View Full Version : Teams whose 2021 RB1 isn't on their roster

hawaiiansteel
12-10-2020, 01:23 AM
Teams whose 2021 RB1 isn't on their roster

Published: Dec 09, 2020
Maurice Jones-Drew

Pittsburgh Steelers
2020 · 11-1-0

Current RBs: James Conner, Benny Snell, Anthony McFarland, Jaylen Samuels, Trey Edmunds

The Steelers' ground attack has been anything but great over the last seven weeks, with Pittsburgh failing to top 100 rushing yards in all but one game (Week 11, when the Steelers ran for 106 yards vs. Jacksonville) in that span. Conner has been the offense's most efficient back this season, averaging 4.4 rushing yards per carry, but he's missed the last two games since testing positive for COVID-19. The circumstances of this latest absence are unique, but the unfortunate fact remains that Conner has not yet started more than 12 games in any of his four NFL seasons thus far. The former third-rounder is set to hit free agency this coming offseason, and as much as the Steelers like him, I don't know how they justify paying a guy who isn't always readily available. Snell, McFarland and Samuels have all been fine, but trotting one of these guys out there as the Day 1 starter tasked with complementing a stellar air attack doesn't excite me much. Looks like it's back to the draft for Pittsburgh.

https://www.nfl.com/news/rb-index-week-14-teams-whose-2021-rb1-isn-t-on-their-roster

NorthCoast
12-10-2020, 09:15 AM
Here's the problem; I don't think I'm alone in thinking most of the issues with the run game can be tied to the OL. Unfortunately the OL is not getting completely rebuilt until Roethlisberger is gone since his buds (DD, MP, AV) will be retained until he retires. So, do you continue to waste early picks on RBs who will end up doing nothing behind a crap OL or do you just bide time by looking for eventual OL replacements? While football has changed a lot over the years, I still think it gets done in the trenches. Go OL early, look for RB later.

Northern_Blitz
12-10-2020, 09:41 AM
I think Snell / McFarland can be good enough next season (if we can run block).

I won't be too surprised if we use a fairly early pick on RB, but I do think we'll end up with a bunch of holes on the roster after cap casualties so we may not have the luxury.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-10-2020, 01:05 PM
Here's the problem; I don't think I'm alone in thinking most of the issues with the run game can be tied to the OL. Unfortunately the OL is not getting completely rebuilt until Roethlisberger is gone since his buds (DD, MP, AV) will be retained until he retires. So, do you continue to waste early picks on RBs who will end up doing nothing behind a crap OL or do you just bide time by looking for eventual OL replacements? While football has changed a lot over the years, I still think it gets done in the trenches. Go OL early, look for RB later.

I agree, but I don't necessarily agree that the three linemen you mentioned are fixtures as long as Ben is here. AV is a FA after this season, and I don't know that he comes back. If he does it will not be at a big time LT cost. The other two are both in the final year of their contracts. Even if the Steelers had been planning to appease Ben these years, I see this as a perfect reason to make the move on one or both. Cutting DD saves $8.75M against the cap, cutting MP saves $8M. I've been saying it for at least two years, so eventually I hope to be right, but I'll call for the release of Pouncey this off-season.

NorthCoast
12-10-2020, 04:45 PM
I agree, but I don't necessarily agree that the three linemen you mentioned are fixtures as long as Ben is here. AV is a FA after this season, and I don't know that he comes back. If he does it will not be at a big time LT cost. The other two are both in the final year of their contracts. Even if the Steelers had been planning to appease Ben these years, I see this as a perfect reason to make the move on one or both. Cutting DD saves $8.75M against the cap, cutting MP saves $8M. I've been saying it for at least two years, so eventually I hope to be right, but I'll call for the release of Pouncey this off-season.Good points on the financials. Certainly expect that these are considerations and, just maybe Roethlisberger hangs it up if one or more of those guys don't return? Too early to worry about that stuff now (as long as someone in the org is doing it :D)

