PDA

View Full Version : Who to watch in tonight's Cotton Bowl Oklahoma vs Florida

steelerkeylargo
12-30-2020, 01:13 PM
Some great prospects to keep an eye on in tonight's Cotton Bowl. A few guys are opting out. They are

Kyle Pitts-TE-UF (top 15 pick, future all-pro)
Kadarius Toney-WR-UF (top 60 draft pick, electric open field runner)
Trevon Grimes-WR-UF (big physical receiver, early day 2pick)
Tre Brown-CB-OU- (the best CB Oklahoma has had in a decade)

Now on to the guys playing

Rhamondre Stevenson-RB-OU (Marshawn Lynch clone who should be firmly on the radar with the Steelers 3rd round pick)
Creed Humphrey-C-OU (15 year plug and play starter top 50 selection)
Ronnie Perkins-Edge-OU (has not yet declared but is a Bud Dupree clone, better ceiling in my opinion)
Adrian Ealy-OT-OU- (needs to be better conditioned but has an NFL skill set, day 3 pick)
Nik Bonito-ILB-OU (has not declared but has the athleticism to be a high ceiling player late day 2 pick)
Dashaun White-LB-OU (versatile and tough kid, day 3 guy)

Kyle Trask-QB-UF- probable late first round pick. Big physical and a strong arm. Winner. Will be mentioned as a Steeler target all offseason
Ventrell Miller-ILB-UF (sideline to sideline player, nice speed and motor day 2 selection)
Stone Forsythe-OT-UF (massive human 6'9 310, fantastic senior season protecting Trasks blindside, day 2 pick)
Brenton Cox-Edge-UF (ideal size and speed for an OLB, raw, late day 2 pick)

feltdizz
12-30-2020, 01:34 PM
probably take a peak but OU usually craps the bed in these types of games.

hawaiiansteel
12-30-2020, 02:38 PM
probably take a peak but OU usually craps the bed in these types of games.

OU is favored.

I'm curious to watch Trask play.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-30-2020, 02:46 PM
Thanks SKL. I'm not a big college guy so when I do have a chance I don't necessarily know who to look out for.

Question about Humphrey. Isn't he something like 6'6"? Has anyone ever played C at such a height? I'm wondering with all the bending, hunching over that goes with the position if he will be able to physically handle it over the long term. Any chance he can move to guard or tackle?

steelerkeylargo
12-30-2020, 03:03 PM
Thanks SKL. I'm not a big college guy so when I do have a chance I don't necessarily know who to look out for.

Question about Humphrey. Isn't he something like 6'6"? Has anyone ever played C at such a height? I'm wondering with all the bending, hunching over that goes with the position if he will be able to physically handle it over the long term. Any chance he can move to guard or tackle?

6"5" 320. Maurkice Pouncey is 6'4" . Humphrey has played C his entire career and in my opinion was born to play Center. He is a natural. Tough as nails. I'd have no problem drafting him with our 1st round pick.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-30-2020, 03:27 PM
6"5" 320. Maurkice Pouncey is 6'4" . Humphrey has played C his entire career and in my opinion was born to play Center. He is a natural. Tough as nails. I'd have no problem drafting him with our 1st round pick.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I've read somewhere that this kid is just a big, strong, nasty dude. I think that they finally have to make a move at C. I actually thought that they would have moved on Cushenberry last draft. Maybe not as high as second, but trade and move back or trade to move up in the third. Ironically he went to Denver using the Steelers' third rounder received in the Bush trade. Hmmm....drafted with a Pittsburgh pick and coached up by Munchak.

feltdizz
12-30-2020, 03:43 PM
OU is favored.

I'm curious to watch Trask play.

Trask is legit. It may be a good game because Florida’s D is suspect this year but OU usually struggles when dealing with physical SEC opponents.

Iron City Inc.
12-30-2020, 08:42 PM
As far as center goes tall centers are where it's trending. Reason being more teams are in the gun these days then ever before.

feltdizz
12-30-2020, 09:41 PM
Well damn, not watching yet but I heard the score on sports radio. 17 - 0 Oklahoma early?

Trask with 2 INT’s and a pick 6.

I did not expect this.

steelerkeylargo
12-30-2020, 10:49 PM
Trask has not looked good. Rhamondre Stevenson is a beast at RB. Creed Humphrey is manhandling his opponents. Ronnie Perkins is a star in the making. Forsythe is holding his own at RT for the Gators. Spencer Rattler is the next Pat Mahommes. I have no idea how we would be able to draft him. He will be in play for the 2022 #1 overall pick.

hawaiiansteel
12-30-2020, 11:07 PM
Well damn, not watching yet but I heard the score on sports radio. 17 - 0 Oklahoma early?

