PDA

View Full Version : Carson Wentz wants out ; Is this our opportunity?

Steel Maniac
01-03-2021, 03:46 PM
Do we make a move for Wentz? Before you say no, please look at how pathetic Rudolph is today against the Browns.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30642949/sources-carson-wentz-doug-pederson-relationship-fractured-repair-philadelphia-eagles-qb-plans-ask-trade

hawaiiansteel
01-03-2021, 03:50 PM
have you seen Wentz's cap hit for next season?

NorthCoast
01-03-2021, 05:14 PM
Do we make a move for Wentz? Before you say no, please look at how pathetic Rudolph is today against the Browns.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30642949/sources-carson-wentz-doug-pederson-relationship-fractured-repair-philadelphia-eagles-qb-plans-ask-trade

Thought Rudolph did very well for his first start of the season. Actual first down on the opening drive.

Iron City Inc.
01-03-2021, 05:18 PM
Rudolph tossed it for 300 and a pair of TD's so I'm not saying he is anything more then a back up but he didn't stink today.

Northern_Blitz
01-03-2021, 05:22 PM

Can you explain how it would work under the cap?

I think there is no way to do this in the offseason.

I could be wrong, but I think it would cripple the Eagles cap and there's no way to fit him under our cap (even after cutting Ben).

NorthCoast
01-03-2021, 05:22 PM
Rudolph tossed it for 300 and a pair of TD's so I'm not saying he is anything more then a back up but he didn't stink today.

This. We've seen worse from Roethlisberger.

Steel Maniac
01-03-2021, 05:27 PM
This. We've seen worse from Roethlisberger.

I don’t think MR is a long term answer. Nice game today but we’ve gotta think to the near future.

Northern_Blitz
01-03-2021, 05:30 PM
I don’t think MR is a long term answer. Nice game today but we’ve gotta think to the near future.

The near future involves a huge cap crunch.

That's why I think it will likely be Mason and someone we can sign for as close to a minimum deal as we can.

NorthCoast
01-03-2021, 05:30 PM

Not convinced Wentz is either. Never witnessed an NFL QB crash as fast and completely as he has... (and I actually was a big Wentz fan at the draft)

SteelBucks
01-03-2021, 05:34 PM

I could be wrong, but I think it would cripple the Eagles cap and there's no way to fit him under our cap (even after cutting Ben).

Eagles will have to release Wentz. There is no way any team will want that contract. It’ll happen in March before his roster bonus hits.

hawaiiansteel
01-03-2021, 05:40 PM

Steel Maniac does not let facts and reality get in the way of his delusional thoughts and ideas.

Northern_Blitz
01-03-2021, 05:41 PM
Eagles will have to release Wentz. There is no way any team will want that contract. It’ll happen in March before his roster bonus hits.

If they do, I'm pretty sure they get $60M in dead money.

The cap will probably be at or below $200M.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/carson-wentz-18950/

That's what I meant when I said that it will cripple their cap to get rid of him.

I think there is a 0% chance they outright release him and maybe a slightly higher chance they trade him. Maybe if they time a trade right it's slightly less horrible for them.

If their new QB ends up being any good, it's too bad they've destroyed the benefits from having a cheap rookie QB contract.

steeler_george
01-03-2021, 05:48 PM

Really dude, I always thought your posts were excellent and thoughtful.

I like(d) Wentz too, but I am not sure he is fixable. He played worst than Donalds with Gase as a coach.

SteelBucks
01-03-2021, 05:51 PM
If they do, I'm pretty sure they get $60M in dead money.

The cap will probably be at or below $200M.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/carson-wentz-18950/

That's what I meant when I said that it will cripple their cap to get rid of him.

I think there is a 0% chance they outright release him and maybe a slightly higher chance they trade him. Maybe if they time a trade right it's slightly less horrible for them.

If their new QB ends up being any good, it's too bad they've destroyed the benefits from having a cheap rookie QB contract.

They can’t keep him for multiple reasons. First, he hates Pederson so that relationship is done. Second, you can’t pay a backup QB premium starter money.

Eagles are in a pinch. Glad it’s them and not us.

SidSmythe
01-03-2021, 06:00 PM
PASS ... not a Wentz Pass either
Just a "pass" on this ludicrous idea.

feltdizz
01-03-2021, 06:02 PM
ehh, Mason looked really good today. I hate his footwork but he throws a beautiful deep ball.

I actually think he may be the future. That last TD drive was awesome.

BURGH86STEEL
01-03-2021, 06:09 PM
I don't think the Eagles will move on from Wentz until after next season. It's to big of a cap hit and a lot of money for the organization to throw away and get nothing in return. I doubt Wentz would return money even if there was a way for to return money.

