PDA

View Full Version : WFT cuts Haskins

Oviedo
12-28-2020, 07:19 PM
Another cant miss QB misses

Just shows how hard it will be to replace Ben

Starlifter
12-28-2020, 08:09 PM
I don’t think anyone believes it will be easy, especially since we rarely draft top 10.

But the window where it becomes necessary is getting really close.

NJ-STEELER
12-28-2020, 08:23 PM
WFT becoming WTF

NorthCoast
12-28-2020, 08:56 PM
Yet another failed OSU QB in the NFL

Oviedo
12-28-2020, 10:00 PM
Yet another failed OSU QB in the NFL

I'd always be leery drafting a QB from Ohio State or Alabama. So much talent around them it magnifies how good they are.

feltdizz
12-28-2020, 10:35 PM
Not a fan of Haskin’s but he got a raw deal. Gruden needed to win now and that was too much pressure for a guy like Haskin’s. Then Rivera comes in and without any offseason reps throws a new offense at him and expects instant success?

No doubt he seems immature but plenty of people have made worse mistakes.

I would definitely take a chance on Haskins on the cheap.

Oviedo
12-28-2020, 10:39 PM
Not a fan of Haskin’s but he got a raw deal. Gruden needed to win now and that was too much pressure for a guy like Haskin’s. Then Rivera comes in and without any offseason reps throws a new offense at him and expects instant success?

Hard pass!!!!

SteelerMaine83
12-28-2020, 10:39 PM
[QUOTE=Oviedo;814954]I'd always be leery drafting a QB from Ohio State or Alabama. So much talent around them it magnifies how good they are.

Add Florida. No Florida QB has ever been any good in the pros, really. I wouldn’t take Fields or Trask if they were available in the second.

feltdizz
12-28-2020, 10:47 PM
[QUOTE=Oviedo;814954]I'd always be leery drafting a QB from Ohio State or Alabama. So much talent around them it magnifies how good they are.

Add Florida. No Florida QB has ever been any good in the pros, really. I wouldn’t take Fields or Trask if they were available in the second.

Yeah.. I said the same thing about Texas Tech QB’s and missed on Mahomes.

NorthCoast
12-28-2020, 11:33 PM

I would definitely take a chance on Haskins on the cheap.Don't care what kind of deal he got from the coaches. When a rookie QB comes into the NFL and doesn't practice hard, is lazy, and is called out by his own team mates for his lack of work ethic, that's all I need to know to say no thank you. Let some other team try to develop him into a starting QB.
Apparently his coaches had seen enough to know he didn't seem to have the it factor. He makes poor decisions and he also isn't a particularly accurate passer.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/10/06/dwayne-haskins-bust-franchise-quarterback/?itid=lk_inline_manual_32&itid=lk_inline_manual_55

https://www.radio.com/thefandc/sports/washington-football-team/dwayne-haskins-chance-again-failed-impress

feltdizz
12-28-2020, 11:45 PM
Don't care what kind of deal he got from the coaches. When a rookie QB comes into the NFL and doesn't practice hard, is lazy, and is called out by his own team mates for his lack of work ethic, that's all I need to know to say no thank you. Let some other team try to develop him into a starting QB.
Apparently his coaches had seen enough to know he didn't seem to have the it factor. He makes poor decisions and he also isn't a particularly accurate passer.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/10/06/dwayne-haskins-bust-franchise-quarterback/?itid=lk_inline_manual_32&itid=lk_inline_manual_55

https://www.radio.com/thefandc/sports/washington-football-team/dwayne-haskins-chance-again-failed-impress

its still early in his career. Mason Rudolph probably works hard in practice and he isn’t anything special.

Let his sit for a year and then if Ben retires give him a shot if he’s matured, if not.. move on. Its low risk, high reward.

hawaiiansteel
12-28-2020, 11:48 PM
Washington, Dwayne Haskins potentially will do battle over more than $4.2 million

Posted by Mike Florio on December 28, 2020

Washington quarterback Dwayne Haskins is gone. He may not be quickly forgotten, not if the team claims that his remaining guarantees have become null and void and a legal fight ensues.

The first question becomes whether the team even cares to try. It may view Haskins’ fully-guaranteed 2021 and 2022 salaries (which exceed $4.2 million combined) as a sunk cost and not even bother to attempt to avoid the cash and cap obligation. The team also could play hardball, and based on the language of Haskins’ contract there’s reason to think that the franchise could have a case to avoid paying Haskins more than the $10 million he already has received under the four-year, $14.4 million deal he signed as the 15th pick in the 2019 draft.

The language of Haskins’ contract, a copy of which PFT has obtained, has specific terminology that voids remaining guarantees based on something less than an actual suspension. Here’s the key language, regarding : “Player shall be deemed in Default of the Contract if Player takes any action that Club determines, in its reasonable discretion, undermines the public’s respect for . . . Player’s teammates, Club’s ownership, coaches, [or] management.”

The Haskins contract also says that, in the event of a default, all remaining guarantees “shall immediately be deemed NULL AND VOID.” (Emphasis in original.)

There’s another angle that potentially could apply in Haskins’ case. Cutting Haskins for “personal conduct that has adversely affected” the team would position Washington to argue that, even though Haskins’ salaries for 2021 and 2022 are guaranteed for injury, skill, and salary cap, he was cut for none of those reasons. That’s the approach the Ravens took when cutting safety Earl Thomas and attempting to avoid his $10 million guaranteed salary for 2020. (A grievance is still pending.)

Between last week’s COVID-19 escapades (the team fined Haskins $40,000), Haskins’ apparent attempt to skip a mandatory media obligation (he eventually complied), and whatever else precipitated Washington abruptly deciding to cut him, there’s surely a fact or two (or more) that could be used to make the case that Haskins should get nothing more than the $10 million he’s already gotten. Although a grievance undoubtedly would be filed, the facts always drive the outcome — and Haskins’ behavior (as confirmed by his multiple public apologies) could make it easier for an arbitrator to rule against him.

Again, this all depends on whether Washington chooses to fight. Based on the various pieces of litigation that owner Daniel Snyder is currently pursuing and/or defending, it’s safe to say that, if there’s a way to save some money and/or send a message, Snyder will be in favor of exercising his right to do so.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/12/28/washington-dwayne-haskins-potentially-will-do-battle-over-more-than-4-2-million/

whisper
12-29-2020, 12:43 AM

I guess. But he's definitely immature.

DrCalculus
12-29-2020, 04:18 AM
I would be shocked if he doesn't end up with his original OC, who now has the same position with the Rams. And they are a team that has nothing behind the entrenched starter.

feltdizz
12-29-2020, 08:16 AM
I would be shocked if he doesn't end up with his original OC, who now has the same position with the Rams. And they are a team that has nothing behind the entrenched starter.

and Goeff just had thumb surgery.

Shawn
12-29-2020, 10:22 AM

I would definitely take a chance on Haskins on the cheap. This is a no brainer in my book. And I agree he got a raw deal. As soon as Washington drafted him, I was like ooooh no. All the talent in the world but needs development and maturity. He needs an organization like the Steelers.

