PDA

View Full Version : Alarming Offense

NorthCoast
12-14-2020, 09:58 AM
Some sad facts:

At the end of Oct, PIT was #3 in the NFL in pts/gm; they now sit at #11; in their last 3 gms their average is good for #26.
Their current trend in pts/gm is almost exactly where they ended the season last year (17).
They average 5.8 plays/drive in the last 3 games.
The average TOP per drive in the last 3 games is 2:25
The longest drive in the last 3 games is 6:16
They were top 10 in pts/play but in the last 3 games they are 27th
The longest run in the last 3 games is 13 yds (Snell)
Since the end of Oct, they rank #32 in the NFL in rushing success; 2.9 yds/att

Lots to work on; not much time to get it fixed. It looked like they made an honest attempt at the run game last night so that is something to maybe build on. But I am very concerned with their blocking fundamentals. They pointed it out and I agree, they stand too upright for any power blocking. It might be time for Sarrett to go after this season.

Starlifter
12-14-2020, 10:06 AM
I’ve been saying this for weeks now. The loss of munchak, injuries and development of young players have our O-line in tatters. We can’t effectively run block, pass block only works because of Ben’s quick release, they aren’t imposing or pushing anyone around.

So we don’t sustain drives, we don’t control the clock, we don’t have time to let plays develop, we lose time of possession so the D is gassed in the 4th.

And we are exposed on National TV.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-14-2020, 10:25 AM
I've always supported ben but you dont need to pay a QB 30 million dollars to run this garbage offense

maybe his elbow is shot because I'm not seeing the velocity or accuracy on his deep and intermediate throws tje last month or so. the throw to Washington looked like an aberration compared to most of his passes last night

pfelix73
12-14-2020, 10:53 AM
I’ve been saying this for weeks now. The loss of munchak, injuries and development of young players have our O-line in tatters. We can’t effectively run block, pass block only works because of Ben’s quick release, they aren’t imposing or pushing anyone around.

So we don’t sustain drives, we don’t control the clock, we don’t have time to let plays develop, we lose time of possession so the D is gassed in the 4th.

And we are exposed on National TV.

Their 1st drive last night was pass pass pass. 1st play a drop by Johnson.

So, you cannot say the running game failed them on the 1st series and others, as they didn't even attempt a run in that 1st series.

feltdizz
12-14-2020, 10:55 AM
Ben looks shot. Anything past 10 yards is a toss up. What are they practicing?

Seems like the coaches actually believed if they just had Ben we could keep the same philosophy the next year and win 12 to 13 games and hey.. they aren’t far off.

The problem is this team is built to win one way and it seems to only work against teams that have spotty QB play or teams that just aren’t that good.

Almost feels like Ben is holding us hostage

Starlifter
12-14-2020, 11:13 AM

So, you cannot say the running game failed them on the 1st series and others, as they didn't even attempt a run in that 1st series.

Is that an abandon of the run or recognizing they can’t impose their will and have no choice?

Either way, it’s friggin awful offense.

Eich
12-14-2020, 11:19 AM

Seems like the coaches actually believed if they just had Ben we could keep the same philosophy the next year and win 12 to 13 games and hey.. they aren’t far off.

The problem is this team is built to win one way and it seems to only work against teams that have spotty QB play or teams that just aren’t that good.

I don't agree. I think Ben is playing the only way he's able to play, under the circumstances. He's behind a line that really can't run or pass block. And now, most of them are injured. The only solution for that is to get rid of it under 3 seconds. Through 11 games, he was pretty darn good at that.

If we had a line that could protect him for 3-4 seconds, I think Ben can still throw the intermediate routes perfectly fine.

The problem with all of it is that our receivers forgot how to catch.

It's a perfect storm of issues on offense. Immobile Ben. Line that can't block. Receivers that can't catch.

And the stellar defense is now hampered with a string of key injuries.

