PDA

View Full Version : Where has that Benny been.....

steelerkeylargo
12-27-2020, 05:17 PM
The last month?

Steelwolf
12-27-2020, 05:18 PM
The last month?

Everyone is asking that right now lol

Northern_Blitz
12-27-2020, 05:21 PM
Hope he can keep those accurate deep balls coming.

I think we'll still see lots of D like we have over the last month.

Also nice to have a game at regular time. Maybe that's the secret?

Steelwolf
12-27-2020, 05:26 PM
Hope he can keep those accurate deep balls coming.

I think we'll still see lots of D like we have over the last month.

Also nice to have a game at regular time. Maybe that's the secret?

No turnovers helps too

Buzz
12-27-2020, 05:32 PM
The rebound begins ...

steeler_george
12-27-2020, 05:42 PM
I think the OL stepped up, and he was tired of his WR to dropping ****, running wrong routes.

SteelBucks
12-27-2020, 06:13 PM
I think the OL stepped up, and he was tired of his WR to dropping ****, running wrong routes.

OL was awful in the first half but stepped up in the second. Big Ben was in a zone in the 3rd and 4th quarters. OL still needs work but great comeback.

Northern_Blitz
12-27-2020, 06:48 PM
No turnovers helps too

100% agree.

I don't think our O has a big margin for error.

Need to take care of the football.

Since we've now locked up the division, I think it's probably a good thing that we've got a chance to play several playoff teams this close to the finish line.

NorthCoast
12-27-2020, 07:03 PM
100% agree.

I don't think our O has a big margin for error.

Need to take care of the football.

Since we've now locked up the division, I think it's probably a good thing that we've got a chance to play several playoff teams this close to the finish line.

At the very least it showed how much work is needed to get them ready for the postseason.

NorthCoast
12-27-2020, 08:09 PM
Big change when Roethlisberger went hurry up and 5 wide in the 2nd half. Guys started running wide open with no chance for the defense to adjust.
So was Fichnter holding em back in the first half??

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-27-2020, 08:51 PM
Big change when Roethlisberger went hurry up and 5 wide in the 2nd half. Guys started running wide open with no chance for the defense to adjust.
So was Fichnter holding em back in the first half??

Yeah, it also helped that they didn't seem to run the same 8 plays over and over that we've seen every game. I even liked the reverse for two yards because it was something we hadn't seen and therefore something new for the D to keep in the back of their minds.

flippy
12-27-2020, 08:57 PM
Ben was better in the 2nd half, but he’s still floating some balls out there and a couple should have resulted in INTs.

We still need the D to carry us and the one thing Ben still has is his pump fake and he used it a couple times today to make up for his arm. His arm isn’t what it used to be even thought he brought us back.

ikestops85
12-27-2020, 11:25 PM
We got too enamored with that short passing game and it was killing the offense. How can you run or even pass short when the defense has 8 or 9 in the box. The safeties never even gave a second thought to us throwing the ball over their head. Once Ben started throwing some longer balls it opened up the run and the short passing game. Bravo to whomever figured it out but I don't know what took so long. The play by play guys have been talking about it for weeks.

Now, if we can keep it up this team has a chance to go places.

papillon
12-28-2020, 12:02 AM
If it weren't for PI calls, the Steelers wouldn't have scored the points needed to win the game. A couple of iffy PIs saved the day, although Ben did look like Ben in the second half more so than he has in a month. I still think he's on his last legs, mentally.

Pappy

feltdizz
12-28-2020, 10:37 AM
If it weren't for PI calls, the Steelers wouldn't have scored the points needed to win the game. A couple of iffy PIs saved the day, although Ben did look like Ben in the second half more so than he has in a month. I still think he's on his last legs, mentally.

Pappy

I only saw one that was questionable. But thats what happens when you take more shots downfield, sometimes the refs make an iffy call.

I think the slant is Ben’s security blanket right now when it should be the RB on the checkdown. DB’s are all over that slant but the RB seems unchecked on most pass
plays. Ben started using it more in the second half and had success.