I did not expect this.

9 starters for the Gators are not playing in this game.

Steel Maniac
12-30-2020, 11:56 PM

Plug and play guy.

SteelBucks
12-31-2020, 12:23 AM
Trask, and Florida in general, looked awful. They got rolled by starters and backups for 60 minutes. That was a total beat down.

S-E-C!!!!

hawaiiansteel
12-31-2020, 12:36 AM
Rhamondre Stevenson is a beast at RB.

18 carries for 186 yds (10.3 yds/avg) with 1 TD.

he definitely would look really good in the Black & Gold.

steelerkeylargo
12-31-2020, 12:58 AM
18 carries for 186 yds (10.3 yds/avg) with 1 TD.

he definitely would look really good in the Black & Gold.

I am pounding the table for this pick!!!!

steelerkeylargo
12-31-2020, 01:00 AM
9 starters for the Gators are not playing in this game.

And 6 missing for OU. Most of the UF starters were on offense. OU hung half a hundred. Irrelevant

SteelBucks
12-31-2020, 01:16 AM
And 6 missing for OU. Most of the UF starters were on offense. OU hung half a hundred. Irrelevant

I enjoyed it considering how much smack Florida was talking days leading up to the game.

feltdizz
12-31-2020, 02:49 AM

UF’s defense was awful this year.

feltdizz
12-31-2020, 02:51 AM
Trask has not looked good. Rhamondre Stevenson is a beast at RB. Creed Humphrey is manhandling his opponents. Ronnie Perkins is a star in the making. Forsythe is holding his own at RT for the Gators. Spencer Rattler is the next Pat Mahommes. I have no idea how we would be able to draft him. He will be in play for the 2022 #1 overall pick.

Rattler was benched earlier this year. I would slow down on the Mahomes comparison. He just looks like Mahomes, he doesn’t play like him just yet. He was pretty bad vs KState, Iowa State and Texas. Definitely bounced back from some rough play early in the year.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-31-2020, 02:58 AM
As far as center goes tall centers are where it's trending. Reason being more teams are in the gun these days then ever before.

I looked at a couple of sites this afternoon for top ranked centers in this year's draft. Most of the top guys are at least 6' 3" and 310.Guess it makes sense. Teams wanted short fireplug type guys because the QB had to look over them and they also needed to get low in the run game. These days pass protection trumps run blocking and tall QBs are already able to see over the hunched over big guys when they get the ball and can survey the field.

Oviedo
12-31-2020, 09:19 AM

I did not expect this.

Like I said, Trask could be the classic one year wonder. I see lots of Florida games and a see a middle of the pack NFL QB

steelerkeylargo
12-31-2020, 09:27 AM
Rattler was benched earlier this year. I would slow down on the Mahomes comparison. He just looks like Mahomes, he doesn’t play like him just yet. He was pretty bad vs KState, Iowa State and Texas. Definitely bounced back from some rough play early in the year.

Benched? LOL. He sat out 1 series. 387 yards and 4 TD's vs. KSt, QBR-170, 300 yards 2 TD's vs Iowa St. QBR-150. Dude is a FRESHMAN. I think I know a little about Pat Mahommes. I was the one telling this board we needed to trade up for him 4 years ago. :cool:

feltdizz
12-31-2020, 09:58 AM
Benched? LOL. He sat out 1 series. 387 yards and 4 TD's vs. KSt, QBR-170, 300 yards 2 TD's vs Iowa St. QBR-150. Dude is a FRESHMAN. I think I know a little about Pat Mahommes. I was the one telling this board we needed to trade up for him 4 years ago. :cool:

no, he was benched for 3 series vs Texas.

vs KState. 4TD’s.. and 3INT’s. I watched that game.

Just because you were right about Mahomes doesn’t give you a lifetime pass on QB evaluations. He’s not the next Mahomes.. he just looks like he’s from the same family.
Florida’s D is trash. That’s why its so hard to evaluate QB’s.. especially in the Big 12 where D isn’t all that important.

feltdizz
12-31-2020, 10:03 AM
Like I said, Trask could be the classic one year wonder. I see lots of Florida games and a see a middle of the pack NFL QB

Yeah, not sure about him. He had some strong games but he also had some head scratchers.

One has to wonder if he is trying too hard because he knows the D is awful. 2 INT’s in 2 straight passes vs OU is alarming.

steelerkeylargo
12-31-2020, 01:59 PM
no, he was benched for 3 series vs Texas.

vs KState. 4TD’s.. and 3INT’s. I watched that game.