SteelBucks
12-14-2020, 11:31 AM

I’d argue the play calling is also holding us hostage. The 3 yard out patterns and bubble screens have got to go. Every aspect of the offense is a dumpster fire right now.

KYPITTFAN
12-14-2020, 11:39 AM
The problem is the game plan, we just don't no who is in charge of it, Ben, OC, or Tomlin. The game plane is to keep Ben health and playing the entire season because we have no legit back up QB. The game plan of dink and dunk passing keeps him from getting hit and hurt, that has worked to perfectly. We are going to be in the playoff's with our starting QB. Now, the problem is all the teams have caught onto our game and crowd the line. With all those on the line Ben still has to get rid of the ball fast or he will get hit and hurt. Now that leaves you with no run game and even when the passes are caught they are short of the line to gain a first down. Our line can not run block nor pass block long enough to test a down field game plan. All of this I am sure of but not being a NFL coach I have no idea if you can change this up in three weeks. Defense is still good but not great with all the injuries. They can be had!!

feltdizz
12-14-2020, 11:57 AM
I don't agree. I think Ben is playing the only way he's able to play, under the circumstances. He's behind a line that really can't run or pass block. And now, most of them are injured. The only solution for that is to get rid of it under 3 seconds. Through 11 games, he was pretty darn good at that.

If we had a line that could protect him for 3-4 seconds, I think Ben can still throw the intermediate routes perfectly fine.

The problem with all of it is that our receivers forgot how to catch.

It's a perfect storm of issues on offense. Immobile Ben. Line that can't block. Receivers that can't catch.

And the stellar defense is now hampered with a string of key injuries.

Not sure i agree. I think half the time we aren’t even trying to see if the other routes are possible. Ben is chucking it and he isn’t being pressured most times. Its just our play calling right now.

Hell, I would prefer Ben gets sacked a few times and wakes up from this fog of dink and dunk. We wanted him to take what the D gives for years but now dude isn’t even seeing what the D is giving us.. he’s just 2 steps and throws it regardless of the coverage or if the guy is actually open.

SteelBucks
12-14-2020, 11:59 AM
All I know is we’ve had two straight games where the opponent made great halftime adjustments on offense. No adjustments on our part...we’re still running the same dink and dunk offense and expecting different results.

It’s time to re-examine everything. We got 3 weeks to figure this out or it’s one and done in the playoffs.

NorthCoast
12-14-2020, 12:03 PM
The tough part of this for me is that this offense isn't even fun to watch. It's more like 'who's going to screw up and kill this possession'.

Dan Patrick:

"Steelers offense has no oomph. They don't have an identity. They can't run the ball and are not good at passing it"
"that receiver DJ can be a really good receiver if he could catch the ball. the problem is he can't, so he's not good"

flippy
12-14-2020, 12:21 PM
We wanted him to take what the D gives for years but now dude isn’t even seeing what the D is giving us.. he’s just 2 steps and throws it regardless of the coverage or if the guy is actually open.

Im just not sure Ben is a cerebral QB. I think he’s big, tough, resilient, hard to take down, and has (maybe had) a big arm.

Bens always made mistakes like the pick 6 but we lived with it because he’d pull a rabbit out of a hat and make a ridiculous play.

Now the problem is Ben has to adapt a d he doesn’t seem to have the rocket arm to bail him out.

All he has left is his pump fake. But we don’t even see the pump fake often because it would kill his 2 second releases.

Steel Maniac
12-14-2020, 01:41 PM
The tough part of this for me is that this offense isn't even fun to watch. It's more like 'who's going to screw up and kill this possession'.

Dan Patrick:

"Steelers offense has no oomph. They don't have an identity. They can't run the ball and are not good at passing it"
"that receiver DJ can be a really good receiver if he could catch the ball. the problem is he can't, so he's not good"

Boom.................

