PDA

View Full Version : Watt a waste

whisper
12-23-2020, 02:43 PM
https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/21/pittsburgh-steelers-fullback-derek-watt-salary-cap-nfl-2020

Not the biggest problem on the team, but still a mistake. I'm sure the team thought it would be "cute" to sign a brother of TJ, but "cute" is all it got us; overpaying for a FB who barely sees the field ain't too wise, but it is "cute," as is overpaying/over-relying on Conner, who is a local hero and obviously not worthy of holding the leading RB spot for the team, "cute" story and all.

And how is that RB draft pick from MD/VA working out? Wasn't it "cute" that they over-evaluated a MD/VA school prospect? He can say "hi" to Sean Davis and Edmunds. Where are the guys who claimed McFly would be a better RB than Dobbins?

feltdizz
12-23-2020, 02:52 PM
McFarland has barely seen the field. Its way too early to call it a wasted pick.

Watt was definitely money wasted.

whisper
12-23-2020, 03:23 PM
McFarland has barely seen the field. Its way too early to call it a wasted pick.

Watt was definitely money wasted.

I know it's technically too early to call McFarland a bust, but he's had enough touches to show something, and he hasn't. He'll get more of a chance next year, with Conner being gone. The Steelers relying on Conner to be the lead horse - and not preparing better if/when he failed or got hurt again - was another mistake heading into this season.

Buzz
12-23-2020, 03:35 PM
I questioned the Watt signing from the get-go. Never did make a lot of sense to me.

And no doubt, Steelers have been "below the line" the past couple of years when it comes to RBs. Got to do better.

NorthCoast
12-23-2020, 03:51 PM
I know it's technically too early to call McFarland a bust, but he's had enough touches to show something, and he hasn't. He'll get more of a chance next year, with Conner being gone. The Steelers relying on Conner to be the lead horse - and not preparing better if/when he failed or got hurt again - was another mistake heading into this season.No training camp, no preseason games where a normal rookie would have gotten significant snaps, and yet "he's had enough touches"....smh.

Northern_Blitz
12-23-2020, 04:54 PM
I questioned the Watt signing from the get-go. Never did make a lot of sense to me.

And no doubt, Steelers have been "below the line" the past couple of years when it comes to RBs. Got to do better.

I think it kind of makes sense in that he's a FB and a high quality ST guy. So he can contribute in more than one way.

But he certainly hasn't lived up to the contract.

feltdizz
12-23-2020, 05:03 PM
I know it's technically too early to call McFarland a bust, but he's had enough touches to show something, and he hasn't. He'll get more of a chance next year, with Conner being gone. The Steelers relying on Conner to be the lead horse - and not preparing better if/when he failed or got hurt again - was another mistake heading into this season.

enough touches? LMAO.

28 attempts is enough touches?

hawaiiansteel
12-23-2020, 05:10 PM
enough touches? LMAO.

if it weren't for the fact that McFarland was from Maryland (or Virginia and Pennsylvania) whisper wouldn't have a problem with him.

whisper
12-23-2020, 05:12 PM
No training camp, no preseason games where a normal rookie would have gotten significant snaps, and yet "he's had enough touches"....smh.

Hmmmm, "SMH," really? So, did the other rookie RBs who have produced have training camp and preseason? No? Weird.

- James Robinson
- Jon Taylor
- Edwards-Helaire
- Cam Akers
- JK Dobbins
- D Swift
- Zack Moss

whisper
12-23-2020, 05:14 PM
enough touches? LMAO.

Hey, if you can't manage to break any runs with the 28 touches, you didn't do anything to warrant more touches.

hawaiiansteel
12-23-2020, 05:14 PM
Hmmmm, "SMH," really? So, did the other rookie RBs who have produced have training camp and preseason? No? Weird.

- James Robinson
- Jon Taylor
- Edwards-Helaire
- Cam Akers
- JK Dobbins
- D Swift
- Zack Moss

did any of them get only 28 touches so far this season?

hawaiiansteel
12-23-2020, 05:18 PM
Hey, if you can't manage to break any runs with the 28 touches, you didn't do anything to warrant more touches.

