PDA

View Full Version : Draft a QB

Steelhere10
12-21-2020, 10:27 PM
This one is done!!!!!

Steelhere10
12-21-2020, 10:28 PM
It's no his arm strength, he's Mentally cooked!!!

feltdizz
12-21-2020, 10:40 PM
It's no his arm strength, he's Mentally cooked!!!

its his head, his leg, his arm

Ernie
12-21-2020, 10:42 PM
Draft or trade for one. Ben is killing this team.

Steelhere10
12-21-2020, 10:54 PM
All that defense is for nothing.

KYPITTFAN
12-22-2020, 01:02 AM
No doubt Ben played a horrible game but there’s plenty of blame to go around. Defense could of held them to field goals instead of TD’s after the turnovers. O line can’t run or pass block. After Pitt got it to a one score game the defense gave up a 80 yard TD drive. Play calling is crap. Defenses is sitting on the short game pass that also puts them in place to stop the run. Ben is only part of the problem.

SteelBucks
12-22-2020, 01:06 AM
Well it’s a deep QB class. Unfortunately another late round pick nets you another Rudolph.

Go OL. Early and often.

Steel Maniac
12-22-2020, 01:10 AM
Well it’s a deep QB class. Unfortunately another late round pick nets you another Rudolph.

Go OL. Early and often.

Need O-line upgrades desperately.

NorthCoast
12-22-2020, 01:12 AM

Go OL. Early and often.

Drafting a QB and putting him behind that line would be something the Browns would do.

feltdizz
12-22-2020, 01:26 AM
There was a time when I was happy we drafted passing QB’s and stopped going after mobile guys. I think I’m on the fence. If this is our offense for the next few years we need a guy who can run for some first downs.

Northern_Blitz
12-22-2020, 01:27 AM
We won't pick high enough.

The team will probably be bad next year after losing some younger talent.

Extending Ben looks far less certain than it did a month ago. I think cutting is now more likely. I still don't think we can let him play out his contract given the $40+M hit.

Cut him and try to get a QB off the scrap heap. Maybe we get lucky with a failed early pick on the cheap (or roll with MR / Dobbs).

If not, we'll be bad and get a chance to pick pretty early. I think the other AFCN teams will be reasonably good next year so we probably don't do that well and get a good shot at a high pick.

Draft some big uglies this year hoping that the future has at least the potential to run the ball and protect the next guy.

SteelBucks
12-22-2020, 01:29 AM
Drafting a QB and putting him behind that line would be something the Browns would do.

Yep. The Bengals did it and their franchise got a rebuilt knee for Christmas

hawaiiansteel
12-22-2020, 01:37 AM
There was a time when I was happy we drafted passing QB’s and stopped going after mobile guys. I think I’m on the fence. If this is our offense for the next few years we need a guy who can run for some first downs.

the trend in the NFL right now is towards mobile QBs.

Mahomes, Josh Allen, Lamar, Kyler Murray, Deshaun Watson and Russell Wilson all have the ability to keep the chains moving by running.

feltdizz
12-22-2020, 01:43 AM

Mahomes, Josh Allen, Lamar, Kyler Murray, Deshaun Watson and Russell Wilson all have the ability to keep the chains moving by running.

Don’t forget Hurts who made Philly look like a totally different team on Sunday.

Buzz
12-22-2020, 01:59 AM
I think we need to get about 3 upgrades on the OL first

bring a rookie QB into this mess, and we'll get him killed

The Man of Steel
12-22-2020, 06:43 AM

If that’s the case then Josh Dobbs should be our starting QB for the remainder of the season.

Starlifter
12-22-2020, 07:05 AM
With Ben’s cap hit, not sure what the Steelers can do in 2021 but ride him out.

But if they think there is a small window with the current team and the numbers show a way - I’m pretty sure they could get Stafford from Detroit for a nice 3-4 year deal.

But there’s zero chance of that.

Northern_Blitz
12-22-2020, 07:38 AM

But if they think there is a small window with the current team and the numbers show a way - I’m pretty sure they could get Stafford from Detroit for a nice 3-4 year deal.

Something like $41M if he plays out his contract.

$21M if cut (retires too I think?)

Not sure what an extension puts him at. Probably in the $30s?

I think our small window ends at the end of the season. But maybe there's some cap wizardry?

flippy
12-22-2020, 07:52 AM

We can just bench him.

NorthCoast
12-22-2020, 08:48 AM
There was a time when I was happy we drafted passing QB’s and stopped going after mobile guys. I think I’m on the fence. If this is our offense for the next few years we need a guy who can run for his life.fixed that for ya.

NorthCoast
12-22-2020, 08:49 AM

Mahomes, Josh Allen, Lamar, Kyler Murray, Deshaun Watson and Russell Wilson all have the ability to keep the chains moving by running.This. It's what college systems are breeding for the position.

Eich
12-22-2020, 09:34 AM
All young QBs are mobile enough IMO. Young Ben could move around enough to avoid pressure. I don't want a QB who relies too much on his legs. Mahomes is perfect. He's not looking to run. He's looking to throw. And his ability to throw is like nothing I've ever seen. But he can run when necessary.

I was impressed by Markus Mariota the other night. Surprised he's not starting somewhere.

Lamar Jackson is art in motion when he runs. But I'd take a lot of QBs over him if I was building a team and could choose from what's in the league right now.

feltdizz
12-22-2020, 09:35 AM
This. It's what college systems are breeding for the position.

and more NFL teams are changing their playbook to put these guys in a position to succeed.

imagine getting Michael Vick fresh out of college and letting him run offense like in Baltimore or Arizona?

SteelBucks
12-22-2020, 09:36 AM
We can just bench him.

In the salary cap era, you don’t pay a backup QB over $30M for the season.

feltdizz
12-22-2020, 09:37 AM
All young QBs are mobile enough IMO. Young Ben could move around enough to avoid pressure. I don't want a QB who relies too much on his legs. Mahomes is perfect. He's not looking to run. He's looking to throw. And his ability to throw is like nothing I've ever seen. But he can run when necessary.

Lamar Jackson is art in motion when he runs. But I'd take a lot of QBs over him if I was building a team and could choose from what's in the league right now.

but a lot of these QB’s can and will run to keep offenses honest.

these are designed runs, not scrambling or extending plays.

that added wrinkle causes fits for defenses.

Eich
12-22-2020, 09:40 AM
and more NFL teams are changing their playbook to put these guys in a position to succeed.

imagine getting Michael Vick fresh out of college and letting him run offense like in Baltimore or Arizona?

The league goes out of it's way to protect the most valuable position on the field. I'd rather not do the one thing that puts that position in the most danger possible, taking away all the protections the league has put in place.

Vick ran more than enough in Atlanta IMO.

I still believe that rings are going to be won by QBs that make all the throws. Consistently. There will be outliers, like when the Rats won with Dilfer. I don't see run-first QBs winning a lot of rings. Maybe I'll be proven wrong.

feltdizz
12-22-2020, 09:41 AM
In the salary cap era, you don’t pay a backup QB over $30M for the season.