Sly
12-29-2020, 10:46 AM
Another cant miss QB misses

Just shows how hard it will be to replace Ben

In 1956 a guy by the name of Johnny Unitas wasn't good enough to make the Steelers roster. Tom Brady was the 199th selection in the 2000 draft.
So despite all the scouts and modern analytics, picking a QB as good as Ben is little better than a crap shoot.

NorthCoast
12-29-2020, 10:56 AM
In 1956 a guy by the name of Johnny Unitas wasn't good enough to make the Steelers roster. Tom Brady was the 199th selection in the 2000 draft.
So despite all the scouts and modern analytics, picking a QB as good as Ben is little better than a crap shoot.....and picking a winning NFL OSU quarterback is even more of a crap shoot.

Ovi's point has merit. Was listening to a pro scout on the radio a few weeks back and he was talking about big school QBs and why they seem to fade when they get to the NFL. He said it's because few of them have faced continued adversity, few have had to overcome serious opponents because of all the surrounding talent on the team that helps their game. When they get to the NFL and talent is nearly equal across the board these QBs really struggle with playing mistake free football.

feltdizz
12-29-2020, 11:03 AM
So despite all the scouts and modern analytics, picking a QB as good as Ben is little better than a crap shoot.

probably have better luck drafting a MAC QB than one from Ohio State.

Captain Lemming
12-29-2020, 11:07 AM
Hard pass!!!!

We need more of those. :)

Buzz
12-29-2020, 11:09 AM
Bring him here and let Ju Ju and Claypool show him the ropes. He may never amount to an NFL starting quarterback, but he'd dang sure become a presence on TikTok

SteelBucks
12-29-2020, 11:14 AM
I guess. But he's definitely immature.

He’s only 23 years old.

Buzz
12-29-2020, 11:28 AM
He’s only 23 years old.

Thanks for that perspective. I'll bet almost all of us were doing some dumb stuff at 23.

Shawn
12-29-2020, 11:38 AM
....and picking a winning NFL OSU quarterback is even more of a crap shoot.

Ovi's point has merit. Was listening to a pro scout on the radio a few weeks back and he was talking about big school QBs and why they seem to fade when they get to the NFL. He said it's because few of them have faced continued adversity, few have had to overcome serious opponents because of all the surrounding talent on the team that helps their game. When they get to the NFL and talent is nearly equal across the board these QBs really struggle with playing mistake free football. I'm not sure this is remotely fair. Let me ask you a question. What has OSUs identity been over the decades? 3rd yards and a cloud of dust, defense, physical trench ball. That didn't change under Earl Bruce, Cooper or Jim T. They were not getting elite level recruits at the QB position. Under Urban Meyers, his offenses thrive with run first QBs. He began right at the end of his stint with the Buckeyes to finally recruit some guys who were pass first. Burrows and Haskins. Those are the only two QBs who truly had a shot in the pros since Art Scheister in the late 70s and early 80s. So your assessment isn't quite fair. Day is a whole different kind of coach. He is pass first and recruiting and landing top QB talent. Lets revisit this convo in 3-4 years.

feltdizz
12-29-2020, 11:44 AM
He’s only 23 years old.

and while he showed some immaturity, we have seen a lot of people make
bad decisions during covid when it comes to mask and social distancing.

It would down right criminal to not give him a look. We brought in Paxton Lynch or whatever his name is and let him marinate for a few. Why not give Haskins a shot?

If he doesn’t improve, just move on.. its not like we used our first on him. Last thing you should ever do is think a bad organization making a move is proof a guy is terrible. Sometimes its the opposite.

and isn’t Washington in the midst
of a scandal regarding inappropriate use of cheerleaders, FO shenanigans, etc???

SteelBucks
12-29-2020, 11:49 AM
I'm not sure this is remotely fair. Let me ask you a question. What has OSUs identity been over the decades? 3rd yards and a cloud of dust, defense, physical trench ball. That didn't change under Earl Bruce, Cooper or Jim T. They were not getting elite level recruits at the QB position. Under Urban Meyers, his offenses thrive with run first QBs. He began right at the end of his stint with the Buckeyes to finally recruit some guys who were pass first. Burrows and Haskins. Those are the only two QBs who truly had a shot in the pros since Art Scheister in the late 70s and early 80s. So your assessment isn't quite fair. Day is a whole different kind of coach. He is pass first and recruiting and landing top QB talent. Lets revisit this convo in 3-4 years.

Agree about Ryan Day. McCord and Ewers are not household names yet but they will be soon. Two 5 star, pro-style QB prospects that Day will have the opportunity to develop. It’s been awhile but I’m excited about the QB position at Ohio State moving forward.

feltdizz
12-29-2020, 11:50 AM
I'm not sure this is remotely fair. Let me ask you a question. What has OSUs identity been over the decades? 3rd yards and a cloud of dust, defense, physical trench ball. That didn't change under Earl Bruce, Cooper or Jim T. They were not getting elite level recruits at the QB position. Under Urban Meyers, his offenses thrive with run first QBs. He began right at the end of his stint with the Buckeyes to finally recruit some guys who were pass first. Burrows and Haskins. Those are the only two QBs who truly had a shot in the pros since Art Scheister in the late 70s and early 80s. So your assessment isn't quite fair. Day is a whole different kind of coach. He is pass first and recruiting and landing top QB talent. Lets revisit this convo in 3-4 years.

Burrows left and found major success at LSU. I think it comes down to philosophy and Burrows lucked up and had the Saints in his backyard.

I think the issue is even with your info plenty of NFL GM’s and even you have predicted some of these QB’s would do well in the NFL. Corderall was supposed to surprise people in the NFL right?

You said Fields is the truth.. and maybe he bucks the trend but if he is a bust like the rest??? just sayin’

Shawn
12-29-2020, 11:51 AM
Agree about Ryan Day. McCord and Ewers are not household names yet but they will be soon. Two 5 star, pro-style QB prospects that Day will have the opportunity to develop. It’s been awhile but I’m excited about the QB position at Ohio State moving forward. Exactly. We have some top level QB talent coming in. I'm excited.

Oviedo
12-29-2020, 11:56 AM
Thanks for that perspective. I'll bet almost all of us were doing some dumb stuff at 23.

How many of "us" were getting paid millions of dollars and being asked to lead and be the face of a professional sports franchise.

If he wants to be "us" let him get a job with his OSU education and see where he ends up

Captain Lemming
12-29-2020, 11:59 AM

Shawn, don't be such a:

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/FbNEU3NsboVkmUTZfSdVeWYWgt4=/0x0:939x704/1400x1050/filters:focal(0x0:939x704):no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/49610677/homersimpson.0.0.jpg

Shawn
12-29-2020, 12:21 PM
Oh hush up Lemming :)

Captain Lemming
12-29-2020, 12:26 PM

Dude lemmings ARE silent. We are the stealthy winter assasins of the animal kingdom.

feltdizz
12-29-2020, 12:52 PM
How many of "us" were getting paid millions of dollars and being asked to lead and be the face of a professional sports franchise.