Just because you were right about Mahomes doesn’t give you a lifetime pass on QB evaluations. He’s not the next Mahomes.. he just looks like he’s from the same family.
Florida’s D is trash. That’s why its so hard to evaluate QB’s.. especially in the Big 12 where D isn’t all that important.

And what happened vs. Texas. He brought them back and won. He more than looks like Mahommes! Watch his game. His throwing motion, arm angles, accuracy and arm strength looks exactly like Mahommes. He patterns his game after him. Again the kid is a freshman. 28 TD's to 7 INT's. Mahoomes was 36/15 in his first full year as a starter. Rattler is a special talent. You don't need to be Lincoln Reilly to see it. Barring injury or something unforeseen he is on track to be #1 overall pick in 2022 NFL draft.

steelerkeylargo
01-04-2021, 06:12 PM
And what happened vs. Texas. He brought them back and won. He more than looks like Mahommes! Watch his game. His throwing motion, arm angles, accuracy and arm strength looks exactly like Mahommes. He patterns his game after him. Again the kid is a freshman. 28 TD's to 7 INT's. Mahoomes was 36/15 in his first full year as a starter. Rattler is a special talent. You don't need to be Lincoln Reilly to see it. Barring injury or something unforeseen he is on track to be #1 overall pick in 2022 NFL draft.

And Vegas just made him the favorite for the 2021 Heisman.

hawaiiansteel
01-04-2021, 06:22 PM
And Vegas just made him the favorite for the 2021 Heisman.

Here’s a look at who CBS SportsLine is including early on its Heisman odds list:

Spencer Rattler, QB, Oklahoma: +300
D.J. Uiagalelei, QB, Clemson: +400
Sam Howell, QB, North Carolina: +600
D’Eriq King, QB, Miami (FL): +750
Bryce Young, QB, Alabama: +1000
Kedon Slovis, QB, USC: +1200

https://saturdaytradition.com/big-ten-football/cbs-sportsline-releases-early-odds-on-2021-heisman-trophy-winner/

SteelerMaine83
01-04-2021, 08:11 PM
Yeah, not sure about him. He had some strong games but he also had some head scratchers.

One has to wonder if he is trying too hard because he knows the D is awful. 2 INT’s in 2 straight passes vs OU is alarming.

Trask is a Florida QB. While that school produces a lot of NFL talent, they don’t at QB. Think Ohio State South.

Without big improvements to our OL (and therefore our running game), Trask would be battling Rudolph to be a career backup.

flippy
01-05-2021, 12:38 AM
Some great prospects to keep an eye on in tonight's Cotton Bowl. A few guys are opting out. They are

Kyle Pitts-TE-UF (top 10 pick, future all-pro)
Kadarius Toney-WR-UF (top 60 draft pick, electric open field runner)
Trevon Grimes-WR-UF (big physical receiver, day 2 pick)
Tre Brown-CB-OU- (the best CB Oklahoma has had in a decade)

Now on to the guys playing

Rhamondre Stevenson-RB-OU (Marshawn Lynch clone who should be firmly on the radar with the Steelers 2nd round pick)
Creed Humphrey-C-OU (15 year plug and play starter top 50 selection)
Ronnie Perkins-Edge-OU (has not yet declared but is a Bud Dupree clone, better ceiling in my opinion)
Adrian Ealy-OT-OU- (needs to be better conditioned but has an NFL skill set, day 3 pick)
Nik Bonito-ILB-OU (has not declared but has the athleticism to be a high ceiling player late day 2 pick)
Dashaun White-LB-OU (versatile and tough kid, day 3 guy)

Kyle Trask-QB-UF- probable late first round pick. Big physical and a strong arm. Winner. Will be mentioned as a Steeler target all offseason
Ventrell Miller-ILB-UF (sideline to sideline player, nice speed and motor day 2 selection)
Stone Forsythe-OT-UF (massive human 6'9 310, fantastic senior season protecting Trasks blindside, day 2 pick)
Brenton Cox-Edge-UF (ideal size and speed for an OLB, raw, day 2 pick)

Thanks for the breakdown on who to watch. I'm intrigued by most of these guys except Trask.

Trask's stats are good, but I think he looks like another Mason Rudolf in a Big Ben body. I can see why the Steelers and our fans would talk about him, but I don't see taking him over other guys likely on the board when we pick.

I might be more inclined to take a chance on Mac Jones who I'm also not huge on, but he's a guy I could see being successful with our WRs assuming we can give him a few minutes in the pocket. He's not a great athlete, but I think he can be a really effective rhythm passer and Claypool and Johnson are 2 guys that are going to always be open for a guy like Mac.

