PDA

View Full Version : A. Highsmith

NorthCoast
01-03-2021, 10:22 PM
Finished the day with 9 total tackles, one sack, a QB hit, and one TFL. this without Watt playing on the other side. The future at ROLB without Dupree is looking very bright.

hawaiiansteel
01-03-2021, 10:24 PM
Finished the day with 9 total tackles, one sack, a QB hit, and one TFL. this without Watt playing on the other side. The future at ROLB without Dupree is looking very bright.

Bust Dupree is as good as gone.

Chucktownsteeler
01-03-2021, 10:44 PM
He is looking very good indeed.

feltdizz
01-03-2021, 11:02 PM
Young, raw but definitely a solid addition. Should see some good things from him next week.

Steel Maniac
01-03-2021, 11:28 PM

Gotta be excited about how he looks next year.

Northern_Blitz
01-04-2021, 05:53 AM

It looks like we've found another good edge in Highsmith. Which is nice because it didn't look like we had anything behind our starters before the draft.

Still need depth here I think, but starters look set.

NorthCoast
01-04-2021, 09:14 AM
He was giving CLE's LT fits yesterday and Wills was highly ranked for his play. Although Highsmith has only started 5 games he played up to 30% of snaps in other games. The best part is I see no fading during games. And he is being tutored by the best OLB in the game which is going to pay huge dividends. Once he develops NFL strength, look out!

Another Colbert gem mined in the draft... (or should I credit Tomlin?)

Captain Lemming
01-04-2021, 09:53 AM
He was giving CLE's LT fits yesterday and Wills was highly ranked for his play. Although Highsmith has only started 5 games he played up to 30% of snaps in other games. The best part is I see no fading during games. And he is being tutored by the best OLB in the game which is going to pay huge dividends. Once he develops NFL strength, look out!

Another Colbert gem mined in the draft... (or should I credit Tomlin?)

Depends on how he turns out.
Colbert= Credit
Tomlin= Blame

steeler_george
01-04-2021, 12:57 PM
One thing I saw about Highsmith is that he learning. On one run play, he contained the edge, making sure the QB actually did hand the ball off then he attacked the RB. ) in reference to his gaff against Cincy).

And oh yeah that spin move, wow....

Now who is going to be our 3rd OLB-?
OLA isn't it, Elliot- looked active, Marsh- looked the part 2 weks ago.

NorthCoast
07-01-2021, 09:25 AM
10 underrated sleepers going into the 2021 NFL Season

https://clutchpoints.com/10-underrated-sleepers-going-into-the-2021-nfl-season/

by Benedetto VitaleJune 30, 2021

2. Alex Highsmith | OLB | Pittsburgh Steelers
Bud Dupree is an elite pass rusher and it’ll be difficult to fill his shoes. However, Alex Highsmith is in a perfect situation to do so. The Pittsburgh Steelers have one of the best defenses in the league right now, and Highsmith could make them even better. With TJ Watt on the opposite end, Highsmith could be facing single-coverage when rushing the passer. Keep an eye on Highsmith, as he could emerge as an elite defender in 2021.

Chucktownsteeler
07-01-2021, 02:07 PM
I think the biggest player improvement in the NFL is from a player's 1st to 2nd year. Looking forward to seeing Highsmith on the field.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-01-2021, 04:37 PM
I think the biggest player improvement in the NFL is from a player's 1st to 2nd year. Looking forward to seeing Highsmith on the field.

Especially this year after last year's limitations.

Iron City Inc.
07-02-2021, 08:25 PM
I know we drafted a OLB but I have to believe we sign some kind of veteran OLB just so TJ an AH don't get worn out over 17 games. The rookie is going to need some time to get up to par.

NorthCoast
07-03-2021, 07:01 AM
I know we drafted a OLB but I have to believe we sign some kind of veteran OLB just so TJ an AH don't get worn out over 17 games. The rookie is going to need some time to get up to par.May have been posted elsewhere but rumor is the Steelers are looking at Justin Houston.

NorthCoast
07-04-2021, 07:06 AM
Especially this year after last year's limitations.

Interesting that Fitzpatrick is having his first offseason with the team after being with them for 3 yrs.

hawaiiansteel
08-06-2021, 03:41 AM
Highsmith is Digest Player of the Week

Aug 05, 2021
Bob Labriola
Steelers.com

He didn't play a lot, but you couldn't help but notice him when he was on the field.

Capping a fine first week of practice in pads during this 2021 training camp, Alex Highsmith carried it over into Thursday night's 16-3 win over Dallas in the Hall of Fame Game in Canton. Highsmith finished with three tackles, including two for loss, plus a sack that came on a second-and-goal from the 4-yard line early in the first quarter. Highsmith's sack helped force the Cowboys to settle for a field goal after an early Steelers turnover, and it set a tone for the game in which the defense allowed 347 net yards but mitigated the damage with four sacks and three takeaways.