If he wants to be "us" let him get a job with his OSU education and see where he ends up

true.. but look at the franchise he was being asked to lead. 25 women have charged the Washington owner and others with sexual misconduct.

I just think its a raw deal to ask a QB to come in (who was forced on them by the owner) and expect them to save a HC on the hot seat and then live up to the expectations of the new coach who is flexing his muscle.

Just feels like Haskins was made out as the scapegoat for bad management.

and yes, maybe he wasn’t ready, which is why I wouldn’t have a problem giving him a look. There is no pressure on him for the next year or 2 as a Steeler. Sit, learn and then see if he can play.

Shawn
12-29-2020, 12:56 PM
true.. but look at the franchise he was being asked to lead. 25 women have charged the Washington owner and others with sexual misconduct.

I just think its a raw deal to ask a QB to come in (who was forced on them by the owner) and expect them to save a HC on the hot seat and then live up to the expectations of the new coach who is flexing his muscle.

and yes, maybe he wasn’t ready, which is why I wouldn’t have a problem giving him a look. There is no pressure on him for the next year or 2 as a Steeler. Sit, learn and then see if he can play. I couldn't agree more. Bad situation, bad coaching, bad organization, bad passing system. Few if any could have thrived in that environment.

NorthCoast
12-29-2020, 01:03 PM
I'm not sure this is remotely fair. Let me ask you a question. What has OSUs identity been over the decades? 3rd yards and a cloud of dust, defense, physical trench ball. That didn't change under Earl Bruce, Cooper or Jim T. They were not getting elite level recruits at the QB position. Under Urban Meyers, his offenses thrive with run first QBs. He began right at the end of his stint with the Buckeyes to finally recruit some guys who were pass first. Burrows and Haskins. Those are the only two QBs who truly had a shot in the pros since Art Scheister in the late 70s and early 80s. So your assessment isn't quite fair. Day is a whole different kind of coach. He is pass first and recruiting and landing top QB talent. Lets revisit this convo in 3-4 years.It is fair based on the historical record. And the modern QB and offenses have only emerged in the last decade. But ok, let's revisit in a few years to see if OSU has finally caught on with the modern era.

Shawn
12-29-2020, 01:05 PM
It is fair based on the historical record. And the modern QB and offenses have only emerged in the last decade. But ok, let's revisit in a few years to see if OSU has finally caught on with the modern era. I would agree tOSU had played run first ball for decades and is just now under Day changing with the times. No disagreement from me there. But, to act like Ohio State was getting all this QB talent that just never developed or whatever it was that you were insinuating wasn't a fair appraisal.

feltdizz
12-29-2020, 01:08 PM
I couldn't agree more. Bad situation, bad coaching, bad organization, bad passing system. Few if any could have thrived in that environment.

I’m not saying Haskins is Peyton, Luck or even Josh Allen or Baker levels..

but these other QB’s had a chance to throw a bunch of terrible balls and have a ton of INT’s their first few years in the league and Haskins is supposed to come on and immediately be a HOFer?

Hell, look at Cam in NE. He looks awful but BB isn’t trying to kill his confidence.

I get he broke protocol and Rivera was fighting cancer but lets be real.. a lot
of people are breaking covid rules. Hopefully he can bounce back. Would hate to see his career end over this nonsense.

NorthCoast
12-29-2020, 01:11 PM

and yes, maybe he wasn’t ready, which is why I wouldn’t have a problem giving him a look. There is no pressure on him for the next year or 2 as a Steeler. Sit, learn and then see if he can play.another case of playing the victim and blaming everything/everyone around him... Burrow seemed to have little problem going to a disaster org in southern Ohio. And that doesn't explain being lazy in practice, lacking study habits, etc. Likely immature because he thought he could get by on talent alone. But at some point something should have triggered him to do better. Then again, maybe the guy just isn't very smart?

NorthCoast
12-29-2020, 01:16 PM
I would agree tOSU had played run first ball for decades and is just now under Day changing with the times. No disagreement from me there. But, to act like Ohio State was getting all this QB talent that just never developed or whatever it was that you were insinuating wasn't a fair appraisal.for the record Shawn I've never said OSU had talent at QB. And to your point, they really haven't.

Shawn
12-29-2020, 01:19 PM
for the record Shawn I've never said OSU had talent at QB. And to your point, they really haven't. Ok, then why criticize a school for not producing NFL starting QBs when they were not built to recruit talented QBs? I guess I didn't see why you were taking shots.

fordfixer
12-29-2020, 01:30 PM
Let’s play nice boys and girls. :D

feltdizz
12-29-2020, 02:43 PM
Ok, then why criticize a school for not producing NFL starting QBs when they were not built to recruit talented QBs? I guess I didn't see why you were taking shots.

because some people have been predicting success for some of their QB’s that didn’t materialize?

I do the same for QB’s from USC and Bama.. although I think Bama finally started getting better talent at QB with Tua and Hurts, still felt like Hurts going to Oklahoma gave him an advantage over Tua.

But the reality is as long as GM’s and pundits.. and Buckeye fans, say QB’s like Haskin’s, Pryor and Cordarall (sp) will do good things in the NFL people will judge accordingly.

Shawn
12-29-2020, 03:45 PM
because some people have been predicting success for some of their QB’s that didn’t materialize?

I do the same for QB’s from USC and Bama.. although I think Bama finally started getting better talent at QB with Tua and Hurts, still felt like Hurts going to Oklahoma gave him an advantage over Tua.

But the reality is as long as GM’s and pundits.. and Buckeye fans, say QB’s like Haskin’s, Pryor and Cordarall (sp) will do good things in the NFL people will judge accordingly. lol...produce me a quote where I predicted success for Pryor or Cordall? I didn't think either would amount to much of anything. Pryor was a one option look then run QB. Cordale Jones had a massive cannon arm but lacked accuracy. He was bailed out by all world receiver play against Bama. But, don't let the facts get in the way of your opinions. Even if Haskins flames out I'm still batting .666 on my recent QB picks. Most GMs would take that.

Shawn
12-29-2020, 03:56 PM
Oh BTW Felt just went back and looked and seen a post from 4/2017 where I was comparing Mahomes to Aaron Rodgers level talent. A poster by the name of "diamondlucy" pretty sure it was Crash stated I was insane for believing that. He liked Kizer lol. You agreed with him. I mean I should run the list on how many you have gotten wrong.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-29-2020, 04:10 PM
Let’s play nice boys and girls. :D

you new to this board? :D

feltdizz
12-29-2020, 04:54 PM
Oh BTW Felt just went back and looked and seen a post from 4/2017 where I was comparing Mahomes to Aaron Rodgers level talent. A poster by the name of "diamondlucy" pretty sure it was Crash stated I was insane for believing that. He liked Kizer lol. You agreed with him. I mean I should run the list on how many you have gotten wrong.

