PDA

View Full Version : Way Too Early 2021 Mock Draft

Shawn
12-28-2020, 04:51 PM
Since, I really didn't have time to do any time of mocks or research for the last draft I decided to double up on my efforts this year. Here goes...some early opinions.

1) Trey Hill C/G Georgia-We need OL in a bad way. He can play both C/G. He is a BIG center but has good athleticism for his size. He neutralized a future top 10 pick in Derrick Brown.

2) Kyle Trask-QB Florida-I really like this kid. Many will call me crazy but I have him ranked higher than Justin Fields. Big solid pocket passer with a strong arm, incredible pocket presence, accuracy, and decision making. He showed up big against big competition. And while he isn't super athletic like a Justin Fields he can still run and adjusts well in the pocket. What I love about this kid is that Florida is just scratching the surface of his talent. He is fairly new to the position. He is still learning the game. With a year of development I think he has a franchise ceiling.

3) Walker Little-OT, Stanford- 6 foot 7, he is violent and nasty. He has been playing left tackle since his freshman season. He pass blocks and run blocks well.

4) Jaylen Darden-WR North Texas- Yes he is small, but the way he moves in space makes me feel like I'm watching a game of Madden. He is dangerous to take it yard every time he touches the ball. His quick twitch movement is some of the best I've ever seen. I think he makes an instant impact as a punt returner.

Steel Maniac
12-28-2020, 04:58 PM
Thanks Shawn.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-28-2020, 05:14 PM
Thanks Shawn. I don't know any of these guys other than Trask, but I like the idea of two big, physical Olinemen in the top 3.

Oviedo
12-28-2020, 05:36 PM
Since, I really didn't have time to do any time of mocks or research for the last draft I decided to double up on my efforts this year. Here goes...some early opinions.

1) Trey Hill C/G Georgia-We need OL in a bad way. He can play both C/G. He is a BIG center but has good athleticism for his size. He neutralized a future top 10 pick in Derrick Brown.

2) Kyle Trask-QB Florida-I really like this kid. Many will call me crazy but I have him ranked higher than Justin Fields. Big solid pocket passer with a strong arm, incredible pocket presence, accuracy, and decision making. He showed up big against big competition. And while he isn't super athletic like a Justin Fields he can still run and adjusts well in the pocket. What I love about this kid is that Florida is just scratching the surface of his talent. He is fairly new to the position. He is still learning the game. With a year of development I think he has a franchise ceiling.

3) Walker Little-OT, Stanford- 6 foot 7, he is violent and nasty. He has been playing left tackle since his freshman season. He pass blocks and run blocks well.

4) Jaylen Darden-WR North Texas- Yes he is small, but the way he moves in space makes me feel like I'm watching a game of Madden. He is dangerous to take it yard every time he touches the ball. His quick twitch movement is some of the best I've ever seen. I think he makes an instant impact as a punt returner.

I like the idea of two OL in the first three rounds although I do like Center Creed Humphrey from Oklahoma maybe in Round 3. Also not sure you need to use a 1st round pick.

Trask scares me because he has been doing it for one year. Last year was very uneven. I'm not sure he is any better than Rudolph

flippy
12-28-2020, 05:59 PM
Let’s at least win the SuperBowl first. ;)

This has to be the earliest mock ever. Maybe SKL did one earlier?

Iron City Inc.
12-28-2020, 07:35 PM
What no Wade, Myers and Werner 1,2,3?
Good to see you posting again my friend. In all seriousness our O line needs are real. Banner I believe will help but there is more help needed. AV n Pouncey have just regressed.
Draft is so far out n players still declaring but sadly I'm thinking we could use help at just about every position. We really could use another haul like we had in 2017.

steelerkeylargo
12-28-2020, 07:53 PM

No sir. No mocks until the season is over. In regards to Shawn's effort I would prefer Humphrey over Hill. I think our 1st rounder is too early and our 2nd will be too late. Trask will be a first round pick also. Unless a top 5 QB is there in the first I prefer to trade back. This team will have lots of holes due to the Cap. In a year with not a lot of college players having significant tape a top GM like Colbert could really ace this draft.

steelerkeylargo
12-28-2020, 07:55 PM
Good to see you posting again my friend. In all seriousness our O line needs are real. Banner I believe will help but there is more help needed. AV n Pouncey have just regressed.
Draft is so far out n players still declaring but sadly I'm thinking we could use help at just about every position. We really could use another haul like we had in 2017.