SteelerOfDeVille
12-10-2020, 04:55 PM
they know our run game is struggling because of the short passes, right? that kind of game tends to suck safeties up closer to the box to help on all those short passes. ya may as well be running sweeps on every play

you'd have to have Barry sanders back there in order to have a dangerous running game....

steeler_george
12-10-2020, 05:06 PM
I think yes we do need an upgrade at RB, but I am thinking this team needs so much more: TE, OL, especially when we are going to have only 1 T on roster, ILB, DB, and the DL isn't getting younger.

hawaiiansteel
12-10-2020, 09:51 PM
you'd have to have Barry sanders back there in order to have a dangerous running game....

none of us might know who Barry Sanders is if he had been running behind this offensive line...

Disco1981
12-10-2020, 10:11 PM
none of us might know who Barry Sanders is if he had been running behind this offensive line...

You're right!

Eich
12-11-2020, 09:12 AM
Derrick Henry, Bettis in his prime, Barry Sanders - no one is going to be successful when the opposing D is in your backfield.

I don't put this mess on losing Munchak either. He's great and all, but professional linemen don't just forget fundamentals in blocking. This is a decline in ability issue IMO.

I really think the Steelers need to start making some changes on the line and getting a WHOLE lot more creative with play calling.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-11-2020, 12:43 PM
Derrick Henry, Bettis in his prime, Barry Sanders - no one is going to be successful when the opposing D is in your backfield.

I don't put this mess on losing Munchak either. He's great and all, but professional linemen don't just forget fundamentals in blocking. This is a decline in ability issue IMO.

I really think the Steelers need to start making some changes on the line and getting a WHOLE lot more creative with play calling.

Preach brother. :Clap

feltdizz
12-11-2020, 12:50 PM

You don’t give up on the run because a few plays didn’t work early in the game.

and Barry Sanders had a ton of tackles for losses because he was always dodging defenders in the backfield. He was just insane and had guys breaking ankles with his talent.

Imagine if we abandoned the pass because of a few early incompletions.

105 passes in 2 games when leading in 7 of 8 quarters is just ignoring the run intentionally.

Disco1981
12-11-2020, 12:58 PM
You don’t give up on the run because a few plays didn’t work early in the game.

and Barry Sanders had a ton of tackles for losses because he was always dodging defenders in the backfield. He was just insane and had guys breaking ankles with his talent.

Imagine if we abandoned the pass because of a few early incompletions.

105 passes in 2 games when leading in 7 of 8 quarters is just ignoring the run intentionally.

We don't have anyone even remotely close to Barry Sanders talent on this team so, Why would you mention his name?

I know, Because you're Radio... ANOTHER quality post there Bud lolololololol...This, I why people love to read your posts lolololololol

Chucktownsteeler
12-11-2020, 01:28 PM
If I were the Steelers I would address the RB position no later than round 2.

feltdizz
12-11-2020, 01:42 PM

I would address the OL first.

Chucktownsteeler
12-11-2020, 02:08 PM

There are a few good centers worthy of round 1. I'd select one if they are there when we pick. Then I would select a RB round 2.

1.) Creed Humprey, C, Oklahoma
2.) Najee Harris, RB, Alabama (moved up in Round 2) - ala Le'Veon Bell

Probably won't happen (but needs to happen), but that would be my selections.

Chucktownsteeler
12-11-2020, 02:16 PM
It still pains me that we took Edmunds (who was a 3rd round projection by some) in the 1st, ahead of Nick Chubb.

feltdizz
12-11-2020, 02:27 PM
It still pains me that we took Edmunds (who was a 3rd round projection by some) in the 1st, ahead of Nick Chubb.

just remember this team is still 11-1 and hasn’t made a commitment to the run a priority. I would be frustrated if our secondary sucked but its top 5.

I was a huge Sonny Michel fan but he hasn’t impressed up in NE with that OL.

I like Harris as well but I think he is going to be a late first rounder.

