Thanks for the advice. I may not watch since you mentioned it :)

hawaiiansteel
01-04-2021, 04:11 PM

flippy doesn't live in his fears:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fd/3a/42/fd3a425298cf1f44825191b5a6cd663e.jpg

Eich
01-04-2021, 04:12 PM
The main reason to be hopeful is that the offense found a way to completely flip the switch in the 2nd half of the Colts game. I've NEVER seen in my football watching life, a team go from so completely inept for multiple quarters, to on fire.

If they come out with that fire, passion, attention to detail, we can compete with any team in the league.

flippy
01-04-2021, 04:12 PM
all Tomlin's fault.

Tomlin might be one of the few positives we have right now. You could argue he's holding together a house of cards in a hurricane.

Ghost
01-04-2021, 04:13 PM
I think you just have to worry about the Browns game, not long term. Maybe Ben comes out and lights it up like the second half of Indy. That happens and I think the D plays much better as they are not on the field all the time and they know the O is doing their part. We get "2nd half Indy" Ben and this team can compete with anyone.

Ghost
01-04-2021, 04:14 PM
Tomlin might be one of the few positives we have right now. You could argue he's holding together a house of cards in a hurricane.

Plus he's on the longest challenge winning streak of his career!

hawaiiansteel
01-04-2021, 04:15 PM
Plus he's on the longest challenge winning streak of his career!

what, one? :D

Northern_Blitz
01-04-2021, 04:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF3ABq6o4fU

Ben's old and almost certainly declining. But he's still Ben and I believe that he's got the heart to gut his way through four games, even if his arm isn't what it used to be.

And whatever you think about Tomlin as a coach, his teams don't give up. They'll play to the whistle.

NorthCoast
01-04-2021, 04:28 PM
"We stare adversity in its face and laugh" - me (but I am willing to loan it to Tomlin)

flippy
01-04-2021, 04:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF3ABq6o4fU

Ben's old and almost certainly declining. But he's still Ben and I believe that he's got the heart to gut his way through four games, even if his arm isn't what it used to be.

And whatever you think about Tomlin as a coach, his teams don't give up. They'll play to the whistle.

Thanks for the video. Was having fun watching that and I hope you're right.

Maybe shaving his beard helped. Some of his best football happened when his face was clean. :)

pittpete
01-04-2021, 04:32 PM

I go hot and cold sometimes on Tomlin but this is pretty spot on currently

Northern_Blitz
01-04-2021, 04:33 PM
We've also got this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39lsdRZDTYA

flippy
01-04-2021, 04:34 PM
We've also got this guy.

I think Tomlin has to have a long talk with this guy about getting the ball. Whatever it takes.

Northern_Blitz
01-04-2021, 04:35 PM

Maybe shaving his beard helped. Some of his best football happened when his face was clean. :)

It was cool to watch it and remember some of the great plays (to so many different WRs, TEs, RBs).

He was successfully extending plays again against the Colts and maybe it was a reflection of old times.

I am going to believe that he was trying to save his body over the last 1/4 of the season when we knew we were in.

And that he's willing to play like his younger self for the next month and a half.

He saw Bettis go out on top.

And as Holmes might say: "He knows how to be great".

I don't think he'll be able to do it for the next three years.

But I think he knows that this is probably his last real chance to get another ring.

This team will live and die by Ben's play (and by the D getting pressure and generating turnovers) IMO. But I think that can be enough to win it all (although I also won't be surprised if we bow out to the Browns).

Northern_Blitz
01-04-2021, 04:39 PM
I think Tomlin has to have a long talk with this guy about getting the ball. Whatever it takes.

I just wish we could have seen a full season of this D being healthy...

Buzz
01-04-2021, 05:14 PM
Not trying to be a buzz kill.

I do appreciate that!

hawaiiansteel
01-04-2021, 05:28 PM
"We stare adversity in its face and laugh" - me (but I am willing to loan it to Tomlin)

and things of that nature, if you will.

Buzz
01-04-2021, 05:34 PM
From 1-4 in the last 5 games to 4-0 in the next 4 ...

let's do it!:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt 1:tt1:Cheers:Cheers:Cheers

Northern_Blitz
01-04-2021, 05:39 PM

Posting this also shot the little bit of productivity I had this morning.