McFarland rushed for 42 yards on only 6 carries against Houston in Week 3, including a 20 yard run.

whisper
12-23-2020, 05:23 PM
I think it kind of makes sense in that he's a FB and a high quality ST guy. So he can contribute in more than one way.

But he certainly hasn't lived up to the contract.

While they hadn’t used a fullback consistently in quite some time, the Steelers still shelled out a 3-year, $9.75 million contract — including a whopping $3.25 million in guarantees and a $1 million signing bonus. A total cash payout of $4.25 million.

For a "special teamer?" Nearly $10 mill, and $3.25 fully guaranteed. But hey, it's "cute" because he is TJ's bro. Never mind no other team would have ponied up and paid this much for him.

hawaiiansteel
03-10-2021, 12:51 PM
Steelers restructure contract of FB Derek Watt

Curt Popejoy
March 10, 2021

The Pittsburgh Steelers continue to make moves to get under the 2021 salary cap. This time it’s fullback Derek Watt, who had his contract restructured. According to NFL reporter Ian Rapoport, it frees up $880,000 in cap space.

Watt was largely unused last season as a blocking back as the Steelers essentially abandoned the run game just over a month into the season. Watt also dealt with an injury that kept him on the sideline for four games.

Watt’s signing was sold as a move to advance the run game but has largely been a Watt brothers publicity stunt. This restructure means Watt will be on the team in 2021, but it remains to be seen if he will impact the offense.

Expect this restructure to be one of many before the start of the new league year on March. 17.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/10/pittsburgh-steelers-restructure-contract-derek-watt-2021-nfl/

Buzz
03-10-2021, 02:08 PM
Maybe he'll be used more on offense if we really commit to strengthening our running game

Joel Buchsbaum
03-10-2021, 02:18 PM
Agreed, a FB we don't even use? As they say we didn't use him properly. There goes 3.8 M in cap space.

If cut we save 2.1M in cap space with not a lot of " Dead money " To keep Hilton? Hmmm...

NorthCoast
03-10-2021, 09:50 PM
It is a strange story with DJW. Somebody thought it was a good idea to sign a FB even though the Steelers rarely used one under Fichnter (his first year as OC they didn't have one). Gotta hope that Canada can figure out a way to get him in the game, otherwise it could go down as one of Colbert's bad FA pick ups.

The Man of Steel
03-10-2021, 10:09 PM
I say cut Derek Watt and bring back Roosevelt Nix for a roll of quarters. At least Nix has a Pro Bowl on his resume.

whatever
03-10-2021, 11:35 PM
I remember some fans claiming signing watt was a great move.
Special teams demon and great running/catching fb.

hawaiiansteel
03-10-2021, 11:54 PM
I remember some fans claiming signing watt was a great move.
Special teams demon and great running/catching fb.

you must be sooooo happy that he hasn't done well so far.

Ghost
03-11-2021, 04:07 PM
I am willing to see what Canada has planned for using a full back. Forget which game, but it was within 5 yards of the endzone and Watt was sitting there wide open, not a guy 5 yards on either side, and it was as if Ben didn't even know he was on the field and threw it away. Hopefully he comes in this season healthy and ready to play on O. Can't blame him for a dumb -a$$ OC who thought throwing to guys 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage was a great play and called it over and over throughout every game.

Oviedo
03-11-2021, 04:12 PM
I am willing to see what Canada has planned for using a full back. Forget which game, but it was within 5 yards of the endzone and Watt was sitting there wide open, not a guy 5 yards on either side, and it was as if Ben didn't even know he was on the field and threw it away. Hopefully he comes in this season healthy and ready to play on O. Can't blame him for a dumb -a$$ OC who thought throwing to guys 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage was a great play and called it over and over throughout every game.

Agree. Ficchtner's gone. Let's see how Watt is with Canada

SteelerMaine83
03-11-2021, 04:15 PM
New year, new OC. Watt is a good player. Not his fault we didn’t use him.

I hope he’s on the field for both FB and H-back/TE snaps this year—maybe 20-25 per game.

Steel Maniac
03-11-2021, 04:34 PM

Crossroads year in and lot of different areas this coming season.

whatever
03-11-2021, 04:48 PM
Don’t you think someone on the coaching staff really wanted watt at FB and lobbied for Colbert to go after him?