PDA

View Full Version : NFL Executive thinks the Steelers will trade for Sam Darnold in 2021

fordfixer
12-30-2020, 06:44 PM
NFL Executive thinks the Steelers will trade for Sam Darnold in 2021

https://www.renegadeblitz.com/post/nfl-executive-thinks-the-steelers-will-trade-for-sam-darnold-in-2021?fbclid=IwAR11cIrgK4r5Z7gzFgqnBSnMDHxpdqNcCAeb XGMESO1jVmDWa_v5xa2BIbs

The Pittsburgh Steelers are looking forward to a busy offseason in regards to free agency. JuJu Smith-Schuster is set to be a free agent and TJ Watt is looking to get paid. Thank God the Steelers still have some years left with Minkah Fitzpatrick because that could become a Cap Casualty if they had to look at resigning him all in the same year. It has yet to be seen if the Steelers will keep JuJu-Smith Schuster, but they should definitely keep TJ Watt. No questions about it.

Ben Roethlisberger has had a struggling offense most of the 2020 season, but it doesn't look like it is all on him. Randy Fichtner has not been a good offensive coordinator all season and it looks like Fichtner will be riding off into the sunset once his contract expires this offseason. The Steelers have some tough decisions to make in the offseason, but it will keep us all busy during the dreadful offseason of the NFL.

Recently Jeremy Fowler had a story on an NFL Executive's take on Sam Darnold. The article suggests the Steelers will keep Ben Roethlisberger for one more year, but trade for Sam Darnold in 2021. This will put a much-needed focus on the quarterback for the future of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Fowler suggests the Steelers don't feel like Ben Roethlisberger is done, but they feel like something is off. The Steelers will have a decision to make if they want to extend Ben Roethlisberger to spread out his cap hit of $41.25 million next season.

The Anonymous Executive said: “Darnold needs to be repaired and that would help a team buy low,” the exec said. “It probably wouldn’t cost a team much draft capital, and he could use a year behind the scenes with an established organization, but there’s still talent there. A lot of people are high on his skill set. That’s a setup that would keep Roethlisberger and the Steelers together without the long-term commitment.”

Fowler goes onto say many NFL executives feel the Jets will get their quarterback of the future in the 2021 NFL Draft. Although they have fallen out of the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes. Another NFL executive feels Sam Darnold would fit better with the 49ers in a play-action-heavy offense. Whatever the case may be with Sam Darnold many NFL executives feel Darnold will be on the move in the offseason in 2021.

The Pittsburgh Steelers would fit Sam Darnold more than any other free agent in the 2021 free-agent market and would be a great addition to the team. This would allow Darnold to develop even more behind Ben Roethlisberger and once Ben retires he can go ahead and hand the keys off to the quarterback of the future. The Steelers could also decide to move up in the 2021 draft and draft their own quarterback of the future as well. Only time will tell what the Steelers decide, but they better do it soon because time is ticking.

Eich
12-30-2020, 07:07 PM
I guess we're the team that every available QB is going to be rumored about! Steelers are going to repair Haskins. Steelers are going to repair Darnold.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-30-2020, 07:09 PM
I'll bet you this conversation with the anonymous GM took place a few weeks ago when the Jets were still winless. At this point the Jets have no shot at Lawrence, and suddenly the idea of building around Darnold is much more appealing to them. I would think that Jets strategy has recently changed.

Northern_Blitz
12-30-2020, 07:42 PM
I think cap hit would be between 1m and 5m depending on when the deal takes place relative to his roster bonus.

Don't know when the 5th year option gets decided and if we'd have the option to exercise it after a trade (based on timing of the trade).

Looks like it wouldn't be impossible.

And might be better than he looks if he's away from the Jets.

I'd bet against it though just because trades are pretty rare.

But if they did do it, I think they definitely release Ben. The article implies that Ben would play out his contract and we make the trade. I don't think that's possible with the cap.

If Darnold came here, I think it's more likely as a UFA after next season (if the Jets don't take his 5th year option)

Iron City Inc.
12-30-2020, 07:50 PM
Darnold I'm thinking likely to stick now in NY with the drop of the jets in the draft. For us what may be interesting is the showcase that MR will be doing Sunday against the Browns. Somehow I just don't see him as our future and frankly I'm not sure many others would see him that way as well but he may be a veteran bridge for someone drafting a early qb and there are a bunch of qb's that will go early in 21.

feltdizz
12-30-2020, 08:32 PM
I don’t see this happening. We would have to give up too much and Darnold is still a head scratcher

hawaiiansteel
12-30-2020, 08:59 PM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/CLGQ698LlQE/maxresdefault.jpg

Starlifter
12-30-2020, 10:34 PM
it's not that far-fetched. if you figure the steelers won't tank in a season to get a top 10 pick and put them in the realm of a rookie QB, the only other avenue is to trade for one or hope you get lucky in round 6 like the Pats. Darnold has the pedigree of a high draft QB and if he can be had for a reasonable price - it's a low-risk investment that could pay off huge.

