PDA

View Full Version : Who Should Start on O and D???

flippy
12-15-2020, 02:25 PM
Thank God the Bengals are up next. I was trying to think thru who might start next week and good grief, we're gonna have a hard time fielding a team even without Covid issues. If anyone else goes down at this point, we might be really fudged.

Some folks are under performing and I think some backups should get elevated. What you got? Here's mine:

Offense

Ben
Conner/Snell, Watt
Juju, Washington
Vance
AV, Dotson/Gray, Pouncey, DD, Chuks/Hawkins

Defense

Cam, Tyson, Tuitt
TJ, VW/Williamson, Highsmith
Haden, Nelson, Minkah, Edmonds/Sutton, Hilton

Have to admit, I had a hard time with our OL. We have almost no options. When I think about this unit, I think we might be on the verge of spiraling.

While I think we're fudged on O, I think we can get creative on D and put more DBs on the field and have them fill in for the gap at LB. Hilton's versatile and I think getting Sutton on the field more is a net positive given how aggressive he plays. I think we could actually run multiple different systems here given some of the talent and that's pretty amazing considering how many key guys are down.

Eich
12-15-2020, 04:14 PM
Thank God the Bengals are up next.

Thank God, yes. At the same time, what if they beat us? That would be demoralizing. Humiliating. It's not outside the realm of possibilities if the O keeps regressing.

Offense

Ben
Conner/Snell, Watt
Juju, Washington
Vance
AV, Dotson/Gray, Pouncey, DD, Chuks/Hawkins

Max protect Ben with a TE and FB+RB. Or 2 TEs. And go from there. 4-5 wides seems useless at this point when we have to throw to the LOS and the defense is up in their faces. In 3 WR, Juju/Wash/Claypool.

hawaiiansteel
12-15-2020, 04:20 PM
Thank God, yes. At the same time, what if they beat us? That would be demoralizing. Humiliating. It's not outside the realm of possibilities if the O keeps regressing.

not gonna happen, we're gonna beat the Bungles easily.

flippy
12-15-2020, 04:21 PM

Max protect Ben with a TE and FB+RB. Or 2 TEs. And go from there. 4-5 wides seems useless at this point when we have to throw to the LOS and the defense is up in their faces. In 3 WR, Juju/Wash/Claypool.

At the rate we're going, Juju and CC might have to slide in and play LT and RT will all our injuries.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-15-2020, 06:11 PM

If the Steelers lose to the Bengals then no worries. After two straight losses, if the Bengals game is a loss then the Pittsburgh Steelers are merely not contenders...... so no worries about prepping for a run.

Steel Maniac
12-15-2020, 06:19 PM
All the teams around the league are suffering through injuries; I can’t use that as an excuse. It’s how you manage them and digging into your practice squad players and possible free agents.

SteelBucks
12-15-2020, 06:32 PM
It’s times like these when I wish we had a Heath Miller or Mark Bruener. Great blocking TEs to help a struggling, injured OL.

Steel Maniac
12-15-2020, 06:34 PM
It’s times like these when I wish we had a Heath Miller or Mark Bruener. Great blocking TEs to help a struggling, injured OL.

Good point ...

BURGH86STEEL
12-15-2020, 07:07 PM
All the teams around the league are suffering through injuries; I can’t use that as an excuse. It’s how you manage them and digging into your practice squad players and possible free agents.
It's not the injuries that are the issue. Teams can survive injuries. It's the depth of the injuries that are the problem for the Steelers. At some point the injuries simply can't be managed. The injuries at LB and OL appear to be at that point. This is luck vs being unlucky.

Oviedo
12-16-2020, 08:33 AM
It's not the injuries that are the issue. Teams can survive injuries. It's the depth of the injuries that are the problem for the Steelers. At some point the injuries simply can't be managed. The injuries at LB and OL appear to be at that point. This is luck vs being unlucky.

On the mark. When position groups start to get devastated like we are at OL and LB then no team has the depth or practice squad to fix that

flippy
12-16-2020, 10:46 AM
On the mark. When position groups start to get devastated like we are at OL and LB then no team has the depth or practice squad to fix that

i was surprised how well Williamson and Allen played. I guess teams have to focus on the other 5 guys in the front 7 so our ILBs should be free to make plays.

Overall not the drop off I expected.

The OL is another story and the problem is the O isn’t going to protect them in any way.

Steel Maniac
12-16-2020, 11:24 AM
Ben is protecting himself and the O-line; By getting rid of the ball as fast as he can for the most part.

But it’s all too predictable now and he needs to go deep and change all the scouting reports on him. It’s that simple now. It’s up to the coaching staff to recognize this and act accordingly.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-16-2020, 11:30 AM
re: injuries. I will admit that playing last week with only 1 of the 4 LBs weirded me out. Plus, the top backup at ILB was out. Having said that they weren't terrible. Literally 4 of our top 5 LBs on a team that plays with 4 LBs...

Offensively, being down to ONLY 5OL at one point also weirded me out.

Additional side commentary below in gray

I *know* why Diontae is starting and I don't see scrapping the guy over a 2-3 bad games - the 1st half benching seemed to fix his problem, at least for that day. But, all in all, he's very AB in his elusiveness and route-running and just gets open - so, he's getting all of ABs old targets. Don't know if he needs new gloves or a pair of glasses, but i'm hoping that the benching solved that problem.

JuJu is probably more Hines than anything else (possession WR with heart and determination). Unfortunately, Claypool and Washington do similar things.
So, when you're going 3-wide, and need a legit slot, it's either Diontae or RayRay... I'm sticking with DJ....