Dude, I have repeatedly admitted I was wrong on Mahomes and gave you props. How much credit do you need? lmao

You laughed at me when I said Kamara was legit in the draft and have yet to admit you were wrong..

but its okay, I know its hard for some people to admit when they miss.

but speaking of Kizer, you predicted he would be better than Deshaun Watson back in 2017.

feltdizz
12-29-2020, 05:45 PM
another case of playing the victim and blaming everything/everyone around him... Burrow seemed to have little problem going to a disaster org in southern Ohio. And that doesn't explain being lazy in practice, lacking study habits, etc. Likely immature because he thought he could get by on talent alone. But at some point something should have triggered him to do better. Then again, maybe the guy just isn't very smart?

wait.. you just called the Bengals a disaster franchise yet cant admit a place
like Washington is a disaster for QB’s?

Really? Have you looked at that owner and franchise when it comes to the QB position?

Burrow is legit but he’s also 2-7-1. But I’m not even sure what your point is because he is on IR. Getting hurt would’ve been the best thing for Haskins this year.

I’m sure Haskins is immature, its a requirement for Buckeye QB’s. Still doesn’t mean he was given a legit shot since he was forced on a HC on his way out and wasn’t part of the plan for the new staff.

Seriously, how do you start a QB this immature and then cut him the next day? That’s just weird. Rivera said he played well for 1 quarter vs Seattle the prior week so he let him start.

That doesn’t seem weird to you?

Shawn
12-29-2020, 07:44 PM
Dude, I have repeatedly admitted I was wrong on Mahomes and gave you props. How much credit do you need? lmao

You laughed at me when I said Kamara was legit in the draft and have yet to admit you were wrong..

but its okay, I know its hard for some people to admit when they miss.

but speaking of Kizer, you predicted he would be better than Deshaun Watson back in 2017. This was my quote on Kizer from 2017: But, what I will personally say is that Kizer looks nothing like Rodgers. He couldn't even stay a starter at the college level. Big arm yes but that can be said about many. Everything else about his tape screams bust.

pfelix73
12-29-2020, 09:19 PM

I like Trask. He'd be a good fit here in Pitt. Nice size. 6'5"

NorthCoast
12-30-2020, 12:25 AM
wait.. you just called the Bengals a disaster franchise yet cant admit a place
like Washington is a disaster for QB’s?

Really? Have you looked at that owner and franchise when it comes to the QB position?

Burrow is legit but he’s also 2-7-1. But I’m not even sure what your point is because he is on IR. Getting hurt would’ve been the best thing for Haskins this year.

I’m sure Haskins is immature, its a requirement for Buckeye QB’s. Still doesn’t mean he was given a legit shot since he was forced on a HC on his way out and wasn’t part of the plan for the new staff.

Seriously, how do you start a QB this immature and then cut him the next day? That’s just weird. Rivera said he played well for 1 quarter vs Seattle the prior week so he let him start.

That doesn’t seem weird to you?felt, I didn't say anything about Washington as an org. My point is a franchise QB is expected to raise the level of the offense. Teams don't cut QBs that they think have any chance to develop into a franchise QB. We all know how hard it is to find those guys. The fact that he was cut should ring loud alarms that something was very wrong.

Read Rivera's words. He's not even talking about his game play, he's talking about Haskins learning how to prepare for a game;

And as far as that process going forward, Rivera says he believes Smith’s track record of helping to develop and nurture young quarterbacks will be a boost for Haskins.

“(Smith has) kinda showed these guys how to study and prepare for a game, how to handle it,” Rivera said Monday. “And I think this is gonna be very good for Dwayne. I think Dwayne’s gonna get an opportunity to truly see how to prepare for a game as a starter. And I think, hopefully, Dwayne will take it that way. This is an opportunity to learn and grow.

“And then, who knows? He may get his opportunity again shortly. But he’s just gotta be ready and prepare as if he’s really one play away.

SteelBucks
12-30-2020, 12:42 AM
[QUOTE=SteelerMaine83;814965]

I worry about QBs that have zero mobility. I may be wrong but he looks statuesque in the pocket to me.

hawaiiansteel
12-30-2020, 12:55 AM
Haskins cleared waivers.

Captain Lemming
12-30-2020, 01:56 AM

I don't know Trask's exact height, but there is no way he is 6'5".
More like the shortest QB in history
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bl2Kr1pCQAAcIVx.png

feltdizz
12-30-2020, 10:07 AM
felt, I didn't say anything about Washington as an org. My point is a franchise QB is expected to raise the level of the offense. Teams don't cut QBs that they think have any chance to develop into a franchise QB. We all know how hard it is to find those guys. The fact that he was cut should ring loud alarms that something was very wrong.

Read Rivera's words. He's not even talking about his game play, he's talking about Haskins learning how to prepare for a game;

And as far as that process going forward, Rivera says he believes Smith’s track record of helping to develop and nurture young quarterbacks will be a boost for Haskins.

“(Smith has) kinda showed these guys how to study and prepare for a game, how to handle it,” Rivera said Monday. “And I think this is gonna be very good for Dwayne. I think Dwayne’s gonna get an opportunity to truly see how to prepare for a game as a starter. And I think, hopefully, Dwayne will take it that way. This is an opportunity to learn and grow.

“And then, who knows? He may get his opportunity again shortly. But he’s just gotta be ready and prepare as if he’s really one play away.

Well, I said something about the Washington org.

Former Texans HC/GM OBrian said his star WR reminded him of Aaron Hernendez and traded him for peanuts. Does that mean Hopkins was a problem and had tendencies of a murderer? Just means an org/coach moving on frlm a player doesn’t always mean the player is a problem. Rivera didn’t want Haskins, didnt draft him. This was a power move by Rivera to show he is now in charge and he better get it right.

Every QB isn’t Peyton or Luck. This is why I would take a chance on him and let him sit and learn and see what he has in a year or 2.

Its not a risky move. If he doesn’t have it, move on.. but if he matures and grows you could have a talented, young QB on the cheap.

Shawn
12-30-2020, 10:29 AM
[QUOTE=pfelix73;815209]

I worry about QBs that have zero mobility. I may be wrong but he looks statuesque in the pocket to me. Trask has mobility. He isn't Lamar Jackson but the guy adjusts well in the pocket and can run when needed. He had two rushing TDs against Bama in the SEC championship game.

Shawn
12-30-2020, 10:30 AM

I like Trask. He'd be a good fit here in Pitt. Nice size. 6'5" I like Trask quite a bit. I think UF just scratched the surface of this kids talent.

Eich
12-30-2020, 10:38 AM
Its not a risky move. If he doesn’t have it, move on.. but if he matures and grows you could have a talented, young QB on the cheap.

I really hope we don't take a chance. If he has such potential and is young and cheap, why wouldn't the WFT keep him around as THEIR backup?

Blah. He's RG IV IMO

No thanks to WFT rejects.

I'd rather draft another project and look to 2021 free agents if Ben isn't going to go another year.

Shawn
12-30-2020, 10:42 AM
I really hope we don't take a chance. If he has such potential and is young and cheap, why wouldn't the WFT keep him around as THEIR backup?

Blah. He's RG IV IMO

I'd rather draft another project and look to 2021 free agents if Ben isn't going to go another year. Why are you comparing him to RG? His style is nothing like RGs. He is a prototypical pocket passer. Second, much of the Haskins nonsense is political. Someone will pick him up and develop him. I just hope he goes to a good team who can be patient and develop him.