Highsmith is the Steelers Digest Player of the Week.

https://www.steelers.com/news/highsmith-is-digest-player-of-the-week-x9274

NorthCoast
08-06-2021, 07:20 AM
Highsmith is Digest Player of the Week

Aug 05, 2021
Bob Labriola
Steelers.com

He didn't play a lot, but you couldn't help but notice him when he was on the field.

Capping a fine first week of practice in pads during this 2021 training camp, Alex Highsmith carried it over into Thursday night's 16-3 win over Dallas in the Hall of Fame Game in Canton. Highsmith finished with three tackles, including two for loss, plus a sack that came on a second-and-goal from the 4-yard line early in the first quarter. Highsmith's sack helped force the Cowboys to settle for a field goal after an early Steelers turnover, and it set a tone for the game in which the defense allowed 347 net yards but mitigated the damage with four sacks and three takeaways.

Highsmith is the Steelers Digest Player of the Week.

https://www.steelers.com/news/highsmith-is-digest-player-of-the-week-x9274That spin move he made to beat the tackle was incredible. I want to see more of him in run defense before crowning him BudLite.

Disco1981
08-06-2021, 07:32 AM
That spin move he made to beat the tackle was incredible. I want to see more of him in run defense before crowning him BudLite.

Spot on.Highsmih has a ton of upside/ potential.Has nice bend and moves.If he can do a better job of setting the edge, Look out for this D!

By all accounts Ingram has looked very good during camp.That would be a nice , dangerous rotation!

Eich
08-06-2021, 08:33 AM
Loved the spin move! Left his guy with broken ankles & scratching his head.

Shawn
08-06-2021, 10:23 AM
Loved the spin move! Left his guy with broken ankles & scratching his head. I'm not sure I've ever seen a spin move that looked so explosive. He is so disruptive. He is better than Dupree right now.

whisper
08-06-2021, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure I've ever seen a spin move that looked so explosive. He is so disruptive. He is better than Dupree right now.

Bud was never that good, one step better than Jarvis Jones. He had good measurables, but he was mostly just fast running straight forward, little bend to his game. TN will be disappointed in what he will bring.

papillon
08-06-2021, 12:45 PM
I'm not sure I've ever seen a spin move that looked so explosive. He is so disruptive. He is better than Dupree right now.

Dwight Freeney says hello. :D

Pappy

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-06-2021, 06:15 PM

As beautiful as that was (and it was), the Steelers were able to attack the left side of the OL all night. I wasn't paying attention to their rotation there but I don't think that move came against an NFL caliber tackle.

SidSmythe
08-06-2021, 09:28 PM
As beautiful as that was (and it was), the Steelers were able to attack the left side of the OL all night. I wasn't paying attention to their rotation there but I don't think that move came against an NFL caliber tackle.

Thats ok....I'd be disappointed if he couldn't get that move past a Practice Squad Tackle ��

Captain Lemming
08-07-2021, 09:58 AM
That spin move he made to beat the tackle was incredible. I want to see more of him in run defense before crowning him BudLite.

Run defense? Yes he is no Bud "lite". He is ALREADY better than Bud. He had no problem setting the edge last season.

And tackles? Dude has 5 starts.TWICE he had more tackles than Buds CAREER high.

Highsmith had games of 8 tackles and 9 tackles in his first 5 starts. Not only has Dupree NEVER had 8 tackles NO STEELER EDGE RUSHER HAS HAD 8 TACKLES IN A GAME SINCE TJ WATT IN 2018.

People don't know this. Highsmith had 48 tackles and only started 5 games. Only ONCE in Duprees career has he had more than 48 tackles.

Heck, Highsmith had only 5 fewer tackles than TJ Watt had. TJ does make WAY MORE tackles for loss though.

Highsmith's tackles per play are the most of any Steeler outside linebacker since James Harrison.

And dude was a rookie.

So what we saw in a quarter on run defense not only is DEFINATIVE step up from Dupree right now, he was a better run defender LAST SEASON than Dupree will EVER be.

Flasteel
08-07-2021, 11:53 AM
May have been posted elsewhere but rumor is the Steelers are looking at Justin Houston.

Did you guys forget that we signed Melvin Engram already? No way we go after another OLB, let alone the likes of Houston. If anything, we need help at ILB. I'm hoping Ingram is able to rotate at both spots.

Gotta love what Highsmith is showing us though. Did anyone else think he looked markedly bigger?

NorthCoast
08-07-2021, 04:21 PM
Run defense? Yes he is no Bud "lite". He is ALREADY better than Bud. He had no problem setting the edge last season.

And tackles? Dude has 5 starts.TWICE he had more tackles than Buds CAREER high.

Highsmith had games of 8 tackles and 9 tackles in his first 5 starts. Not only has Dupree NEVER had 8 tackles NO STEELER EDGE RUSHER HAS HAD 8 TACKLES IN A GAME SINCE TJ WATT IN 2018.

