PDA

View Full Version : The botched snap

feltdizz
12-22-2020, 01:45 AM
who was at fault?

Talk about a play that summed up the last 3 games.

Buzz
12-22-2020, 01:54 AM
who was at fault?

Looked to me like Ben bears the brunt of the blame for that miscue

Starlifter
12-22-2020, 06:59 AM
He’s barely been under center this year. It showed.

Ernie
12-22-2020, 07:17 AM
who was at fault?

100% on Ben. You've gotta ride the snap and follow with that bottom hand

flippy
12-22-2020, 07:26 AM
What about Decastro? He comes bumbling through on a pull and just punches the ball out of the air.

I think that might have frozen Ben. Had me thinking WTF.

Pouncey has issues with snapping the ball BTW. No idea why?

Ernie
12-22-2020, 08:04 AM
What about Decastro? He comes bumbling through on a pull and just punches the ball out of the air.

The ball was already out.. QB101 fundamentals.. once the ball is snapped.. QB is supposed to bring it to his 3rd hand (body) to secure it. Decastro is irrelevant in terms of being a fumbled snap by Ben. Perhaps Ben could have recovered if not for Decastro though.. but DD was just trying to do his job on that play.

flippy
12-22-2020, 08:10 AM
The ball was already out.. QB101 fundamentals.. once the ball is snapped.. QB is supposed to bring it to his 3rd hand (body) to secure it. Decastro is irrelevant in terms of being a fumbled snap by Ben. Perhaps Ben could have recovered if not for Decastro though.. but DD was just trying to do his job on that play.

DD looked weird on that play. The way he punched the ball out of the air so he could continue on with his assignment just looked goofy.

I would think anyone's natural instinct would be - loose ball, better try to grab it and forget about everything else.

But not DD. He just knocks the ball out of the air and keeps on going.

SidSmythe
12-22-2020, 09:09 AM
DD is focused on blowing up the DE ... not catching a fumbled snap.
He probably didn't see the ball until after he punched it

Eich
12-22-2020, 09:17 AM
I put that all on Ben. The ball hit his hands. A 16 year veteran HOF QB should be able to handle that snap in his sleep.

feltdizz
12-22-2020, 09:26 AM

Decastro isn’t thinking about a botched snap, he’s focused on trying on pulling.

Not sure how you put that on Pouncey but your post in the game thread is probably why I made this post. I couldn’t understand how Pouncey was the issue but the way Ben reacted with the official made it seem like someone else made a mistake.

On replay it looks like Ben was pulling away too early.. might be due to us not running the ball enough these last few weeks. Its like Ben forgot how to play football in that first half.

feltdizz
12-22-2020, 09:27 AM
DD looked weird on that play. The way he punched the ball out of the air so he could continue on with his assignment just looked goofy.

I would think anyone's natural instinct would be - loose ball, better try to grab it and forget about everything else.

But not DD. He just knocks the ball out of the air and keeps on going.

the ball isn’t supposed to be in the air on that play.

flippy
12-22-2020, 10:12 AM
Decastro isn’t thinking about a botched snap, he’s focused on trying on pulling.

Not sure how you put that on Pouncey but your post in the game thread is probably why I made this post. I couldn’t understand how Pouncey was the issue but the way Ben reacted with the official made it seem like someone else made a mistake.

On replay it looks like Ben was pulling away too early.. might be due to us not running the ball enough these last few weeks. Its like Ben forgot how to play football in that first half.

It was a bizarre play for sure. I'll have to go back and watch it. I have no idea if it was on Pouncey or Ben and was generally just calling out the exchange.

I would be interested to know what Ben was saying/thinking during his reaction.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-22-2020, 10:48 AM
it was ben. 100%. He never had his second/bottom hand remotely close to pouncey's butt... but, because his top hand was against it, pouncey would never even have known not to snap it. 100% ben.

DD touching the ball is an illustration of how tight the precision is on some of the plays with interior linemen moving

Sly
12-23-2020, 01:12 PM
It was a bizarre play for sure. I'll have to go back and watch it. I have no idea if it was on Pouncey or Ben and was generally just calling out the exchange.

I would be interested to know what Ben was saying/thinking during his reaction.

I can think of only one way that the center would be at fault, and that is if the ball was snapped before the QB was ready. I replayed the fumble several times, and it looked to me that Ben just dropped the ball. I'm beginning to wonder how much pain Ben is playing with. He's a tough guy with an very high pain threshold, but pain can cause loss of concentration.

Northern_Blitz
12-23-2020, 05:00 PM
the ball isn’t supposed to be in the air on that play.

And I'm sure his focus is on his assignment, not on the exchange.