Sly
12-30-2020, 10:47 AM
Why are you comparing him to RG? His style is nothing like RGs. He is a prototypical pocket passer. Second, much of the Haskins nonsense is political. Someone will pick him up and develop him. I just hope he goes to a good team who can be patient and develop him.

I think one thing we can all agree upon is that he wasn't given a fair shot in Washington. I wouldn't be surprised if the Patriots pick him up.

feltdizz
12-30-2020, 11:14 AM

Blah. He's RG IV IMO

I'd rather draft another project and look to 2021 free agents if Ben isn't going to go another year.

hold up.. so now we trust bad organizations when evaluating talent AFTER 12 games? Really?

Haskins would be cheap for us.. he isn’t cheap to WFT. They drafted him 15th.

The reason Rivera didn’t keep him around is because that’s a Snyder pick and if he’s on the roster Snyder is going to keep pushing for him to play to prove he was right. This was a power play by Rivera.

Also, Rivera brought Heinicke with him from Carolina as another option at backup QB. As a Charlotte resident I know that dude isn’t anything special but thats Rivera’s guy. He isn’t on the roster because he is the best backup Rivera could find, he’s on the roster because he is someone Rivera trust and is familiar with.

One mans trash can definitely be another mans treasure if you know the history of the man throwing out the “trash”

Again, maybe Haskins isn’t any good but I would prefer to find out myself over the info received from a FO who never wanted the guy to begin with.

feltdizz
12-30-2020, 11:20 AM
Why are you comparing him to RG? His style is nothing like RGs. He is a prototypical pocket passer. Second, much of the Haskins nonsense is political. Someone will pick him up and develop him. I just hope he goes to a good team who can be patient and develop him.

some people are lazy when it comes to QB comparisons.

Captain Lemming
12-30-2020, 11:26 AM
Why are you comparing him to RG? His style is nothing like RGs. He is a prototypical pocket passer.

Come on Shawn we know what they have in common.

I certainly don't hesitate to call him out on it.

The ONE THING he has in common with RG3 is skin color. There is no denying that fact.

RG3 and Haskins were both REDSKINS. :)

Eich
12-30-2020, 03:38 PM

The ONE THING he has in common with RG3 is skin color. There is no denying that fact.

RG3 and Haskins were both REDSKINS. :)

I live in DC land. They were both big Daniel Synder first round picks. Both with high expectations as the franchise savior. Both worried more about their "brand" than their play. Both overrated in my opinion. Both pretty much rejected by their coach. Both WANTED to be a prototypical pocket passer, regardless of the fact that RGIII could only succeed with his legs. RGIII lobbied hard to be a pocket passer. Both found the bench and kicked out of Redskins land.

Middle finger to anyone suggesting that my comparison is because of skin color. I couldn't care less what color he is. My opinion is that his career will follow a path similar to RGIII.

I might be wrong and he becomes someone's next franchise QB. And if so, good for him. I just don't see it.

feltdizz
12-30-2020, 03:58 PM
I live in DC land. They were both big Daniel Synder first round picks. Both with high expectations as the franchise savior. Both worried more about their "brand" than their play. Both overrated in my opinion. Both pretty much rejected by their coach. Both WANTED to be a prototypical pocket passer, regardless of the fact that RGIII could only succeed with his legs. RGIII lobbied hard to be a pocket passer. Both found the bench and kicked out of Redskins land.

Middle finger to anyone suggesting that my comparison is because of skin color. I couldn't care less what color he is. My opinion is that his career will follow a path similar to RGIII.

I might be wrong and he becomes someone's next franchise QB. And if so, good for him. I just don't see it.

why would Haskins want to be anything but a pocket passer? Maybe I’m old but I don’t remember him being a run first QB in college. Haskins ran for a whopping 103 yards in 2 years at Ohio State. This is probably why people laughed at your comparison. They are 2 completely different QB’s. I’m not familiar with Haskin’s brand. Didn’t hear much about it to be honest.

I just searched and found a post by Booger McFarland speaking on players like Haskins being worried about their brand. However, I think he missed. Now maybe Haskins is a tik tok dude like JuJu but I just think its a generational thing. These young kids overshare. They post on twitter and tik tok like how we used to talk on the phone back in the day. So I doubt its for the brand, its just for likes and oversharing. Its stupid IMO. Why film yourself breaking protocol? But.. we also just did so again, I think this is way too much piling on. They act like Haskins flew to Wuhan and scooped up some strippers with bat soup in their backpacks.

and you make my point, the HC didn’t want him so how can anyone really know if Haskin’s isn’t any good? When you don’t want a player you damn sure aren’t going to give him a legit shot to win the job.

and RG3 is totally different because he was successful in an RPO and demanded a nee offense that didn’t play to his strengths. This is Scott Turners first year as an OC. He barely knows what he is doing without his daddy by his side.

NorthCoast
12-30-2020, 04:22 PM
why would Haskins want to be anything but a pocket passer? Maybe I’m old but I don’t remember him being a run first QB in college. Haskins ran for a whopping 103 yards in 2 years at Ohio State. This is probably why people laughed at your comparison. They are 2 completely different QB’s. I’m not familiar with Haskin’s brand. Didn’t hear much about it to be honest.

The window to decide on a franchise QB these days is maybe 2 seasons of starting. After that, the team could be rolling the dice on whether to extend. The KC model is the one I think teams will follow. Draft a QB in the final year of the franchise QB. Let the rookie sit, watch, and learn in Yr 1. Start him in Yr 2. That gives the team three seasons to decide if they'll open their wallets for the QB long term. Teams cannot wait for a QB to mature into the position over multiple seasons. It shifts the risk from the player to the team.

Eich
12-30-2020, 04:59 PM

I just searched and found a post by Booger McFarland speaking on players like Haskins being worried about their brand. However, I think he missed. Now maybe Haskins is a tik tok dude like JuJu but I just think its a generational thing. These young kids overshare. They post on twitter and tik tok like how we used to talk on the phone back in the day. So I doubt its for the brand, its just for likes and oversharing. Its stupid IMO. Why film yourself breaking protocol? But.. we also just did so again, I think this is way too much piling on. They act like Haskins flew to Wuhan and scooped up some strippers with bat soup in their backpacks.

and you make my point, the HC didn’t want him so how can anyone really know if Haskin’s isn’t any good? When you don’t want a player you damn sure aren’t going to give him a legit shot to win the job.

and RG3 is totally different because he was successful in an RPO and demanded a nee offense that didn’t play to his strengths. This is Scott Turners first year as an OC. He barely knows what he is doing without his daddy by his side.

I didn't compare RG3's style to Haskins' style. I should have been more clear on that. I am referring to how things have gone with these 2 recent first round picks in Redskins land. I live the hype here in the DC area. In my opinion, Haskins will be a journeyman QB unless he really starts dedicating himself to the craft.

It just extremely annoying when people start looking for racism where it doesn't exist. People that look for it, will see it, regardless if it's really there.

