PDA

View Full Version : OT: Bills Thumping *s

Buzz
12-28-2020, 11:38 PM
Just saw on the NFL sports site that the Bills are now up on NE 38-9 early in the 4th Qtr.

I'm not a Bills fan, that's got to feel awfully nice for that team and their fans after years of oppression by the evil empire.

hawaiiansteel
12-28-2020, 11:43 PM
but, but, but...

I thought Belicheat was such a good coach?

Sly
12-29-2020, 09:18 AM
It looks like the AFC has 2 of the 3 best teams in the NFL. I'd rank them: 1, Chiefs, 2 Packers, and 3 Bills. It sure looks like a Packers / Chiefs Super Bowl at this time. IMO only two factors could affect my prediction - injuries and covid.

feltdizz
12-29-2020, 09:49 AM
but, but, but...

lmao.. if Tomlin lost with that score this place would burn

Sly
12-29-2020, 09:55 AM

LOL So true.

Buzz
12-29-2020, 10:42 AM

Actually, I think about half the posters here would refuse to assign any blame at all to him (even if he warranted some blame), immediately chalking up the loss entirely to poor execution on the part of the players.

Steelhere10
12-29-2020, 10:49 AM
Bills like to meet the Ravens in the first. If not the 1 seed, I rather have the 3 seed.

Buzz
12-29-2020, 11:06 AM
Bills like to meet the Ravens in the first. If not the 1 seed, I rather have the 3 seed.

Actually, if the season were over today, the Bills would be meeting the Browns and we would be playing the Ravens in the first round. The #1 seed has already been locked up by the Chiefs.

The Bills have Miami coming to Buffalo this weekend, and we go to Cleveland. The Ravens play at Cincinnati. I think that we're more likely to play the Ravens with the #3 seed, and the Browns or Colts with the #2 seed. I'd rather have the #2 seed.

Sly
12-29-2020, 11:25 AM
Actually, if the season were over today, the Bills would be meeting the Browns and we would be playing the Ravens in the first round. The #1 seed has already been locked up by the Chiefs.

The Bills have Miami coming to Buffalo this weekend, and we go to Cleveland. The Ravens play at Cincinnati. I think that we're more likely to play the Ravens with the #3 seed, and the Browns or Colts with the #2 seed. I'd rather have the #2 seed.

The most likely path for the Steelers. Game 1 - Ravens. This will be a tough game but certainly a winnable one. If the seeds hold, than Pittsburgh will have to play Buf in game 2; and the Chiefs would play the 4 seed. The only difference between being the 2nd or 3rd seed will be where the game is played.

I get a headache trying to figure out the permutations, but my preference would be for the Steelers to play Miami in game 1. I don't even know if that is possible.

Shawn
12-29-2020, 11:41 AM
Actually, I think about half the posters here would refuse to assign any blame at all to him (even if he warranted some blame), immediately chalking up the loss entirely to poor execution on the part of the players. There does seem to be two camps. Tomlin can do no wrong and Tomlin can do no right. The polarization is interesting to say the least. Tomlin is a good coach maybe even elite. But, he certainly has weaknesses and places that warrant criticism. I see very little unbiased critique of him as a coach on this site.

Captain Lemming
12-29-2020, 11:54 AM
There does seem to be two camps. Tomlin can do no wrong and Tomlin can do no right. The polarization is interesting to say the least. Tomlin is a good coach maybe even elite. But, he certainly has weaknesses and places that warrant criticism. I see very little unbiased critique of him as a coach on this site.

Actually, I disagree and would suggest your opinion is that of the majority who like Tomlin.

The issue is that reasonable people who see him as a very "good" coach are constantly defending him against those who despise the fact that he is our coach.

I have argued that he is not proven to be a "great" coach several times. But all people recall is that I defend him alot.

Why? Rarely is the debate between good and great. It is usually between good and being an idiot who should have been fired years ago.

Seriously, there are maybe 2 or 3 regulars who can hardly ever concede a flaw in Tomlin.

Most have the reasonable view you describe, just rarely a reason to debate that moderate view.

feltdizz
12-29-2020, 01:02 PM
There does seem to be two camps. Tomlin can do no wrong and Tomlin can do no right. The polarization is interesting to say the least. Tomlin is a good coach maybe even elite. But, he certainly has weaknesses and places that warrant criticism. I see very little unbiased critique of him as a coach on this site.

This place.. and probably some of it
is due to media, but this place always seems to need a huckleberry.

I’m probably using it wrong but this place always needs to blame someone after a win or loss.

Its never “hooray, we won” its always.. we won.. so now lets see who to blame
for almost losing.

Its always a win “in spite of coaching”

and a loss BECAUSE of coaching with some people.

Jigawatts
12-29-2020, 01:50 PM
Brady, Belichick and the Pats ruled that garbage division for almost 20 years and now all of the sudden the Bills and Dolphins look like NFL teams. Funny how things work out.

BURGH86STEEL
12-29-2020, 02:02 PM
Tomlin is a good coach. He made his share of mistakes. For example, I thought he should had called a TO near the end of the half and took 3 points instead of going for the TD on 4th down.

Just because coaches make mistakes doesn't mean they are dumb or should be fired. Especially when considering all this team does is win consistently with him as HC. After weighing all the factors I don't believe the Steelers have an issue at the HC position.

Disco1981
12-29-2020, 02:23 PM
but, but, but...