The Eagles would be better served letting go of the coach than the QB. Maybe bring in a coach that can rehabilitate Wentz? The soonest the Eagles can realistically move on from Wentz is in 2022. Even then they would suffer a 24.5 mill cap hit.

Definitely not a good situation for the organization or the player.

steeler_george
01-03-2021, 06:11 PM
They can’t keep him for multiple reasons. First, he hates Pederson so that relationship is done.

Where did that come from...

hawaiiansteel
01-03-2021, 06:14 PM

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/eagles-carson-wentz-wants-trade-quarterback-benched-jalen-hurts-three-starts-fractured-relationship-doug-pederson-20210103.html

Sly
01-03-2021, 06:28 PM
I don't think the Eagles will move on from Wentz until after next season. It's to big of a cap hit and a lot of money for the organization to throw away and get nothing in return. I doubt Wentz would return money even if there was a way for to return money.

The Eagles would be better served letting go of the coach than the QB. Maybe bring in a coach that can rehabilitate Wentz? The soonest the Eagles can realistically move on from Wentz is in 2022. Even then they would suffer a 24.5 mill cap hit.

Teams have to get the QB position correct. Pay too much for a mediocre QB and it can hamstring a team for years. It happened to the Ravens with Flacco.

SteelBucks
01-03-2021, 06:40 PM

I live in Philly and there was a report this morning. Pederson is coming back as HC and Wentz in return asked for a trade. The report said their relationship is “strained”. Take it for what it’s worth.

SteelBucks
01-03-2021, 06:41 PM
https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/eagles-carson-wentz-wants-trade-quarterback-benched-jalen-hurts-three-starts-fractured-relationship-doug-pederson-20210103.html

Thanks. That’s the article I was looking for.

Northern_Blitz
01-03-2021, 06:43 PM
They can’t keep him for multiple reasons. First, he hates Pederson so that relationship is done. Second, you can’t pay a backup QB premium starter money.

Eagles are in a pinch. Glad it’s them and not us.

Ya, they're kind of screwed.

I think they have to keep him though, especially because I don't think anyone will trade for that contract given his play on the field.

And cutting him will be kind of devastating IMO.

Best case for them might be to just tell him to stay home for the year or something...

Northern_Blitz
01-03-2021, 06:43 PM

This. It's much easier for them to get rid of him after next season.

SteelBucks
01-03-2021, 06:47 PM
Ya, they're kind of screwed.

I think they have to keep him though, especially because I don't think anyone will trade for that contract given his play on the field.

And cutting him will be kind of devastating IMO.

Best case for them might be to just tell him to stay home for the year or something...

This may be their only move...stay home. It’s a major distraction if he’s around the team. Both sides have obviously moved on.

NorthCoast
01-03-2021, 07:51 PM
I live in Philly and there was a report this morning. Pederson is coming back as HC and Wentz in return asked for a trade. The report said their relationship is “strained”. Take it for what it’s worth.Doesn't matter. No sane GM will take that cap hit in a cap strapped season.

SteelBucks
01-03-2021, 08:05 PM
Doesn't matter. No sane GM will take that cap hit in a cap strapped season.

It will be a fun story to follow.

hawaiiansteel
01-03-2021, 08:26 PM

Wentz's contract is so bad Philly would have to throw in a draft pick to get anyone to take him.

steeler_george
01-03-2021, 09:03 PM

I think they will have to offer another big cap to make it work, or Philly offer draft picks plus Wentz just to move him.

Steel Maniac
01-03-2021, 09:45 PM
They are going to have to get creative and move him. It’s going to be too toxic having him still around on that team. They can find a way to move that contract if they really have to. Maybe some type of concessions they can ask of him from that contract to help facilitate a trade.

papillon
01-03-2021, 11:30 PM
Can Wentz void his contract and have the Eagles release him so that his next team starts from scratch with a contract? Or, would the NFLPA not allow something like that? I'm sure people will say "Why would Wentz give up the money?" Most wouldn't but it depends how badly he wants out.

Pappy

Chucktownsteeler
01-04-2021, 12:20 AM
I doubt this happens. No, he can’t void his contract.

Northern_Blitz
01-04-2021, 06:15 AM
They are going to have to get creative and move him. It’s going to be too toxic having him still around on that team. They can find a way to move that contract if they really have to. Maybe some type of concessions they can ask of him from that contract to help facilitate a trade.

It's a huge risk to take on that contract. Especially since he's already been the 2nd best QB on his team to two other guys with less pedigree.

Teams are desperate for QB play so maybe someone takes him on.

But I really hope it's not us.

Maybe after they can cut him next year.

NorthCoast
01-04-2021, 08:48 AM
Can Wentz void his contract and have the Eagles release him so that his next team starts from scratch with a contract? Or, would the NFLPA not allow something like that? I'm sure people will say "Why would Wentz give up the money?" Most wouldn't but it depends how badly he wants out.