Philly begs to differ.

No way we do it with what we have behind him but I wouldn’t mind seeing Dobbs get a hat and run a few RPO’s around the goal in a slash role.

We need a spark. Something different because right now Ben looks like he is done.

Eich
12-22-2020, 09:42 AM
but a lot of these QB’s can and will run to keep offenses honest.

these are designed runs, not scrambling or extending plays.

that added wrinkle causes fits for defenses.

No question. A QB that CAN run, gives defenses fits. And they have to game plan for it. But Steve Young COULD run. And ran enough. That's the formula for success IMO. Not changing your whole offense to cater to a QB who's primary strength is running. The primary strength should be passing. The ability to run is the icing on the cake. And IMO, most young QBs can run well enough. Just looks at what no-name did to our defense last night.

Eich
12-22-2020, 09:44 AM
Philly begs to differ.

No way we do it with what we have behind him but I wouldn’t mind seeing Dobbs get a hat and run a few RPO’s around the goal in a slash role.

We need a spark. Something different because right now Ben looks like he is done.

Last night, I wouldn't have minded seeing Dobbs on the field. But IMO, as soon as Dobbs sees the field, our season is over anyway. He could be good for a spark. But he's not winning anything beyond a scrub team like the Bungles.

SteelBucks
12-22-2020, 09:46 AM
Philly begs to differ.

I live in Philly. They will waive Wentz if they decide to roll with Hurts for this very reason.

Eich
12-22-2020, 09:47 AM
I live in Philly. They will waive Wentz if they decide to roll with Hurts for this very reason.

I wouldn't at all mind bringing in Wentz. He's toast in Philly and desperately needs a change of scenery.

feltdizz
12-22-2020, 09:48 AM
The league goes out of it's way to protect the most valuable position on the field. I'd rather not do the one thing that puts that position in the most danger possible, taking away all the protections the league has put in place.

Vick ran more than enough in Atlanta IMO.

I still believe that rings are going to be won by QBs that make all the throws. Consistently. There will be outliers, like when the Rats won with Dilfer. I don't see run-first QBs winning a lot of rings. Maybe I'll be proven wrong.

its a numbers game. When you have 3 mobile QB’s and 28 pocket passers the numbers will be in the traditional QB’s favor.

However, in say.. 5 years, I think half the league will be mobile QB’s and we will see another Russell Wilson in the SB.

Remember, Trevor Lawrence is who everyone is waiting to see next year and he’s another mobile QB. He had an 80 yard TD run in the college playoffs last year.

feltdizz
12-22-2020, 09:52 AM
I wouldn't at all mind bringing in Wentz. He's toast in Philly and desperately needs a change of scenery.

nope.. I think thats an expensive mistake. Wentz is injury prone and living off that first year hype.

I think watching Foles win a SB screwed his head up.

Eich
12-22-2020, 09:56 AM
We had our running QB who gave defenses fits BEFORE it became such a thing in the NFL. Kordell Stewart. But at crunch time in the playoffs, he couldn't make the throws.

A QB who spends his career in college as a running QB, doesn't have enough passing skills for the NFL. IMO. And in the NFL, I see more of a chance of ending up like RGIII than winning rings.

QBs in super bowls going back to the 90's:

Jim Kelly
Troy Aikman
Steve Young
Troy Aikman
Brett Favre
John Elway
John Elway
Kurt Warner
Trent Dilfer
Tom Brady
Brad Johnson
Tom Brady
Tom Brady
Ben Roethlisberger
Peyton Manning
Eli Manning
Ben Roethlisberger
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Eli Manning
Joe Flacco
Russell Wilson
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Nick Foles
Tom Brady
Patrick Mahomes

None of these are run-FIRST QBs. Mahomes, Wilson, Young ran more than most. But most of these guys could throw consistently. And many are or will be, HOF because of their ability to throw.

I just don't want to build an offense around someone who's primary strength is running, ala, the Rats.

SteelBucks
12-22-2020, 10:07 AM
its a numbers game. When you have 3 mobile QB’s and 28 pocket passers the numbers will be in the traditional QB’s favor.

However, in say.. 5 years, I think half the league will be mobile QB’s and we will see another Russell Wilson in the SB.

Remember, Trevor Lawrence is who everyone is waiting to see next year and he’s another mobile QB. He had an 80 yard TD run in the college playoffs last year.

Can’t we do this the easy way and just rebuild the running game? Yes a QB in the NFL has to have some mobility but I don’t want a QB that takes off at the first sign of trouble. Mahomes doesn’t, Wilson doesn’t...both IMO are pocket passers. They move around in the pocket buying more time before taking off and grabbing some positive yardage.

IDK. Maybe we’re agreeing on the same thing. It’s early and my head still hurts from last night.

feltdizz
12-22-2020, 10:14 AM
We had our running QB who gave defenses fits BEFORE it became such a thing in the NFL. Kordell Stewart. But at crunch time in the playoffs, he couldn't make the throws.

A QB who spends his career in college as a running QB, doesn't have enough passing skills for the NFL. IMO. And in the NFL, I see more of a chance of ending up like RGIII than winning rings.

QBs in super bowls going back to the 90's:

Jim Kelly
Troy Aikman
Steve Young
Troy Aikman
Brett Favre
John Elway
John Elway
Kurt Warner
Trent Dilfer
Tom Brady
Brad Johnson
Tom Brady
Tom Brady
Ben Roethlisberger
Peyton Manning
Eli Manning
Ben Roethlisberger
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Eli Manning
Joe Flacco
Russell Wilson
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Nick Foles
Tom Brady
Patrick Mahomes

None of these are run-FIRST QBs. Mahomes, Wilson, Young ran more than most. But most of these guys could throw consistently. And many are or will be, HOF because of their ability to throw.

I just don't want to build an offense around someone who's primary strength is running, ala, the Rats.

I don’t care who won SB’s the last 20 years. The next 20 are going to be these hybrid QB’s who can run and pass really well.

Why is there this obsession with saying we don’t want a QB who’s primary strength is running? There is only one QB like that in the NFL right now, the rest are good passers who also can run well enough that it is part of their offense.. especially in the RZ.

Okay, Kordell didn’t get us a SB. Guess what? Out of all those other years passing QB’s for the Steelers (besides Ben 2 years) have failed to get us a SB victory.

I think its time to stop looking backwards and start looking forward when it comes to our next QB. The game is changing and we can either continue with someone like Mason Rudolph who looks like a statue or get a guy more like Wilson who can extend plays.

Eich
12-22-2020, 10:19 AM
I don’t care who won SB’s the last 20 years. The next 20 are going to be these hybrid QB’s who can run and pass really well.

Why is there this obsession with saying we don’t want a QB who’s primary strength is running? There is only one QB like that in the NFL right now, the rest are good passers who also can run well enough that it is part of their offense.. especially in the RZ.

Okay, Kordell didn’t get us a SB. Guess what? Out of all those other years passing QB’s for the Steelers (besides Ben 2 years) have failed to get us a SB victory.