I really think until we upgrade our OL the RB position will frustrate us due to our philosophy on offense.

Steel Maniac
12-11-2020, 04:28 PM

As much as I want to go Linebacker in the early rounds, I too would seriously consider going RB if the right guy where there. I'm talking about a difference making RB thou.

NJ-STEELER
12-12-2020, 08:16 AM
its early, but i took a look anyway
there's a lot of OT ranked in the top 2 rounds right now. if there's a LT on board in round 1, i would consider one. ihate taking center that early as i feel good ones can be had later in the draft.
and holy crap, there's a minny OT listed at 6'9 400 LBs

looking at the rb class, i found it interesting that 2 RBs out of the state of oklahoma are being projected in the 3rd round.
think everyone know a little about chubba. this oklahoma RB stevenson looks intriguing.
bigger guy that doesn't go down on first contact and looks to have some quick feet

NorthCoast
12-12-2020, 08:37 AM
M Hodge said Steelers RBs are just not all that good.

But he also said the OL was getting completely blown up on running plays during the WAS game. Pretty much confirming what we are saying.
He also said the Snell and McFly are having trouble in pass pro.

Steel Maniac
12-13-2020, 10:30 PM
M Hodge said Steelers RBs are just not all that good.

But he also said the OL was getting completely blown up on running plays during the WAS game. Pretty much confirming what we are saying.
He also said the Snell and McFly are having trouble in pass pro.

There you have it .

hawaiiansteel
12-14-2020, 02:56 PM
I think we will go OL and RB in the first two rounds of the draft this year.

Chucktownsteeler
12-14-2020, 02:57 PM
I think we will go OL and RB in the first two rounds of the draft this year.

Agrees, the 1st 2 rounds have to be offense and the middle rounds OL. We need big nasties.

NorthCoast
12-14-2020, 03:17 PM
I think we will go OL and RB in the first two rounds of the draft this year.So you're good with the Steelers LB situation? (cause I have concerns)

hawaiiansteel
12-14-2020, 03:28 PM
So you're good with the Steelers LB situation? (cause I have concerns)

we're getting Bush back to help with the ILB depth.

and OLB all depends on whether or not we re-sign Dupree.

Steel Maniac
12-14-2020, 03:40 PM
So you're good with the Steelers LB situation? (cause I have concerns)

Our linebacking situation is dire to say the least.

Chucktownsteeler
12-14-2020, 04:00 PM
Our linebacking situation is dire to say the least.

I don't agree. it's dire now because of injuries but we should be fine next year. We need this draft to improve the offense, pure and simple.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-14-2020, 10:43 PM
we're getting Bush back to help with the ILB depth.

and OLB all depends on whether or not we re-sign Dupree.

Agreed, OL a must early. After that it depends on Dupree (OLB), RB, QB (Ben), WR (JuJu), TE....lots of options.

Steel Maniac
12-14-2020, 10:51 PM
I don't agree. it's dire now because of injuries but we should be fine next year. We need this draft to improve the offense, pure and simple.

Well injuries happen every year. Our depth at linebacker isn’t good. We can go O-line , linebacker in our first two picks. We can still get a good RB in the 3rd qtr.

hawaiiansteel
12-15-2020, 04:01 PM
We can still get a good RB in the 3rd qtr.

you mean right after halftime?

SteelerOfDeVille
12-15-2020, 05:06 PM
it's all a chain of events. the run game sucks because short passes bring defenders up to the LOS. When you have 8 in the box and 5 linemen, you're not going to win that battle in the run game.

Ben needs to use Claypool deep... and if the doesn't, then I'd like ot see QB addressed first.

RichD
12-15-2020, 09:14 PM
Need to try and trade Pouncy and De Castro instead of release them. Both of them are football OLD, we need to move on. Those guys have gave it all but their bodies are beat up . But I could see a team giving us a 5th rounder .Time to rebuild the OL again . Plain and not so simple. Let AV walk. Dotson /Chucks and Zach on a cheap build value deal. 2 Tackles and a G and the usual suspects is whats left .Draft OL all day long . Zero point in drafting a RB or QB until we get the OL gelled .