Ghost
12-14-2020, 01:55 PM
I don't have an answer, but why have they become so 1 dimensional? What caused the wheels to come off. They didn't start the season that way. The first 5 games were all over 100 yards rushing - 141, 109, 169, 136, 129. Game 6 was the first under a 100 at 94. But these last three are rough - 68, 21, 47. Did the line forget how to block after week 5? Its such a stark contrast from where they were to what they've become.

Northern_Blitz
12-14-2020, 02:30 PM
I don't have an answer, but why have they become so 1 dimensional? What caused the wheels to come off. They didn't start the season that way. The first 5 games were all over 100 yards rushing - 141, 109, 169, 136, 129. Game 6 was the first under a 100 at 94. But these last three are rough - 68, 21, 47. Did the line forget how to block after week 5? Its such a stark contrast from where they were to what they've become.

I think it's that teams realized that they didn't have to respect the deep ball too much and they could put more guys closer to the LoS.

But even still, if we fixed the drop problem I think we blow Baltimore out, win in WSH, and still lose to Buf.

If that was course of events I think we'd all feel a lot better about this team than we do now.

hawaiiansteel
12-14-2020, 02:41 PM
our offense is offensive.

Chucktownsteeler
12-14-2020, 02:56 PM
I think it's that teams realized that they didn't have to respect the deep ball too much and they could put more guys closer to the LoS.

But even still, if we fixed the drop problem I think we blow Baltimore out, win in WSH, and still lose to Buf.

If that was course of events I think we'd all feel a lot better about this team than we do now.

This is correct, I could have sworn I saw 9 and sometimes 10 in the box last night. No team is going to run successfully with defenses stacked like that.

NorthCoast
12-14-2020, 03:29 PM
I don't have an answer, but why have they become so 1 dimensional? What caused the wheels to come off. They didn't start the season that way. The first 5 games were all over 100 yards rushing - 141, 109, 169, 136, 129. Game 6 was the first under a 100 at 94. But these last three are rough - 68, 21, 47. Did the line forget how to block after week 5? Its such a stark contrast from where they were to what they've become.The first month and a half, NFL defenses were not good. Remember offenses were on a record scoring binge? Defenses now have enough tape to know what teams strengths and weaknesses are. And scoring has come down with it.

Add to this that the Steelers have only played a couple of games against experienced starter QBs. The defense took advantage in a big way and led the league in TO margin against them. More offensive possessions=more scoring.

Northern_Blitz
12-14-2020, 04:43 PM
The first month and a half, NFL defenses were not good. Remember offenses were on a record scoring binge? Defenses now have enough tape to know what teams strengths and weaknesses are. And scoring has come down with it.

Add to this that the Steelers have only played a couple of games against experienced starter QBs. The defense took advantage in a big way and led the league in TO margin against them. More offensive possessions=more scoring.

Hadn't thought of it this way, but I bet there's some truth to this.

NJ-STEELER
12-14-2020, 07:06 PM

claypool came on a sweep the first series

NorthCoast
12-14-2020, 08:17 PM

Almost feels like Ben is holding us hostageRoethlisberger isn't holding us hostage....but his contract is.

NorthCoast
12-14-2020, 08:31 PM
Ben Roethlisberger: ‘Defenses Can Play Fast If You Can’t Run The Ball’

Fixed that for you Roethlisberger:

Ben Roethlisberger: 'Defenses Can Play Fast If You Can't Complete a Pass More Than 5 Yds"

NorthCoast
12-14-2020, 11:07 PM
Stat o' the Day:

Avg Depth of Target:

2020 Roethlisberger: 6.9 yds
2019 Rudolph: 7.6 yds
2019 Hodges: 6.3 yds

JIMBO
12-15-2020, 11:32 AM
Didn't we bring in Derek Watt as a special teams guy AND a fullback . I haven't seen him blocking or pass protecting . I would think that would help Ben or at least slow down the pass rush so he has more time. Such is Fichtner's game plan!