PDA

View Full Version : Steelers path to Super Bowl

Sly
01-03-2021, 07:07 PM
IMO the best path for the Steelers would be the following. Playing the Browns is a great 1st step. I can't see the Browns defeating the Steelers. So now round 2. If the seeds hold, then the Steelers play Buffalo, a tough game but winnable. Round 3 will be the challenge. Going to KC will be a big challenge. Probably the best scenario is that the Ravens defeat the Titans and then the Chiefs or the Titans beat the Ravens and then the Chiefs. In ether case Pittsburgh would host the AFC championship game. Not that playing the Ravens or Titans would be a guaranteed win, but it would be a lot better than going to KC and having to beat the Chiefs.

I know it's one game at a time, but it's always fun to look ahead. :)

Steel Maniac
01-03-2021, 11:31 PM
That Bills/Colts game could be an upset. We are going to see at least one next week.

Chucktownsteeler
01-04-2021, 12:19 AM
One game at a time.

Northern_Blitz
01-04-2021, 06:12 AM
That Bills/Colts game could be an upset. We are going to see at least one next week.

Ravens over Titans I think.

SidSmythe
01-04-2021, 09:16 AM

I'd rather play Buffalo than the Ravens right now.

Sly
01-04-2021, 09:42 AM
I'd rather play Buffalo than the Ravens right now.

Most analysts that I've read or watched believe it will be between the Bills and Chiefs. A Chiefs/Packers Super Bowl is probably the most likely. If those teams make it, there will be lots and lots of scoring.

I'd love to see a Steelers/Ravens game since it means that both teams have made it to the AFC championship game. I

Eich
01-04-2021, 09:49 AM

I think the Ravens will win that too. But not sure that's really an upset. Ravens at full strength are a pretty good team.

In the NFC, I just don't want to see Marcia & Brown in the show. The thought of that makes me ill.

Northern_Blitz
01-04-2021, 09:52 AM
I think the Ravens will win that too. But not sure that's really an upset. Ravens at full strength are a pretty good team.

In the NFC, I just don't want to see Marcia & Brown in the show. The thought of that makes me ill.

Fair enough.

But if you look at it that way, I'm not sure any of the AFC games would be (much of) an upset.

I think all of the teams left in the AFC are pretty good.

Sly
01-04-2021, 09:57 AM
Fair enough.

But if you look at it that way, I'm not sure any of the AFC games would be (much of) an upset.

I think all of the teams left in the AFC are pretty good.

I'm not sold on the Colts. I'd put the AFC playoff teams into 3 tiers:
1. Chiefs, Bills
2. Steelers, Titans, Browns, Ravens
3. Colts

Eich
01-04-2021, 10:34 AM
I'm not sold on the Colts. I'd put the AFC playoff teams into 3 tiers:
1. Chiefs, Bills
2. Steelers, Titans, Browns, Ravens
3. Colts

I tend to agree with that. And the Steelers are the most unstable slot number 2. They could easily be in slot 3 or even deserve slot 4, depending on which offense shows up. The one that played the against the Bungles a few weeks ago is in slot 4.

feltdizz
01-04-2021, 10:36 AM
Colts playing in Buffalo in January? Would be shocked if they made a game of it.

I think we have the most favorable matchup this week in the AFC.

Maybe that was the plan all
along?

Eich
01-04-2021, 10:42 AM
Colts playing in Buffalo in January? Would be shocked if they made a game of it.

I think we have the most favorable matchup this week in the AFC.

Maybe that was the plan all
along?

Yeah - I wouldn't give the Colts much of a prayer in that game. That was a good pull for Buffalo.

Of all the possible scenarios, I think getting the Browns was the best thing for us. But I'm definitely not feeling comfortable about the game. We'll need a good bit of good-Ben.

Steel Maniac
01-04-2021, 11:05 AM
Anytime your playing a one demensional team that doesn’t run the ball, you’ve got a chance. And that’s who the Colts face. I think the game is going to be a very good game.

Sly
01-04-2021, 11:17 AM
Anytime your playing a one demensional team that doesn’t run the ball, you’ve got a chance. And that’s who the Colts face. I think the game is going to be a very good game.