RichD
12-15-2020, 09:24 PM
Getting rid of Pouncy may push Ben out the door . Good or Bad I can`t decide after the last few weeks .But I`m ready to clean house If we don`t win it all this year.

Steel Maniac
12-15-2020, 11:42 PM
Getting rid of Pouncy may push Ben out the door . Good or Bad I can`t decide after the last few weeks .But I`m ready to clean house If we don`t win it all this year.

At this point, we need to stop catering to Ben. If he wants to quit because Pouncey is gone then he can leave. Stop letting players hold us hostage.

Captain Lemming
12-16-2020, 12:23 AM
At this point, we need to stop catering to Ben. If he wants to quit because Pouncey is gone then he can leave. Stop letting players hold us hostage.

Sad but true.
We have to let DD and Pouncey go, yes via trade if possible.
I dont care what Ben says.

Let me add, I like Tomlin as coach but my biggest criticism is he and Colbert seem loyal to a fault.

Oviedo
12-16-2020, 08:25 AM

Before you start "pushing people out the door" you need to make sure you have competent replacements or commit to several years of mediocrity...or worse

Oviedo
12-16-2020, 08:25 AM
Sad but true.

Let me add, I like Tomlin as coach but my biggest criticism is he and Colbert seem loyal to a fault.

Its not loyalty if they are your best option. Its common sense

feltdizz
12-16-2020, 11:03 AM
Before you start "pushing people out the door" you need to make sure you have competent replacements or commit to several years of mediocrity...or worse

its Madden 2020 for a lot of people. Just replace them with guys better than them and all is solved.

Oviedo
12-16-2020, 11:15 AM
its Madden 2020 for a lot of people. Just replace them with guys better than them and all is solved.

"Fantasy Football" has ruined good coherent and sound discussion on football.

feltdizz
12-16-2020, 11:18 AM
it's all a chain of events. the run game sucks because short passes bring defenders up to the LOS. When you have 8 in the box and 5 linemen, you're not going to win that battle in the run game.

Ben needs to use Claypool deep... and if the doesn't, then I'd like ot see QB addressed first.

its obvious the chemistry is off on the deep balls.

Maybe its me but it sure seems like some of those passes to Claypool are like punts.. it feels like Ben is trying to draw PI’s and not actually complete passes.

feels like they aren’t practicing those throws a lot in practice.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-16-2020, 12:23 PM

It might not be Madden, but it is Moneyball. Especially in a salary cap league. Funny enough, the one sport where you literally can plug and play a guy just based on talent is the one sport without a salary cap (just a luxury tax).

Now, JC Hassenauer is not the guy, but if you can find a slightly better guy, at a fraction of the cost of a declining Pouncey, Ben accepts the fact that his BFF wasn't pulling his weight and it's time to go, and you now have money to either get under the cap, or spend elsewhere, you have to consider it for him and DD.

It's tough to rebuild a line, but a) it is a crap line right now, b) you might have to let big salaries go if the cap goes way down, or c) Even if the cap doesn't go down, you might need that money to sign Bud, Hilton, Sutton, replacement linemen etc. Guys who are playing above the line.

feltdizz
12-16-2020, 12:47 PM
It might not be Madden, but it is Moneyball. Especially in a salary cap league. Funny enough, the one sport where you literally can plug and play a guy just based on talent is the one sport without a salary cap (just a luxury tax).

Now, JC Hassenauer is not the guy, but if you can find a slightly better guy, at a fraction of the cost of a declining Pouncey, Ben accepts the fact that his BFF wasn't pulling his weight and it's time to go, and you now have money to either get under the cap, or spend elsewhere, you have to consider it for him and DD.