Captain Lemming
12-30-2020, 06:30 PM

Clearly you missed my jest.
Please read my comment again....SLOWLY:

RG3 and Haskins were both REDSKINS.

THAT I think you just confirmed the fact that they were both "Redskins" is precisely why the comp was made correct? :)

Eich
12-30-2020, 07:20 PM
Clearly you missed my jest.
Please read my comment again....SLOWLY:

THAT I think you just confirmed the fact that they were both "Redskins" is precisely why the comp was made correct? :)

I guess I did miss that your comment was in jest. The fact that your post mentioned skin color I guess got under my skin! I don't see why that comment was necessary - in jest or otherwise. But it's all good :)

I'd prefer to go after a QB to get excited about. Someone who's either proven they can succeed in the NFL or looks to be hungry to succeed. Redskins rejects let go before the season ends don't get me excited. At all. Players go there to get ruined. I was sorry to see Alex Smith end up there. I'd love to see Haskins have a redemption story. I just feel like if we're the team to take him as a project, it will potentially waste our time. We're likely not going to look at other QBs for a while if we bring him in. I guess it's always a crap-shoot. But as I said, I'd rather go after someone to be a lot more excited about.

Captain Lemming
12-30-2020, 07:32 PM
I guess I did miss that your comment was in jest. The fact that your post mentioned skin color I guess got under my skin! I don't see why that comment was necessary - in jest or otherwise. But it's all good :)

I'd prefer to go after a QB to get excited about. Someone who's either proven they can succeed in the NFL or looks to be hungry to succeed. Redskins rejects let go before the season ends don't get me excited. At all. Players go there to get ruined. I was sorry to see Alex Smith end up there. I'd love to see Haskins have a redemption story. I just feel like if we're the team to take him as a project, it will potentially waste our time. We're likely not going to look at other QBs for a while if we bring him in. I guess it's always a crap-shoot. But as I said, I'd rather go after someone to be a lot more excited about.

I am in truth 100 percent torn on this one.
On the one hand I get Dizzs point about the chance to get talent on the cheap.
But historically, how often does a QB that a team gave up on suddenly blossom and thrive on a different team?

They pretty much always fail. But might this be an exception?

Northern_Blitz
12-30-2020, 07:57 PM

I don't think we have the cap space to bring in anyone to get really excited about next season.

Except maybe Fitz, who is always cheap for what he delivers on the field.

feltdizz
12-30-2020, 08:09 PM
I don't think we have the cap space to bring in anyone to get really excited about next season.

Except maybe Fitz, who is always cheap for what he delivers on the field.

Thats the name that I was going to bring up when speaking on Haskins.. he could be a poor mans Fitz as insurance. I’d take that for what it would cost us

I don’t see the harm in having Haskins in camp to compete with other QB’s. He’s probably the most talented QB we can bring in with our cap space and have some “excitement” about the possibilities.

I would be excited to have a QB with 12 starts and 2800 yards. Sure his turnovers were high but he’s had more live bullets than MR and Dobbs. If we can get him to focus and play within the system who knows what he looks like with his arm and age after sitting next year.

NJ-STEELER
12-30-2020, 08:24 PM
[QUOTE=SteelBucks;815231] Trask has mobility. He isn't Lamar Jackson but the guy adjusts well in the pocket and can run when needed. He had two rushing TDs against Bama in the SEC championship game.

he looked very good in the few games i saw him. looks like he's tough as nails too. took a tremendous cheap shot with his teammates starting a brawl over it defending him

i think he'll be long gone by the time our pick rolls around

NorthCoast
12-31-2020, 01:00 PM
If this doesn't tell you to stay away from Haskins I don't know what would:

Dan Steinberg
@dcsportsbog
Also via @Lescarpenter: Coaches "were stunned by his constant late arrivals to meetings, failure to master the playbook and refusal to prepare for games as diligently as NFL quarterbacks must. Several around the organization questioned his ability to lead and repeatedly said poor throws in practice would carryover into games"

Oviedo
12-31-2020, 01:33 PM
Thats the name that I was going to bring up when speaking on Haskins.. he could be a poor mans Fitz as insurance. I’d take that for what it would cost us

I don’t see the harm in having Haskins in camp to compete with other QB’s. He’s probably the most talented QB we can bring in with our cap space and have some “excitement” about the possibilities.

I would be excited to have a QB with 12 starts and 2800 yards. Sure his turnovers were high but he’s had more live bullets than MR and Dobbs. If we can get him to focus and play within the system who knows what he looks like with his arm and age after sitting next year.

Doesn't matter the caliber of your ammo if you can't hit the target

Shawn
12-31-2020, 02:10 PM

RG3 and Haskins were both REDSKINS. :) lol...yeah I'm a little more subtle with my observations. And the Redskin comment was almost clever. So kudos to you :)

feltdizz
12-31-2020, 07:01 PM
Doesn't matter the caliber of your ammo if you can't hit the target

12 games on a bad team isn’t enough evidence.

Can you name one WR or TE without googling?

hawaiiansteel
12-31-2020, 07:09 PM

Can you name one WR or TE without googling?

I can, Terry McLaurin was on my fantasy team.

SteelBucks
12-31-2020, 08:05 PM
I can, Terry McLaurin was on my fantasy team.

Buckeye! He was a Wolverine killer so he’s tops in my book.

NorthCoast
01-01-2021, 09:50 AM

Can you name one WR or TE without googling?I would take McLaurin on the Steelers in a microsecond.

steelerkeylargo
01-01-2021, 05:02 PM
An interesting side note Haskins has hired the same agent as................... Mike Tomlin

Disco1981
01-01-2021, 05:33 PM
Uhhhhhhhh Scary Terry McLaurin, one of the best WR's in the league, never heard of him lol!!!!!!!!!...AND , No thanks on Dip**** Haskins,Comes late, lazy, doesn't prepare...After sucking so bad that he lost the job that was handed to him...He says" May at well hit up the Titty Bar, during a raging Pandemic LMAO...No ****ing thanks!

Disco1981
01-01-2021, 05:44 PM
Uhhhhhhhh Scary Terry McLaurin, one of the best WR's in the league, never heard of him lol!!!!!!!!!...AND , No thanks on Dip**** Haskins,Comes late, lazy, doesn't prepare...After sucking so bad that he lost the job that was handed to him...He says" May at well hit up the Titty Bar, during a raging Pandemic LMAO...No ****ing thanks!

Probably same people who probably wanted Michael Vick lol

Buzz
01-02-2021, 01:15 AM
If this doesn't tell you to stay away from Haskins I don't know what would:

Some major red flags.

Doesn't look as though Haskins felt he owed much commitment to the team that was paying him. Can't see the Steelers signing him.

Disco1981
01-02-2021, 01:32 AM
Some major red flags.

Doesn't look as though Haskins felt he owed much commitment to the team that was paying him. Can't see the Steelers signing him.

Naaaah...Give him a chance, He's such a great guy and teammate!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-02-2021, 01:46 AM
His actions show low character or immaturity - or both. The Steelers have stayed away from that type of player for years. Nothing to see here.