The problem with both of these guys is I don't see either being comfortable moving in the pocket at the NFL level and neither has a great arm if they're moving.

feltdizz
10-09-2021, 02:18 PM

Spencer Rattler may look like Mahommes but be isn’t playing like him this year.

He may be available in the 3rd round the way 2021 is going.

SteelBucks
10-09-2021, 02:34 PM
Spencer Rattler may look like Mahommes but be isn’t playing like him this year.

He may be available in the 3rd round the way 2021 is going.

Rattler benched for the second year in a row versus Texas.

hawaiiansteel
10-09-2021, 02:50 PM

I'm flipping back and forth between the Okla-Texas and Ole Miss-Ark games.

Rattler gets rattled easily by a pass rush, he does not look like a future NFL franchise QB.

Matt Corral from Ole Miss otoh looks really good and is very mobile. (1 passing TD, 2 rushing TDs so far)

feltdizz
10-09-2021, 04:43 PM

Everyone said he was the next Patrick Mahommes just because he looks like him.

OU couldn’t score more than 20 points this year until they benched Rattler.

He isn’t getting his job back this year unless the other QB gets injured.

and OU is the most QB friendly offense in college football. How did he go from Heisman hype to this?

hawaiiansteel
10-09-2021, 05:38 PM
Everyone said he was the next Patrick Mahommes just because he looks like him.

OU couldn’t score more than 20 points this year until they benched Rattler.

He isn’t getting his job back this year unless the other QB gets injured.

and OU is the most QB friendly offense in college football. How did he go from Heisman hype to this?

same with UNC QB Sam Howell.

I'm watching him against Fla St and he doesn't look good at all. he's currently 6-16 for only 73 yds and an interception in the 3rd qtr.

Joel Buchsbaum
10-09-2021, 06:13 PM
I'm flipping back and forth between the Okla-Texas and Ole Miss-Ark games.

Rattler gets rattled easily by a pass rush, he does not look like a future NFL franchise QB.

Matt Corral from Ole Miss otoh looks really good and is very mobile. (1 passing TD, 2 rushing TDs so far)

Which means the Corral will be top 6 pick. His stock is going up. Rattler like said is easily rattled. His stock is down.

hawaiiansteel
10-09-2021, 06:34 PM
Which means the Corral will be top 6 pick. His stock is going up. Rattler like said is easily rattled. His stock is down.

Corral is listed at 6'2" 205 lbs but he looks smaller than that.

I haven't seen Malik Willis from Liberty play yet, but a lot of mocks have him, Sam Howell and Corral as the first 3 QBs off the board with Rattler falling completely out of the 1st round.

Ghost
10-10-2021, 01:00 PM
There was a QB thread and Rattler came up and I said - hard NO. And he’s only gotten worse since then. Easily rattled and makes bad decisions.

Oviedo
10-11-2021, 04:56 AM
Watching college football educates you to not hope for a poor record to draft a QB. Many of the most hyped are looking bad

NJ-STEELER
10-16-2021, 04:20 PM
reports had steeler scouts at the nevada game checking out carson strong

The Man of Steel
10-16-2021, 05:27 PM
I just saw a mock draft where they have the Steelers drafting Pitt’s Kenny Pickett in the first round. As a Pitt homer this is something I would fully approve of.

hawaiiansteel
10-16-2021, 06:06 PM

cool, I'll check him out.

Nevada plays Hawaii tonight on tv.

NJ-STEELER
10-16-2021, 09:20 PM
I just saw a mock draft where they have the Steelers drafting Pitt’s Kenny Pickett in the first round. As a Pitt homer this is something I would fully approve of.
i watched some of today's game. He's been looking good. I'm not sure he grades out that high though

feltdizz
10-17-2021, 10:51 AM

Not sure Picket is a first round talent but he is balling out.

Its hard for me to evaluate Pitt talent because I’m a homer but I also thought Peterman was going to be legit and he struggled in the pro’s.

Pickett is definitely having a great season.

hawaiiansteel
11-05-2021, 03:28 PM
Matt Corral and Malik Willis play against each other this Saturday morning, good opportunity to check out two of the top-rated QBs.

hawaiiansteel
11-06-2021, 04:01 PM
you can cross Malik Willis off the Steelers' wish list.

vs Ole Miss today: 16-25, 173 yds 0 TDs and 3 ints

I'm gonna watch Maryland play Penn St now to see all the Maryland players we're going to be drafting. :D

NJ-STEELER
11-07-2021, 03:54 AM
you can cross Malik Willis off the Steelers' wish list.

vs Ole Miss today: 16-25, 173 yds 0 TDs and 3 ints

I'm gonna watch Maryland play Penn St now to see all the Maryland players we're going to be drafting. :D

he was already off my list after watching some highlight packages of games he played this year.

lets actually shoot for a guy that can throw the ball well

hawaiiansteel
11-13-2021, 03:24 AM
Not sure Picket is a first round talent but he is balling out.