PappyI don't think he can void his contract.... but he could void his bowels, which he's done on the field...:eek:

Eich
01-04-2021, 09:54 AM
Well, there's now 3 QBs on the list of potentials that the Steelers could bring in and try to fix! Haskins, Darnold, Wentz.

Blah

Will be interesting to follow the careers of these 3 though. All had very high expectations in the league. You'd think at least one of them will pan out.

Captain Lemming
01-04-2021, 10:10 AM
Well, there's now 3 QBs on the list of potentials that the Steelers could bring in and try to fix! Haskins, Darnold, Wentz.

Blah

Will be interesting to follow the careers of these 3 though. All had very high expectations in the league. You'd think at least one of them will pan out.

When was the last time a high pedigree QB who flopped, go on to success on a other team?

feltdizz
01-04-2021, 10:27 AM
When was the last time a high pedigree QB who flopped, go on to success on a other team?

good question. This is why I think Haskins is the best option of the 3. Only played 13 games in a bad org where none of the coaches really wanted him and I believe he was over drafted.

He’s cheap too.

I’ve seen enough of Darnold to know he isn’t the answer. Wentz may still have something left but that contract is massive.

Sly
01-04-2021, 10:27 AM

Couldn't agree more. When did the Steelers make the playoffs nearly every year? When they had their franchise QBs: Roethlisberger and Bradshaw. They were homegrown products and not reclamation projects. The Steelers have to find their next Roethlisberger.

Eich
01-04-2021, 10:30 AM

Don't know that there's ever been someone in that exact scenario. But there have been surprises like Kurt Warner, who was passed over.

Of these 3 - Haskins, Darnold, Wentz - at least Wentz proved he could play in the NFL. I think he has the best chance of being "fixed", if that's possible. His is a very mental problem, I think.

I'd rather not take on the job of fixer.

Northern_Blitz
01-04-2021, 10:44 AM
Couldn't agree more. When did the Steelers make the playoffs nearly every year? When they had their franchise QBs: Roethlisberger and Bradshaw. They were homegrown products and not reclamation projects. The Steelers have to find their next Roethlisberger.

And in the 90s with various cast of QBs.

But that was when running and defense mattered more then they do today. So maybe it's different now?

Eich
01-04-2021, 10:52 AM
And in the 90s with various cast of QBs.

But that was when running and defense mattered more then they do today. So maybe it's different now?

I don't think it's all that different now. Defense still matters. And while the running game takes on different forms, it's still important.

Can't be one-dimensional and expect a ring.

Steel Maniac
01-04-2021, 11:00 AM
I don't think it's all that different now. Defense still matters. And while the running game takes on different forms, it's still important.

Can't be one-dimensional and expect a ring.

Which is why I don’t think Buffalo will win a ring the way their currently constructed. Bills are super one demensional.

Northern_Blitz
01-04-2021, 11:37 AM
Which is why I don’t think Buffalo will win a ring the way their currently constructed. Bills are super one demensional.

Sadly, so are we.

Eich
01-04-2021, 11:53 AM
Sadly, so are we.

And sometimes, we're dimension-less.

hawaiiansteel
01-04-2021, 12:05 PM

Bills will never win a Super Bowl with Sean McDermott, it's time for Bills fans to stop holding on for what he's done with Anthony Lynn's players.

feltdizz
01-04-2021, 01:06 PM

We went to the playoffs 10 times between 1984 to 2003 with 1 SB appearance and 5AFCCG appearances.

We really weren’t nearly as bad as some suggest. We just couldn’t win the big game and some of that was due to our teams coming out tight. Defense always had a huge gaffe in those games.

Cowher also wasn’t a fan of drafting QB’s. This Sunday he said if he had to build a franchise he would pick Josh Allen as his QB. Josh Allen over Mahomes.. thats all you need to know about his philosophy when it came to the QB position.

NorthCoast
01-04-2021, 01:36 PM

Blah

Will be interesting to follow the careers of these 3 though. All had very high expectations in the league. You'd think at least one of them will pan out.All three of the QBs suffer the same problem (at least so far in their careers). Deep passing (20+ yds) accuracy is below the NFL avg. Rudolph has better accuracy than all three.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-04-2021, 03:09 PM
Wentz's contract is so bad Philly would have to throw in a draft pick to get anyone to take him.

Philly: "We'll give you Wentz, and our first round pick in each of the next three years in return for one NFL football".

Any other team: "Sorry, we can only offer a Nerf.....and we want a fourth first rounder."

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-04-2021, 03:53 PM
To go to the original question, no chance the Steelers could trade for Wentz because he is still too expensive for a reclamation project. Darnold (who I think the Jets keep) or Haskins would come cheap.