I think its time to stop looking backwards and start looking forward when it comes to our next QB. The game is changing and we can either continue with someone like Mason Rudolph who looks like a statue or get a guy more like Wilson who can extend plays.

Look forward all you want. Mason Rudolph just stinks.

I LOVE a QB like Wilson. Maybe we're saying mostly the same thing. My main point is that I don't want to try to build an offense around a QB who's instinct and strength is running. That's NOT Wilson. That's NOT Mahomes. I don't like the Ravens offense. I didn't like the Redskins offense with RGIII. It'll win some games but I think it'll always end up like Kordell Stewart's teams. Maybe I'll be wrong.

To win championships, you need a QB that can consistently make all the throws. And IMO, most YOUNG QBs are mobile enough. Drew Brees is still mobile ENOUGH.

I keep hearing this "the game is changing" phrase. Steve Young says it all the time. But HE was that mobile QB years ago! Of course you want a QB that's not a statue. But there are plenty of QB's who can run for a first down when there's a hole in the defense to run through.

SteelBucks
12-22-2020, 10:24 AM

I LOVE a QB like Wilson. Maybe we're saying mostly the same thing. My main point is that I don't want to try to build an offense around a QB who's instinct and strength is running. That's NOT Wilson. That's NOT Mahomes. I don't like the Ravens offense. I didn't like the Redskins offense with RGIII. It'll win some games but I think it'll always end up like Kordell Stewart's teams. Maybe I'll be wrong.

To win championships, you need a QB that can consistently make all the throws. And IMO, most YOUNG QBs are mobile enough. Drew Brees is still mobile ENOUGH.

I keep hearing this "the game is changing" phrase. Steve Young says it all the time. But HE was that mobile QB years ago! Of course you want a QB that's not a statue. But there are plenty of QB's who can run for a first down when there's a hole in the defense to run through.

Absolutely this!

feltdizz
12-22-2020, 10:26 AM

Brees isn’t mobile enough and his arm is noodling like Ben’s on those deep passes.

We are saying the same thing. I’m just not sure why you guys keep bringing up LJ when having this discussion. He’s the only one who isn’t good at passing the ball but he’s always used as the example when you have guys like Murray slinging it all over the field and also running the ball.

If you watch college ball you will see most
of these highly rated QB’s aren’t traditional pocket passers. They are also part of the running game.

Trust me, we are saying the same thing. I have never said I want a QB who struggles to pass the ball.

Steelhere10
12-22-2020, 10:58 AM
Force Ben to retire, or take a pay cut. If both are unsuccessful then cut him and go get Dak on a prove it deal. I don't think his stock will be that far up, coming off a injury like that. Please NO TO WENTZ,DOBBS, MASON, KAP AND FITZPATTY...

Chucktownsteeler
12-22-2020, 11:01 AM
Probably the toughest position to draft out of college is QB. With that said you will need a season or 2 at a 10 plus losing game to even sniff one, then it's a crap shoot. As good as Trevor Lawrence is there is no guarantee that will translate to the pros. Also, the game is changing to a more mobile style QB, but we know the NFL is a copy-cat league. That style may change in the future as they become more prevalent and defenses catch up to this style of play.

SteelBucks
12-22-2020, 11:07 AM
Force Ben to retire, or take a pay cut. If both are unsuccessful then cut him and go get Dak on a prove it deal. I don't think his stock will be that far up, coming off a injury like that. Please NO TO WENTZ,DOBBS, MASON, KAP AND FITZPATTY...

You realize it’s still a large cap hit if he retires?

Chucktownsteeler
12-22-2020, 11:08 AM

That there is but I hate to see great players stay to long and end up embarrassing themselves. We may have already won our last game of the season.

Steelhere10
12-22-2020, 11:13 AM

Yep I do, but you can't keep pushing the decision down the road. The question that you have to ask yourself. Do you want The position cap taken 41 million with a Qb that appears to be done or with a Qb near the top of his game before an injury.

SteelBucks
12-22-2020, 11:14 AM
That there is but I hate to see great players stay to long and end up embarrassing themselves. We may have already won our last game of the season.

Agree. Bradshaw stayed too long and it was painful to watch.

The organization needs a long term plan because the next QB is not currently on the roster. I can’t go through another post-Bradshaw era of QBs....decades of futility.

Chucktownsteeler
12-22-2020, 11:14 AM
Yep I do, but you can't keep pushing the decision down the road. The question that you have to ask yourself. Do you want The position cap taken 41 million with a Qb that appears to be done or with a Qb near the top of his game before an injury.

I would agree, the question is do we keep a QB at best with 1 or 2 years left or cut him and try to sign some of the younger core group of this team.

Northern_Blitz
12-22-2020, 11:22 AM
nope.. I think thats an expensive mistake. Wentz is injury prone and living off that first year hype.

I think watching Foles win a SB screwed his head up.

The Wentz talk isn't realistic whether it would be a mistake or not.

It would cripple PHIs cap and we don't have the room anyway.

I don't think they're us a quick fix for next year (Unless Mason is suddenly good under a new OC in an O that's designed for him?).

I'd probably try to cut as much salary as I could to keep youngish guys that make an impact.

I don't see how we extend Ben unless he has a miraculous turn around.

And we won't have cap space, so it's probably MR or a guy of the scrap heap for super cheap.

Northern_Blitz
12-22-2020, 11:26 AM

21m cap hit if cut /retires.

41m if he plays out his contract.

It can't be the latter.

And I don't think we can extend him given his current level of play.

Cut might end up being the best of bad options.

Steelhere10
12-22-2020, 11:41 AM
I would agree, the question is do we keep a QB at best with 1 or 2 years left or cut him and try to sign some of the younger core group of this team.

Would be my choice. I would lock off Sutton, Minka and Tj. I want Bud, but you have to let him walk.. I would let AV walk and cut one of the two between Pouncy and Decastro.

feltdizz
12-22-2020, 11:46 AM
21m cap hit if cut /retires.

41m if he plays out his contract.

It can't be the latter.

And I don't think we can extend him given his current level of play.

Cut might end up being the best of bad options.

we’ve had this convo over cap space before when it comes to franchise QB’s.

People said this is why we paid Ben the big bucks earlier in the year.. with all these injuries and his recent play, its also why most QB’s with huge cap hits haven’t won SB’s recently.

People always said we would be handicapped if we paid Bell 14 mill per year.

but $35 mill was just fine and $40 mill surely doesn’t impact our cap?

its time to make some tough decisions.

JIMBO
12-22-2020, 11:57 AM
I can't believe that the front office would go with Ben for another year. Clearly, he is finished ! Same goes for AV, Pouncey and DeCastro so we might as well bite the cap space bullet and start all over.

Northern_Blitz
12-22-2020, 12:04 PM
we’ve had this convo over cap space before when it comes to franchise QB’s.

People said this is why we paid Ben the big bucks earlier in the year.. with all these injuries and his recent play, its also why most QB’s with huge cap hits haven’t won SB’s recently.

People always said we would be handicapped if we paid Bell 14 mill per year.

but $35 mill was just fine and $40 mill surely doesn’t impact our cap?

its time to make some tough decisions.