Its hard for me to evaluate Pitt talent because I’m a homer but I also thought Peterman was going to be legit and he struggled in the pro’s.

Pickett is definitely having a great season.

just read that Kenny Pickett's hand size is only 8 1/4".

that's going to be an issue for a lot of teams.

NJ-STEELER
11-13-2021, 04:20 PM
just read that Kenny Pickett's hand size is only 8 1/4".

that's going to be an issue for a lot of teams.

i read that was debunked by someone. its in the 9 inch range. may have been a pitt fan/alum

but I have no idea how that ranks with 'big enough hands' / 'NFL level hands'

where's Joel when you need him :eek:

NJ-STEELER
11-13-2021, 11:02 PM
reading BCs Jurkovic came back today after missing 4 games and played well.

he's from the area so that's always a plus with this organization. although he stiffed PITT after committing to them iirc.
maybe that pissed off yinzer rooney

hawaiiansteel
11-15-2021, 03:09 PM
only 2 QBs in Mel Kiper's top-25: Kenny Pickett at #20 and Malik Willis at #25.

so we would have our pick of the litter if we want to draft our future QB this upcoming draft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1lfIs5cQlk

SteelBucks
11-15-2021, 04:00 PM

so we would have our pick of the litter if we want to draft our future QB this upcoming draft.

Its a small litter.

Northern_Blitz
11-15-2021, 04:04 PM
Its a small litter.

And I doubt the top QBs make it into the 20s no matter what the rankings say.

QBs get overdrafted.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-16-2021, 11:15 AM

Sounds like the litter belongs in a litter box.

papillon
11-16-2021, 02:26 PM
Linderbaum will drop, no one drafts a center at #13, if he's as good as Kiper has him rated I'd love for the Steelers to draft him (I know that isn't on their list of things to do though) and I'd stay away Pickett in the 1st round should he be available when the Steelers draft in the 1st round.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
11-16-2021, 05:44 PM

QBs get overdrafted.

McShay has Pickett at #14, Willis at #18 and Matt Corral at #26.

he also reveals his complete list of QB rankings:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/32630150/nfl-draft-2022-rankings-todd-mcshay-top-32-prospects-class-plus-top-10-every-position

NJ-STEELER
11-20-2021, 05:56 PM
pickett's first 2 TDs look pro quality to me. 1st TD the DB took away the inside throw and KP put the ball on the outside shoulder

2nd TD avoided a free blitzer on 4th and 4 and found Addison in the back of the end zone. very ben like early in his career.

hawaiiansteel
11-24-2021, 05:33 PM
Current CBS Sports rankings for 2022 QB class:

RK PLAYER SCHOOL YEAR POS POS RK HT WT

10 Matt Corral Ole Miss Jr QB 1 6-2 205
15 Kenny Pickett Pittsburgh Sr QB 2 6-3 220
30 Malik Willis Liberty Jr QB 3 6-1 215
36 Carson Strong Nevada Jr QB 4 6-4 215
55 Sam Howell N.Carolina Jr QB 5 6-1 225
94 Kedon Slovis USC Jr QB 6 6-3 205

NorthCoast
11-27-2021, 05:00 PM
Adding that Hutchinson kid from Michigan to the defense would make them scary good. Dude oozes football from his pores.

NorthCoast
11-28-2021, 09:07 AM

QBs get overdrafted.Especially after your name gets splashed around with a legend;

https://fansided.com/2021/11/27/kenny-pickett-breaks-dan-marino-pitt-record/?a_aid=36534&fbclid=IwAR1po7I0abI4WAQtAr4fnTktUf1D FgAqWyLyiW2M3M7lF5yYV46gHO2g7vQ

Kenny Pickett just broke a 40-year-old Dan Marino record at Pitt
by John Buhler1 hour ago Follow @buhler118

Kenny Pickett broke a 40-year-old single-season passing record set by none other than Pitt football legend Dan Marino.

It was a record 40 years in the breaking, as Pitt football star quarterback Kenny Pickett has thrown for more touchdown passes in a season than Dan Marino.

Though this may be a different era of college football, Pickett has drawn a lot of comparisons to Marino this season, and for good reason. In a relatively weak quarterback draft class, Pickett has more often than not asserted his dominance over the competition. He can run it and he can spin it with the best of them. Check out Pickett’s record-setting 38th touchdown on the season for Pitt.

After the Syracuse game, Pitt will face Wake Forest in the 2021 ACC Championship in Charlotte.