Darnold has a salary/roster bonus in 2021 under $4.8M. Backup QB money. I guess there is fifth year option for 2022 then you see what he has proven before offering a big contract. Haskins has already been released do whatever you offer him, no more needed. I can't see anything more than Darnold money, probably much less.

The cost on Wentz is ridiculous. He would cost over $30M (salary and roster bonuses high, SB low) each of the next three years if you keep him that long. Even dumping him any year is a $6M dead cap hit. Usually it is free to a team who trades for a player. The only hope if you want him cheap is that he is released by Philly, but for them to do that they will have to take a dead cap hit of over $59M in 2021 (same if they trade him). Then he is a FA and some desperate team will give him more than what the Steelers would - and I wish them luck because I want no part of that.

Northern_Blitz
01-04-2021, 04:08 PM
To go to the original question, no chance the Steelers could trade for Wentz because he is still too expensive for a reclamation project. Darnold (who I think the Jets keep) or Haskins would come cheap.

Darnold has a salary/roster bonus in 2021 under $4.8M. Backup QB money. I guess there is fifth year option for 2022 then you see what he has proven before offering a big contract. Haskins has already been released do whatever you offer him, no more needed. I can't see anything more than Darnold money, probably much less.

The cost on Wentz is ridiculous. He would cost over $30M (salary and roster bonuses high, SB low) each of the next three years if you keep him that long. Even dumping him any year is a $6M dead cap hit. Usually it is free to a team who trades for a player. The only hope if you want him cheap is that he is released by Philly, but for them to do that they will have to take a dead cap hit of over $59M in 2021 (same if they trade him). Then he is a FA and some desperate team will give him more than what the Steelers would - and I wish them luck because I want no part of that.

And yet, I assume that we'll continue to get a new thread about doing this every week or so.

NorthCoast
01-04-2021, 04:17 PM
And yet, I assume that we'll continue to get a new thread about doing this every week or so.you'll just have to keep reminding them how impossible it is ...:)

whisper
01-04-2021, 04:30 PM
The near future involves a huge cap crunch.

That's why I think it will likely be Mason and someone we can sign for as close to a minimum deal as we can.

MR could develop into a QB as good as Malone, Brister, O'Donnell, Tomczak, Maddox...and we put up with that crap for over 2 decades. And we could very well again.

feltdizz
01-04-2021, 04:38 PM
MR could develop into a QB as good as Malone, Brister, O'Donnell, Tomczak, Maddox...and we put up with that crap for over 2 decades. And we could very well again.

we had 10 playoff appearances, 5 AFC Champion games, won 1 AFC Championship and had 1 SB appearance during those “crap” years.

whisper
01-04-2021, 05:06 PM

I never got why so many were so high on Wentz, but I kept watching for games where he played as well as people were claiming...but I never did. And since their SB season, he has never looked that great (nor was he the QB who went on a run to the SB win, Foles was). And now he's obviously trash, if he ever was that great to begin with.

There is no way we should pick him up, unless at vet minimum, and I don't see that happening.

Northern_Blitz
01-04-2021, 05:35 PM
you'll just have to keep reminding them how impossible it is ...:)

https://media1.tenor.com/images/4f491b538b0ffc737ba21a6c52721094/tenor.gif

Northern_Blitz
01-04-2021, 05:37 PM

I'd certainly take O'Donnell (SB aside). Or Kordell, who was good when he was good even though he was maddeningly inconsistent.

Northern_Blitz
01-04-2021, 05:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu2KkbEdQbg

McAfee says (jokingly) that all it will take is Wentz giving back like $20M (which is basically never going to happen).

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-04-2021, 06:12 PM
And yet, I assume that we'll continue to get a new thread about doing this every week or so.

Probably. I think that even if you take the massive amount of money out of the equation, I'm not rushing to get him.

KYPITTFAN
01-04-2021, 06:20 PM
What do people want from a QB that has not played in over a year? He was over 300 yards (5 drops) 2 Td's and 1INT which was really his only bad play off the game. He stretched the field, made good reads and was accurate. With under 3 min he lead his team down and got a TD. If not for a missed PI call who knows? MR had no running game for support. But you say he did not stink it up.

Northern_Blitz
01-04-2021, 06:24 PM
What do people want from a QB that has not played in over a year? He was over 300 yards (5 drops) 2 Td's and 1INT which was really his only bad play off the game. He stretched the field, made good reads and was accurate. With under 3 min he lead his team down and got a TD. If not for a missed PI call who knows? MR had no running game for support. But you say he did not stink it up.

I'm guessing most of us (including myself here) would have predicted he would have done (much?) worse than he did.

That's a good thing IMO

SteelBucks
01-04-2021, 06:34 PM
we had 10 playoff appearances, 5 AFC Champion games, won 1 AFC Championship and had 1 SB appearance during those “crap” years.