Based on his play this year Shaun Wade will be lucky to be a late 2nd round pick.

Disco1981
12-28-2020, 08:02 PM

Or like last years haul

Shawn
01-03-2021, 11:12 AM
Draft is so far out n players still declaring but sadly I'm thinking we could use help at just about every position. We really could use another haul like we had in 2017. Thanks. Oh it's way too early but I figure I will start reviewing players now to make up for last offseason. And yes we need OL in a bad way.

Northern_Blitz
01-03-2021, 11:38 AM
Thanks Shawn.

I always respect the posters who know enough out NCAA players to do this. I appreciate having a heads up on guys to read a bit about.

I don't know about the players, but I like the positions of your round 1, 3, and 4 guys. I love the idea of rebuilding the OL and I think we won't be able to resign JuJu so getting a WR (as always) makes sense to me.

I hate the idea of using another pick on a QB this year. I don't know if there are any fits in the area, but I think it would be nice to take a TE (because I think it's fairly likely we cut our #1 and #2 TEs).

If we extend Ben, I think wasting rookie contract years is a huge waste of the most valuable resource in football.

If we don't extend Ben, I think it's better to be bad for a year to repair the cap.

I think we're bad next year no matter what and we'll have a ton of holes after cutting the roster due to the cap.

I'd rather fill a bunch of those holes and get the cap in better shape before getting a QB. I also don't think that good QBs are likely to last to our second pick (my inner Flippy says that's @ 64). I know that it does happen that good QBs fall, but I think it's even less likely to hit on these guys than on guys that go early in the 1st (and they miss often enough).

Chucktownsteeler
01-03-2021, 11:53 AM
Long way to go but right now Creed Humphrey or Wyatt Davis would look good in the 1st round.

steeler_george
01-03-2021, 12:18 PM

I think we forgot what it feel like to be in the playoffs.... sheesh I can just imagine the browns' fans. ( Shawn was done over theChristmas- New years, the typical Brown halloween?)

steeler_george
01-03-2021, 12:25 PM
No sir. No mocks until the season is over. In regards to Shawn's effort I would prefer Humphrey over Hill. I think our 1st rounder is too early and our 2nd will be too late. Trask will be a first round pick also. Unless a top 5 QB is there in the first I prefer to trade back. This team will have lots of holes due to the Cap. In a year with not a lot of college players having significant tape a top GM like Colbert could really ace this draft.

Largo I was thinking the same, It seems as if what we want and need will be quality and plentiful in the 2nd round. RBs, OT, IOL, DL

Having 10 plus picks I wouldn't mind even trading up in the 2nd round.

I saw on "Profootballnetwork mock" they had Hill in the 4th rounder to us.

steeler_george
01-03-2021, 12:29 PM
Thanks Shawn.

I always respect the posters who know enough out NCAA players to do this. I appreciate having a heads up on guys to read a bit about.

I don't know about the players, but I like the positions of your round 1, 3, and 4 guys. I love the idea of rebuilding the OL and I think we won't be able to resign JuJu so getting a WR (as always) makes sense to me.

I hate the idea of using another pick on a QB this year. I don't know if there are any fits in the area, but I think it would be nice to take a TE (because I think it's fairly likely we cut our #1 and #2 TEs).

If we extend Ben, I think wasting rookie contract years is a huge waste of the most valuable resource in football.

If we don't extend Ben, I think it's better to be bad for a year to repair the cap.

I think we're bad next year no matter what and we'll have a ton of holes after cutting the roster due to the cap.

I'd rather fill a bunch of those holes and get the cap in better shape before getting a QB. I also don't think that good QBs are likely to last to our second pick (my inner Flippy says that's @ 64). I know that it does happen that good QBs fall, but I think it's even less likely to hit on these guys than on guys that go early in the 1st (and they miss often enough).