Pitt football star QB Kenny Pickett breaks a Dan Marino passing record
While it remains to be seen if Pickett will get an invitation to the Heisman Trophy ceremony or be the first quarterback taken in the 2022 NFL Draft, he has cemented himself as a Pitt football legend. With presumably a win over Wake Forest in Charlotte, the Panthers will find themselves playing in almost certainly the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl as part of this year’s New Year’s Six games.

Had Pitt not lost a dumb one very early in the year in the non-conference to Western Michigan, this team would be in contention for a College Football Playoff berth. However, the ACC has been down the entire year. Clemson has struggled and no team will come out of the regular season with more than two losses. Still, this has been a phenomenal year for Pickett and the Pitt football team.

If Pickett is half the player Marino was in the NFL, then he will be a total franchise game-changer.

NJ-STEELER
11-28-2021, 10:04 PM
one of the guys in the booth said pickett is the "most ready" qb to go in the draft after the year.
and that its great timing for him because mac jones was the most ready guy last year and is doing well this year.

let's say we pick #14 in the 1st round

do you take pickett there?

NorthCoast
11-28-2021, 10:15 PM
one of the guys in the booth said pickett is the "most ready" qb to go in the draft after the year.
and that its great timing for him because mac jones was the most ready guy last year and is doing well this year.

Franchise QBs don't make it out of the top 10.
HOU, NOR, WAS, CAR, all need a QB. Unless the Steelers don't win another game I don't think they have a chance at him.

Northern_Blitz
11-28-2021, 10:42 PM
HOU, NOR, WAS, CAR, all need a QB. Unless the Steelers don't win another game I don't think they have a chance at him.

And its a weak class by most / all accounts.

Not sure we want the 3rd or 4th QB in a what people say is a below average class.

Better to deal with sucking for a year than reach for a QB and suck for 4 years IMO.

NJ-STEELER
11-28-2021, 11:16 PM

mac jones, the most ready qb in the draft went 15 th overall

around the ara some are predicting pickett goes.

if you have a second, answer the question posed

NJ-STEELER
11-28-2021, 11:18 PM
And its a weak class by most / all accounts.

Not sure we want the 3rd or 4th QB in a what people say is a below average class.

Better to deal with sucking for a year than reach for a QB and suck for 4 years IMO.

drafting josh rosen high didn't stop the cards from drafting kyler murray.

in today's nfl, these rookie contract QBs are setting their teams back 5-6 years like they did in the past when they busted

NorthCoast
11-29-2021, 09:04 AM
mac jones, the most ready qb in the draft went 15 th overall

around the ara some are predicting pickett goes.

if you have a second, answer the question posedThere were 4 QBs taken before Jones. There aren't 4 QBs worth a first round pick in the next draft. Pickett will get overdrafted by a QB needy team. Jones fell because he was considered more of a pocket passer and not a scrambling QB that teams have fallen in love with these days.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-29-2021, 04:51 PM

If you go QB in the first and play him behind anything resembling this Oline, part of his signing bonus should be a burial plot.

NJ-STEELER
11-29-2021, 08:57 PM
There were 4 QBs taken before Jones. There aren't 4 QBs worth a first round pick in the next draft. Pickett will get overdrafted by a QB needy team. Jones fell because he was considered more of a pocket passer and not a scrambling QB that teams have fallen in love with these days.

there's a long way to go in the draft process plus a couple more games in the season.
maybe KP doesn't test well in a certain drill and corral and another QB are now rated higher which then puts pickett at say middle of round 1.

Question (for anyone. a simple question...don't go and say he won't be available)
if you're in charge of the steelers do you select pickett with the 15th overall pick?

i'll go first. yes i would

papillon
11-29-2021, 09:06 PM
No, lack of competition, lack of production his previous 3 years and the fact that Pitt hasn't been relevant in decades. They've produced a few very good to great players, Fitzgerald and Donald come to mind, but most that get drafted these days are middle of the pack or worse.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
11-29-2021, 09:07 PM
there's a long way to go in the draft process plus a couple more games in the season.
maybe KP doesn't test well in a certain drill and corral and another QB are now rated higher which then puts pickett at say middle of round 1.

Question (for anyone. a simple question...don't go and say he won't be available)
if you're in charge of the steelers do you select pickett with the 15th overall pick?

I still would want to confirm his hand size, it it's 8 1/4" then no thanks.

but if his hand size is closer to or above 9" then I would say yes also.

NJ-STEELER
11-29-2021, 09:10 PM
No, lack of competition, lack of production his previous 3 years and the fact that Pitt hasn't been relevant in decades. They've produced a few very good to great players, Fitzgerald and Donald come to mind, but most that get drafted these days are middle of the pack or worse.