It's tough to rebuild a line, but a) it is a crap line right now, b) you might have to let big salaries go if the cap goes way down, or c) Even if the cap doesn't go down, you might need that money to sign Bud, Hilton, Sutton, replacement linemen etc. Guys who are playing above the line.

I would definitely sign Bud (at a reduced price due to injury) over DD or Pouncey.

but I think some of these issues with this OL aren’t age or declining play. Its philosophy. We paid Ben a tom of cash and it wasn’t to hand the ball off all day. Our OL is built for pass protection and O don’t buy that they can’t protect for
more than 1.1 seconds. We aren’t even seeing if the OL can block for more than 3 seconds.

We are a pass happy team and until we want to be a run dominant team we will see guys doing the same thing regardless of their age or talent.

I definitely think AV is done. I think DD is still injured.

Northern_Blitz
12-16-2020, 02:03 PM

This.

We need to make some significant roster construction decisions this off season.

Unfortunately, previous decisions might / will make it so that we lose some ascending talent in favor of some declining talent.

That's the price we pay for trying to win this year. And I think it was probably worth it (because the window is short).

NorthCoast
12-16-2020, 02:16 PM
Sad but true.

Let me add, I like Tomlin as coach but my biggest criticism is he and Colbert seem loyal to a fault.Pretty much like stock investing. The hardest part is deciding when to sell.

In Tomlin's own words; 'this is a results based business. if you don't produce results, you will be replaced by someone that can'.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-16-2020, 02:41 PM
Another factor is who is most likely ready to step in day one as a hhigh draft pick?

An Edge rusher and not sign Bud to a $17M/yr contract?
Center and save $8M by cutting Pouncey in 2021?
Guard and save $8.75M by cutting DD in 2021?
Tackle and don't re-sign AV? Or can you start the season with Chuks at LT, sign Banner to a smaller contract to play RT, and draft depth instead of a starter?
Corner and save $7M by cutting Haden?
Is there a QB in case Ben is toast and save $19M?

So much to wait and see.

feltdizz
12-16-2020, 02:51 PM
Another factor is who is most likely ready to step in day one as a hhigh draft pick?

An Edge rusher and not sign Bud to a $17M/yr contract?
Center and save $8M by cutting Pouncey in 2021?
Guard and save $8.75M by cutting DD in 2021?
Tackle and don't re-sign AV? Or can you start the season with Chuks at LT, sign Banner to a smaller contract to play RT, and draft depth instead of a starter?
Corner and save $7M by cutting Haden?
Is there a QB in case Ben is toast and save $19M?

So much to wait and see.

I doubt we can replace all that and be competitive next year. Unless Ben moves on I think we see one more year of Ben, Pouncey, DD and maybe even Conner on a one year deal. I don’t think anyone else is going to throw a bunch of money at Conner.

After next year.. start the rebuild.

feltdizz
12-16-2020, 02:52 PM
This.

We need to make some significant roster construction decisions this off season.

Unfortunately, previous decisions might / will make it so that we lose some ascending talent in favor of some declining talent.

That's the price we pay for trying to win this year. And I think it was probably worth it (because the window is short).

When we signed Ben we announced we had a 3 year window. Hopefully after next year we part ways because his next contract will be way too high IMO.

hawaiiansteel
12-16-2020, 11:19 PM
Arians didn’t believe in a FB and Fichtner doesn’t believe in RBs.

Northern_Blitz
12-17-2020, 06:17 AM
When we signed Ben we announced we had a 3 year window. Hopefully after next year we part ways because his next contract will be way too high IMO.

I think it's after this year or after 2 or 3 years.

His cap hit is too high for him to play through the last year. We need to cut him out extend him.

I think we'll extend baring a catastrophic next 4 games.

Northern_Blitz
12-17-2020, 06:19 AM
I doubt we can replace all that and be competitive next year. Unless Ben moves on I think we see one more year of Ben, Pouncey, DD and maybe even Conner on a one year deal. I don’t think anyone else is going to throw a bunch of money at Conner.

There's also WR and let Juju walk.