Shawn
12-28-2020, 10:53 AM
I'll tell you where I think it has been. I don't think Ben's drop in play has much to do with his age or injury history. I think Ben is prone to bouts of laziness mentally. I think there are bouts of the season where he shows up but just isn't that into it. Ben has always been a guy who plays best with a chip on his shoulder. I think these losses were the best thing that could have happened for the Steelers.

Eich
12-28-2020, 10:58 AM
I'll tell you where I think it has been. I don't think Ben's drop in play has much to do with his age or injury history. I think Ben is prone to bouts of laziness mentally. I think there are bouts of the season where he shows up but just isn't that into it. Ben has always been a guy who plays best with a chip on his shoulder. I think these losses were the best thing that could have happened for the Steelers.

There's definitely a mental aspect to what's going on with Ben. I'm not sure it's laziness. It could be how he feels physically, affecting him mentally. It could be something in his personal life. It could be all the receiver drops. Or a combination of all of the above.

Whatever the case, it was nice to see that he was capable of coming out of it. There's hope of seeing good-Ben in the playoffs!

KYPITTFAN
12-28-2020, 11:07 AM
He was where he has been all season, behind a line that can't pass or run block. If he can't take deep enough drops for longer pass routes because of pass protection you must throw the short stuff. If the line cant block the RB cant scare the defense. Both of these have drawn the defenses up to the line stopping the run and short passes. This coupled with all the dropped passes was a recipe for loss. Bens long ball has been shaky no doubt but he has had zip on the ball. He has pressed it the last few games out of frustration. Ben is fine, it's the O Line that is the problem.

Shawn
12-28-2020, 11:08 AM
There's definitely a mental aspect to what's going on with Ben. I'm not sure it's laziness. It could be how he feels physically, affecting him mentally. It could be something in his personal life. It could be all the receiver drops. Or a combination of all of the above.

Whatever the case, it was nice to see that he was capable of coming out of it. There's hope of seeing good-Ben in the playoffs! Laziness might be poor word usage. More like boredom or complacent. I think Ben needs things to light up his competitive nature especially this late in his career. The losses and a terrible game by him lit his fire.

Northern_Blitz
12-28-2020, 11:21 AM

Pappy

This is true.

Important to keep perspective.

But if he plays like that the whole game, we won't necessarily need a TD every drive (unless it's against KC I guess)

D Rock
12-28-2020, 12:00 PM
I think another contributing factor could be Ben and Fichtner trying too hard to protect Ben and not get him hit. You can't play QB in the NFL and not get hit, and if you play call to avoid those hits, you also avoid success.

I'm wondering if maybe they finally said to hell with that, let's go play ball and let the chips fall where they may??

They may have seen the Browns losing to the Jets and realized the time to strike and lock up the division was at hand. Do that, rest next week, and then go for it all in the playoffs - full playbook, take chances, get hit, but go down swinging if you're going to go down. There's nothing left to lose at this point in the season. If you get hurt, you get hurt trying to win.

feltdizz
12-28-2020, 01:54 PM
He was where he has been all season, behind a line that can't pass or run block. If he can't take deep enough drops for longer pass routes because of pass protection you must throw the short stuff. If the line cant block the RB cant scare the defense. Both of these have drawn the defenses up to the line stopping the run and short passes. This coupled with all the dropped passes was a recipe for loss. Bens long ball has been shaky no doubt but he has had zip on the ball. He has pressed it the last few games out of frustration. Ben is fine, it's the O Line that is the problem.

wait... the OL just magically got better in the second half?

I don’t buy it.

I think Ben just went downfield and the balls were thrown better and the WR’s made plays.

That deep ball to DJ??? Might have gone out of bounds these last few weeks. Something wasn’t right with Ben and it wasn’t the OL.

feltdizz
12-28-2020, 01:57 PM
I think another contributing factor could be Ben and Fichtner trying too hard to protect Ben and not get him hit. You can't play QB in the NFL and not get hit, and if you play call to avoid those hits, you also avoid success.

I'm wondering if maybe they finally said to hell with that, let's go play ball and let the chips fall where they may??