Zero championships. Just saying.....

SteelBucks
01-04-2021, 06:40 PM

I’d go back to Stoudt, Malone, Blackledge and Woodley when defining our crap years. Now those were dark.

feltdizz
01-04-2021, 06:46 PM
Zero championships. Just saying.....

Thanks Captain.. lol

If winning SB’s is the only reason to watch your team that’s a lot of crappy years of football.

hawaiiansteel
01-04-2021, 06:54 PM
If winning SB’s is the only reason to watch your team that’s a lot of crappy years of football.

the Steelers were founded in 1933, and we only have six Super Bowl victories to show for all that time.

82 years of crappy football...

SteelBucks
01-04-2021, 06:59 PM
Thanks Captain.. lol

I was spoiled. Born in ‘73 so my first memories of Steelers football was winning Super Bowls. I didn’t realize how hard it was until the dynasty began to retire.

I’ve enjoyed every season. It’s nice having a franchise QB though to rely on. We wasted a lot of championship defenses with band-aid quarterbacks.

NJ-STEELER
01-04-2021, 07:28 PM

depends what you mean by flopped and success.

did favre play at all with Atlanta before bring traded to Green Bay?

Don’t remember much of tommy Maddox in Denver.
was a 1st rounder for them.

Miami gave up pretty quickly on tannehill

Does jeff George qualify?

testaverde?

SteelerMaine83
01-04-2021, 07:54 PM
No. Just no. He’s at this time a high priced (I.e. we can’t afford) player that makes horrible decisions.

We will likely go a number of years without a true franchise QB. I’ve been a Steelers fan since 1973 (when I was eight). Even the “bad years” are fun.

We have been spoiled lately with a future HOF QB who gives us a chance to win every time he steps on the field. Who knows how many titles we’d have if his career didn’t coincide with the GOAT (hate to say that, but yeah). Probably no less than 4.

hawaiiansteel
02-06-2021, 04:40 PM
I'm guessing it's with the Colts.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Eagles are expected to trade Carson Wentz in the coming days in what would be the latest blockbuster QB deal to rock the NFL, sources tell
@mortreport and me. The most pertinent questions now become where, when and for what. But it could happen as early as this week.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1358147327282806787

feltdizz
02-06-2021, 09:18 PM
I was spoiled. Born in ‘73 so my first memories of Steelers football was winning Super Bowls. I didn’t realize how hard it was until the dynasty began to retire.

I’ve enjoyed every season. It’s nice having a franchise QB though to rely on. We wasted a lot of championship defenses with band-aid quarterbacks.

haha.. I was born in 73 as well. I barely remember those championships. The problem in the 80’s were nothing but Steeler SB memories of the 70’s.. but the reality is most of our actual live football memories of Steeler football don’t involve SB’s.

BURGH86STEEL
02-06-2021, 09:30 PM
the Steelers were founded in 1933, and we only have six Super Bowl victories to show for all that time.

82 years of crappy football...
People don't realize how difficult it is to win championships. When people can't evolve their sports experience then it's extremely difficult to reason with the "it's only about the championships" folks.

I can measure success without the championships. Ben only won 2 Superbowls but he had a successful career.

BURGH86STEEL
02-06-2021, 09:37 PM
haha.. I was born in 73 as well. I barely remember those championships. The problem in the 80’s were nothing but Steeler SB memories of the 70’s.. but the reality is most of our actual live football memories of Steeler football don’t involve SB’s.
I was born in 74. I lived through the experiences of others in my family or the neighborhood.

You are right. The Steelers experience isn't only about winning championships. It's about winning consistently. Even if the team falls short of a championship. Even in the 80's they had competitive years. I attempt to convey this message to the people that don't appreciate winning in the "short of championship years".

Joel Buchsbaum
02-06-2021, 09:41 PM

General rules. If Wentz is traded, the team getting him in the trade up his cap number. If the Eagles cut him, he can be signed for whatever amount is agreed upon as a free agent.

I thin Wentz is mentally shell shocked at this point in time. Would I sign him for a few million a year? Depends on who we draft, maybe.

feltdizz
02-06-2021, 11:04 PM
I was born in 74. I lived through the experiences of others in my family or the neighborhood.

You are right. The Steelers experience isn't only about winning championships. It's about winning consistently. Even if the team falls short of a championship. Even in the 80's they had competitive years. I attempt to convey this message to the people that don't appreciate winning in the "short of championship years".

I watched all the replays of the Steeler SB’s. We had all the newspapers and magazines and memorabilia from the 4 SB’s..

so when people talk like all they know is SB’s and these recent playoff losses is all new to them they are lying.

I always say the doomers who expected
more SB’s with Ben are proving the franchise is really good at what they do. We usually feel
like we have a chance to win a SB and a lot
of teams can’t say that. The expectations are jaded but its good to root for a franchise that keeps a competitive team year after year.