People don't know this. Highsmith had 48 tackles and only started 5 games. Only ONCE in Duprees career has he had more than 48 tackles.

Heck, Highsmith had only 5 fewer tackles than TJ Watt had. TJ does make WAY MORE tackles for loss though.

Highsmith's tackles per play are the most of any Steeler outside linebacker since James Harrison.

And dude was a rookie.

So what we saw in a quarter on run defense not only is DEFINATIVE step up from Dupree right now, he was a better run defender LAST SEASON than Dupree will EVER be.I get it. I'm on the Highsmith band wagon. Doesn't mean he can't improve though. Example, Highsmith's avg depth of tackle last season was 2.5 yds. This compares to Dupree's 1.7 and Watt's 0.5.

hawaiiansteel
08-09-2021, 03:34 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210809/d49211fb17781133f8a561dbfb40cee9.jpg

Steel Maniac
08-09-2021, 04:02 PM
I get it. I'm on the Highsmith band wagon. Doesn't mean he can't improve though. Example, Highsmith's avg depth of tackle last season was 2.5 yds. This compares to Dupree's 1.7 and Watt's 0.5.

Me too. What's to not like about the guy at this point? He's excelling and he's already farther along than Bud was at the same point in their careers.

hawaiiansteel
08-09-2021, 04:09 PM
I get it. I'm on the Highsmith band wagon. Doesn't mean he can't improve though. Example, Highsmith's avg depth of tackle last season was 2.5 yds. This compares to Dupree's 1.7 and Watt's 0.5.

that's an interesting stat, didn't know that.

where do you find great stuff like this?

NorthCoast
08-09-2021, 04:16 PM
Did you guys forget that we signed Melvin Engram already? No way we go after another OLB, let alone the likes of Houston. If anything, we need help at ILB. I'm hoping Ingram is able to rotate at both spots.

Gotta love what Highsmith is showing us though. Did anyone else think he looked markedly bigger?

Post was prior to Ingram signing.
Also, I need to fact check it but seem to recall Highsmith has one of the quickest in-game 10 yd accelerations in the NFL.

Ernie
08-09-2021, 04:18 PM
Highsmith looks like hes put on some serious mass since last year. Impressive young prospect indeed.

Captain Lemming
08-09-2021, 08:20 PM

Let's look a little more closely.

TJ Watt
Snap count 855
Total Tackles 53
1 tackle every 16 plays rounded

Dupree
Snap count 608
Total Tackles 31
1 every 20 plays rounded

Highsmith
Snap count 437
Total Tackles 48
1 tackle every 9 plays rounded

So Highsmith is litterally more than TWICE as likely to make a tackle than Dupree.

Depth of tackle? Interestingly, Dupree had 8 tackles for loss to Highsmiths 5. That is about the same when factoring in snap numbers. So THAT is not why Duprees depth stat is better.

But dude every one in NINE snaps, he is in on the tackle!!! That means he is likely making plays he should not have to make. If somebody else is not handling their business, misses and Highsmith has to make the tackle, HIS depth of tackle stat is hurt.

Watt? Well Watts depth of tackle is obscene, dude led the league with 23 tackles for loss in 53 tackles. That is like nearly half his tackles!!! That results in half a yard depth of tackle. Ridiculous. How that guy is not DPOY is crazy.

But comparing Highsmith and Dupree? Run defense? Highsmith better from day one.

Northern_Blitz
08-09-2021, 09:41 PM

TJ Watt
Snap count 855
Total Tackles 53

Dupree
Snap count 608
Total Tackles 31
1 every 20 plays rounded

Highsmith
Snap count 437
Total Tackles 48

So Highsmith is litterally more than TWICE as likely to make a tackle than Dupree.

Depth of tackle? Interestingly, Dupree had 8 tackles for loss to Highsmiths 5. That is about the same when factoring in snap numbers. So THAT is not why Duprees depth stat is better.

But dude every one in NINE snaps, he is in on the tackle!!! That means he is likely making plays he should not have to make. If somebody else is not handling their business, misses and Highsmith has to make the tackle, HIS depth of tackle stat is hurt.

Watt? Well Watts depth of tackle is obscene, dude led the league with 23 tackles for loss in 53 tackles. That is like nearly half his tackles!!! That results in half a yard depth of tackle. Ridiculous. How that guy is not DPOY is crazy.

It's probably too early to know for sure.

But it looks like we won big with Highsmith.

I think last year will be remembered as one of our better draft classes in recent memory. Especially when I remember that the 1st got us a guy who has 2x 1st team all pro nods with us already.

Ernie
08-10-2021, 05:56 AM
It's probably too early to know for sure.

But it looks like we won big with Highsmith.

I think last year will be remembered as one of our better draft classes in recent memory. Especially when I remember that the 1st got us a guy who has 2x 1st team all pro nods with us already.