Hess great Coach.. Remember, The Cheats had EIGHT guys opt out for Covid, And FOUR starters! We had 0! That would have made a huge difference on our team...I would think

feltdizz
12-29-2020, 02:30 PM
Hess great Coach.. Remember, The Cheats had EIGHT guys opt out for Covid, And FOUR starters! We had 0! That would have made a huge difference on our team...I would think

and the Pats also had time to prepare for those who opted out.

we had some MAJOR injuries last year and never looked as bad as the Pats this year. We looked terrible on offense but we were 8-5 at one point with Duck at QB for a few games.

Lmao at the excuses made for BB this year. I could see if they were like 9-7 but they were ass juice this year.

and you call them the Cheats.. lol.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-29-2020, 03:02 PM
Tomlin is a good coach. He made his share of mistakes. For example, I thought he should had called a TO near the end of the half and took 3 points instead of going for the TD on 4th down.

I thought it was funny that the announcers made it seem like by the Colts rushing to the line, Tomlin panicked and didn't call TO. The opposite should have applied. If he was scared and panicking then that is when he would have called timeout.

I thought at the time that he just wanted to get his guys inside to lay into them for the crap they put out on the field for the first 30 minutes. At his PC today he said that he didn't because he just saw his D give up a huge play that happened to be called back by penalty. He didn't want to see the Colts, even on 3rd and 18, run a play.

I disagree with that mindset. It's the whole "can't live in your fears" idea. You have to be able to trust your D to stop them on 3rd and 18 and give your O a cance to get the ball back. But I did think that the whole "Indy fooled Tomlin into not calling it by rushing to the line" narrative ridiculous.

NJ-STEELER
12-29-2020, 05:08 PM
Actually, I think about half the posters here would refuse to assign any blame at all to him (even if he warranted some blame), immediately chalking up the loss entirely to poor execution on the part of the players.

$$$ ............

NJ-STEELER
12-29-2020, 05:11 PM
Actually, I disagree and would suggest your opinion is that of the majority who like Tomlin.

The issue is that reasonable people who see him as a very "good" coach are constantly defending him against those who despise the fact that he is our coach.

I have argued that he is not proven to be a "great" coach several times. But all people recall is that I defend him alot.

Why? Rarely is the debate between good and great. It is usually between good and being an idiot who should have been fired years ago.

Seriously, there are maybe 2 or 3 regulars who can hardly ever concede a flaw in Tomlin.

Most have the reasonable view you describe, just rarely a reason to debate that moderate view.

2 or 3 regulars.

did you forget a zero?

Captain Lemming
12-29-2020, 05:20 PM
2 or 3 regulars.

did you forget a zero?

I didn't know the field called for 2 characters.
As someone born in the month of March I should have known better.

I should have said "03" just like the month of my birth.
I stand corrected sir. :)

Captain Lemming
12-29-2020, 05:41 PM
2 or 3 regulars.

did you forget a zero?

A bet.
Name 4 regulars (Legend or HOFer status) who tend to defend Tomlin and I can EASILY get you a quote and link of at least one criticizing him.

Loser leaves the forum until the week before the SB.

Buzz you too can get into this action :)

NJ-STEELER
12-29-2020, 05:51 PM
A bet.
Name 4 regulars (Legend or HOFer status) who tend to defend Tomlin and I can EASILY get you a quote and link of at least one criticizing him.

Loser leaves the forum until the week before the SB.

Buzz you too can get into this action :)
not taking the bet but pretty easy. don't care if you find 1 post criticizing out of 500 complimentary ones

felt
Oveido
oh wow
Hawaii
ruthless
Idiotfromsudan
you, up until a post i saw today

there's probably about 20 more on the scout message board too

BURGH86STEEL
12-29-2020, 06:28 PM
I thought it was funny that the announcers made it seem like by the Colts rushing to the line, Tomlin panicked and didn't call TO. The opposite should have applied. If he was scared and panicking then that is when he would have called timeout.

I thought at the time that he just wanted to get his guys inside to lay into them for the crap they put out on the field for the first 30 minutes. At his PC today he said that he didn't because he just saw his D give up a huge play that happened to be called back by penalty. He didn't want to see the Colts, even on 3rd and 18, run a play.

I disagree with that mindset. It's the whole "can't live in your fears" idea. You have to be able to trust your D to stop them on 3rd and 18 and give your O a cance to get the ball back. But I did think that the whole "Indy fooled Tomlin into not calling it by rushing to the line" narrative ridiculous.
Sometimes coaches make decisions based on the ebb and flow of a game. Sometimes they make decisions based on factors that fans don't know. It's understandable if Tomlin wanted to go into half time and regroup with the way both units performed in the 1st half of the game.

Sometimes we don't need to agree with a decision to understand a decision. Sometimes no matter what decision a coach makes it isn't going to be the right or wrong decision.

I think it's better to attempt to understand decisions than to sit around and complain about them.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-29-2020, 06:41 PM
Sometimes coaches make decisions based on the ebb and flow of a game. Sometimes they make decisions based on factors that fans don't know. It's understandable if Tomlin wanted to go into half time and regroup with the way both units performed in the 1st half of the game.

Sometimes we don't need to agree with a decision to understand a decision. Sometimes no matter what decision a coach makes it isn't going to be the right or wrong decision.

I think it's better to attempt to understand decisions than to sit around and complain about them.

I agree. I understood the decision, I disagreed with the decision (without knowing if there was something we don't know that contributed to it), but I thought it was ridiculous to make it seem like Tomlin was fooled by the no huddle rush to the line. Like I said earlier, if he was so put off by that then he would have called TO.