Steel Maniac
02-06-2021, 11:42 PM
People don't realize how difficult it is to win championships. When people can't evolve their sports experience then it's extremely difficult to reason with the "it's only about the championships" folks.

I can measure success without the championships. Ben only won 2 Superbowls but he had a successful career.

There are no “ it’s only about championship” posters. You continue to slur people who are talking about a coach who wasted an entire decade (and more; and counting) ) of good to great teams with consistent playoff failure year after year.

We are talking about a coach who can’t win no matter how great the team is.

Name a modern day coach who can get 10 years or more of repeated playoff failure and keep a job? There are none.

hawaiiansteel
02-06-2021, 11:49 PM
There are no “ it’s only about championship” posters. You continue to slur people who are talking about a coach who wasted an entire decade (and more; and counting) ) of good to great teams with consistent playoff failure year after year.

Name a modern day coach who can get 10 years or more of repeated playoff failure and keep a job? There are none.

Sean Payton.

Bill Cowher before him.

feltdizz
02-07-2021, 11:10 AM
Sean Payton.

Bill Cowher before him.

well that was easy

feltdizz
02-07-2021, 11:13 AM

SM: there are no “its only about championship” posters...

next sentence

SM: He hasn’t won a championship since..

lmao

hawaiiansteel
02-07-2021, 01:01 PM
well that was easy

Bill Cowher never would have won a Super Bowl if Steel Maniac had any say.

can you imagine SM's constant whining about Cowher never being able to win a championship blah blah blah?

I'm sure he would have had a Cowher sig too...

feltdizz
02-07-2021, 03:12 PM

can you imagine SM's constant whining about Cowher never being able to win a championship blah blah blah?

probably didn’t follow the Steelers back then... lol.

Northern_Blitz
02-07-2021, 03:29 PM

We don't have to imagine it.

We had guys like Crash.

SteelBucks
02-07-2021, 04:49 PM
Sounds like Wentz may be headed to Chicago. Indy has also been mentioned but the Bears may have the edge.

hawaiiansteel
02-07-2021, 04:58 PM
Sounds like Wentz may be headed to Chicago. Indy has also been mentioned but the Bears may have the edge.

yeah, I've heard the Bears' offer includes a 1st and a 3rd this year along with Nick Foles.

Oviedo
02-07-2021, 05:44 PM

I want to be in the mix every year. Not be lost in the football wilderness for 4-5 years.

Steelers and Penguins both got it right

Steel Maniac
02-13-2021, 03:28 AM

Got a question...

If Colbert is willing to use the 24th overall pick on a QB ( Trask for argument sake) , would you rather Colbert offer the Eagles the first round pick for Wentz? Mind you, this multiple 1st round picks desire the Eagles have will never happen and the price will come down considerably. So much so it will probably be a 1st and at the most.

hawaiiansteel
02-13-2021, 03:34 AM
NFL rumors: Eagles legend reveals Colts’ trade offer for quarterback Carson Wentz

By Mike Kaye | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

The Indianapolis Colts have offered the Eagles -- at least -- a pair of draft picks for quarterback Carson Wentz, according to Philadelphia legend Ron Jaworski.

While speaking with 6ABC′s Jeff Skversky on Thursday, Jaworski said the Colts had made the best offer for Wentz, so far -- that he had heard. That offer, according to Jaworski, is two second-round picks “and maybe a third or fourth (round pick) down the road.”

That offer is nowhere near what Eagles GM Howie Roseman has been looking for on the trade market. As NJ Advance Media has reported, Roseman’s initial goal was a Matthew Stafford-like return for Wentz.

Last month, the Detroit Lions sent Stafford to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for the Rams’ first-round draft picks in 2022 and 2023, a third-round pick in 2021, and quarterback Jared Goff.

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2021/02/nfl-rumors-eagles-legend-reveals-colts-trade-offer-for-quarterback-carson-wentz.html

Northern_Blitz
02-13-2021, 05:16 AM
Got a question...

If Colbert is willing to use the 24th overall pick on a QB ( Trask for argument sake) , would you rather Colbert offer the Eagles the first round pick for Wentz? Mind you, this multiple 1st round picks desire the Eagles have will never happen and the price will come down considerably. So much so it will probably be a 1st and at the most.

No.

Wentz is bad and has a bad contract.

Steel Maniac
02-13-2021, 11:54 AM
No.

Wentz is bad and has a bad contract.

I was curious on what some of you thought. In my mind , the jury is out on Wentz. But that contract is bad.

hawaiiansteel
02-13-2021, 12:30 PM
I was curious on what some of you thought. In my mind , the jury is out on Wentz. But that contract is bad.

and you want the Steelers to acquire Wentz's contract when we already have major cap issues?

sure am glad you're not running things.

although we would get the #1 pick in the draft every year that you were.