Agreed. If Dotson gets his head on straight, theres no doubt last year's class will be one of the best of the last decade. Minkah, Claypool, Highsmith, Dotson, Brooks..

Edit to add McFarland, C. Davis

Oviedo
08-10-2021, 06:48 AM

TJ Watt
Snap count 855
Total Tackles 53

Dupree
Snap count 608
Total Tackles 31
1 every 20 plays rounded

Highsmith
Snap count 437
Total Tackles 48

Titans will find that they way overpaid for Dupree, just like they did for Clowney (understand he got hurt)

NorthCoast
08-10-2021, 06:55 AM

TJ Watt
Snap count 855
Total Tackles 53

Dupree
Snap count 608
Total Tackles 31
1 every 20 plays rounded

Highsmith
Snap count 437
Total Tackles 48

But comparing Highsmith and Dupree? Run defense? Highsmith better from day one.The difference may be simpler than that. Highsmith was dropped into coverage more than Dupree. A few tackles in coverage could bump that average.

NorthCoast
08-13-2021, 04:08 PM
Did anyone else notice them doubling and helping with chip blocks against Highsmith last night? Wait til Watt gets in the game.

Northern_Blitz
08-13-2021, 04:16 PM
Did anyone else notice them doubling and helping with chip blocks against Highsmith last night? Wait til Watt gets in the game.

Hope we can get the contract done and we get to see that soon.

Let's see if we can beat our sack totals from the last few years...where we've been consistently atop the league.

Hoping that the big pressure can help our CBs...where I think we'll be downgraded from last year.

Hopefully the new ILB signing and the return of Bush improves that part of the unit.

NorthCoast
09-17-2021, 01:58 PM
Said he worked on his get-off all offseason.... looks like the work he put in is paying off.

Congrats AH!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51485984447_ee2c0887bb.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2mrD8r2)Capture (https://flic.kr/p/2mrD8r2) by R W (https://www.flickr.com/photos/191750946@N04/), on Flickr

Northern_Blitz
09-17-2021, 02:02 PM
Post was prior to Ingram signing.
Also, I need to fact check it but seem to recall Highsmith has one of the quickest in-game 10 yd accelerations in the NFL.

Factcheck true on the timing the snap part anyway.

NJ-STEELER
09-17-2021, 04:00 PM
Said he worked on his get-off all offseason.... looks like the work he put in is paying off.

Congrats AH!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51485984447_ee2c0887bb.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2mrD8r2)Capture (https://flic.kr/p/2mrD8r2) by R W (https://www.flickr.com/photos/191750946@N04/), on Flickr

that's impressive especially since i though he looked a little slow and stiff compared to bud last year

hawaiiansteel
06-09-2022, 03:01 PM
Alex Highsmith wants '10-12' sacks this year — and he knows what he needs to do to get them

TIM BENZ | Thursday, June 9, 2022

Questioning outside linebacker depth for the Steelers is nothing new. That’s been going on since Melvin Ingram pushed his way out of Pittsburgh at the end of October.

But maybe more of a focus should be on getting increased production from the starters.

Well, at least one of them. I’m not sure how much more could be asked of T.J. Watt after 22.5 sacks and an NFL Defensive Player of the Year season.

But asking more of Alex Highsmith on the other side? Yes. Sure. Absolutely.

After a 2021 campaign that featured six sacks in 851 defensive snaps, Highsmith is the first to say that request is valid.

“I definitely feel I can be more productive sacks-wise. This year hitting double digits is a main goal of mine. At least 10 or 12. Somewhere around there,” Highsmith said after a recent practice. “Refining a lot of my game. Whether that’s pass-rushing or getting more physical in the run game. No matter how much of a jump I make, I feel like I can always get better.”

The “rookie-year-to-second-year jump” is something coach Mike Tomlin always likes to talk about. For Highsmith, it was more of a hop than a leap.

After playing just 43% of the snaps in 2020, that rose to 76% in 2021. With frequent injuries to Watt and Ingram’s mid-season trade, Highsmith shouldered a significant burden on the defense.

But that increased playing time hasn’t yielded the amount of splash plays usually associated with a Steelers 3-4 outside linebacker. Particularly one who should be benefiting from having so much attention frequently paid to stopping Watt on the other side of the field.

Over two years, Highsmith has eight sacks, just one forced fumble, one pass defended, no fumble recoveries and one interception.

Those numbers are somewhat similar to what Bud Dupree produced in his first two years (8.5 sacks, two passes defended, one forced fumble). By the time he left Pittsburgh after the 2020 season, though, Dupree managed 19.5 sacks in his final 27 games as a Steeler, along with six forced fumbles and 24 tackles for loss.

One issue dogging Highsmith right now is an inability to finish plays. By his own admission, Highsmith is winning at the line of scrimmage a lot. But he is rarely polishing off a quarterback with a sack or a strip.