I think Colbert doesn't like to spend early draft picks on TEs since they take forever to develop.
I learned it the hard way, breaks my heart every year... ever since we lost Heath!

steeler_george
01-03-2021, 12:33 PM
Ok time to be a smart ass... what no Terps!

Do we need to draft players to get Dino playing time?

NJ-STEELER
01-03-2021, 06:25 PM
https://thedraftnetwork.com/mockDraft/view

very early but figured i give it a go

1. eichenberg OT
passed on najee, creed, trask

2. RB Williams
sermon also there

3. drake johnson C
notes say OG to convert to C

4. Ruckard TE

4 malcolm koonce edge

steeler_george
01-04-2021, 01:03 PM

1. eichenberg OT

2. RB Williams
sermon also there

3. drake johnson C

4. Ruckard TE

4 malcolm koonce edge

Your just as bad as Shawn, but you got me wanting to do one... I'll wait until after superbowl!

That is an excellent mock.. I think we have to go heavy OL, RB, ILB, OLB, DB and restock at WR - Juju gone and most likely Washington the following year.

Northern_Blitz
01-04-2021, 01:14 PM
I think Colbert doesn't like to spend early draft picks on TEs since they take forever to develop.
I learned it the hard way, breaks my heart every year... ever since we lost Heath!

This makes sense when ending Ben's career because the window feels like it has been short for the last few years.

But drafting a TE and having him develop might make more sense with a rebuild on the horizon (maybe as early as next year). Would be nice to have a good TE on the roster when we eventually get a new QB.

Ultimately, we'll have enough holes that we shouldn't have too much trouble finding BPAs at positions of need.

Shawn
01-05-2021, 08:38 AM

1. eichenberg OT

2. RB Williams
sermon also there

3. drake johnson C

4. Ruckard TE

4 malcolm koonce edge If Sermon is available in the second he would be a very interesting pick. I mean he started off with the Buckeyes so poorly. Running tentatively. Then all of a sudden he's running like a beast? I mean that OL is blowing holes I could run through. But, he is also running with authority, speed, power, cut ability. I've never been so indecisive on a talent in my life.

flippy
01-05-2021, 08:43 AM
If Sermon is available in the second he would be a very interesting pick. I mean he started off with the Buckeyes so poorly. Running tentatively. Then all of a sudden he's running like a beast? I mean that OL is blowing holes I could run through. But, he is also running with authority, speed, power, cut ability. I've never been so indecisive on a talent in my life.

I like the few games I've seen of Sermon too, but I wanted to note the top 3 threads when I looked at the board this morning were about the draft and FA. Have we given up on the season? Is this a real indicator that people are more interested in next season than the current playoffs?

Probably doesn't matter, but it jumped out at me.

steeler_george
01-05-2021, 09:41 AM
I like the few games I've seen of Sermon too, but I wanted to note the top 3 threads when I looked at the board this morning were about the draft and FA. Have we given up on the season? Is this a real indicator that people are more interested in next season than the current playoffs?

Flip you are right, but there isn't much to discuss.
The team is status quo as it is going forward, we seen then play as the best team in league and the flip side.
It just depends which team turns up...

Only thing to discuss is Spielen, Feiler, Hadens return, that wrinkle of Dobbs and Radar in the running game, and ILB/OLB depth.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-05-2021, 12:55 PM

As long as these conversations aren't going on in the locker room I'm fine.

steeler_george
01-05-2021, 01:57 PM
As long as these conversations aren't going on in the locker room I'm fine.

I am sure they are especially with their future on line...

Northern_Blitz
01-05-2021, 03:35 PM

FWIW I haven't given up on the season.

I think we've still got a shot after seeing Ben extending plays in Indy.

I do think some of the cap / contract stuff for next season is interesting, so I've been posting on that.

There's a long time between games and it's an opponent we already know a lot about.

Really, I think the biggest unknowns about this game are (i) which Ben shows up and (ii) who else tests positive between now and Sunday night.