They may have seen the Browns losing to the Jets and realized the time to strike and lock up the division was at hand. Do that, rest next week, and then go for it all in the playoffs - full playbook, take chances, get hit, but go down swinging if you're going to go down. There's nothing left to lose at this point in the season. If you get hurt, you get hurt trying to win.

more likely they saw the Browns in a close game and put their foot on the pedal.

Would’t a loss by Cleveland automatically give us the North?

Maybe they were being lazy and hoped we could back into a division title these last few weeks?

Sly
12-28-2020, 01:58 PM

I don’t buy it.

I think Ben just went downfield and the balls were thrown better and the WR’s made plays.

That deep ball to DJ??? Might have gone out of bounds these last few weeks. Something wasn’t right with Ben and it wasn’t the OL.

How many times was Ben sacked in the 2nd half, despite holding on to the ball longer to complete long passes?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-28-2020, 03:47 PM

Pappy

I like these...let's try some more:

1) If it wasn't for all of the pass interference Indy was committing, Ben would have thrown for 400 yards.

2) If it wasn't for the blatant missed H2H on JuJu's catch/fumble last week, or the horrible missed PI on Claypool late in the fourth, maybe the Steelers beat Cincy and don't have to win against Indy.

The thing is, the Steelers have lost out on many calls this year, and probably benefited on others. Of the PI calls, a couple were obvious and maybe one or two judgment calls. Nothing as bad as the missed non-call to Claypool last week.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-28-2020, 04:50 PM
I was reading something earlier in the week about how because of the quick passing offense, Ben's footwork has not been right, he hasn't been setting his feet. Now, that is fine for an NFL QB who is throwing the ball 5-10 yards. No problem. However, it is not good when you are throwing 50 yards downfield, or even 20 yards with needed zip. It might be okay when you are doing this once or twice, but when you are doing it as much as Ben has been all season, it tends to develop bad habits.

Today I was watching something on NFLN showing the throw down the seam to Claypool. Whoever was talking (I think it might have been Jeremiah, former scout) was mentioning how this is a hard throw for a QB to make, because not only do you need to hit the man accurately, but you have to throw it on a line, which Ben did. He also mentioned that Ben dug his feet in and let it rip, and that he has mostly been an arm thrower this year, but on that throw he used his lower body.

So, to make a long winded point, could it be that much of the problem is that this dink and dunk passing game has let the fundamentals slide, and now they now hopefully realize this? Up until this week a common question on this board was about whether or not Ben could make the throws. After yesterday we know that he can.

It was also nice to see some things that we have been complaining about. The beautiful pump fake that froze the S on the JuJu TD. Waiting to see receivers come open instead of pre-determining where and when to throw, even a couple of times where Ben moved in the pocket to buy some time and space.

Northern_Blitz
12-28-2020, 06:47 PM

I don’t buy it.

For whatever reason, Ben held the ball longer to try to make plays.

Northern_Blitz
12-28-2020, 06:49 PM
I was reading something earlier in the week about how because of the quick passing offense, Ben's footwork has not been right, he hasn't been setting his feet. Now, that is fine for an NFL QB who is throwing the ball 5-10 yards. No problem. However, it is not good when you are throwing 50 yards downfield, or even 20 yards with needed zip. It might be okay when you are doing this once or twice, but when you are doing it as much as Ben has been all season, it tends to develop bad habits.

Today I was watching something on NFLN showing the throw down the seam to Claypool. Whoever was talking (I think it might have been Jeremiah, former scout) was mentioning how this is a hard throw for a QB to make, because not only do you need to hit the man accurately, but you have to throw it on a line, which Ben did. He also mentioned that Ben dug his feet in and let it rip, and that he has mostly been an arm thrower this year, but on that throw he used his lower body.

So, to make a long winded point, could it be that much of the problem is that this dink and dunk passing game has let the fundamentals slide, and now they now hopefully realize this? Up until this week a common question on this board was about whether or not Ben could make the throws. After yesterday we know that he can.

It was also nice to see some things that we have been complaining about. The beautiful pump fake that froze the S on the JuJu TD. Waiting to see receivers come open instead of pre-determining where and when to throw, even a couple of times where Ben moved in the pocket to buy some time and space.

That's interesting.

Could support the idea that knee issues hurt his play over the last month too.