“I looked at my film from last year and there are a bunch of plays where I beat a guy, but I really didn’t finish the rush. That’s what I’ve been working on with T.J.,” Highsmith said. “Just working on those things at the top of the rush. That’s where it matters most. I can beat the guy, but the quarterback can step up and I run around him. It’s about bending the corner more and getting the guy’s hands off me so I can finish that rush.”

Defensive coordinator Teryl Austin said the Dupree analogy is a good one in terms of Highsmith’s developmental arc.

“Bud was a six or seven sack guy for a while, then he turned a corner,” Austin said Wednesday. “He started finishing the plays, then he (was) a double-digit sack guy. The same could be said for Alex. He has got the potential to do that.”

When asked about Highsmith’s self-imposed goal of 10-12 sacks, Austin agreed that total was attainable. He also agreed with Highsmith’s self-critique of why he had come up short of threatening such a number so far in his career.

“The reason he probably brought that number out is because he left some sacks on the table,” Austin continued. “He’s got to do a better job, in his mind, of finishing and getting a guy on the ground. But he does a good job of rushing, and he does a good job of setting the edge. That’s not an unreasonable goal for him.”

Nor is it unreasonable to wonder if the Steelers will try to find another player like Ingram if one becomes available to push Highsmith as was the case early in 2021 — and maybe spell Watt with some more quality reps as was the case last year before Ingram was dealt to Kansas City.

“You are always looking to strengthen your team,” Austin said. “So if there is somebody out there that can strengthen us, just like we did with Melvin last year, then we will bring him in. Until then, we will work and coach the guys we have and see what happens and go from there.”

In the case of Highsmith, he appears to be hearing the coaching. That’s never been an issue with him. He’s become well regarded among the staff as a bright, studious, sincere hard worker.

Now he just needs the finish to pay it off.

That’s something that took about five years for Dupree to hone. The Steelers are asking Highsmith to do so in Year 3.

More importantly, he’s asking it of himself.

https://triblive.com/sports/tim-benz-alex-highsmith-wants-10-12-sacks-this-year-and-he-knows-what-he-needs-to-do-to-get-them/

NorthCoast
06-09-2022, 03:14 PM
Alex Highsmith wants '10-12' sacks this year — and he knows what he needs to do to get them

TIM BENZ | Thursday, June 9, 2022

Questioning outside linebacker depth for the Steelers is nothing new. That’s been going on since Melvin Ingram pushed his way out of Pittsburgh at the end of October.

But maybe more of a focus should be on getting increased production from the starters.

Well, at least one of them. I’m not sure how much more could be asked of T.J. Watt after 22.5 sacks and an NFL Defensive Player of the Year season.

But asking more of Alex Highsmith on the other side? Yes. Sure. Absolutely.

After a 2021 campaign that featured six sacks in 851 defensive snaps, Highsmith is the first to say that request is valid.

“I definitely feel I can be more productive sacks-wise. This year hitting double digits is a main goal of mine. At least 10 or 12. Somewhere around there,” Highsmith said after a recent practice. “Refining a lot of my game. Whether that’s pass-rushing or getting more physical in the run game. No matter how much of a jump I make, I feel like I can always get better.”

The “rookie-year-to-second-year jump” is something coach Mike Tomlin always likes to talk about. For Highsmith, it was more of a hop than a leap.

After playing just 43% of the snaps in 2020, that rose to 76% in 2021. With frequent injuries to Watt and Ingram’s mid-season trade, Highsmith shouldered a significant burden on the defense.

But that increased playing time hasn’t yielded the amount of splash plays usually associated with a Steelers 3-4 outside linebacker. Particularly one who should be benefiting from having so much attention frequently paid to stopping Watt on the other side of the field.

Over two years, Highsmith has eight sacks, just one forced fumble, one pass defended, no fumble recoveries and one interception.

Those numbers are somewhat similar to what Bud Dupree produced in his first two years (8.5 sacks, two passes defended, one forced fumble). By the time he left Pittsburgh after the 2020 season, though, Dupree managed 19.5 sacks in his final 27 games as a Steeler, along with six forced fumbles and 24 tackles for loss.

One issue dogging Highsmith right now is an inability to finish plays. By his own admission, Highsmith is winning at the line of scrimmage a lot. But he is rarely polishing off a quarterback with a sack or a strip.

“I looked at my film from last year and there are a bunch of plays where I beat a guy, but I really didn’t finish the rush. That’s what I’ve been working on with T.J.,” Highsmith said. “Just working on those things at the top of the rush. That’s where it matters most. I can beat the guy, but the quarterback can step up and I run around him. It’s about bending the corner more and getting the guy’s hands off me so I can finish that rush.”

Defensive coordinator Teryl Austin said the Dupree analogy is a good one in terms of Highsmith’s developmental arc.