There's a huge difference in replacement level play at QB and RB.

And we have this Albatros of a cap hit from kicking it down the road so long. You don't really have that option with RBs because their careers aren't long enough.

I was firmly on the extend Ben train until 4 weeks ago.

Thought maybe we could think about what cutting him would look like 2 weeks ago.

And now I'm not sure how we can honestly think he'll give us 2 good years. Like with Cam, I b think the extension has to be something like 3 years to make much difference. That means 4 more years (because he's under contract next year). Does anyone think he'll be an NFL QB in 2 years? 3?

I think cut is 5he only think that makes sense.

I'd also think about playing Mason in at least 1 of the remaining games. It's the only potential quick fix left I think, even though I think it has little to no chance of working.

feltdizz
12-22-2020, 12:14 PM
There's a huge difference in replacement level play at QB and RB.

And we have this Albatros of a cap hit from kicking it down the road so long. You don't really have that option with RBs because their careers aren't long enough.

I was firmly on the extend Ben train until 4 weeks ago.

Thought maybe we could think about what cutting him would look like 2 weeks ago.

And now I'm not sure how we can honestly think he'll give us 2 good years. Like with Cam, I b think the extension has to be something like 3 years to make much difference. That means 4 more years (because he's under contract next year). Does anyone think he'll be an NFL QB in 2 years? 3?

I think cut is 5he only think that makes sense.

I'd also think about playing Mason in at least 1 of the remaining games. It's the only potential quick fix left I think, even though I think it has little to no chance of working.

There is no way we go with Mason unless its to rest Ben for the playoffs.

I know our QB play will slip without Ben but we also thought the conservative offense was strictly to protect Duck and Mason last year.

Now we see we could have a lot of QB’s much cheaper running this offense better than Ben right now. He can’t make the intermediate throws and he can’t extend plays like he used to. We relied on veteran leadership but I’m tired of hearing about Ben resting on Wednesday’s and Thursdays when our offense sucks.

We need younger energy and I’m sorry but Mason is a stiff who won’t move. Its time to blow it up. Can’t believe I’m actually saying this about an 11 win team but that last game after a full week of practice is proof Ben doesn’t have it anymore.

Eich
12-22-2020, 12:48 PM
We need younger energy and I’m sorry but Mason is a stiff who won’t move. Its time to blow it up. Can’t believe I’m actually saying this about an 11 win team but that last game after a full week of practice is proof Ben doesn’t have it anymore.

Agree.

Ben doesn't have it anymore. He'll throw a few decent passes here and there but his limitations are figured out and he can't do anything special anymore.
Mason isn't the answer. Duck isn't the answer. Dobbs isn't the answer.

And

Pouncey doesn't have it anymore. Decastro doesn't have it anymore. It's absurd they made the pro bowl.

AV doesn't have it anymore.

I'm on board with blowing up the offense. Defense is mostly good-to-great, once healthy.

How Brady is still going strong is beyond me. Can't some team pound him into retirement already?

What a depressing end to a 11-0 start.

Mr.wizard
12-22-2020, 12:52 PM

You are not getting Dak on a prove it deal, especially when the Cowboys are going to pay him big money. Your best bet is to go get Wentz who is actually more talented then Dak, IMHO.

Mr.wizard
12-22-2020, 12:55 PM
Agree.

Ben doesn't have it anymore. He'll throw a few decent passes here and there but his limitations are figured out and he can't do anything special anymore.

And

Pouncey doesn't have it anymore. Decastro doesn't have it anymore. It's absurd they made the pro bowl.

I'm on board with blowing up the offense. Defense is mostly good-to-great, once healthy.

How Brady is still going strong is beyond me. Can't some team pound him into retirement already?

AV is awful, he looked completely overmatched last night.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-22-2020, 01:14 PM
i think it's funny how many of y'all didn't want a QB until the last 2-3 weeks. it's not like Ben is 25...

SteelBucks
12-22-2020, 01:36 PM
i think it's funny how many of y'all didn't want a QB until the last 2-3 weeks. it's not like Ben is 25...

We didn’t want our current options at QB. At least Ben gave us a chance.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-22-2020, 01:54 PM
We didn’t want our current options at QB. At least Ben gave us a chance.
i mean in the draft. Only in the last 2-3 weeks are people actually saying, "draft a QB". We prove last year that our current options behind Ben suck. And at this point, it seems that annually, there are 3-5 productive QBs coming out. They seem much more prepared the last few years than ever.
Are they all world-beaters? No.
Are a number of them better than our backup options? Yup.
Hell, this team woulda beat the Bengals with Carson Wentz last night.

2020- Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Hurts
2019 - Kyler Murrary, Daniel Jones, Haskins, Lock, Gardner Minshew, Finley
2018 - Baker, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Sam Darnold
2017 - Mahommes, Deshaun Watson, Tribusky
2016 - Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Dak Prescott

I'm no scout, so i can't say which QB will be the guy - Dak was a 4th rounder and went after Paxton Lynch. That's up to the team and scouts to figure out.

This past year, I saw many projections with Jacob Eason going in the 2nd. By the time he got to the 4th, i was cussing the team for not drafting him. Don't get me wrong, i like our rookies. But, a guy with a cannon, who is slow to read - sounds like #7....

feltdizz
12-22-2020, 02:11 PM
Agree.

And

Brady isn’t actually going strong this year. He’s had stretches like Ben’s last 3 games but they were earlier in the season.

Brady has a bunch of playmakers though so its much easier for him.

AB, Evans, Gronk, RoJo.. its damn near unfair and he still struggled earlier this season.

AB had the game winner last week but they were also down 17 vs Atlanta. Any other team and the Bucs probably lose but Atlanta is known for meltdowns.

NJ-STEELER
12-22-2020, 02:13 PM
do we trust the staff on actually developing a QB even if they choose the the right guy?

mason 74 overall with a "1st round grade" by some in the organization.
likely he never makes an impact

dobbs 135th overall
landry 115
dixon 156
omar jacobs (1 year vet)

has any of these guys made more then a play or 2. on any team??

Northern_Blitz
12-22-2020, 02:21 PM
You are not getting Dak on a prove it deal, especially when the Cowboys are going to pay him big money. Your best bet is to go get Wentz who is actually more talented then Dak, IMHO.

Wentz won't get cut and his cap hit is too high in trade.

I think we should shed as much old cap space as we can, try to keep young guys, suck next year with Mason or the equivalent of Fitz magic and hopefully be in the running to draft a QB after next season.

Chucktownsteeler
12-22-2020, 02:24 PM
Wentz won't get cut and his cap hit is too high in trade.

I think we should shed as much old cap space as we can, try to keep young guys, suck next year with Mason or the equivalent of Fitz magic and hopefully be in the running to draft a QB after next season.

I couldn't agree more. Try to sign as many of the younger FAs as possible in lieu of keeping a QB that has 1 year left or so. We are going to need to have a poor record anyway to even sniff a franchise QB and even then it's a crap shoot. I'd try my best to keep DuPree and Hilton. I'd cut Ben, Pouncey, DD, and perhaps Haden. Ebron and McDonald could be shown the door as well.