And I don't think we get to keep more than 2 (maybe 3) on the list above.

But like TO said, there's a lot of wait and see. Particularly with what the cap ends up being.

Oviedo
12-17-2020, 09:33 AM
I would definitely sign Bud (at a reduced price due to injury) over DD or Pouncey.

but I think some of these issues with this OL aren’t age or declining play. Its philosophy. We paid Ben a tom of cash and it wasn’t to hand the ball off all day. Our OL is built for pass protection and O don’t buy that they can’t protect for
more than 1.1 seconds. We aren’t even seeing if the OL can block for more than 3 seconds.

We are a pass happy team and until we want to be a run dominant team we will see guys doing the same thing regardless of their age or talent.

I definitely think AV is done. I think DD is still injured.

I don't think AV has given up a sack all season and may be the highest rated OL.

feltdizz
12-17-2020, 09:50 AM
I don't think AV has given up a sack all season and may be the highest rated OL.

lmao.. no one on the OL has given up a sack in like 300 snaps due to our zero route offense.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-17-2020, 02:34 PM

Absolutely no way we can replace all of these players and still be competitive, nor can we keep them all in a salary cap league. That's why we don't get paid the big bucks. Lots of big decisions to be made.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-17-2020, 02:38 PM

That's why I hate the PFF rankings. Because they don't compare apples to apples. For example, if Ben takes the shotgun snap and releases within two seconds, and the player who you are blocking does not get near him first, then you get a check mark. If it is 2010 and Ben takes a snap and the LT holds off his rusher, and holds him off, and holds him off, but then he gets free, and because Ben still has the ball then the OT did not do his job and gets an X. Not sure what exactly the criteria are, but the requirements vary depending on other factors.

hawaiiansteel
12-17-2020, 11:15 PM
any word yet on whether Conner or Snell will be starting against the Bungles?

steeler_george
12-20-2020, 01:03 PM
As much as I want to go Linebacker in the early rounds, I too would seriously consider going RB if the right guy where there. I'm talking about a difference making RB thou.

Same here! I want an ILB to line up with a healthy Bush. And no I am not hating VW, but we all know he is overachieving.

hawaiiansteel
12-27-2020, 12:05 AM
the Dolphins drafted RB Myles Gaskin in the 7th round last year, hopefully we can find a new starting RB in this next draft.

steeler_george
12-27-2020, 06:14 AM
Same here! I want an ILB to line up with a healthy Bush. And no I am not hating VW, but we all know he is overachieving.

Did you know VW is going to cost us 7 million next year...

Love Vance, but cutting him can save us 3-4 million.

Northern_Blitz
12-27-2020, 06:42 AM

Yep.

I think he's gone unless he agrees to a huge pay cut... Which almost never happens.

I think we'll try to resign Spillane or Williamson on the cheap and see if a good one falls to us somewhere in the draft. But we'll have lots of holes to fill I think.

NorthCoast
12-27-2020, 09:36 AM
That's why I hate the PFF rankings. Because they don't compare apples to apples. For example, if Ben takes the shotgun snap and releases within two seconds, and the player who you are blocking does not get near him first, then you get a check mark. If it is 2010 and Ben takes a snap and the LT holds off his rusher, and holds him off, and holds him off, but then he gets free, and because Ben still has the ball then the OT did not do his job and gets an X. Not sure what exactly the criteria are, but the requirements vary depending on other factors.Even with the quick passing, the Steelers are tied for 7th most offensive holding penalties. This, in a season where OL can pretty much do anything short of tackling a guy.

hawaiiansteel
12-27-2020, 03:21 PM
7 rushes for 4 yards in the first half, we're hitting new lows in the running game.

NJ-STEELER
12-27-2020, 03:32 PM

more then that. i believe his dead cap hit is zero.

we can have a rookie free agent at a minimum salary play as bad as him

NorthCoast
12-27-2020, 03:36 PM
Tanking for [ fill in the blank ]