“Bud was a six or seven sack guy for a while, then he turned a corner,” Austin said Wednesday. “He started finishing the plays, then he (was) a double-digit sack guy. The same could be said for Alex. He has got the potential to do that.”

When asked about Highsmith’s self-imposed goal of 10-12 sacks, Austin agreed that total was attainable. He also agreed with Highsmith’s self-critique of why he had come up short of threatening such a number so far in his career.

“The reason he probably brought that number out is because he left some sacks on the table,” Austin continued. “He’s got to do a better job, in his mind, of finishing and getting a guy on the ground. But he does a good job of rushing, and he does a good job of setting the edge. That’s not an unreasonable goal for him.”

Nor is it unreasonable to wonder if the Steelers will try to find another player like Ingram if one becomes available to push Highsmith as was the case early in 2021 — and maybe spell Watt with some more quality reps as was the case last year before Ingram was dealt to Kansas City.

“You are always looking to strengthen your team,” Austin said. “So if there is somebody out there that can strengthen us, just like we did with Melvin last year, then we will bring him in. Until then, we will work and coach the guys we have and see what happens and go from there.”

In the case of Highsmith, he appears to be hearing the coaching. That’s never been an issue with him. He’s become well regarded among the staff as a bright, studious, sincere hard worker.

Now he just needs the finish to pay it off.

That’s something that took about five years for Dupree to hone. The Steelers are asking Highsmith to do so in Year 3.

More importantly, he’s asking it of himself.

https://triblive.com/sports/tim-benz-alex-highsmith-wants-10-12-sacks-this-year-and-he-knows-what-he-needs-to-do-to-get-them/Wonder how the Titans are enjoying Dupree's $17M salary? He only started six games last season.

Buzz
06-09-2022, 06:51 PM
Wonder how the Titans are enjoying Dupree's $17M salary? He only started six games last season.

Probably a lot more than we will enjoy TJ's salary if he ends up missing most of the season due to injury

Bawb the Revelator
06-09-2022, 07:16 PM
Wonder how the Titans are enjoying Dupree's $17M salary? He only started six games last season.

Relax. This is one of the few advantages of American Finance Capitalism since Ronald Reagan offshored American Industrial Capitalism with his nine magic words. :)

WindyCitySteel
06-10-2022, 07:37 AM
Highsmith was one of several Steelers who took a step back in year 2, which is really bad. Year 2 should be the biggest jump for NFL players, otherwise you might have rookie flash-in-the-pan type players.

Claypool, Highsmith, and Dotson all need to have big years or their Steeler careers are nearing an end.

SteelerOfDeVille
06-10-2022, 12:12 PM
Highsmith was one of several Steelers who took a step back in year 2, which is really bad. Year 2 should be the biggest jump for NFL players, otherwise you might have rookie flash-in-the-pan type players.

Claypool, Highsmith, and Dotson all need to have big years or their Steeler careers are nearing an end.
by only the eye test, to me he seemed to be a solid run defender - i'm not sure if that's statistically true. He definitely needs to up the pass rush. And I think he's on the same side as Cam (who would get the double-team, not Highsmith)

NJ-STEELER
06-10-2022, 08:46 PM
I’d take 8-10 sacks from him this year.
mic he goes over that, the better off the team will be

hawaiiansteel
08-07-2022, 10:28 PM
Teryl Austin On Alex Highsmith Having Double-Digit Sack 2022 Season: ‘Absolutely Within The Cards’

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/08/teryl-austin-on-alex-highsmith-having-double-digit-sack-2022-season-absolutely-within-the-cards/

Bawb the Revelator
08-07-2022, 11:57 PM
Teryl Austin On Alex Highsmith Having Double-Digit Sack 2022 Season: ‘Absolutely Within The Cards’

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/08/teryl-austin-on-alex-highsmith-having-double-digit-sack-2022-season-absolutely-within-the-cards/

Fine. It took Bud Dupree awhile too:D

hawaiiansteel
10-18-2022, 10:35 PM
With Week 6 now over with, Alex Highsmith has regained the sack leader lead with 6.5.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FfW82m7VQAMM1wy?format=png&name=small

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp %7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

SteelerOfDeVille
10-19-2022, 01:27 AM
With Week 6 now over with, Alex Highsmith has regained the sack leader lead with 6.5.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FfW82m7VQAMM1wy?format=png&name=small

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp %7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
I'm not sure what people want from the kid... That's at least 3 weeks with a sack while TJ wasn't there... Bud's last season, he had 8 for the season... he had exactly 1 double-digit sack season for his career, that was 5 seasons in... Highsmith is on pace to top Bud's best season and still can't get love

WindyCitySteel
10-19-2022, 07:08 AM
PFF grade up to 77.4, too. May not be elite but that's easily good enough for your #2 EDGE defender.