Pappy

how's PSU doing this year? :eek:

the positives. pro style offense. 40 Tds. has mobility

aaaaannnnnnnndddd probably the most important for some on here...... He's not Ben

NJ-STEELER
11-29-2021, 09:11 PM
I still would want to confirm his hand size, it it's 8 1/4" then no thanks.

but if his hand size is closer to or above 9" then I would say yes also.

if there's a NFL team that would know the most about him. it should be us

can you imagine passing on him and he becomes a good pro? that would not be a good look for the FO

papillon
11-29-2021, 09:40 PM
how's PSU doing this year? :eek:

the positives. pro style offense. 40 Tds. has mobility

aaaaannnnnnnndddd probably the most important for some on here...... He's not Ben

I don't really care how PSU is doing this year, I'm a Pitt grad from when they were good. I was in school with Dorsett, Marino, Romano, Jackson, Grimm, the Pelusi brothers, Jury, Gordon Jones, etc. so, I've seen good Pitt football teams up close and it makes me sad to see where the program is now. Although, this year is pretty good, not sure the defense is up to snuff but the offense seems to move the ball and score points.

TDs and mobility are positives, but there's a lot more to playing QB in the NFL.

Not being Ben could actually be a positive in today's game where throwing on the run and from awkward positions seems to be the norm.

But, I still wouldn't draft him in the first round, if he happened to be there in the second, I'd be game.

I think this year's premium picks have to be OL, DL and if they don't pick up the 5th year option on Bush, then an ILB.

Pappy

feltdizz
11-29-2021, 09:55 PM
I don't really care how PSU is doing this year, I'm a Pitt grad from when they were good. I was in school with Dorsett, Marino, Romano, Jackson, Grimm, the Pelusi brothers, Jury, Gordon Jones, etc. so, I've seen good Pitt football teams up close and it makes me sad to see where the program is now. Although, this year is pretty good, not sure the defense is up to snuff but the offense seems to move the ball and score points.

TDs and mobility are positives, but there's a lot more to playing QB in the NFL.

Not being Ben could actually be a positive in today's game where throwing on the run and from awkward positions seems to be the norm.

But, I still wouldn't draft him in the first round, if he happened to be there in the second, I'd be game.

I think this year's premium picks have to be OL, DL and if they don't pick up the 5th year option on Bush, then an ILB.

Pappy

wow.. you were there for the glory years.

I remember the Pitt Georgia game in 82. That was the last great memory of Pitt football. My grandad was going for Georgia but everyone else was going for Pitt.

Also remember going to my first Pitt game at the old stadium. It was 3-3 and my uncle was one of those “lets beat the traffic” guys.. and we missed the PITT pick 6 to win the game… smh. It was so cold at that game and I missed the best play because this man wanted to beat traffic. We were in traffic when the freaking play happened.

NJ-STEELER
11-29-2021, 10:10 PM

Pappy
nice class. yeah this years team isnt that good, but at lesst there's improvement.
apologize i had you pegged as a PSU fan

NorthCoast
11-30-2021, 10:53 AM

Still a lot of ball to play yet this season so I haven't dug into next draft much.

But knowing all the other Steeler needs I wouldn't draft a QB. He would be wasted behind a sketchy OL. I'd use Rudolph as a QB dummy for next season. After all, he's already on the books.

You would probably hate the pick but a guy like Jordan Davis would instantly cure a lot of what is ailing the defense. We are talking Hampton2.0.

feltdizz
11-30-2021, 11:52 AM
If Pickett is available we better draft him.

Dude is breaking records in Heinz Field and we pass on him because we need OL?

Draft him and use the money saved on his rookie contract on the OL and DL.

and you still have 6 more rounds to draft other players.

Imagine if Cincinnati passed on Burrow for OL? Hell, how many times did the Browns draft OL and wait on a QB? How did that work out?

I know.. Baker is Baker but he still gave them hope and actually made the playoffs which is like a SB to Brown fans.

papillon
11-30-2021, 12:02 PM
wow.. you were there for the glory years.

I remember the Pitt Georgia game in 82. That was the last great memory of Pitt football. My grandad was going for Georgia but everyone else was going for Pitt.

Also remember going to my first Pitt game at the old stadium. It was 3-3 and my uncle was one of those “lets beat the traffic” guys.. and we missed the PITT pick 6 to win the game… smh. It was so cold at that game and I missed the best play because this man wanted to beat traffic. We were in traffic when the freaking play happened.