I've said it time and time again at this point, but the biggest problem with this team is the short-passing game. 6 weeks ago, we thought Claypool was gonna be a deep-ball BEAST -- but, when's the last time you saw him catch a deep ball? They're going to need that down the stretch. I don't care if Ben throws a couple of picks. But, ya gotta loosen up the defense. Just 2 or 3 passes downfield per half is all it takes.

Once that happens, Conner will run wild again. The offense will look unstoppable again.

Back on topic...
Ebron came in with a reputation for drops. He might be the only one I'd bench.

Ben, Conner, JuJu, DJ, Claypool, Vance, the best 5 OL you got.

As for the defense, you nailed it above flip...

SteelerOfDeVille
12-16-2020, 11:31 AM
Ben is protecting himself and the O-line; By getting rid of the ball as fast as he can for the most part.

But it’s all too predictable now and he needs to go deep and change all the scouting reports on him. It’s that simple now. It’s up to the coaching staff to recognize this and act accordingly.
and by now, every commentator is saying "he gets rid of the ball in an average of 1.1 seconds" (or whatever time it is)... even if the team HADN'T picked up on it, they broadcasters have told them...

feltdizz
12-16-2020, 11:46 AM
and by now, every commentator is saying "he gets rid of the ball in an average of 1.1 seconds" (or whatever time it is)... even if the team HADN'T picked up on it, they broadcasters have told them...

as much film as teams watch, they damn sure don’t need a commentators help.

Teams are changing their defense and Ben isn’t changing the plays at the LOS.

I’m not going to put more blame on the OC because its Ben’s guy and Ben made sure to tell us he calls most of the plays anyway. Well, its time to call better plays and actually execute them.

Steel Maniac
12-16-2020, 11:57 AM
re: injuries. I will admit that playing last week with only 1 of the 4 LBs weirded me out. Plus, the top backup at ILB was out. Having said that they weren't terrible. Literally 4 of our top 5 LBs on a team that plays with 4 LBs...

Offensively, being down to ONLY 5OL at one point also weirded me out.

Additional side commentary below in gray

I *know* why Diontae is starting and I don't see scrapping the guy over a 2-3 bad games - the 1st half benching seemed to fix his problem, at least for that day. But, all in all, he's very AB in his elusiveness and route-running and just gets open - so, he's getting all of ABs old targets. Don't know if he needs new gloves or a pair of glasses, but i'm hoping that the benching solved that problem.

JuJu is probably more Hines than anything else (possession WR with heart and determination). Unfortunately, Claypool and Washington do similar things.
So, when you're going 3-wide, and need a legit slot, it's either Diontae or RayRay... I'm sticking with DJ....

I've said it time and time again at this point, but the biggest problem with this team is the short-passing game. 6 weeks ago, we thought Claypool was gonna be a deep-ball BEAST -- but, when's the last time you saw him catch a deep ball? They're going to need that down the stretch. I don't care if Ben throws a couple of picks. But, ya gotta loosen up the defense. Just 2 or 3 passes downfield per half is all it takes.

Once that happens, Conner will run wild again. The offense will look unstoppable again.

Back on topic...
Ebron came in with a reputation for drops. He might be the only one I'd bench.

Ben, Conner, JuJu, DJ, Claypool, Vance, the best 5 OL you got.

As for the defense, you nailed it above flip...

What kind of message are you sending if you bench Ebron but not the guy who leads the NFL in dropped passes ( DJ)??

I’d love for DJ to be benched this entire Bengals game. Juju, Claypool and Washington can get it done this week. There’s an opportunity this week to send DJ a hard but clear lesson
( message) about his focus and concentration.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-16-2020, 12:41 PM
I’d love for DJ to be benched this entire Bengals game. Juju, Claypool and Washington can get it done this week. There’s an opportunity this week to send DJ a hard but clear lesson
( message) about his focus and concentration.

I wouldn't bench him for the full game over drops. I reserve that for something that requires an attitude adjustment - missing meetings, getting in off-field trouble, stupid unsportsmanlike conduct penalties on the field that cost the team big. I suggested last week that the team starts on O with Wasington and JuJu at WR, Vance at TE, Watt at FB (not split out, actually at FB) and a running back.

The guys dropping the ball do not start (Ebron and DJ), the rook sees that two guys who like to get their noses dirty are starting at WR, it appears that there is a commitment to run the ball with a FB in the game. It has barely been mentioned, but there was a deep ball to Claypool (I think 2nd Q) that he turned around, jumped but mistimed the jump, and didn't come down with it. The DB was not responsible for the incompletion. This was the type of catch that Claypool made earlier in the year and excelled at in college. It doesn't always take dropping a dime for a deep completion. You throw the ball to CC in single coverage downfield, with the right trajectory, he should have a clear advantage over most.

feltdizz
12-16-2020, 12:51 PM
You don’t bench guys who are trying hard and dropping passes. You sit them for a series or 2 and then see if they respond.

This idea that you can punish a gut into being good is laughable. Just give the kid a chance to gather himself and then give him another chance to redeem himself.

Ebron, who knows.. I think this is who he is and the only defense I have for him is the drop on the low pass. You are asking a lot for a tall TE to dig a ball in the dirt 3 yards downfield. That’s not his game, throw it up high or find another target

BURGH86STEEL
12-16-2020, 01:06 PM

They threw the ball down the field. The huge problem is a lack of consistent execution.

NorthCoast
12-16-2020, 10:50 PM
They threw the ball down the field. The huge problem is a lack of consistent execution.Yep. He's completed about 1 in 4 deep passes this season. In 2018 he completed 1 in 3. Opponents are doing exactly what the Steelers would do. Apply pressure knowing your backend chances are good with minimal cover.