Northern_Blitz
12-22-2020, 02:25 PM
i mean in the draft. Only in the last 2-3 weeks are people actually saying, "draft a QB". We prove last year that our current options behind Ben suck. And at this point, it seems that annually, there are 3-5 productive QBs coming out. They seem much more prepared the last few years than ever.

I'm no scout, so i can't say which QB will be the guy - Dak was a 4th rounder and went after Paxton Lynch. That's up to the team and scouts to figure out.

This past year, I saw many projections with Jacob Eason going in the 2nd. By the time he got to the 4th, i was cussing the team for not drafting him. Don't get me wrong, i like our rookies. But, a guy with a cannon, who is slow to read - sounds like #7....

We'll have lots of holes to fill and a 4th round QB will probably be another MR or worse.

I think it's better to suck and have a chance to draft a franchise.

feltdizz
12-22-2020, 02:25 PM

I wanted Hurts.. thought he would be a good fit and could extend plays with his arm. He really showed growth at Oklahoma and his game vs Arizona last week was fun to watch.

I have to add, I’m not aure what people see in Wentz. He looked horrible this year. He was making those “WTF Ben” type passes the last few games before he was benched. Just trying to play hero ball instead of making the correct read.

I watched Dak in college and I damn sure would’ve skipped over him if I was the GM. He rarely showed the poise he has in the NFL in college but maybe its because Miss State didn’t have the talent around him.

Deshaun Watson was a prime example of GM’s just being ignorant and short sighted. That dude balled out vs Bama in 2 consecutive championship games. Passed for 850 yards, 7 TD’s, 1 INT and ran for 100+ and another TD and didn’t go in the top 5.

but anyway, a few posters have suggested it was tome to move on from Ben due to age and cap hit. We also had people who thought Mason could be the future. but he let us know he isn’t that guy last year.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-22-2020, 02:27 PM
do we trust the staff on actually developing a QB even if they choose the the right guy?

mason 74 overall with a "1st round grade" by some in the organization.
likely he never makes an impact

dobbs 135th overall
landry 115
dixon 156
omar jacobs (1 year vet)

has any of these guys made more then a play or 2. on any team??
you're taking about 4th and 5th rounders. Mason was the only one even taken in the 3rd. ONE 3rd rounder in 17 years? They aren't even trying.

The philosophy was, "we have Batch/Gradkowski/Vick/Leftwich. We'll take a gamble on a rookie and hope he develops into a backup".

Those were NOT attempts to replace Ben. NOW, they need to be looking. Should have this past draft when we saw how crappy the backups are. As excited as I am about Claypool, I wouldn't have batted an eye at them taking Jalen Hurts instead.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-22-2020, 02:27 PM

Same cap hit if you cut him. $22M, save $19M.

feltdizz
12-22-2020, 02:29 PM
I couldn't agree more. Try to sign as many of the younger FAs as possible in lieu of keeping a QB that has 1 year left or so. We are going to need to have a poor record anyway to even sniff a franchise QB and even then it's a crap shoot. I'd try my best to keep DuPree and Hilton. I'd cut Ben, Pouncey, DD, and perhaps Haden. Ebron and McDonald could be shown the door as well.

yeah. Haden os the only one I would give another year to right now.

Not sure if Decastro is done or playing injured.

Pouncey, Ben, Vance and it really depends on Ebron’s cap hit. He isn’t as bad as some suggest.

Chucktownsteeler
12-22-2020, 02:31 PM
I

but anyway, a few posters have suggested it was tome to move on from Ben due to age and cap hit. We also had people who thought Mason could be the future. but he let us know he isn’t that guy last year.

Like I've said before I have no allegiance to MR or the Duck for that matter. But I'm not going to judge them on last season when we were picking up skill players from other teams practice squad roster. MR didn't look bad before he was cheap shotted by the Rats, but his style of play is more the deep ball than this dink, dank, dunk sh!t we play now. He doesn't fit our system.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-22-2020, 02:33 PM
I wanted Hurts.. thought he would be a good fit and could extend plays with his arm. He really showed growth at Oklahoma and his game vs Arizona last week was fun to watch.

I have to add, I’m not aure what people see in Wentz. He looked horrible this year. He was making those “WTF Ben” type passes the last few games before he was benched. Just trying to play hero ball instead of making the correct read.

I watched Dak in college and I damn sure would’ve skipped over him if I was the GM. He rarely showed the poise he has in the NFL in college but maybe its because Miss State didn’t have the talent around him.

Deshaun Watson was a prime example of GM’s just being ignorant and short sighted. That dude balled out vs Bama in 2 consecutive championship games. Passed for 850 yards, 7 TD’s, 1 INT and ran for 100+ and another TD and didn’t go in the top 5.

agree 100%. Hurts would have been the sensible choice. And Mason, he aint it.
Wentz, the fascination is that 2 seasons ago, he was en route to an MVP type of season and someone else put the bow tie on wha is believed to be *his* super bowl.

Basically, you know he has the talent, you wonder if it's something causing bad reads.

The Man of Steel
12-22-2020, 02:36 PM
He doesn't fit our system.
What system do you speak of because it doesn’t appear to me that our offense is based on any kind of a particular system or scheme.

NJ-STEELER
12-22-2020, 02:37 PM
you're taking about 4th and 5th rounders. Mason was the only one even taken in the 3rd. ONE 3rd rounder in 17 years? They aren't even trying.

The philosophy was, "we have Batch/Gradkowski/Vick/Leftwich. We'll take a gamble on a rookie and hope he develops into a backup".

Those were NOT attempts to replace Ben. NOW, they need to be looking. Should have this past draft when we saw how crappy the backups are. As excited as I am about Claypool, I wouldn't have batted an eye at them taking Jalen Hurts instead.

I wasn't looking at them as replacing ben, I was looking for someone who can possibly come in, develop and fill in for a game or 2 or 3
you know, like back up on other teams do. like um, last night

except for mason. with their "1st round grade" statement, they sure were looking to groom a future starting qb

flippy
12-22-2020, 02:39 PM
Like I've said before I have no allegiance to MR or the Duck for that matter. But I'm not going to judge them on last season when we were picking up skill players from other teams practice squad roster. MR didn't look bad before he was cheap shotted by the Rats, but his style of play is more the deep ball than this dink, dank, dunk sh!t we play now. He doesn't fit our system.

The QB from last year that fits what we're trying to do with Ben is Duck.

His draw back was he just doesn't have a strong arm. He really had to anticipate to even push the ball 30-40 yards down field. But this go round, he'd have some extra weapons that he didn't have last year. I think Duck could have gotten this year's team to the playoffs and maybe even won a game. I completely understand he's not a solution and I get why he's not here.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-22-2020, 02:51 PM
I wasn't looking at them as replacing ben, I was looking for someone who can possibly come in, develop and fill in for a game or 2 or 3
you know, like back up on other teams do. like um, last night
that's my problem. a good front office doesn't wait until it's broken to fix it. you go from Favre to Rodgers. Or Manning to Luck (which turned out to be bad luck there).

except for mason. with their "1st round grade" statement, they sure were looking to groom a future starting qb
they were HOPING for that.
But, if they really FELT like he's a future starter, they wouldn't have taken him after 2 other picks. That they took James Washington first (who I can't imagine they had a 1st round grade on) only further proves that.
Taking him in the 3rd is more of a, "based on our grade, it's just too good a bargain to pass up at this point".