Sly
01-02-2021, 10:41 AM
His actions show low character or immaturity - or both. The Steelers have stayed away from that type of player for years. Nothing to see here.

Everyone NFL player should be particularly careful about not contracting covid, and this is doubly true when you play for a coach, Ron Rivers, who is undergoing cancer treatment. I would suspect that his immune system isn't that strong during the treatment.

Shawn
01-05-2021, 08:54 AM
Haskins is the product of a helicopter Dad who was inventing a brand and developing a phenom. The problem is Haskins never fully was able in this environment to explore who he is...and what he wanted. Zero doubt he is immature. He thrived with Meyers because Meyers is more hands on. College has more support systems. For him to beat out Burrows speaks volumes about his talent. He has the best arm talent in the history of the Buckeye program and it's not even close...and that include Fields. Anyone signing up for Haskins needs to know he isn't ready to lead men. He can't even lead himself. He will need a close connection with a coach who will mentor him. He will need time to develop and he will need pushed. But, from a talent perspective he's got it all. He needs to decide what he wants. If it's not 100% football then he needs to do something else. But if he finds it in himself to love the game and commit to it...then he is worth developing.

Shawn
01-05-2021, 08:58 AM
Here's Meyers take on the situation. I agree with him. You need to surround him with an elite culture. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/urban-meyer-defends-dwayne-haskins-says-redskins-were-a-mess-and-need-to-surround-qb-with-elite-culture/

Eich
01-05-2021, 09:39 AM
Why are you comparing him to RG?

Haskins is the product of a helicopter Dad who was inventing a brand and developing a phenom.

I've heard the comparisons in the news, plenty here in Redskins land. Different players but very similar situations. Both started as the hopeful face of the franchise. Snyder's "man". And both ended up released in a short time. The experience with this organization is not good for most players, let alone a young QB with high expectations.

feltdizz
01-05-2021, 10:57 AM
Here's Meyers take on the situation. I agree with him. You need to surround him with an elite culture. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/urban-meyer-defends-dwayne-haskins-says-redskins-were-a-mess-and-need-to-surround-qb-with-elite-culture/

If Meyer goes to the Jags as rumored.. he will definitely scoop up Haskins. Will be interesting if that happens.

feltdizz
01-05-2021, 10:59 AM
I've heard the comparisons in the news, plenty here in Redskins land. Different players but very similar situations. Both started as the hopeful face of the franchise. Snyder's "man". And both ended up released in a short time. The experience with this organization is not good for most players, let alone a young QB with high expectations.

when your coaches don’t want you its really hard to succeed.

Captain Lemming
01-05-2021, 11:06 AM
when your coaches don’t want you its really hard to succeed.

Ben 2005? :)

feltdizz
01-05-2021, 01:07 PM
Ben 2005? :)

lmao.. good one. But also a once in a lifetime rookie season for an NFL QB.

People say it was Cowhers wife that made him retire, I think he was just pissed to see a QB come in and win immediately. Remember, Ben wasn’t going to play at all his rookie year..

I’m joking but remember the injury debates Ben and Cowher would have publicly. Broken toes, hurt hand.. Cowher would say it was all lies.

Shawn
01-05-2021, 01:10 PM
If Meyer goes to the Jags as rumored.. he will definitely scoop up Haskins. Will be interesting if that happens. I would love to see that for Haskins. But the problem is that Trevor Lawrence will be the Jags next QB.

feltdizz
01-05-2021, 01:26 PM
I would love to see that for Haskins. But the problem is that Trevor Lawrence will be the Jags next QB.

doh.. forgot they had the number 1 pick.

After last game could Meyer go Fields? He looked better than Trevor. IMO Trevor peaked too early and hasn’t impressed these last 2 years.

NorthCoast
01-05-2021, 01:34 PM
I laugh when people say 'he wasn't given a chance'... dude was drafted as a franchise QB, handed a multi-million dollar contract and he didn't care enough to put in the work to show he deserved it. Then when he plays bad it's because of the org.

The WFT team made him late for mtgs, the WFT made him not study the playbook, the WFT made him play sloppy in practice....:Binky

Honestly, let some other team burn valuable years waiting on the guy to mature. Steelers defense sure won't want to wait.

(and if Meyers thinks he's all that, he can make a bid for him as Lawrence's backup)

feltdizz
01-05-2021, 02:28 PM
I laugh when people say 'he wasn't given a chance'... dude was drafted as a franchise QB, handed a multi-million dollar contract and he didn't care enough to put in the work to show he deserved it. Then when he plays bad it's because of the org.

The WFT team made him late for mtgs, the WFT made him not study the playbook, the WFT made him play sloppy in practice....:Binky

Honestly, let some other team burn valuable years waiting on the guy to mature. Steelers defense sure won't want to wait.

(and if Meyers thinks he's all that, he can make a bid for him as Lawrence's backup)

I wouldn’t be surprised if that happened.

Kinda weird how people think a backup QB is going to burn valuable years.

Literally no one besides the weirdos on here (myself included) put so much stock into our 3rd and 4th string QB’s impact on the roster.

Chucktownsteeler
01-05-2021, 02:33 PM

After last game could Meyer go Fields? He looked better than Trevor. IMO Trevor peaked too early and hasn’t impressed these last 2 years.

Very good point. Trevor struggled against LSU last year and Ohio State this year. May want to give Fields a look.

Northern_Blitz
01-05-2021, 02:48 PM

People say it was Cowhers wife that made him retire, I think he was just pissed to see a QB come in and win immediately. Remember, Ben wasn’t going to play at all his rookie year..

I’m joking but remember the injury debates Ben and Cowher would have publicly. Broken toes, hurt hand.. Cowher would say it was all lies.

Setting the stage for others to say "it's all lies" every time Ben talks about being hurt in some way.

Northern_Blitz
01-05-2021, 02:50 PM

Yep. At some point people have to be responsible to their own actions.

Captain Lemming
01-05-2021, 04:13 PM

I always thought the motorcycle incident, how Ben just ignored his sound advice, made clear to Cowher he had no control of his QB.

Add that his defense was deteriorating, Ike looked like he was done, they could not afford his favorite; Porter.

He won the SB and a team in decline. A powerful player in a QB that could dismiss him.

Wife's health no doubt was a priority, but the outlook of this team looked bleak.

If Cowher remained...Ben walks when free agency comes. Rooneys would need to make a choice between the two at some point.

That is why this "Cowhers players" garbage is so ridiculous.

Tomlin's persuasive approach of treating players like grown men resurrected this team.

Eich
01-05-2021, 04:17 PM
I wouldn’t be surprised if that happened.

Kinda weird how people think a backup QB is going to burn valuable years.

Literally no one besides the weirdos on here (myself included) put so much stock into our 3rd and 4th string QB’s impact on the roster.

I don't think it's that weird. If we bring him in just to be a potentially better backup, then fine. But if we bring him in here to groom to potentially replace Ben, well, then we're likely not looking very hard for yet another potential Ben replacement.

feltdizz
01-05-2021, 04:31 PM
I don't think it's that weird. If we bring him in just to be a potentially better backup, then fine. But if we bring him in here to groom to potentially replace Ben, well, then we're likely not looking very hard for yet another potential Ben replacement.