SteelerOfDeVille
10-19-2022, 08:56 AM
PFF grade up to 77.4, too. May not be elite but that's easily good enough for your #2 EDGE defender.
I've been calling him "clark haggans" for a while now. He's good enough to be a long-term #2, and hopefully not ever ask for an elite contract

Chucktownsteeler
10-19-2022, 08:58 AM
Robin becoming Batman.

feltdizz
10-19-2022, 09:07 AM
whats crazy is Highsmith could have like 4 more sacks. He has been real close a few times but couldn’t seal the deal.

Also hope Reed is getting more comfortable and gets another one this week.

SteelerOfDeVille
10-19-2022, 11:08 AM
whats crazy is Highsmith could have like 4 more sacks. He has been real close a few times but couldn’t seal the deal.

Also hope Reed is getting more comfortable and gets another one this week.
It does seem that Reed's making a few more plays... he might not be a bad option as a cheap extend this offseason. They aren't going to be TJ - because if they were, they wouldn't be a backup for long

Northern_Blitz
10-19-2022, 11:23 AM
I'm not sure what people want from the kid... That's at least 3 weeks with a sack while TJ wasn't there... Bud's last season, he had 8 for the season... he had exactly 1 double-digit sack season for his career, that was 5 seasons in... Highsmith is on pace to top Bud's best season and still can't get love

I've always liked Highsmith. He seems to have a good first step. Makes lots of TFLs. Hasn't had a ton of sacks...but has improved every year so far. And if he says healthy will probably have around (and hopefully over) 10.

I hope we can get him on a second contract for a reasonable number. One less position to find (although we still need a 3rd edge, I'd rather not be looking for a 2nd and 3rd edge).

But edge rushers are expensive. And if he does get to ~ 10, he'll probably be in the top 10 - 15 in the league at that number.

Last year the 10th place guy in sacks had 12.0 (Landry), and the 15th place guy had 10.0 (Cam Heyward).

And while Highsmith probably benefits from having Watt on the other side. He probably misses out on some sacks that way too because TJ Hoovers them up.

NorthCoast
10-19-2022, 11:24 AM

Also hope Reed is getting more comfortable and gets another one this week.That's been his modi for a couple of seasons...'almost'. Not dogging him but if he had just a bit more speed/power he would be scary good.

I'm not sure what people want from the kid... That's at least 3 weeks with a sack while TJ wasn't there... Bud's last season, he had 8 for the season... he had exactly 1 double-digit sack season for his career, that was 5 seasons in... Highsmith is on pace to top Bud's best season and still can't get loveBud the Dud has one sack on the season, been inactive for two games. TEN is regretting that contract. Maxx Crosby rushes on 99% of passes, Dupree on 92%, and Highsmith on 87%.

Northern_Blitz
10-19-2022, 11:26 AM
That's been his modi for a couple of seasons...'almost'. Not dogging him but if he had just a bit more speed/power he would be scary good.

Bud the Dud has one sack on the season, been inactive for two games. TEN is regretting that contract. Maxx Crosby rushes on 99% of passes, Dupree on 92%, and Highsmith on 87%.

If we extend him this offseason...hopefully he develops that "scary good" play right after he puts pen to paper.

I wonder if he would have more or less sacks if TJ was playing.

As I said above, I think the tendency is to say he'd have more. But TJ is just so insanely good at getting to the QB.

whisper
10-19-2022, 11:31 AM

Yea, I am so sick of so many commentator/writers saying we "need depth" at edge rusher. Like, what do you expect, our #2 to be as good as our #1, who happens to be the reigning D MVP in the league? Sure, you'd like your #3 to offer some kind of production, but it's hardly where we need depth the most. Let's try shoring up our OTs, OGs, C and DBs before we worry about our #3 OLB, shall we?

Captain Lemming
10-19-2022, 11:34 AM
I've always liked Highsmith. He seems to have a good first step. Makes lots of TFLs. Hasn't had a ton of sacks...but has improved every year so far. And if he says healthy will probably have around (and hopefully over) 10.

I hope we can get him on a second contract for a reasonable number. One less position to find (although we still need a 3rd edge, I'd rather not be looking for a 2nd and 3rd edge).

But edge rushers are expensive. And if he does get to ~ 10, he'll probably be in the top 10 - 15 in the league at that number.

Last year the 10th place guy in sacks had 12.0 (Landry), and the 15th place guy had 10.0 (Cam Heyward).

And while Highsmith probably benefits from having Watt on the other side. He probably misses out on some sacks that way too because TJ Hoovers them up.

Keep this up and Highsmiths value will make him unaffordable.

Can only sign so many defenders to big money deals.

Captain Lemming
10-19-2022, 11:38 AM
Yea, I am so sick of so many commentator/writers saying we "need depth" at edge rusher. Like, what do you expect, our #2 to be as good as our #1, who happens to be the reigning D MVP in the league? Sure, you'd like your #3 to offer some kind of production, but it's hardly where we need depth the most. Let's try shoring up our OTs, OGs, C and DBs before we worry about our #3 OLB, shall we?