Chucktownsteeler
12-22-2020, 02:54 PM
What system do you speak of because it doesn’t appear to me that our offense is based on any kind of a particular system or scheme.

This putrid dink, dank, dunk system. MR doesn't fit it. His success at Oklahoma State was more a deep ball threat. If they keep dink, dank, dunk stay with the Duck until you draft Ben's replacement. This system sucks.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-22-2020, 02:56 PM
This putrid dink, dank, dunk system. MR doesn't fit it. His success at Oklahoma State was more a deep ball threat. If they keep dink, dank, dunk stay with the Duck until you draft Ben's replacement. This system sucks.
I'd be curious to see MR try with Claypool and Washington out there... I suspect they'd have more success than what Ben's giving this year.

feltdizz
12-22-2020, 02:58 PM
The QB from last year that fits what we're trying to do with Ben is Duck.

His draw back was he just doesn't have a strong arm. He really had to anticipate to even push the ball 30-40 yards down field. But this go round, he'd have some extra weapons that he didn't have last year. I think Duck could have gotten this year's team to the playoffs and maybe even won a game. I completely understand he's not a solution and I get why he's not here.

smh.. no, Duck wouldn’t have got us 11 straight wins or a playoff birth.

The only reason we are in the playoffs is our defense and its not the same defense anymore without Bush and Dupree.

I used to enjoy watching our D make plays and create short fields and the thrill is gone. That D isn’t coming back this year unfortunately.

feltdizz
12-22-2020, 03:02 PM

unless MR gets to bring those crappy Big 12 defenses to throw deep against its not happening for him in the NFL.

WVU had a really good QB who ended up going to the Panthers. He can’t even see the field because the game is too fast for him.

Some guys have it, most guys in the Big 12 don’t. I’m actually surprised how well Mahomes is playing because usually Tech QB’s look awful in the NFL.

SteelBucks
12-22-2020, 03:20 PM
Some guys have it, most guys in the Big 12 don’t. I’m actually surprised how well Mahomes is playing because usually Tech QB’s look awful in the NFL.

I guess it’s time to watch some of these meaningless Bowl games. Zach Wilson from BYU plays tonight on ESPN. He’s been compared to a Mahomes type at times.

feltdizz
12-22-2020, 03:29 PM
agree 100%. Hurts would have been the sensible choice. And Mason, he aint it.
Wentz, the fascination is that 2 seasons ago, he was en route to an MVP type of season and someone else put the bow tie on wha is believed to be *his* super bowl.

Basically, you know he has the talent, you wonder if it's something causing bad reads.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Everyone talks like it would’ve been Wentz’s SB to lose. However, remember how well Ben played his first season and how bad he played in the playoffs his first year? Pick 6’s, stiff, nervous as hell and needed the Jets to miss like 3 FG’s to make it to the AFCCG?

The first year in the playoffs is usually baptism by fire. I think Wentz believes that was his SB and he’s playing like he is trying to get back to it on every down.

Maybe a change of scenery revives his career but I damn sure don’t want his contract to see if it works for us.

feltdizz
12-22-2020, 03:32 PM
I guess it’s time to watch some of these meaningless Bowl games. Zach Wilson from BYU plays tonight on ESPN. He’s been compared to a Mahomes type at times.

Thanks for the reminder. These bowl games snuck up on me.

BYU is a gritty team. They did lose to Costal Carolina so I’m not sure if its good QB play or a soft schedule. I watched them destroy Navy in their first game. My brother played for the Naval Academy so I follow them and they were down this year so I’m not sure how good this team is. I’ll check them out tonight.

SteelBucks
12-22-2020, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the reminder. These bowl games snuck up on me.

BYU is a gritty team. They did lose to Costal Carolina so I’m not sure if its good QB play or a soft schedule. I watched them destroy Navy in their first game. My brother played for the Naval Academy so I follow them and they were down this year so I’m not sure how good this team is. I’ll check them out tonight.

Yeah there’s nothing normal about this college season. I’m kind of surprised they’re having as many bowl games as they are.

Wilson is an intriguing prospect. Not big but has a big arm with mobility. Mel Kiper has a mid first round grade on him if he decides to come out early.

Northern_Blitz
12-22-2020, 03:42 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head. Everyone talks like it would’ve been Wentz’s SB to lose. However, remember how well Ben played his first season and how bad he played in the playoffs his first year? Pick 6’s, stiff, nervous as hell and needed the Jets to miss like 3 FG’s to make it to the AFCCG?

The first year in the playoffs is usually baptism by fire. I think Wentz believes that was his SB and he’s playing like he is trying to get back to it on every down.

Maybe a change of scenery revives his career but I damn sure don’t want his contract to see if it works for us.

Maybe after next season.

The numbers on Wentz don't work this off season.

And it's not on our end.

I think Philly takes on $60M in dead space if they cut him this off season ($35M if they keep him).

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/carson-wentz-18950/

It may be somewhat less if it's a trade, but I don't think anyone is taking on that contract for a guy that is rumored to have attitude issues and hasn't been good on the field.

Maybe it could happen after next season, where Philly would "only" have a dead cap hit of ~$25M by cutting Wentz.

His contract was written to make him uncuttable / tradable early early.

It looks like an epic error by the Eagles.

Northern_Blitz
12-22-2020, 03:45 PM
that's my problem. a good front office doesn't wait until it's broken to fix it. you go from Favre to Rodgers. Or Manning to Luck (which turned out to be bad luck there).

Those are examples of teams getting very lucky, not planning.

The Colts tanked to get Luck.

And the Packers were lucky that Rogers fell (just like we were lucky that Ben fell to us).

Re: Mason.

The "1st Round Grade" thing is something our team says to help rookies feel better when they get drafter lower than they expected. I don't think it's a reflection of how they honestly evaluate talent.

Northern_Blitz
12-22-2020, 03:46 PM
I'd be curious to see MR try with Claypool and Washington out there... I suspect they'd have more success than what Ben's giving this year.

Can it really be worse at this point? At least from a W / L perspective?

I want him to play in at least one of these games to see if he can provide a spark.

But I don't think it will happen because Ben's earned the right not to get benched for a bad option at QB.

Northern_Blitz
12-22-2020, 03:49 PM
Same cap hit if you cut him. $22M, save $19M.

I tried to make a thread about our cap situation in the link below.

http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50675-Salary-Cap-for-next-year

Not sure that the info is correct, but it might give a bit of a picture of what's going to happen next year (hint: it's probably bleak).

SteelerOfDeVille
12-22-2020, 04:04 PM

And the Packers were lucky that Rogers fell (just like we were lucky that Ben fell to us).