NorthCoast
01-07-2021, 09:08 AM
Had a chance to rewatch part of the PIT-CLE game. I have to say DeCastro was getting abused a bunch of times. Him and Okafor really struggled to keep the pocket open on some passes. DD was being bull-rushed right into Rudolph. Amazed he was able to get some of those passes off. On Rudolph's INT, Snell was completely owned by a blitzing LB that allowed pressure.

In some cases Stefanski was rushing six. I wonder if he will be as aggressive this time around? With Ward back, he may feel he can pressure Roethlisberger into a few mistakes.

flippy
01-07-2021, 09:30 AM
FWIW I haven't given up on the season.

I think we've still got a shot after seeing Ben extending plays in Indy.

I do think some of the cap / contract stuff for next season is interesting, so I've been posting on that.

There's a long time between games and it's an opponent we already know a lot about.

Really, I think the biggest unknowns about this game are (i) which Ben shows up and (ii) who else tests positive between now and Sunday night.

I'm with you and think all of this is interesting. I just can't remember a time when offseason talk got so much focus so far ahead of the end of a season and I've wondered why?

It didn't feel like this took center stage until we started losing which is why I tend to think it coincides with losing faith.

flippy
01-07-2021, 09:35 AM
Had a chance to rewatch part of the PIT-CLE game. I have to say DeCastro was getting abused a bunch of times. Him and Okafor really struggled to keep the pocket open on some passes. DD was being bull-rushed right into Rudolph. Amazed he was able to get some of those passes off. On Rudolph's INT, Snell was completely owned by a blitzing LB that allowed pressure.

In some cases Stefanski was rushing six. I wonder if he will be as aggressive this time around? With Ward back, he may feel he can pressure Roethlisberger into a few mistakes.

The one consistent is our line is almost always going backward.

I haven't gone back and watched, but the only guys that stood out to me as making a couple of positive plays on the line were Dotson, JC, and Rader.

I also think James Conner staying healthy for the playoff run might be one of the most important keys for our success because I do not trust Snell at all to pick up a free blitzer.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-07-2021, 10:16 AM
Thanks. Oh it's way too early but I figure I will start reviewing players now to make up for last offseason. And yes we need OL in a bad way.
same... bowl season is my time to start looking and see them play against GOOD competition. i'm close on mine - and surprisingly enough, i've got a G and T in the first 3 rounds.

Northern_Blitz
01-07-2021, 10:24 AM
I'm with you and think all of this is interesting. I just can't remember a time when offseason talk got so much focus so far ahead of the end of a season and I've wondered why?

It didn't feel like this took center stage until we started losing which is why I tend to think it coincides with losing faith.

I do think us sucking for a month makes the question of Ben's (which is the biggest question in the off season) really important.

I can kind of get behind the idea that he wanted to minimize hits after securing a playoff spot. He said in a press conference that he was talking to Tomlin about the importance of home field in this year's playoffs (although I think he clarified later that it was more about competitive balance since some teams can have fans and others can't).

But even if it's the case that he's been playing the rope-a-dope, I'm not sure you can just flip the switch and get back to very good performance.

I think we got a good draw with the Browns.

But we need Ben to play well through the playoffs.

And we probably can't afford a let down from the D in any of the games (or any other injuries).

Northern_Blitz
01-07-2021, 10:25 AM
The one consistent is our line is almost always going backward.

I haven't gone back and watched, but the only guys that stood out to me as making a couple of positive plays on the line were Dotson, JC, and Rader.

I also think James Conner staying healthy for the playoff run might be one of the most important keys for our success because I do not trust Snell at all to pick up a free blitzer.

Sounds like Cam will be going up against a scrub this week. Hoping that he can cause some havoc on the interior to disrupt their running game.

I agree about JC. Not the best back in the league, but the best back on our team. At least in the case where we give up so much penetration.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-07-2021, 02:33 PM
I think we got a good draw with the Browns.
I honestly wondered if that influenced MikeT's decision to sit folks. Not that he was going to intentionally lose, but...

NorthCoast
01-07-2021, 04:04 PM

It didn't feel like this took center stage until we started losing which is why I tend to think it coincides with losing faith.prolly cause most fans know this is the end of an era (for the offense anyway). retool, rebuild, whatever, changes are coming and we need to make sure the Steelers front office gets our picks right :o