Agree 100 percent. The answer to the question,
"What if your DMVP gets hurt" is SUPPOSED TO BE it will be a devastating loss.

NorthCoast
10-19-2022, 12:36 PM
Oh my! That's what I call a pass rush move;

https://youtube.com/shorts/ow8ej2yngPs?feature=share

papillon
10-19-2022, 01:43 PM

The Steelers may have shored up the DBs by accident based on the Tampa game. :p

Pappy

papillon
10-19-2022, 01:44 PM

He's already better than Dupree and we know what Dupree signed for with Tennessee. Steelers are going to have to make hay while he's on his first contract unless he just falls off a cliff production wise.

Pappy

WindyCitySteel
10-19-2022, 01:49 PM
Agree 100 percent. The answer to the question,
"What if your DMVP gets hurt" is SUPPOSED TO BE it will be a devastating loss.

They had zero depth, they ignored it completely. That was the miss. Nobody expects to have another Watt in waiting, but it's devastating because they don't value depth.

LPMAN
10-19-2022, 02:54 PM
They had zero depth, they ignored it completely. That was the miss. Nobody expects to have another Watt in waiting, but it's devastating because they don't value depth.

Last year vs Titans Watt got banged up & was out of the game a series ot two & we brought in a guy named Derrek Tuszka. He had a sack & almost had a couple more played like a monster in my opinion that game for the little time he was in....Then i never saw him much again, got cut this year at the end of preseason. Thought he had great potential.

SteelerOfDeVille
10-19-2022, 03:26 PM
i think they got hosed because the amount of turnover they've had in the last few years on offense. From heath to bell to conner to the entire o-line to Ben - all the premium draft picks have been spent patching up those high quality losses.

BPA drafts happen when you don't have a lot of needs. In their case, they had so many holes, I think they felt they had to address them.

Point is, it's hard to get lucky with a mid-rounder like Highsmith. They tried in 2021 with Roche and lost him off the p-squad... I think he was built to be a Chickillo-like "acceptable, but not starter worthy" for a few seasons

Bawb the Revelator
10-19-2022, 03:32 PM
i think they got hosed because the amount of turnover they've had in the last few years on offense. From heath to bell to conner to the entire o-line to Ben - all the premium draft picks have been spent patching up those high quality losses.

BPA drafts happen when you don't have a lot of needs. In their case, they had so many holes, I think they felt they had to address them.

Point is, it's hard to get lucky with a mid-rounder like Highsmith. They tried in 2021 with Roche and lost him off the p-squad... I think he was built to be a Chickillo-like "acceptable, but not starter worthy" for a few seasons

Does KP8's ceiling = Hendon Hooker's? REBUILD.

Northern_Blitz
10-19-2022, 05:17 PM

This is certainly the danger with Highsmith (just like we had to let Bud go).

I hope we can get him at a reasonable amount. I do not think he'll be worth the tag. And there's no 5th year option because he's not a 1st rounder.

I think how we draft this year will tell us what we think of our chances...or maybe our willingness to tag him after next season if he has a good to great year. I haven't looked, but I don't think there's really another tag candidate after next season. I don't think Claypool will rise to that level...so probably not from his draft class. I think this is the list of UFAs for after next season...not really anyone that will threaten the tag I think

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2024/all/pittsburgh-steelers/

We need an edge this offseason to be 3rd in the rotation next year. If we use a high pick or bring in a quality UFA with medium term, I think it means we don't think we will be able to afford AH.

But the problem is that I think we already have a lot of needs to fill in the next couple years. It would be a shame to let a good player go...but that's the point of the cap I guess.

SidSmythe
10-19-2022, 06:06 PM
My only issue with Highsmith is consistency in getting pressure.
I think Highsmith is a very good Run Defender but his sack numbers don't tell the whole story.
I dont see him as "relentless" when it comes to Pressure. You sometimes forget about him and he then gets his sack....

whisper
10-19-2022, 07:03 PM
I think Highsmith is a very good Run Defender but his sack numbers don't tell the whole story.
I dont see him as "relentless" when it comes to Pressure. You sometimes forget about him and he then gets his sack....

He leads the league in sacks; what more does he need to do?

SidSmythe
10-19-2022, 07:52 PM
He leads the league in sacks; what more does he need to do?

Ummmm, get more consistent pressure?? ��

LPMAN
10-19-2022, 08:34 PM

a lot of his sacks are the QB trying to get away from Watt or Heyward who get more constant pressure. I feel the same way where it seems like he gets stone walled a bunch in a row then gets in for a sack. I'd rather he have less sacks if it meant more pressure leaving the QBS with less time to throw & get in rhythm.

It would also be nice if he read the plays as well as Watt & Heyward & stopped sometimes & jumped up & batted passes like they do. But he is doing a very solid job even that all being said.