The "1st Round Grade" thing is something our team says to help rookies feel better when they get drafter lower than they expected. I don't think it's a reflection of how they honestly evaluate talent.
Manning got hurt and that's why the colts got Luck.

Rodgers, meh... the Packers selected a 1st round QB in 2020... some front offices are more proactive than others. Think of how many solid backups the Patriots have drafted, then traded during Brady's tenure.

Whether it be planning or lucky, there's often a QB available at the end of the first that is solid. Whether it's Rodgers or Jalen Hurts or Lamar Jackson or Jimmy Garrapolo or Teddy Bridgewater.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-22-2020, 04:04 PM
I'd cut Ben, Pouncey, DD, and perhaps Haden. Ebron and McDonald could be shown the door as well.

You got my list.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-22-2020, 04:18 PM

Not a real fair example. Both Rodgers and Luck were first overall picks that the teams got for finishing in that position, without trading up. The Steelers haven't been even close to a sure fire top 5. The last time they even picked in the top 10 was in 2000, four years before they drafted Ben at 11. In order to move up 10 picks it cost a second and a future third.

I can assure you that if the Steelers suddenly were gifted the #1 pick this year, last year, or the previous year, the pick would be Trevor Laurence, Joe Burrow, or one of the QBs ahead of Mason - Darnold, Mayfield, Allen etc.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-22-2020, 04:27 PM
Not a real fair example. Both Rodgers and Luck were first overall picks that the teams got for finishing in that position, without trading up. The Steelers haven't been even close to a sure fire top 5. The last time they even picked in the top 10 was in 2000, four years before they drafted Ben at 11. In order to move up 10 picks it cost a second and a future third.

I can assure you that if the Steelers suddenly were gifted the #1 pick this year, last year, or the previous year, the pick would be Trevor Laurence, Joe Burrow, or one of the QBs ahead of Mason - Darnold, Mayfield, Allen etc.
Bullcrap. Aaron Rodgers was selected in the mid-20's somewhere. I can assure you we've selected in the mid-20's a number of times.

but, that's exactly the point i'm making... to quote me:

Whether it be planning or lucky, there's often a QB available at the end of the first that is solid. Whether it's Rodgers or Jalen Hurts or Lamar Jackson or Jimmy Garrapolo or Teddy Bridgewater.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-22-2020, 04:46 PM
Bullcrap. Aaron Rodgers was selected in the mid-20's somewhere. I can assure you we've selected in the mid-20's a number of times.

LOL my forgetfulness. I mixed him up with Alex Smith. After Smith went at #1, Rodgers fell like a rock and was still shockingly available at 24 as the second QB selected. an unusual drop for the second rated QB.

Northern_Blitz
12-22-2020, 04:49 PM
Manning got hurt and that's why the colts got Luck.

Rodgers, meh... the Packers selected a 1st round QB in 2020... some front offices are more proactive than others. Think of how many solid backups the Patriots have drafted, then traded during Brady's tenure.

And when Manning went down, the Colts were trying to lose so they'd be able to get a replacement. You might see that here next season.

And I agree that the Packers were thinking about the future with Rogers. But very few QBs in the bottom 25% of the draft go on to have a career like his (hell very few QBs ever go on to have a career like his). Using AR as an example is kind of like saying you might as well wait till the 6th because that's where Brady went. The chances of getting a viable NFL starter at QB are almost always low, but I bet they fall off pretty hard after the top 10 or so.

You need to get lucky with QBs even in the best of cases (ask the Browns). And maybe we would have gotten lucky if we took J Hurts.

But I was strongly in favor of going all out for this year because I think there's a cliff coming next season and we should have a shot at a good QB soon.

I didn't think Ben would be this bad...and it's so crazy because he wasn't for the first half of the season.

NorthCoast
12-22-2020, 05:54 PM
And when Manning went down, the Colts were trying to lose so they'd be able to get a replacement. You might see that here next season.

And I agree that the Packers were thinking about the future with Rogers. But very few QBs in the bottom 25% of the draft go on to have a career like his (hell very few QBs ever go on to have a career like his). Using AR as an example is kind of like saying you might as well wait till the 6th because that's where Brady went. The chances of getting a viable NFL starter at QB are almost always low, but I bet they fall off pretty hard after the top 10 or so.

You need to get lucky with QBs even in the best of cases (ask the Browns). And maybe we would have gotten lucky if we took J Hurts.

But I was strongly in favor of going all out for this year because I think there's a cliff coming next season and we should have a shot at a good QB soon.

I didn't think Ben would be this bad...and it's so crazy because he wasn't for the first half of the season.100%.. all about the probabilities, and they ain't good for finding a franchise QB out of the top 10 picks. But a team could increase it's chances to be competitive if they surround a middling QB with uber talent. Unfortunately, I think these days of free agency make that a tough way to build a consistent winner. Too many taleneted pieces will get opportunities elsewhere before finally putting this kind of team together.

would not want to be a GM in the NFL these days...

SteelerOfDeVille
12-22-2020, 06:28 PM

I didn't think Ben would be this bad...and it's so crazy because he wasn't for the first half of the season.
The browns are the worst example. they have had dumb people in their organization. johnny football? Brandon Weeden? hell even Tim Couch was a stupid selection (did you know he made it to the NFL having never used a playbook?)... LMAO

And AGAIN, i say... in the last several years alone, guys available late in the first include Jalen Hurts or Lamar Jackson or Jimmy Garrapolo or Teddy Bridgewater immediately come to mind. There are Dak Prescotts and Russell Wilsons that were more *luck* and selected a little later.

But, QB is no different than any other position - you are going to miss. Think of OLB with the Steelers. Jarvis was a high end bust. We went through a lot of Jason Worilds and Jarvis Jones to get to Bud Dupree - and even he took a few seasons before we he was "ready".

Think of all the failed CB selections before they finally said, "eff it! We're getting people who are already in the league who have made pro bowls."

This organization just doesn't commit to QB like it does other positions (and didn't feel it needed to because it had Ben).

SteelerOfDeVille
12-22-2020, 06:37 PM
100%.. all about the probabilities, and they ain't good for finding a franchise QB out of the top 10 picks. But a team could increase it's chances to be competitive if they surround a middling QB with uber talent. Unfortunately, I think these days of free agency make that a tough way to build a consistent winner. Too many taleneted pieces will get opportunities elsewhere before finally putting this kind of team together.

would not want to be a GM in the NFL these days...
it's the same with pretty much every position. CBs bust. RBs bust.

To this day, we still make fun of Limas Sweed. Throw in Troy Edwards, Sammie Coates, markus wheaton and a handful others who didn't live up to expectations, yet we still think of this team as having a fantastic eye for WR.

you're going to miss sometime... period.