Went down a Steelers Youtube rabbit hole.

NorthCoast
01-04-2021, 05:41 PM
We've also got this guy.

great video. thanks...

but this guy.... they didn't hire him for his disposition:

https://steelersdepot.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/StockLloyd1.jpg

I'll tell you one thing. Steeler fans have been blessed with some of the best LBs that every played the game. Whatever their formula is, lock it away from the rest of the league.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ca/e2/dd/cae2ddd075e4a33c15cef19393c96205.jpg

skyhawk
01-04-2021, 06:14 PM
The main reason to be hopeful is that the offense found a way to completely flip the switch in the 2nd half of the Colts game. I've NEVER seen in my football watching life, a team go from so completely inept for multiple quarters, to on fire.

If they come out with that fire, passion, attention to detail, we can compete with any team in the league.

Oh I do. The 1995 season where they were 3-4 with a loss on thur night to the bungles. Cowher completely changed the offense to 5 wide and they made it to the super bowl.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-04-2021, 06:36 PM

Here goes Flippy, the eternal pessimist. Flippy who has already started the "Super Bowl #7 or bust 2021" thread. :p

Reasons for optimism:

1) Last week Ben finally looked like the Ben of old. He made some of the throws and plays that we have all been questioning whether or not he can. He hung in a little longer, he planted his feet and stepped into throws instead of happy feet and arm throwing. He went deep and was accurate.

2) Unlike most years, there is no team that looks unbeatable. The consensus best team in the league has not won by a touchdown or more since week 8 against....The New York Jets. They have struggled against 5-11 Carolina, 8-8 Raiders twice (including one loss), 4-12 Atlanta, 5-11 Denver, all in the last few months. Everyone else has their share of warts as well.

3) Week 17 was a godsend to many of the aging players, and a confidence boost to some of the youngsters. This team, resting several of their best players, went toe-to-toe with a team with a few players out, but who desperately needed this victory to avoid going home, and could easily have won. In the meantime Ben, Heyward, Watt, Edmunds (injured but likely to return), Haden (Covid and getting an extra week off), Ebron (Covid as well) finally got their bye week. Guys like Spillane returning. Should be renewed energy for this team.

Oviedo
01-04-2021, 06:54 PM
From 1-4 in the last 5 games to 4-0 in the next 4 ...

let's do it!:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt 1:tt1:Cheers:Cheers:Cheers

Thats the right attitude versus the whimpering in the corner

SteelerMaine83
01-04-2021, 08:05 PM
Varsity football, baby!

Eich
01-04-2021, 08:16 PM
Oh I do. The 1995 season where they were 3-4 with a loss on thur night to the bungles. Cowher completely changed the offense to 5 wide and they made it to the super bowl.

I don't recall the '95 season having anywhere near the ineptness on offense.

fordfixer
01-04-2021, 09:25 PM

Your right all hope is lost. I guess this was a bad week to stop drinking.:p

flippy
01-05-2021, 12:03 AM

New Year's resolutions get me every time ;)

flippy
01-05-2021, 12:11 AM
Here goes Flippy, the eternal pessimist. Flippy who has already started the "Super Bowl #7 or bust 2021" thread. :p

Reasons for optimism:

1) Last week Ben finally looked like the Ben of old. He made some of the throws and plays that we have all been questioning whether or not he can. He hung in a little longer, he planted his feet and stepped into throws instead of happy feet and arm throwing. He went deep and was accurate.

2) Unlike most years, there is no team that looks unbeatable. The consensus best team in the league has not won by a touchdown or more since week 8 against....The New York Jets. They have struggled against 5-11 Carolina, 8-8 Raiders twice (including one loss), 4-12 Atlanta, 5-11 Denver, all in the last few months. Everyone else has their share of warts as well.

3) Week 17 was a godsend to many of the aging players, and a confidence boost to some of the youngsters. This team, resting several of their best players, went toe-to-toe with a team with a few players out, but who desperately needed this victory to avoid going home, and could easily have won. In the meantime Ben, Heyward, Watt, Edmunds (injured but likely to return), Haden (Covid and getting an extra week off), Ebron (Covid as well) finally got their bye week. Guys like Spillane returning. Should be renewed energy for this team.