Northern_Blitz
02-13-2021, 01:39 PM

Maybe bad is too strong?

Maybe he's something like an average QB, a reportedly bad team mate, and has a bad contract.

And trading for a middling QB isn't a good plan. I think we should be trying to get the most valuable thing in the NFL - a good QB on a rookie deal. I think even an average QB on a rookie deal can be very good (maybe the Rams are a good example of that?)

Steel Maniac
02-13-2021, 07:08 PM
Maybe bad is too strong?

Maybe he's something like an average QB, a reportedly bad team mate, and has a bad contract.

And trading for a middling QB isn't a good plan. I think we should be trying to get the most valuable thing in the NFL - a good QB on a rookie deal. I think even an average QB on a rookie deal can be very good (maybe the Rams are a good example of that?)

Yeah .. but that would require us giving up a ton to go up and do that. I’ve been an advocate of that but a lot of posters reject giving up a ton to go up and do it.

*** Steelers brass were at Trevor Lawrence pro day. Just saying.

hawaiiansteel
02-13-2021, 07:13 PM
Yeah .. but that would require us giving up a ton to go up and do that. I’ve been an advocate of that but a lot of posters reject giving up a ton to go up and do it.

*** Steelers brass were at Trevor Lawrence pro day. Just saying.

do you think we're going to give up ALMOST all of our draft choices to move up to #1 and pick Lawrence?

Steel Maniac
02-13-2021, 09:43 PM
Colts offered the Eagles two second round picks for Wentz.

When everyone knows that you gotta get rid of a guy, they will low ball you in offers.

SteelBucks
02-13-2021, 10:57 PM
Colts offered the Eagles two second round picks for Wentz.

When everyone knows that you gotta get rid of a guy, they will low ball you in offers.

It’s not lowballing when you have to take on that contract. He’s a broken QB with a cap killing deal. Eagles should take what they can get, no matter how poor, and move on. Otherwise they’ll have to cut him and get nothing.

feltdizz
02-14-2021, 04:31 AM
He sucks..

Ernie
02-14-2021, 08:06 AM
We let AB go for a 3rd and a 5th. 2-2nds dont sound bad at all for Wentz

Northern_Blitz
02-14-2021, 08:22 AM
We let AB go for a 3rd and a 5th. 2-2nds dont sound bad at all for Wentz

I'd take it as Philly. They've already given up on him.

Steel Maniac
02-14-2021, 02:14 PM
It’s not lowballing when you have to take on that contract. He’s a broken QB with a cap killing deal. Eagles should take what they can get, no matter how poor, and move on. Otherwise they’ll have to cut him and get nothing.

Good point; I should have said the Eagles see it as low balling because they are peddling that he’s still legit. They have another QB so I’m not sure they see him as broken. They just have a guy younger, cheaper with less injuries too.

hawaiiansteel
02-14-2021, 02:35 PM

absolutely, especially considering that horrible bloated contract the other team needs to assume.

remember when Osweiler was traded and they had to throw in a draft pick just so another team would take him?

hawaiiansteel
02-14-2021, 06:59 PM
Jalen Hurts (not Carson Wentz) will gather Eagles receivers for workouts

Posted by Mike Florio on February 14, 2021

As the Eagles try to build leverage for a Carson Wentz trade, circumstances continue to make it harder for the Eagles to maximize the return on a quarterback whose contract they’d love to dump.

John Clark of NBC Sports Philly-delphia recently reported that “a group of the Eagles young receivers” plan to work out with quarterback Jalen Hurt in Texas, at some point in the next month.

No similar reports have surfaced regarding Wentz. Presumably, that’s because Wentz still wants out and because momentum has pointed in the direction of a trade for a while now.

The process has become bogged down by the team’s desire to get more than whatever has, or hasn’t, been offered. Eagles great Ron Jaworski recently said that the Colts have offered only a pair of second-round picks. The Philadelphia Inquirer also has reported that no first-round picks have been put on the table.

The question becomes whether the Eagles will take the best deal they can get before a $10 million roster bonus becomes due on March 19, or whether they’ll pay the money to Wentz and wait for a better offer to materialize later.

They’ve played the waiting game before and won. In 2016, the Eagles supposedly were ready to roll out Sam Bradford for Week One, with Wentz (then a rookie) on the bench. The Vikings lost Teddy Bridgewater not long before the season opener, and the Eagles quickly landed a first-round pick and a fourth-round pick for Bradford.

Serious quarterback injuries, especially in practice, are extremely rare, however. Even then, many teams are content to opt for the next man up than to pay a king’s ransom for a plug-and-play replacement.

