PDA

View Full Version : Running Game

Buzz
01-04-2021, 01:31 AM
While still anemic, it looked a little better with Ebron out and McDonald/Rader in. IMO.

hawaiiansteel
01-04-2021, 02:02 AM
true, and with Hassenauer at center instead of Pouncey also.

steeler_george
01-04-2021, 12:59 PM

I heard that as well and don't forget Hassenauer was practicing/playing at guard till Dotson came back.

flippy
01-04-2021, 01:08 PM

And with a QB throwing down the field.

Ghost
01-04-2021, 04:05 PM
Hindsight is always 20-20 and we had Bell as our RB at the time but the Steelers could have drafted Derrick Henry in 2016 but instead went with..... Artie Burns....

pittpete
01-04-2021, 04:06 PM
And a QB under center........

flippy
01-04-2021, 04:22 PM
Hindsight is always 20-20 and we had Bell as our RB at the time but the Steelers could have drafted Derrick Henry in 2016 but instead went with..... Artie Burns....

Henry would have a hard time getting yards when 3-6 guys hit him in the backfield.

Maybe I just notice some of the really bad runs, but it feels like some plays we block no one. I don't notice other teams RBs getting gang tackled like our guys.

NorthCoast
01-04-2021, 04:24 PM
Just posted this elsewhere but should include here:

According A. Moats Dotson has admitted having a very hard time adjusting to LG. He said his muscle memory is completely tuned for the right side.

Again asking the question; why are the Steelers plugging guys in where they are not their best? (Feiler is another). I know Tomlin loves position flexibility but this is making the OL and run game weaker. Maybe he has some grand plan that we can't comprehend yet.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-04-2021, 04:55 PM
Just posted this elsewhere but should include here:

According A. Moats Dotson has admitted having a very hard time adjusting to LG. He said his muscle memory is completely tuned for the right side.

Again asking the question; why are the Steelers plugging guys in where they are not their best? (Feiler is another). I know Tomlin loves position flexibility but this is making the OL and run game weaker. Maybe he has some grand plan that we can't comprehend yet.

I think given the two examples you gave:

Dotson is playing LG because there is no room at RG. Despite some struggles this season, Decastro is the Steelers LG. The other two options right now would be Dotson at RG, Hassenauer at LG or Decastro RG, Hassenauer LG. I think eveyone prefers putting Dotson and Decastro on the field over JC, and nobody is moving the veteran all-pro over to give the rookie his spot.

The Steelers thought that LG was Feiler's spot. It was a given this off-season that he would move from a position of greater importance to a position of lesser value. They then had a competition at RT that he possibly could have won if he was allowed to compete. They moved him to LG last year for one game to face Aaron Donald because they thought he was the guy. Not sure what happened, but that certainly looks like it backfired badly. I'd think that right now he is still the best RT available and Dotson is better as LG even though it isn't his preferred position. Chuks has looked like a liability at RT, and I thought he would have beaten out Banner, and was the tackle in waiting.