Steel Maniac
12-22-2020, 09:40 PM
I think the first question is if Colbert is going to be the one to find our next legit QB or will he step down before?

hawaiiansteel
12-22-2020, 10:00 PM
I think the first question is if Colbert is going to be the one to find our next legit QB or will he step down before?

do you still want him to trade up for Trevor Lawrence? :roll:

Northern_Blitz
12-22-2020, 10:20 PM
The browns are the worst example. they have had dumb people in their organization. johnny football? Brandon Weeden? hell even Tim Couch was a stupid selection (did you know he made it to the NFL having never used a playbook?)... LMAO

And AGAIN, i say... in the last several years alone, guys available late in the first include Jalen Hurts or Lamar Jackson or Jimmy Garrapolo or Teddy Bridgewater immediately come to mind. There are Dak Prescotts and Russell Wilsons that were more *luck* and selected a little later.

But, QB is no different than any other position - you are going to miss. Think of OLB with the Steelers. Jarvis was a high end bust. We went through a lot of Jason Worilds and Jarvis Jones to get to Bud Dupree - and even he took a few seasons before we he was "ready".

Think of all the failed CB selections before they finally said, "eff it! We're getting people who are already in the league who have made pro bowls."

This organization just doesn't commit to QB like it does other positions (and didn't feel it needed to because it had Ben).

I hope you're right about finding a decent QB because we'll be looking pretty soon.

I think it was the right decision to try to win it all this year and think about the future next year and beyond.

But I didn't want Dobbs or Mason either (because I think we could have done fine with cheap vet backups and use mid round draft picks on higher probability positions at those spots).

Rebuild was starting next year even if Ben didn't decline IMO.

I think it's a mistake to waste rookie contract years of a viable option at QB because it's such a huge advantage.

SteelBucks
12-22-2020, 11:39 PM
Zach Wilson had a nice bowl game. 26/34 for 425 yards. 3 passing TDs and 2 rushing. 0 interceptions.

Probably gone before we pick (assuming he declares for the draft) but throwing it out there. Kiper has him as the 4th best QB and a mid first round grade.

Dude looks like he’s 16 and should be in a boy band. He’s got some serious QB skills though. Strong arm with mobility.

NJ-STEELER
12-23-2020, 01:16 AM

That’s kind of putting extra pressure on the guy though.

Steel Maniac
12-23-2020, 04:24 AM
That’s kind of putting extra pressure on the guy though.

We are quickly approaching a time where we are going to have to really pursue a legit QB.

whisper
12-23-2020, 02:12 PM
We are quickly approaching a time where we are going to have to really pursue a legit QB.

No longer "approaching" the time, we are there. Just hope we don't ignore the QB position as long as we did after Bradshaw.

- Stoudt
- Malone
- Woodley
- Bubby
- O'Donnell
- Tomczak
- Kordell
- Maddox

They did use a 1st round pick on Malone (but it was a whiff, obviously). But they basically ignored the most important position for 20 years, which is why we didn't sniff anymore hardware until Ben showed up.

Sly
12-26-2020, 11:20 AM

A mobile QB can make a mediocre OL look like a great offensive line. Rushing Ben is easy since you know where he's going to be and he's no threat to run. An all out blitz against a QB like Lamar Jackson is more likely to lead to a 20 yd gain than a sack. Also, mobile QBs make playing man to man defense risky. You don't want your back turned to a QB who may be the fastest and most elusive player on the field.

Ben was the prototype of an NFL QB when he was drafted, but times have changed. Having written that, the last chapter to the Steelers season hasn't been written yet. I still think it's possible for Ben to lead the Steelers to wins over the Colts and Browns, and an AFC championship appearance. The Chiefs are better than the Steelers, but anything can happen in one game.

Teams play best when everyone is down on them. It's hard to find any national analysts who think that the Steelers will defeat the Browns and Colts. So in my book that makes the Steelers a sure bet. :)

Steel Maniac
12-26-2020, 11:48 PM
What do you think the dolphins want for Ryan Fitzpatrick?

hawaiiansteel
12-27-2020, 12:13 AM

great thinking, let's replace one 38 year old QB with another one :roll:

besides, he's a free agent next year so why would we give the Dolphins anything for him?

Sly
12-27-2020, 12:53 AM

He's a great backup QB. The history with him is that he will give you 2 or 3 great games, and then suck for a few games. He becomes a turnover machine.

The Man of Steel
12-28-2020, 02:06 PM
Dwayne Haskins is officially on the market.

hawaiiansteel
12-28-2020, 02:10 PM

proof that just because you draft a QB high in the draft doesn't mean he will pan out.

Sly
12-28-2020, 02:14 PM
proof that just because you draft a QB high in the draft doesn't mean he will pan out.

Yep. For every Peyton Manning, there are ten Baker Mayfields.

Steelhere10
12-28-2020, 02:23 PM

No thanks, I smell a Jemarcus Russell. Maybe before the past couple of weeks, but now Big NO.

hawaiiansteel
12-28-2020, 02:41 PM
the history of Ohio St QBs in the pros is not a good one.

feltdizz
12-28-2020, 03:09 PM
the history of Ohio St QBs in the pros is not a good one.

I joked with my Father-In-Law about the last Buckeye QB to have success in the NFL.

We actually couldn’t find one. It might be Troy Smith and he wasn’t that good.

Seeing the way Justin Fields played against Northwestern I’m really curious if he struggles in the playoffs this weekend.

Buckeyes usually have so much talent over the competition these guys just aren’t good fits for the NFL and their tight windows.

Also wondering if these NFL OC’s will finally put these Buckeye QB’s in offenses that play to their strengths vs trying to lake them old school pocket QB’s.

I wouldn’t take Haskins simply because he is an idiot. He gets another shot to show he belongs in the league and he gets covid strippers? He still thinks he is in Columbus.

SteelBucks
12-28-2020, 03:44 PM
I joked with my Father-In-Law about the last Buckeye QB to have success in the NFL.

We actually couldn’t find one. It might be Troy Smith and he wasn’t that good.

Seeing the way Justin Fields played against Northwestern I’m really curious if he struggles in the playoffs this weekend.

Buckeyes usually have so much talent over the competition these guys just aren’t good fits for the NFL and their tight windows.

Also wondering if these NFL OC’s will finally put these Buckeye QB’s in offenses that play to their strengths vs trying to lake them old school pocket QB’s.

I wouldn’t take Haskins simply because he is an idiot. He gets another shot to show he belongs in the league and he gets covid strippers? He still thinks he is in Columbus.

IMO this will change under Ryan Day. They have a few pro-style QBs in the pipeline over the next couple of seasons.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-28-2020, 04:36 PM

LOL, was going to say the same thing.

hawaiiansteel
12-28-2020, 04:37 PM
LOL, was going to say the same thing.

great minds obviously think alike :Cheers

NorthCoast
12-30-2020, 12:50 PM
_____
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=30624287______

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-30-2020, 01:49 PM
great minds obviously think alike :Cheers

Apparently we do too. :p:p

hawaiiansteel
12-30-2020, 02:21 PM
Apparently we do too. :p:p

https://media1.tenor.com/images/b20e0fb9ebc382eb019cb02979454a95/tenor.gif?itemid=14487736

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-30-2020, 02:51 PM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/b20e0fb9ebc382eb019cb02979454a95/tenor.gif?itemid=14487736

LOL. Okay, as long as you're Jim Carrey. I look stupid in orange tuxedos.