I was friends with John Brown. The guy that caught the 4th down pass from Marino to win the game. If you ever shook hands with him you would understand why he didn't drop it after getting a big blow on the catch. His hands were like vise grips. He was from Lower Burrell, great guy, unfortunately, he died 3-4 years ago.
Pitt stadium on Saturday afternoon was a good place to be when Pitt was playing, nothing like the big schools but the student section was a good time and because of the design of the stadium the seats weren't too bad even though they were on about the 10-15 yard line.

Pappy

feltdizz
11-30-2021, 12:10 PM
I was friends with John Brown. The guy that caught the 4th down pass from Marino to win the game. He was from Lower Burrell, great guy, unfortunately, he died 3-4 years ago.
Pitt stadium on Saturday afternoon was a good place to be when Pitt was playing, nothing like the big schools but the student section was a good time and because of the design of the stadium the seats weren't too bad even though they were on about the 10-15 yard line.

Pappy

I wish they kept the stadium or built a new one just for PITT so a game with 30K people wouldn’t look so pathetic.

I was able to watch my brother play against Pitt at the old stadium when he played for Navy in the early 90’s.

papillon
11-30-2021, 12:13 PM
I wish they kept the stadium or built a new one just for PITT so a game with 30K people wouldn’t look so pathetic.

I was able to watch my brother play against Pitt at the old stadium when he played for Navy in the early 90’s.

They have a group called the Panther Hollow Development Group or something like that, that wants to build a stadium in Panther Hollow with an open end to view the Cathedral of Learning. But, I don't think it ever got off the ground. The worst thing they did was take football off campus, imo.

Pappy

Northern_Blitz
11-30-2021, 12:50 PM
If Pickett is available we better draft him.

Dude is breaking records in Heinz Field and we pass on him because we need OL?

Draft him and use the money saved on his rookie contract on the OL and DL.

and you still have 6 more rounds to draft other players.

Imagine if Cincinnati passed on Burrow for OL? Hell, how many times did the Browns draft OL and wait on a QB? How did that work out?

I know.. Baker is Baker but he still gave them hope and actually made the playoffs which is like a SB to Brown fans.

If you think one of the QB's available is a franchise guy, you have to draft him.

But this doesn't seem like a good year to reach for a QB. I've heard at least a couple places say they don't think any of the QBs has a 1st round grade.

And we've also got $20M of dead money to deal with from all the dummy contract years.

I think next season should be a transition year to clean up the cap and try to improve the team. Then go for a QB.

But again, if someone you love falls to you, you have to pull the trigger.

feltdizz
11-30-2021, 12:57 PM
If you think one of the QB's available is a franchise guy, you have to draft him.

But this doesn't seem like a good year to reach for a QB. I've heard at least a couple places say they don't think any of the QBs has a 1st round grade.

And we've also got $20M of dead money to deal with from all the dummy contract years.

I think next season should be a transition year to clean up the cap and try to improve the team. Then go for a QB.

But again, if someone you love falls to you, you have to pull the trigger.

I watched almost every Pitt game this year except for those damn ACCN games.

Picket is a beast.

If Picket was at Clemson with the same schedule and the same stats he would be treated like a legend.

I’m flirting with going to the ACC championship game this saturday depending on the weather.

NJ-STEELER
11-30-2021, 06:43 PM
Still a lot of ball to play yet this season so I haven't dug into next draft much.

But knowing all the other Steeler needs I wouldn't draft a QB. He would be wasted behind a sketchy OL. I'd use Rudolph as a QB dummy for next season. After all, he's already on the books.

You would probably hate the pick but a guy like Jordan Davis would instantly cure a lot of what is ailing the defense. We are talking Hampton2.0.

no, I realize our defense needs help and if there's a game changer there, then i would be for it.

my question would be with the staff coaching this player. we were supposed to have 2 game changers acquired recently. trading up to draft someone high and a #11 overall the year prior. adding them to a defense already with TJ, heyward, tuitt etc etc etc damnnnnn etc

you shouldn't need all those high quality pieces to have a great defense. we have more then enough comparing that to other top ranked defenses.
at what point is the scheme questioned ?

Chucktownsteeler
11-30-2021, 06:51 PM
I would only caution Pickett is a 5th year senior. That fact could skew his stats.

feltdizz
11-30-2021, 10:19 PM
I would only caution Pickett is a 5th year senior. That fact could skew his stats.

Pickett didn't play much his first year. Only 1 TD on 39 completions. He never threw for more than 13 TD's in a season.

This year he has thrown 40 TD's so far.

NJ-STEELER
01-02-2022, 10:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v4VNfJrryk

spn guys have us taking pickett @ 12

papillon
01-02-2022, 11:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v4VNfJrryk

spn guys have us taking pickett @ 12

As of today the Steelers will have to move up 5 spots to draft at #12

Pappy