I'm still hanging my hat on the PIT vs TEN game of 2 unbeaten teams playing in week 7 or later determines which team will go to the SuperBowl.

I also like that no team is great right now, but I would say Buffalo and Baltimore seem to be getting it all together heading into the playoffs.

I think it's going to come down to game planning and coaching/adjustments at this point. Who's going to put together the right game plans for the right teams. I also think there's a different dynamic without the fans where players on both sides can hear everything. I think it makes it a weird chess match on the field and if you have a QB that can adapt the plays at the LOS and truly run the game and keep the other team off balance, I think you have an advantage.

Hopefully everyone raises their game. I think if Ben makes just a couple plays, it will lift everyone's spirits. I think Tomlin will keep everyone calm and focused and the 17 point comeback will make all the guys believe we're not out of any contest.

It would just be nice to get leads early so our D can pin their ears back and get after the QB,

LordVile
01-05-2021, 12:18 AM

he's just mad cause jUJU can't dance no more! he'll get over it

NorthCoast
01-05-2021, 12:27 AM
Very often comes down to which team makes the fewest mistakes. All these teams are close in talent, have their holes, and are beatable. But mistakes in the playoffs are killers. Every playoff game the Steelers have lost in the last 5 yrs happened when they lost the TO battle.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-05-2021, 01:52 AM

Funny, I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue. :D

Northern_Blitz
01-05-2021, 06:21 AM
great video. thanks...

but this guy.... they didn't hire him for his disposition:

https://steelersdepot.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/StockLloyd1.jpg

I'll tell you one thing. Steeler fans have been blessed with some of the best LBs that every played the game. Whatever their formula is, lock it away from the rest of the league.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ca/e2/dd/cae2ddd075e4a33c15cef19393c96205.jpg

I know he wasn't as big a deal as the other guys on this poster. But I loved Kirkland at the time.

Just a huge beast with good mobility.

A lot of Bills fans where I grew up and the game with those 2 picks against the Bills was awesome.

Northern_Blitz
01-05-2021, 06:25 AM
I'm still hanging my hat on the PIT vs TEN game of 2 unbeaten teams playing in week 7 or later determines which team will go to the SuperBowl.

I also like that no team is great right now, but I would say Buffalo and Baltimore seem to be getting it all together heading into the playoffs.

I think it's going to come down to game planning and coaching/adjustments at this point. Who's going to put together the right game plans for the right teams. I also think there's a different dynamic without the fans where players on both sides can hear everything. I think it makes it a weird chess match on the field and if you have a QB that can adapt the plays at the LOS and truly run the game and keep the other team off balance, I think you have an advantage.

Hopefully everyone raises their game. I think if Ben makes just a couple plays, it will lift everyone's spirits. I think Tomlin will keep everyone calm and focused and the 17 point comeback will make all the guys believe we're not out of any contest.

It would just be nice to get leads early so our D can pin their ears back and get after the QB,

This.

Although I was saying the same thing last time we were in the playoffs... And it didn't turn out so well when we did the exact opposite.

Northern_Blitz
01-05-2021, 06:26 AM
Very often comes down to which team makes the fewest mistakes. All these teams are close in talent, have their holes, and are beatable. But mistakes in the playoffs are killers. Every playoff game the Steelers have lost in the last 5 yrs happened when they lost the TO battle.

This is a really interesting stat.

Not too surprising, but interesting that it's all losses.

Take care of the ball.

Get pressure so Baker gets antsy.

Hit some deep throws (which might go against 1)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-05-2021, 12:35 PM
This is a really interesting stat.

Not too surprising, but interesting that it's all losses.

Take care of the ball.

Get pressure so Baker gets antsy.

Hit some deep throws (which might go against 1)

I hope that someone shows this to Ben. Unfortunately he has played some of his best and worst ball in those games. Take the Jacksonville loss. 37/58 - 469 yds - 5 TDs. Phenomenal right? Sounds like an easy win. 1 int, 1 fumble (for TD) - lost turnover battle 2-0 and the game 45-42.