Assuming the Steelers win, they more than likely will be headed to Buffalo. So your theory can be tested. I've only seen highlights of Bills games, but their OL gives Josh Allen unbelievable protection. I'd love to see the Steelers put him on his ass a few times.

flippy
01-04-2021, 12:34 PM
You could also argue the Browns got the best playoff draw in the AFC.

Nothing I saw yesterday shows me we’re going to beat Cleveland, but I’m hopeful.

The key is the D and generating Turnovers and even scoring.

For the season, we’re...

10-0 when we had the edge in TOs
2-1 when the TOs were even
1-3 when our opponents got more TOs

Seems pretty simple. Take the ball and protect the ball.

And Ben’s gotta push the ball downfield to open things up which is a double edged sword meaning he’s more likely to lose the ball. So the D needs to play out of their mind.

Northern_Blitz
01-04-2021, 01:08 PM

Nothing I saw yesterday shows me we’re going to beat Cleveland, but I’m hopeful.

For the season, we’re...

And Ben’s gotta push the ball downfield to open things up which is a double edged sword meaning he’s more likely to lose the ball. So the D needs to play out of their mind.

Yep. The sum of Turnovers and Explosive Plays are critical. And since it's probably not likely that we'll win the battle of explosive plays, we need to win the turnover battle.

We also need to be able to stop the run. Make Baker win the game (and I think we'll get the turnovers).

Finally, we need Good Ben all four games. Or maybe more importantly, we can't afford to have Bad Ben (even for a half like against the Jags).

Sly
01-04-2021, 01:14 PM

For the season, we’re...

The Browns playing at home with everything on the line beat the Steelers with backups by 2 points, and you aren't impressed? If Ben has just an average game, the Steelers win by 10 points +.

flippy
01-04-2021, 01:19 PM
The Browns playing at home with everything on the line beat the Steelers with backups by 2 points, and you aren't impressed? If Ben has just an average game, the Steelers win by 10 points +.

Depends if Ben plays like his last half or his previous 4.5 games.

Im hopeful we’ll get a boost from TJ and Cam on D more than anything else.

I really think the D needs to carry us.

Sly
01-04-2021, 01:26 PM
Depends if Ben plays like his last half or his previous 4.5 games.

Im hopeful we’ll get a boost from TJ and Cam on D more than anything else.

I really think the D needs to carry us.

I don't think Tomlin will allow the Browns to run the ball effectively. So it will be up to Mayfield.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-04-2021, 03:03 PM
The Steelers lineup yesterday was not the regular lineup minus Ben, Ebron, Haden, Watt, Edmunds, Heyward. By the second half especially I was checking the website for some of these numbers. I heard the name Jayrone Elliott more times yesterday than all of the weekly practice squad reports combined. Carlos Davis, Kevin Rader, Henry Mondeaux, Wormley, Deon Cain. Vance McDonald had a higher snap count than Mason Rudolph.

And to think, if not for the blatant miss on the roughing the passer turnover, the two point convert DPI, and a few other game changers, this game is an easy Steelers pre-season squad win against the Browns' varsity team.

feltdizz
01-04-2021, 04:53 PM

For the season, we’re...

huh? You watched our backups almost
pull off an upset in a must won game and you saw nothing?

Of course it all comes down to Ben’s arm but I saw the exact opposite. put our starters out there and we win easily. Just hoping they didn’t play down to our level and play inspired ball next week.

Sly
01-04-2021, 04:59 PM
The Steelers lineup yesterday was not the regular lineup minus Ben, Ebron, Haden, Watt, Edmunds, Heyward. By the second half especially I was checking the website for some of these numbers. I heard the name Jayrone Elliott more times yesterday than all of the weekly practice squad reports combined. Carlos Davis, Kevin Rader, Henry Mondeaux, Wormley, Deon Cain. Vance McDonald had a higher snap count than Mason Rudolph.

And to think, if not for the blatant miss on the roughing the passer turnover, the two point convert DPI, and a few other game changers, this game is an easy Steelers pre-season squad win against the Browns' varsity team.

I think Mayfield's butt cheeks get tight in games like this.