The Eagles also could wait for the outcome of the current quarterback carousel. Maybe a quarterback-needy team strikes out in free agency or the trade market, making that team interested in Wentz. Maybe a team that plans to address its needs in the draft fails to get the guy it wants.

However it plays out, the Eagles are playing a dangerous game of chess, checkers, and chicken. They want more than whatever they’re being offered. To get more, they have to risk losing the offer(s) they already may have.

Ultimately, owner Jeffrey Lurie will have to be persuaded to write a $10 million check to Wentz as the seed money for an effort to attract a better bird than the one they currently hold in their hands. Given the very real chance that the money could end up being wasted, a team like the Colts needs simply to sit back and wait.

Maybe in the end the Eagles will let the roster-bonus deadline pass and pay the $10 million, if only to finagle a better trade package for Wentz. Indeed, it seems like the Eagles are as concerned (if not more concerned) with how the trade will look than they are in simply getting the best deal for Wentz that they can.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/14/jalen-hurts-not-carson-wentz-will-gather-eagles-receivers-for-workouts/

Northern_Blitz
02-14-2021, 07:07 PM
absolutely, especially considering that horrible bloated contract the other team needs to assume.

remember when Osweiler was traded and they had to throw in a draft pick just so another team would take him?

I think you spelled Goff wrong. And I think it was more than one pick :p

hawaiiansteel
02-14-2021, 07:14 PM
I think you spelled Goff wrong. And I think it was more than one pick :p

:D

you mean the guy the Rams mortgaged the farm for to move up to #1 and get their franchise QB?

because that guarantees Super Bowl success.

oh wait...

feltdizz
02-15-2021, 10:49 AM
Good point; I should have said the Eagles see it as low balling because they are peddling that he’s still legit. They have another QB so I’m not sure they see him as broken. They just have a guy younger, cheaper with less injuries too.

huh? if Wentz wasn’t broken then why did they draft a QB in the second round? Why did the Eagles look better with Jaylen than with Wentz?

Wentz as awful last year.. down right comical at times.

hawaiiansteel
02-15-2021, 02:01 PM
huh? if Wentz wasn’t broken then why did they draft a QB in the second round? Why did the Eagles look better with Jaylen than with Wentz?

Wentz as awful last year.. down right comical at times.

yup, this is the guy he wants the Steelers to sign which he started this thread for :roll:

hawaiiansteel
02-18-2021, 12:53 PM
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Philadelphia has agreed to trade Carson Wentz to the Indianapolis Colts in exchange for a 2021 third-round pick and a conditional 2022 second-round pick that could turn into a first, league sources tell @mortreport and me.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweete mbed%7Ctwterm%5E1362442800344752141%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctw con%5Es1_&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.steelersunivers e.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%2F32464-Veteran-QB-Roulette

SteelBucks
02-18-2021, 12:57 PM
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Philadelphia has agreed to trade Carson Wentz to the Indianapolis Colts in exchange for a 2021 third-round pick and a conditional 2022 second-round pick that could turn into a first, league sources tell @mortreport and me.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweete mbed%7Ctwterm%5E1362442800344752141%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctw con%5Es1_&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.steelersunivers e.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%2F32464-Veteran-QB-Roulette

I’m glad this saga is over with. Philly got the best deal that they could get and moved on.

Northern_Blitz
02-18-2021, 01:22 PM
I’m glad this saga is over with. Philly got the best deal that they could get and moved on.

It will be interesting to learn what the conditions are.

steeler_george
02-18-2021, 01:30 PM

Intresting, does that mean one less team looking for a QB?

NorthCoast
02-18-2021, 02:03 PM
It will be interesting to learn what the conditions are.Wentz prolly has to win a SB for Philly to get a 2022 1st rd pick. Kinda sad. I was a Wentz fan when he came out but my oh my how things have changed for the guy after his injury. Reminds me of Carson Palmer, but Wentz definitely hit a much lower low.

Steel Maniac
02-18-2021, 05:25 PM
Frank Reich is a teacher kind of coach; I think he'll help Wentz out a lot. Going to have a good team around Wentz to help make the transition smooth.

Northern_Blitz
02-18-2021, 06:25 PM
Wentz prolly has to win a SB for Philly to get a 2022 1st rd pick. Kinda sad. I was a Wentz fan when he came out but my oh my how things have changed for the guy after his injury. Reminds me of Carson Palmer, but Wentz definitely hit a much lower low.

Per McAfee it's either:

Plays 75% of snaps next year if they miss the playoffs OR

Plays 70% of snaps next year if they make the playoffs.

At least I think that's what he said in the video I saw.

Seems like a good chance for Philly to get the 1st in that case.

Although it certainly provides a disincentive for them to play him. Not sure I'd want that if I was the player.

passhappy
02-18-2021, 07:01 PM
pretty sure thats what I saw too