Eich
12-30-2020, 11:10 PM
it's not that far-fetched. if you figure the steelers won't tank in a season to get a top 10 pick

Not on purpose. But without Ben, we could easily go 6-10 like we did in 2003, after which we got Ben.

But it would be great to get our next franchise QB without having to go that route.

NorthCoast
12-30-2020, 11:25 PM
Not on purpose. But without Ben, we could easily go 6-10 like we did in 2003, after which we got Ben.

But it would be great to get our next franchise QB without having to go that route.was thinking the same thing, especially if the defense loses a few key players in the next few years.

Steel Maniac
12-30-2020, 11:49 PM
it's not that far-fetched. if you figure the steelers won't tank in a season to get a top 10 pick and put them in the realm of a rookie QB, the only other avenue is to trade for one or hope you get lucky in round 6 like the Pats. Darnold has the pedigree of a high draft QB and if he can be had for a reasonable price - it's a low-risk investment that could pay off huge.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sly
12-31-2020, 12:27 AM

But it would be great to get our next franchise QB without having to go that route.

If my team isn't in contention for a playoff slot, I'd much rather they finish with a 2-3 wins than 6-7. Better chance to get a franchise QB with a couple of wins.

Northern_Blitz
12-31-2020, 05:30 AM

I get not wanting to have a few bad years.

But I hope we don't pass on the chance of having a good QB on a rookie deal. Seems like that's the best way to win SBs.

Oviedo
12-31-2020, 09:16 AM
I guess this weekend we will find out whether Darnold is markedly better than Mason Rudolph...I think not despite the hype coming out of college

Captain Lemming
12-31-2020, 09:38 AM
If my team isn't in contention for a playoff slot, I'd much rather they finish with a 2-3 wins than 6-7. Better chance to get a franchise QB with a couple of wins.

Finally! A legit reason to fire Tomlin because we all know that ain't happening as long as he is coach. :)

Sly
12-31-2020, 09:50 AM
Finally! A legit reason to fire Tomlin because we all know that ain't happening as long as he is coach. :)

I gave you a fan's perspective. A team would never voluntarily do it. Jobs are on the line, coaches as well as players.

feltdizz
12-31-2020, 09:52 AM

I don’t see any scenario besides tanking where we only win 2-3 games. That’s not how this franchise operates.

People said without Ben we would be a 2 or 3 win team and last year we showed that even without Ben we are still capable of pushing for a playoff spot.

Darnold isn’t that either. He’s terrible under pressure.

The “kid see’s ghost sometimes”

Eich
12-31-2020, 10:35 AM
I don't know how NFL quarterbacks get used to dealing with pressure. The pass rush in the NFL can be ferocious. My daughter often says that TJ Watt is terrifying, the way he goes after the QB! LOL. It's hard enough to make an accurate pass in the NFL with tight coverages. I can't imagine doing it with Watt out to get you!

Sly
12-31-2020, 11:42 AM
I don’t see any scenario besides tanking where we only win 2-3 games. That’s not how this franchise operates.

People said without Ben we would be a 2 or 3 win team and last year we showed that even without Ben we are still capable of pushing for a playoff spot.

Darnold isn’t that either. He’s terrible under pressure.

The “kid see’s ghost sometimes”

LOL I bet he wish he could take those remarks back. Reclamation projects rarely work. I'd much rather the Steelrs do their home work and draft their own QB. The Ravens got LJ at the end of the first round, so it's not essential to have a top 5 pick to get a franchise QB.

Northern_Blitz
12-31-2020, 12:32 PM
I gave you a fan's perspective. A team would never voluntarily do it. Jobs are on the line, coaches as well as players.

I think players will always play to win because they are playing for jobs all the time.

Coaches and GMs sometimes have the luxury to tank if they get the blessing from ownership. Need to get the quick turnaround they'd promise to keep their jobs I'd imagine.

Iron City Inc.
12-31-2020, 04:05 PM

An interesting poll would be what would we be willing to give up for a Sam Darnold?????. I'm not sure what's reasonable at this point.

Starlifter
12-31-2020, 10:20 PM
An interesting poll would be what would we be willing to give up for a Sam Darnold?????. I'm not sure what's reasonable at this point.

I'm not either, but I have a lot of faith in Colbert and his ability to manage the cap while still fielding a competitive team.

Steel Maniac
12-31-2020, 10:58 PM
I'm not either, but I have a lot of faith in Colbert and his ability to manage the cap while still fielding a competitive team.

Me too. If Colbert thinks Darnold is worth it, he’ll come up with compensation that won’t break us.