I think you do both.. same as with Mason.

You groom but if a legit QB is there in the first during a down season you draft them. If not, you play the guys you have.

I doubt we would overlook a franchise QB in the draft if we were so awful we had a chance to select one.

feltdizz
01-05-2021, 04:37 PM
I always thought the motorcycle incident, how Ben just ignored his sound advice, made clear to Cowher he had no control of his QB.

Add that his defense was deteriorating, Ike looked like he was done, they could not afford his favorite; Porter.

He won the SB and a team in decline. A powerful player in a QB that could dismiss him.

Wife's health no doubt was a priority, but the outlook of this team looked bleak.

If Cowher remained...Ben walks when free agency comes. Rooneys would need to make a choice between the two at some point.

Tomlin's persuasive approach of treating players like grown men resurrected this team.

yeah.. I definitely think Cowher was done after that SB win. He knew he couldn’t keep Ben in check.

and thats my point with the Owner forcing the QB onto a coaching staff. Someone is going to go. Coach or player... better believe if Rivera doesn’t get a legit QB after alex Smith he is gone in a few years.

NorthCoast
01-05-2021, 04:48 PM

Tomlin's persuasive approach of treating players like grown men resurrected this team.That's really reaching. You have a QB that DEMONSTRATED his winning capabilities. Cowher wasn't an idiot. You do everything possible to keep the guy. I take Cowher at his word that he wanted to focus on family at that time. A good HC is literally absent from the family for at least 6 months out of the year. The possibility of the death of a spouse has a powerful way of resetting your priorities.

Captain Lemming
01-05-2021, 10:31 PM
.The possibility of the death of a spouse has a powerful way of resetting your priorities.

I am not dismissive of this fact. Thus this:

Wife's health no doubt was a priority

Nevertheless, Cowher seemed frustrated by Ben after the SB. Ben was clearly "feeling himself" after winning it. Seemed to have no respect.

Fact is Cowher was more publically critical of Ben than any scrub QB he ever coached. More critical than Tomlin was despite having coached Ben for only 3 years.

Though they seem to have a mutual respect today, you got the subtle sense there was resentment between the two.

I know the deal with his wife was real. But often a decision has many factors. I just wonder if the team dynamics, and the appearance of decline also contributed to the decision to leave.

Shawn
01-06-2021, 10:28 AM

After last game could Meyer go Fields? He looked better than Trevor. IMO Trevor peaked too early and hasn’t impressed these last 2 years. I don't think so. Yes, Fields looked better but I also seen Fields go completely deer in headlights against Northwesterns nasty D. Fields can be rattled with pressure.

feltdizz
01-06-2021, 12:06 PM
I don't think so. Yes, Fields looked better but I also seen Fields go completely deer in headlights against Northwesterns nasty D. Fields can be rattled with pressure.

I was down on Fields after that Northwestern game. He really balled out and showed grit after getting speared in the ribs.

I’ve seen Trevor play a ton of games since I’m in ACC land and he gives me the Andrew Luck vibe. He’s going to be good but I also feel like he was crowned as some savior and I doubt he lives up to the hype.

Steel Maniac
01-06-2021, 12:14 PM
That's really reaching. You have a QB that DEMONSTRATED his winning capabilities. Cowher wasn't an idiot. You do everything possible to keep the guy. I take Cowher at his word that he wanted to focus on family at that time. A good HC is literally absent from the family for at least 6 months out of the year. The possibility of the death of a spouse has a powerful way of resetting your priorities.

I’m with you on this.

hawaiiansteel
01-06-2021, 02:22 PM
Bruce Arians: Washington is not 7-9 with Alex Smith, we’re not playing Dwayne Haskins

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 6, 2021

The Washington Football Team is, at 7-9, the worst team in the playoffs. But that’s not how Buccaneers coach Bruce Arians sees it.

As Arians gets ready to coach against Washington on Saturday night, he noted that Washington has a winning record when Alex Smith is the starter, as will be the case this week.

“We’re not playing a 7-9 team. We’re playing a 4-1 team. When Alex Smith plays they’re a 4-1 team,” Arians said on ESPN. “We’re not playing Dwayne Haskins. We’re playing Alex Smith.

Arians actually understated how much better Washington’s record was with Smith during the 2020 season: Washington went 5-1 in games started by Smith, 1-5 in games started by Haskins and 1-3 in games started by Kyle Allen.

It’s unsurprising that Arians doesn’t want his team thinking of its opponent as a 7-9 team. No playoff opponent can be taken for granted.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/06/bruce-arians-washington-is-not-7-9-with-alex-smith-were-not-playing-dwayne-haskins/

feltdizz
01-06-2021, 02:25 PM
Bruce Arians: Washington is not 7-9 with Alex Smith, we’re not playing Dwayne Haskins

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 6, 2021

The Washington Football Team is, at 7-9, the worst team in the playoffs. But that’s not how Buccaneers coach Bruce Arians sees it.

As Arians gets ready to coach against Washington on Saturday night, he noted that Washington has a winning record when Alex Smith is the starter, as will be the case this week.

“We’re not playing a 7-9 team. We’re playing a 4-1 team. When Alex Smith plays they’re a 4-1 team,” Arians said on ESPN. “We’re not playing Dwayne Haskins. We’re playing Alex Smith.

Arians actually understated how much better Washington’s record was with Smith during the 2020 season: Washington went 5-1 in games started by Smith, 1-5 in games started by Haskins and 1-3 in games started by Kyle Allen.

It’s unsurprising that Arians doesn’t want his team thinking of its opponent as a 7-9 team. No playoff opponent can be taken for granted.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/06/bruce-arians-washington-is-not-7-9-with-alex-smith-were-not-playing-dwayne-haskins/

thats fair.. but I believe Smith has a high ankle sprain and Washington may rotate QB’s.

but yes, Smith is a savvy vet who protects the football.

feltdizz
01-21-2021, 02:56 PM

yes, I’m quoting myself...

and here comes the

boooooooom

hawaiiansteel
01-21-2021, 03:00 PM
yes, I’m quoting myself...

and here comes the

boooooooom

Ding Ding Ding :D

Joel Buchsbaum
01-22-2021, 02:18 PM

Yeah.. I said the same thing about Texas Tech QB’s and missed on Mahomes.

Andy Ried didn't miss on Mahomes. With Mahomes he had a rocket arm, the question was how does he do vs non Big 12 competition, and on teams that were not losing teams or barley above .500 as he got a lot of yards in games when his team was losing. I think we know the answer now.

feltdizz
01-22-2021, 03:54 PM
Andy Ried didn't miss on Mahomes. With Mahomes he had a rocket arm, the question was how does he do vs non Big 12 competition, and on teams that were not losing teams or barley above .500 as he got a lot of yards in games when his team was losing. I think we know the answer now.

well, my point is regardless of how many QB’s fail from a college.. it doesn’t mean the next good one will fail in the NFL.