TAKE CARE OF THE FOOTBALL!!!!!!!

flippy
01-05-2021, 01:03 PM
I hope that someone shows this to Ben. Unfortunately he has played some of his best and worst ball in those games. Take the Jacksonville loss. 37/58 - 469 (tel:37/58 - 469) yds - 5 TDs. Phenomenal right? Sounds like an easy win. 1 int, 1 fumble (for TD) - lost turnover battle 2-0 and the game 45-42.

TAKE CARE OF THE FOOTBALL!!!!!!!

Its a really fine line.

He can throw 0 yard passes and play safe and go 3 and out a lot or he can hold the ball a little longer and throw down field which is riskier.

The thing is he needs to take chances to give us a shot. How does he find that line? And did Mason going downfield so much in the last game give him some confidence to hold the ball a second or two longer?

Starlifter
01-05-2021, 01:31 PM
I don’t know how to feel this week after an awful December - but this team knows the browns. We have experience and our HC will be on the sidelines. I thought the team did a better job running the ball last week so that should help keep the browns honest.

Straight up - if Ben is on his A game, we win easily.

But as mentioned above, if turnovers abound and bad Ben arrives - watch out.

But I believe Tomlin will have the team ready to go. I suspect he has the clip of mason getting bashed in the head on a continual loop right now throughout the south side.

flippy
01-06-2021, 02:13 PM
I was curious how often we punt relative to others and found this stat of punts per play:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/punts-per-play

Only the Jets punt more per play than us in 2020.

The sheer number of 3 and outs feel ridiculous, but I just wanted to see a number that shows how poor we've been at execution. That seems like a really bad stat to me that I have no idea how to explain away as it's ok and we can overcome it.

Steel Maniac
01-06-2021, 02:19 PM
Wow. Thanks for the info Flippy.

feltdizz
01-06-2021, 02:30 PM
I was curious how often we punt relative to others and found this stat of punts per play:

The sheer number of 3 and outs feel ridiculous, but I just wanted to see a number that shows how poor we've been at execution. That seems like a really bad stat to me that I have no idea how to explain away as it's ok and we can overcome it.

curious if this is due to all the 3 and outs or due to having more possessions because our D is good.

Sly
01-06-2021, 03:20 PM
curious if this is due to all the 3 and outs or due to having more possessions because our D is good.

The Steelers have the highest ranked defense and are 5th best in 3rd down conversion efficiency. So IMO it's because of the D.

NorthCoast
01-06-2021, 04:12 PM

The sheer number of 3 and outs feel ridiculous, but I just wanted to see a number that shows how poor we've been at execution. That seems like a really bad stat to me that I have no idea how to explain away as it's ok and we can overcome it.Just over 1 in 4 drives results in a 3 and out:

PIT is tied with CIN for #32 in the NFL for 3andouts/drive = 0.267

even the Jets are better 0.266 (tied w/ MIA)
WFT 0.258

IND is #1 at 0.117

Steel Maniac
01-06-2021, 05:11 PM
Just over 1 in 4 drives results in a 3 and out:

PIT is tied with CIN for #32 in the NFL for 3andouts/drive = 0.267

even the Jets are better 0.266 (tied w/ MIA)
WFT 0.258

IND is #1 at 0.117

Wow!!! ...........

feltdizz
01-06-2021, 05:43 PM
The Steelers have the highest ranked defense and are 5th best in 3rd down conversion efficiency. So IMO it's because of the D.

Not sure what to believe but its rather off that a team that is 12-4 punts almost as much as a team that is 2-14.

A stat like that really needs to have a few layers peeled back because it doesn’t add up.

flippy
01-06-2021, 06:19 PM
Not sure what to believe but its rather off that a team that is 12-4 punts almost as much as a team that is 2-14.

A stat like that really needs to have a few layers peeled back because it doesn’t add up.

I also think this tells us that the D is that much better than their stats because they need to be on the field more than anyone else as a result.

And I also think that points to how good a job Tomlin is doing because the D is really his D at this point.

I remember over exaggerating that we could be about as good as the worst teams in the league given all our deficiencies. Somehow we've been pulling out a lot of wins, but this season feels like a magic act.

I'm not even going to pretend to understand this season and hope we can keep running the magic act for a final 4 game win streak.